BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2008-05-13 12:14 PM
in reply to: #1354013

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Subject: RE: LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED!

Thank you to all for your opinions and comments, sorry I didn't write in sooner, I was out on my bikeSmile 

I am leaning towards having fun with both races at this point, but there is no need to make up my mind for sure until a week or two out from the first race. The second race (7/12) does also offer an aquabike in the event that I am not fully recovered at that point.

One of the things that makes it so hard to decide is that the first race is a flat, fast course whereas the second one is very hot and hilly. I still have no experience yet with my bike on hills. The second race was more of a test to see if I could handle IM-KY-like conditions before signing up for that. (hills are a 60min drive for me to find, so it is not so easy to work that into training).

Quick side comment about the marathon question, the rule-of-thumb is recovery days after a road race = number of miles in the race. This doesn't mean no training for 26 days after the marathon, but it is recommended not to go at a very hard effort durring this time.

2008-05-13 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1399460

User image

Sensei
Sin City
shiggy - 2008-05-13 10:14 AM

Thank you to all for your opinions and comments, sorry I didn't write in sooner, I was out on my bikeSmile 

I am leaning towards having fun with both races at this point, but there is no need to make up my mind for sure until a week or two out from the first race. The second race (7/12) does also offer an aquabike in the event that I am not fully recovered at that point.

One of the things that makes it so hard to decide is that the first race is a flat, fast course whereas the second one is very hot and hilly. I still have no experience yet with my bike on hills. The second race was more of a test to see if I could handle IM-KY-like conditions before signing up for that. (hills are a 60min drive for me to find, so it is not so easy to work that into training).

Quick side comment about the marathon question, the rule-of-thumb is recovery days after a road race = number of miles in the race. This doesn't mean no training for 26 days after the marathon, but it is recommended not to go at a very hard effort durring this time.

I like that rule!  From experience, that sounds about right.  I wasn't ready to bang out another half mary for about two weeks after my first.  I could run an easy 10 - 13 miles, but nothing too demanding.

2008-05-13 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

To those of you thinking about the HIM for the fall, I say go for it! If you choose one that also offers a sprint or olympic race (as they often do) you can have a fall back in the event that it doesn't work out with training.

2008-05-13 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1399478

User image

Sensei
Sin City
shiggy - 2008-05-13 10:19 AM

To those of you thinking about the HIM for the fall, I say go for it! If you choose one that also offers a sprint or olympic race (as they often do) you can have a fall back in the event that it doesn't work out with training.

That's a good strategy!  I've called up the R.D. once about a week before a race and asked to be moved to the sprint because I wanted to race with friends (and I had never done a sprint, either....).

They had no problem with it.  Not to say that's a given for ANY race.

2008-05-13 12:45 PM
in reply to: #1399335

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Aikidoman - 2008-05-13 12:41 PM

On no....

I JUST noticed that little tickle in the back of the sinuses/throat of a cold.  I hope it's my imagination, but I'm usually right......

Blech -- me too and I have my first half marathon this weekend.  I haven't been sick at all in probably over a year.  This would be pretty crappy timing!  I also have a fierce headache.  I'm trying to flush whatever it is out with a lot of water.. grrr

2008-05-13 1:03 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Claire--It sounds like the first HIM is the one in which you want to do better.  The one in July seems like it should be the fun one due to the crappy conditions you may encounter.  I don't think you'll have enough time during your recovery from the June HIM to get much hill training done.  If you skipped the June HIM, you would have to hit the hills pretty hard which may induce a training injury and will waste lots of gas.  Just my 2cents.

2008-05-13 1:07 PM
in reply to: #1399353

User image

Elite
far northern CA

GomesBolt - 2008-05-13 9:46 AM Man, What a great group! Alright, here's a question for you people who've finished Marathons. How long after the Marathon do you think it'd be good not to plan on racing/training? I guess I could probably be back in the pool the week after. The people I ran with last weekend were coming-off of running the Big Sur Marathon out in Carmel and they did 8 on Saturday so it seems like there's almost no stopping unless you weren't properly prepared. I understand everyone's different, just want to get a feel for how long I'll be laid-up.

Yes, everyone is different in how long it takes to recover from a marathon.  I was swimming and doing yoga within a few days of completing a marathon and doing some easy treadmill running the following week.  Two weeks later, I did a 60 mile bike ride and three weeks later I went mountaineering.  I didn't do any long runs for at least a month.

2008-05-13 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1399579

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
That Airborne stuff works well. Because I do a lot of travel (when I'm not on baby watch) I worry about picking-up all kinds of stuff, but I pop one of those airbornes and the yuk usually goes away.

