BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-10-24 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3735686

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
ashort33 - 2011-10-24 9:56 AM
DougRob - 2011-10-23 7:57 AM

in 62 degree F water with 5 other hardy souls. What a great way to wake up!  

serious, serious shrinkage...  that's all I'm sayin'.....  

We consider that warm for Lake Michigan!  Andy, you need to come race up here this summer!  

Nicely done Doug!

2011-10-24 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3735856

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
badgerintx - 2011-10-24 11:39 AM
ashort33 - 2011-10-24 9:56 AM
DougRob - 2011-10-23 7:57 AM

in 62 degree F water with 5 other hardy souls. What a great way to wake up!  

serious, serious shrinkage...  that's all I'm sayin'.....  

We consider that warm for Lake Michigan!  Andy, you need to come race up here this summer!  

Nicely done Doug!

Actually probably a nice change from swimming in lakes that are 90 deg water temps....

2011-10-24 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3735656

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2011-10-24 10:37 AM
dalessit - 2011-10-23 6:36 PM

Good race today.  Couple of hard crashes in the prologue pushed me back a few spots but gained them back and then a few more.  LOL, first race all year I haven't hit the deck so very happy with that.  Ended up 38th out of 120ish.  Need to do more V02 max workouts to get faster.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Have we talke lately about your Seahawks? Man they suck. Cost me some $$ on the weekend.

clearly they need to do some more VO2 max workouts to get faster. 

2011-10-24 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3735782

User image

Champion
marietta
velcromom - 2011-10-24 11:58 AM

Did a short swim this morning, in a very short pool!  Gotta wonder how much good it's really doing for my swim fitness - but it least it's giving me my chlorine smell fix.

Ty gets a cast on today, and I meet Johanne to drop off my bike.  She raced SOMA HIM yesterday...finished the run in 97 degree heat.  Argh.  Really hoping AZ cools off in the next month!

REALLY hoping that the doc sticks with his 'mom-going-home-on-Wednesday' opinion today.  This hotel room is getting smaller by the day!  That and I haven't seen Jeff for 2 weeks - longer than we've been apart in 26 years.  Not good.

Any suggestions for how to handle the pain meds when I'm gone?  I'm really worried about leaving them in a dorm room.  Theft is rampant, and kids have already asked him what he's got for pain.  He REALLY will need the meds for a while, and he's been really good at tracking when he can take them, but I'm afraid that will all fall apart when I'm gone - and some will 'disappear'.  Any suggestions?  Doc thought of writing small prescriptions that can be refilled often, but Ty won't have a car, and will be dependant on rides to the pharmacy.  I can't come up with anything better, though.  Maybe me filling it at home, and shipping it every 3 days?

definitely small prescriptions like doc said.  at least he'll only lose a small amount of pills and days then can go refill if they walk.  if its one long prescription and they walk then he might be sol for longer than a few days. 

doug's infirmary suggestion is good, if this is an option.  i don't recall it being one at either undergrad or grad school. 

2011-10-25 6:51 AM
in reply to: #3736622

User image

Master
Maryland
fattyfatfat - 2011-10-24 8:59 PM
velcromom - 2011-10-24 11:58 AM

Did a short swim this morning, in a very short pool!  Gotta wonder how much good it's really doing for my swim fitness - but it least it's giving me my chlorine smell fix.

Ty gets a cast on today, and I meet Johanne to drop off my bike.  She raced SOMA HIM yesterday...finished the run in 97 degree heat.  Argh.  Really hoping AZ cools off in the next month!

REALLY hoping that the doc sticks with his 'mom-going-home-on-Wednesday' opinion today.  This hotel room is getting smaller by the day!  That and I haven't seen Jeff for 2 weeks - longer than we've been apart in 26 years.  Not good.

Any suggestions for how to handle the pain meds when I'm gone?  I'm really worried about leaving them in a dorm room.  Theft is rampant, and kids have already asked him what he's got for pain.  He REALLY will need the meds for a while, and he's been really good at tracking when he can take them, but I'm afraid that will all fall apart when I'm gone - and some will 'disappear'.  Any suggestions?  Doc thought of writing small prescriptions that can be refilled often, but Ty won't have a car, and will be dependant on rides to the pharmacy.  I can't come up with anything better, though.  Maybe me filling it at home, and shipping it every 3 days?

definitely small prescriptions like doc said.  at least he'll only lose a small amount of pills and days then can go refill if they walk.  if its one long prescription and they walk then he might be sol for longer than a few days. 

doug's infirmary suggestion is good, if this is an option.  i don't recall it being one at either undergrad or grad school. 

