BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-10-04 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2442175

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
tahrens - 2009-10-04 7:45 PM Hi all.  Most importantly  CONGRATULATIONS JOHN!!!  Was she really born on the 2nd?  Then she shares my birthday.  That is so cool!   

Congratulations on all the race registrations.

Had a lovely time with Sam and Tony at dinner this weekend.  Then they ran so fast I never saw them at the race.  Just me and 23,000 of my closest friends.  Left calf is hurting a lot still.  This has me quite worried.  But my run went very well. Garmin average pace was 9:47 and there were 2 9:30 miles in there.  I was almost taken out  by a medic trying to cross the road. She tripped my feet and thank goodness Doug was in front of me b/c  I completely fell into him.  Some guy was all decked out in a pimp outfit handing out beer cups on the last half mile in.  It was a great time.  Goal was 1:40 and I just got it in at 1:39.  Next year it is 1:30 all the way!!!!

Awesome job on the race.  It's so nice to hit a goal.  You didn't see us at the race b/c we got to the corrals literally 3 min. before the race started.  LOL

It was great to have dinner w/ you and Doug on Sat.  Take care of the leg. 

2009-10-04 8:16 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
tahrens - 2009-10-04 7:45 PM Hi all.  Most importantly  CONGRATULATIONS JOHN!!!  Was she really born on the 2nd?  Then she shares my birthday.  That is so cool!   

Had a lovely time with Sam and Tony at dinner this weekend.  Then they ran so fast I never saw them at the race.  Just me and 23,000 of my closest friends.  Left calf is hurting a lot still.  This has me quite worried.  But my run went very well. Garmin average pace was 9:47 and there were 2 9:30 miles in there.  I was almost taken out  by a medic trying to cross the road. She tripped my feet and thank goodness Doug was in front of me b/c  I completely fell into him.  Some guy was all decked out in a pimp outfit handing out beer cups on the last half mile in.  It was a great time.  Goal was 1:40 and I just got it in at 1:39.  Next year it is 1:30 all the way!!!!

Nice job Tracy!  Now that you love running I have no doubt you will hit that 1:30 goal.  Please take care of that calf.  I am nursing a sore ITB and am being really careful for a change.  You have a lot to accomplish yet this year!
2009-10-04 9:07 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Nice job! Way to beat your goal!

2009-10-04 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2441991

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

dalessit - 2009-10-04 6:14 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-10-04 3:45 PM
sdalessio - 2009-10-04 12:30 PM Hi everyone - Tony and I are back from the race and more importantly breakfast.  I had an awesome race.  My pace was right in b/t my "in my dreams" pace and my real goal pace so I was very happy.  I think I did the race at 8:21 miles but I need the official results to be sure.  Off to the couch now, RR to follow later.

Nice work out there!  And did you crush the man?

Doug, given your season, I am pretty sure you can eat the course and not the other way around!

LOL, for 10 miles according to the Garmins she got my by 2 seconds, according to official results it was more like 13, so not sure what is going on with the results, their numbers don't match anything I have.

She ran a great race, lol, I came up on her at one point and looked at my watch and was doing 8:15 to keep up and had to drop to 8:00 to pass.  Seriously I debated, hmm, keep my training pace and let her go, or training be damned and see how hard I could push it to run past her ; )

My garmin had me at an 8:21 pace, was supposed to do 8:30's so was really happy with that, did what I was supposed to do.

Schooled by the missus??  {{Shakes head}}

Seriously - way to stick to the plan!

2009-10-05 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Champion

Bouncy 8 I'm excited..........my ace bike man/friend is coming over in two hours to see if a p4 will fit me.  If it works, we would basically buy the frame and he would build it up from there.

2009-10-05 7:55 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
tahrens - 2009-10-04 8:45 PM Hi all.  Most importantly  CONGRATULATIONS JOHN!!!  Was she really born on the 2nd?  Then she shares my birthday.  That is so cool!   

Great job Tracy, yeah I debated grabbing a beer from him.  There were women on the other side of the road handing out beads, I was going to lift my shirt up to get some but was on the wrong side of the road, closer to the beer pimp.

2009-10-05 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2442597

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
SSMinnow - 2009-10-05 7:31 AM

Bouncy 8 I'm excited..........my ace bike man/friend is coming over in two hours to see if a p4 will fit me.  If it works, we would basically buy the frame and he would build it up from there.

