BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 80

2012-05-31 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4212573

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod

Kirstin, sorry YOU have to deal with the violence too. YUCK!

TJ- Yes, head down and RUN! My sister even got me some pepper spray now hahaha

Janyne- Thanks! Big hugs back! Yeah, a hell of a week but you can bet I will have a full report of this chicken, with pictures! 

Melanie- Thank you! I have my head in the right place and I WILL enjoy the evening.

Kirk- This place is actually called, "Chicken and Whiskey" I know it's not a brewery but, you know, related anyhow. Sadly I don't really like Whiskey though. 

Chris- I dunno, I am pretty sure it is deep fried to hell so it might be along the same lines as YOUR chicken Wink I'll let you know though.

Felicia- OOOOMMMMMGGGG so glad someone else references Portlandia! I love that show SO much. I CAN assure you, the chicken IS local Wink

Thanks for all of the support guys! It's all good, I'm a Manatee...we just keep truckin' along no matter what. 

2012-05-31 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4237654

User image

Elite
Asalzwed - 2012-05-31 2:32 PM

Janyne- Thanks! Big hugs back! Yeah, a hell of a week but you can bet I will have a full report of this chicken, with pictures! 

Melanie- Thank you! I have my head in the right place and I WILL enjoy the evening.

Kirk- This place is actually called, "Chicken and Whiskey" I know it's not a brewery but, you know, related anyhow. Sadly I don't really like Whiskey though. 

Chris- I dunno, I am pretty sure it is deep fried to hell so it might be along the same lines as YOUR chicken Wink I'll let you know though.

Felicia- OOOOMMMMMGGGG so glad someone else references Portlandia! I love that show SO much. I CAN assure you, the chicken IS local Wink

Thanks for all of the support guys! It's all good, I'm a Manatee...we just keep truckin' along no matter what. 

Wow shootings and rape suspects - no wonder you run so fast!  Hope you feel safe now.

You guys all rock - so much support and kind words.  I wrote my list of packing and transition requirements etc last night.  All good.

I'm reading the competitor booklet on the train again today and tonight on the way home and possibly in bed too!

I changed the front tire last night - just for practice, deflated took the tube out, put it back re-inflated again.   All good, didn't take long.  I then thought I'd take the back wheel off just for a laugh!  And yes took an age to get it back on - well probably ten minutes all up off and on.  But I find it so frustrating - I get the chain over where it should be then the wheel drop outs don't drop back in easy.  Wow.

This morning before my shower I tried on my new wetsuit - went on perfectly (quite a slimming look!).  My main concern was how easy it would come off my arms as my last one a Speedo (beautiful and went on so easily) used to get stuck on my arms and i'd be running through transition like a penguin.  Anyway my new Rocket Science one, just pulled off no dramas.  good to know and that was on dry skin, I find they slip off easier once oiled up and wet!

We fly up to cairns 6am Sat morning arrive 9.25am - check in for race open til 2pm and for bikes til 3pm so plenty of time to allow for delays and mishaps!  I figure if I forget anything there's a huge expo where I can purchase anything i want - even a bike

Woohoo two more sleeps til race day!!!!! (try not to block the toilet eh Salty?!)

2012-05-31 3:52 PM

User image

Master

Got a short run in at lunch between the rain showers.  Saw a different momma duck and ducklings today so cute lah.  Some intervals on the trainer on the plan for later. 

Anyone besides Jo racing this weekend?

2012-05-31 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4237806

User image

Seattle
jobaxas - 2012-05-31 3:44 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-05-31 2:32 PM

Wow shootings and rape suspects - no wonder you run so fast!  Hope you feel safe now.

You guys all rock - so much support and kind words.  I wrote my list of packing and transition requirements etc last night.  All good.

I'm reading the competitor booklet on the train again today and tonight on the way home and possibly in bed too!

