Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2013-04-10 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: RE: 'The' Gun Thread
Looks as though federal background checks will get a positive vote in the senate.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/10/deal-reached-on-bac...

2013-04-10 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4694539

User image

Pro

pitt83 - 2013-04-10 9:23 AM Looks as though federal background checks will get a positive vote in the senate. http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/10/deal-reached-on-bac...

And they'll be a complete waste of time without medical history to check for possible mental issues.  Even then their worth is dubious....go check the stats on how many guns used in crimes are purchased legally.  Another "feel good" regulation that won't change a single thing the proponents think it will.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-04-10 9:27 AM
2013-04-10 9:27 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Yeah? What about the House?

Much ado about nothing I'm sure.
2013-04-10 9:33 AM

User image

I'm pretty up to speed politically and I have to say I've never heard of Toomey before all this. But CNN presents it as though he's a senate GOP leader who is leading his party to the table.

They seem to build this stuff up when they know the house is never going to vote for it.
2013-04-10 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4694553

User image

Champion
GomesBolt - 2013-04-10 10:33 AM

I'm pretty up to speed politically and I have to say I've never heard of Toomey before all this. But CNN presents it as though he's a senate GOP leader who is leading his party to the table.

They seem to build this stuff up when they know the house is never going to vote for it.

I hadn't heard anything about the house's split. Any ideas on where that's projected?
2013-04-10 9:38 AM

User image

Party line is what I'm hearing.

2013-04-10 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4694262

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

DanielG - 2013-04-10 4:38 AM National police survey: most officers oppose gun control, support concealed carry http://www.policeone.com/Gun-Legislation-Law-Enforcement/articles/6...
More than 15,000 verified law enforcement professionals took part in the survey, which aimed to bring together the thoughts and opinions of the only professional group devoted to limiting and defeating gun violence as part of their sworn responsibility.

There are approx. 1 million Law Enforcement professionals in the US alone.  15000 is a ridiculously small sample to take anything away from.  PoliceOne is one of several trade publications that float around the bathrooms of police desks and dispatch centers.  Heavily endorsed by the NRA and gun manufacturers.  IMO it is marketed for LEOs who happen to be gun enthusiasts. 

Edited by jeffnboise 2013-04-10 10:03 AM
2013-04-10 9:48 AM

User image

Jeff,

As opposed to the gun haters who happen to wear a badge?

I find that description rather discriminatory. You could have said "officers who are gun enthusiasts".

As for the numbers of support/opposition from police. I do believe the majority of the police unions and trade groups who are most vocal are opposed to gun rights.

But the demographics of police nationwide are that there are more rural officers who are not vocal at all and who almost universally support gun ownership.
2013-04-10 9:50 AM

User image

Link to go along with what I was saying above:
http://bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=71
2013-04-10 9:52 AM
in reply to: #4693031

User image

powerman - 2013-04-09 8:29 AM

Pector55 - 2013-04-09 9:20 AM I think it has become apparent that it is the right approach Appa.  The so-called "high road" is the path of least resistance and as a result of decades of being passive, our rights have erroded.  It is time for the LB approach to beat these misguided folks back.

And that is exactly where I'm at. I've said it plenty... I do not have a problem with universal background checks... but universal back ground checks isn't the end, it's the beginnning. gun control advocates do not want less crime, less violence, or less accident. they want less guns...meaning no guns. so their solutions to problems are not solutions to problems, they are nothing more than using any thing they can to advancing their agenda to get rid of guns.

Again, if that's what you want, that's fine, just begin a honest movement to repeal the 2A and we can vote on it. But until then, meaningful solutions to crime and violence go by the way side because they are so focused on getting rid of guns. Hence the compelety ridiculous effort to outlaw a "type" of gun responsible for 1% of the problem.

And the equally ridiculous use of a tragic event to highlight a "type" of accidental death that is responsible for .0047% of all accidental deaths.

But ya... let's just ignor that and keep giving into their ridiculous demands and illogical arguments for why I do not get the choice to exercise a right.

