BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-02-27 1:01 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed
Got to my FTP test today after a rough week
Monday: Up all night with some kind of terrible stomach virus. Called in sick for work, cancelled planned FTP test
Tuesday: Still not holding down much food, exhausted, called in sick again. Felt better by the end of the day, tried a pool session but wasn't up to doing much.
Wednesday: Back to work, no workout though - sickness got worse again.
Thursday: Did an easy 45min spin on the bike around 70% FTP, felt good.
Friday: Decided to do the FTP test on Saturday, so rested (went to bed early).
Today: FTP test. Wasn't sure what to expect but it didn't turn out too bad.
 photo FTPtestFeb27_zpsd8k1f4ty.jpg
Trainerroad says my new FTP should be 227... based on the above, think it's safe to bump it to 230?

2016-02-27 1:24 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

Monday: Up all night with some kind of terrible stomach virus. Called in sick for work, cancelled planned FTP test
Tuesday: Still not holding down much food, exhausted, called in sick again. Felt better by the end of the day, tried a pool session but wasn't up to doing much.
Trainerroad says my new FTP should be 227... based on the above, think it's safe to bump it to 230?

What was the 20min average ?

If it were me, I would do a 3 to 5 min all out and cross check the FTP with my CP.
2016-02-27 5:23 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
20 min average power for the test was 239W.

If I do, say, a 3 min all-out, what do I do with that number to cross-check FTP with CP?
2016-02-27 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Had a hard 2x20' @ 95% ride on my schedule for today....I've been sorta stressing about it all week, to be honest.  I knew, physically, I was totally capable of it, but I tend to struggle mentally on these long, hard intervals.  But I had a game plan and ended up putting down some strong numbers, with the first interval coming in at 97% and the second at 98%.  I felt like I could have gutted out a third interval at roughly the same power, but that I would have blown up if I'd tried for two at 100%.  

And then I watched the last 30 minutes of Evelyn Stevens' attempt at setting a new hour record -- she smashed the old world record!  Really cool....and then I realized how little I was truly suffering on my 2x20' set in comparison to what she just did!

2016-02-28 6:53 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
South Alabama

Sounds like everyone is getting some solid training in.  I think it will be an easy day with some active recovery for me.

When is everyone's first triathlon of the season and are you pleased with where you are in preparation?  I now Nicole has already raced a 70.3 but for most of us we are still in the pre-season.

2016-02-28 7:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

20 min average power for the test was 239W.

If I do, say, a 3 min all-out, what do I do with that number to cross-check FTP with CP?

There is a CP calculator in GC. You plug in the short term number (3-5min) and the longer number (20-30min) and it calculates a CP and something called a W'. The CP should be close to your FTP.

However if you have a very large W' it means there is a large anaerobic contribution in your 20' number and using the 95% will probably overestimate your FTP. A lot of people, particularly men have a stronger W' and should be using a 92 or 93% for true value. Or it may find you have a smaller W' and you should use 96 or 97%.

Knowing the a few points along your CP curve is just good for knowing your strengths and weakness and some tools for measuring progress that we can discuss if interesting.

There are tools in GC and Raceday that will allow you to detect when your CP should be raised if you know your W' and CP.

2016-02-28 8:17 AM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by marcag

If it were me, I would do a 3 to 5 min all out and cross check the FTP with my CP.

Marc,
Earlier in that Trainer Road test that Mike posted at the 20 minute mark there is what they call a "5 minute clearing effort" which I believe is supposed to be near maximal effort. Would you use the average power from that interval in calculating CP? Or should it be done with a completely separate test?
2016-02-28 8:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenSprocket

Marc,
Earlier in that Trainer Road test that Mike posted at the 20 minute mark there is what they call a "5 minute clearing effort" which I believe is supposed to be near maximal effort. Would you use the average power from that interval in calculating CP? Or should it be done with a completely separate test?

That does make a difference. If there was a clearing effort before then chances are his 20min is slightly lower than he would have done fresh. Now it depends how hard he really went on the clearing effort.

