General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2012-08-27 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4382616

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread

bill2059 - 2012-08-27 2:17 PM Training question - I am doing an HIM in 2 weeks leaving 8 weeks to the full. This is at the end of a recovery week so I will use that week to taper. I am wondering what I should do for recovery after the race, knowing that I do not want to give up too much training time during the final push before IMFL. I am following the BT Beginner Full training plan. Anyone have any insights?

I know why I won't do a HIM close to an IM.  There is always the potential of injury and long recovery.  I aggravated an old injury because I did a HIM last week-end.  I'm pretty sure I would be training normally if I didn't do it.  But they again everyone recovers and races differently.  Just be careful on coming back training.  Take the 1st week easy.  And by the 2nd week post race see how you feel.  You might end up needing 2 weeks recovery.

2012-08-28 12:37 AM
in reply to: #3589984

Okay, can any past participants speak to the issue of jelly fish in the water?  How big a problem are they, and how densely populated are they in the water?  How do you see them in time to avoid them, or is that impossible?
2012-08-28 5:52 AM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Last year there were a lot of jellyfish after we were in the deep waters, maybe 500 yards from shore. The ones I saw were spaced about 20 feet or so apart on average. I was a little surprised because. There are enough of them that you cannot try to avoid them so just try to put them out of your mind and try not to drag your feet and hopefully you won't touch them.
2012-08-28 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4383569

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Tri Fit - 2012-08-28 12:37 AM Okay, can any past participants speak to the issue of jelly fish in the water?  How big a problem are they, and how densely populated are they in the water?  How do you see them in time to avoid them, or is that impossible?
Done the race 5 times and probablyhave swum the venue another 10 times.  they are not an issue at all.  lat year i saw a few but they were not near us
2012-08-28 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4383627

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member

Blueraiderzone - 2012-08-28 5:52 AM Last year there were a lot of jellyfish after we were in the deep waters, maybe 500 yards from shore. The ones I saw were spaced about 20 feet or so apart on average. I was a little surprised because. There are enough of them that you cannot try to avoid them so just try to put them out of your mind and try not to drag your feet and hopefully you won't touch them.

I'm a back of pack kinda swimmer (until the pros lap me). Last year I came down on one of these jellyfish - I pushed down and only had contact with the "dome" and while it felt weird (leathery) there was no harm - this is not to say I ever want to touch the underside to find out what happens then. 

2012-08-28 10:05 AM

I did the ChesapeakeMan 140.6 last year. The swim is in the choptank river which has a ton of jelly fish in it. I layered up on the vasoline and still got stung. (i use a sleeveless wetsuit). It feels like you are grabbing seaweed and then it stings a bit. By mile 20 on the bike the sting was gone and all I had were some red lines on my arms where I got hit. By the time I got off the bike even the lines were gone. It doesnt hurt enough to worry about them. Although when you grab them it's enough to scare the snot out of you and get you out of rythm for a few seconds. I think vinnegar kills the sting. I filled up a hammer gel flask with vinnagar and put it in my bike bag but didnt even bother using it. The pain wasnt big enough to worry about it. (this was the first time I was ever stung by a jellyfish. It's nothing to worry about. Worry about nutrition, not jellyfish.

2012-08-28 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

THIS is a lot of Jelly Fish.  this was in Corpus Christi last year.  I did a 1.2 mile OWS race in a FULL wetsuit and got stung at least 40 times.  It was like swimming thru dodgeballs. these were alongside a dock at the pier but it was ridiculous.  It WILL NOT BE LIKE THIS at IMFL.  You might see one or 2 but seriously don't stress

2012-08-28 11:08 AM

User image

Expert

X2

I did see some last year but they were too deep to reach.  Of course my depth perception under water is not that good so I thought I was going to hit them.  Not a problem.

enjoy,

Duane

2012-08-28 11:35 AM

User image

has anyone tried the product "sea safe"? I found out last Dec in Jamaica that I'm allergic to jelly fish stings. I got stung on my side and was in horrible pain. Swelled really bad, I had trouble breathing, etc. Doctor had to be called onto the resort and I needed shots to calm it down. I'm wearing a sleeveless wet suit for IMFL and was going to try sea safe, unless someone can recommend something else. And I'm just going to pray I don't get stung on the face.

I still have the tentacle scars...which are actually pretty cool. :-)

2012-08-29 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Alright guys, I am in need of a serious pep talk.

IMFL is about 60 days away. Frankly, I don't know if I can make it. I am tired all the time and feel that my fitness has hit a plateau for the year, and that any training is not really going to help me get to my goal for the race.

I don't know if this is all mental, but I do know its physical as well, since my body just feels so sluggish lately. For instance, I tried a long run last night and it just did not happen (made it only 1/4 of the way through). I intend to try again this evening, but my spirits are pretty low at this point. It just does not seem....fun anymore.

