BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 80

2012-05-30 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4234471

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod
rrrunner - 2012-05-29 9:53 PM

I just found out that Chrissie is going to be in Boulder tomorrow!   AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!

Part of me wants to ignore my commitments and GO!!! How many chances does a person get to meet such an icon! On the other hand... it would be 12 hours of drving (round trip), gas money, two missed days of work... Yell

Now I feel even more like a shmuck for going for a bike ride rather than driving a measly 2 hours one way to see her when she was in MD...   I can't wait to start reading her book.  I got it last week.

2012-05-30 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4234949

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Tripopo - 2012-05-30 9:28 AM

Errand day for me and I'm planning a heavy training day as well, I want to swim and then do a 50 min trainer ride into a brick run, swim then errands then brick is the plan, although I woke up a bit later then expected this morning so we'll see.  DW's car had a tree land on it while we were on the unity tour and we are dropping it off tomorrow for repairs.  Well she is working so I'll be dropping it off for repairs and riding my bike home.  Funny how a year or two worth of training changes your perspective on what you can do since DW at first thought it was too far to ride then decided that I don't ever get to say that about a bike trip again...

I hope that the car repairs go well. 

I hope the brick goes well. :-)

2012-05-30 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4212573

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Well I talked myself down from a road trip to meet Chrissie.  Sometimes being a responsible adult sucks!

Question for y'all.  With my "A" race so early in the season, and probably not another OLY until late in the fall, I am trying to figure out a "maintenance" training plan for the summer.  I figure I might maintain at sprint level then ramp back up for the other Oly later in the summer.  Any ideas? I am looking at my training schedule and it is blank after next Saturday!  That's a wierd feeling...

2012-05-30 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4235230

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
rrrunner - 2012-05-30 11:25 AM

Well I talked myself down from a road trip to meet Chrissie.  Sometimes being a responsible adult sucks!

Question for y'all.  With my "A" race so early in the season, and probably not another OLY until late in the fall, I am trying to figure out a "maintenance" training plan for the summer.  I figure I might maintain at sprint level then ramp back up for the other Oly later in the summer.  Any ideas? I am looking at my training schedule and it is blank after next Saturday!  That's a wierd feeling...

After an A race, I typically switch to a single sport focus.  For example, after Vineman, I'll probably go with cycling focused and do Bike MS, come fall metric centuries and maybe a sprint.  After B2B last year, I changed to running focused after a recovery period.  For me this means shorter swims and runs and perhaps a reduction in frequency as well.

2012-05-30 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4234532

User image

Master
Central Kansas
ArielLIlB - 2012-05-29 9:39 PM

Felicia, you beat yourself up too much! I was just checking out your training log (left an inspire ) and you have been ROCKING IT on the runs!! Very impressive - it's getting Salty-caliber mileage! If you feel achy, there ain't no shame in taking some rest.  You really can't train hard if you are hurt! Hope the pool isn't too chilly - I"m starting OW morning sessions this week and I'm nervous about the temp!

Ha! Well, I may be putting in a similar amount of time as Salty (still quite a bit shy), but her distance is twice mine. lol

The pool was very cold, but after about 300-400 meters, I was fine. I just couldn't delay too much at the wall; otherwise, I would cool off again.

I hope you enjoy your OW swims. I'm jealous.

2012-05-30 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4235230

User image

Melon Presser
rrrunner - 2012-05-30 10:25 PM

Hey TJ--you have a few options. Like Janyne said, you could do a single sport focus. It'd probably be a good idea if that focus were on whatever discipline you need to work on the most [everyone loves to hear that]

Take a look at the BT winter maintenance plans. They're good. Pony up for a membership if need be--best investment there is in triathlon.

Another option is to chain plans together; find an Oly plan that fits where you are right now, and then bump up to a more challenging plan when it's time to start an Oly plan that ends right where your race is.

If you need other ideas about plan modification, just ask.

2012-05-30 11:44 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Hi lovely Manatees--really need some time to myself right now so won't be around as much for the next few days, but will be checking my blog and this thread and the couple of forums/challenge I'm responsible for. If I see urgent posts/questions I'll definitely reply. Thank you so so so kindly to all of you, especially Salty, who always check in on me, and she sure holds up more than her fair share of Manatee duty, especially when it comes to inspires.
2012-05-30 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4235379

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
TriAya - 2012-05-30 10:35 AM
rrrunner - 2012-05-30 10:25 PM

Hey TJ--you have a few options. Like Janyne said, you could do a single sport focus. It'd probably be a good idea if that focus were on whatever discipline you need to work on the most [everyone loves to hear that]

Take a look at the BT winter maintenance plans. They're good. Pony up for a membership if need be--best investment there is in triathlon.