If he did it at say 320w, that is very different than if he did it at 250

This is why I dislike the 5 + 20 same day since a) people don't pace the 5 properly b) a 2 separate day protocol gives more insight

It would be interesting to know what his prev 5' blow out number was.

If it's a good number then I would probably do an all all 1min test rather than the 3-5' test. If it's a low ball number I would do the 3-5' test. More than happy to look at the numbers in private or as a group if we're interested and debate the merits of the different testing protocols.

Edited by marcag 2016-02-28 9:16 AM
2016-02-28 8:54 AM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by slornow

Sounds like everyone is getting some solid training in.  I think it will be an easy day with some active recovery for me.

When is everyone's first triathlon of the season and are you pleased with where you are in preparation?  I now Nicole has already raced a 70.3 but for most of us we are still in the pre-season.

My first A race is an Olympic on July 10th. I am planning to do a sprint on June 26th but more as a tune up for the Oly. I have 19 weeks to my 1st A race from today so last week was my first official week of base training. Looking at the past 6 weeks of my Prep for Base if you will: Bike- (B+) Pretty happy with my build up so far, I have been fairly consistent only missing a few workouts here and there. Run- (C) Meh. Mediocre at best. I have a HM next week which is going to hurt. At this point I'm think I'm going to treat it as a long run. Looking forward to DST when I can run in the daylight after work. Hard to get motivated to run in the dark. Swim- (F) Horrible. I did swim twice last week. Making a commitment to get out of bed and to the pool. I'm actually meeting some friends for a swim this afternoon so it will be a good start on the week. Weight loss- (C+) Down 6 pounds in the last 6 weeks. It would be a higher grade but at least half of that number was in the 1st week. Need to get back to MyFitnessPal.
2016-02-28 10:27 AM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Extreme Veteran

Only race officially on the books is a HIM in June.

But I have a series of 10mile TTs starting early April. I'll probably do them every 2 weeks a) as a VO2max workout b) to test some aero c) to test CP.

I can swim a 1500m at our provincial champs end of April. I should do this but I know myself and I won't want to the day before.

I may do a 10km run early May if I can get some consistent track work in. I have "something" going on with my hip/groin. Best case it's a bit of a pull, worst case I have a hernia.

I have a 70mile road "race". It's a big event, all climbing and I've done it a few years with a buddy. It's 2 weeks before my HIM so a good test of HIM power ability.

After my HIM there are probably 2 Olys that I'll do and I am on the fence for a fall HIM.
2016-02-28 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Yeah, I'm doing things a little backwards this year  Thanks to a stress fracture last year and a busy work schedule this summer....but trying to make the best of it.

I have a 10k in a few weeks, a 5k about a month later, a 40k TT in June, and Santa Cruz 70.3 in September.  There's a local 70.3 in November that I may race, but I won't decide on that till probably after Santa Cruz.  

I'll also be spectating Galveston 70.3 and IMTX, which is almost like racing  

2016-02-28 1:14 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
That does make a difference. If there was a clearing effort before then chances are his 20min is slightly lower than he would have done fresh. Now it depends how hard he really went on the clearing effort.

This is why I dislike the 5 + 20 same day since a) people don't pace the 5 properly b) a 2 separate day protocol gives more insight

If it's a good number then I would probably do an all all 1min test rather than the 3-5' test. If it's a low ball number I would do the 3-5' test. More than happy to look at the numbers in private or as a group if we're interested and debate the merits of the different testing protocols.

I don't think the 5 min clearing effort is worth anything in this case. It certainly wasn't an all-out effort - Trainerroad gave me a target of 241W and I held 244W for the 5-minute effort. They seemed to characterize it as a test-run before the 20 min test to get a sense for wattage, cadence, gearing, and that's basically what I did.

I've never purposely done an all-out VO2max effort... Trainerroad says my best 5-minute power was 251 during some workout back in January (my best 1-minute power is 302W during that same workout). It's safe to say I have no good data with which to gauge that type of effort. I'll put that on my "to-do" list.
2016-02-28 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I don't think the 5 min clearing effort is worth anything in this case. It certainly wasn't an all-out effort - Trainerroad gave me a target of 241W and I held 244W for the 5-minute effort. They seemed to characterize it as a test-run before the 20 min test to get a sense for wattage, cadence, gearing, and that's basically what I did.

