BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-06-05 2:53 AM
in reply to: tigrrruns

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)
Originally posted by tigrrrunsHi!I’d like to join this fun club if you’ll have me. I tried this before, but it didn’t save. All for the best though, because this one I think sounds much better. (I’m a little bit of a perfectionist). This group sounds like a great idea, a community of accountability buddies. I’ve been “lurking” for a while, and have been getting more and more inspired, and I have actually picked a race that I want to do. I think I have opened up my training logs, but I’m not sure. If it doesn’t work, please let me know how to do this!My Name: Emily, age 25My Story: I’m a runner by trade. I caught the bug when we did the 12 minute run in high school and I rocked it. From there, I started running, training for a 10k, then a half marathon, then a full marathon all before I was 19. I loved the high that it gave me, the feeling that I could do anything, AND the fact that it proved my dad wrong. I injured my knee (partially torn ACL) and just got burned out. I even went to volunteer at Ironman Lake Placid – money in my pocket to register –but then I looked at the bike course. (I am currently very afraid of my bike – falling off into oncoming traffic will do that to you.Fast forward 4 years, I’m about 30 lbs heavier, out of shape, and not feeling comfortable in my own skin. Breast cancer also runs in my family among the younger people, and after a scare myself, an Aunt and a close friend being diagnosed with metastatic cancer and an Aunt being diagnosed with diabetes, I decided it was time to take control myself. I have a younger sister who needs a positive role model, AND if there were to be anything wrong, I’d like to know that I’m in the best shape possible to fight it.I joined a health club, hired a personal trainer once a week and have re-taken up running (complete with really cute new shoes). I have a road bike I bought years before (it’s a little big) and I’ve started swimming (although I look like a flopping fish in the water). Family Situation: I am single, and live at home with my mom, sister, brother and step dad. I’m the oldest of six, and spend much time caring for my youngest sister (she’s wonderful. At 11, she’s the light of my life. Really, she could be my daughter). My mom deals with bipolar disorder and severe depression that is not well controlled by medication, so I spend a lot of time caring for her as well (and trying to inspire her to get moving) and taking over when we find her in the hospital for one of her episodes)Current Training: Swimming 2x per week, strength training 3x per week and running 2-4x per week (depends on how much energy I have after working a 12 hour night shift). I have not started biking yet, although I have been spinning a few times. I have to get my bike fitted and tuned up, which I will do in a few weeks (it costs more to tune up a bike than it does to tune up a car)Race Schedule:I’d like to do the Subaru Triathlon Series in Orillia. It’s a sprint triathlon race. I’m not sure if 10 weeks is enough time to train for a Sprint Triathlon based on where I’m at now. Any suggestions would be welcome.Also, my big goal right now is to do a push up. I'm SO close, but I am also running out of patience.Body composition:I’d like to lose about 30lbs, and 20% body fat. I’ve already lost about 13 lbs since I started this new fitness regime, however, I LOVE junk food so it's kind of a challenge. I've gotten much better with this though.Looking forward to joining you on this journey!
Welcome Emily! As you can see, this is a very chatty group ( and not necessarily about triathlon!) , so don't be afraid of us, jump right in!

2014-06-05 5:10 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Emily, so glad you could join us, welcome. I agree with Stacey and Erin, you will be fine to do the race if you get out and start training. And I checked your logs, it looks like you already have started, so good job. The ladies were wise to suggest that you get out on the bike. Get as comfortable as you can with it so that there are no surprises on race day.

I also checked Yanti's logs and I see Ironman Malaysia on there. 9/27/2014 means Ann-Marie can indeed buy my drink at Rev3. Now to decide what tasty beverage I'd like.

2014-06-05 5:28 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Dayton

27 out of 71 last night.  17th in the swim.  Looks like everyone had a tough night on the bike.  Nobody was faster than 22.2 mph, and there are guys faster than that for sure.  The run still has a ways to go: 7:51 pace.  Last year I ran a 7:01, I think.  Anyhow, onward and upward!

RR will follow (and I realize I still owe a RR for the sprint on Sunday as well).

2014-06-05 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Emily, so glad you could join us, welcome. I agree with Stacey and Erin, you will be fine to do the race if you get out and start training. And I checked your logs, it looks like you already have started, so good job. The ladies were wise to suggest that you get out on the bike. Get as comfortable as you can with it so that there are no surprises on race day.

I also checked Yanti's logs and I see Ironman Malaysia on there. 9/27/2014 means Ann-Marie can indeed buy my drink at Rev3. Now to decide what tasty beverage I'd like.

Well, that is unfortunate!!!  Still, I have faith in Yanti - although, I may begin to give her daily inspires

2014-06-05 6:59 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Originally posted by ponderingfox

27 out of 71 last night.  17th in the swim.  Looks like everyone had a tough night on the bike.  Nobody was faster than 22.2 mph, and there are guys faster than that for sure.  The run still has a ways to go: 7:51 pace.  Last year I ran a 7:01, I think.  Anyhow, onward and upward!

