BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2011-05-08 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3488225

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca
Subject: RE: Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed

mwp1054 - 2011-05-08 5:21 PM
hypoxic - 2011-05-08 6:34 PMI inhaled my first bug today on my run - I am sure it wont be the last.  BTW why do they call it a brick??    Have a good night, all - K
Brick=bike-run-ick.

Bike Run It Can Kill

thats is another one i have heard

2011-05-08 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3488154

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

hypoxic - 2011-05-08 4:34 PM I inhaled my first bug today on my run - I am sure it wont be the last.  BTW why do they call it a brick??    Have a good night, all - K

i run a few trails that are right next to streams. when the weather warms the bugs realy get out near the humid creek sides and it's a protein aid station every 30 feet

2011-05-08 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3487715

Regular
Spruce Grove

Thanks so much for sharing your race report QueerDrummer! I think it's given me some tips to prep for my try-a-tri coming up this weekend - plus it was just interesting to read! Thanks!

Threejs - 2011-05-08 9:33 AM

Congrats on the awesome race!  Love the photos!

Happy Mother's day to all the Moms out there

2011-05-08 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3487922

Regular
Spruce Grove

And I'm still wishing I could get up to your speed! Hope you are able to get to the pace you want soon!

willrunforchocolate - 2011-05-08 1:29 PM

I am embarrassed to even post this, but I ran a really crappy 5k this morning.  This is only my second of the season.  The first was horrible also, but I had only been running for three weeks after 2 months of injury.  Now I have worked myself up to half marathon mileage but my time was 2 seconds SLOWER!!!  It is beyond disappointing.

My heart rate was elevated (zone 4) the entire time so I was pushing very hard but I was just exhausted.  I can't even use my bum knee as an excuse as it only had the usual stiffness and no pain.  I think I need to really get my running mileage back up, and get my weight back down.  I am 12 pounds heavier than my profile photo (taken in December) and 7 pounds heavier than the March 5k.

No more excuses.  I need to work hard to get out of this rut.  I did post a race report in case anyone is interested.  It basically says "I am fat and slow!"  http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=251332

Jacqui

2011-05-09 12:39 AM
in reply to: #3286171

Veteran

Had our own little Mother's Day Brick today!  Rented bikes and rode around Coronado Island.  Returned the bikes and jogged to the pizza place for dinner

2011-05-09 6:43 AM

User image

Regular
Minnesota

Jacqui,   I want to echo everyone who said don't beat yourself up over this. It was not a disaster and many people would be happy to have run as well as you did, but I know it was disappointing to you.  That race is now in the past. Today is a new day to move forward toward your goal. Don't overdo it and risk injury, but keep that goal in front of you and know that you can do it.

2011-05-09 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3488225

User image

That is hilarious - is that seriously why they call it that?  At any rate, I am doing my first one next tuesday.
2011-05-09 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Jacqui

Don't worry about this so much.  I know that it's easier said than done but geez, a sub 30 minute 5k is something a lot of people would be tickled with!  As far as your speed -- 2 second is nothing to worry.  I'll bet that after your time off, you have not had a chance to do any speed work.  

As you said, you were working hard.  Your half marathon was only a week ago!  You are not fully recovered.

2011-05-09 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3488839

User image

hypoxic - 2011-05-09 8:17 AM That is hilarious - is that seriously why they call it that?  At any rate, I am doing my first one next tuesday.

If you have your first BRICK workout coming up, you need to be mentally prepared for it.  I'll share a funny story.  Last year I took a buddy of mine out for a BRICK.  He was training for his first tri.  He's a strong marathoner, very strong in fact.  We did a 35 mile ride and it was windy as hell coming back, like 20 mph headwind.  He was drafting on me the entire way (not sure he knew he was).  He decided I was not going fast enough after about 10 miles of pulling him along, he goes around me, could not complete the pass and falls back saying it's much nicer in my wake.  We get to my house and quick transition to the run.  We're about a block into this and he's freaking out.  Says he must have injured himself or something because his legs are not working right!  It all normalized for him after about 2 miles. 

Moral of the story, when you run after a decent length ride, your legs, quads in particular, will feel like jello.  The good news is that it does go away.  It just takes some time.  The more you do it, the more you get used to it.  It's why triathlon is hard, and the longer you go, the harder it gets. 

