Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2008-03-24 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1283338

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Subject: RE: owl_girl's Group --- FULL!
I actually don't know much about leg cramping in the pool, but I do get some wicked foot cramps. They tend to happen when I'm wearing fins though. My first guess is that it may be coming from trying to keep your toes pointed. While it's good swimming form, it's not a position that we typically keep our feet/calves in for extended periods of time. Like everyone else has already said, try lots of stretching and make sure you're hydrated. Another thought is that when you're resting in between sets, put the bottom of your toes on the pool wall and stretch out each calf muscle.

mac3116 - 2008-03-20 11:27 AM

i got on for ya guys . anyone know what would make me start cramping on the swim ? mostly in the calf both of them and in the hamstring . i can feel it coming on when i get over 1600m . today i had got a couple bad ones in the left calf like a full on charlie horse . what would cause it ? and this is not the first time it has happened but only at longer distances

2008-03-24 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1287619

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
How was your ride Nicole? I ended up on a 36 mile ride on Saturday after my swim workout. I figured that we were just doing the usual 12 miles around Lacamas Lake (near the gym), but we kept going straight. It turned out to be a very hilly ride that just about did me in. 3 hours and 9 minutes for only 36 miles! It felt good to finish the ride, but then got me thinking how in the world I will ever be able to make the cutoff time for a hilly half-IM or IM event...

MDHillSlug - 2008-03-22 5:34 PM

I've got a 30+ mile bike ride planned for tomorrow. I'm gonna try to complete the loop I tried to do last week. It's supposed to be sunny with temps in the high 30's to middle 40's and a light breeze. Not too bad for March.

After this weekend I'll cut back a bit on the riding and start doing bricks on the weekends so that I'll be ready for my triathlon in 4 weeks.

2008-03-24 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1287533

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Nice jobs on your runs Bao! I'm glad that you're feeling better!

Definitely no more cotton socks. I also find that cotton socks don't hold their shape as well as synthetic and I really like having that stretchy feeling where my feet are "cradled." What I REALLY need are some antimicrobial bike socks. After a ride last week I went into the locker room at the gym to shower and change into my street clothes. The minute I took off my shoes everyone was like "oh GAWD, what is that smell?!?!?" None of my other shoes smell, just my bike shoes!

Baowolf - 2008-03-22 4:14 PM

And ya this was the first time ever that I did 16 miles. My last Saturday runs have been like 13 13 10 (race) 13 14 16. I have changed my route to one that is pretty challenging for me. I start at my house and head up the main road that heads up the mountain. So I start at like 4500 feet and today probably got to 5500 feet or so. Granted it is not just up once, its up and down and up some more and down some more and up up up.
2008-03-24 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1092958

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Hi Everyone!!!

I'm in sunny San Diego again!!!  I brought my tri bike down here!!!  Went on a quick ride this morning.  I didn't even push it and I was FLYING!!!!!  I felt like I could easily do a few hours at that pace.  That is good news this far out from my half-iron!  I'll take it on some more rides out here in the next few days.

How is everyone else doing?  Sarah, that ride sounds like it was brutal!  How are you feeling today?  I'll catch up with all of you soon!  Cheers!

2008-03-24 3:47 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
I like the bike, Roni!!!!
2008-03-24 3:47 PM
in reply to: #1290057

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
sdbryant - 2008-03-24 3:04 PM How was your ride Nicole? I ended up on a 36 mile ride on Saturday after my swim workout. I figured that we were just doing the usual 12 miles around Lacamas Lake (near the gym), but we kept going straight. It turned out to be a very hilly ride that just about did me in. 3 hours and 9 minutes for only 36 miles! It felt good to finish the ride, but then got me thinking how in the world I will ever be able to make the cutoff time for a hilly half-IM or IM event...

I've got a 30+ mile bike ride planned for tomorrow. I'm gonna try to complete the loop I tried to do last week. It's supposed to be sunny with temps in the high 30's to middle 40's and a light breeze. Not too bad for March.

After this weekend I'll cut back a bit on the riding and start doing bricks on the weekends so that I'll be ready for my triathlon in 4 weeks.

I rode 33 miles yesterday. I finished the route I got dead ended on last weekend. However, it really whupped my behind! By 20 miles I was pooped and with 4 to go I was near agony just wanting to get it over! I'm ot sure why it was so hard.   My swim this morning was also hard, probably because my legs are tired from yesterday.

