General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training = How much MORE FOOD can I eat? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-08-15 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1605765

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: IM Training = How much MORE FOOD can I eat?
jazz82482 - 2008-08-15 9:34 AM

Hey Bryan, quick question for you, if you don't mind me asking- how much do you spend per week on food? Not on gu's and specific training food, but on all the other food? What does your weekly grocery bill look like?

A freaking fortune. My wife and I have a weekly bill close to $200. We do buy all organic, so that put's a big premium in there. We go to Sprouts, a fresh produce market, to get all our fruit, veggies and other organic/natural/free range stuff (chicken, wild fish).

Now, this includes 100% of our food. We both take food into work and don't eat out during the week and only occasionaly on the weekend. I cook during the week as I am home so much earlier than my wife and we both cook on the weekends. I pack up every Sunday all my food for the week and bring it into my office fridge. I cut up bags fulls of fresh spinach, red peppers, onions, packs of cherry tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts, tofu, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, baby carrots, raw brocolli, cucumbers, squash, apples, oranges, you get the idea. I eat every 2 hours or so, making a salad for a lunch and snacking on the fruit and veggies all morning. At night I make a veggie or potatoe with chicken or fresh fish. Snacks are nuts, organic apple sauce, more fresh fruit, ect.

2008-08-15 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1605610

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
JeepFleeb - 2008-08-15 8:45 AM

KSH - 2008-08-15 8:39 AM
There are times in my life when I have eaten healthy... 1600 calories a day... and I got my body fat to 18% (right now I'm at 25%)... through eating healthy and doing weights. But let me tell you, it was miserable. I was hungry. I went to bed dizzy from being so hungry. It was hard. All I thought about was food and getting to eat again. Sure, I don't have a perfect body right now, and I could lose 10 pounds, but I'm not willing to be that miserable.

That was not healthy.  To a degree, that was a starvation diet.

x2. That absurd, Kathy. That's not a diet. I'll say it again, it's not about the calories, it's about the quality of the calories. You shouldn't be miserable eating well, you just are making very bad chioces.
2008-08-15 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1605610

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

There are times in my life when I have eaten healthy... 1600 calories a day... and I got my body fat to 18% (right now I'm at 25%)... through eating healthy and doing weights. But let me tell you, it was miserable. I was hungry. I went to bed dizzy from being so hungry. It was hard. All I thought about was food and getting to eat again. Sure, I don't have a perfect body right now, and I could lose 10 pounds, but I'm not willing to be that miserable.

That was not healthy.  To a degree, that was a starvation diet.

Well, if you are doing just regular 'ol gym workouts, it's doable. Sure, you are hungry every 2 hours, right at feeding time, but it can be done.

But no, you can't do something like that and ride/swim/run for hours each week. It works for someone who sits in the front of the computer all day and hits the gym for 1 hour, 4 times a week.

2008-08-15 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1601611

User image

Pro
NorCal

Very interesting thread.  Karen, how can you be a vegetarian and not like veggies??  Seems really complicated/difficult to me.

For the past few months I have felt like a bottomless pit when it comes to food! 

Yesterday food: 

Breakfast 1 &2 (glad to see I'm not alone in numbering my meals): Non-fat Greek yogurt with Granola, banana, dried mango, a teaspoon of cashew butter and 2 oatmeal cookies

Lunch 1&2: 2 turkey burgers (no bun) with honey mustard on top, 1 PB&J Uncrustable, 5 Sweet-tarts handful of dried cranberries

Dinner: Spicey tuna roll after my run/swim workout, grilled chicken kabobs with peanuts sauce, rice with coconut milk, iceberg wedge

Dessert: ice cream sandwich of strawberry gelato in between 2 snickerdoodle cookies (new item at Whole Foods, could not resist

Yesterday was my first day back from being out of town, usually I eat a LOT more fruit.  On a typical day I can eat a pint of blueberries, 3 peaches, 2 kiwi fruit, 1 banana.  On Sunday I usually will grill boneless skinn chicken breasts and put them in individual plastic baggies so I can throw that in the microwave at work.  It's a great time-saver!   

