BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-09-09 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2395774

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
Plainsman AU - 2009-09-08 8:52 PM Sometimes I wished I had a recorder going 24/7,  my son says some of the funniest stuff.

This morning my 5 yr old was dreading going to school.  In an effort to convince us to let him stay home, he said "mom...I think I got the SWOON FLY" (swine flu

The other night when FL State was playing Miami, he asked me who was playing.  I said "FL State and Miami...who are you pulling for"  He said Your ami. 

Kids are too funny.  My son shooed us out of his classroom on his first day.  My daughter has been crying about going back to preschool for 3 weeks until this morning I said "Gabriella, since it's raining you can wear your pretty new raincoat, rain boots and take your princess umbrella to school."  So now she's all excited and going to have a lot of fun.  Of course, the rain gear is a hand me down from the neighbor and the umbrella I got from a free pile of stuff with a missing handle.  But hey she loves it all. 

2009-09-09 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2394906

User image

Expert

Is that for real?  If so, that dude needs some help.
2009-09-09 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Expert
Here's my official good morning to the group - GOOD MORNING and Happy Weds.  It's always so weird when I get back into the office.  Big day yesterday - my son was very happy to start school and didn't miss a beat.  It already has a playdate today w/ his girlfriend from preschool.  She's in the K class next to him.

I haven't done my race report from Sat. night's 5K.  Been too busy and bummed about the results.  I got a terrible cramp about 1/2 m in and it got worse and worse.  My friend kept asking me if I was ok as I was making all sorts of odd noises.  My legs felt good and I was right on pace to break 25 min.  But by the 2.5m mark I was slowing b/c it hurt too much to run fast so I walked a few min. then cruised home about a 1 min. slower than my best.  Oh well - it was an awesome race though - huge crowds, a finisher's medal, huge food spread, lots of beer and a really fun atmosphere.  It was a 5k that benefited various 9/11 funds.  There was a pretty powerful moment of silence before the National Anthem.  It's weird but living here now and then and driving by the Pentagon on my way home from work, I think about that plane everyday.

On a lighter note, I have to rely Tony's arrival back home last night from his 19m run.  He's about 30min. overdue from the run and I'm starting to get worried.  Finally the door opens and he collapses in the sweaty pile on the kitchen floor.  Needless to say, his run did not go well.  I'm sure he will provide more details.  And now that I know he is ok, I can say it was a pretty funny scene.
2009-09-09 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2396133

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2009-09-09 7:27 AM

I haven't done my race report from Sat. night's 5K.  Been too busy and bummed about the results.  I got a terrible cramp about 1/2 m in and it got worse and worse.  My friend kept asking me if I was ok as I was making all sorts of odd noises.  My legs felt good and I was right on pace to break 25 min.  But by the 2.5m mark I was slowing b/c it hurt too much to run fast so I walked a few min. then cruised home about a 1 min. slower than my best.  Oh well - it was an awesome race though - huge crowds, a finisher's medal, huge food spread, lots of beer and a really fun atmosphere.  It was a 5k that benefited various 9/11 funds.  There was a pretty powerful moment of silence before the National Anthem.  It's weird but living here now and then and driving by the Pentagon on my way home from work, I think about that plane everyday.

During the 03 Marine Corps Marathon lots of runners stopped and stared for a few seconds when running by the side of the Pentagon that 77 went in.  Some got pretty emotional.

I metioned to Tony a while back.  Have you guys had a chance to check out the memorial?  Go at night.  We went the weekend it opened. 
2009-09-09 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2396257

User image

Expert
fattyfatfat - 2009-09-09 8:24 AM
sdalessio - 2009-09-09 7:27 AM

During the 03 Marine Corps Marathon lots of runners stopped and stared for a few seconds when running by the side of the Pentagon that 77 went in.  Some got pretty emotional.

I metioned to Tony a while back.  Have you guys had a chance to check out the memorial?  Go at night.  We went the weekend it opened. 