2008-03-24 9:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
hey roni like the neww ride !! you know i got lucky when i got mine they had the fit guy right there . man it took what seemed like all day . i wanted to get out on the thing but it was well worth it getting it done .

tracy girl so san diego sounds like things are going good . i wish i was back out there and not stuck here in this old folks town. but someday i will be i would like to be back out that way in the next year . the way things look right now im gonna try and be there for the AFC 1/2 marathon on 08/13/08 just cause kane wants to run a home town 1/2 well not really but the RNR VA 1/2 is during school and would be hard for him to get away
2008-03-24 11:30 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

OK.  I forgot to mention that the BIG California 70.3 is on Saturday in Oceanside.  (Did you spend time at Pendleton, Shaun?)  I've watched it a few times.  I really wanted to do it this year but the timing was not right.  (I got married instead.  Sheesh!  The priorities! )  Anyway, Brett and I are going to hit the expo on Friday and see what kind of new and exciting things we can get our hands on!  I'm sure I will find all sorts of things that I can't live without!

I'll be running on the treadmill on Tuesday.  My shins are still unhappy.  How is everyone's training?

2008-03-24 11:31 PM
in reply to: #1289642

User image

Elite
far northern CA

MDHillSlug - 2008-03-24 9:53 AM Nice bike! You might want to practice clipping and unclipping while riding on the trainer stand. It takes a while for it to become second nature.

Spinning class works good, too.

2008-03-24 11:33 PM
in reply to: #1287619

User image

Elite
far northern CA

The bricks sound like a great plan.  Remember to do some of them with a bike focus and some of them with a run focus.  Your running has been, simply, fantastic lately!

2008-03-24 11:36 PM
in reply to: #1287533

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Baowolf - 2008-03-22 4:14 PM YAY my first week of mostly healthy, mostly following the plan for what I wanted to get done week in 2 months. I did the runs I wanted, 4.5, 4, 9 and 16 but wimped out on the bike as I am still not quite 100 percent. With the half mary as my next event I decided to stay run heavy and sacrafice bike time this week. Maybe I will hit a quick 25 miles tomorrow. And ya this was the first time ever that I did 16 miles. My last Saturday runs have been like 13 13 10 (race) 13 14 16. I have changed my route to one that is pretty challenging for me. I start at my house and head up the main road that heads up the mountain. So I start at like 4500 feet and today probably got to 5500 feet or so. Granted it is not just up once, its up and down and up some more and down some more and up up up. The run was very pretty as we live in high desert area, but with all the snow this winter there is water everywhere with geese and ducks etc. in every puddle. This was the first Saturday in 2 months where it wasn't raining, snowing, or down right ugly out and the temp was 60 F. I am getting used to and liking my camelback for water. It is a 45 oz, fanny pack style with a tube for water. I put about 32 oz in it today and finished the water within a half mile of finishing. I also put food in there as it took me like 2:37 to finish. Need to go for that 3rd granolla bar next run. Anyway just checking in. Oh and those cotton socks are not your friend. Too many blisters from the long runs. I finally got some thin socks that keep moisture away from your feet, much much better. I have a blister under my blister under my blister at this point. It will be nice to have real skin there again. Oh well off for now have a Happy Easter.

Cotton socks are aweful!  I have found a brand (name escapes me) which have a double layer.  I have never ever gotten a blister in those socks.  OH!  I just remembered!  They are called "Wright Socks".  I love them!

2008-03-24 11:39 PM
in reply to: #1290071

User image

Elite
far northern CA

sdbryant - 2008-03-24 12:08 PM Nice jobs on your runs Bao! I'm glad that you're feeling better! Definitely no more cotton socks. I also find that cotton socks don't hold their shape as well as synthetic and I really like having that stretchy feeling where my feet are "cradled." What I REALLY need are some antimicrobial bike socks. After a ride last week I went into the locker room at the gym to shower and change into my street clothes. The minute I took off my shoes everyone was like "oh GAWD, what is that smell?!?!?" None of my other shoes smell, just my bike shoes!

LMAO!!!!!

Edited by owl_girl 2008-03-24 11:47 PM
2008-03-25 6:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
Pendleton yep i spent 6 years there . after i got back froma year in Japan . i was looking at the race maps the bike takes them through the Del Mar gate ( that is where my unit was ) right down there on the beach. i think the run will be nice the bike might not be so fun not to much to see out there on the base it is so spread out . but there not letting anyone on the bace except if you are in the race .
2008-03-25 9:56 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I need some help. I keep reading about the importance of recovery weeks and I feel my body could use that right now, but I don't know how to dial back the intensity. I'm always pushing faster or longer. Unless I've got someone to pace me slower I don't know how to do it for myself. I've always done my own workouts based on what I think my body can do and by what I perceive I need to do to be "ready" for my races. I've never tried to follow a training plan. Is that what I need to do? None of them seem to fit for my current training base or for the time I have available for training. Is recovery that important?

Edited by MDHillSlug 2008-03-25 10:28 AM
2008-03-25 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1289642

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

MDHillSlug - 2008-03-24 10:53 AM Nice bike! You might want to practice clipping and unclipping while riding on the trainer stand. It takes a while for it to become second nature.