2008-08-15 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1605851

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

bryancd - 2008-08-15 11:00 AM
jazz82482 - 2008-08-15 9:34 AM Hey Bryan, quick question for you, if you don't mind me asking- how much do you spend per week on food? Not on gu's and specific training food, but on all the other food? What does your weekly grocery bill look like?
A freaking fortune. My wife and I have a weekly bill close to $200. We do buy all organic, so that put's a big premium in there. We go to Sprouts, a fresh produce market, to get all our fruit, veggies and other organic/natural/free range stuff (chicken, wild fish). Now, this includes 100% of our food. We both take food into work and don't eat out during the week and only occasionaly on the weekend. I cook during the week as I am home so much earlier than my wife and we both cook on the weekends. I pack up every Sunday all my food for the week and bring it into my office fridge. I cut up bags fulls of fresh spinach, red peppers, onions, packs of cherry tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts, tofu, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, baby carrots, raw brocolli, cucumbers, squash, apples, oranges, you get the idea. I eat every 2 hours or so, making a salad for a lunch and snacking on the fruit and veggies all morning. At night I make a veggie or potatoe with chicken or fresh fish. Snacks are nuts, organic apple sauce, more fresh fruit, ect.

DANG! But $200 isn't all that much when I factor in how much we spend on groceries and dinners and lunches out. You just don't seem to have the laziness gene I have when it comes to food prep.

Very impressive though. It gives me something to strive for... I know when we bring home our daughter (adopting from China) I'll need to be more cognizant of the foods we eat. I want to start her out on a very healthy diet and not all that crap that kids usually get.

2008-08-15 11:06 AM
in reply to: #1605851

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
bryancd - 2008-08-15 11:00 AM

jazz82482 - 2008-08-15 9:34 AM

Hey Bryan, quick question for you, if you don't mind me asking- how much do you spend per week on food? Not on gu's and specific training food, but on all the other food? What does your weekly grocery bill look like?

A freaking fortune. My wife and I have a weekly bill close to $200. We do buy all organic, so that put's a big premium in there. We go to Sprouts, a fresh produce market, to get all our fruit, veggies and other organic/natural/free range stuff (chicken, wild fish).

Now, this includes 100% of our food. We both take food into work and don't eat out during the week and only occasionaly on the weekend. I cook during the week as I am home so much earlier than my wife and we both cook on the weekends. I pack up every Sunday all my food for the week and bring it into my office fridge. I cut up bags fulls of fresh spinach, red peppers, onions, packs of cherry tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts, tofu, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, baby carrots, raw brocolli, cucumbers, squash, apples, oranges, you get the idea. I eat every 2 hours or so, making a salad for a lunch and snacking on the fruit and veggies all morning. At night I make a veggie or potatoe with chicken or fresh fish. Snacks are nuts, organic apple sauce, more fresh fruit, ect.

That's my biggest problem- money. Being a poor grad student, it's hard enough affording race entry fees and travel expenses, in addition to all the equipment, so I end up having to budget the rest of my money, and food is where I can cut out the most $$.

Also, Michigan is the WORST STATE EVER and has hardly any fresh produce, and if they do have anything not completely rotten, it costs a fortune (like, $2.50 per avocado, $2 per pepper). I hate it. In Cali, it was cheaper to eat all veggies then to buy junk food. No wonder everyone in this state is fat. Ok, I'll stop complaining. Apparently I haven't eaten enough today and it's making me moody

2008-08-15 11:28 AM
in reply to: #1605869

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-15 11:38 AM

Expert
scottsdale, az
Think of the body like a furnace. At my highest weight ( 15+ pounds more than now), I ate between 1000-1500 a day, while working out a ton. I would often skip breakfast, lunch and eat very little at dinner. I got help, went to a dietitian and she helped me get started on eating every 3 hours or so. I LOVE it! I don't think ALL calories are created equal. I eat 80%-90% healthy and organic foods, the other 10-20% are dark chcolate, nutella, and regular almond butter. I start school in a week to start studying to become a dietitian, I am SO excited, food is so interesting.
2008-08-15 12:12 PM

Expert
Plano, TX

Fascinating discussion.  I do want to jump in and will support one portion of Karen's previous post:

I could lose 10 pounds, but I'm not willing to be that miserable.

I find myself in a similar mindset.  (Though 'miserable' isn't the sentiment I'd use.)  Yes, I fully recognize that could stand to trim additional body fat.  However, there's a limited amount of willpower/mental capital that I'm willing/have available to commit to my diet at the moment.

Don't misunderstand -- I've made significant improvements this year in the quality of what I eat overall.  -- switch to whole grains whenever possible, significant reduction in HFCS in meal ingredients (e.g. breads), increased percentage of veggies in dinners, fruits and fruit cups for snacks, etc.