There is no giving up, so taking a break is not an option. I am really looking for advice from those of you who have done a late season A race before and how you were able to get through the whole year in one piece.
2012-08-29 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4385752

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

15step - 2012-08-29 8:35 AM Alright guys, I am in need of a serious pep talk. IMFL is about 60 days away. Frankly, I don't know if I can make it. I am tired all the time and feel that my fitness has hit a plateau for the year, and that any training is not really going to help me get to my goal for the race. I don't know if this is all mental, but I do know its physical as well, since my body just feels so sluggish lately. For instance, I tried a long run last night and it just did not happen (made it only 1/4 of the way through). I intend to try again this evening, but my spirits are pretty low at this point. It just does not seem....fun anymore. There is no giving up, so taking a break is not an option. I am really looking for advice from those of you who have done a late season A race before and how you were able to get through the whole year in one piece.

Late season races are tough because everyone else is done or ramping down and you are in peek training.  I have always done late season IM so i am used to it plus I live in a place you can train year round so basically there is no off season.  I got used to it but its pretty normal

I suspect in pre-IM excitment you might have pushed a little too hard a little too soon.  Your body does need some rest.  I would suggest a light week.  Your body is screaming at you to back off.  LISTEN TO IT.  I am not saying do nothing for a week but scaling back a week would be wise.  Dont try that long run again today. No 2 a days fora  week, do short rides runs and swims and take one full rest day.  REST, sleep, eat well, go the movies.  Your body mind and spirit will be refreshed next week and able to handle things again.  DON'T PANIC.  yeah its 60 days but if you burn out bad now then you will waste another couple weeks and risk injury.   A light week won't hurt you and most likely will help a TON.  

I've been doing IMs since 2006.  I'm a slow athlete but I am smart and experienced and I am a sports doc.  trust me take a week and re-group.  Its the best thing you can do for your training.

2012-08-29 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4385799

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Socks - 2012-08-29 8:53 AM

15step - 2012-08-29 8:35 AM Alright guys, I am in need of a serious pep talk. IMFL is about 60 days away. Frankly, I don't know if I can make it. I am tired all the time and feel that my fitness has hit a plateau for the year, and that any training is not really going to help me get to my goal for the race. I don't know if this is all mental, but I do know its physical as well, since my body just feels so sluggish lately. For instance, I tried a long run last night and it just did not happen (made it only 1/4 of the way through). I intend to try again this evening, but my spirits are pretty low at this point. It just does not seem....fun anymore. There is no giving up, so taking a break is not an option. I am really looking for advice from those of you who have done a late season A race before and how you were able to get through the whole year in one piece.

Late season races are tough because everyone else is done or ramping down and you are in peek training.  I have always done late season IM so i am used to it plus I live in a place you can train year round so basically there is no off season.  I got used to it but its pretty normal

I suspect in pre-IM excitment you might have pushed a little too hard a little too soon.  Your body does need some rest.  I would suggest a light week.  Your body is screaming at you to back off.  LISTEN TO IT.  I am not saying do nothing for a week but scaling back a week would be wise.  Dont try that long run again today. No 2 a days fora  week, do short rides runs and swims and take one full rest day.  REST, sleep, eat well, go the movies.  Your body mind and spirit will be refreshed next week and able to handle things again.  DON'T PANIC.  yeah its 60 days but if you burn out bad now then you will waste another couple weeks and risk injury.   A light week won't hurt you and most likely will help a TON.  

I've been doing IMs since 2006.  I'm a slow athlete but I am smart and experienced and I am a sports doc.  trust me take a week and re-group.  Its the best thing you can do for your training.

Great advice!! Backing off or missing a couple workouts will not really hurt your training, especially if it rejuvenates you to help push thru these last few weeks.

2012-08-29 7:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Socks is right....take a light week.  Its hard because you think you will lose fitness or miss out on fitness gains.  If you go too hard early in the seaon, you risk injury (I am good example).  1 week is not going to make you that much slower it might actually make you faster in the long run!

2012-08-30 9:13 AM

User image

Expert

Not much more to add.  I too live in Florida and basically train year round. First race is in January and last race is November.  Last 2 years was IMFL but before that Miami Man HIM the week after IMFL.  The key is periods of rest/easier training. 

For example.  I am taking tomorrow off from work because I need a day.  I just know it and can feel it.  Luckily I have enough vacation days to burn.  I will run in the AM but will sleep in first, no alarm clock!  Just a short hour run with some core work afterward.  I will then spend the day with my wife.  We are going to the movies and probably the outlet mall.  i will have the crappy popcorn at the movies without thinking twice about it. 

Now Saturday will be a 5.5 hr ride then Sunday a 2 hr ride followed by an hour brick run afterward and that's OK, I'll be ready. 

But I just need time off once in awhile.  If I don't then I'll start to feel the way you are feeling.  I'll do this twice while in IM training in addition to travel days to/from Augusta which is also kind of a rest time.  Works for me.

good luck,

Duane

2012-08-30 6:57 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

The Doc is right.  IM training is about pushing your body to it's absolute limit, letting it recover, then doing it again.  You've hit that limit.  Most experienced IM athletes have been there.  It's time to listen to your body.  Let it recover, you'll not loose fitness, you'll come back stronger and ready -physically and mentally - to train again.

