2014-10-01 5:54 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion

Originally posted by Kido

Originally posted by Socks

So I tell you all I can't do my ironman because I have to have knee surgery and no response?  I'm pretty bummed out not only about missing the race but because my knee is fairly buggered up and despite the MIR I am not exactly sure what they will find.  Or am I not supposed to talk about triathlon in TAN?

My condolences on the IM.  You will get the next one when you are all healed and better...  And I have faith you WILL get better, despite your concerns.  Sorry for the rough patch about everything that been going on.  From experience though, wedding planning seems to add a lot of stress to everything in life for some weird reason.  I DID read it all. 

Also, I wouldn't take the lack or response in TAN too personally.  I'm resigned to the fact that TAN is not like it used to be with actual conversations, banter, joking, and such.  It's a place where people now just dump thoughts and move along.  People may not even read back anymore - I try to see what people wrote, but feel like actually conversing is a waste of time since it seems, to me, to be one sided.  Anything I have to say falls on deaf ears...  Or so seems the trend.

I mentioned that my step mother had an accident where she fractured her spine a month ago and got crickets.  PLUS, there is a significant lack of traffic in TAN and BT in general.  People may not have seen it...

Thanks kido..........I miss chat.  Chat was fun.  I have a wedding planner thank God.  The planning is actually going fine butt he fact my maid of honor backed out is annoying and that one of the groomsmen is behaving like a 2 year old..  Hope your step mother is better.   Its stressful to have injured loved ones.  I find that being the doctor is the easiest road followed by being the pt and being the loved one really is the pits.  When you have malpractice insurance and leave a practice you purchase "tail" to "cover your tail"  There is a statue of limitations on malpractice cases and it covers you until that runs out.  Its stupid expensive.  IF I hadn't been digging myself out of a financial pit of despair the last 3.5 years it would not be a problem

2014-10-01 11:51 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I've decided to make it official. After years of pondering, I have made a determination. Know what the most enjoyable thing is life is (well, for me)? LEARNING. Maybe even better than PIZZA! More satisfying, and yes, I'm doing it right.

Better yet, learning what has become a passion to you. Then it's not even work! I have spent SO many hours recently trying to learn everything I can about photography. Anything I can read or watch. I have learned so much and most of it I didn't even realize was out their TO learn! I had no clue about white balance or bracketing for HDR or even rules of composition. Also realize how much more their is to learn. Just scratch the surface. (it used to be that way for triathlons, then golf, the the next thing) Sometimes I wonder if I had as much passion for school work what kind of grades I could have gotten!

I always siad if you can learn one thing new a day, then it's a good day. PLUS there is so much to learn you can never run out. Almost sad life is so short. Languages, history, astronomy, physiology, sociology, art, physics, music (many of my favorites)Even if most things are out of reach or not of interest to someone, there are still thousands of other things to learn.

It's always fascinating to see what gets someone fired up. People that may appear to have no real aptitude or "smarts" may be able to devote countless hours to master something that would amaze you. So find your passion TAN and embrace it!

2014-10-02 5:59 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by Kido I've decided to make it official. After years of pondering, I have made a determination. Know what the most enjoyable thing is life is (well, for me)? LEARNING. Maybe even better than PIZZA! More satisfying, and yes, I'm doing it right.

Better yet, learning what has become a passion to you. Then it's not even work! I have spent SO many hours recently trying to learn everything I can about photography. Anything I can read or watch. I have learned so much and most of it I didn't even realize was out their TO learn! I had no clue about white balance or bracketing for HDR or even rules of composition. Also realize how much more their is to learn. Just scratch the surface. (it used to be that way for triathlons, then golf, the the next thing) Sometimes I wonder if I had as much passion for school work what kind of grades I could have gotten!

I always siad if you can learn one thing new a day, then it's a good day. PLUS there is so much to learn you can never run out. Almost sad life is so short. Languages, history, astronomy, physiology, sociology, art, physics, music (many of my favorites)Even if most things are out of reach or not of interest to someone, there are still thousands of other things to learn.

It's always fascinating to see what gets someone fired up. People that may appear to have no real aptitude or "smarts" may be able to devote countless hours to master something that would amaze you. So find your passion TAN and embrace it!

Photography is fun.  Its COMPLETELY changed by digital photography.  take a class where you can develop your own film and you will really be blown away.  that's really fun.  Did that in undergrad.  1000 years ago. 

2014-10-02 8:44 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by Kido I've decided to make it official. After years of pondering, I have made a determination. Know what the most enjoyable thing is life is (well, for me)? LEARNING. Maybe even better than PIZZA! More satisfying, and yes, I'm doing it right.

If I could have pizza once a day I'd be a happy man!

2014-10-02 11:54 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Also, I wouldn't take the lack or response in TAN too personally.  I'm resigned to the fact that TAN is not like it used to be with actual conversations, banter, joking, and such.  It's a place where people now just dump thoughts and move along.  People may not even read back anymore - I try to see what people wrote, but feel like actually conversing is a waste of time since it seems, to me, to be one sided.  Anything I have to say falls on deaf ears...  Or so seems the trend.

I have some theories on this, partially involving the fact that the majority of the super active TANNers back in the day have simply moved on. I think some of them were put off by the "divide" created between a very small minority of BTers who attacked TAN and kept twisting and twisting trying to get a reaction. That was ridiculously silly and I know I just stopped interacting with those people all together, including reading TAN since they came in here to attack as well.