I changed the front tire last night - just for practice, deflated took the tube out, put it back re-inflated again.   All good, didn't take long.  I then thought I'd take the back wheel off just for a laugh!  And yes took an age to get it back on - well probably ten minutes all up off and on.  But I find it so frustrating - I get the chain over where it should be then the wheel drop outs don't drop back in easy.  Wow.

This morning before my shower I tried on my new wetsuit - went on perfectly (quite a slimming look!).  My main concern was how easy it would come off my arms as my last one a Speedo (beautiful and went on so easily) used to get stuck on my arms and i'd be running through transition like a penguin.  Anyway my new Rocket Science one, just pulled off no dramas.  good to know and that was on dry skin, I find they slip off easier once oiled up and wet!

We fly up to cairns 6am Sat morning arrive 9.25am - check in for race open til 2pm and for bikes til 3pm so plenty of time to allow for delays and mishaps!  I figure if I forget anything there's a huge expo where I can purchase anything i want - even a bike

Woohoo two more sleeps til race day!!!!! (try not to block the toilet eh Salty?!)

Sounds like you are SET! More than set! You are super-uber-Set! 

I think you are going to have a fantastic race!

I wasn't going to say anything about the toilet but, you know, since you brought it up...You will be out there a lot longer than a HM and unless you are a plumber, that is just TOO long to be thinking about a clogged toilet! 

2012-05-31 5:21 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Jo, if you can do it without being arrested give Macca a big 'ol {kiwi press} for me.

We'll be watching your progress.
2012-05-31 9:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Goooooooooo Jo!

You are going to have an amazing experience.  Just think of all of us gawking at your training, and you should know you could not have prepared better! Safe travels and racing

2012-05-31 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

It's no HIM, but I"ve got a duathlon (5k, 17 mi, 5k) on Saturday.  Followed by a riding lesson and then off to Boston for the American Craft Beer Fest with old law school buddy, yay!!

2012-05-31 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I wish I knew how to post pictures.  I won a basket of really awesome microbrews tonight at our weekly pub run.  They were auctioning it for the folks who are raising money for Tour de Cure (Diabetes 100 mile ride). 

Salty-sounds like Seattle is the new Detroit. Wink I'm so sorry that your world has been so rocked with violence.  Glad you are safe.  Hope you enjoyed the fried chicken.

So in my need to have a goal or just sit on my lazy butt, I was looking at an all women's half ironman.  I haven't done a tri (and even then only sprints) in over 2 years.   It is 12 weeks away.  I've got the base for the run.  Do you think I have enough time to jump into the middle of a HIM beginner 20 week free plan here on BT?  I would have no time goal,except whatever the time cut off is.   Is 12 weeks enough time to prepare for a HIM or am I just crazy?  

2012-05-31 10:05 PM
in reply to: #4238388

User image

Elite
jogo - 2012-05-31 9:49 PM

I wish I knew how to post pictures.  I won a basket of really awesome microbrews tonight at our weekly pub run.  They were auctioning it for the folks who are raising money for Tour de Cure (Diabetes 100 mile ride). 

Salty-sounds like Seattle is the new Detroit. Wink I'm so sorry that your world has been so rocked with violence.  Glad you are safe.  Hope you enjoyed the fried chicken.

So in my need to have a goal or just sit on my lazy butt, I was looking at an all women's half ironman.  I haven't done a tri (and even then only sprints) in over 2 years.   It is 12 weeks away.  I've got the base for the run.  Do you think I have enough time to jump into the middle of a HIM beginner 20 week free plan here on BT?  I would have no time goal,except whatever the time cut off is.   Is 12 weeks enough time to prepare for a HIM or am I just crazy?  