WHAT????  A P4???  MAKE IT FIT!!!!!!!
2009-10-05 8:22 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

haha.  thanks!! .  yup you two share the same big day.  very cool! 

suzy.  i think that p4 in a 61" will fit you nicely. might seem a hair big but just ride it until April.  then if it doesn't work you can just give it to me. 
2009-10-05 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2442641

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2009-10-05 7:55 AM
Great job Tracy, yeah I debated grabbing a beer from him.  There were women on the other side of the road handing out beads, I was going to lift my shirt up to get some but was on the wrong side of the road, closer to the beer pimp.

not following here....  whats to debate?
2009-10-05 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2442705

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-10-05 9:26 AM

HAHA I keep waiting to have a crappy race or one where I am just out having fun, then I will drink.  They were giving out beer at my 1/2 marathon but I was working on getting under 2 hrs so didn't want to stop.  Was working on a good pace yesterday same.  If they have it at the Turkey trot I plan on doing, I will grab a drink.
2009-10-05 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2442715

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2009-10-05 8:29 AM
fattyfatfat - 2009-10-05 9:26 AM

HAHA I keep waiting to have a crappy race or one where I am just out having fun, then I will drink.  They were giving out beer at my 1/2 marathon but I was working on getting under 2 hrs so didn't want to stop.  Was working on a good pace yesterday same.  If they have it at the Turkey trot I plan on doing, I will grab a drink.

mile 13 at the mcm.  that was a good beer.  wife and friends met us there to hand em' out.  favorite "race" though was a 5k in galveston.  keg in the shopping cart. not a pr day... but still fun. started off with 7or 8 of us.  by the end we had an entourage.

edit... sounds like you guys had a great weekend up there. very nice

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-10-05 8:40 AM

2009-10-05 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Okay guys, I have a really crappy dilemma.  My left calf.  It started hurting quite a bit at the beginning of September with calf and Achilles tendon pain.  So I took most of September off of long runs to let it heal.  This past week I jumped back into the training and the pain is back.  The DC thinks I have micro tears in the calf muscle and scar tissue (hence why it feels like a knot).  He says it is a combination of skeletal misalignment and muscle damage and they are exasperating each other.  He is working on the alignment and helping to breakup the scar tissue - but here is the dilemma.  Beach 2 Battle is in 5 weeks and the bulk of my distance training is hitting now.  So if I take the time off the long runs to let the muscle heal I go into B2B totally unprepared, but if I continue with the training I risk being in severe pain and possibly not being able to even walk the marathon.  I know you guys aren't doctors but I need to organize my thoughts and get some advice from fellow athletes. What would you guys do?  I am thinking about finding a PT or sports doctor and getting their opinion as well.  Any good healing tips beyond stretching, rolling, and RICE?  THIS REALLY SUCKS!!!!

2009-10-05 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2442747

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2009-10-05 9:44 AM

Okay guys, I have a really crappy dilemma.  My left calf.  It started hurting quite a bit at the beginning of September with calf and Achilles tendon pain.  So I took most of September off of long runs to let it heal.  This past week I jumped back into the training and the pain is back.  The DC thinks I have micro tears in the calf muscle and scar tissue (hence why it feels like a knot).  He says it is a combination of skeletal misalignment and muscle damage and they are exasperating each other.  He is working on the alignment and helping to breakup the scar tissue - but here is the dilemma.  Beach 2 Battle is in 5 weeks and the bulk of my distance training is hitting now.  So if I take the time off the long runs to let the muscle heal I go into B2B totally unprepared, but if I continue with the training I risk being in severe pain and possibly not being able to even walk the marathon.  I know you guys aren't doctors but I need to organize my thoughts and get some advice from fellow athletes. What would you guys do?  I am thinking about finding a PT or sports doctor and getting their opinion as well.  Any good healing tips beyond stretching, rolling, and RICE?  THIS REALLY SUCKS!!!!

I would do that.  If they say the same thing, let it heal and do the race a bit undertrained.  It's only one race, no sense in hurting yourself over one race.
2009-10-05 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2442824

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2009-10-05 9:14 AM
tahrens - 2009-10-05 9:44 AM

I would do that.  If they say the same thing, let it heal and do the race a bit undertrained.  It's only one race, no sense in hurting yourself over one race.

+1

Tracy its time to go to the doc.  This has been bothering you for a while and from what I'm reading you have the potential to either walk the marathon or complete it in pain and then who knows what else.  Is this really what you want to do?  And Disney is 2 months later.  Get that thing looked at by an MD. 

And if you can't run B2B you might be able to still swim it.  You should be able to find someone around to run for you. 

2009-10-05 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2442747

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2009-10-05 8:44 AM

Don't train through the pain!  I did that last year and it took me almost a year to recover.  I still am slower and more prone to injury as a result of it.  A race is just a race, you live with your body forever.

Having preached enough, I would set up an appointment with a sports med doc who actually is an endurace athlete.  I would also recommend you asking him about prolotherapy to see if there might be a benefit to it.  I used it for my last injury successfully and am going in for the injections for my ITB this week.  ART or Graston also might be a good alternative, but I would probably wait to make sure the doctor rules out anything major. 