Also for me, I started a new job in April and am way busier so I just don't have time to check in and read/reply to everything anymore. Makes me realize just how NOT busy I was at my last job where I had all that time.

2014-10-02 1:50 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Speaking of dumping random thoughts, here's a philosophical one for the day:

There are many versions of ourselves recreated in the minds of everyone we've ever met.

And I do actually check back to see if my posting of these random thoughts spur any sort of conversation, however they have not been good conversation seeds...

2014-10-02 5:51 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by MOlsen

There are many versions of ourselves recreated in the minds of everyone we've ever met.

And I do actually check back to see if my posting of these random thoughts spur any sort of conversation, however they have not been good conversation seeds...

Unfortunately, no-ones version of me is nearly as cool as the real deal.  Not sure why everyone gets it wrong. 

2014-10-02 7:08 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Unfortunately, no-ones version of me is nearly as cool as the real deal.  Not sure why everyone gets it wrong. 

you can't know someone over the internet, only those portions of themselves they choose to share.  Most of us are quite complex creatures.  Very few of the people who I consider friends know all the parts of me.  I'm quite complicated.

2014-10-03 6:39 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

I get it wrong because you always have goofy avatars then I see pictures of you in real life on the facebook and I'm like "what?  you are tall and skinny?  not peter griffin?"

Speaking of Kido avatars, it is October which means time for the creepy one.

2014-10-03 6:40 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

you can't know someone over the internet, only those portions of themselves they choose to share.  Most of us are quite complex creatures.  Very few of the people who I consider friends know all the parts of me.  I'm quite complicated.

I don't really consider people "friends" unless I'm willing to share all sides of me with them.

2014-10-03 9:57 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I am thinking it is a Taco Bell Friday today.

2014-10-03 10:45 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I ran across some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies at Von's yesterday.  Since the wife loves all things pumpkin-ee, I got them for her.  I was dubious at first, but OMG, so good...

Thanks for the reminder Meh, it may be time for a spooky avatar change...

2014-10-03 11:10 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I ran across some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies at Von's yesterday.  Since the wife loves all things pumpkin-ee, I got them for her.  I was dubious at first, but OMG, so good...

Thanks for the reminder Meh, it may be time for a spooky avatar change...

If I still drank milk/coffee drinks I would be at the coffee shop by my office each morning getting one of their pumpkin lattes made with real pumpkin puree... so good, just watch out for the slurry at the bottom of the cup.

2014-10-03 11:11 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by jford2309

our cafeteria makes a pretty decent pork bbq on fridays that i'm about to hit up.

then to see gone girl in the fancy new theater!  whoo hoo!

2014-10-03 11:14 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by mehaner

our cafeteria makes a pretty decent pork bbq on fridays that i'm about to hit up.

We are going to see the Equalizer, the new Denzel movie. My wife wants me to read the book Gone Girl before we see the movie!

2014-10-03 11:44 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

We are going to see the Equalizer, the new Denzel movie. My wife wants me to read the book Gone Girl before we see the movie!

Wife is leaning towards Gone Girl and I'm more for seeing the Equalizer...  I'm sure both are going to be good and we will get them both in eventually.

I usually try NOT to read the book before seeing a movie.  Enjoy the movie without expectations, then read the book and enjoy it over again because books tend to be better in the first place.

2014-10-03 11:58 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Just beware if you try and read any of Gone Girl author's other books. So disturbing. I read Dark Places and have Sharp Objects but am delaying reading it because I hear it's just as dark.

2014-10-03 12:03 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I effing hate when I'm subjected to dealing with the stupidity of others, and then they act like the stupid isn't theirs.  Few things burn my patience quicker.

Eff the Universe!!

Happy Monday, all.

2014-10-03 12:10 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by cgregg

I effing hate when I'm subjected to dealing with the stupidity of others, and then they act like the stupid isn't theirs.  Few things burn my patience quicker.

Eff the Universe!!

Happy Monday, all.

"You can't fix stupid"

2014-10-03 12:33 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by lisac957

Just beware if you try and read any of Gone Girl author's other books. So disturbing. I read Dark Places and have Sharp Objects but am delaying reading it because I hear it's just as dark.

i'm going to download these on nook right now.  i like disturbing and i'm almost done with the book i've been reading lately!

2014-10-03 12:44 PM

User image

Pro

i'm going to download these on nook right now.  i like disturbing and i'm almost done with the book i've been reading lately!

Listened to this on my drive to MO... My sister had already read it. Our conversations about the book usually went:

Me: This is so effed up! This story is crazy!

Her: What part are you at?

Me: (whatever part)

Her: Oh just wait. It gets weirder.

It did. Every time.

2014-10-06 8:54 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Pro

Aw, I killed TAN!

Happy Monday, everyone!

2014-10-06 9:14 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

You can't kill TAN   Hope things are better for you Elaine.  Didn't you move? 

2014-10-06 9:59 AM

User image

Pro

You can't kill TAN   Hope things are better for you Elaine.  Didn't you move? 

I'm in missouri for 6 more weeks for military training.

There may be a big move in the near future - potentially leaving Tucson for the east coast again

How have you been? Wedding planning, right? And did I see an injury in there?

2014-10-06 10:05 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Listened to this on my drive to MO... My sister had already read it. Our conversations about the book usually went:

Me: This is so effed up! This story is crazy!

Her: What part are you at?

Me: (whatever part)

Her: Oh just wait. It gets weirder.

It did. Every time.

downloaded both, they start tonight.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1691 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2210 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1915 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2248 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3965 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.