Thanks Nicole. Yeah I practiced clipping unclipping while on the trainer before riding outside. The thing is I don't have any problems clipping in and usually unclipping isn't a problem, but then twice I have come to a stop and fallen over. I thought I was doing the same twist to get out as any other time but they just didn't release in time. Oh well, really more embarrasing than anything. I was going very slow or stopped so just a few bruises. Love the bike though! I haven't tried to go very fast yet as I'm still getting used to the feel and everything else, but even at a very casual pace it's almost as fast as my hybrid is when I push it. Lovin the aerobars too

2008-03-25 10:07 AM
in reply to: #1291198

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
owl_girl - 2008-03-24 10:30 PM

OK.  I forgot to mention that the BIG California 70.3 is on Saturday in Oceanside.  (Did you spend time at Pendleton, Shaun?)  I've watched it a few times.  I really wanted to do it this year but the timing was not right.  (I got married instead.  Sheesh!  The priorities! )  Anyway, Brett and I are going to hit the expo on Friday and see what kind of new and exciting things we can get our hands on!  I'm sure I will find all sorts of things that I can't live without!

Sounds like a blast Tracey! You'll have to tell us all about it! There always seems to be more tri toys we must have. I really don't think I knew what I was getting into when I got into this sport, but it sure is fun!

2008-03-25 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1291100

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

mac3116 - 2008-03-24 8:28 PM hey roni like the neww ride !! you know i got lucky when i got mine they had the fit guy right there . man it took what seemed like all day . i wanted to get out on the thing but it was well worth it getting it done . 

The fitting sounds great Shaun. I'm just hoping I can find someone in Salem to do it because the guy here wasn't helpful at all. It's a fairly small town and most everyone who does bike around here rides MTB. They have a couple road bikes at the shop, but no tri bikes. At least he was honest though he told us he had no idea how to fit a tri bike.

2008-03-25 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1291783

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
roni_runnw - 2008-03-25 10:59 AM

MDHillSlug - 2008-03-24 10:53 AM Nice bike! You might want to practice clipping and unclipping while riding on the trainer stand. It takes a while for it to become second nature.

Thanks Nicole. Yeah I practiced clipping unclipping while on the trainer before riding outside. The thing is I don't have any problems clipping in and usually unclipping isn't a problem, but then twice I have come to a stop and fallen over. I thought I was doing the same twist to get out as any other time but they just didn't release in time. Oh well, really more embarrasing than anything. I was going very slow or stopped so just a few bruises. Love the bike though! I haven't tried to go very fast yet as I'm still getting used to the feel and everything else, but even at a very casual pace it's almost as fast as my hybrid is when I push it. Lovin the aerobars too

Yeah, the real thing can be harder than practice. One key is to anticipate your stops and clip out early. What kind of pedals are you using? Do they have adjustable release tension? Does it need to be made easier?

I haven't yet gotten used to the aerobars on the race bike. I was quite comfortable with them on the Sequoia but haven't had much practice with them on the Allez. My last few rides were pretty windy and didn't offer nice lengths of road without climbs or turns. The route I have planned for this weekend should be just the thing for aerobar practice.

2008-03-25 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Roni, I fell just last night!!! I haven't tipped over since last summer, but there I was in the parking lot after a group ride. I had ridden to the meeting point from my house and everyone else had driven, so they were loading their bikes into their cars and I was just standing around chitchatting. Looking cool and nonchalant of course. I was like, "okay, I guess I better get going home since it's getting dark" and I looked over my left shoulder to see if there were any cars coming. My left foot was clipped in (but I had forgotten) and bam! I went over right in front of everyone. For no real reason. The worst part isn't the banged up knee --- it's how embarassing it is when they all run over to you trying to help and see if you're okay!

Nicole had good advice to see if they have adjustable tension. If not, they will likely loosen up over time. Just be sure to practice unclipping on BOTH sides. It sucks to only be able unclip on the uphill side of a banked road...
2008-03-25 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1291366

User image

Elite
far northern CA

mac3116 - 2008-03-25 4:46 AM Pendleton yep i spent 6 years there . after i got back froma year in Japan . i was looking at the race maps the bike takes them through the Del Mar gate ( that is where my unit was ) right down there on the beach. i think the run will be nice the bike might not be so fun not to much to see out there on the base it is so spread out . but there not letting anyone on the bace except if you are in the race .

All of the fun stuff to see is at Oceanside Harbor.  I've watched some of them scream down the hill, past the tower, into the harbor and crash and burn on the corner right at the end of the race.  It's an ugly down hill.

My cousin works on the base.  He has offered to take me running along the beach out there.  He and his girlfriend do that every weekend.  One of these times I need to go with them.

