BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-11 11:11 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by rrrunner

Okay, I am over a week recovered (physically and mentally) from my 50k. The "what's next" thoughts have been haunting/lingering/tormenting since before the race. My overall, yet vague, decision is to train for a 50 mile run race this fall while also training for my metric century ride in October. Then I would, at some point, transition to IM training for a race sometime in 2017.

Choosing a 50 miler has been difficult, mostly because of schedule conflicts. I've narrowed it down to half a dozen or so and sent the list to DH. Those range from late September to early December.

Then deciding on an IM my top 3 are, mostly because of ease of travel, IMAZ, Boulder, and IMTX. I fear course changes or even cancellation of IMTX based on the last couple years. Coach Michi favored Boulder, Coach Scott favored IMAZ.

Thinking out loud. Anyone else want to help me brainstorm? 

ETA: I've also considered hiring a coach for either or both of these segments.

All three of those have a good chance of being at least somewhat hot, though there is always a chance of weather happening. IMAZ tends to be one of the two hardest to get into (with Florida) as they have been the flattest (and therefore most desirable) courses. Texas might go up and down some, but never really struck me as being truly hilly. Boulder will have some hills, but not really crazy like you might think from that location. Boulder also has the altitude, though I don't know if that would be an issue for you? Not as much as for others?

Also consider the time of year you would be training. Most like getting in their long stuff outside, as they should How well will you be able to get in a 4, 5, or 6 hr ride in the heavier training period? How about the 2 hr runs? This will be the 2-3 month period leading into the race.

2016-05-12 10:02 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by marysia83 Dilemma of the month (and the month has just started... ehh...): SWIM COACH. I would love to have a swim coach for gazzilion number of reasons. Somebody I really trust in the field of triathlon and long-distance swimming recommended me this woman a while ago and I am dreaming of getting the training with her. But... The cost of one hour is $90. My understanding is I would need at least three meet-ups and probably at least 2-3 follow ups. So that's ~$450. I am taking my kids to Poland for a vacation this summer and it will be pretty costly (you don't wanna know how much I had to pay for airfare... :/) My car is acting funky and if I need another repair - here comes another cost. I am on single income and already spent tons of money just for races' registrations. So no, I do not have another $300+ in my budget for something that I *might* need. At the same time... I am trying to figure out if maybe I should suck it up and try somehow to have those lessons/training. Yes, I can do it next year, but I was thinking that since I am just learning freestyle, it would be great to learn proper technique from the very beginning. My goal this year is 1,500 m of Oly distance. I currently swim at 2:30 min/100y. According to my research and "strategy plan" I will be able to make the distance, and worst case scenario: I will switch styles with breast and back, and finish swim in over 45 minutes. So it's not catastrophic. But then, if she helps me - then she would help me for life and that's priceless. Or am I being too romantic...? Let me know what you think. Especially those of you who are coaches (Yanti!!!). If i should post a details of the trainer I am talking about, please let me know. Thanks, as always, for your feedback!

Hi Mary. The group idea does sound like a good option, if possible. Also wondering if you had considered a masters program? There is one based right in Northwestern and others all over the place between there and Chicago. The Illinois site is here. The NW specific one is here. For the few places I've looked at (and the one I've been in) they tend to be ~$100 for a 3 month block, or averaging something like $30-35/month. The one I went to had a couple All-America level swimmers or AAAA motivation times, but also worked with some swimming 3:00+/100. We swam at speed appropriate for where we were at and people got along great across the board. The coach was great, taking any questions before practice, during the early goings and afterward. It's not 1 on 1, but could still get a fair amount of attention. Other places can vary from this, but it is possible to get some good coaching from them.

Another name I've heard come highly recommended is Mary Bradbury, although pricing may go back up to what you had found if that's not who you were looking at already. I haven't worked with her at all, but a recommendation from ST's deserdude is often good enough to check out.

