General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-07-21 2:28 PM
in reply to: #1539152

Alabama
Subject: RE: Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France
I realize it's only speculation, and none of it is provable. Just a few thoughts to ponder on that's all.

2008-07-21 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1546152

Alabama
While never being busted under the Bruyneel/Armstrong team, I would think that would be the perfect time to start! Their job was to pull Lance Armstrong up the Alps! I won't ever forget Lance telling Heras multiple times to slow down. Is that proof, of course not. I am not saying that.

While Ulrich and the others were never caught during the Lance period, I think it is very naive to think they were not doping. Again, why would they start doping "after" Lance has retired? Basso, Ulrich and Rasmussen have been under the radar for years and they finally got caught.

My testicular cancer comment... well, that is pretty far fetched... maybe, maybe not. Everyone reacts differently to different things. But Lance had a pretty successful carer before cancer and when he focused on just the Tour:

1992 - Motorola
Settimana Bergamasca (stage 6)
Vuelta a Galicia (Stage 4a)
Trittico Premondiale (Stage 2) (or GP Sanson)
First Union Grand Prix (Atlanta)
Fitchburg-Longsjo Classic (overall, 1 stage win)

1993 - Motorola
World Cycling Champion - UCI Road World Championships
US National Cycling Champion - CoreStates USPRO National Road Championships
Tour de France (Stage 8)
Tour of America (overall)
Trofeo Laigueglia
Tour du Pont (2nd overall, 1 stage win)
Tour of Sweden (3rd overall, 1 stage win)
Thrift Drug Classic
Kmart West Virginia Classic (overall, 2 stage wins)

1994 - Motorola
Thrift Drug Classic
Tour du Pont (1 stage win)

1995 - Motorola
Tour de France (Stage 18)
Clásica de San Sebastián
Paris-Nice (Stage 5)
Tour du Pont (overall, mountains, 3 stage wins)
Kmart West Virginia Classic (overall, 2 stage wins)
Tour of America (overall)

1996 - Motorola
Tour du Pont (overall, 5 stage wins)
La Flèche Wallonne

1997 - Cofidis
Sprint 56K Criterium (Austin, TX)

1998 - U.S. Postal Service Pro Cycling Team
Rheinland-Pfalz Rundfahrt (overall)
Tour de Luxembourg (overall, 1 stage win)
Cascade Cycling Classic
Vuelta a España (4th overall)

Anyways, it's all speculation, no proof. Just an opinion. All in all worth about nothing. But I am an Eddie Merchx fan... now he was the greatest cyclist of all time!

Brooks

Edited by Shaggy 2008-07-21 2:50 PM
2008-07-21 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

Ok, this discussion could go on (and sadly will) forever and the unfortunate thing is that it is impossible to prove a negative.  I could go on forever giving evidence that supports his innocence as there's plenty more that has not been discussed in this thread so far but I think the man himself said it best on the top step of the podium in Paris in 2005:

Armstrong '05
But finally the last thing I’ll say to the people who don’t believe in cycling, the cynics and the skeptics. I'm sorry for you. I’m sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one hell of a race. This is a great sporting event and you should stand around and believe it. You should believe in these athletes, and you should believe in these people"

2008-07-21 3:09 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

One of the reasons I have always given Lance the benefit of the doubt was the fact that he was so close to death from cancer, and why would he literally risk his life afterwards by doping?  He has regular follow-up testing for his cancer.  I would assume that his ocologists would pick up on it if he were doing something to put himself at risk.  I find it hard to believe they would just sit back and ignore it. 

The argument that someone who dominates their sport must be doping is just absurd. 

Mark

2008-07-21 3:47 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
This thread could go on and on, going in circles once, twice, three, four, times. It will never end. Some people will always think Lance doped and like was quoted, I do feel bad for them. But, for the sake of arguement, let's add these names to the list of people who dominated their sport and could have never done so without juicing it up:

Babe Ruth
Cy Young
Jesse Owens
Steve Prefontaine
Joe Brown
Mohammed Ali

Personally, these are individuals who I feel were great athletes in their time. Because of when they played, there is little likelihood that they indeed used steroids or another derivative. But, my barber's mother's friend who once worked for Coors told me they all like a little of the Jesus Juice.