RR will follow (and I realize I still owe a RR for the sprint on Sunday as well).

Thats still seriously fast! ( I do about 18 on the bike at best over any sort of distance!) and I look forward to getting back to 8 minutes miles.
Look forward to the report

2014-06-05 7:06 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Rocking good times Tom!!!

2014-06-05 7:14 AM
in reply to: SteveyD

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by SteveyD

Thats still seriously fast! ( I do about 18 on the bike at best over any sort of distance!) and I look forward to getting back to 8 minutes miles. Look forward to the report

YAY FOXAY!!! That was a wicked bike then for sure.

And welcome back STEEEEEPHEEEEE

2014-06-05 7:16 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by amd723

Well, that is unfortunate!!!  Still, I have faith in Yanti - although, I may begin to give her daily inspires

You know, that does warm my heart, even if your delusion may be as great as the number of your hands.

2014-06-05 7:23 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

WELCOME EMILY!

I think I shall call you Tigger. You are bouncy like the AA Milne character, yet wise and strong like an Asian tiger. You really take care of your own. We are here to help you take care of YOU

2014-06-05 7:51 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by bcraht

Yep.  This is Lysippe (Lysi).  She is a Hungarian Pumi (NOT a dread-locked Puli, although they are related way back).  They are a sheep herding breed and therefore are good at agility.  She came home from the Czech Republic on Saturday and is settling in nicely with the human and furry family

Lysippe
Lysippe was another Amazon Queen with a tragic story. But like almost all Amazon tales, her's was a story of strength instead of martyrdom. Lysippe had a son named Tanais who was completely devoted to war and scorned marriage. Though this was totally normal in Amazon society, Aphrodite was none too pleased and cursed him with falling in love with his own mother. Unable to deal with this, he threw himself into a river and drowned. Lysippe buried her pain in work. She built the Amazon capital city Themiscrya, consolidating the Amazon Nation and building lots of temples to Artemis (NOT Aphrodite). She established the policies that the Amazons are known for. She was a notable general, and the first to lead an attack force with cavalry.

MANATEE PUPPEE SQUIIIIIIIISH

Fantastic name and background.

2014-06-05 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

Question for the Manatees

I am thinking about doing a ride that requires that we have bike lights because it goes through a blind tunnel "that will absolutely require a front light as riders will not be able to see which way is up when in the tunnel."   Suggestions?

I have nothing bright enough to help you. I think most of the MTB guys use Night Riders, which I suspect are pretty strong.

I flipped through this (http://reviews.mtbr.com/2014-mtbr-bike-lights-shootout-tunnel-beam-patterns) and it helped some.   As nice as the Lupine Betty is, I do think that $1115 might be a bit out of my price range.  I was kind of looking at the Light & Motion Urban 700 or one of the NiteRider Luminas.  The handlebars on my Domane are "think" so it will be key to have something that will both fit and stay put.

2014-06-05 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Originally posted by tigrrruns

Hi!

I’d like to join this fun club if you’ll have me.

I tried this before, but it didn’t save. All for the best though, because this one I think sounds much better. (I’m a little bit of a perfectionist). This group sounds like a great idea, a community of accountability buddies. I’ve been “lurking” for a while, and have been getting more and more inspired, and I have actually picked a race that I want to do. I think I have opened up my training logs, but I’m not sure. If it doesn’t work, please let me know how to do this!

My Name: Emily, age 25

My Story: I’m a runner by trade. I caught the bug when we did the 12 minute run in high school and I rocked it. From there, I started running, training for a 10k, then a half marathon, then a full marathon all before I was 19. I loved the high that it gave me, the feeling that I could do anything, AND the fact that it proved my dad wrong. I injured my knee (partially torn ACL) and just got burned out. I even went to volunteer at Ironman Lake Placid – money in my pocket to register –but then I looked at the bike course. (I am currently very afraid of my bike – falling off into oncoming traffic will do that to you.

Fast forward 4 years, I’m about 30 lbs heavier, out of shape, and not feeling comfortable in my own skin. Breast cancer also runs in my family among the younger people, and after a scare myself, an Aunt and a close friend being diagnosed with metastatic cancer and an Aunt being diagnosed with diabetes, I decided it was time to take control myself. I have a younger sister who needs a positive role model, AND if there were to be anything wrong, I’d like to know that I’m in the best shape possible to fight it.

I joined a health club, hired a personal trainer once a week and have re-taken up running (complete with really cute new shoes). I have a road bike I bought years before (it’s a little big) and I’ve started swimming (although I look like a flopping fish in the water).