However, while the overall quality has improved, there are still significant weaknesses.   I still allow myself -- Diet Dr. Peppers (trying to cut back on that), handfulls of M&M, caramels, or other sugar snacksat the office, chips and picante --  and yes, fast food --esp. when going out with office workers on Fridays.  Now, that fast food might be a little better than previously (e.g. Turkey or Veggie Burger at Fuddruckers, smoked turkey instead of sausage when getting BBQ, Pad Thai at Pei Wei); however, it's still fast food. 

{But the bigger issue there. for me, is portion control, even if it's a 'somewhat healthier' entree.  I've started taking half of the meal and putting in a to-go container right away.  Sometimes that helps, though usually I'll find myself finishing the meal later that afternoon at work.  (Hopefully at least supplanting some other afternoon snack.)  Also, if I'm hungry when I get home, I'll find myself noshing on carbs - Triscuits, Wheat Thins, dry cereal, peanuts - whatever's handy and easy to grab a handful of.}

But it's a tradeoff at least I'm aware I'm making -- my time helping with kids in the morning sometimes outweighs the benefit of a single day's healthy lunch and the time it would take to prepare that.  Sometimes, getting out of the office and eating, even if not the healthiest meal, outweighs the mental drain of eating at the office another time.  I think this awareness is an important distinction between the group of us discussing this topic here and the general population.  We're at least aware of the opportunity costs we're incurring.

Hopefully, I'll continue to make incremental improvements, and each change becomes less and less of a burden and more-and-more of the normal routine.  And that -- the need for many of us to treat this as a journey, not a one-time quick overhaul, to be successful in the long run -- is why I find the postings with the perspective, "How can you do that?  Just cut all of xxxx out completely and do yyyy instead!" to be somewhat abrasive.  (Even though I suspect the authors didn't intend them that way.)

2008-08-15 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1605595

Extreme Veteran

KSH - 2008-08-16 1:39 AM My main problem is with COOKING! First, I am not creative in the kitchen. Nothing but basic stuff for me. Second comes the the TIME it takes to cook. 

So learn to love cooking - take a class, buy some "healthy meals in 10 mins for one" books, get a new kitchen, live with a chef. Try a heap of stuff and find what works for you. If one of these things works for you you will learn to love cooking and eat healthier.

It's also fun trying a whole bunch of new things. Sure they're not all going to work for you, but if you find 1 or 2 it's like finding a pot of gold. Changes your whole life.

Ok, so just before your IM probably isn't the time to be doing this but your off season sure is. Everyone says work on your weakness in your offseason and that includes nutrition!

Gerrard 

2008-08-15 2:11 PM
in reply to: #1605869

Extreme Veteran
KSH - 2008-08-16 3:05 AM

That was not healthy. To a degree, that was a starvation diet.

Well, if you are doing just regular 'ol gym workouts, it's doable. Sure, you are hungry every 2 hours, right at feeding time, but it can be done. But no, you can't do something like that and ride/swim/run for hours each week. It works for someone who sits in the front of the computer all day and hits the gym for 1 hour, 4 times a week.

Why the hell would you sacrifice your health and happiness to lose a few pounds like this when you could do it by eating properly and feeling good at the same time. No wonder people who "diet" end up putting the weight back on - the way you are eating is simply not sustainable! 

2008-08-15 2:16 PM

Extreme Veteran

Oh and while I'm on my rant...

Why do people say "and if I'm hungry I'll snack on donuts" (substitute donuts for any other unhealthy choice). If you are hungry your body needs fuel to recover from the last workout or get ready for the next one. Foots high in fat / sugar / salt are not real foods and have virtually no nutritional benefit. If you car was low on gas would you go fill the tank with water and mud? I think not!

Food = fuel to an athlete. Eat the best fuels for your body and you'll get the best performance out of it.

That's probably the end of my ranting for now... 

2008-08-15 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1606799

Champion
Dallas, TX
Gerrard - 2008-08-15 2:11 PM

KSH - 2008-08-16 3:05 AM

That was not healthy. To a degree, that was a starvation diet.

Well, if you are doing just regular 'ol gym workouts, it's doable. Sure, you are hungry every 2 hours, right at feeding time, but it can be done. But no, you can't do something like that and ride/swim/run for hours each week. It works for someone who sits in the front of the computer all day and hits the gym for 1 hour, 4 times a week.

