Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2008-04-01 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1307754

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: owl_girl's Group --- FULL!

sdbryant - 2008-04-01 8:38 AM Hi everyone! Wow, it's APRIL! I have a sort of busy month (yet not as busy as June and July). My first tri of the season is on Saturday. Beaver Freezer at OSU. Tracey, I think you've done it? It's a 500y pool swim (not sure how excited I am about a pool swim), 12mi bike, and 5k. Yesterday it snowed and this morning I had to scrape ice off my windshield. So I'm trying to figure out how to stay warm during the race without wasting a ton of time in transition... Next Saturday is an annual extreme whitewater race at a local river. Since I haven't been in my boat for ages, I'm not competing. But the last section of the river has several waterfalls that are also the end of the race. This feeds into a reservoir where you have to paddle 1.5 miles out to the road access. Since I'm not paddling DOWN river, I'm thinking I might SWIM up the reservoir to the river. That way I would get a workout in and still be able to watch the race (my sweetie-pie is competing). It would be 3miles round trip, first OWS of the year, and COLD. The Sunday after that is an 8k run. And then 2 weeks after that is the first century ride of the year. Whew!

Holy cow, girl!!!  You do have a busy month!!!!

No, I have never done the Beaver Freezer.  The registration closed before I got signed up this year.  You're gonna do fine.  Get yourself some of those arm warmers for the bike ride.  That way you can push them down if you find yourself getting overheated.  They really help and they are easy to yank off before you begin your run.  You might also want a light neck gaiter if it is going to be really cool.  Again....easy to yank off.

2008-04-01 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1307188

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
owl_girl - 2008-04-01 6:06 AM

Good morning everyone!  I'm hearing crickets around here.  How does everyone's April look?  I know Nicole is going to be doing a tri.  (You're going to do great, too!)  What about the rest of you?  Have a great day!

Mostly just ramping up the training, I have a 5k on the 20th that will be a fun one. I did it about 5 years ago when I couldn't run a mile straight, so looking forward to running the course. Other than that I'm going to be looking for other races to do, but I can't plan too far ahead since I'm not sure what city I'll be in. Nicole and Sarah you're going to do great on the tris. I'm kinda jealous, cause my first tri isn't until June I am going to attend a tri training clinic that my gym is offering though. It'll be Wed & Thurs nights for the next 10 weeks. I won't be able to attend all the sessions because of travel, but should still be able to get alot out of it.

2008-04-01 6:25 PM
in reply to: #1092958

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
my april is just training . thats it but i planned it that way just to get all the last tune ups in before FL 1/2 IM may 18 . i was gonna slip in to that other OLy but i got a guard drill that weekend so unless it dont happen im not gonna make that race . i did get on the amaz. atoms april challenge group. but as FL goes it rains here from now till sept. and today it started . storms rolled in at noon and it might rain the rest of the night . so its gonna be a in the pool during the dark morning . thats whats sucks about down here if you dont get things in before noon you might not ever that day . i think its about time to start looking at a trainer for my bike not just for the rain but hurricane season is not far off .
2008-04-02 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1307984

User image

Elite
far northern CA
roni_runnw - 2008-04-01 9:40 AM
owl_girl - 2008-04-01 6:06 AM

Good morning everyone!  I'm hearing crickets around here.  How does everyone's April look?  I know Nicole is going to be doing a tri.  (You're going to do great, too!)  What about the rest of you?  Have a great day!

Mostly just ramping up the training, I have a 5k on the 20th that will be a fun one. I did it about 5 years ago when I couldn't run a mile straight, so looking forward to running the course. Other than that I'm going to be looking for other races to do, but I can't plan too far ahead since I'm not sure what city I'll be in. Nicole and Sarah you're going to do great on the tris. I'm kinda jealous, cause my first tri isn't until June I am going to attend a tri training clinic that my gym is offering though. It'll be Wed & Thurs nights for the next 10 weeks. I won't be able to attend all the sessions because of travel, but should still be able to get alot out of it.

The tri clinic sounds like a lot of fun!  I wish we had stuff like that around here.  There are only a handful of us around here that do tris.  We are blessed to have a retired professional triathlete (Mike Pigg) that helps us with all sorts of issues.....if we just ask him.  He helped my husband with his bike fit and he has helped me with my swim stroke.  I wish I could keep up with him on the bike.  I know I could learn a lot.  Anyway, pass on any info that you learn from your clinic if you think it might help us.

You're so lucky to be able to travel around so much!  I was thinking of you and your swim teather when I was away last week.  Where do you get those things?

2008-04-02 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Good morning everyone!