2008-03-25 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1291770

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

MDHillSlug - 2008-03-25 8:56 AM I need some help. I keep reading about the importance of recovery weeks and I feel my body could use that right now, but I don't know how to dial back the intensity. I'm always pushing faster or longer. Unless I've got someone to pace me slower I don't know how to do it for myself. I've always done my own workouts based on what I think my body can do and by what I perceive I need to do to be "ready" for my races. I've never tried to follow a training plan. Is that what I need to do? None of them seem to fit for my current training base or for the time I have available for training. Is recovery that important?

Have you looked at the training plans on this site, Nicole? They have some really good ones and rest weeks are worked into it every 4th week or so. On the training plans I've done the rest weeks are about 1/2 time/distance of the regular weeks. So, you could also just try cutting your normal workout in half for a week. I'm sure some of the more experienced members will have more advice for you, this is just my 2 cents. I do think recovery weeks are important though to avoid overtraining.

2008-03-25 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1291770

User image

Elite
far northern CA

MDHillSlug - 2008-03-25 7:56 AM I need some help. I keep reading about the importance of recovery weeks and I feel my body could use that right now, but I don't know how to dial back the intensity. I'm always pushing faster or longer. Unless I've got someone to pace me slower I don't know how to do it for myself. I've always done my own workouts based on what I think my body can do and by what I perceive I need to do to be "ready" for my races. I've never tried to follow a training plan. Is that what I need to do? None of them seem to fit for my current training base or for the time I have available for training. Is recovery that important?

Yes, you need recovery weeks.  That does not mean that you can be a couch potato, though!  Push like you have been doing for three weeks.  On week four, take it easy.  Do half your distances or replace a hard workout with an easier one of the same duration.  Go running with your daughter.  After your recovery week, repeat the third week.  You will feel stronger!

Recovery is very important!  It sounds like you need to schedule recovery weeks for yourself.  Some of us have to take them due to work or family commitments.  Use those commitments to your advantage.  Your family will love it!

I hope this helps, Nicole.  You have been working really hard, and it shows!

2008-03-25 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
My pedals are Look keo, and they do have adjustable tension. I have them as loose as they can go, but I'm glad to hear they will loosen a little more with use. I think Nicole has it right though, I need to unclip ahead of time because on the two occasions I fell I think I just waited too long to unclip and then didn't have time. Also, I can see the wisdom of unclipping both. Thanks for the advice! Thanks, also, for sharing your falling story Sarah. Your right the worst thing is the embarrasment. The first time I got lucky no one was around, the next time it was in the parking lot by my car at a very busy intersection with a whole line of cars sitting there. I got up really quick and got out of there. I can imagine how ridiculous it must look to see someone just fall over on a stopped bike
2008-03-25 11:31 AM
in reply to: #1291805

User image

Elite
far northern CA
roni_runnw - 2008-03-25 8:07 AM
owl_girl - 2008-03-24 10:30 PM

Sounds like a blast Tracey! You'll have to tell us all about it! There always seems to be more tri toys we must have. I really don't think I knew what I was getting into when I got into this sport, but it sure is fun!

Didn't you know that triathlon (or should it be quadathlon) was specificly made for women?  The fourth sport is SHOPPING!!!!

2008-03-25 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1292106

User image

Elite
far northern CA

roni_runnw - 2008-03-25 9:31 AM My pedals are Look keo, and they do have adjustable tension. I have them as loose as they can go, but I'm glad to hear they will loosen a little more with use. I think Nicole has it right though, I need to unclip ahead of time because on the two occasions I fell I think I just waited too long to unclip and then didn't have time. Also, I can see the wisdom of unclipping both. Thanks for the advice! Thanks, also, for sharing your falling story Sarah. Your right the worst thing is the embarrasment. The first time I got lucky no one was around, the next time it was in the parking lot by my car at a very busy intersection with a whole line of cars sitting there. I got up really quick and got out of there. I can imagine how ridiculous it must look to see someone just fall over on a stopped bike

Just keep practicing.  You'll get the hang of it.  I typically unclip one pedal about 100 feet before I anticipate coming to a complete stop.  You will end up using the clipped in pedal more during that short period of time so make sure you have a nice, even pedal stroke.  Practice a nice, even pedal stroke while on your trainer.  Put a chair next to your bike.  Put an unclipped foot on the chair and pedal with the clipped in foot.  Listen to the sound your tire makes.  Is it loud when you are pushing down on the pedal and quiet during other parts of a full revolution?  If so, you need to work on other parts of your pedal stroke.  Before long, you will have a nice flow to your pedal stroke.

BTW.  My husband fell over the other day while trying to avoid a dog at a road crossing with cars coming.  He chose to fall over rather than hit the dog or get hit by a car.  It happens to everyone.  Just make sure you have a good story!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Group --- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 40