BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-09-02 7:16 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open

Hang in there, Jenn.  Hopefully not too bad.  Hay is the barn so rest up and get better!

2021-09-02 11:13 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Jen Like mike says, the hay is in the barn. A couple of days with no SBR wont hurt at all at this point. Hope the PT gives you good news and your 100%

I've had an OK training week. 3 rides on zwift, 1 real run, and 2 'runs' with Mr 4. They're good for burning off some energy, but probably not the best training. His speed is either sprinting, or stopping to pick a flower for mummy. Highlight was running down the hill past his kindy he yells out 'this is awesome!' Next step is to get him on a bike and start the multisport training

Re 'the podium of truth' Back in the heady days of April 2020, Our PM told the nation 'we are your only source of truth, don't believe rumors, if it doesn't come from the government it isn't fact' Obviously just trying to stop the rumor mill but since then her press conferences have been from the 'podium of truth' for those of us who aren't fans.

Meanwhile, we've had 2 days of lower numbers, which is good. But the media/governments favorite 'experts' have been talking about a long lock down, and outbreaks having a long tail... not so good. So who knows where we are going. At least another week and a half of lockdown regardless, so the zwift sessions will continue...

Have a good weekend all.
2021-09-03 7:29 AM
in reply to: #5277873

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Jenn, how's the back feeling? Any updates?

I got in a solid masters practice this morning. A little over 3k yards for the morning, all freestyle. I'm definitely getting faster and feeling stronger. My 100s set I was hitting 1:37ish (compared to 1:45-1:50 last week). Gonna hit it up again tmrw.
2021-09-03 1:09 PM
in reply to: #5277902

User image

, Vermont
Nice swim, Nicole!!

Andrew, yeah, I understand about “trust us, we’re the government..”. Haha. At least you have Zwift which is so great. It’s not outside but in many ways safer anyway.

I took yesterday off and went to PT. Deep tissue massage from neck to butt and she taped up the quadratus on both sides. I was encouraged to walk and try running but not to the point of discomfort so that’s what I did today. I went for an hour and walked some and ran some and ended up with 5 miles in an hour and felt okay. I could feel it tighten a bit toward the end but all in all okay. I’m only taking Advil a couple of times a day and she actually encouraged me to alternate it with Tylenol so every 3 hours or so I’m taking something just to get over this initial hump. She asked me to not ride tomorrow (my last long but tapering ride at 4 hours). She didn’t like the idea of me in aero that long with no movement. She’d rather I run or even swim so I’ll keep my run on Sunday and swim Saturday and Sunday instead. Nice and easy. I see her one more time the day I head out for MD in a week and a half.
2021-09-03 2:17 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Nice swim, Nicole!! Andrew, yeah, I understand about “trust us, we’re the government..”. Haha. At least you have Zwift which is so great. It’s not outside but in many ways safer anyway. I took yesterday off and went to PT. Deep tissue massage from neck to butt and she taped up the quadratus on both sides. I was encouraged to walk and try running but not to the point of discomfort so that’s what I did today. I went for an hour and walked some and ran some and ended up with 5 miles in an hour and felt okay. I could feel it tighten a bit toward the end but all in all okay. I’m only taking Advil a couple of times a day and she actually encouraged me to alternate it with Tylenol so every 3 hours or so I’m taking something just to get over this initial hump. She asked me to not ride tomorrow (my last long but tapering ride at 4 hours). She didn’t like the idea of me in aero that long with no movement. She’d rather I run or even swim so I’ll keep my run on Sunday and swim Saturday and Sunday instead. Nice and easy. I see her one more time the day I head out for MD in a week and a half.

Sounds like it's going to be OK.  Glad to hear it.  Just enjoy the bouncing off the walls feeling like you're getting sick taper. 

2021-09-04 8:37 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by aviatrix802

I took yesterday off and went to PT. Deep tissue massage from neck to butt and she taped up the quadratus on both sides. I was encouraged to walk and try running but not to the point of discomfort so that’s what I did today. I went for an hour and walked some and ran some and ended up with 5 miles in an hour and felt okay. I could feel it tighten a bit toward the end but all in all okay. I’m only taking Advil a couple of times a day and she actually encouraged me to alternate it with Tylenol so every 3 hours or so I’m taking something just to get over this initial hump. She asked me to not ride tomorrow (my last long but tapering ride at 4 hours). She didn’t like the idea of me in aero that long with no movement. She’d rather I run or even swim so I’ll keep my run on Sunday and swim Saturday and Sunday instead. Nice and easy. I see her one more time the day I head out for MD in a week and a half.