Small perscriptions sounds like a good idea, then Ty will have the meds he clearly is going to need and there will be a much less chance of some disappearing.

2011-10-25 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3733369

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
kkcbelle - 2011-10-21 2:10 PM

This one is for George:

Wow...I always knew you were a good friend! 

Horrible that I let it sit here for 4 days without seeing it!!!  But it just made my day better

2011-10-25 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Sin City

Thanks ya'll for the congrats! I'm such a slacker now...no cycling for over a week. I really do admire people who hold full time jobs AND find the time to train.   

While I was not sore at all from the Century, but I was a little mentally exhausted.   Switched my focus to running now as I am doing the Vegas RnR Half in 40 days. I'm NOT as trained as I was last year, but for some little odd reason, I feel faster than I was when I was training last year. 

Not an excuse, but I'm spending a lot of time working on my portfolio stuff...two more quarters to go before I graduate! So I'm sitting on my butt all day staring on the computer with 3D modelling/texturing. I know I've done too much is when I try to use the same key shortcuts/ mouse movements on Facebook.  I cannot "zoom" or rotate Facebook...*sheesh*!!

Today - I had the BEST RUN in a very long time.  I think it does really help getting up early in the morning and just getting it done.  I normally do it at the gym in the evening or afternoon (due to the heat, I still have to run indoors), but I get exhausted and just bleh.  

Linda - I agree with Doug - Talk to the infirmary, they should understand the situation, and take care of the pills.  If your kid needs it during the night, the nurse/doc can give him ONE dose. That way if it's gone, it's okay.  You can always get him a small safebox and talk to him the seriousness of this. If you trust him really well, and he has a good head on his shoulders, then he'll obey your wishes.

Trainer for 3.5 hours?! dang girl. :-D As for your Angel friend...I suggest to get TriSport.com gift card!!

Edited by CyborgQueen 2011-10-25 1:06 PM
2011-10-25 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

TRAINING QUESTION:

Due to a FANTASTIC deal on GroupOn, I am able to get 20 classes of Hot Yoga for $30  (normally costs $380 for 20 classes!!). 

SO...I need to use up the classes within two months...that's the small print. :-) I can't just spread out the classes through the year/months.

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to use in conjunction with training for Half Mary. I will/plan to do Hot Yoga on non-running days, and 2-3 times a week until I finish the 20 classes.

I figured that I could really work on yoga to try to stretch out my muscles better AND get rid of the stiffness that seems to be occurring much more frequently (since I am sitting at the computer desk all day...I tend to stiffen up) as well as gaining more flexibility.

What do you guys think?

2011-10-25 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3737616

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
CyborgQueen - 2011-10-25 1:16 PM

TRAINING QUESTION:

Due to a FANTASTIC deal on GroupOn, I am able to get 20 classes of Hot Yoga for $30  (normally costs $380 for 20 classes!!). 

SO...I need to use up the classes within two months...that's the small print. :-) I can't just spread out the classes through the year/months.

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to use in conjunction with training for Half Mary. I will/plan to do Hot Yoga on non-running days, and 2-3 times a week until I finish the 20 classes.

I figured that I could really work on yoga to try to stretch out my muscles better AND get rid of the stiffness that seems to be occurring much more frequently (since I am sitting at the computer desk all day...I tend to stiffen up) as well as gaining more flexibility.

What do you guys think?

I don't see any reason why you can't supplement the half marathon training with yoga.  I do have a couple of questions

Have you done Bikram before?  I have not because I can't stand roasting like a weiner, but I have friends who have done it--some loved the heat, some hated it.  I think it's very polarizing.  I would also make sure the studio you are going to is uber clean.  I've read articles about respiratory issues that pop up because of the bacteria build up in a heated environment if the place is not spotless.