I would

2012-05-31 11:05 PM

User image

Master

So awhile back, I posted a question in the TT forum about the fact that I noticed when I leaned to one side, pedaling was much easier on one side than the other (in other words, one leg was stronger/put out more power than the other).  I also notice that my left leg fatigues more quickly when biking.  The consensus answer was ride more.  The other day, when I was riding on the trainer, I noticed that I felt as though I was 'reaching' with my left leg on the downstroke.  Didn't notice it on my long ride on the weekend.  Anyway, I paid attention a bit, and it felt like I needed to move my cleat back slightly.  So I did.  Tonight was my first ride since I did that--I think it felt better, but will reserve judgement until I get a couple more/longer rides in.  But, what I also noticed a couple days ago was a HUGE difference in the size of my hip flexors on my right compared to my left.  HUGE.  Like my right kinda bulges (in a good "hey lookit that new muscle" kind of way), whereas my left is kind of non-existent. 

So, long way around to the question--is there anything else I should be doing?  Please don't say one-legged drills unless that is the ONLY way to help this.  If my left leg was 'reaching', will moving the cleat back slightly help?  Is this even a bike issue?  Are your hip flexors used that much, or maybe I am doing something wrong with my right leg on the bike that is causing this?  Thanks for any help from the bikers of the group!

2012-06-01 7:17 AM
in reply to: #4238468

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
bcraht - 2012-06-01 12:05 AM

So awhile back, I posted a question in the TT forum about the fact that I noticed when I leaned to one side, pedaling was much easier on one side than the other (in other words, one leg was stronger/put out more power than the other).  I also notice that my left leg fatigues more quickly when biking.  The consensus answer was ride more.  The other day, when I was riding on the trainer, I noticed that I felt as though I was 'reaching' with my left leg on the downstroke.  Didn't notice it on my long ride on the weekend.  Anyway, I paid attention a bit, and it felt like I needed to move my cleat back slightly.  So I did.  Tonight was my first ride since I did that--I think it felt better, but will reserve judgement until I get a couple more/longer rides in.  But, what I also noticed a couple days ago was a HUGE difference in the size of my hip flexors on my right compared to my left.  HUGE.  Like my right kinda bulges (in a good "hey lookit that new muscle" kind of way), whereas my left is kind of non-existent. 

So, long way around to the question--is there anything else I should be doing?  Please don't say one-legged drills unless that is the ONLY way to help this.  If my left leg was 'reaching', will moving the cleat back slightly help?  Is this even a bike issue?  Are your hip flexors used that much, or maybe I am doing something wrong with my right leg on the bike that is causing this?  Thanks for any help from the bikers of the group!

Kirsten, I hope all has calmed down in your neck of the woods as well.

In regard to the bike question, the first question I have is did you get a fitting? For some reason I think you did that already. The other parts (related) are seat height, saddle position, and cleat position. You played a bit with the cleats and I'm sure the others were addressed by the fitting. Were I you, and you don't want to hear this, I'd try some of those darn one leggers. The objective would be to see what kind of difference I feel between the two sides. Focus on the hips for a bit. then the calves, quads, etc. to see if you are over compensating for one side with the other. Another thought might be your core and shoulders. Your bar height might come into play, or your forward reach (not sure on the proper term there). If the upper body is not working evenly, I would think that would transfer to the lower body as well. When I get tired on the bike I have a tendency to "droop" a bit to the left.

Sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear. And keep in mind that I am far from knowledgable on any of this, but I read the crap out of stuff and try to keep up mentally with you awesome athletes, so I got that going for me. And I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night

2012-06-01 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4238407

User image

Coastal Carolina
jobaxas - 2012-05-31 11:05 PM

I would

x2, 3 months is what I had to do my HIM, relay but the plan was for a twelve week Oly to HIM bridge might want to look at that plan if it is available free.

2012-06-01 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
jogo - 2012-05-31 10:49 PM

Not crazy.  For me the answer is -- how committed are you to getting your riding base built up?