2011-05-09 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3488896

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Thanks everybody! Wow, I can't believe I'm not a newbie anymore! One thing that really stood out for me (for anyone approaching their first tri) is how fast it was over. I mean, the race was easier both mentally & physically than most of my training! And so many months of work leading up to the race, but then you're so in the moment and it's over before you know it. So a) don't stress - if you've trained properly, and conditions cooperate, a Sprint is likely gonna be a breeze and b) SAVOR EVERY MINUTE cos it just flies by. I even enjoyed getting passed by probably dozens of people on the run. I had a big grin on my face and wasn't even looking at my watch.

Thanks for all the support & training tips! Not sure I'll fit another tri in this season since I have a lot of other stuff planned, but I'm already looking forward to next year! I want to do the same Sprint again and improve my PR, plus attempt at least one sprint, if not more, with an open-water swim. I'm also going to consider upping my distance to Olympic. I know I can do it now!

Jacqui, I agree with everyone else who commented. While mentally, your race wasn't where you wanted it, you succeeded in racing without pain and I hope you can appreciate what an accomplishment that is in itself. As you know, structuring your eating habits & nutrition better will help even if you didn't change anything about your training. Food is as much a training challenge as getting out the door to run. Get back on top of it and your times will drop off with the pounds! You are awesome and there's always another race.

2011-05-09 5:10 PM
in reply to: #3489303

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca
QueerDrummer - 2011-05-09 9:22 AM

Thanks everybody! Wow, I can't believe I'm not a newbie anymore! One thing that really stood out for me (for anyone approaching their first tri) is how fast it was over. I mean, the race was easier both mentally & physically than most of my training! And so many months of work leading up to the race, but then you're so in the moment and it's over before you know it. So a) don't stress - if you've trained properly, and conditions cooperate, a Sprint is likely gonna be a breeze and b) SAVOR EVERY MINUTE cos it just flies by. I even enjoyed getting passed by probably dozens of people on the run. I had a big grin on my face and wasn't even looking at my watch.

Thanks for all the support & training tips! Not sure I'll fit another tri in this season since I have a lot of other stuff planned, but I'm already looking forward to next year! I want to do the same Sprint again and improve my PR, plus attempt at least one sprint, if not more, with an open-water swim. I'm also going to consider upping my distance to Olympic. I know I can do it now!

Jacqui, I agree with everyone else who commented. While mentally, your race wasn't where you wanted it, you succeeded in racing without pain and I hope you can appreciate what an accomplishment that is in itself. As you know, structuring your eating habits & nutrition better will help even if you didn't change anything about your training. Food is as much a training challenge as getting out the door to run. Get back on top of it and your times will drop off with the pounds! You are awesome and there's always another race.

come on Henry! the fun has just begun! I'm sure i can find numerous ones in the Minneapolis
area at all times of the year!

2011-05-09 5:14 PM

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

http://www.trifind.com/re_34152/OneLastTri.html

henry, this ones at the end of the year and should be nice and cold for ya

2011-05-09 9:50 PM

User image

Thanks for all the advice and encouraging words on my 5k.  I feel much better today.  My food was spot on and I had a decent bike workout and swim.  Will do some speed intervals during my run tomorrow.

I appreciate all the encouragement!  This is a great group.

Jacqui

2011-05-10 6:11 AM

User image

Here is a pretty good strength workout for those in training that want tone without the bulk.  You try to do it fast, without breaks.  Also, it says the jump rope is optional at the end, it's vital.  That's the best way to build strength in your calves without bulk.  Lifting weights gives you huge muscles that cramp, not good for endurance. 

Workout #2:  Full body strength
Type: Other
Planned duration: 0:45 
Start with 15 push ups (either off feet or knees)
Then 15 dips - either on bench, chair OR gravitron
Then 20 step-ups either on bench OR box - step up with right foot, then bring left foot up, then put left foot on floor, then right foot on floor (now your back to starting postion) THEN up with left foot/then right foot, bring right foot to floor then left foot to floor (again back to starting position) that is 2 reps - do that combo 20x
10 stiff leg deadlifts with dlbells
3 x 45 sec wall squat holds, either with back against the wall OR with stability ball behind you.
25 d.bell hammer curls
15 pull ups on gravitron OR behind head seated pull downs
15 seated d.bell military press with d.bells
OPTIONAL
3 x 1 min of jumping rope.
GO THRU THIS AS PERSCRIBED