Hot Tea is also good. Kenyan Olympians drink like a gallon of hot tea a day. Maybe that's the key to speed. Nevermind years of conditioning by running 6 miles to and from school each day right?
2008-05-13 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1399660

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
owl_girl - 2008-05-13 2:07 PM

GomesBolt - 2008-05-13 9:46 AM Man, What a great group! Alright, here's a question for you people who've finished Marathons. How long after the Marathon do you think it'd be good not to plan on racing/training? I guess I could probably be back in the pool the week after. The people I ran with last weekend were coming-off of running the Big Sur Marathon out in Carmel and they did 8 on Saturday so it seems like there's almost no stopping unless you weren't properly prepared. I understand everyone's different, just want to get a feel for how long I'll be laid-up.

Yes, everyone is different in how long it takes to recover from a marathon. 

Very true! In fact, from personal experience, no two marathon recoveries have been the same for me. It totally depended on how well I trained for it, and how hard I pushed myself in the race. One time I felt great after a week post race, and a different time I couldn't stand up without using my arms for 3 weeks (guess which time I didn't train properly!)

2008-05-13 3:07 PM
in reply to: #1400100

User image

In other words, train smart for it right?

I have a Cardiac Stress Test on Friday (I'm on-standby right now, but they usually have time to get to the standby people). It looks interesting, they put you on the treadmill and start it off at a slow-walk and elevate it and increase speed every three minutes until you quit or they reach the "target HR." Which I presume will be the 221 minus age (190).

The only thing that pops into my head when I hear that is the Cosby Show episode where Bill has to get a stress test and he's goofing-off until he starts to get up in speed and then he keeps falling-off the treadmill.

I'm going to have swam 3000 meters the morning before that so we'll see how it goes. Anyone else ever have one of those tests?
2008-05-13 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
I have.  I had a PCP who was a cardiologist and I told her that I thought I had a small something or other wrong, she gave me the full work up.  EKGs, Stress Test, I got dye injected in my veins under a CAT Scan - that was weird, I was hooked up to a heart monitor for 24hrs.  All test were negative.  I guess I was mistaken.  Better to be safe than sorry. 

2008-05-13 3:40 PM
in reply to: #1400155

User image

Sensei
Sin City

GomesBolt - 2008-05-13 1:07 PM In other words, train smart for it right? I have a Cardiac Stress Test on Friday (I'm on-standby right now, but they usually have time to get to the standby people). It looks interesting, they put you on the treadmill and start it off at a slow-walk and elevate it and increase speed every three minutes until you quit or they reach the "target HR." Which I presume will be the 221 minus age (190). The only thing that pops into my head when I hear that is the Cosby Show episode where Bill has to get a stress test and he's goofing-off until he starts to get up in speed and then he keeps falling-off the treadmill. I'm going to have swam 3000 meters the morning before that so we'll see how it goes. Anyone else ever have one of those tests?

I'm not sure what the are testing for.  I would need to see what data they are giving you.  I have had a stress test done a long time ago, but I forget what it gave me.  I have had a more important VO2 max text done recently (on the bike) - more important, I should say, for athletic performance reasons.....

They should just keep increasing the intensity and measure HR - They may be just testing you against the "average" person.  I'm hoping they take some blood or breath samples to get you some unique performance peramaters just for you.

2008-05-13 9:18 PM

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH
Hey guys, I had an amazing bike ride today.  I got in over 40 miles at a pace over 18 mph.  It was alot of fun.  I had some nice intervals, a few big hills and a lot of long stretches to get a good pace on.  I did the ride with a group of people which is so much better than biking alone.  I'll have to do this every tuesday and sunday.
2008-05-13 9:28 PM
in reply to: #1401004

User image

Master
Olney, MD

dlswimmer - 2008-05-13 10:18 PM Hey guys, I had an amazing bike ride today.  I got in over 40 miles at a pace over 18 mph.  It was alot of fun.  I had some nice intervals, a few big hills and a lot of long stretches to get a good pace on.  I did the ride with a group of people which is so much better than biking alone.  I'll have to do this every tuesday and sunday.

Wow!!  Nice job today   How did you find the group of people to ride with?  Was it out of your LBS?

2008-05-14 7:34 AM
in reply to: #1401020

User image

Tracy, if you go to your local bike shops, they usually have group rides posted. At least in places I've lived.

Still no baby.

I don't know if there's a phisiological explanation for it, but I feel like I'm cold more often. Maybe losing fat does that, but I went on a hospital tour with my wife yesterday and that place was freaking freezing. Does anyone else get cold the more they train?

Maybe I'm just getting to be a thin-blood with the heat down here. Maybe I'm just a wuss. I do like listening to Colby Callait. That's gotta be a sign of wuss-dom.
2008-05-14 7:49 AM
in reply to: #1401020

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH
vball03umd - 2008-05-13 10:28 PM

dlswimmer - 2008-05-13 10:18 PM Hey guys, I had an amazing bike ride today.  I got in over 40 miles at a pace over 18 mph.  It was alot of fun.  I had some nice intervals, a few big hills and a lot of long stretches to get a good pace on.  I did the ride with a group of people which is so much better than biking alone.  I'll have to do this every tuesday and sunday.