I've never purposely done an all-out VO2max effort... Trainerroad says my best 5-minute power was 251 during some workout back in January (my best 1-minute power is 302W during that same workout). It's safe to say I have no good data with which to gauge that type of effort. I'll put that on my "to-do" list.

The math says you could hold 310 between 3 and 4 minutes. I would go out at 310 and hold on for as long as you could. It will allow you to understand the anaerobic contribution to your efforts and guage where your threshold really is. It's not that bad. 3 to 4 minutes is not nearly as unpleasant as the 20".

Edited by marcag 2016-02-28 1:58 PM
2016-02-28 2:27 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario

In the midst of planning my season right now... pretty much figured out, just the middle that's a question mark. I'm happy with where I'm at coming out of base training and starting a build. 8 weeks of build, 8 weeks of race-specific to be ready to peak at the end of June.

Option 1:
May 29: Sprint
June 25: Sprint
July 10: Oly
August 14: Oly

Option 2:
May 29: Sprint
June 25: Sprint
July 23: Oly
August 14: Oly

The Oly's are my "A" races. Option 1 was my original plan, but I've since realized that the Canadian AG Chamionships are being held in Ottawa this year. Mulling over whether I want to stick with my plan to do the smaller Oly on July 10 and shoot for an overall podium spot, or take part in the national championship experience and most likely get my kicked.
2016-02-28 8:05 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
April 4, Paris Marathon

April 18, Boston Marathon

July 24, The Battle of Waterloo, a ten stage race, with running, biking and swimming at various intervals (40+ miles?) You have to carry your shoes and your goggles with you the whole race. I am probably going to swim in my shoes....... Sounds like that is the fastest solution (maybe), toe clips on my bike. Might do the whole thing in a speedo..... it is that kind of race :-)

August 14, Steelhead 70.3 (although I have not signed up yet)

September 25, IM Chattanooga

I'll probably do some additional local sprints and olympic races as they fit in the schedule.
2016-02-28 8:23 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
The math says you could hold 310 between 3 and 4 minutes. I would go out at 310 and hold on for as long as you could. It will allow you to understand the anaerobic contribution to your efforts and guage where your threshold really is. It's not that bad. 3 to 4 minutes is not nearly as unpleasant as the 20".

Trainerroad had a 5 minute test, so that's what I did tonight:
 photo 5minMAXtest_zpsbwkrirnw.jpg

I tried to hold 310 but it got pretty brutal after the 3 minute mark. I think I went blind over the last 30 seconds. The result is that my new 5 minute power is 301W. What does this tell me about my FTP/CP?

2016-02-29 6:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I tried to hold 310 but it got pretty brutal after the 3 minute mark. I think I went blind over the last 30 seconds. The result is that my new 5 minute power is 301W. What does this tell me about my FTP/CP?

Nice job. Plugging into the CP calculator it gives a W' of 24.8kj and a CP of 218w

CP is not bound to a fixed duration, it's the power you can conserve for a 'long time', but you can caculate a 60min power and it would be 225.2w

So for you it sounds like the 95% formula works pretty well which is a very good thing to know. 95% formula would have you at 227 I believe.

Your 5' number is more a proxy of your VO2max. Your FTP and CP are more of an indicator of your ability to hold a good percentage of VO2max. If you use the roof / ceiling analogy, your VO2max is your roof, your FTP is the ceiling, at one point you have to raise your roof if your ceiling is getting too close.

I looks like you have room to raise both. If you raise your roof through VO2 intervals your ceiling will probably followi, so you may be able to hold the same % of a higher VO2max. If you work a lot at threshold, you will be able to push the ceiling closer to the roof. You don't have an obvious imbalance, which is a good thing to know as you work through the season. But as you get close to your race I would be raising my ceiling because that's where you race

It looks like the comment of "the math says you could hold 310 3 to 4 minutes" wasn't far off.

