BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2012-01-04 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3971029

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING
kt65 - 2012-01-04 3:00 PM
jfought - 2012-01-04 11:55 AM
SSMinnow - 2012-01-04 6:59 AM

Who's starting the year off right with a little tango this weekend?  I know of at least one MG'er taking on a double header!!  Give us the scoop on your racing plans!

And if you're not racing, have you solidified those 2012 goals yet?  Share one or all of them to get the rest of us inspired!

Not racing, but doing a 5mi. Poker Run on Sunday.  It's a prediction trail run with the local running club.  Haven't done this before, but looking forward to it.  Best part is it's only a $3 donation and they have hot chocolate. 

I'm struggling with my 2012 goals.  I was all pumped up about doing my first HIM, but now I'm wavering big time.  Just the thought of it makes my stomach churn.  The only one that fits my schedule would be early in July, and I just don't know if I would be ready.  My main goal over the winter has been to improve my run and I think I might keep this focus over the summer too.  I don't want to be stupid and kill myself trying to focus on too many things all at the same time. 

My highlight of the summer is going to be pacing a runner at the Leadville Trail 100 and I really want to focus my extra energies on trail running and lengthening out the distances.  I figure if I'm patient and keep that goal in mind, it will benefit me in all of my triathlons next summer and in the future. 

There, it's decided.  Going to do Sprints and Olys and focus on improving my run.  Cool  No shame in waiting on the HIM. 

Nice, Jayne, don't you love when you work things out aloud (or at least on the internet!) and come to a conclusion that is final!?  Love your focus and keep up the good work, that HIM will be there when you want it! 

Yep, sometimes you just have to put it in print to convince yourself.  Patience is not one of my strengths, but I'm working on it :-)  Good luck at your race/s.  Will we be able to track you??

2012-01-04 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3971007

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
jfought - 2012-01-04 2:55 PM

Who's starting the year off right with a little tango this weekend?  I know of at least one MG'er taking on a double header!!  Give us the scoop on your racing plans!

And if you're not racing, have you solidified those 2012 goals yet?  Share one or all of them to get the rest of us inspired!

Not racing, but doing a 5mi. Poker Run on Sunday.  It's a prediction trail run with the local running club.  Haven't done this before, but looking forward to it.  Best part is it's only a $3 donation and they have hot chocolate. 

I'm struggling with my 2012 goals.  I was all pumped up about doing my first HIM, but now I'm wavering big time.  Just the thought of it makes my stomach churn.  The only one that fits my schedule would be early in July, and I just don't know if I would be ready.  My main goal over the winter has been to improve my run and I think I might keep this focus over the summer too.  I don't want to be stupid and kill myself trying to focus on too many things all at the same time. 

My highlight of the summer is going to be pacing a runner at the Leadville Trail 100 and I really want to focus my extra energies on trail running and lengthening out the distances.  I figure if I'm patient and keep that goal in mind, it will benefit me in all of my triathlons next summer and in the future. 

There, it's decided.  Going to do Sprints and Olys and focus on improving my run.  Cool  No shame in waiting on the HIM. 

My thoughts exactly; although I was never even tempted by a HIM this year.  My "A" races will be an Oly and a HM, and my training focus is still heavily run based (4-5x/wk).  A solid run base from the past few months has made swimming and biking seem easier in my first couple of workouts this year.  I'm sure the twenty pounds I've lost aren't hurting either.

2012-01-04 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3971017

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
kt65 - 2012-01-04 2:57 PM
SSMinnow - 2012-01-04 3:59 AM

GOOFY!

I guess that's me, according to Suzy's article from the other day, I not only chose a January marathon, I chose to do a half marathon the day before it!  Geesh.  Oh well, never one to follow conventional wisdom...I am all about having fun at both races as long as my silly foot holds up...Bringing my camera with me...will also be wearing my red shorts that Kathy put big yellow buttons on so I can run in costume complete with black top and Mickey Ears. 

We are flying out on a red eye tomorrow and will arrive in the ATL at the crack of dawn on Friday morning for our connecting flight.  Will Paul's best friend (not nice calling either of the boys fat, Suzy!) be around???   

And since I am "racing", I will wait until next week to work on those 2012 goals. 

I don't think the Christmas decorations are going to come down before we leave...arrrrgh! 