The thing that troubles me is with all of the gun laws on the books now I'm pretty sure it's illegal for a felon to own or poses a firearm and it's illegal to sell or give a felon a firearm. Why not just enforce that law.

Why not enforce the laws on the books now.

There is little to no "crime reduction" or "gun violence" reduction with this proposed legislation. As someone on MSNBC openly admits it's just a first step.

2013-04-10 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4694545

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Left Brain - 2013-04-10 8:26 AM

pitt83 - 2013-04-10 9:23 AM Looks as though federal background checks will get a positive vote in the senate. http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/10/deal-reached-on-bac...

And they'll be a complete waste of time without medical history to check for possible mental issues.  Even then their worth is dubious....go check the stats on how many guns used in crimes are purchased legally.  Another "feel good" regulation that won't change a single thing the proponents think it will.

That's exactly why we need to close the Gun Show Loop Hole.  So the bad guys CAN'T buy them legally. 

This thing is gonna pass the Senate.  Along party line or not-who cares.  The 'nayes' will have to answer to their voters back home.  The NRA and gun lobbys are not the only players with money to spend these days.  Our elected officials want nothing but to be our RE-elected officials.  They are gonna move to where the money is; if that's Gabby Giffords moeny, So Be It.

2013-04-10 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4694601

User image

Pro
crusevegas - 2013-04-10 9:52 AM

Pector55 - 2013-04-09 9:20 AM I think it has become apparent that it is the right approach Appa.  The so-called "high road" is the path of least resistance and as a result of decades of being passive, our rights have erroded.  It is time for the LB approach to beat these misguided folks back.

And that is exactly where I'm at. I've said it plenty... I do not have a problem with universal background checks... but universal back ground checks isn't the end, it's the beginnning. gun control advocates do not want less crime, less violence, or less accident. they want less guns...meaning no guns. so their solutions to problems are not solutions to problems, they are nothing more than using any thing they can to advancing their agenda to get rid of guns.

Again, if that's what you want, that's fine, just begin a honest movement to repeal the 2A and we can vote on it. But until then, meaningful solutions to crime and violence go by the way side because they are so focused on getting rid of guns. Hence the compelety ridiculous effort to outlaw a "type" of gun responsible for 1% of the problem.

And the equally ridiculous use of a tragic event to highlight a "type" of accidental death that is responsible for .0047% of all accidental deaths.

But ya... let's just ignor that and keep giving into their ridiculous demands and illogical arguments for why I do not get the choice to exercise a right.

The thing that troubles me is with all of the gun laws on the books now I'm pretty sure it's illegal for a felon to own or poses a firearm and it's illegal to sell or give a felon a firearm. Why not just enforce that law.

There is little to no "crime reduction" or "gun violence" reduction with this proposed legislation. As someone on MSNBC openly admits it's just a first step.

That is exactly right.  And it is also correct that the current gun laws are more than adequate to get the congtrol that the anti-gun folks want. 

Virtually NOBODY goes to jail for "gun crimes" short of using one to commit a crime.  (except on the Federal level where posession of a gun by a convicted felon will actually get you some time......but it's rarely prosecuted).

Part of the problem with the "convicted felon in possession" laws is that "conviction" is very cloudy.  Most guilty pleas contain a sentence with an SIS (suspended imposition), or SES (suspended execution), that does not count toward an actual conviction in the sense needed to mark someone as a "convicted felon".

Again, it's not TV.

2013-04-10 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4694601

User image

Elite
crusevegas - 2013-04-10 8:52 AM

And a push for Federal laws when existing Federal laws are not even enforced.

It is against the law to give false information on a back ground check, but when people do not pass, nobody goes after it. It's just yes or no. Why do they not go after those that don't pass.

Where are the Federal agents that are going to go around checking magazines? Where are the Federal agents enforcing private sales?

