BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-05-21 7:24 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
OK so how do you post pics on the new site?

2013-05-21 7:26 AM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Thanks Jen and Matt!

I was pretty wiped on yesterday and today as well. Yesterday was worse with allergies/sinus crap settling in. I wanted to knock this sinus stuff out so I slept in and got a full 8 hours of sleep. Glad I did because I do feel much better. . Thank goodness for medications

I tried to swim yesterday but with the Sinus pressure and water going in the ears I just felt miserable and called it after only 500 Got on the bike last night for 1hr ZR ride and I have a 2hr Z1/Z2run today.
2013-05-21 7:28 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Scott you should see a Attach a file after posting check box or after you post you can go in and add/remove attachments using the edit on your post.
2013-05-21 7:36 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Pro
CyFair
Alright so here are some pics from Saturday

(IMTX Pics.jpg)

(Finish-TobySylviaFarmer.jpg)

(GirlsPreRace.jpg)

(SwimStartToby.jpg)

(BikeOut1.jpg)

(Kiss2.jpg)

(Finish- infrontofToby.jpg)

(Tommy2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMTX Pics.jpg (70KB - 9 downloads)
Finish-TobySylviaFarmer.jpg (70KB - 13 downloads)
GirlsPreRace.jpg (80KB - 9 downloads)
SwimStartToby.jpg (60KB - 10 downloads)
BikeOut1.jpg (102KB - 14 downloads)
Kiss2.jpg (136KB - 17 downloads)
Finish- infrontofToby.jpg (109KB - 10 downloads)
Tommy2.jpg (95KB - 17 downloads)
2013-05-21 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Awesome Pics Scott! Love the one of the family. We all couldn't do it without their support!
2013-05-21 8:40 AM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by mleech77

Rest day for me today, but getting a sports therapy massage tonight. Sometimes it is very handy to have a wife that is a massage therapist.

That is awesome!

2013-05-21 9:57 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kidtri33

Awesome Pics Scott! Love the one of the family. We all couldn't do it without their support!

I love the family picture as well!!! Great pictures Scott!
2013-05-21 10:03 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Apparently it made the girls day. Which is all I could really ask for. Oh and my 6 year old conned her Mom into getting her ears pierced while I was out on the bike. I no sooner crossed the finish line than she was flashing me hear new earrings.
2013-05-21 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jarvy01

[QUOTE

Not much longer until your first HIM. How are you feeling about it?

I have moments that I think I can finish and moments when I think I have lost my mind and I must be crazy to think I can put all three disciplines together. I also think I should just be a duathlete because no matter what I do, I just can't swim. I'm hoping this is normal thinking 3 weeks out. LOL
2013-05-21 10:26 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by DDVMM

+2. Awesome that they all came out. I bet they're proud of their daddy! That must've gotten you through several run miles right there...
2013-05-21 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...

Originally posted by uhcoog

So I'm trying to pull a race report together. Getting all of your thoughts from a 12 and a half hour day into one coherent report is tough. Things I learned that I thought I'd pass along right off the bat.

1. For IM performance, food is fuel. It doesn't matter if it tastes good or if you like it. It's a means to an end.

2. Drink, drink, and drink some more. There is a reason they have the aid stations where they do. You should be just about to the end of your bottle of whatever around the time you hit the next aid station. This is a minimum. I had an extra, ultra concentrated bottle off the back and that was almost gone too.

3. Carry more salt tabs than you think. You'll inevitably drop some or need more than you plan on.

4. Pain will come and it will go during the day. There were times I wanted off my bike so badly or times I wanted to stop running and just go get an IV at the med tent. If you let it break you mentally you're done. I literally watched people break on Saturday. I also was at the finish line at midnight and saw some of the most emotional moments ever from people who refused to break for 17 hours. Trust me your body can tolerate a lot more than you think it can.

5. Smile. All day long. You'd be amazed at how it changes your frame of mind.

6. Ironman is worth every penny you pay and every hour you put it
Awesome Scott! A true inspiration for all of us!

x2! Truly inspirational!

x a million. This is so amazing. Congrats again...

2013-05-21 10:44 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

[QUOTE

I have moments that I think I can finish and moments when I think I have lost my mind and I must be crazy to think I can put all three disciplines together. I also think I should just be a duathlete because no matter what I do, I just can't swim. I'm hoping this is normal thinking 3 weeks out. LOL

Having a complete mental breakdown a few weeks before a big race is fairly normal. Three weeks beofre IMLP in 2011 I got home from an unhappy long run and pretty much paid down on the living room floor and cried for a while. Training can get over whelming and taering can give your mind way too much time to think about all the little things that really aren't that important. Being on a bit of an emotional roller coaster pre-race is part and parcel of the HIM / IM experience.
2013-05-21 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
And I am back with more questions...this time from swim lessons...