2011-05-10 7:00 AM
in reply to: #3490184

User image

Regular
Minnesota
linfieldpt - 2011-05-09 5:10 PM
QueerDrummer - 2011-05-09 9:22 AM Thanks for all the support & training tips! Not sure I'll fit another tri in this season since I have a lot of other stuff planned, but I'm already looking forward to next year! I want to do the same Sprint again and improve my PR, plus attempt at least one sprint, if not more, with an open-water swim. I'm also going to consider upping my distance to Olympic. I know I can do it now!

come on Henry! the fun has just begun! I'm sure i can find numerous ones in the Minneapolis
area at all times of the year!

I'm with Barrett! Henry, you put in a lot of training and the weather is just getting nice. Right in your backyard is the first annual St Paul Triathlon  http://www.optumhealthperformance.com/twincitiestriathlon.php(features a Mississippi River swim--down stream so it will be fast!) on July 24. On that same weekend, I'm doing the Chisago Lakes Sprint which is very popular, a lake swim (tamer than than the Mississip), and you can stick around to watch the half ironmen come in. http://www.midwestsportsevents.com/chisagotri.html  I'm also doing the Lakes County Tri in Baxter  (near Brainerd) which is small (450 competitors max) and I hear it is well-run and it's on August 28. http://www.densdental.com/triathlon.htm  Just in case you find yourself with some extra time this summer....Smile

Edited by ewengler 2011-05-10 7:11 AM
2011-05-10 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3490941

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
You guys are funny! So does anyone ever do an open-water swim w/o a wetsuit? Is that a bad idea? I can't afford one this year.

2011-05-10 3:13 PM

User image

Training in the heat. 

Well, summer has arrived here today, probably be gone tomorrow.  Spring seems to have completely forgotten to come.  We went from 40's and 50's in April to 86 degrees with 85% humidity today, real pleasant for training in May.  I set out on my 2.5 hour hill ride followed by 30 minute run.  I brought the usual amount of water I've been training with and two gels, as I should take one per hour on a hard workout (I know this, I've practiced it, and this is why the rest of the story is a lesson for you all).  So 2 hours and 10 minutes in I'm done with the hills.  Rocked out over 30 miles just on the hill climb portions.  Had HR at max for 3-5 minutes at a time.  Start to head for home, blurry vision, wobbly, want to puke.  Damnit Mark, maybe you should have replaced some of the 1800 calories you just burned as you've successfully emptied the tank idiot!  Take a gel, finish off my ride, transition to run.  Boy, now I really fell like hell.  Struggle through my 30 minutes feeling like a moron, come home.  Log my workout, confess my sins to my coach.  I know better.  She knows I know better.  She knows better, but concedes she walked in her 45 minute run off the bike today.  Said that every one of her athletes reported feeling like hell.

The lesson here, if you're not acclimatized to a training temp, you need to make adjustments.  Adjust your nutrition, adjust your hydration, adjust your intensity.  I did none of the above.  Been riding in 45-50 degree weather and have a 35-40 degree temp jump plus the humidity, you have to make changes.  I forgot to weigh myself after the run, but I did after the shower, after 5-6 glasses of water, a diet coke, and a Cytomax, and I was still 3 pounds lighter than at 6 AM.   Don't screw the pooch, match your training plan to the conditions!

2011-05-10 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3490882

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca
mwp1054 - 2011-05-10 4:11 AM

Here is a pretty good strength workout for those in training that want tone without the bulk.  You try to do it fast, without breaks.  Also, it says the jump rope is optional at the end, it's vital.  That's the best way to build strength in your calves without bulk.  Lifting weights gives you huge muscles that cramp, not good for endurance. 

Then 20 step-ups either on bench OR box - step up with right foot, then bring left foot up, then put left foot on floor, then right foot on floor (now your back to starting postion) THEN up with left foot/then right foot, bring right foot to floor then left foot to floor (again back to starting position) that is 2 reps - do that combo 20x
3 x 45 sec wall squat holds, either with back against the wall OR with stability ball behind you.
25 d.bell hammer curls
OPTIONAL

do you run through this once/twice/three times? seems like if you need it back to back with not a ton of rest you would get through it much faster than 45 min.  Looks like a good workout, I will try it tonight after my run!