Hi Ben,
thanks so much for all the helpful and valuable information. The Northwestern Masters Swim is what I was looking at, because they practice in the same pool I swim during my lunch break so super convenient! I am trying to talk to the coach, but apparently she keeps running away from me. I talked to one of the ladies in the locker room to get some details and her overall opinion, and she said they usually do around 4k and I should be around 2k if I want to join.... I still thought I should talk to the instructor and just explain her where I am and how the workout would look like with a newbie in the group. Janyne has also encouraged me explaining the master class is not only for pros
Apparently I was under the impression that the coach is the go-to person for working on the form, and the Masters' class to work on speed and/or endurance. I was wrong
2016-05-12 10:03 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by melbo55

Okay, I am over a week recovered (physically and mentally) from my 50k. The "what's next" thoughts have been haunting/lingering/tormenting since before the race. My overall, yet vague, decision is to train for a 50 mile run race this fall while also training for my metric century ride in October. Then I would, at some point, transition to IM training for a race sometime in 2017.

Choosing a 50 miler has been difficult, mostly because of schedule conflicts. I've narrowed it down to half a dozen or so and sent the list to DH. Those range from late September to early December.

Then deciding on an IM my top 3 are, mostly because of ease of travel, IMAZ, Boulder, and IMTX. I fear course changes or even cancellation of IMTX based on the last couple years. Coach Michi favored Boulder, Coach Scott favored IMAZ.

It seems from a little quick research that IMAZ and IM Boulder are two very different animals.  

Boulder bike description: "The 112 Mile multi-loop course is entirely within Boulder County and features amazing mountain views with some of the same roads trained on by many of our local world champion triathletes. The course has a handful of decent climbs but has a lot of fast and flat sections to keep you moving."

IMAZ bike description: "The relatively flat three-loop course heads out of Tempe and zig-zags out to the Beeline Highway, which gradually climbs approximately 10 miles through the Sonoran Desert to the turnaround just before Shea Boulevard. Athletes then return to Tempe Beach Park to start their second and third laps."

Boulder run description: "This is a two loop course with 3 out and backs on each loop. We call it the "Flux Capacitor”. This course features everything about Boulder we love. A well shaded bike path and plenty of spectator viewing points for your family and friends. There will be aid stations approximately at every mile."

The run for IMAZ is listed as: "The run course is flat and spectator-friendly with a few small rollers, as athletes wind their way around Tempe Town Lake and through Papago Park. Athletes should be sure to pack a visor or hat in their T2 bags, as the course offers very little shade."

* All quotes taken from the respective official IM website course description

Which one appeals to your strengths?  It sounds like a bit of cool (I'm guessing, or at least not scorching) vs hot, hilly vs. flat.

If it were me making the decision, it would be Boulder all the way.  

ok I know I'm way late to the conversation - did anyone mention elevation? I skied in Colorado and coming from 600' above sea level it was not easy the first few days. Just a thought. And the other discussion on the new B2B, I'm considering it for Oct 2017 - so keep that in the back of your head. It's worth it just to see ME!

Elevation is not really a concern as I live/work higher or as high as any North American IM.

B2B is a real possibility at this point. ESPECIALLY if DS2 gets orders to stay on the East Coast.

then I vote Boulder!

I vote Boulder! But of course I'm doing it in 12 weeks so....Guess I can let you know how it goes
I can't wait for your race! I saw the pictures from IM Boulder and it looks so neat it will definitely be on my IM list whenever I get to IM training (in hundred years..)
2016-05-12 10:11 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by melbo55

It seems from a little quick research that IMAZ and IM Boulder are two very different animals.  

Boulder bike description: "The 112 Mile multi-loop course is entirely within Boulder County and features amazing mountain views with some of the same roads trained on by many of our local world champion triathletes. The course has a handful of decent climbs but has a lot of fast and flat sections to keep you moving."

IMAZ bike description: "The relatively flat three-loop course heads out of Tempe and zig-zags out to the Beeline Highway, which gradually climbs approximately 10 miles through the Sonoran Desert to the turnaround just before Shea Boulevard. Athletes then return to Tempe Beach Park to start their second and third laps."

Boulder run description: "This is a two loop course with 3 out and backs on each loop. We call it the "Flux Capacitor”. This course features everything about Boulder we love. A well shaded bike path and plenty of spectator viewing points for your family and friends. There will be aid stations approximately at every mile."