For me, just an opinion, but I find having the 2 numbers provides much more insight into our strength and weakness. I say that a lot and I mean it. We can see the areas were the lowest hanging improvement fruit is. Or the areas that will be hard to improve and require a well thought out plan.

Knowing your 10km run times would be interesting to see how far off your bike numbers they are

If you are using Golden Cheetah plug those numbers in (CP and W').

Edited by marcag 2016-02-29 6:38 AM
2016-02-29 6:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The Oly's are my "A" races. Option 1 was my original plan, but I've since realized that the Canadian AG Chamionships are being held in Ottawa this year. Mulling over whether I want to stick with my plan to do the smaller Oly on July 10 and shoot for an overall podium spot, or take part in the national championship experience and most likely get my kicked.

To me, and a very personal opinion, Canadian AG champs hands down. I much prefer to be a small fish in a big pond.

A top 10 in your AG will get your to worlds. Even a top 15 will with roll down

And when will you ever get a chance to swim in Dow's lake ? :-)
2016-02-29 8:47 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks Marc. I'll plug those numbers into GC (still learning the ins and outs of the software). I hadn't ever really worried too much about VO2Max numbers since as a triathlete I figure the threshold work is what counts, but the ceiling/roof analogy is interesting, and it's true that more data yields a clearer picture of things.

I can't say I've ever really been tempted to swim in Dow's Lake, but apparently it's a relatively healthy body of water and the NCC does a good job of monitoring water quality. I've done a few tris over at Mooney's Bay, so it's basically the same water. Qualifying for worlds isn't really a priority for me since there's pretty much zero chance I'd go (cost and scheduling issues), but it would be cool to qualify nonetheless. I've raced and beaten WC qualifiers before so I do have some sense of what it takes. My goal time of 2:20 would have put me top 3 AG in Magog last year, though I understand that's a hilly bike course so maybe those bike splits are faster than they look. I'm a little concerned the swim could end up being non-wetsuit legal which would really handicap me since I'm significantly faster with a suit.

But I am leaning towards doing the champs. I've got that second Oly in August where I can get my overall podium, and it would be nice to be in a real competitive race and measure myself against some of the better AG athletes in the country.
2016-02-29 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Marc. I'll plug those numbers into GC (still learning the ins and outs of the software). I hadn't ever really worried too much about VO2Max numbers since as a triathlete I figure the threshold work is what counts, but the ceiling/roof analogy is interesting, and it's true that more data yields a clearer picture of things.

I can't say I've ever really been tempted to swim in Dow's Lake, but apparently it's a relatively healthy body of water and the NCC does a good job of monitoring water quality. I've done a few tris over at Mooney's Bay, so it's basically the same water. Qualifying for worlds isn't really a priority for me since there's pretty much zero chance I'd go (cost and scheduling issues), but it would be cool to qualify nonetheless. I've raced and beaten WC qualifiers before so I do have some sense of what it takes. My goal time of 2:20 would have put me top 3 AG in Magog last year, though I understand that's a hilly bike course so maybe those bike splits are faster than they look. I'm a little concerned the swim could end up being non-wetsuit legal which would really handicap me since I'm significantly faster with a suit.

But I am leaning towards doing the champs. I've got that second Oly in August where I can get my overall podium, and it would be nice to be in a real competitive race and measure myself against some of the better AG athletes in the country.

Magog is a tough tough course. Guys that are 2:15 to 2:20 on a regular course are 2:25 to 2:29 at Magog. It's about 10min. That's based on my numbers and 2 guys that are pretty consistent. It's harder than Tremblant as well

The canal water is the same as Moody's bay but much less weed. They do pull it out of the canal.

The Ottawa race should be a fast bike and run given how flat it is.

2016-02-29 11:06 AM

User image

New user
New Hampshire

Nice job. Plugging into the CP calculator it gives a W' of 24.8kj and a CP of 218w

CP is not bound to a fixed duration, it's the power you can conserve for a 'long time', but you can caculate a 60min power and it would be 225.2w

So for you it sounds like the 95% formula works pretty well which is a very good thing to know. 95% formula would have you at 227 I believe.

