BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-05-13 10:58 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

Ride with my mate today; she ran whilst I rode, I then did a bit more after to get up to 11 miles. Longest since injury and only a wee twinge at about 10.5 miles...progress!

2020-05-13 1:44 PM
in reply to: #5270100

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Long run today (1:40) in the chilly damp. It was okay—not great, but not awful. It took a long time to get into the rhythm.

Taking the day off from patioing to fix the heat vent that feel off the ceiling on Monday and the dishwasher that decided to stop working on Tuesday (home ownership is really a b!tch sometimes).
2020-05-13 3:51 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by nicole14e

Got in a 3 mile run this morning. Gonna do some abs and handstand practice later, hehe. and maybe some yoga.

When you finally master the handstand - be sure to post it on BT. I'd love to see it!

Will do! Hopefully I can figure out how! I've not been successful in posting much
2020-05-13 3:54 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Today was a walk day for me (it's my rest week) and I managed to squeeze it in between dinner and BT. I had to have something good to report right? I also got in an ab workout session although I think I'm doing a lot of the exercises wrong because my back hurts after I'm done with my session. Luckily I have a telehealth appointment with my PT tomorrow. Hopefully he can get me on the right track.

I took a couple of smll steps towards my goal of completing another century this fall.... I bought Joe Friel's book on Cycling - actually, I got it on Audible so I could listen to it in the car. Hopefully it will help me learn how to ride better because after riding for 11 years I have developed some bad habits.

I also reached out to my former coach (Alan - he used to be in this group and did IMMT with me while he was a member) to see if he could develop some workouts for me to build strength and speed on the bike. My weight makes it nearly impossible for me to run so I've got to find a way to make the most out of my bike.

Day off from work tomorrow + 60 degree temperatures = a ride tomorrow.

Sounds like you're on the right track! Give Alan our best! He is definitely a cycling genius!
Enjoy your ride!!!
2020-05-13 4:06 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen what a week you're having!

Got in a workout from my trainer this morning (so. many. pushups.) and did 20 minutes of core. Will go on a walk in a bit with my roommate to grab food for trivia night.

I have been good the last 3 days. Monday morning I woke up and weighed in at my heaviest ever. I know I had an unhealthy weekend but it felt really awful. I've since dropped 5 lbs and am back where I've been hovering the past few months. Hoping with this trainer that number keeps going down (and stays down!).

Hope everyone is well!
2020-05-14 9:32 AM
in reply to: #5270109

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour of VO2 max intervals followed by a 30’ run. Both felt great.

Sunny and 80F here today—that means patio work! Thunderstorms slated for the next three days, so I’d better be productive!

2020-05-14 9:42 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I was going to run this morning but HOLY MOLY I'm sore. Gonna get a run in tomorrow before I do my trainer workout. Did some yoga this morning instead.
2020-05-14 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hour of VO2 max intervals followed by a 30’ run. Both felt great.

Sunny and 80F here today—that means patio work! Thunderstorms slated for the next three days, so I’d better be productive!

What are VO2 max intervals? Glad you had such a great workout.

Good luck with you patio today - just be sure not to pull something
2020-05-14 12:34 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Gretchen what a week you're having!

Got in a workout from my trainer this morning (so. many. pushups.) and did 20 minutes of core. Will go on a walk in a bit with my roommate to grab food for trivia night.

I have been good the last 3 days. Monday morning I woke up and weighed in at my heaviest ever. I know I had an unhealthy weekend but it felt really awful. I've since dropped 5 lbs and am back where I've been hovering the past few months. Hoping with this trainer that number keeps going down (and stays down!).

Hope everyone is well!

Sorry you were so sore today but I'm glad the scale has been friendly to you. Losing 5 pounds is a major accomplishment and I hope the scale keeps going down. We should do a weight loss challenge during the month of June - that way we could both lose a few punds.
2020-05-14 12:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Another 45 minute ride on the books. Still really frustrated by how slow I'm going (my 18-year-old son is faster than me) but I guess the only thing that will make me go faster is to ride more. Sadly - there seems to be an intensity problem too. I haven't been pushing myself - instead I feel like I have been slogging through my workouts - just putting in the time. I hope that fire grows inside my belly again - I miss it.

On a lighter note - I went to work today to find out that I wasn't on the schedule. So I got a snow day in May. I plan on spending it looking for a bike jersey. After not riding for 2 years - there are so many things I want and need. Since I moved, I've lost track of the box containing my bike jersey so I plan on finding something nice to replace it. The problem is I don't know what I want. I've always had beer themed bike jerseys - but I can't find any good ones. So, I will hunt again today.

Hope everyone is having a good week

PS - I found a Two Hearted Ale bike shirt on line. Jackpot. I celebrated with an hour long walk around some of the paths in the neighborhood.