2012-06-01 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Kirsten, here are a few quick suggestions.  Take what you like and leave the rest Wink

• Revisit the bike fitting
  • Single leg drills
  • Pedal in a circle (be sure that you are going 360, not making a square)
  • Do a drill on the trainer where you "scrape the bottom of your shoe).  Then scrape the bottom of your shoe and pull up.  In other words, practice those parts of your stroke
  • Try doing some drills where you decrease your resistance and go with a faster cadence
  • Knowing my issues -- stretch the opposite glute/hip flexor.   Bridges and hip extensions on the balance ball are a start.  Here's an article to get you started (yeah, you've probably seen all of these before)
2012-06-01 8:57 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Salty--you are a big ball of warm fuzzy goo and also one tough batch. Glad you're okay.

Jo B--I and the Manatees are watching and cheering just as you watched and cheered me at IMM.

Jo G--go for it. Why not? You can fake your way through a half iron, and if it's Barb's Race you're thinking of, not only is it an awesome race in a gorgeous setting, they're pretty generous with the time limit.

Kirsten--if there's any way you can go see a sports professional, please do. If there really isn't, there's some stuff I can recommend. There's also stuff I won't recommend, mainly, single-leg drills and really, any kind of pedal stroke drill. Are they harmful? Nope, not at all (unless you're doing single-leg on a stationary/indoor cycler instead of a trainer. Then, they are harmful and NO NO NO). If you love 'em do 'em. But they won't do anything for your imbalance, and there's no evidence that they improve cycling AT ALL. The thing about a genuine imbalance, which is what this sounds like, is that you can't just work one side more. You've got to make both sides work together while allowing the less developed side to catch up.

2012-06-01 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

\

I can't respond to the HIM question, but I just wanted to say congrats on winning the basket of brewskis.

2012-06-01 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
bcraht - 2012-05-31 11:05 PM

I don't know about cycling, but do you think it's possible that one leg is slightly shorter than the other? I know when I threw my right SI Joint out last year, the ortho checked everything over and said that my left leg is slightly shorter than the right. He said it shouldn't interfere with too much, but that I needed to be aware of it. (He didn't recommend orthotics or a lift in the left shoe or anything.)

I also have suspected for a while that just as I have a dominant hand (right) and a dominant eye (left), I also have a dominant leg (right). When I do one-legged drills, I am much smoother and stronger on the right than I am on the left.  (I prefer to breathe to the left in swimming, although I can do both sides, and I had to carry my toddlers on my left hip, never on my right.)

2012-06-01 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4239019

User image

Pennsylvania
KansasMom - 2012-06-01 10:29 AM
bcraht - 2012-05-31 11:05 PM

I don't know about cycling, but do you think it's possible that one leg is slightly shorter than the other? I know when I threw my right SI Joint out last year, the ortho checked everything over and said that my left leg is slightly shorter than the right. He said it shouldn't interfere with too much, but that I needed to be aware of it. (He didn't recommend orthotics or a lift in the left shoe or anything.)

I also have suspected for a while that just as I have a dominant hand (right) and a dominant eye (left), I also have a dominant leg (right). When I do one-legged drills, I am much smoother and stronger on the right than I am on the left.  (I prefer to breathe to the left in swimming, although I can do both sides, and I had to carry my toddlers on my left hip, never on my right.)

This was my thought, too.  I think finding out if one leg is longer than the other would be a good first step, then proceed with 'fixes' from there.

2012-06-01 9:49 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Beer-winning Jo: that is one awesome prize!!  I'm jealous!  Enjoy!

HIM Jo: best of luck, I know you will do great.  Remember to smile, think positive, thank the volunteers, and have fun.  Oh yeah, and do your best!!   can't wait to hear all about your adventures!

2012-06-01 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4238903

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

TriAya - 2012-06-01 9:57 AMJo G--go for it. Why not? You can fake your way through a half iron, and if it's Barb's Race you're thinking of, not only is it an awesome race in a gorgeous setting, they're pretty generous with the time limit.

Oh!  I'm doing Vineman so if you are thinking of that, I'll see you there!  But that's in eight weeks, not 12.

