BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-11-09 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3896484

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
fattyfatfat - 2011-11-09 4:21 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-11-09 6:42 PM

Ok, Queenie of phantom races and secrets, spill the drill.

forget the race.  lunch is gonna be AWESOME on the way to the race(s). 

there, fixed that for ya!

2011-11-09 7:17 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
our lunch was GREAT....I know the drill.......but I don't know the secret(s).  HELLO?!?!
2011-11-09 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3895322

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
ashort33 - 2011-11-09 10:25 AM The SSMinnow is out of pocket today, so here is the Weekly Wednesday question:

BooYah!  The weekend is almost here!  Who's racing?

If you're not racing, what do you consider your key swim / bike / run workouts during training? 

No races here.  For the bike I think going long (4-5 hours) helped me a lot this past summer and I plan to do a lot more of that next year once I get outside.   For the run, getting out frequently is the key and that means keeping almost all of my running at a fairly easy pace.   The swim??  I still haven't figured out the key to the swim, but I started my once a week lessons again yesterday.

Kim: Waiting to hear what drill your coach has you doing for 6000 yards.   First time I've heard of that kind of approach.

2011-11-09 9:17 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Okay gang, I will post the drill, but pleeeeeeeassssse remember that MY swim inefficiencies may be totally different, opposite, etc from what any of you need to worry about.  Juliette is my "pro" and she had me swim a few lengths...said she wished she had set us up for video because in her words, it could be amazing the changes that are going to occur.   Encouraging to me, because had she said, well, you look good, you just need to do x, y or z.  I would have cried and thrown my goggles at her.  well not really...but you know...it's been a frustrating road for me with swimming.

I'm just going to paste part of what I wrote to Steve to tell him how the lesson went.

So the lesson was great, we worked on body position...I was holding my neck way too tense.  Also, she is going to break my catch up swimming style if it kills me.  Which means doing this 3 second drill for the next two weeks...7000 yards minimum and no lap swimming...the three second drill is three seconds with front arm fully extended but relaxed and recovery arm resting on my side (and very relaxed) and then both arms start moving simultaneously.  I focus on keeping high elbow and really catching the water and then goes to resting on side position while the other arm enters at the railroad track position, reach really forward with new arm, count to three and repeat with the other side.

This was super hard for me to do, but by the end, I was self correcting myself and she was super pleased.  She said I am going to be fine, I just need to go really slow and concentrate on this one drill.  Next will probably be the one arm drill which we worked on, to focus on the pull/high elbow but slowly.  She was going to wait until next time to incorporate this drill because she said my muscle memory is ingrained with catch up swimming style.

So, here's the thing.  I was taught the catch up drill by the TI clinic, and it was helpful for me to learn to rotate all the way up for a breath.  But due to not only poor body position and tension in my neck/arms/arching my back, etc, I would sink and create tons of drag and couldn't keep the elbows high, because I was sinking...arrrrgh.

Dan-the approach of not allowing me to do freestyle until I perfect this one drill is because I will be less likely to revert to all of my old habits...she wants to create new muscle memory one step at a time.  This approach really makes sense to me...as all of the other teachers I have had have given me too many things to do at once.  Or I have not done their drills correctly because of the poor timing which created too much drag.  oh and my poor body position.  i didn't know my neck was tense!  geesh. 

This drill is easy enough to repeat and takes away having to breathe (i just roll to my side for a breath when I need to) because right now, breathing is a whole other problem (she said and it made me laugh).  I really like her...she thinks bilateral breathing is a must if I want to do this into my 30's.  Don't YOU LOVE THAT!  Where's the tip jar!? 

And since I am not racing triathlon any time soon, we have the luxury of 3-4x/week for the next two weeks of just 30 minutes of one drill. 

So that's it.  And during the drill, I can also focus also on not crossing the midline since everything is happening quite slowly (it's been a BIG problem that I know I have but have been unable to fix). 