Roni - a tri clinic sounds awesome! We had a mini one at my gym last month where we mostly learned about efficient transitions and different types of gear. We worked on race nutrition a little too, but that was mostly "different things work for different people, so you have to find what works for you." I haven't had to think much about that with the shorter races, but will need to work on that this summer in prep for longer distances. Let us know what you learn.

Shaun - I never even thought about having to train around hurricanes! That makes me feel silly for complaining about the rain/snow we've been having in the Pac NW.
2008-04-02 11:20 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Lets talk about clothing.  (This has been going through my head since Sarah asked about cold weather stuff for her race.)  What do you guys wear during a triathlon?  What do you like and what have you decided does not work for you?  Why?

2008-04-02 11:45 AM
in reply to: #1310675

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Yes!!!
My BIGGEST gripe is that I have tried on a gazillion tri tops and they are all so SHORT! I'm not very modest, but I just cannot run through the race with my belly bouncing out and about. I think part of the problem is that I have big "girls", so shirts end up being about 4 inches shorter on me than most people. And plus sizes end up being too big around. Sigh...

I have found some tri shorts that I love so much that I would wear around all the time if people wouldn't look at me funny. One pair is Sugoi and does not have leg grippers. They are fairly short, but are so comfy that I don't care if my thighs are overly displayed. The other pair are Danskin (the new black ones with blue flowers on the sides) and even though they have grippers, the sausage effect isn't as bad as some others.

owl_girl - 2008-04-02 9:20 AM

Lets talk about clothing.  (This has been going through my head since Sarah asked about cold weather stuff for her race.)  What do you guys wear during a triathlon?  What do you like and what have you decided does not work for you?  Why?
2008-04-02 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1310754

User image

Elite
far northern CA

sdbryant - 2008-04-02 9:45 AM Yes!!! My BIGGEST gripe is that I have tried on a gazillion tri tops and they are all so SHORT! I'm not very modest, but I just cannot run through the race with my belly bouncing out and about. I think part of the problem is that I have big "girls", so shirts end up being about 4 inches shorter on me than most people. And plus sizes end up being too big around. Sigh... I have found some tri shorts that I love so much that I would wear around all the time if people wouldn't look at me funny. One pair is Sugoi and does not have leg grippers. They are fairly short, but are so comfy that I don't care if my thighs are overly displayed. The other pair are Danskin (the new black ones with blue flowers on the sides) and even though they have grippers, the sausage effect isn't as bad as some others.

I hear ya sista!!!!!  I'm in that boat!  I really despise those short tops!  I just recently started looking at tri suits.  The built-in bra has no support.  Zip!  Zilch!  Nada!  I'd have to wear a normal sports bra with one of those things!  I'm still tossing the idea around, though.  I wouldn't have to keep pulling my shirt down or hike up my shorts!  Sheesh!

As for shorts, I really "Shebeast", "Sheila Moon", and "Zoot".  The first two don't squeeze your belly or legs and the last one is just comfortable.

2008-04-02 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
i like LG and zoot . i got some pearl izumi shorts but only train in them and a bunch of tops . im looking for something new to wear to the FL race . i hope power tri has the cloths ready they are gonna send me some and its gonna be Sougi which i like too . i got a top from fleet feet and it fits like a charm .
my thing is the races that guys cant take tops off . its at them i would almost wear one of your guys little tri tops . i got a crank sports sprint top i like but they dont zip down. heck when i buy tops if they go down to the shorts there to long i think. but whats funny is we dont have many people who do tri's around here so when i do bricks i change from riding cloths to just running shorts and shoes . just cause i dont want people yelling to me . but hey it works im still out the door in under 4 min.
but you guys need other things in a top (support) then i do so i thought i would put in my 2 cents and sit this one out .

one thing i was gonna ask . swim skins ?? anyone have one or have used one . just cause the water temps next month at the HIM there looking at 82* . i was gonna get one when i got my wetsuit but im looking at the 2xU any thoughts
2008-04-02 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
sarah you had me rolling when i started reading this then to see tracy in on it i was cracking up at you guys !!

but i do like the shorts with leg gripper the LG i got dont have them and i thought they would ride up but they dont . im also a fan on 8in shorts but i will wear the 6in . its just the 6in make me look like i got shorts on from the girls at hooters .
2008-04-02 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1311859

User image

Elite
far northern CA

mac3116 - 2008-04-02 3:02 PM sarah you had me rolling when i started reading this then to see tracy in on it i was cracking up at you guys !! but i do like the shorts with leg gripper the LG i got dont have them and i thought they would ride up but they dont . im also a fan on 8in shorts but i will wear the 6in . its just the 6in make me look like i got shorts on from the girls at hooters .