Wow!!  Nice job today   How did you find the group of people to ride with?  Was it out of your LBS?

I joined a triathlon club and they post group rides every tuesday and sunday.  Its open to everyone, but its through the club.

Edited by dlswimmer 2008-05-14 7:50 AM

2008-05-14 7:53 AM
in reply to: #1401336

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

GomesBolt - 2008-05-14 8:34 AM  I don't know if there's a phisiological explanation for it, but I feel like I'm cold more often. Maybe losing fat does that, but I went on a hospital tour with my wife yesterday and that place was freaking freezing. Does anyone else get cold the more they train? Maybe I'm just getting to be a thin-blood with the heat down here. Maybe I'm just a wuss. I do like listening to Colby Callait. That's gotta be a sign of wuss-dom.

Water is a big factor in what regulates your body's temperature, so it is possible that you are dehydrated/not drinking enough water.  You could just have poor circulation though.

2008-05-14 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1401371

User image

Don't think that's the case, I hydrate all-day long and I keep an eye on the urine color test. Pale-yellow even with a multivitamin in my system.

Is anyone able to watch the Giro D' Italia?
2008-05-14 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1401528

Champion
South Jersey

GomesBolt - 2008-05-14 9:52 AM Don't think that's the case, I hydrate all-day long and I keep an eye on the urine color test. Pale-yellow even with a multivitamin in my system. Is anyone able to watch the Giro D' Italia?

Hm, not sure. Iron defiency?

2008-05-14 9:11 AM

Champion
South Jersey

Grrr. My Internet at home is down, and it's looking like it's a situation that will require a tech coming out (maybe due to the bad storms we had Mon-Tues). So, while I was hoping to spend this evening catching up with everyone on BT (no training tonight), it appears that won't happen . Work is busy today.

I swear, it's always something.

2008-05-14 9:54 AM
in reply to: #1401586

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Sorry about the computer problems Lauren.  They can be AMAZINGLY frustrating.  I think it is like when phone lines would go down 20 years ago.  No way to communicate....

Anyway everyone, I have been swamped, so sorry.  I want to get back w/ some inspires and check on everyone's progress....

Things are getting a little "tense" at the office so I need to stay focused.  Then training,  father in law is in town so have to keep him fed and entertained, then coordinating with contractors to get the bathroom finished. ....At least we can see the light at the end of the tunnel on that though!  We should be able to move back in there this weekend.

I have a meeting this morning that is in the next small town over (90 minutes away) so that will kill half a day just traveling...

Happy training all...

2008-05-14 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
I'm in the same boat as you guys. Extremely busy times right now, especially getting ready to leave for 5 weeks to CA. But I'm getting ready to head out for the run with the new 305. Can't wait! Hope you all are doing well and your training is doing just as well. Peace out!
2008-05-14 11:42 AM
in reply to: #1401528

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

GomesBolt - 2008-05-14 9:52 AM Don't think that's the case, I hydrate all-day long and I keep an eye on the urine color test. Pale-yellow even with a multivitamin in my system.

Hmm... thats a tough one then. Could run it by your doc and get a blood test, but maybe its a short-term issue that will resolve itself.

2008-05-14 3:50 PM

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH

I have a question about Heart Rate Zones.  I know that its important to correctly train in the different zones and I have a pretty good feel for what each of the zones are.

My previous understanding was that heart rate zone 5 (90-100%) is for short periods and very hard to maintain.  On my bike ride yesterday, I was in zone 5 for over half of the ride.  I realize that I was probably only in it 30 sec on, 30 sec off, but that still seems like something very hard to do.  Looking back at my workout graph, I'd spend 10 minutes at a time in zone 5.

Do I not quite understand how the zones should work, or are my ranges probably off?

{edit} ok... after taking my max heart rate from the last workout into account, it drops my time in zone 5 to 30 min.  That sounds a bit more resonable.

Edited by dlswimmer 2008-05-14 3:53 PM
2008-05-14 4:18 PM
in reply to: #1401703

User image

jjweav - 2008-05-14 10:58 AM

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Extremely busy times right now, especially getting ready to leave for 5 weeks to CA. But I'm getting ready to head out for the run with the new 305. Can't wait! Hope you all are doing well and your training is doing just as well. Peace out!

Hope the run goes well with your new 305! I miss mine so much. It's on it's way back to me where it belongs from Garmin right now. It arrived in Jacksonville at 4:55 (21 minutes ago) I think I should have it in-time for this weekend. I can't wait.

I guess I should be that excited about my baby arriving, but it's like comparing apples and orangutangs.

I'm out for today folks. Happy Training WOOT!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 66