Sounds like it’s not too bad then, good news!

2021-09-04 9:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
So yesterday I signed up for a race today. Last week’s oly was going to be my only race this year but when I saw the weather forecast, I thought it would be nice to do a race in better weather. They had a sprint and an oly and I chose the sprint this time.

Another small village race, not many participants, 30 in each race or so. Not many girls doing the sprint and no fast ones at all as I came 1st with my 1h27 min. A nice way to finish the season.

https://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=291113

Edited by Rollergirl 2021-09-04 9:26 AM
2021-09-05 11:10 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Andrew, yeah, I understand about “trust us, we’re the government..”. Haha.

I give you this about our stupendous leader...

Northern Independence Party ???? on Twitter: "Stop it.… " 

Did about 2 hours rugby in 20c+ temps and it was far too hot! At least on a bike you generate a breeze. my rugby speed generates nothing. 

Look after that back jenn!

Edited by sappho96 2021-09-05 11:11 AM
2021-09-05 4:28 PM
in reply to: #5274075

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Jenn glad to hear it's feeling ok! Def keep up that rest!
Nathalie! Crushing a sprint at the last minute, I love.ot? Awesome work!

I've been a bit.of a waste. My bday is today so have done lots of drinking. Also I did a thing. I bought a peloton! It'll be delivered next Friday! It's $400 off and it will be perfect to get a few rides in before my trip in October. Yay!
2021-09-05 4:31 PM
in reply to: #5277920

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ugh typed this from my phone and clearly didn't spell check/edit...
2021-09-06 12:15 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

Jenn glad to hear it's feeling ok! Def keep up that rest!
Nathalie! Crushing a sprint at the last minute, I love.ot? Awesome work!

I've been a bit.of a waste. My bday is today so have done lots of drinking. Also I did a thing. I bought a peloton! It'll be delivered next Friday! It's $400 off and it will be perfect to get a few rides in before my trip in October. Yay!

Happy Birthday for yesterday! Nice present from you to you with all your love!

2021-09-06 4:09 PM
in reply to: #5277921

User image

, Vermont
Nicole, happy belated birthday! The Peloton is fun and frankly the app itself is really nice! You’ll have to join the hardCORE group on FB. A person there puts a calendar out every month of stacked workouts (aside from running or biking) and it can be quite the butt kicker. My 14 year old likes it and his older brother keeps asking how the younger one has ripped abs. Haha. Once my IM is done I’ll probably pick up where I left off with that. I think my LB name is something exciting like, J802 or Jenn802 or something like that, I can’t remember. Haha. I’m at 99 rides on it and have been saving my 100th for if/when I can actually do a live ride. Regardless, it will be this week when I travel.
2021-09-06 4:18 PM
in reply to: #5277927

User image

, Vermont
The back is coming along! I stayed off the bike as promised on Saturday and swam an easy 2500 yards instead. Sunday I had my last long run of 2 hours. I took it nice and slow and took more walk breaks than usual if I felt it start to tighten. I ended up at 1:50 because I was in front of my house at that point and decided that was enough. I capped it at ten miles. I ate a piece of toast and met my friend to swim and did 2 x 2000 yards for my last long swim, again taking it slow and steady. Today is a rest day so I woke up at 03:30 to commute in to work… didn’t even get to sleep in, darn. Haha. I’m actually heading to bed in a minute (it’s 17:15) because I have to get up at 00:30 to get ready for work. Only one leg though to Seattle and they have a Peloton there and I’ll be flying in and out of there all week so I’ll have access to it T, W, Th for my brick on W and hour ride Th. Yay! I did bring my swim harness to use the hotel pool, but gosh I wish there was a lap pool nearby. C’est la vie. Vader is at the bike shop getting pretty, new tires and tubes. They only had one Continental GP 5000 tire so I’m going outside the box and getting a comparable Vittoria. But, but…my GP’s! I’m mildly OCD and like a thing that works so unfamiliar tires this close to the race is working on my brain. Yes, I know it’s going to be fine..it’s just me. Haha
2021-09-07 5:20 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Glad to hear the back is coming along Jenn!

"unfamiliar tires this close to the race is working on my brain. Yes, I know it’s going to be fine..it’s just me. Haha"

No, I doubt it's just you... you'll be fine....deep breathes...