Another option is to chain plans together; find an Oly plan that fits where you are right now, and then bump up to a more challenging plan when it's time to start an Oly plan that ends right where your race is.

If you need other ideas about plan modification, just ask.

Thanks for the ideas.  I did a swim focus (my weakest link) plan this time and that worked about as well as a screen door on a submarine. Wink

The next OLY I am planning is 22 weeks after MOAB (HITS Lake Havasu in November) and I have a sprint about every month between now and then.  I'll take a look at the 16 and 20 week  OLY plans again and maybe just do a maintenance plan in the interim...

2012-05-30 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4234069

User image

England
Tripopo - 2012-05-29 10:12 PM

Got a run in finally!! Yay Days Off!

In addition to the run my tri from the other week posted pictures and they have a great one of me running and about to do a full on heel strike.  I've been told by DW that I kinda of look like I'm having a seizure that makes me move forward when I'm running, sooo running manatess any advice on where to go to find info about running form or how to 'fix' it?

Also while running today, and I'm not sure if this was just a function of being on my feet for 10 hours in a pair of fairly worn boots, I had some tenderness in both knees below the kneecap and almost felt like something was bouncing with my stride like a waterbaloon would if that makes sense.  Not pain just a bit tender feeling/uncomfortable any thoughts?

As for the Hockey Manatees I will happily take the job of drunken fan as I've never played and not a great skater but I can insult other teams at a game like none other, except for Philly fans they are just mean...

Looks like they got two goalies and two drunken fans now.  Not sure if i'm good enough to dish out hockey abuse but i'll give it a go.
2012-05-30 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4234751

User image

England
jogo - 2012-05-30 12:15 PM

bcraht - 2012-05-30 12:42 AM Two days left in the May Challenge, Manatees; have you logged everything?  Looks like everyone is really close to their goals, great work!!

I totally missed the discussion about a May challenge.    Are you doing a June challenge?  

You can share my swimming on the May challenge if you like. I have been a shameful let-downCry. Thank goodness Salty baiting was my other discipline, it's nice to excel at something.Wink

2012-05-30 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4235442

User image

Master
ukweeble - 2012-05-30 9:51 AM
Tripopo - 2012-05-29 10:12 PM

Got a run in finally!! Yay Days Off!

In addition to the run my tri from the other week posted pictures and they have a great one of me running and about to do a full on heel strike.  I've been told by DW that I kinda of look like I'm having a seizure that makes me move forward when I'm running, sooo running manatess any advice on where to go to find info about running form or how to 'fix' it?

Also while running today, and I'm not sure if this was just a function of being on my feet for 10 hours in a pair of fairly worn boots, I had some tenderness in both knees below the kneecap and almost felt like something was bouncing with my stride like a waterbaloon would if that makes sense.  Not pain just a bit tender feeling/uncomfortable any thoughts?

As for the Hockey Manatees I will happily take the job of drunken fan as I've never played and not a great skater but I can insult other teams at a game like none other, except for Philly fans they are just mean...

Looks like they got two goalies and two drunken fans now.  Not sure if i'm good enough to dish out hockey abuse but i'll give it a go.

Surely you have had some practice with football?  The game is very different, but the insults are the same...

2012-05-30 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4235412

User image

Extreme Veteran

TriAya - 2012-05-30 12:44 PM Hi lovely Manatees--really need some time to myself right now so won't be around as much for the next few days, but will be checking my blog and this thread and the couple of forums/challenge I'm responsible for. If I see urgent posts/questions I'll definitely reply. Thank you so so so kindly to all of you, especially Salty, who always check in on me, and she sure holds up more than her fair share of Manatee duty, especially when it comes to inspires.

That's an understatement if I ever saw one! You need at least a month-long spa vacation in a beautiful location WITHOUT crazy tropical diseases, to lounge in a cabana on the beach, hand-fed PopTarts by piglets while casually sipping a cool, intoxicating beverage, as turquiose waters lap at your feet. Do what you gotta do, woman - we Manatees can look after ourselves for a bit Wink).

2012-05-30 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4235573

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
ArielLIlB - 2012-05-30 11:46 AM

TriAya - 2012-05-30 12:44 PM Hi lovely Manatees--really need some time to myself right now so won't be around as much for the next few days, but will be checking my blog and this thread and the couple of forums/challenge I'm responsible for. If I see urgent posts/questions I'll definitely reply. Thank you so so so kindly to all of you, especially Salty, who always check in on me, and she sure holds up more than her fair share of Manatee duty, especially when it comes to inspires.

That's an understatement if I ever saw one! You need at least a month-long spa vacation in a beautiful location WITHOUT crazy tropical diseases, to lounge in a cabana on the beach, hand-fed PopTarts by piglets while casually sipping a cool, intoxicating beverage, as turquiose waters lap at your feet. Do what you gotta do, woman - we Manatees can look after ourselves for a bit Wink).