Edited by powerman 2013-04-10 10:00 AM
2013-04-10 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4694613

User image

Pro
jeffnboise - 2013-04-10 9:55 AM

That's exactly why we need to close the Gun Show Loop Hole.  So the bad guys CAN'T buy them legally. 

This thing is gonna pass the Senate.  Along party line or not-who cares.  The 'nayes' will have to answer to their voters back home.  The NRA and gun lobbys are not the only players with money to spend these days.  Our elected officials want nothing but to be our RE-elected officials.  They are gonna move to where the money is; if that's Gabby Giffords moeny, So Be It.

If you think street criminals go into gunshows to buy guns you need more sleep.

2013-04-10 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4694587

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

GomesBolt - 2013-04-10 8:48 AM Jeff,

As opposed to the gun haters who happen to wear a badge?

I find that description rather discriminatory. You could have said "officers who are gun enthusiasts".

As for the numbers of support/opposition from police. I do believe the majority of the police unions and trade groups who are most vocal are opposed to gun rights.

But the demographics of police nationwide are that there are more rural officers who are not vocal at all and who almost universally support gun ownership.

Absolutely no offense intended, sir. 

And I, too, support "Gun Rights" and "Gun Ownership".  But I also support 100% background checks on all purchases.  And IMO if you asked THAT question in a stand-alone poll, the majority of LEOs would say "Yes".

2013-04-10 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4694613

User image

Elite
jeffnboise - 2013-04-10 8:55 AM

You are kidding right? How exactly does a criminal buy a gun "legally". Can you explain the "Gun Show Loop Hole"?

2013-04-10 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4694631

User image

Champion
powerman - 2013-04-10 11:02 AM

You are kidding right? How exactly does a criminal buy a gun "legally". Can you explain the "Gun Show Loop Hole"?

Private sale from an aquaintence is a serious loop hole. Be that in a hotel ballroom show or over craigslist. That should be subject to the same standard as an LGS sale.
2013-04-10 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4694371

User image

Champion
Chicago
Brock Samson - 2013-04-10 7:54 AM

mr2tony - 2013-04-09 1:01 PM
Pector55 - 2013-04-09 10:57 AM
mr2tony - 2013-04-09 11:52 AM
powerman - 2013-04-09 10:29 AM

Power, that's painting with a pretty broad brush isn't it? I'm a gun control advocate and I want less crime, less violence and fewer accidents. I am for universal background checks and punishments for things just like this incident. I am not for eliminating guns completely, I am for responsible ownership, and if you prove you can't be trusted with a gun (like the guy in this story who left it lying around) then you should be convicted of a crime with one of the consequences being that you lose your right to bear arms. He would then lose his job and have his guns confiscated. All rights come with restrictions. The right to bear and have arms should be no different.

So Tony, can you elaborate on what you just said?  I don't want to hit you with the same "broad brush" comment before giving you an opportunity to clarify.

When a person has an auto accident, do you believe they should have their license and automobiles confiscated and refused the priviledge to ever drive again?  After all, that is dangerous and nobody has a right to drive in the first place.

I was very clear in my first post that if you can't responsibly own a gun, then you shouldn't be allowed to have one. I really don't see why this is so controversial. Second, you act like this shooting was just some random happening that couldn't have been avoided, and I couldn't disagree more. Leaving the gun out, loaded and charged, is negligent, or actually reckless, at best. So jail time and/or permit revocation would be a proper punishment for the person who left out the gun because he was negligent or reckless. To use a car analogy, when someone drives negligently or recklessly, they lose their license or go to jail because they've proven they can't operate a vehicle responsibly.

I'm still unclear...you say "responsible gun owner" what in your definition is "responsible?"

Additionally, huge difference between negligence and reckless...typically in the US you cannot criminalize simple negligence...even in laws that criminalize negligence it is not simple negligence but rather gross negligence.  So people actually don't go to jail for simple negligence...