We haven't yet.  it looks really nice.  I'm not sure I'm ready yet.  There is a very good section at the Newseum in DC about 9/11 but I couldn't go look at it when I was there.  I didn't know anyone personally that day but we had a friend who was an Arlington County EMT.  He spent the first few days sifting through the crash site.  He said it was pretty bad.  Something about it being my hometown and where Tony works gets to me.
2009-09-09 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Sam, I know what you mean about the power of DC.  The Army 10 miler is a special race for me.  My father died a few years ago and was an Army officer.  I have been away from that life style for quite a while but everytime I am around it it brings with it a flood of emotions.  Having the young soldiers working the aide stations and packet pick up, start/finish at the pentagon, seeing all the parents who run with the child's face on their shirt who died in combat.....  After a while I had to stop reading the shirts or I'd never finish the race. Plus those soldiers who run the race in full combat gear and ruck sacks - impressive.  Last year around mile 3, 5 and 7 someone in the crowd was following the race with a poster that said "Way to go FRED"  (my father's name).  It was very special to see.  When I crossed the finish line and got my finisher's coin I had a private word with my dad and said I hope he was proud, I did it for him.   I am expecting this year to be just as emotional.  Excited to see you there and share it with you and Tony. 

2009-09-09 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Chris,  that is so exciting!   I'll bet you are the talk of the club house! Way to go!!!

Trevor - I'm sure Steve would love to play host to all of us - come do Cananda!   I'm not sure why I picked it, things just fell into place.  First, Steve did it twice and so did a former member of the mentor group - so it was pretty special following their training and racing.   I think I am being a little brain washed at spin class b/c the instructor plays ironman videos during class and he just raced IMCA last week.  The only races he has shown are IMCA and Kona.  Third, I have a girlfriend who wants to race with me and she thought Canada was great.  I was able to narrow it down to Wisconsin, Kentucky and Canada and she voted for Canada so that sealed it. Besides, it is such a beautiful part of the country and if I am luck Steve will come watch  (me puke all over the finish line )

But first I have a 2 miles swim and a couple marathons to get through - baby steps..... speaking of which, I held a 9:20 pace on my five mile run last night!!  Fastest ever for me!  WHOO HOOO!!

Edited by tahrens 2009-09-09 9:27 AM
2009-09-09 9:34 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Ok, it is that time again.....Who's racing this weekend? goals?  We want details!!!!

2009-09-09 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2396427

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
SSMinnow - 2009-09-09 9:34 AM Ok, it is that time again.....Who's racing this weekend? goals?  We want details!!!!

YOU!
2009-09-09 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2396427

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
SSMinnow - 2009-09-09 10:34 AM Ok, it is that time again.....Who's racing this weekend? goals?  We want details!!!!

Me!
Goal - be brave enough to make it to the start line and tough enough to reach the finish line!!!! 
Good luck Suzy, Rob and Janet!!!!!
2009-09-09 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Hey guys.  It's been a trying couple of days for me.  It started out with a great run on Saturday morning (even though it rained the whole time).  It was my last long run before my half marathon and I was shooting for around 9 miles.  I ended up doing 10.13 and still felt decent at the end.  Things went kind of downhill after that though.  I woke up Sunday with a cold, so spent most of that day and Monday laying around trying to let my body fight this bug.  I probably should have stayed home yesterday but it was an in-service day for faculty and staff so I kind of had to be at work.  I did manage to do a short 3 mile TM run last night - actually felt OK during the run although it wore me out more than 3 miles usually does.  Today will be another rest day and if I don't feel better by tonight, I may just take a sick day tomorrow.  I'm not going to let this cold keep me from doing my half on Sunday!

2009-09-09 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2396490

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

No racing for me.   My 5 year old has a duathlon this weekend.

Went for my 19 miler after work yesterday.  Normally want to get them done early in the morning but my son had his first day of Kindergarden.

Miles 1 - 11 were pretty good.  Made sure to keep my pace not too fast just in case, then the wheels fell off.  Couldn't keep my HR down so had to walk/run from 11- 16, then from 16-18 my body just shut down.  had to shuffle along.  Got passed my some girl pushing her bike up a hill, I was going that slow.

Then about mile 18 I started to get dizzy and
nauseous.  It got so bad I saw someone parking and I was seriously considered asking the person to drive me the rest of the 1/2 mile home.

Got home, passed out on the floor.  Any time I stretched a muscle in my leg it would sieze up immediately.

Felt pretty miserable.  Coach thinks it was lack of nutrition based on the time of day I went.  So he has me running another one on Sunday.  Looking for some redemption.

Pretty much the most miserable I have ever felt in a workout.