Your 5' number is more a proxy of your VO2max. Your FTP and CP are more of an indicator of your ability to hold a good percentage of VO2max. If you use the roof / ceiling analogy, your VO2max is your roof, your FTP is the ceiling, at one point you have to raise your roof if your ceiling is getting too close.

I looks like you have room to raise both. If you raise your roof through VO2 intervals your ceiling will probably followi, so you may be able to hold the same % of a higher VO2max. If you work a lot at threshold, you will be able to push the ceiling closer to the roof. You don't have an obvious imbalance, which is a good thing to know as you work through the season. But as you get close to your race I would be raising my ceiling because that's where you race

It looks like the comment of "the math says you could hold 310 3 to 4 minutes" wasn't far off.

For me, just an opinion, but I find having the 2 numbers provides much more insight into our strength and weakness. I say that a lot and I mean it. We can see the areas were the lowest hanging improvement fruit is. Or the areas that will be hard to improve and require a well thought out plan.

Knowing your 10km run times would be interesting to see how far off your bike numbers they are

If you are using Golden Cheetah plug those numbers in (CP and W').

So pulling the numbers from GC my 5 min. peak power from 2/9 is 234w and my 20 min. peak power from 2/13 is 199w. If I plug the numbers into the calculator I come up with a CP of 186 watts and a W' of 14kj. So how do I now analyze those numbers? Does it have something to do with the CP curve in GC?

2016-02-29 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenSprocket

So pulling the numbers from GC my 5 min. peak power from 2/9 is 234w and my 20 min. peak power from 2/13 is 199w. If I plug the numbers into the calculator I come up with a CP of 186 watts and a W' of 14kj. So how do I now analyze those numbers? Does it have something to do with the CP curve in GC?

do those numbers come from tests or from simple rides ?
2016-02-29 11:35 AM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
I have a question about gearing on the trainer. It seems when I'm trying to do "sweet spot" efforts on the trainer I get stuck in between gears. When I'm trying to hit around 165 to 170 watts I either have to spin at around 80 RPM in one gear or low 90's in the next gear. Of course my self selected cadence on the trainer seems to be right around 85 RPM. I'm not opposed to doing high/low cadence work, I would just like it to be on my terms not out of necessity. I have a 10 speed with 50/34 on the front. The rear cassette is a 11/27T. I do have a 12/25T that came with the bike that I could throw on there. Also not opposed to buying a different cassette just for the trainer. I have the tools to swap them out and am fairly comfortable making the derailleur adjustments. I did have to shorten the chain when I went from 52/38 and 12/25 to 50/34 and 11/27 so I'm not sure if that will become an issue.
Any thoughts?
2016-02-29 11:37 AM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Tests. Although I might have sandbagged the 5 minute on a bit.
2016-02-29 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by GoldenSprocket I have a question about gearing on the trainer. It seems when I'm trying to do "sweet spot" efforts on the trainer I get stuck in between gears. When I'm trying to hit around 165 to 170 watts I either have to spin at around 80 RPM in one gear or low 90's in the next gear. Of course my self selected cadence on the trainer seems to be right around 85 RPM. I'm not opposed to doing high/low cadence work, I would just like it to be on my terms not out of necessity. I have a 10 speed with 50/34 on the front. The rear cassette is a 11/27T. I do have a 12/25T that came with the bike that I could throw on there. Also not opposed to buying a different cassette just for the trainer. I have the tools to swap them out and am fairly comfortable making the derailleur adjustments. I did have to shorten the chain when I went from 52/38 and 12/25 to 50/34 and 11/27 so I'm not sure if that will become an issue. Any thoughts?

Are you in the big chain ring or the small when trying to hit that power?  If you use the opposite chain ring, can you find a gear that works around your self-selected cadence?

What type of trainer do you have?  Can you adjust the resistance on there?  For example, I use a Kurt Kinetic trainer, so I could do an extra turn when tightening the flywheel. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 57257 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.