The run for IMAZ is listed as: "The run course is flat and spectator-friendly with a few small rollers, as athletes wind their way around Tempe Town Lake and through Papago Park. Athletes should be sure to pack a visor or hat in their T2 bags, as the course offers very little shade."

* All quotes taken from the respective official IM website course description

Which one appeals to your strengths?  It sounds like a bit of cool (I'm guessing, or at least not scorching) vs hot, hilly vs. flat.

If it were me making the decision, it would be Boulder all the way.  

ok I know I'm way late to the conversation - did anyone mention elevation? I skied in Colorado and coming from 600' above sea level it was not easy the first few days. Just a thought. And the other discussion on the new B2B, I'm considering it for Oct 2017 - so keep that in the back of your head. It's worth it just to see ME!

Elevation is not really a concern as I live/work higher or as high as any North American IM.

B2B is a real possibility at this point. ESPECIALLY if DS2 gets orders to stay on the East Coast.

then I vote Boulder!
I vote Boulder! But of course I'm doing it in 12 weeks so....Guess I can let you know how it goes
. I can't wait for your race! I saw the pictures from IM Boulder and it looks so neat it will definitely be on my IM list whenever I get to IM training (in hundred years..)

Boulder is a stunning city and is very supportive of athletes. It has a great "vibe".

I've spoken with people who had great things to say about IM Boulder, and some that were less than enthusiastic.  As was mentioned before, they've changed the bike course so hopefully that will help with some of the bad aspects.

2016-05-12 12:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Tomorrow is the kids tri for which I volunteer each year. I'm looking forward to it. It's so much fun to watch the kids race, even worth dealing with the 'rents

I also just volunteered to help out at a local ultra next weekend. That should also be fun. The ultra community is soooo laid back!!!

ETA: Sixlets and coffee can be lunch, right? I REALLY need to get back to training!

Edited by rrrunner 2016-05-12 12:22 PM
2016-05-12 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Tomorrow is the kids tri for which I volunteer each year. I'm looking forward to it. It's so much fun to watch the kids race, even worth dealing with the 'rents

I also just volunteered to help out at a local ultra next weekend. That should also be fun. The ultra community is soooo laid back!!!

ETA: Sixlets and coffee can be lunch, right? I REALLY need to get back to training!

Nice work!

2016-05-12 12:38 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I don't know if any of the Manatees have been following along the cluster that IMTX 2016 has become. First the bike course was redone due to construction.  No worries because it was still 112 miles and relatively similar elevation profile.  Then the bike course was re-redone because of the flooding in the Houston area.  No longer 112 but 94 miles.  Now the swim course was redone -- like yesterday for an event that takes place this week.  The water quality in the canal was not swim-worthy so it will be in the lake and, you guessed it, the bike course was re-re-done and is now 95 miles.  Yikes!

I think that it's one of those don't worry about the stuff that you can't control/everyone will be doing the same course things but still...

Thinking of you Sean and Monica!

2016-05-12 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

I don't know if any of the Manatees have been following along the cluster that IMTX 2016 has become. First the bike course was redone due to construction.  No worries because it was still 112 miles and relatively similar elevation profile.  Then the bike course was re-redone because of the flooding in the Houston area.  No longer 112 but 94 miles.  Now the swim course was redone -- like yesterday for an event that takes place this week.  The water quality in the canal was not swim-worthy so it will be in the lake and, you guessed it, the bike course was re-re-done and is now 95 miles.  Yikes!

I think that it's one of those don't worry about the stuff that you can't control/everyone will be doing the same course things but still...

Yeah, it's a mess. I feel for the athletes. I think IM finally agreed to let athletes transfer to another race but that's a tough call to make so close to race day.

2016-05-12 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I don't know what sixlets are, but coffee and anything can be lunch!

Nice of you to do all that volunteering! I agree, the ultra and trail community is really cool! 

2016-05-12 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yeah, it's a mess. I feel for the athletes. I think IM finally agreed to let athletes transfer to another race but that's a tough call to make so close to race day.

It's pretty much an empty gesture at this point. It'll be fine but I do feel for the athletes.  Who needs the added stress and background noise?

2016-05-12 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

UGH!  I agree it would be hard to not do this race after training so hard for so long, so I imagine most will do it and make the best of it.  I assume with a shortened course no one can qualify for worlds, which wouldn't be an issue for me, but I imagine that is another thing some people will have to consider. 