2011-11-09 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
ashort33 - 2011-11-09 5:25 AM The SSMinnow is out of pocket today, so here is the Weekly Wednesday question:

If you're not racing, what do you consider your key swim / bike / run workouts during training? 

I am!!!  Kassidy's Army 5K race.  Fun race/Charity Race.  Kassidy has incurable brain tumor, and the money is going towards the medical bills that will slow down the tumor. She's only 16 years old and have a full life ahead of her.  Her mom is a triathlete, so that's how I knew of her.  

My plan is to finish the race WITHOUT WALKING!! So far I've been doing really well with running with a lot less walking, so it's helpful, and my speed shows.  

I've done two Hot Yoga.  First time was a little bit shocking, but I went to a bit harder class. Left after 30 minutes.  Second time, I stuck with it for 90 minutes, and I was SWEATING BUCKETS, it's so sick, but in a way it's pleasing because I rarely sweat "that" much.   Will be activating my Groupon after I get back from NJ.  There's no way I can fit 20 Yogas within just 5 weeks. (You need to use up the 20 classes within two months...that's the small print). 

On the other hand, I'm been seriously considering of doing a HIM next year...I just kind of don't want to do it myself, so I'm hoping to get one or two local friends to train/go with.

Good luck to all other racers, and if you're not...enjoy the weekend!!  It's gonna get super crazy for 11/11/11 in Las Vegas with all the Wedding Chapels...*sigh* :-)

2011-11-10 12:23 AM
in reply to: #3896649

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
kt65 - 2011-11-10 12:17 AM

Okay gang, I will post the drill, but pleeeeeeeassssse remember that MY swim inefficiencies may be totally different, opposite, etc from what any of you need to worry about.  Juliette is my "pro" and she had me swim a few lengths...said she wished she had set us up for video because in her words, it could be amazing the changes that are going to occur.   Encouraging to me, because had she said, well, you look good, you just need to do x, y or z.  I would have cried and thrown my goggles at her.  well not really...but you know...it's been a frustrating road for me with swimming.

I'm just going to paste part of what I wrote to Steve to tell him how the lesson went.

So the lesson was great, we worked on body position...I was holding my neck way too tense.  Also, she is going to break my catch up swimming style if it kills me.  Which means doing this 3 second drill for the next two weeks...7000 yards minimum and no lap swimming...the three second drill is three seconds with front arm fully extended but relaxed and recovery arm resting on my side (and very relaxed) and then both arms start moving simultaneously.  I focus on keeping high elbow and really catching the water and then goes to resting on side position while the other arm enters at the railroad track position, reach really forward with new arm, count to three and repeat with the other side.

This was super hard for me to do, but by the end, I was self correcting myself and she was super pleased.  She said I am going to be fine, I just need to go really slow and concentrate on this one drill.  Next will probably be the one arm drill which we worked on, to focus on the pull/high elbow but slowly.  She was going to wait until next time to incorporate this drill because she said my muscle memory is ingrained with catch up swimming style.

So, here's the thing.  I was taught the catch up drill by the TI clinic, and it was helpful for me to learn to rotate all the way up for a breath.  But due to not only poor body position and tension in my neck/arms/arching my back, etc, I would sink and create tons of drag and couldn't keep the elbows high, because I was sinking...arrrrgh.

Dan-the approach of not allowing me to do freestyle until I perfect this one drill is because I will be less likely to revert to all of my old habits...she wants to create new muscle memory one step at a time.  This approach really makes sense to me...as all of the other teachers I have had have given me too many things to do at once.  Or I have not done their drills correctly because of the poor timing which created too much drag.  oh and my poor body position.  i didn't know my neck was tense!  geesh. 

This drill is easy enough to repeat and takes away having to breathe (i just roll to my side for a breath when I need to) because right now, breathing is a whole other problem (she said and it made me laugh).  I really like her...she thinks bilateral breathing is a must if I want to do this into my 30's.  Don't YOU LOVE THAT!  Where's the tip jar!? 