Edited by dalessit 2009-09-09 10:25 AM
2009-09-09 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2396394

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2009-09-09 8:25 AM Chris,  that is so exciting!   I'll bet you are the talk of the club house! Way to go!!!

Trevor - I'm sure Steve would love to play host to all of us - come do Cananda!   I'm not sure why I picked it, things just fell into place.  First, Steve did it twice and so did a former member of the mentor group - so it was pretty special following their training and racing.   I think I am being a little brain washed at spin class b/c the instructor plays ironman videos during class and he just raced IMCA last week.  The only races he has shown are IMCA and Kona.  Third, I have a girlfriend who wants to race with me and she thought Canada was great.  I was able to narrow it down to Wisconsin, Kentucky and Canada and she voted for Canada so that sealed it. Besides, it is such a beautiful part of the country and if I am luck Steve will come watch  (me puke all over the finish line )

But first I have a 2 miles swim and a couple marathons to get through - baby steps..... speaking of which, I held a 9:20 pace on my five mile run last night!!  Fastest ever for me!  WHOO HOOO!!

Honestly, Steve and I probably live close to the same distance from Penticton. I'm about a 7hr drive give or take an hour.
We'll see how the winter goes but the plan is 2 70.3's next year ,then volunteer at IMCA , to sign up for 2011. And we are brainwashed up here as well, as that is the only one we have in Canada. 

2009-09-09 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

HIM Muskoka. Its finally here. Now I am good and nervous about the race. heading up to the rave on Friady going to hang out on Saturday and just take in the excitement.

Is it normal to have your thighs feel tight right now. Still have an issue with the glut. My daughter says it all in my head but I told her that's not the end that hurts.

"be brave enough to make it to the start line and tough enough to reach the finish line!!!!  "
my sentiments exactly Tracy

Edited by Redknight 2009-09-09 11:34 AM
2009-09-09 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2396780

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Redknight - 2009-09-09 10:33 AM

HIM Muskoka. Its finally here. Now I am good and nervous about the race. heading up to the rave on Friady going to hang out on Saturday and just take in the excitement.

Is it normal to have your thighs feel tight right now. Still have an issue with the glut. My daughter says it all in my head but I told her that's not the end that hurts.

"be brave enough to make it to the start line and tough enough to reach the finish line!!!!  "
my sentiments exactly Tracy

Not going to touch that one Rob(literally!!!)

You're just feeling a little nervous right now I bet. You'll be fine. You're a strong man, and have trained for it. You are ready!!! Let me know you're bib number when you find it out.
2009-09-09 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2396577

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
dalessit - 2009-09-09 11:17 AM

Tony, my run was much shorter, but I'm right with you.  My long run was supposed to be Saturday, but traveling Saturday and Sunday pushed it off to Monday.  Poor diet while traveling and Monday morning led to a miserable run.
Your history shows you can do it - you just had a bad day.  We all do at some point.

2009-09-09 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2396577

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
dalessit - 2009-09-09 10:17 AM

No racing for me.   My 5 year old has a duathlon this weekend.

Went for my 19 miler after work yesterday.  Normally want to get them done early in the morning but my son had his first day of Kindergarden.

Miles 1 - 11 were pretty good.  Made sure to keep my pace not too fast just in case, then the wheels fell off.  Couldn't keep my HR down so had to walk/run from 11- 16, then from 16-18 my body just shut down.  had to shuffle along.  Got passed my some girl pushing her bike up a hill, I was going that slow.

Then about mile 18 I started to get dizzy and
nauseous.  It got so bad I saw someone parking and I was seriously considered asking the person to drive me the rest of the 1/2 mile home.

Got home, passed out on the floor.  Any time I stretched a muscle in my leg it would sieze up immediately.

Felt pretty miserable.  Coach thinks it was lack of nutrition based on the time of day I went.  So he has me running another one on Sunday.  Looking for some redemption.

19 miles is a LONG way dude...anyway you shake it.  It will only get easier, I think.
2009-09-09 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2396962

User image

Elite
san francisco
BigReub - 2009-09-09 10:47 AM
dalessit - 2009-09-09 11:17 AM

Tony, my run was much shorter, but I'm right with you.  My long run was supposed to be Saturday, but traveling Saturday and Sunday pushed it off to Monday.  Poor diet while traveling and Monday morning led to a miserable run.
Your history shows you can do it - you just had a bad day.  We all do at some point.