2016-05-12 12:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Nice of you to do all that volunteering! I agree, the ultra and trail community is really cool! 

Hands, is The Google not working for you?

sixlets

P.S. TJ, "gluten free" means it's healthy, right?

Edited by jmkizer 2016-05-12 12:48 PM
2016-05-12 12:49 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

UGH!  I agree it would be hard to not do this race after training so hard for so long, so I imagine most will do it and make the best of it.  I assume with a shortened course no one can qualify for worlds, which wouldn't be an issue for me, but I imagine that is another thing some people will have to consider. 

Nope, Kona slots are still up for grabs.

2016-05-12 1:01 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Ugh, as if IM triathletes needed more stress over housekeeping issues :/
2016-05-12 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

sixlets

so, M&Ms without the M!

User image

Denver, Colorado

sixlets

Omg than you Janyne, becase I thought sixlets were a set of "twins" but six of them, and not two (like triplets, quadruplets, etc...) and that TJ was watching them in the prep for tomorrow's race ;p
But then, I did not have my coffee yet today

User image

Master
Orlando

Interesting.

2016-05-12 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

sixlets

so, M&Ms without the M!

Ummm.  Chocolate FLAVORED, not chocolate.  Basically, I just wanted to post a picture of candy.  Also, I though that maybe they were more of a midwestern type thing than a FL type thing.

2016-05-12 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Interesting.

What's worse is that IMTX is the North American Championships this year. Not only are there Kona slots but there are extra slots due to it being a championship dealy.

If I were the WTC, I'd be highly embarrassed.  If I were an athlete participating in the event, well, you can only race the course that you're given.

2016-05-12 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

sixlets

so, M&Ms without the M!

Ummm.  Chocolate FLAVORED, not chocolate.  Basically, I just wanted to post a picture of candy.  Also, I though that maybe they were more of a midwestern type thing than a FL type thing.

wanna be M&Ms!    Yeah, I've never heard and or seen them before.  I'd say they are making me want candy, but I'm drinking a mocha right now, so I'm good!!

2016-05-12 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Interesting.

What's worse is that IMTX is the North American Championships this year. Not only are there Kona slots but there are extra slots due to it being a championship dealy.

If I were the WTC, I'd be highly embarrassed.  If I were an athlete participating in the event, well, you can only race the course that you're given.

Yikes!

2016-05-12 2:09 PM

Master
Northern IL

sixlets

so, M&Ms without the M!

wanna be M&Ms!    Yeah, I've never heard and or seen them before.  I'd say they are making me want candy, but I'm drinking a mocha right now, so I'm good!!

Being in the midwest ... I duno WTH those things are.

2016-05-12 2:23 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

sixlets

so, M&Ms without the M!

They were one of my favorite candies as a kid. Hadn't seen them in forever when I stumbled across them at the convenience store where I was getting milk for my coffee this morning .  They are called Sixlets because they used to come in small packs of, you guessed it, six candies. The shell is thinner than M&Ms and actually has more flavor, and the "chocolate" is sweeter.

2016-05-12 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Interesting.

I can see how some participants might feel there is an * next to their IM finish with this one. Granted, you race what you are given and it is still a heck of an accomplishment!!!!!!!!! However, if it were me I don't know if I'd still sport the 140.6 stuff.  DH and I were talking about it and he joked about having the M-dot tattoo 90% filled in.

2016-05-12 2:41 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I can see how some participants might feel there is an * next to their IM finish with this one. Granted, you race what you are given and it is still a heck of an accomplishment!!!!!!!!! However, if it were me I don't know if I'd still sport the 140.6 stuff.  DH and I were talking about it and he joked about having the M-dot tattoo 90% filled in.

I can see how some people would feel the * as well, but to me, you race the course you're given. IMMD had a shortened swim in 2015 after being rescheduled. And Chatt always has a long bike course (what is it...116?) even though the medal still says 112. I think the part about TX that really frosts my butt this year is the way they've handled everything. People talk about being willing to pay big bucks for the IM brand race b/c they know it will be a good event....but this year's IMTX is not making a good impression.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.