And since I am not racing triathlon any time soon, we have the luxury of 3-4x/week for the next two weeks of just 30 minutes of one drill. 

So that's it.  And during the drill, I can also focus also on not crossing the midline since everything is happening quite slowly (it's been a BIG problem that I know I have but have been unable to fix). 

Interesting.  Sounds like swimsmooth's 6-1-6 drill (6 kicks while on your left side, 1 stroke, quick breath after the stroke, 6 kicks while on your right side, 1 stroke, quick breath, etc).  In my lesson yesterday told me to spend lots of time kicking on my left side and doing 6-4-6 - that always takes me back to the left side, allows me to practice a good catch and recovery.  The breath is done after the stroke while you're kicking on your side.   It is all very relaxed, unlike my normal attempts at swimming/breathing - when everything, not just my neck, quickly gets all tensed up.   

I get the muscle memory approach and think it is an interesting one.  Let us know how it all turns out and what comes next in your learning sequence.   

2011-11-10 6:16 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
ashort33 - 2011-11-09 8:25 AM The SSMinnow is out of pocket today, so here is the Weekly Wednesday question:

No racing here.  Not til the New Year unless I do a local Turkey Trot.  I also believe in the power of intervals. It's a love/hate relationship though. 

Good luck, Roni, Rachel, DJ, and Jayne! 

Kim- glad to hear things are off to a great start with the new swim coach. 

Great job with the weight loss, Andy. I participated and came in second in a BL program at my work in '09.  I think they are fantastic.

2011-11-10 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3896444

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
SSMinnow - 2011-11-09 5:45 PM

What prompted it?

The fit of my clothes and the mirror   seriously I knew I needed to get it back under control...

how have you done it?

Training and reducing calories.  I will say that for me the absolute best weight loss exercise is cycling.  I need to do more of it still...

2011-11-10 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3896985

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
ashort33 - 2011-11-10 6:38 AM

What prompted it?

The fit of my clothes and the mirror   seriously I knew I needed to get it back under control...

how have you done it?

Training and reducing calories.  I will say that for me the absolute best weight loss exercise is cycling.  I need to do more of it still...

This is interesting..what about cycling do you think makes it so beneficial?
2011-11-10 9:39 AM

User image

ashort33 - 2011-11-09 8:25 AM The SSMinnow is out of pocket today, so here is the Weekly Wednesday question:

No racing for me other than racing from one football game to the next (boys have been rained out two weeks in a row so making those up, plus season ending tournament games,  and the Sr game for Spencer).

Key workouts - for me, gettting them all in. 

Favorite - swim workout with sets @ race pace....love to push it in the pool.

2011-11-10 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3896027

User image

ashort33 - 2011-11-09 1:52 PM
TrevorC - 2011-11-09 12:35 PM
ashort33 - 2011-11-09 8:46 AM
ashort33 - 2011-11-09 7:25 AM The SSMinnow is out of pocket today, so here is the Weekly Wednesday question:

Responding to my own post -

My first stand alone 10K - American Heroes Veterans Weekend Run...  and then off to final weigh-in for the Biggest Loser contest I have been in for the last 12 weeks... 

Had you mentioned that before? IUf you did I missed it. Anyhow, how did it go???

Outside shot at winning the thing, better shot at top 3 and a bit of cash...  According to my scales I am down 40lbs or 15+% bw through 11 weeks and I am bound to drop one or two more lbs this week... Not sure how it will play out as I was 10lbs different between my scales and the contest scales - I am sure that the 2qts+ of water I shotgunned before stepping on the contest scales that evening played into that   I weighed myself the next morning...

BTW I do have a PSA for the group:  Drinking beer / eating out / not working out for months on end = big time weight gain...

That's awesome Andy!

2011-11-10 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3894027

User image

gdale - 2011-11-08 10:53 AM
Tobey91 - 2011-11-07 5:07 PM

I want to thank this MG for all the support and assistance over the past couple years.  It is amazing to think I went from being about 35 lbs heavier than I am now and being nervous about doing a sprint tri to having completed my first IM on Sat.  And the kind, supportive (and sometimes necessarily direct) advice, encouragement and wisdom from this group was a major factor in getting me there.  So, THANK YOU.   It was inspiring to know that everyone was following me on Saturday and encouraging me along.