You're unclear about whether a guy who leaves his loaded gun on the bed when children are present during a party is irresponsible?
2013-04-10 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4694641

User image

Champion
SoCal
pitt83 - 2013-04-10 8:05 AM

Private sale from an aquaintence is a serious loop hole. Be that in a hotel ballroom show or over craigslist. That should be subject to the same standard as an LGS sale.

In CA if there is no FFL transfer it's not a legal sale.

2013-04-10 10:12 AM

User image

Pro
pitt83 - 2013-04-10 10:05 AM

It is?  Why?  Do you have some data that shows those guns from private sales are used in alot of crime?  Do you think that making background checks mandatory that people will quit selling/buying/trading guns amongst themselves? 

Can you explain exactly what you hope will be accomplished with background checks? ....or the closure of any "loophole"?

2013-04-10 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4694650

User image

Pro
Big Appa - 2013-04-10 10:09 AM
pitt83 - 2013-04-10 8:05 AM

In CA if there is no FFL transfer it's not a legal sale.

Yeah, and that must be why shootings are so low in  Ca. compared to the rest of the country.

I realize that you are just the messenger, Appa, but those FFL transfers don't do a thing to deter criminals. 

2013-04-10 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4694655

User image

Champion
Left Brain - 2013-04-10 11:12 AM

pitt83 - 2013-04-10 10:05 AM

It is?  Why?  Do you have some data that shows those guns from private sales are used in alot of crime?  Do you think that making background checks mandatory that people will quit selling/buying/trading guns amongst themselves? 

Can you explain exactly what you hope will be accomplished with background checks? ....or the closure of any "loophole"?

Homogenization. There should be no reason why different routes of sale should exist.
2013-04-10 10:16 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

To those of you who are in favor of background checks, and because of that believe that the Schumer "background check" bill should be passed, I have a question for you: Have you read the bill?

This bill isn't just "back ground checks", it isn't just "closing the gun show loop hole"  Read it...  It is far more intrusive.  It would require back ground checks in situations that there isn't a sale, but a temporary transfer or lending.  Read the bill...don't simply take the word of the press, the congress people promoting or opposing the bill, or me.  Read it....

Personally I find the bill overly broad and intrusive.  To me it appears that this "background check" bill's primary purpose is to make gun ownership so onerous and inconvenient as to dissuade people from gun ownership.  (for instance under the Schumer bill if you own a firearm and you have a non-related room mate and you go on vacation for over a certain period of time and you are going to leave your firearms at your home, you would have to conduct a back ground check on your room mate.  Additionally different requirements for lending and triggering a background check depending upon where you go shooting either at a gun club or out in the woods...)

But then again, I've read the bill....

2013-04-10 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4694666

User image

Champion
Brock Samson - 2013-04-10 11:16 AM

To those of you who are in favor of background checks, and because of that believe that the Schumer "background check" bill should be passed, I have a question for you: Have you read the bill?

This bill isn't just "back ground checks", it isn't just "closing the gun show loop hole"  Read it...  It is far more intrusive.  It would require back ground checks in situations that there isn't a sale, but a temporary transfer or lending.  Read the bill...don't simply take the word of the press, the congress people promoting or opposing the bill, or me.  Read it....

Personally I find the bill overly broad and intrusive.  To me it appears that this "background check" bill's primary purpose is to make gun ownership so onerous and inconvenient as to dissuade people from gun ownership.  (for instance under the Schumer bill if you own a firearm and you have a non-related room mate and you go on vacation for over a certain period of time and you are going to leave your firearms at your home, you would have to conduct a back ground check on your room mate.  Additionally different requirements for lending and triggering a background check depending upon where you go shooting either at a gun club or out in the woods...)

But then again, I've read the bill....

And truthfully; I have no problem with those provisions.
2013-04-10 10:20 AM

User image

pitt83 - 2013-04-10 11:05 AM

He didn't ask that, he asked how a criminal buys a gun legally.

Anyone who has been convicted of a crime with a potential sentence of over 1 year cannot legally possess (read: Handle, touch) a firearm or a single round of ammunition. That's current law.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  

of 48