Edited by Qua17 2020-05-14 5:11 PM
2020-05-15 11:59 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

That is a cool looking top Dave! My favourite non-team jersey is:

Managed 12 miles today which i am pleased with. Have a fab Friyay everyone!

2020-05-15 1:05 PM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

, Vermont
It’s so great to see the activity on here!

@ Dave: so glad to see you on here more and I’m psyched for your century plan! Tell Alan to poke his head in on BT now and again, it would be great to hear from him.
Also, any 18 year old would kick my butt.. they should, they’re 18! Hahaha!

@ Gretchen: I cant wait to see the patio when it’s finished! You will spend so much time on... well, in between all your other house projects and training!

@ Riles: I’m sorry to hear about your job but glad that other things are materializing. I’m hoping you secure something soon and who knows, maybe it turns out even better!

@ Sappho: good job on the pain-free workouts!
2020-05-15 1:07 PM
in reply to: #5270161

User image

, Vermont
@ Nicole: great workouts, wow! Weight loss should come and as you even mentioned, muscle weighs more than fat so you might be stagnant for a while as your muscle is kicking in.
2020-05-15 1:14 PM
in reply to: #5270162

User image

, Vermont
Well, motivation has dropped a bit with my race cancellation but I’m hoping a few smaller local races will be a go so I need to get in gear. I have been working my a55 off at work though and my overnights wind up being only about 10-11 hours. It sounds like a lot, but factor in an hour for transportation, time for food and unwinding to fall asleep and I’m lucky to maybe have 7 hours of rest. If it’s day time “rest” I’m lucky to get 4-5 hours of actual “sleep” a day and by the end of the week I’m just trashed. I just finished a week and am here in KY. I hope to get a trainer ride in today and tomorrow before I start a week long brutal, backside of the clock trip before I finally get to go home to VT on Saturday the 23rd. I do have a couple of apps on my phone for in-room workouts but I need the discipline to do them.
Oh! I aged up this past week and hit the mid-century mark. Ack! Haha. Hubby said we’ll have a bash next year since no one can come this year anyway.
Thank you for posting everyone, it keeps me going and inspires me!
2020-05-15 4:45 PM
in reply to: #5270163

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour run today in the rain. I waited all day for the rain to clear up and finally about 2 it stopped and the radar looked clear. I got about 1/3 of a mile from the house, and it started raining. It wasn’t bad, not too heavy.

In other news, we’ve had a weird weak spot in the floor of our guest bedroom since we moved in. We rarely use that room, so it is totally one of those “out of sight, out of mind” projects. Well...yesterday, my wife went in there for some reason and put her leg through the floor. She’s okay (thankfully), but apparently my next project will be to fix the floor in the guest bedroom and fix the ceiling in my living room.
2020-05-15 5:17 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hour run today in the rain. I waited all day for the rain to clear up and finally about 2 it stopped and the radar looked clear. I got about 1/3 of a mile from the house, and it started raining. It wasn’t bad, not too heavy.

In other news, we’ve had a weird weak spot in the floor of our guest bedroom since we moved in. We rarely use that room, so it is totally one of those “out of sight, out of mind” projects. Well...yesterday, my wife went in there for some reason and put her leg through the floor. She’s okay (thankfully), but apparently my next project will be to fix the floor in the guest bedroom and fix the ceiling in my living room.

Don't forget the velominati's Rule #9: RULE 9: If you are out riding (or running) in bad weather, it means you are a badass.

OMG - so glad your wife is ok - major bummer about your floor/ceiling (is there anything you can't fix? )

2020-05-15 5:18 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sappho96

That is a cool looking top Dave! My favourite non-team jersey is:

Managed 12 miles today which i am pleased with. Have a fab Friyay everyone!

Makes me want to creamsicle!
2020-05-15 5:24 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Well, motivation has dropped a bit with my race cancellation but I’m hoping a few smaller local races will be a go so I need to get in gear. I have been working my a55 off at work though and my overnights wind up being only about 10-11 hours. It sounds like a lot, but factor in an hour for transportation, time for food and unwinding to fall asleep and I’m lucky to maybe have 7 hours of rest. If it’s day time “rest” I’m lucky to get 4-5 hours of actual “sleep” a day and by the end of the week I’m just trashed. I just finished a week and am here in KY. I hope to get a trainer ride in today and tomorrow before I start a week long brutal, backside of the clock trip before I finally get to go home to VT on Saturday the 23rd. I do have a couple of apps on my phone for in-room workouts but I need the discipline to do them.
Oh! I aged up this past week and hit the mid-century mark. Ack! Haha. Hubby said we’ll have a bash next year since no one can come this year anyway.
Thank you for posting everyone, it keeps me going and inspires me!

Happy birthday Jennifer! I hope you had as good a day as possible.