Given the low cash outlay you may not care about my concerns above and that's ok.  I do a couple different types of yoga classes during the OS and think there is a benefit, mainly working on a bunch of little muscles that are ignored all season long.  There is some good stretching too, but that isn't the primary purpose of the classes I attend.

My two cents.

2011-10-25 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3737659

User image

Master
Sin City
SSMinnow - 2011-10-25 11:51 AM 

I don't see any reason why you can't supplement the half marathon training with yoga.  I do have a couple of questions

Have you done Bikram before?  No, but I've gotten some real good advice from many people who have done it, and they go to the same place, so they highly recommended that place. 

I have not because I can't stand roasting like a weiner, I find that I really like the heat...just not running/biking in the heat...that's different. :- but I have friends who have done it--some loved the heat, some hated it.  I think it's very polarizing.  I would also make sure the studio you are going to is uber clean.  I've read articles about respiratory issues that pop up because of the bacteria build up in a heated environment if the place is not spotless. I agree with you, but since this studio was recommended by 4 triathlete friends of mine, and they're fickle about certain things as well, so I trust their recommendations. 

Given the low cash outlay you may not care about my concerns above and that's ok.  I do a couple different types of yoga classes during the OS and think there is a benefit, mainly working on a bunch of little muscles that are ignored all season long.  There is some good stretching too, but that isn't the primary purpose of the classes I attend.

My two cents.

Thanks Suzy! :-)

2011-10-25 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3737616

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
CyborgQueen - 2011-10-25 1:16 PM

TRAINING QUESTION:

What do you guys think?

Love the groupons - I got a yoga one last year for that hot yoga stuff.  I really liked the yoga, but it was just too expensive going forward.  Picked up one last week for 20 day passes to the local rock climbing gym for a c-note.  Can't wait to get over there some in the next few weeks!

As to your question - shouldn't be an issue working on run and doing the hot yoga - just ease into it a bit and don't overstretch to get into a position that you are not ready for...  your quads will burn during the awkward and warrior series though!

2011-10-25 3:36 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Sorry, DJ, very limited experience with hot yoga, but it sounds like an awesome deal!

Linda-good luck with the pain meds for Tyler.  I think the small lockbox that DJ suggested could be a good idea!  I have a small fireproof safe in my office for petty cash, computer back up drives, etc...they are pretty inconspicuous (maybe about 8" x 12" x 6", can go in the closet so his friends and roomate don't give him a hard time?  And he can put his iPod and wallet or whatever in there for future use.

Unrelated topic:  grilled veggies (eggplant, zucchini and portobella mushrooms) and quinoa turkey meatballs with brown rice make for a delicious, nutritious lunch!!!  And oddly not weird to digest.  I am a fan! 

I did 6 different types of push ups yesterday including this weird thing called dive bombers and then gardened and my shoulders feel like mush!!!  in a good way, i think. 

Happy Tuesday everyone. 

2011-10-25 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3737827

User image

Master
Maryland
kt65 - 2011-10-25 4:36 PM

Sorry, DJ, very limited experience with hot yoga, but it sounds like an awesome deal!

Linda-good luck with the pain meds for Tyler.  I think the small lockbox that DJ suggested could be a good idea!  I have a small fireproof safe in my office for petty cash, computer back up drives, etc...they are pretty inconspicuous (maybe about 8" x 12" x 6", can go in the closet so his friends and roomate don't give him a hard time?  And he can put his iPod and wallet or whatever in there for future use.

Unrelated topic:  grilled veggies (eggplant, zucchini and portobella mushrooms) and quinoa turkey meatballs with brown rice make for a delicious, nutritious lunch!!!  And oddly not weird to digest.  I am a fan! 

I did 6 different types of push ups yesterday including this weird thing called dive bombers and then gardened and my shoulders feel like mush!!!  in a good way, i think. 

Happy Tuesday everyone. 

Ummmm sounds delicious!