RR ready: 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=402745

(Have no idea about how to change it into a link.)

John (Fatty) was still catching at the finish when I got there, and he caught me.  John grabbed Linda (Havin’fun) who was also volunteering at the time, and I got to meet her and chat with her for the first time.  Really nice.  Such a treat to see John at the finish and meet Linda there as well.

Didn't want this to get lost in the shuffle with all the IMFL 2012 talk.  Awsome job William!

Here is the link...

I have tried posting my comments on Williams IMFL race report 3 times.  Could it be I was so take by him at the finish that my hands get sweaty each time I try to type?   Tongue out

2011-11-10 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3897029

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
swbkrun - 2011-11-10 8:59 AM
ashort33 - 2011-11-10 6:38 AM

What prompted it?

how have you done it?

This is interesting..what about cycling do you think makes it so beneficial?

I think it is due to the lack of impact.  I can cycle much longer than I can run or swim.  While my caloric burn rate running maybe 10-15% higher than cycling, I can cycle 2-3 times as long so my total calorie burn ends up being much higher.  My long ride each week sees me directly burn 3k+ calories (YMMV).  On a psychological basis, cycling seems to be more rewarding - more speed, more scenery, wind in the face, etc. 

2011-11-10 9:58 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
anybody racing in December in San fran? North face Endurance challenge?
2011-11-10 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3897107

User image

Extreme Veteran
Havin'Fun - 2011-11-10 10:45 AM
gdale - 2011-11-08 10:53 AM
Tobey91 - 2011-11-07 5:07 PM

I want to thank this MG for all the support and assistance over the past couple years.  It is amazing to think I went from being about 35 lbs heavier than I am now and being nervous about doing a sprint tri to having completed my first IM on Sat.  And the kind, supportive (and sometimes necessarily direct) advice, encouragement and wisdom from this group was a major factor in getting me there.  So, THANK YOU.   It was inspiring to know that everyone was following me on Saturday and encouraging me along.

RR ready: 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=402745

(Have no idea about how to change it into a link.)

John (Fatty) was still catching at the finish when I got there, and he caught me.  John grabbed Linda (Havin’fun) who was also volunteering at the time, and I got to meet her and chat with her for the first time.  Really nice.  Such a treat to see John at the finish and meet Linda there as well.

Didn't want this to get lost in the shuffle with all the IMFL 2012 talk.  Awsome job William!

Here is the link...

I have tried posting my comments on Williams IMFL race report 3 times.  Could it be I was so take by him at the finish that my hands get sweaty each time I try to type?   Tongue out

(Thanks for the ego boost -- That would be the first time I had that effect on a woman.)

2011-11-10 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3897093

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Havin'Fun - 2011-11-10 9:39 AM

No racing for me other than racing from one football game to the next (boys have been rained out two weeks in a row so making those up, plus season ending tournament games,  and the Sr game for Spencer).

Key workouts - for me, gettting them all in. 

Favorite - swim workout with sets @ race pace....love to push it in the pool.

You fish types drive me crazy Yell!!!

2011-11-10 10:49 AM

User image

Champion

Serious Food Question ahead:

I am finalizing my Thanksgiving menu and want to know if anyone has a good vegetable recipe.  Sweet potatos are already on the list so I am looking for something else.  I always make the same brocolli dish and would love to test something new! 

2011-11-10 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3897145

User image

Elite
san francisco
TrevorC - 2011-11-10 7:58 AManybody racing in December in San fran? North face Endurance challenge?
Roni!
2011-11-10 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3897281

User image

Master
SSMinnow - 2011-11-10 8:49 AM

I am finalizing my Thanksgiving menu and want to know if anyone has a good vegetable recipe.  Sweet potatos are already on the list so I am looking for something else.  I always make the same brocolli dish and would love to test something new! 