2011-05-10 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3492255

User image

linfieldpt - 2011-05-10 4:20 PM
mwp1054 - 2011-05-10 4:11 AM

25 d.bell hammer curls
OPTIONAL

do you run through this once/twice/three times? seems like if you need it back to back with not a ton of rest you would get through it much faster than 45 min.  Looks like a good workout, I will try it tonight after my run!

I usually get it done faster and then do core.  If you're really well trained from a HR perspective, you can blast through it without a lot of issues.  I have different ones that she gives me, and I think I do them 2-3x weekly.  Usually on my lighter days.  They alternate between full body, core focused, strength focus.

2011-05-10 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Okay folks, I caved under the pressure (j/k!) and registered for 2nd triathlon! I'll be attempting my first open-water race at the Chaska River Days Triathlon on July 16th. I figure the water should be warm enough by then to be okay w/o a wetsuit, but if I decide I want to deal with one I'll look into renting.

This race is slightly longer than the Chain of Lakes w/ a 1/3 mile out-and-back swim, a 16-mile cycle and a 5K run.

2011-05-10 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3492287

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-05-10 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3492287

Regular
Minnesota

Right on, Henry! 

I did my first tri in July in Minnesota without a wetsuit and I was not alone though lots of people wore them.   It wasn't cold at all, but a lot of people are just used to swimming in wetsuits.

2011-05-10 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3492519

TSimone - 2011-05-10 8:00 PM
QueerDrummer - 2011-05-10 5:44 PM

Okay folks, I caved under the pressure (j/k!) and registered for 2nd triathlon! I'll be attempting my first open-water race at the Chaska River Days Triathlon on July 16th. I figure the water should be warm enough by then to be okay w/o a wetsuit, but if I decide I want to deal with one I'll look into renting.

This race is slightly longer than the Chain of Lakes w/ a 1/3 mile out-and-back swim, a 16-mile cycle and a 5K run.

First, congrats on your first race!  Second, congrats on entering your second!  Check out Xterra wetsuit rentals.  $49 for a full suit rental and if you like the suit you can buy it for another $90 or so.  If not, just ship it back.

http://rentals.xterrawetsuits.com/

So I say a couple weeks of px90 scale back running and biking, but high intensity, then June 1, full bore tri training! Way to go, you have the bug.
2011-05-10 9:40 PM

Mark,

I'm sorry you had a crappy workout, but it's good to know that I am not alone in having a rough time in the 90 degree weather we had, and that I'm not the only one who "forgot" how to train in hot conditions!  

I did a 6 mile run with 8 speed intervals.  It was total hell.  I walked up big hills and did 7 of the 8 intervals and decided to skip the last one.  Then, about 5 minutes from home, I thought to myself "what would Mark do?"  I was SURE you would not skip the last interval so I half-heartedly did another sprint.  LOL.

It was a good reminder that we need plenty of fluid and electrolytes now that the weather has heated up.  And that it will take a little time to get used to the heat!!  I am exhausted, lol.

Jacqui

2011-05-11 6:54 AM
in reply to: #3492664

willrunforchocolate - 2011-05-10 9:40 PM

Mark,

I'm sorry you had a crappy workout, but it's good to know that I am not alone in having a rough time in the 90 degree weather we had, and that I'm not the only one who "forgot" how to train in hot conditions!  

I did a 6 mile run with 8 speed intervals.  It was total hell.  I walked up big hills and did 7 of the 8 intervals and decided to skip the last one.  Then, about 5 minutes from home, I thought to myself "what would Mark do?"  I was SURE you would not skip the last interval so I half-heartedly did another sprint.  LOL.

It was a good reminder that we need plenty of fluid and electrolytes now that the weather has heated up.  And that it will take a little time to get used to the heat!!  I am exhausted, lol.

Jacqui

Great job on finishing the interval.  I wanted to quit my run too, but slugged my way through it.  I had a great bike, doing hard hill repeats training for my race next week which is all hills.  My coach sent out a message to all of her athletes last night saying that every single one of us was upset about a bonk yesterday, just let it go and give yourself time to adjust.  It was good mentally to know I was far from alone.  There are some great athletes in that group.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 30