2021-09-07 9:07 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Nicole, happy belated birthday! The Peloton is fun and frankly the app itself is really nice! You’ll have to join the hardCORE group on FB. A person there puts a calendar out every month of stacked workouts (aside from running or biking) and it can be quite the butt kicker. My 14 year old likes it and his older brother keeps asking how the younger one has ripped abs. Haha. Once my IM is done I’ll probably pick up where I left off with that. I think my LB name is something exciting like, J802 or Jenn802 or something like that, I can’t remember. Haha. I’m at 99 rides on it and have been saving my 100th for if/when I can actually do a live ride. Regardless, it will be this week when I travel.

Thanks for the advice!! I will definitely check that out, and find you when I make my account this weekend! And congrats on the 100th ride!
2021-09-07 9:10 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

The back is coming along! I stayed off the bike as promised on Saturday and swam an easy 2500 yards instead. Sunday I had my last long run of 2 hours. I took it nice and slow and took more walk breaks than usual if I felt it start to tighten. I ended up at 1:50 because I was in front of my house at that point and decided that was enough. I capped it at ten miles. I ate a piece of toast and met my friend to swim and did 2 x 2000 yards for my last long swim, again taking it slow and steady. Today is a rest day so I woke up at 03:30 to commute in to work… didn’t even get to sleep in, darn. Haha. I’m actually heading to bed in a minute (it’s 17:15) because I have to get up at 00:30 to get ready for work. Only one leg though to Seattle and they have a Peloton there and I’ll be flying in and out of there all week so I’ll have access to it T, W, Th for my brick on W and hour ride Th. Yay! I did bring my swim harness to use the hotel pool, but gosh I wish there was a lap pool nearby. C’est la vie. Vader is at the bike shop getting pretty, new tires and tubes. They only had one Continental GP 5000 tire so I’m going outside the box and getting a comparable Vittoria. But, but…my GP’s! I’m mildly OCD and like a thing that works so unfamiliar tires this close to the race is working on my brain. Yes, I know it’s going to be fine..it’s just me. Haha

Glad your back is coming along and you're still able to get some easy workouts in. And you will definitely be fine with the different tires!

2021-09-08 8:12 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Nicole Happy belated birthday.

Jen That's good to hear your back isn't a major. And good job following advice and skipping your last long ride. The right decision being to skip a workout can be a hard thing to get our heads around. You know you'll be fine with different tires, but if you had a pair of new GPs, im sure you'd be finding something else to stress over. This far out from such a big goal we'd all be a nervous wreck.

Nathalie Loving that you are able to make an impulse decision to go race a tri. Even more that you turned it into a win. Awesome work.

Me Happy with last weeks effort. Finished off the week with 6 zwift rides, and 6 runs (3 real ones, and 3 with Mr 4) 6 hours and 1 minute total for the week. Happy with that. Did not do any stretching or PT work last week tho. So that's naughty. Had a day off Monday, after 17 consecutive days of at least one bike or run. Since then 60 minute zwift Tuesday, and 30 minutes Wednesday. No running yet as the weather has been quite unpleasant. Aiming for around 6 hours again for the week.

Next week was supposed to be week 1 of my 19 week HIM plan. But with our covid lockdown closing pools, and greatly limiting what we can do I'm going to base my training on the plan, but mix things around to work as well as I can given our current situation.

Hope everyone is doing well.
2021-09-09 3:58 AM
in reply to: #5277928

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Jenn I think I just requested to follow you (jenn802 from VT) on peloton. Let me know if that's not you!
2021-09-09 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey all.  Sorry I've been off the grid for a few days.  My BIL is in the hospital (not doing well...severe West Nile complications of all things) so we've been running down there off and on plus work is insane right now.  I'm just about to defer my race until next year - heart just isn't into it.  This is the first time I've been this burned out before with regards to training - kinda feeling like a chore right now so I don't think racing in that situation is wise.  They allow deferrals for a nominal fee so no worries there.

I'm going to go for a long easy bike ride outdoors in the beautiful weather we have coming this weekend so hopefully that will smack me out of this. 

@Jenn:  hang tough...two more weeks!  Glad your back is improving and good call on the modifications.  The weather cooled off here the last week or two so the Bay temp has dropped almost 10 degrees from the mid-80s down to the mid-70s, so you should be good for wetsuit weather.

@Nicole:  congrats on joining the cult  getting the Peloton. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2021-09-09 9:39 AM
2021-09-09 2:40 PM
in reply to: #5274075

User image

, Vermont
@ Mike: oh my gosh I hope your brother gets better very soon!! Complications from West Nile is not something you hear about much lately!
I’m sorry you are deferring, it was probably a tough choice but if your heart’s not in it, nor will your head be in it.

Nathalie: way to go after a last minute sprint, I love it!!