2012-06-01 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4238796

User image

Master
jmkizer - 2012-06-01 6:19 AM

Kirsten, here are a few quick suggestions.  Take what you like and leave the rest Wink

• Revisit the bike fitting
  • Single leg drills
  • Pedal in a circle (be sure that you are going 360, not making a square)
  • Do a drill on the trainer where you "scrape the bottom of your shoe).  Then scrape the bottom of your shoe and pull up.  In other words, practice those parts of your stroke
  • Try doing some drills where you decrease your resistance and go with a faster cadence
  • Knowing my issues -- stretch the opposite glute/hip flexor.   Bridges and hip extensions on the balance ball are a start.  Here's an article to get you started (yeah, you've probably seen all of these before)

Thanks for all the replies on my leg issue.  I do have one leg shorter than the other, but have orthotics.  If anything is out of whack on that front, I know about it immediately when running.  Not having any issues there right now, so must be ok.  To be honest, I never had a 'good' bike fitting.  But since to this point, I wasn't having any problems, I wasn't too worried about it.  Time to look at that I guess, as well as possibly a sports med doc.  I am relatively certain this is a bike issue, because it has only shown up since I started cycling regularly.  Sigh.  I wish I was one of those people who's body just does what they ask it to do without complaint or injury or irregularity. 

2012-06-01 11:04 AM
in reply to: #4239241

User image

Melon Presser
bcraht - 2012-06-01 10:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies on my leg issue.  I do have one leg shorter than the other, but have orthotics.  If anything is out of whack on that front, I know about it immediately when running.  Not having any issues there right now, so must be ok.  To be honest, I never had a 'good' bike fitting.  But since to this point, I wasn't having any problems, I wasn't too worried about it.  Time to look at that I guess, as well as possibly a sports med doc.  I am relatively certain this is a bike issue, because it has only shown up since I started cycling regularly.  Sigh.  I wish I was one of those people who's body just does what they ask it to do without complaint or injury or irregularity. 

I don't think those people exist.

I would start with a comprehensive bike positioning. What part of the country are you in? It's really important that you go by credentials and reputation from OTHER BIKE FITTERS on this one, especially if you may need bike inserts or a wedge. You're going to need a good bike fitting if you plan to keep on biking, no matter what. You may or may not need a consultation with a sports health professional.

2012-06-01 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4239257

User image

Master
TriAya - 2012-06-01 9:04 AM
bcraht - 2012-06-01 10:58 PM

I don't think those people exist.

I would start with a comprehensive bike positioning. What part of the country are you in? It's really important that you go by credentials and reputation from OTHER BIKE FITTERS on this one, especially if you may need bike inserts or a wedge. You're going to need a good bike fitting if you plan to keep on biking, no matter what. You may or may not need a consultation with a sports health professional.

I'm near Vancouver.  How do you go about discovering if the fitter knows what they are doing?  This shop is nearby--how much can you tell from info on a website?

2012-06-01 12:03 PM

User image

Seattle

Coming off of a food coma here...the Chicken was A-MAZING! As were the roasted beats with horseradish and shiso leaf, Shoyu Tombo Poke, Manapua, and Kimchi!!!! Holy goodness!

Anyway, some really good news. My co-worker that got in the bicycle accident is back at work today!!! The poor thing. Her face is totally effed up...she had  got a few teeth broken out and just about all of her top teeth knocked loose but hey, a little jaw surgery and adult braces and she'll be good as new. I told her I can help her pick out some cool colored rubber bands for the braces Smile I know, I'm so sweet. 

She said really, it was just a matter of having done the same ride, so many times and more or less zoning out. It wasn't anything crazy, no car hit her or anything. She just got too close to a column on a bridge and her shifter clipped it, just enough to throw her. 

It's definitely a reminder to me to do my best to be in the present at all times. 

2012-06-01 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4239241

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

bcraht - 2012-06-01 11:58 AM I do have one leg shorter than the other, but have orthotics.  If anything is out of whack on that front, I know about it immediately when running. 

Do you wear your orthotics in your bike shoes?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  

of 80