2011-10-25 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
10 days

Consider this my Halloween contribution.  It's all better now Smile
2011-10-25 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3738188

User image

Elite
san francisco
jfought - 2011-10-25 6:26 PM10 days

*cringing aloud*. Thanks, Jayne!
2011-10-25 10:01 PM
in reply to: #3738188

User image

Master
Sin City

jfought - 2011-10-25 6:26 PM 10 days

Yowch!  I got a bruise in my toe a few weeks ago. It got worse when I did the Century, and running. It's all dry blood there now, but it doesn't hurt a bit.  That's the first time I ever had something like that. I don't think I'll puncture a hole (since it doesn't hurt, why bother?), and I doubt it'll fall off.  It seems to be a right of passage to have your nails fall off. I'm still waiting for mine. :-)

2011-10-26 3:36 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
nasty...not something I've experienced and not something I want to experience.
2011-10-26 5:42 AM

User image

Champion

While it seems a few are suffering from lack of motivation, I bet there are a some SWBKRUN dudes heading to the starting line this weekend.  Raise your hands high and tell us.  Don't just tell us you're racing, tell us your STRATEGY!

And for the remainder, what are you doing to keep the pounds from creeping on during this low volume period?

2011-10-26 6:41 AM
in reply to: #3738355

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2011-10-26 6:42 AM

While it seems a few are suffering from lack of motivation, I bet there are a some SWBKRUN dudes heading to the starting line this weekend.  Raise your hands high and tell us.  Don't just tell us you're racing, tell us your STRATEGY!

And for the remainder, what are you doing to keep the pounds from creeping on during this low volume period?

good luck racing peeps.  i ain't doing nothing to keep the pounds off   AND ITS SHOWING a little!!!!! 

2011-10-26 6:44 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

My last race for 2011 and my A race: the Washington, NC Half on saturday! Feeling good about the swim and bike and hope to have a good day on the run. This is only my second half, the first being Augusta last year when the wheels came off on the run. It is supposed to be a cool day with highs in the low 60's.

Gonna swim with a sleeveless suit. Have a good idea on my nutrition and will be happy with a run anywhere near 2:00 - 2:15. Due to scheduling conflict with B2B there are only 97 racers in this race.

Havin' Fun (Linda) is racing there too.

Edited by DougRob 2011-10-26 6:49 AM
2011-10-26 6:47 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC

I have a 10K Saturday.  It is a fun, challengingish race.  I am excited.

2011-10-26 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3738383

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2011-10-26 6:41 AM

good luck racing peeps.  i ain't doing nothing to keep the pounds off   AND ITS SHOWING a little!!!!! 

I read an article by Matt Fitzgerald that said it was ok to increase your weight by up to 8% in the OS.  Said that weighing in regularly to make sure when you get close to that number you close the trap was important.  If I gained 8% of my BW, I would need to start wearing Fatty's pants.  That is a BIG #!

2011-10-26 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3738422

User image

Master
SSMinnow - 2011-10-26 5:22 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-10-26 6:41 AM

I read an article by Matt Fitzgerald that said it was ok to increase your weight by up to 8% in the OS.  Said that weighing in regularly to make sure when you get close to that number you close the trap was important.  If I gained 8% of my BW, I would need to start wearing Fatty's pants.  That is a BIG #!

That is a big number... And I'm guessing he is saing it's ok for younger peeps. I think with age it's harder to control tht (ESP women) and wouldn't want to add 8%! I'd be miserable and I'd have to buy new clothes!!!I am wearing about 3 extra pounds -- not by choice but I'm not stressing out about it. Won't let another one creep on, though. Running, eating well, and denying myself dessert if it's been a very light training day.Good luck racers!! (Sorry if the formatting is amok... iPad issues.)
2011-10-26 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3738383

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2011-10-26 5:41 AM

X2 big time!!! Starting to finish our basement. Hoping to have it done before Christmas. Working with the FIL when I am not working. Going to be some good times!! Thats going to be my time for the next 2 months.

2011-10-26 9:57 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
SSMinnow - 2011-10-26 5:42 AM

So I'm racing... first, last, and only tri of the year - Monster Tri on Sunday.  No costume for me - but plenty of people will be dressing up, just going to go out and enjoy the race - strategy is swim hard, ride hard, and run hard...  oh yeah, no leisurely breaks in transition either.  Going to be chilly (48 deg at start) so I have to think through some clothing options...

Also doing a benefit 5k on Saturday morning for the school district - strategy is to go easy like a recovery jog (12ish pace) since the tri is the next day...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298