Are they orange?????

2008-04-02 7:12 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I've got a triathlon coming up in less than two weeks. For this area, this is early season and it is likely to be cool (the water is almost guaranteed to be cold). I normally do triathlon in a tri top and shorts but I'm expecting that I may need to wear a jacket for the ride. I think it will be too much trouble to try to pull on tights so hopefully I'm be able to get by without. I'm not sure what else I should plan on.
2008-04-02 11:36 PM
in reply to: #1310602

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

owl_girl - 2008-04-02 9:45 AM   I was thinking of you and your swim teather when I was away last week.  Where do you get those things?

I got mine from swim-in-place.com. It takes a little getting used to, but works really great when you only have access to a small pool.

2008-04-03 12:06 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
So... I went to the first class of my tri clinic. It was in the pool cause Wed is swim and Thursday is bike (no mention of run... weird). Mostly I signed up for this clinic to meet other people who tri, since I don't really know anyone around here that does, and to learn whatever I can from it while getting a good workout. It was advertised as a way to get in shape for the sprint tri the gym is having in June, so I expected it to be pretty beginner. Don't get me wrong, I've only done 1 sprint and know I have alot to learn still, but getting in shape to be able to do the distance of a sprint tri is something I did last year. After a year of pretty good training (thanks to BT) being able to complete the distance is no longer a question, now I want to complete the distance WELL. The coach for the swim portion is the same one that does my fitness swim class, and she's great. I've learned a ton from her, but I don't think she's ever done a triathlon. Tonight I basically just swam on my own, since the majority of people there were just trying to learn to swim properly. She said she would bring in a different workout next week for me and 2 other people to do, so we'll see how it goes next week. Tomorrow is cycling and I don't know the guy teaching it but have heard he's done triathlons. Anyway, it's always fun working out with others!
2008-04-03 12:15 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
As far as clothing goes, I've only done the 1 tri and I was pretty new to all this so I just wore my pearl izumi bike shorts and champion sports bra, then threw on a tank top (cotton even!) for the bike lol. I have a pair of  zoot tri shorts now that I have done some of my training in and they're pretty comfortable, but a little longer than I think I will like in the Summer. So, thanks for bringing this topic up, Tracy, because I'm getting lots of good suggestions from you guys. Though I wish I had just a little of your and Sarah's problem with the "girls", since I started training and lost weight mine have nearly vanished LOL.  
2008-04-03 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1312122

User image

Elite
far northern CA

MDHillSlug - 2008-04-02 5:12 PM I've got a triathlon coming up in less than two weeks. For this area, this is early season and it is likely to be cool (the water is almost guaranteed to be cold). I normally do triathlon in a tri top and shorts but I'm expecting that I may need to wear a jacket for the ride. I think it will be too much trouble to try to pull on tights so hopefully I'm be able to get by without. I'm not sure what else I should plan on.

I looked at the race website.  It begins later in the morning (lucky girl) so you should be ok with shorts.  You could always get a pair of leg warmers and arm warmers for the bike ride.  They are easy to pull on and off and will give you a little extra warmth.  You could also try a cover for your helmet to cut the wind from chilling your wet head.  Again, easy to remove and stuff in your pocket......or down your shorts.

2008-04-03 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1312508

User image

Elite
far northern CA

roni_runnw - 2008-04-02 10:06 PM So... I went to the first class of my tri clinic. It was in the pool cause Wed is swim and Thursday is bike (no mention of run... weird). Mostly I signed up for this clinic to meet other people who tri, since I don't really know anyone around here that does, and to learn whatever I can from it while getting a good workout. It was advertised as a way to get in shape for the sprint tri the gym is having in June, so I expected it to be pretty beginner. Don't get me wrong, I've only done 1 sprint and know I have alot to learn still, but getting in shape to be able to do the distance of a sprint tri is something I did last year. After a year of pretty good training (thanks to BT) being able to complete the distance is no longer a question, now I want to complete the distance WELL. The coach for the swim portion is the same one that does my fitness swim class, and she's great. I've learned a ton from her, but I don't think she's ever done a triathlon. Tonight I basically just swam on my own, since the majority of people there were just trying to learn to swim properly. She said she would bring in a different workout next week for me and 2 other people to do, so we'll see how it goes next week. Tomorrow is cycling and I don't know the guy teaching it but have heard he's done triathlons. Anyway, it's always fun working out with others!

Do you get to take your tri bike tonight?  Maybe he will be able to look at it and give you some fit pointers?