Well said!

2012-05-30 3:07 PM

User image

Elite

TriAya - 2012-05-30 11:44 AM Hi lovely Manatees--really need some time to myself right now so won't be around as much for the next few days, but will be checking my blog and this thread and the couple of forums/challenge I'm responsible for. If I see urgent posts/questions I'll definitely reply. Thank you so so so kindly to all of you, especially Salty, who always check in on me, and she sure holds up more than her fair share of Manatee duty, especially when it comes to inspires.

Take as much time as you need but remember we are here for you as much as you are for us.  Thinking of you always.

2012-05-30 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4235471

User image

Elite

Gotta love my morning routine, I make a cup of tea get onto the computer check face book check BT!!!  I've had to add ten extra mins for BT!

I too don't know what to do after the race training wise though I've another HIM in November probably just work out the plan for that see where it starts.  I've got a HM in August so could focus on running but I will definitely keep up swim squad and do some road biking - that will always be useful!

So i went to squad last night - saw a guy there flying up to do the full IM at the weekend understandably even more nervous than me!  Will probably see him up there - we meet the best people in this sport!

Squad was good, ended up doing about 2.7km with a foot cramp cutting short my session before the 3km.  It was good though - 300m of backstroke was challenging!  Some underwater stuff, lots of arms stuff - I was fastest and had to lead my lane and I noticed i swam the same pace as the next lane where I thought these two guys were super fish - clearly not or I've caught up!

Big hugs and a kiss from Johnny for luck for my race - made my day

2012-05-30 5:22 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland

Drive by post.  I haven't disappeared.  I had a lovely and busy Memorial Day weekend.  HIM is coming up in less than two weeks.  The taper should be nice.  Although my training hasn't gone the way it should, I know I can finish, but may not make any PRs.  I had such a blast at Racine last year, I'm hoping for another wonderful experience.

That is all.  Now back to your regular scheduled programming.  

2012-05-30 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4235608

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
rrrunner - 2012-05-30 2:01 PM
ArielLIlB - 2012-05-30 11:46 AM

Well said!

I especially <3 the part about piglets feeding you poptarts!  Yanti, enjoy and relax!! You so deserve it!!

2012-05-30 8:21 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

We'll miss you, Yanti, but totally understand.  Please take care of yourself, you have done so much for others already.

2012-05-30 8:26 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Here is a quick pic of my biking destination (one of my favorites) tonight.  It is a special place to me for many reasons.  It is a local winery/vineyard that is close to where my grandparents used to live and we would walk there often as kids to play in the creek and checkout the surrounding areas.  As a young adult/adult, I went/go there for picnics, tastings, open air concerts under the stars with good friends, and went there with my Mom with her high school classmates for their reunion.  Lots and lots of good memories.  Not to mention a very scenic area.  I should have taken a few more pics of the lovely lane going to and from.  I saw a turkey tonight, too!

Edited by melbo55 2012-05-30 8:27 PM

(nissleys.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
nissleys.jpg (89KB - 10 downloads)
2012-05-30 8:46 PM

User image

Elite

Just using the forum as a sounding board...beginning to freak out about HIM on Sunday....

so swim cutoff is 1 hour 10mins for 1.9km - I've done a race in very windy conditions 1.5km in 38mins, and a 1.3km in 33mins and I believe i've improved a lot since that.  I figure a conservative but realistic estimate will be 45mins plus 8mins transition (made that up)

bike cut off is 5.30 from the start time.  so if i've done 53mins incl T1 I've got well over four hours to bike the 90km with an average speed of 22.5kph.  Last big ride I did was on undulating hills and for 75km and I did an average speed of 27kph.  Would love to achieve that but am being conservative and saying let's do 24kph.  That's 3hours 45mins.

Another 8mins in T2.

so that would leave me....

2 hours and 44mins to do the 21km run.  All estimates above are erring on the side of caution and I hope to smash those times!  I would like to leave 3 hours in the bank for the run because it's going to be hot and humid by the time we start running.

Phew - just praying for no issues on the swim, no mechanical breakdowns on the ride (one flat tire is my allowance and i hope not to do even that)

I don't want to let everyone down with a DNF but if it happens due to an uncontrollable such as mechanical failure - I would be upset but not devastated.

So my strategy is thus:  for the first time ever I'm going hard on the swim.  for the first time ever I'm going to run into transition 1.  For the first time ever I'm going to go hard on the first half of the ride.  If I can get time in the bank doing those things I'll be a happy manatee!

just putting it all out there - a problem shared is a problem halved.

2012-05-30 8:47 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Good evening! I missed my swim at noon today. One of my colleagues asked me to go to lunch with him (Subway), and I hesitated, but I decided I should go. We had fun.