Here is a recipe I have made at Thanksgsivng a few times. I don't aim to cook low-fat or overly healthy come Thanskgiving, so keep that in mind!! (forgive formatting from my ipdad). http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cauliflower-and-Brusse...
2011-11-10 11:04 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
SSMinnow - 2011-11-10 10:49 AM

Oven roasted cauliflower - just put the cut up raw cauliflower on a sheet pan and put in a hot (425deg) oven until it starts to carmelize (some brown-ish spots on it).  Sprinkle lightly with salt when it comes out.  You can add a bit of oil before putting it in the oven if you wish, but it is not necessary

Panko Broccoli - broccoli florets - blanch them for a couple of minutes.  Put in a bowl and add a bit of olive oil and toss.  Add some panko bread crumbs and toss again.  Put in the oven (350) until the panko starts to turn golden brown.  take out of the oven and put in a bowl.  Add some fresh grated parm and toss and serve....

I love both of these....

2011-11-10 11:12 AM

User image

SSMinnow - 2011-11-10 11:49 AM

We love green beans.  Not a casserole, but just fresh green beans with all sorts of different seasonings. 

BTW - it's a beautiful fall day here.  Temp is perfect, the leaves are changing and just a hint of wind.   Just got in a run (ran in just my running bra and shorts...and I'm sweating).    Beautiful day!

Have a great one peeps!

Edited by Havin'Fun 2011-11-10 11:40 AM

2011-11-10 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3897306

User image

kt65 - 2011-11-10 12:02 PM
TrevorC - 2011-11-10 7:58 AManybody racing in December in San fran? North face Endurance challenge?
Roni!

She is amazing!

2011-11-10 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3897326

User image

Champion
Havin'Fun - 2011-11-10 11:12 AM

We love green beans.  Not a casserole, but just fresh green beans with all sorts of different seasonings. 

BTW - it's a beautiful fall day here.  Temp is perfect, the leaves are changing and just a hint of wind.   Just got in a run (ran in just my running bra and shorts...and I'm sweating).    Beautiful day!

Have a great one peeps!

Are you trying to p$ss me off? Laughing Snowed 4" yesterday and is snowing again today.  I ran outside in the crazy weather with at least 4lbs of clothes on....grrrr!

Off to the pool to pretend I'm you or Kyla or Julia!

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-11-10 12:12 PM
2011-11-10 12:24 PM

User image

Master
ashort33 - 2011-11-09 5:25 AM The SSMinnow is out of pocket today, so here is the Weekly Wednesday question:

Always so late to the Wednesday party... No racing here. Key workouts? The ones that get done!! Ha! But the most beneficial ones to me, I think, are intervals on the bike or the run. They push me to the places I don't like and I feel like I come out of the other end stronger.

Good luck to everyone who is getting 'er done this weekend!! Have some awesome races and then hurry back here and tell us all about them so we can live vicariously through you!!

Me, I hope I can walk after Steve schools me on some hilly trails Sunday morning. They will be good for me!!! They always are!

2011-11-10 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3897434

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2011-11-10 10:12 AM
Havin'Fun - 2011-11-10 11:12 AM

Have a great one peeps!

Are you trying to p$ss me off? Laughing Snowed 4" yesterday and is snowing again today.  I ran outside in the crazy weather with at least 4lbs of clothes on....grrrr!

Off to the pool to pretend I'm you or Kyla or Julia!

Why is twin being so hard on Linda?  First the fish comment earlier, then no love for the green bean suggestion...and now bemoaning shorts and a sports bra *complete with sweat* in November.  C'mon you "Sconnie", buck up, the weather's only going to get worse.  Hey, nice run with 4 extra lbs! 

Good to choose those 3 to emulate in the pool! 

btw, to add to the green bean suggestion, last night I sprinkled a little bit of lemon zest on my sauteed (high heat) green beans with thinly sliced garlic and it was awesome!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298