I had lesson 2 last night - the coach was pleased with my glide that we worked on last week. I'm down from 28+ strokes per 25m to low 20s (and even <20 when I'm thinking about it). My new stroke effort to work on is the catch & pull - he gave me some drills to work on, etc., plus we did a number of lengths focused on that to give me the right feel. That's all great stuff...

BUT the other thing that I am apparently lacking is swim-specific fitness. I can swim forever slowly. But that's the problem, I can swim forever slowly.

He had me doing some speedwork as well. I've been going to Masters (before I started lessons) but in the turtle lane (where I fit), the speedwork isn't as intense as he wants me to do - too much waiting for instruction, etc. The Masters I go to now is free - the lessons are anything but. The group I'm taking lessons from does Masters as well (not free, and a hundred miles from my house - OK, I exaggerate - a half-hour drive from home).

So - given that I need to figure out what to do after my last paid-for lesson (not until June 17) - what is the best use of my time & money???
2013-05-21 11:09 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by enders_shadow

And I am back with more questions...this time from swim lessons...

I had lesson 2 last night - the coach was pleased with my glide that we worked on last week. I'm down from 28+ strokes per 25m to low 20s (and even <20 when I'm thinking about it). My new stroke effort to work on is the catch & pull - he gave me some drills to work on, etc., plus we did a number of lengths focused on that to give me the right feel. That's all great stuff...

BUT the other thing that I am apparently lacking is swim-specific fitness. I can swim forever slowly. But that's the problem, I can swim forever slowly.

He had me doing some speedwork as well. I've been going to Masters (before I started lessons) but in the turtle lane (where I fit), the speedwork isn't as intense as he wants me to do - too much waiting for instruction, etc. The Masters I go to now is free - the lessons are anything but. The group I'm taking lessons from does Masters as well (not free, and a hundred miles from my house - OK, I exaggerate - a half-hour drive from home).

So - given that I need to figure out what to do after my last paid-for lesson (not until June 17) - what is the best use of my time & money???

Couple of questions:

1. Your goal race is a HIM, correct? Can you swim 2200 yards without stopping?

2. When you say slow, what do you mean? 2 min / 100? 2:30 / 100 yards?

3. Is the coach or either of the masters programs tri focused? (I ask this because while glide and low stroke count are good for pool swimming where you have clean water in front of you and little to no distrubances from outside forces, tri and OWS is a bit different. In OWS the first part of your swim that you loose is the very front part of your stroke (essentially the glide). I find it important to focus OWS swimmers on getting their arm steep and deep early (also known as early veritical forearm) so they can maximze the part of their stroke that wont get interefered with).
2013-05-21 11:14 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Champion
Originally posted by kaburns1214

Couple of questions:

3. Is the coach or either of the masters programs tri focused? (I ask this because while glide and low stroke count are good for pool swimming where you have clean water in front of you and little to no distrubances from outside forces, tri and OWS is a bit different. In OWS the first part of your swim that you loose is the very front part of your stroke (essentially the glide). I find it important to focus OWS swimmers on getting their arm steep and deep early (also known as early veritical forearm) so they can maximze the part of their stroke that wont get interefered with).

A-race is HIM. I probably can swim 2200 w/o stopping - I did a 1700m timed swim this past weekend & could have kept swimming. Not worried so much about that.

Slow - 2:30+/100m...he's trying to get me in the 2:00/100m range (which is slow, but better)

The coach & the masters program are generally tri-focused. (I'm also doing supervised (but not coached) OWS once a week with the same folks that my coach works with, but that -- right now -- is mainly to get over my OWS anxiety vs. any sort of speed.) I can definitely tell I lose my glide @ OWS...especially in the current.
2013-05-21 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

[QUOTE

Having a complete mental breakdown a few weeks before a big race is fairly normal. Three weeks beofre IMLP in 2011 I got home from an unhappy long run and pretty much paid down on the living room floor and cried for a while. Training can get over whelming and taering can give your mind way too much time to think about all the little things that really aren't that important. Being on a bit of an emotional roller coaster pre-race is part and parcel of the HIM / IM experience.

You're going to be great, Michele. I know it seems daunting, but you just take one leg at a time. Do the best swim you can do. Move on. Do the best bike you can do. Move on. Do the best run you can do. I think fears start to crop up the closer you get to a race. It's normal! Your training looks super solid. You've done the work. A couple more weeks and you get to enjoy the rewards (as Kelly says, racing is the icing on the cake!). Plus, it will be fun

2013-05-21 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Couple of questions:

A-race is HIM. I probably can swim 2200 w/o stopping - I did a 1700m timed swim this past weekend & could have kept swimming. Not worried so much about that.

Slow - 2:30+/100m...he's trying to get me in the 2:00/100m range (which is slow, but better)

The coach & the masters program are generally tri-focused. (I'm also doing supervised (but not coached) OWS once a week with the same folks that my coach works with, but that -- right now -- is mainly to get over my OWS anxiety vs. any sort of speed.) I can definitely tell I lose my glide @ OWS...especially in the current.