Andrew: great effort this past week especially during lockdown. How frustrating this has become. Can you do open water swimming? Is that allowed?

@ Nicole: I’ll take a look at the account! I was on it yesterday for my brick (and 100th ride) but didn’t check for anything or maybe you sent it after I got off.
2021-09-09 2:49 PM
in reply to: #5277961

User image

, Vermont
Tuesday I managed my :45 run and a brick on Wednesday all out here in Seattle between 4 hours of sleep a day. I’m just rolling over now and have an hour ride to do before going to work tonight (my last night before heading home Friday). I got maybe 5.5 hours of sleep today. I’m so tired but once I wake up my mind starts kicking in. I haven’t been swimming yet, just have not had time and likely won’t today. I’ve been skipping getting food here at the hotel and been relying on catering on the plane but tonight I won’t have much catering so I’m going to have to make time to go out and find food.
I should be home by 13:00 tomorrow and maybe grab a quick nap then pick up my beloved Vader at the LBS. Saturday is a two hour ride and 30 minute run which I’ll have to do super early then off to watch my boys play volleyball on their school team. The funny thing is, the temps have dropped back home overnight so it will be 50F/10C - not even close to race temps. Haha. I’ll be bundled up.
I’m already watching the weather in Cambridge and chuckling because only on race day does it show rain. We’re still a week out so it will change a million times between now and then. I do hope the temps trends back down though. 85F is hot for this northern gal.

2021-09-09 9:50 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Andrew: great effort this past week especially during lockdown. How frustrating this has become. Can you do open water swimming? Is that allowed?

Thanks, unfortunately this week has been more of a struggle.

It's still pretty cold and miserable in this part of the world, so OWS would be a no go for me either way (I'm soft like that). But at the moment no, OWS (and surfing/boating etc.) are all specifically banned. I believe the logic is not that they are high risk for covid, but that they don't want people getting in trouble and needing to be rescued. But on the other hand fishing from the shore is allowed, and fishermen getting swept off rocks is by far the biggest cause of drownings in NZ... so perfect bureaucratic nonsense rules. I think that's what upsets me most about our 'lockdowns' the random, nonsensical unjustifiable rules. i.e. in NZ a dairy (7-11 type store) can be open, but the local butcher next door can't. wtf.

Still, Monday afternoon we will know our immediate fate. Cases have been down at 10-15 per day recently. So hopefully dear leader will allow us to start dropping down the levels. We will still be quite locked up, but it would be nice to let Mr 4 visit his Grandparents...

Have a good weekend everyone.
2021-09-10 12:25 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yeah, those lockdowns rules haven’t made a lot of sense in any country that I know…
Hope you get good news on Monday.

On Wednesday I did a 10k race organised to raise awareness for blood donation. Went pretty well for me, it was fun anyway.

Today, GOLF! The day of the grand finale of my work’s tournament has finally arrived. I am currently 2nd on the leaderboard. Only 18 holes to go until we have a winner. Haven’t played or practiced much in the 2nd part of the Summer (tri training kinda took over) so I am not counting on a win (well, yes, secretely I always do) but one thing is for sure, it’s going to be FUN!

2021-09-10 8:26 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike - Give me that Kool-Aid!

Jenn - Congrats on the 100th ride!! If you don't see it, follow me (nicole14e...also very original)!

Andrew - That is really frustrating! It will get better soon hopefully. Winter is always a tough time, but especially tough if you're trapped in your house, especially with two young children.

Nathalie - Let us know how you fared (pun intended) in the golf tournament!
2021-09-10 8:34 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in a solid 3.5 mile run yesterday. Felt pretty strong, even on a long, slow incline. The run in my tri is pretty flat...and by that I mean there's really not a single incline...but I feel like doing hills will only help me...right?

Went to master's this morning. Lots more 100s. Felt stronger until he told us to hit some faster (did 9 x 100 on 1:55 hitting 1:37, then was supposed to do 9 x 100 on 1:50 hitting 1:32...but that didn't happen. Then 9 x 100 on 1:55 with sighting the first 50).
Does anyone ever feel like they can't breathe right after a hard swim? I'm sitting here struggling a little, but it happens to me a lot. Not sure if that makes it normal though. I used to think getting dizzy when you stand up too fast a lot is normal but later found out I just have low blood pressure.

This weekend is supposed to be BEAUTIFUL! 80s and sunny. Gonna do another masters practice tmrw, then play some vball, then go on my friend's boat. Sunday we are having an intra-squad meet Sunday, so that will be fun. Hope everyone has an amazing weekend!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31