And yes, it does suck.....
2009-10-05 10:04 AM

User image

Expert
B'ham
Nice job racers!!  Especially Tony - I'm not sure I could choose plan over pride or plan over beer - so nice work on both fronts.

I had my first DNF this weekend.  Actually more like a DNS - the 5k I was going to do with my daughter in the jogging stoller started out right next to the play area at the park.  We didn't get a chance for her to get some slide and swing time in before the race and running away from the park resulted in a full-on category 5 meltdown.  At least the entry fee went to a good cause.

Tracy - you probably don't need to hear it again, so I'm just going to recommend you heed the advice from Tony, John and Suzy.

Some sad news on the family front.  My uncle passed away yesterday morning.  He'd been in a wheel chair since the age of 4 due to Polio and had been dealing with a lot of Post-Polio Syndrome issues the last several years, still unexpected though.  Through everything life threw at him, he had the best sense of humor and zest for life.  I learned a great deal from him about taking life's challenges head on.   It probably sounds cheesy, and I would have thought so before yesterday too, but I really felt like he was with me on my mtb ride - something he never had the opportunity to do.

2009-10-05 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Matt,  I am very sorry about your Uncle.   I know what you mean about the feeling on the bike ride. I spent a lot of time thinking about my Dad at the Army run this weekend.  It is a nice comfort to think our loved ones are with us and sharing experiences.  Keep the love alive. 
2009-10-05 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2442854

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

SSMinnow - 2009-10-05 9:29 AM
tahrens - 2009-10-05 8:44 AM

Don't train through the pain!  I did that last year and it took me almost a year to recover.  I still am slower and more prone to injury as a result of it.  A race is just a race, you live with your body forever.

Having preached enough, I would set up an appointment with a sports med doc who actually is an endurace athlete.  I would also recommend you asking him about prolotherapy to see if there might be a benefit to it.  I used it for my last injury successfully and am going in for the injections for my ITB this week.  ART or Graston also might be a good alternative, but I would probably wait to make sure the doctor rules out anything major. 

And yes, it does suck.....

x2 - there is pain like muscle soreness from exertion and then the type that doesn't go away...  sounds like this is the latter....  go to the sports doc sooner rather than later - they are much more knowledgeable...

2009-10-05 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2442705

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-10-05 8:26 AM

Trevor, did you hear that?  You have to come down to do the olympic in Galveston now - I want to see you dressed up as the beer pimp handing beer out to your MG peeps at mile 69.8....  That would be too cool...  BTW - we would pay it forward on Saturday - at mile 5.7 of the olympic run...

2009-10-05 10:53 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Matt- THIS SUCKS!  So sorry to hear that news.... Your uncle sounded like a trooper!

Tony/Sam/Tracy- Way to go at the 10 milers.... I think I would have gone w/ the beer though Tony!

Tracy- Everyone is on the same page.  Go to the Dr.  I would also see if you can get a deep tissue massage by a professional!!  They hurt, but it may work wonders.... Also PT, get some electro-stimulus!  Don't make it worse by working out on it.  Just make Doug run the whole race.... Or have Tony/Sam take your spot. 

Chris- Very cool in signing up for IMKY... (sent you a pm).

Chet- I hope your training is going well and you are feeling good for B2B!!?!?

Suzy- P4?  That doesn't suck.  Just buy a 48, and add spacers to the drop bars... Make it fit !!!
2009-10-05 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2443065

User image

Champion
swbkrun - 2009-10-05 11:53 AM Matt- THIS SUCKS!  So sorry to hear that news.... Your uncle sounded like a trooper!

Tony/Sam/Tracy- Way to go at the 10 milers.... I think I would have gone w/ the beer though Tony!

Tracy- Everyone is on the same page.  Go to the Dr.  I would also see if you can get a deep tissue massage by a professional!!  They hurt, but it may work wonders.... Also PT, get some electro-stimulus!  Don't make it worse by working out on it.  Just make Doug run the whole race.... Or have Tony/Sam take your spot

Chris- Very cool in signing up for IMKY... (sent you a pm).

Chet- I hope your training is going well and you are feeling good for B2B!!?!?

Suzy- P4?  That doesn't suck.  Just buy a 48, and add spacers to the drop bars... Make it fit !!!

lol, I thought about that but that is same day of OBX marathon so Sam and I will be there for her race.

2009-10-05 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2443126

User image

Champion
Virtual Tri #2?

When should we do this?  December? 
2009-10-05 11:16 AM

User image

Champion
I'm a big girl now!

Still have a few details to iron out, but my ace bike guru can make it happen.....

2009-10-05 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2443134

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2009-10-05 12:16 PM I'm a big girl now!

Still have a few details to iron out, but my ace bike guru can make it happen.....

Sweet.
2009-10-05 11:20 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Very sorry to hear this Matt.  Sounds like your uncle had an incredibly positive influence on you which is very cool. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383