So I left work at about 3:00, and went for a 20+ mile bike ride. We are having storms right now, and I guess while I was out on my ride, we had hail at home. As I turned at about the 14 mile point, the wind died down a little, and the clouds were black, and I could smell the rain. The farmers were out harvesting the wheat, and everything looked so peaceful and lovely.

Fifteen minutes after I got home, the clouds opened up and it rained. Hard. Thunder and lightning -- the kind that shakes every part of the house. It was so beautiful.

Things have slowed down now, so I'm thinking of going out for a short run after I get the little guy to bed. It should be enchanting.

2012-05-30 10:37 PM
in reply to: #4236352

User image

Master
jobaxas - 2012-05-30 6:46 PM

Just using the forum as a sounding board...beginning to freak out about HIM on Sunday....

so swim cutoff is 1 hour 10mins for 1.9km - I've done a race in very windy conditions 1.5km in 38mins, and a 1.3km in 33mins and I believe i've improved a lot since that.  I figure a conservative but realistic estimate will be 45mins plus 8mins transition (made that up)

bike cut off is 5.30 from the start time.  so if i've done 53mins incl T1 I've got well over four hours to bike the 90km with an average speed of 22.5kph.  Last big ride I did was on undulating hills and for 75km and I did an average speed of 27kph.  Would love to achieve that but am being conservative and saying let's do 24kph.  That's 3hours 45mins.

Another 8mins in T2.

2 hours and 44mins to do the 21km run.  All estimates above are erring on the side of caution and I hope to smash those times!  I would like to leave 3 hours in the bank for the run because it's going to be hot and humid by the time we start running.

Phew - just praying for no issues on the swim, no mechanical breakdowns on the ride (one flat tire is my allowance and i hope not to do even that)

I don't want to let everyone down with a DNF but if it happens due to an uncontrollable such as mechanical failure - I would be upset but not devastated.

So my strategy is thus:  for the first time ever I'm going hard on the swim.  for the first time ever I'm going to run into transition 1.  For the first time ever I'm going to go hard on the first half of the ride.  If I can get time in the bank doing those things I'll be a happy manatee!

Jo, the only person you are doing this race for is you.  We are behind you all the way, but a DNF for any reason would not "let everyone down".  I love that you are breaking it all down in your head--visualization is an incredible tool.  The only thing I would worry about is you going hard on the first half of the ride.  You don't want to gas yourself for the rest of the ride.  I would suggest that you negative split your ride--save some in the tank to crank it up a bit for the second half of the ride.  That way you can be sure to get some nutrition in on the first half of the ride as well.  (Please note these comments are not from experience in any way, just what I know I will have to do for my HIM!)

I am so looking forward to tracking you during your race Laughing

2012-05-30 11:26 PM
in reply to: #4236352

User image

Seattle
jobaxas - 2012-05-30 8:46 PM

Another 8mins in T2.

Girl, you got this! From all your training down to you mental breakdown. Don't let those negative thoughts get the best of you. Get to that start line with a calm clear mind and lay it all out there. Your best is all you can ever do and you can rest assured that is what you are going to do.
2012-05-30 11:28 PM
in reply to: #4236355

User image

Seattle
KansasMom - 2012-05-30 8:47 PM

Good evening! I missed my swim at noon today. One of my colleagues asked me to go to lunch with him (Subway), and I hesitated, but I decided I should go. We had fun.

So I left work at about 3:00, and went for a 20+ mile bike ride. We are having storms right now, and I guess while I was out on my ride, we had hail at home. As I turned at about the 14 mile point, the wind died down a little, and the clouds were black, and I could smell the rain. The farmers were out harvesting the wheat, and everything looked so peaceful and lovely.

Fifteen minutes after I got home, the clouds opened up and it rained. Hard. Thunder and lightning -- the kind that shakes every part of the house. It was so beautiful.

Things have slowed down now, so I'm thinking of going out for a short run after I get the little guy to bed. It should be enchanting.

I love how you just go with the flow. The descriptions of your storms and night runs make me smile.
2012-05-30 11:31 PM
in reply to: #4236330

User image

Seattle
melbo55 - 2012-05-30 8:26 PMHere is a quick pic of my biking destination (one of my favorites) tonight.  It is a special place to me for many reasons.  It is a local winery/vineyard that is close to where my grandparents used to live and we would walk there often as kids to play in the creek and checkout the surrounding areas.  As a young adult/adult, I went/go there for picnics, tastings, open air concerts under the stars with good friends, and went there with my Mom with her high school classmates for their reunion.  Lots and lots of good memories.  Not to mention a very scenic area.  I should have taken a few more pics of the lovely lane going to and from.  I saw a turkey tonight, too!
beautiful! I'm actually leading a group of bike newbies on a ride to a brewery and winery this weekend!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  

of 80