Anyone else like to add someone?

Mike

2008-07-21 4:27 PM

Alabama
Honestly, I hope lance is not ever found guilty. The bicycle ranks 3rd in my life of the things I love the most and Lance has done more for cycling over the past few years than anybody probably ever will. So I am very appreciative to him for that. And not to forget all that he has done for cancer research.

Brooks

2008-07-21 5:37 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
This is an interesting thread - with a lot of speculation surrounding Lance. I don't know if he ever doped, and would certainly like to think that he didn't.

He had impressive career outside the Tdf, but the tour is what defined him - it's also what he decided to define him. No other competitive cyclist prepared in the same manner as Armstrong, and he geared every one of those seven winning seasons around that one race. The Vuelta, the Giro, the classics - they didn't factor in. He either didn't ride them, or used them (win or lose) solely to prepare for the tour.

He is the greatest tour rider in history - but not the greatest cyclist. As others have commented, that is left to Merckx who dominated everything he touched. He was the Cannibal for a reason.
2008-07-21 6:14 PM
in reply to: #1546658

User image

Rollin' Thunder - 2008-07-21 1:47 PM

This thread could go on and on, going in circles once, twice, three, four, times. It will never end. Some people will always think Lance doped and like was quoted, I do feel bad for them. But, for the sake of arguement, let's add these names to the list of people who dominated their sport and could have never done so without juicing it up:

Babe Ruth
Cy Young
Jesse Owens
Steve Prefontaine
Joe Brown
Mohammed Ali

Personally, these are individuals who I feel were great athletes in their time. Because of when they played, there is little likelihood that they indeed used steroids or another derivative. But, my barber's mother's friend who once worked for Coors told me they all like a little of the Jesus Juice.

Anyone else like to add someone?

Mike

Michael Jordan! He was on some kind of super drug that no one else (except maybe Kobe) knows about.
2008-07-21 7:13 PM
in reply to: #1547075

User image

Elite
Boise

cythim - 2008-07-21 6:14 PM  Michael Jordan! He was on some kind of super drug that no one else (except maybe Kobe) knows about.

Off topic but Kobe can't even be compared to MJ. I personally hate MJ and Kobe but Kobe isn't in the same league as MJ (especially after the Championship series. Blow a 20 point lead? MJ would have let that happen over his corpse).

2008-07-21 7:24 PM
in reply to: #1547197

User image

JoshR - 2008-07-21 5:13 PM

cythim - 2008-07-21 6:14 PM  Michael Jordan! He was on some kind of super drug that no one else (except maybe Kobe) knows about.

Off topic but Kobe can't even be compared to MJ. I personally hate MJ and Kobe but Kobe isn't in the same league as MJ (especially after the Championship series. Blow a 20 point lead? MJ would have let that happen over his corpse).

Talent wise they are on the same level, its personality that lifted MJ over Kobe. He was a champion, Kobe is just a chump.
2008-07-21 7:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

I thought that it was common knowledge that Lance's heart is 1/3 bigger than a normal person of his hight (5'10".  He had a report VO2max of 85 and a max HR that was around 200bpm.

The following article explains some points of why he was so good:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0722_050722_armstrong.html

I don't believe that he dopped, but we will never know that for sure?  How do we know that Schleck, or Valverde, Kohl, Vandervelde, Menchov etc... aren't dopping at the moment?

I believe that they have all taken something at some stage that contained some form of banned sustance: however, it's almost impossible to know whether they did it actively to get ahead or just to get over a flu or similar virus whilst training through the winter.

I was once at a tri training camp in Italy and was given some medication by my then coach to help with a flu that I was fighting.  It was on the list of banned substances and I can tell you that I didn't know until after we went riding as I asked him what was in it as I felt so super strong that day.  It's not an excuse if you are a pro, then it's your job to know, but it's also easily done by mistake.