Family Situation: I am single, and live at home with my mom, sister, brother and step dad. I’m the oldest of six, and spend much time caring for my youngest sister (she’s wonderful. At 11, she’s the light of my life. Really, she could be my daughter). My mom deals with bipolar disorder and severe depression that is not well controlled by medication, so I spend a lot of time caring for her as well (and trying to inspire her to get moving) and taking over when we find her in the hospital for one of her episodes)

Current Training: Swimming 2x per week, strength training 3x per week and running 2-4x per week (depends on how much energy I have after working a 12 hour night shift). I have not started biking yet, although I have been spinning a few times. I have to get my bike fitted and tuned up, which I will do in a few weeks (it costs more to tune up a bike than it does to tune up a car)

Race Schedule:
I’d like to do the Subaru Triathlon Series in Orillia. It’s a sprint triathlon race. I’m not sure if 10 weeks is enough time to train for a Sprint Triathlon based on where I’m at now. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Also, my big goal right now is to do a push up. I'm SO close, but I am also running out of patience.

Body composition:
I’d like to lose about 30lbs, and 20% body fat. I’ve already lost about 13 lbs since I started this new fitness regime, however, I LOVE junk food so it's kind of a challenge. I've gotten much better with this though.

Looking forward to joining you on this journey!

Welcome to the POD, and welcome to the "talkingest" group on BT.
2014-06-05 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by tigrrruns I joined a health club, hired a personal trainer once a week and have re-taken up running (complete with really cute new shoes). 

Welcome Emily!

So basically, you're saying that you are in this for the shoes?

2014-06-05 8:07 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Melon Presser

I am thinking about doing a ride that requires that we have bike lights because it goes through a blind tunnel "that will absolutely require a front light as riders will not be able to see which way is up when in the tunnel."   Suggestions?

I have nothing bright enough to help you. I think most of the MTB guys use Night Riders, which I suspect are pretty strong.

I flipped through this (http://reviews.mtbr.com/2014-mtbr-bike-lights-shootout-tunnel-beam-patterns) and it helped some.   As nice as the Lupine Betty is, I do think that $1115 might be a bit out of my price range.  I was kind of looking at the Light & Motion Urban 700 or one of the NiteRider Luminas.  The handlebars on my Domane are "think" so it will be key to have something that will both fit and stay put.

I'll ask Kingsley what he uses. They're so powerful I think his bike is going to explode every time he turns them on. And he's really cheap so they can't have cost much.

2014-06-05 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

You know, that does warm my heart, even if your delusion may be as great as the number of your hands.

ok, now I'm a little worried about the bet!

2014-06-05 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yay!! Nice job!

2014-06-05 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'll ask Kingsley what he uses. They're so powerful I think his bike is going to explode every time he turns them on. And he's really cheap so they can't have cost much.

Wait!  You married someone who is cheap?!

Well, I guess that balances things out.

Just don't scare us by saying that he does not like PopTarts and cereal!

2014-06-05 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

psst!  I heard a rumor that she takes bribes...

2014-06-05 9:08 AM

User image

Melon Presser

psst!  I heard a rumor that she takes bribes...

Best nephew ever gave me Pop Tarts for my wedding gift.

There ain't nothing can be bad about a Pop Tart with a ski bunny on it.

(004.PopTart (Copy).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
004.PopTart (Copy).jpg (39KB - 2 downloads)
2014-06-05 9:13 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Wait!  You married someone who is cheap?!

Well, I guess that balances things out.

Just don't scare us by saying that he does not like PopTarts and cereal!

I'm actually super cheap, but not like him! He's amazing! Oh, and he will eat ANYTHING and he likes it. So easy. Easy, cheap, and fast.

You think I would part with any Pop Tarts or Lucky Charms? Even for him? Pffffft

2014-06-05 9:16 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Ah, Manatee chatter. How I miss you all. Eyelids drooping. Zzzzzzz ...

WELCOME BACK, CAPTAIN KIRK!!!

We continue to be swimming in the law enforcement and legal fields ... I was going to say, I guess someone has to keep us in line, but who's gonna keep the legal eagle folks on the straight 'n' narrow?

2014-06-05 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by tigrrruns I joined a health club, hired a personal trainer once a week and have re-taken up running (complete with really cute new shoes). 

Welcome Emily!

The shoes were also the part I was going to mention.  As Erin and I are also in this thing for awesome colorful shoes, I support Emily in her tasteful choice of gear.

2014-06-05 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Emily welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  As everyone said we are here to be as supportive as you'll let us. I'm glad you care so much for your family and we'll guide you as you care for you!

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think you may be our youngest member, a little sister of sorts.

2014-06-05 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ah, Manatee chatter. How I miss you all. Eyelids drooping. Zzzzzzz ...

WELCOME BACK, CAPTAIN KIRK!!!

We continue to be swimming in the law enforcement and legal fields ... I was going to say, I guess someone has to keep us in line, but who's gonna keep the legal eagle folks on the straight 'n' narrow?

We legal folk set the line (bar ), so as long as you follow us you'll be ok!
2014-06-05 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Welcome Emily!

The shoes were also the part I was going to mention.  As Erin and I are also in this thing for awesome colorful shoes, I support Emily in her tasteful choice of gear.

I think we need pictures of the shoes... purely for analysis, of course.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.