You don't get stronger while you're training, you get stronger when you rest after training.

Good luck.  Rest some and hang in there.  We've got two whole months left.

2012-08-31 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4385752

I felt the same way about two weeks ago....emotionally and physically exhausted.  I was burning the candle on both ends between training, work, and attempting to maintain a personal life.  The key for me was getting several solid nights of sleep 8-10 hours.  I still trained but dialed back the intensity a notch for a few days so my body could recover.  Add some group run, swims, or bikes in to make a training day more social....it will take your mind off of the fact your working out.  

2012-09-01 11:05 PM

User image

Master
Wilmington
Hi there folks. I did the race last year. Does anyone know how far along the road construction at the finish and the sidewalks are this year.
2012-09-02 4:01 AM

Someone posted a Budget car rental coupon last year about 6 weeks out from the race. It saved me a lot on my SUV. Anyone see that again, please post. Thanks. Happy training all and wishing all a great race!
2012-09-02 4:53 AM
in reply to: #4391753

Veteran
Vicksburg
Livestrong191 - 2012-09-01 11:05 PMHi there folks. I did the race last year. Does anyone know how far along the road construction at the finish and the sidewalks are this year.
The construction is finished
2012-09-02 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Wilmington
2012-09-02 6:18 PM

User image

Regular
Georgia
Personally, I think we all go through something similar regardless of the time of year our race falls in. For IMFL, we are just getting into the really tough training and many of our friends are already finished with their season. I know last year after I finished IMWI, I would see someone out biking and think "he must be getting ready for FL, that has to suck". Now I'm that guy. This is my only race of the year but I'm still finding motivation hard. Usually it only lasts a few days then I have an above average (for me) workout and feel much better. November 3 will be here before we know it. The other thing you have going for you is your coach. Talk it over with him. Mine is very used to my whining. Dan will know if you need to HTFU or maybe back off a little. See you in PCB.

2012-09-03 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4392387

User image

Expert

. I know last year after I finished IMWI, I would see someone out biking and think "he must be getting ready for FL, that has to suck". 

Ha!  We were just talking about this on Saturday.  Last year, only 3 of us were doing a late season IM.  Our team would come back to our cars after our 72 mi loop and I'd have to refill and go back out for another 30 miles, usually alone.  Almost everyone else would be done and be saying, "sorry you have to go back out".  Basically saying "that has to suck".  Especially hard when it is 95 degrees.

Well most of those folks are now doing IMFL this year so they have to go back out with me.  I just laugh   But it is so much more fun when there are 6 or 7 of us going back out.

enjoy,

Duane

2012-09-04 9:50 AM

Veteran
Vicksburg

Tips from the IMFL course:

I got the privilege to train on the IMFL course this weekend, therefore I am going to try to share some tips I learned for you who cannot see the course before race week.

Tip 1) Be prepared for a rough swim.  It may or may not be but I am coming to this race so unlucky for you everytime I have been to PCB and raced or trained it has been rough.  So in other words I bring the rough seas with me Frown

Tip 2) Start swimming in your wetsuit, I tried yesterday to swim in my wetsuit and learned I need to build up my shoulder strength for it.  This may be different than most but I had shoulder surgery two years ago on my right shoulder so I will have to get it ready to go.

Tip 3) Bike, we all knew be prepared for the winds but just FYI as the race has been pronounced PANCAKE FLAT over the years I am here to tell you it isn’t.  I have raced Gulf Coast twice and that portion is pancake flat but the back side is not.  Now it is not hard by any means but you do need to be aware so you don’t go out too hard too fast. 

Tip 4) On the bike at the end of Blue Springs Road where you will turn left onto HWY 20 you will descend down a short steep hill only to have to come to a sudden stop to turn.  During the race you need to be very careful here.

Tip 5) On the Front beach road if you ride to the extreme right side of the road be careful of several manholes/potholes.  Keep your head up.

Tip 6)  The run is what it is, Flat but it was hot this weekend.  Heat index while we were running was 102.  Hopefully I don’t bring these temps to Florida on race day.

Have fun training and if anything else sticks out in my mind I will let yall know. 

Oh yeah, jellyfish stings don't hurt that bad.

2012-09-04 12:24 PM

Would people mind sharing a little bit about what they are doing these last 8 1/2 weeks?  Last long runs/rides 2 weeks out or 3 weeks out?  Volume?  Etc.  Anything at all would be most appreciated, just want to make sure I'm on the right track.  Thanks

2012-09-04 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4394210

peewee - 2012-09-04 9:50 AM

Tip 3) Bike, we all knew be prepared for the winds but just FYI as the race has been pronounced PANCAKE FLAT over the years I am here to tell you it isn’t.  I have raced Gulf Coast twice and that portion is pancake flat but the back side is not.  Now it is not hard by any means but you do need to be aware so you don’t go out too hard too fast. 

Do you think it is ridable in the big ring all the time? (I have 54t, and training in Houston I never use the small ring, but with strong headwind I may need to use it, so maybe I would change for a 50t)

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 64