2008-07-22 6:56 AM
in reply to: #1546505

User image

Regular
North Haven
What I think people dont realize is the propper use of HGH would not only lean you out and burn fat but also rebuild muscle that is lost in something like chemo.  Lance is as innocent as Clemens, its all circumstantial however there is enough of it out there to form your own opinions. HGH was undetectable at the time Lance did the tours. Also when you take HGH you retain your gains that you get from it even after you stop taking it. THis is why it is different from steroids. HGH is also very safe to take when done correctly.
2008-07-22 9:58 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
The thing that sucks for Lance (or anyother accused doper) is that they can never prove they didn't do it.  No matter how many test they take with people watching and following them around people who want him to fail will never believe him or the others.  Do I think he doped, No.  Bonds, probably (but did not need to).  Clemens, not really sure but leaning towards no (might have done a little but not that much).
2008-07-22 10:42 AM
in reply to: #1548603

User image

I think LA probably doped. The entire sport of cycling has been dirty at the top. I like LA, and give him a break because he has raised so much money and awareness for cancer research. Even if he did dope, so did his competition, and they didn't have to go through cancer treatements during their prime.

That said, I also think many of the examples defending LA are inappropriate, especially comparing greats from other sports like Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan or Muhammed Ali. Doping was not prevalent in those sports at their peak. Why not compare LA to other greats, such as Barry Bonds or Marion Jones? They both dominated their sport and neither ever failed a test until Bonds was dumb enough to take amphetamines in 2006. Jones may have been tested even more than LA in her career. I don't understand why people keep saying LA never failed a drug test, when so many other athletes passed drug tests and later were caught. He supposedly failed when an old sample from 1999 was tested with a new method to find EPO. I agree it was not proof in a legal sense because of the method of testing, but it is certainly increases the doubt in my mind.

I also don't think my opinion based on those observations make me a troll.
2008-07-22 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1547967

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

Scottywheels - 2008-07-22 12:56 PM
Also when you take HGH you retain your gains that you get from it even after you stop taking it.

Which is why it is really only fair on the other athletes that an athlete caught doping should be banned for life IMO.

2008-07-22 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1547967

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

Edited by tridantri 2008-07-22 10:48 AM

2008-07-22 11:01 AM
in reply to: #1548779

User image

Extreme Veteran
eberulf - 2008-07-22 10:42 AM

I think LA probably doped. The entire sport of cycling has been dirty at the top. I like LA, and give him a break because he has raised so much money and awareness for cancer research. Even if he did dope, so did his competition, and they didn't have to go through cancer treatements during their prime.

That said, I also think many of the examples defending LA are inappropriate, especially comparing greats from other sports like Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan or Muhammed Ali. Doping was not prevalent in those sports at their peak. Why not compare LA to other greats, such as Barry Bonds or Marion Jones? They both dominated their sport and neither ever failed a test until Bonds was dumb enough to take amphetamines in 2006. Jones may have been tested even more than LA in her career. I don't understand why people keep saying LA never failed a drug test, when so many other athletes passed drug tests and later were caught. He supposedly failed when an old sample from 1999 was tested with a new method to find EPO. I agree it was not proof in a legal sense because of the method of testing, but it is certainly increases the doubt in my mind.

I also don't think my opinion based on those observations make me a troll.

Right on.
2008-07-22 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ocean City

I am getting into this conversation late, but I beleive there is no way he did not dope. He was so dominant during his time and all of his closest competitors have come out and admitted to dopeing. He was lucky and never got caught just like ulrich never got caught.

That being said I dont take anything away from his victories, I dont condon dopeing , but everyone else was doing it so how else could he win

2008-07-22 11:43 AM
in reply to: #1548779

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

eberulf - 2008-07-22 11:42 AM I don't understand why people keep saying LA never failed a drug test 

Uh, maybe it's because he never failed a drug test...

Mark

2008-07-22 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1549031

User image

RedCorvette - 2008-07-22 11:43 AM

eberulf - 2008-07-22 11:42 AM I don't understand why people keep saying LA never failed a drug test 

Mark

For some reason, you missed the rest of the sentence. Here you go.

", when so many other athletes passed drug tests and later were caught."
2008-07-22 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
He still never failed a drugs test though.

2008-07-22 1:07 PM

User image

Regular
Lance has been such an inspiration to so many cancer patients that I hope he is never shown to have doped, and I will continue to give him the benefit of the doubt.