Absolutely agree, Tony.  I feel awful running anytime after 12 noon.  I think if I have a few meals in me, I can't do anything (with the exception of easy cycling) without feeling heavy, nauseous, bloaty, you name it.  You've got another shot on Sunday and you will nail it.  I'm sure you have a few more Looong Runs left before your marathon to get it down pat.  Try to do everything just the way you would pre-race for these last few...and then there will be less mystery for race day
2009-09-09 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2397175

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
kt65 - 2009-09-09 3:03 PM  I think if I have a few meals in me, I can't do anything (with the exception of easy cycling)

Interesting - I'm the other way. If I don't eat I'm done.  I struggle with anything in the AM unless I've had time to eat a nice breakfast about an hour beforehand.

Edited by BigReub 2009-09-10 8:59 AM
2009-09-09 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia
I've got my first olympic distance tri this weekend, the Nation's Tri.  Once I get past the swim part, I should be ok.   I heard there will be 6,000 people doing it, so the crowds may be problematic.
-Nick
2009-09-09 6:48 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Tony--- Nutrition was my 1st thought reading your post.  Great job on the run... That is why you do these runs, work on pace, nutrition, mind games, etc.... Way to go.

Tracy--- I am always up for a trip to Pentiction.  6 hours door to door! Come visit anytime!  It is fun to go up a couple days early (2010) and bike the course, then enjoy the rest of the weekend activities!

Chris--- Congrats on the SPOTLIGHT!  Always good to be seen like that in the workplace!

Rob--- Completely normal to feel like rubbish the week before your big race.  Your body is use to going going going.... You are fine.   You are also prepared both PHSYICALLY and MENTALLY!  Hang in there!

2009-09-09 6:55 PM
in reply to: #2397316

User image

Elite
san francisco
BigReub - 2009-09-09 12:54 PM
kt65 - 2009-09-09 3:03 PM  I think if I have a few meals in me, I can't do anything (with the exception of easy cycling)

Interesting - I'm the other way. If I don't eat I'm done.  I struggle with anything in the AM unless I've had time to eat a nice breakfast about an hour beforehand. 

perhaps I miscommunicated that, Reuben, I can't seem to do afternoon runs or swims after having had breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc.  I do however eat a small breakfast 30-45 min prior to long run (gen. just toast w/peanut butter and maybe a half banana before long runs to keep glycogen levels consistent.  But too much in my stomach/intestines just doesn't work for me. 
2009-09-09 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2397616

User image

Champion
brownnugen - 2009-09-09 6:09 PM I've got my first olympic distance tri this weekend, the Nation's Tri.  Once I get past the swim part, I should be ok.   I heard there will be 6,000 people doing it, so the crowds may be problematic.
-Nick

Good luck Nick, that is a crowded race, I did it last year as a relay.  Bike course was a bit congested but not that bad, and I had to ride through all the slower folks since relays went of last.

2009-09-09 8:22 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Ready for a good laugh?  I decided I needed to do another tire change and actually fill it with a CO2 cartridge. I pulled out my handy little inflator and tried to pop in the threaded CO2 cartridge.  NOPE!  The entire season I was carrying around threaded CO2 cartridges when I need unthreaded.  WHAT A DOPE!

So here is my question.  How do you know how much to put in the tire?  I ride with 100PSI and short of pressing on the tire to see if it is hard enough, I don't know what to do.  How much does a standard 16 g CO2 cartridge hold?

2009-09-09 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2397885

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2009-09-09 9:22 PM Ready for a good laugh?  I decided I needed to do another tire change and actually fill it with a CO2 cartridge. I pulled out my handy little inflator and tried to pop in the threaded CO2 cartridge.  NOPE!  The entire season I was carrying around threaded CO2 cartridges when I need unthreaded.  WHAT A DOPE!

So here is my question.  How do you know how much to put in the tire?  I ride with 100PSI and short of pressing on the tire to see if it is hard enough, I don't know what to do.  How much does a standard 16 g CO2 cartridge hold?

Co2 is meant to be used in an emergency, you just have to guess, tire pressure isn't really an exact science, most people over inflate anways. 

LOL, with the other 19 miler on Sunday I will end up with 51 miles for the week, whew...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383