Mine are still up as well ... at least the ones that haven't blown down yet.  My yard looks like a Christmas tornado hit it after all the wind we've had the last few days. 

Good luck this weekend, Goofy!!!  Wish you were staying longer in the ATL.

2012-01-04 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3971131

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
jfought - 2012-01-04 1:36 PM

Nice, Jayne, don't you love when you work things out aloud (or at least on the internet!) and come to a conclusion that is final!?  Love your focus and keep up the good work, that HIM will be there when you want it! 

Yep, sometimes you just have to put it in print to convince yourself.  Patience is not one of my strengths, but I'm working on it :-)  Good luck at your race/s.  Will we be able to track you??

Does peer pressure make you do anything though?

'Cause I think you should sign up for a HIM. As does Kim. Wink

2012-01-04 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3971233

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
TrevorC - 2012-01-04 3:26 PM

Well Suzy thinks Jayne knows best...and deep down you know you really want to talk about Jayne to take the focus off the fact you haven't worked out in any meaningful way since August.  Unless you consider beer curls working out!Tongue out

Go Jayne!  Run like the wind.

2012-01-04 3:57 PM

User image

Champion
kt65 - 2012-01-04 1:57 PM

GOOFY!

I guess that's me, according to Suzy's article from the other day, I not only chose a January marathon, I chose to do a half marathon the day before it!  Geesh.  Oh well, never one to follow conventional wisdom...I am all about having fun at both races as long as my silly foot holds up...Bringing my camera with me...will also be wearing my red shorts that Kathy put big yellow buttons on so I can run in costume complete with black top and Mickey Ears. 

We are flying out on a red eye tomorrow and will arrive in the ATL at the crack of dawn on Friday morning for our connecting flight.  Will Paul's best friend (not nice calling either of the boys fat, Suzy!) be around???   

And since I am "racing", I will wait until next week to work on those 2012 goals. 

I don't think the Christmas decorations are going to come down before we leave...arrrrgh!

It took me a minute and then I LMAO!  Actually Paul has worked out three times since New Years Eve so I am secretly thrilled at his progress.  I know Fatty is secretly biking and swimming too Laughing.  Svelte boys for Florida.

Twin, have an absolutely fabulous time.  I love the fact you will wear that outfit for Kat and can't wait to see multiple photos on FB!!!  Take care of the foot at all costs though!

Fatty, Doug, Linda, Julia(?)--I checked Paul's board schedules and there are NO meetings.  I am putting the pressure on so that both of us can cheer the IM'ers on the entire day (and night for Fatty!!!).

2012-01-04 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3971233

User image

Elite
san francisco
TrevorC - 2012-01-04 1:26 PM

Yeah, right.  Don't listen to him, he's delusional from sniffing glue down in the basement!  Trevor, when are you going to jump back on that trainer now that you have a new man-cave!?

2012-01-04 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3969910

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2012-01-04 5:59 AM

I spent a lot of time thinking about my '12 goals.  I am usually not great at sticking them out there, but this year I am changing my ways!  Some of them are really STREEEEEEEETCH for me, but you can't do things you never imagined if you don't try.

IM PR: Current PR 2011: 13:21, Stretch: Top 20% of AG (27% '11)
10K PR: Current PR 2007: 45:42, Stretch: Sub 45:00
Steady Swim Pace at 2:00/100 or below (2:12/100 '11)
FTP greater than or equal to 200W (4.34W/KG)

2012-01-04 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Jatne: Waiting to do the HIM next year is a good idea. This is my 4th season and I am going to do my first full IM at the end of it. The first year was sprints and one olympic. 2nd year was the sprints, 2 olympics and 1 half. 3rd year was mostly the same.

So here we are. We are not all the same. we have different strengths and weaknesses and we develop at different rates. It takes time to build the base needed to do the longer distances and a lot of the base is built doind long slow distance. It takes time. Doing the HIM next year gives you that time, You made a wise choice. What I do , or anyone else does this year should not influence anyone else here. Some MG  peeps are doing ultras. I will never do that. Looking at logs from last year I cannot imagine running 2800 miles in a year.

Suzy, I really hope Paul goes to Florida too. I look forward to meeting both of you. Is there anyway we can get others from the MG to come on down for the party?