However, the thing that will always bother me is this: Lance was so obsessive about every aspect of TDF preparation (pre-riding the course, nutrition, wind tunnel testing, etc.), it's hard for me to see how he could have avoided utilizing something like EPO that can make such a huge difference in this sport. I saw one study showing that EPO can increase some aspects of cycling performance by 54% -- now this was a small study, and not in pro cyclists, so a pro probably wouldn't get that degree of benefit, but still, it would make a significant difference. But if you're obsessing over a few mm of position, or a few gms of weight, how can you ignore something that many (most?) of your opponents are using that increases performance 20-50%?

Please don't shoot me -- I'm a Lance fan, and as I said, he has changed so many cancer patients' lives in positive ways, that I hope he's never shown to have doped.
2008-07-22 1:10 PM
in reply to: #1549354

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

y2kdad99 - 2008-07-22 7:07 PM But if you're obsessing over a few mm of position, or a few gms of weight, how can you ignore something that many (most?) of your opponents are using that increases performance 20-50%?

Because it's illegal and dangerous.

It's the obsessing over mm that gave him that edge over his competition.  You'd never have caught Jan weighing his food and thats the difference between being good and dominant.

2008-07-22 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1549354

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

y2kdad99 - 2008-07-22 2:07 PM Lance has been such an inspiration to so many cancer patients that I hope he is never shown to have doped, and I will continue to give him the benefit of the doubt. However, the thing that will always bother me is this: Lance was so obsessive about every aspect of TDF preparation (pre-riding the course, nutrition, wind tunnel testing, etc.), it's hard for me to see how he could have avoided utilizing something like EPO that can make such a huge difference in this sport. I saw one study showing that EPO can increase some aspects of cycling performance by 54% -- now this was a small study, and not in pro cyclists, so a pro probably wouldn't get that degree of benefit, but still, it would make a significant difference. But if you're obsessing over a few mm of position, or a few gms of weight, how can you ignore something that many (most?) of your opponents are using that increases performance 20-50%? Please don't shoot me -- I'm a Lance fan, and as I said, he has changed so many cancer patients' lives in positive ways, that I hope he's never shown to have doped.

My dad has been such an inspiration to me, that I hope he is never shown to have robbed a bank, and I will continue to give him the benefit of the doubt.

However, the thing that will always bother me is this: My Dad is so obsessive about every aspect of financial preparation (stocks, mutual funds, doing late-night research, etc.), it's hard for me to see how he could have avoided utilizing something like robbing a bank that can make such a huge difference in one's financial standing. I saw one study showing that robbing banks can increase one's net worth by 54% - now, this was a small study, and not in professional bank robbers, so an amateur like my dad probably wouldn't get that degree of benefit, but still, it would make a significant difference. But if you're obsessing over the daily price of a stock, or five basis points, how can you ignore something that many others are doing that increases net worth 20-50%?

Please don't shoot me - save your bullets for when you rob the bank, I love my Dad and he's changed my life in such a positive way, that I hope it's shown that he has never robbed a bank.

Edited by newleaf 2008-07-22 2:12 PM
2008-07-22 2:55 PM
in reply to: #1549207

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
eberulf - 2008-07-22 1:32 PM
RedCorvette - 2008-07-22 11:43 AM

Mark

For some reason, you missed the rest of the sentence. Here you go. ", when so many other athletes passed drug tests and later were caught."
\

I edited it because it was irrelevant.  The fact still is that LA never failed a drug test.    You're implying guilt by association or circumstance.  You have absolutely no facts, i.e., a positive drug test by LA, to support your statement.  Pure speculation on your part.

Is it possible that he doped?  Anything is possible.  But he's consistently denied it and there are no positive test results to prove otherwise.   

As I stated in an earlier post, after being so close to dying, I find it hard to believe that LA would do something stupid to literally risk his life again.  Surviving cancer patients have routine follow-up testing.  It's hard to believe that his oncologists either wouldn't pick up on it if he were doping, or would just stand by and let him do it.

I tend to agree with the view that the physiological changes to his body as a result of the cancer (reduced upper body muscle mass) probably had a significant effect on his cycling performance.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France Rss Feed  

of 6