Sounds like you have your hands full with your job these days. Just try to keep sane and get workouts in when you can. 10 minutes of yoga can really settle you down in your hotel room at night.

2020-05-15 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
I went for a walk today because that was what was on my training schedule - but I would have loved to have gotten out on my bike. It hit 80 here today and the weather was sunny and humid. I was so tempted to not follow my training plan. While I resisted the urge - I was glad to be jonesing to go out on a bike ride. It shows that the motivation is finally coming back.

Ride tomorrow. After that, I've got big news to share!

DQ
2020-05-16 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
I went out on my ride today - God what a beautiful day! 70's and sunny. The ride was ok - the first half (with tons of rolling hills) was slow and I averaged around 10 miles per hour... Not good. The second half, I really tried hard to go faster and I picked up my average on the next lap and I managed 12.4 mph. Better. Then I came home and tried to do PT exercises to strengthen my core.

But I am so frustrated right now. Not only am I slow - but I can't get my abs to fire like they are supposed to when I do my exercises. I put in the time - but I'm not feeling the burn on my abs that I have felt in the past. Part of it is that I'm getting instruction over zoom and my PT can't guide my body through the exercises. But the really frustrating thing is that I'm trying so hard but not getting any results. While I plan to meet with my PT again this Wednesday - I'm just frustrated that I can't get the exercises right.

All this frustration makes me want to eat - which is what got me into trouble in the first place. UGH!
2020-05-17 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 I went out on my ride today - God what a beautiful day! 70's and sunny. The ride was ok - the first half (with tons of rolling hills) was slow and I averaged around 10 miles per hour... Not good. The second half, I really tried hard to go faster and I picked up my average on the next lap and I managed 12.4 mph. Better. Then I came home and tried to do PT exercises to strengthen my core. But I am so frustrated right now. Not only am I slow - but I can't get my abs to fire like they are supposed to when I do my exercises. I put in the time - but I'm not feeling the burn on my abs that I have felt in the past. Part of it is that I'm getting instruction over zoom and my PT can't guide my body through the exercises. But the really frustrating thing is that I'm trying so hard but not getting any results. While I plan to meet with my PT again this Wednesday - I'm just frustrated that I can't get the exercises right. All this frustration makes me want to eat - which is what got me into trouble in the first place. UGH!

Sorry for all the frustration on core work - it takes some time to get your body to fire correctly.  After my back surgery even simple stuff felt really weird.   Have you tried just doing planks?  You can start with your knees on the ground and then work up to forearm ones and then push up planks.  It's probably the best core exercise there is, and it is totally neutral spine so there is little injury risk, and the form is really easy to master.

2020-05-17 10:45 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hour of VO2 max intervals followed by a 30’ run. Both felt great. Sunny and 80F here today—that means patio work! Thunderstorms slated for the next three days, so I’d better be productive!
What are VO2 max intervals? Glad you had such a great workout. Good luck with you patio today - just be sure not to pull something

Pain. Agony. 

In all seriousness, VO2 max is where you are maximizing your oxygen processing (that's an oversimplification) but it's basically just sort of an all-out effort from 3-5 minutes in zone 5 HR.  You can also achieve this with slightly lower efforts with REALLY small recoveries. 

Go read Alan's blog / coaching site - he has a ton of info on that stuff.

2020-05-17 10:47 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Agree with Dave re: yesterday.  Perfect day for an outdoor ride, got in about 30 miles around the state park near me.  Did 20 miles on Zwift this morning to get in a 100 mile week. 

It has taken about six months of focused bike training but I'm really starting to see some gains.

2020-05-17 10:50 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 I went for a walk today because that was what was on my training schedule - but I would have loved to have gotten out on my bike. It hit 80 here today and the weather was sunny and humid. I was so tempted to not follow my training plan. While I resisted the urge - I was glad to be jonesing to go out on a bike ride. It shows that the motivation is finally coming back. Ride tomorrow. After that, I've got big news to share! DQ

2020-05-17 11:44 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Well - I finally have some good news to report. First - I lost three pounds this week. While the change on the scale is a major victory so too is the determination I showed this week. It's been a while since I've been this focused on my well-being and it feels good to have accomplished something that I set out to do (lose two pounds this week).

My second piece of good news is that I'm starting a new job tomorrow. As some of you may remember - I'm a teacher or I was a teacher for more than 20 years. But sadly after getting laid off from my last job, I haven't been able to find a job is the education field. So, I switched careers and went into customer service. So, starting tomorrow, I will be working for a company called the Bill Reduction Company and will be negotiating with creditors to get people better rates on their credit cards, cable, internet, cell phone, etc. It's not a great job as the pay sucks but it is a start in the industry and for that I am thankful. So please wish me luck.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 7238 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123