Edited by DougRob 2012-01-04 4:23 PM
2012-01-04 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3971349

User image

Champion
DougRob - 2012-01-04 4:22 PM

Jatne: Waiting to do the HIM next year is a good idea. This is my 4th season and I am going to do my first full IM at the end of it. The first year was sprints and one olympic. 2nd year was the sprints, 2 olympics and 1 half. 3rd year was mostly the same.

So here we are. We are not all the same. we have different strengths and weaknesses and we develop at different rates. It takes time to build the base needed to do the longer distances and a lot of the base is built doind long slow distance. It takes time. Doing the HIM next year gives you that time, You made a wise choice. What I do , or anyone else does this year should not influence anyone else here. Some MG  peeps are doing ultras. I will never do that. Looking at logs from last year I cannot imagine running 2800 miles in a year.

Suzy, I really hope Paul goes to Florida too. I look forward to meeting both of you. Is there anyway we can get others from the MG to come on down for the party?

I should think we might be able to put some pressure on Chris, George, Tracy, Tony and Sam......all East Coasters! or anyone considering doing IM FL in '13!  Hands? 

I am going down strictly for the fun of it all.  It'll be the first time I will be with the MG when I am not a nervous wreck over the swim!

2012-01-04 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3971362

User image

Master

I am very late to all of the parties, which is unlike me as I have issues with being disgustingly on time. But it's good for me to practice being late!!

So here are my totals:

December's totals:
Run:

25h 20m 39s  - 159.88 Mi

2011 totals
Bike:178h 13m 01s  - 2807.53 Mi
Run:223h 20m 12s  - 1348.86 Mi
Swim:50h 17m 33s  - 182448 Yd
Strength:26m
Hiking:7h 19m
Kayaking:1h 10m
Orienteering:1h 30m
Physical Therapy:2h 50m
Stretching:30m
Walking:2h 00m
Yoga:3h 00m

Hits and misses? Hits: IM PR, still happily married, love my kids, roof over my head, live a wonderful and blessed life in an awesome part of the country. Misses: Hamstring tear on April 8, but I was doing what I love (running with son and dog on trails), and, well, $3!* happens!

2012 goals? Just keep having fun, baby. Maintain balance. Train with friends. Keep it real. Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile...

2012-01-04 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

Serious question for the group:

So I was hit with a nasty cold that ended up turning to pneumonia.  I have been down for the count since Tuesday of last week.  I think I am a day or two away from being able to get back out there (also 5 lbs lighter).  So what are your thoughts about the Marathon I have been training for February 4th?  My last week's mileage was 50.  My 2 peak weeks start next week (53,60) with a 2 week taper.  So option 1) jump back in see how it goes. 2) run but scale back mileage and goal time.  3) scrap it and get ready for ironman training.

CdA training plan starts the week after.

2012-01-04 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3971380

User image

Good for you, Jayne. Take your time and do what's right for you. I'm also sticking with shorter races this year. I did 2 HIMs last year, and I liked the races but found the training stressful. Not why I'm doing this. My goals this season are to get faster at the Oly distance and do lots of trail running.

I hope I can make it to Florida as a volunteer/spectator, but it will depend on Jeff's travel schedule and how much I drive him crazy with my own races this season.

Good luck Kim at Goofy! I can't wait to see the pictures with your M-I-C-K-E-Y hat and shining smile!

2012-01-04 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3969910

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB

No racing for me until Mid Feb....  So Goals:
-- 1) Stay healthy 
-- 2) Have Fun!!  I tend to take things WAAAAAY to serious... there's no fun in that! (this will be hard to do)
-- 3) Anything below a 4 hr time at the Air Force Marathon (very reachable but I've got to #1 and #2)...... LOL!!
-- 4) SWIM ---- yes, the first event in "triathlon" is where I lack any training time.  My own priorities problem.

Like Jayne, I have decided to skip any tri's greater than an OLY; and maybe only one of those late in the summer but we shall see.   I have a bunch of runs scheduled on the calendar already but not much else...

What was that mystery ingredient Kyla mentioned?  Balance?Undecided
I could use some of that.

Edit:  add #5) Find, make, buy or whatever it takes to get some BALANCE!!

2012-01-04 5:05 PM
in reply to: #3971007

User image

Champion
marietta

jfought - 2012-01-04 2:55 PM

I don't want to be stupid 

there it is! 

you're welcome. 