2008-04-03 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1313112

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Haha, that reminds me... last night after work I swam and then did some time on the trainer. I decided to just shower at home instead of the gym. So when I got home I was in my bike shorts and a tank top. I was unloading stuff from the car and didn't have any pockets to put my keys in, so I stuffed them (temporarily) down my bike shorts. Fast forward to an hour later when I just could not find my keys anywhere. I thought, "well, I'll look for them when I get out of the shower." I walk into the bathroom, take off my shorts, and the keys fall onto the floor.

owl_girl - 2008-04-03 8:35 AM

You could also try a cover for your helmet to cut the wind from chilling your wet head.  Again, easy to remove and stuff in your pocket......or down your shorts.

2008-04-03 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1313120

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
owl_girl - 2008-04-03 9:37 AM

Do you get to take your tri bike tonight?  Maybe he will be able to look at it and give you some fit pointers?

Tonight is going to be indoor cycling, but after that they said it should be outdoors. And, it doesn't look like I'm going to be going to Salem (where I was hoping to get a fitting) after all. They keep changing my DH work schedule, so I hadn't gone yet, and now it looks like he'll be going to Grand Coulee, WA. Definitely no one that can help me there. I've been reading up on it though, and I actually think my frame is too big for me to get a proper fit, but still beats the heck out of my hybrid.

2008-04-03 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1313112

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
owl_girl - 2008-04-03 11:35 AM

MDHillSlug - 2008-04-02 5:12 PM I've got a triathlon coming up in less than two weeks. For this area, this is early season and it is likely to be cool (the water is almost guaranteed to be cold). I normally do triathlon in a tri top and shorts but I'm expecting that I may need to wear a jacket for the ride. I think it will be too much trouble to try to pull on tights so hopefully I'm be able to get by without. I'm not sure what else I should plan on.

I looked at the race website. It begins later in the morning (lucky girl) so you should be ok with shorts. You could always get a pair of leg warmers and arm warmers for the bike ride. They are easy to pull on and off and will give you a little extra warmth. You could also try a cover for your helmet to cut the wind from chilling your wet head. Again, easy to remove and stuff in your pocket......or down your shorts.

Did you see the water temperature estimate? 56F-63F!!! I'm assuming I'm gonna be cold coming off the swimming and need to warm up during T1 and the ride.

2008-04-03 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Nicole, you're wearing a wetsuit, right? Brrr...

2008-04-03 11:24 AM
in reply to: #1313214

User image

Elite
far northern CA
MDHillSlug - 2008-04-03 9:11 AM
owl_girl - 2008-04-03 11:35 AM

I looked at the race website. It begins later in the morning (lucky girl) so you should be ok with shorts. You could always get a pair of leg warmers and arm warmers for the bike ride. They are easy to pull on and off and will give you a little extra warmth. You could also try a cover for your helmet to cut the wind from chilling your wet head. Again, easy to remove and stuff in your pocket......or down your shorts.

Did you see the water temperature estimate? 56F-63F!!! I'm assuming I'm gonna be cold coming off the swimming and need to warm up during T1 and the ride.

The wetsuit will help.  At Pacific Crest last year, the water temp was 62 and the air temp was 30 at the beginning of the swim.  I was very happy to get in the water!  I was very cold when I got out of the water.  I just focused on getting my transition done and on that bike where I could warm up.  The hardest part was putting my socks on since I was shivering so much.  On the bike, I had to put a hand next to my belly to warm my fingers.  Before long, I was fine.  You'll be fine, too.

2008-04-03 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Are you doing Pacific Crest this year??? I'm signed up for the Oly. My bf and I will get there Thursday night or Friday morning and leaving on Monday. We're staying with a friend until Saturday, and then we have a room at McMenamins in Bend the rest of the time. I can't wait!

Anyway, if you're going, let me know! And if you need a place to stay in the Portland area at all on the way through, we've got room.
2008-04-03 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1313308

User image

Elite
far northern CA

sdbryant - 2008-04-03 9:41 AM Are you doing Pacific Crest this year??? I'm signed up for the Oly. My bf and I will get there Thursday night or Friday morning and leaving on Monday. We're staying with a friend until Saturday, and then we have a room at McMenamins in Bend the rest of the time. I can't wait! Anyway, if you're going, let me know! And if you need a place to stay in the Portland area at all on the way through, we've got room.

Thanks Sarah!

We are still tossing around the idea of doing Pacific Crest this year.  We had a great time last year.  It is a lot of fun.  We are definitely going to do Deschutes Dash in Bend on July 20.  (I'm doing the sprint.)  You should think about doing it, too.

2008-04-03 12:01 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Average April air temp for the race local is 41-69. Yes, Sarah, I will be wearing a wetsuit (I might even try swimming in it once before the race).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Group --- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 40