I'm curious as to why the coach has you focusing so much on glide. Has he said anything else about your body positioning in the water? Hips? Head? Are you looking at the bottom of the pool or the wall in front of you? Are your arms crossing over your midline?
2013-05-21 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Another fan of the family picture here! Quinn is so big now. My kids love it when I stop and kiss them or give them high fives. One time I skipped over my daughter but got the 3 boys. I just didn't see her. Boy was there hell to pay when I was done with the race. That will never happen again. LOL

I love the dude holding the food and Coors light in the last picture. Ha!
2013-05-21 11:33 AM

User image

Champion

I'm curious as to why the coach has you focusing so much on glide. Has he said anything else about your body positioning in the water? Hips? Head? Are you looking at the bottom of the pool or the wall in front of you? Are your arms crossing over your midline?

Basically he said that my position is good and my rotation is good. My arms generally don't cross unless I'm reaching too far. He believes the slowness of my swim comes from working too hard, causing me to be churning water vs. gliding through it. Plus with a distance to swim, he says it's all about efficiency. (He was 3rd out of the water in his AG at IMFL, so I trust what he's saying about that...)

I started lessons at 30+ strokes per 25m, so I was just flailing in the water. I think that's why he's focused on glide. And - when I do actually get in the low 20s - I manage to swim a little faster.
2013-05-21 12:02 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Basically he said that my position is good and my rotation is good. My arms generally don't cross unless I'm reaching too far. He believes the slowness of my swim comes from working too hard, causing me to be churning water vs. gliding through it. Plus with a distance to swim, he says it's all about efficiency. (He was 3rd out of the water in his AG at IMFL, so I trust what he's saying about that...)

I started lessons at 30+ strokes per 25m, so I was just flailing in the water. I think that's why he's focused on glide. And - when I do actually get in the low 20s - I manage to swim a little faster.

Has he looked at you under water. If you don't have a body position issue and still are propelling through the water well, I'm almost willing to bet that you are dropping your elbow hard and essentially "leading" your stroke with your elbow so that your actual pull distance is very, very small.

This is a really good pciture of what "early vertical forearm" looks like.

(early vertical forearm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
early vertical forearm.jpg (27KB - 8 downloads)
2013-05-21 12:07 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

[QUOTE

Ha. You sound like me. You'll be fine. I know you can do the distance. Just stay calm and view the swim as a warm up to your bike and run. Damn near pooped my pants when I walked over Lake Woodlands bridge and went "How far do those buoys go?" on Saturday. If I can swim 2.4, you have 1.2 in you somewhere.

2013-05-21 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Larkin great race and report.

Scott love the things you learned and the pictures are awesome. I have a few race pictures where I'm over heated and I can see that same look in your eyes where you want to drop but won't let yourself. Again outstanding job.
2013-05-21 1:24 PM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Haymarket, VA
My time in T1 this race was much better than my time in T1 the previous, and a lot of that was due to not struggling with drying off enough to get my top on. The drag difference was very noticeable to me during the swim, so I definitely need to start training in my tri top. To keep from wearing out a set too quickly from the constant pool workouts I'm going to pick up a couple more sets. Any suggestions on where to get reasonably priced ones? I had completely forgotten about it until the last minute so went to my local tri store to get this set, but I have to imagine there's quite a bit of a markup and I can come out under $140 if I do it online. I know of swimoutlet, clever training, and obviously there is Amazon, but what other sites would y'all suggest?
2013-05-21 1:39 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by mleech77

My time in T1 this race was much better than my time in T1 the previous, and a lot of that was due to not struggling with drying off enough to get my top on. The drag difference was very noticeable to me during the swim, so I definitely need to start training in my tri top. To keep from wearing out a set too quickly from the constant pool workouts I'm going to pick up a couple more sets. Any suggestions on where to get reasonably priced ones? I had completely forgotten about it until the last minute so went to my local tri store to get this set, but I have to imagine there's quite a bit of a markup and I can come out under $140 if I do it online. I know of swimoutlet, clever training, and obviously there is Amazon, but what other sites would y'all suggest?

This is what a swim skin is for. You wear the swim skin over your tri top to reduce drag and then its easy to remove the swim skin coming out of the water and into T1. The entire benefit of a swim skin is to reduce the drag of a tri suit (and particularly tri suit pokcets). You can pick up and re-use a swim skin for cheaper than multiple tri tops and you really won't need to practice with it in the pool.

I like Kiwami -- this one can be used throughout the entire race or you can use it as swim skin:

http://www.kiwamitri.com/shop/trinamik-trisuit_1-7.html
2013-05-21 1:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Double post

Edited by kaburns1214 2013-05-21 1:40 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86