2012-01-04 5:06 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2012-01-04 2:57 PM

GOOFY!

wooooot!  kathy!!!! 

2012-01-04 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3971349

User image

Champion
marietta
DougRob - 2012-01-04 5:22 PM.

he's going.  remind me to tell you about how good suzy is at making reservations and communicating dates to people in her house. 

and about the the balcony. 

but what i want to know is is mrs dougrob and crew going to make it?   they better. 

2012-01-04 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3971362

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2012-01-04 5:29 PM
DougRob - 2012-01-04 4:22 PM

I should think we might be able to put some pressure on Chris, George, Tracy, Tony and Sam......all East Coasters! or anyone considering doing IM FL in '13!  Hands? 

I am going down strictly for the fun of it all.  It'll be the first time I will be with the MG when I am not a nervous wreck over the swim!

;-)    

problem there is they are thinking of leaving the girls at home.  NO!  we're gonna have kiddos everywhere!!!!

still working on the others.  however, one of them asked me for finks IM plan.  and it wasn't chris, tony or sam. 

2012-01-04 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3971390

User image

Champion
marietta
cbarnes1 - 2012-01-04 5:42 PM

So I was hit with a nasty cold that ended up turning to pneumonia.  I have been down for the count since Tuesday of last week.  I think I am a day or two away from being able to get back out there (also 5 lbs lighter).  So what are your thoughts about the Marathon I have been training for February 4th?  My last week's mileage was 50.  My 2 peak weeks start next week (53,60) with a 2 week taper.  So option 1) jump back in see how it goes. 2) run but scale back mileage and goal time.  3) scrap it and get ready for ironman training.

damn... glad you're ok, chet!!!  easy back into into and see how you feel next week  if a-ok then GO!

if any hints its still around then screw it, there are always more marathons... lots of time and cash money invested in cda. 

basically,  my lame answer is if you feel good for kick im plan kickoff over the next few weeks to still enjoy the run then go for it.  might want to wait until you're closer to 100% to make the call. 

2012-01-04 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3971435

User image

Elite
san francisco
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-04 3:11 PM

he's going.  remind me to tell you about how good suzy is at making reservations and communicating dates to people in her house. 

but what i want to know is is mrs dougrob and crew going to make it?   they better. 

I thought Suzy has an assistant to do mundane tasks like that.  Innocent

What's this about the balcony??????????? 

2012-01-04 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3970537

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-04 8:41 AM

this is what awesome is.

--------------------------------------------------

Paul Shain
11:18 AM (21 minutes ago)

to me
Are you planning on running or walking the marathon this time?  Just need to know for planning purposes.

Without ever meeting him, I like him.

2012-01-04 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3970606

User image

Master
TrevorC - 2012-01-04 9:04 AM

Well hello....

2011 totals
Bike:171h 02m 54s  - 3856.89 KM
Run:116h 44m 56s  - 1059.9 KM
Swim:76h 07m 05s  - 179850 M

Had a great 1st 8 months  of training in 2011!! After the end of August I kicked my feet up and put on some lbs!!!

2012 training update: Touching up baseboards tonight, and the carpets comes on Tuesday. Throw some furniture down there next week ...And then can you spell D-O-N-E.

I think this MG is still overwhelmingly American.  Posting in KM is cheating!!!! Innocent

2012-01-04 6:45 PM

User image

Master
kt65 - 2012-01-04 11:57 AM

GOOFY!

The mere idea of this 1.5 MARATHON ranks right up there with the ultra girls - you all amaze me.

WE NEED PICS!!!

Rock it, Kim!!

2012-01-04 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3971435

User image

Elite
Raleigh
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-04 6:11 PM

We are working on the details for that. We are first working on a Spring break trip to SF as a family. Maybe Kim can give us the low down on what we should do there. I have my ideas already, but the local word is more than welcome.

2012-01-04 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3971390

User image

Master
cbarnes1 - 2012-01-04 2:42 PM

My vote would be for #2......but why lose the goal time?  Scale back your mileage based on how you FEEL....lung issues are not worth messing with - ever.  You may be surprised at what a long taper does for you.  As many wise people on this MG have told me - the hay is the barn.  Make your next runs based on PRE - and don't overdo it.  Get lots of rest, eat healthy, finish your meds.  If your air is as crappy as ours right now, use a treadmill.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117