Why the hell would you sacrifice your health and happiness to lose a few pounds like this when you could do it by eating properly and feeling good at the same time. No wonder people who "diet" end up putting the weight back on - the way you are eating is simply not sustainable! 

Well, that time I was being supervised by a nutritionalist who was a body builder herself.

My health was not sacrificed. I ate heathly food. My goal was to eat as much food as I could in a day, as long as it wasn't over 1600 calories. When you do that, unless you only want 2 meals a day, you go for the healthy stuff as it's lower in calories. The key is finding what fills you up too.

If you look at people who diet, you will see that they are restricted to 1200-1600 calories a day. It's a common occurance. It's not like I was doing something crazy. Mind you, I did this when I just did gym workouts... not during my IM training or anything of the sort.

I'm a small person... 5'4" and I have a small frame. I only weigh 127 pounds right now. For me to get below 124 or 120, it requires me eating 1600-1800 calories a day. That's for me to lose weight. Once I lose the weight it can be maintained with 2000 calories a day.

But because I'm small, 10 pounds on me is the difference between a size 5 and a size 8. BUT because I don't have much weight to lose in the first place, and I'm getting older, it takes a lot of work to get those 5-10 pounds off me.

2008-08-15 3:46 PM
in reply to: #1606817

Expert
Plano, TX

Foots high in fat / sugar / salt are not real foods and have virtually no nutritional benefit.

Not quite accurate (think avacado, fruits, etc.), but I know what you're saying.

If you car was low on gas would you go fill the tank with water and mud? I think not!

No, but I do sometimes put lower-octane fuel into it from non-branded gas station.  Why?  (a) Maybe it's more convenient than driving somewhere else. (b) Maybe it's the only thing available, and it's more important to have some fuel than a particular fuel

Food = fuel to an athlete. Eat the best fuels for your body and you'll get the best performance out of it.

Very true.  But if purchasing premium fuel mean that you put off changing the oil, or rotating the tires, was it really the best tradeoff?  It's the sum of the choices we make that determines the ultimate outcome.

Edited by davidb 2008-08-15 3:49 PM
2008-08-15 4:39 PM
in reply to: #1607038

Champion
the colony texas

this is how I roll

2008-08-15 8:57 PM

Master
Goodyear, AZ

This is a great thread. I'm a reformed unhealthy eater. We are the worst!!!

Karen, I too am a vegetarian (since age 10) and was extremely unhealthy. I did not cook much and thought I didnt like a lot of vegetables, tofu etc. I got the book Vegan Planet and I started making stuff from it, in addition I found a local store (here it's Fresh & Easy) that carries great quality, healthy food that is mostly already prepared. I'm a busy mom, teacher & triathlete and I used to eat like crap- all processed foods and since changing my diet I not only have a ton more energy but I am less moody and can train so much harder.

Bottom line, it's worth the effort. Nutrition is a discipline. We are lucky that as athletes, we can eat more than the average person and I certainly enojoy treats. I just make all around better choices     

2008-08-15 10:09 PM

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ

Sally and Kathy, you are called "pudding vegetarians" in Germany.

Very cool thread! I've been a semi-veggie for 22 years now and have read a lot about food during those years. (I do eat seafood and some poultry.) What I eat directly affects my moods and my performance, physically and mentally.

One thing really stands out in this thread: Except for Bryan and Gerrard, no one emphasizes veggies in their food choices, people stuff themselves with "pudding," i.e. fillers made mostly of refined white flour, a simple carb just like sugar.

I don't get why. It takes me so much longer to boil pasta than to steam a bowl of veggies! How can preparing veggies be too time-consuming? The shorter you cook them (if at all) the better. If you write up your grocery shopping list around your veggie choices then you will have everything you need at home when you want it. Look at veggies as the main course and add meat/protein and grains as side dishes.

I buy all organic too, once a week, take all my meals to work, hardly ever eat out, spend about $100/week. If you look into my shopping cart, you'll see veggies and fruit, some yogurt/kefir and cheese, whole grains (love quinoa too!), eggs, and maybe chicken or fish. Not a single pre-packaged item (except kefir), nothing processed, no lists of ingredients on anything.

It really isn't that hard. It just means changing habits ingrained by way too much food advertising... Ever seen a fancy TV ad about veggies just for veggies' sake?

2008-08-18 2:33 AM
in reply to: #1605407

Veteran
Minnesota
Yeah, I'm especially going to have to try more frozen this winter (x-c ski training). I have gotten to the point where I am having a hard time even thinking about eating another chicken breast and found that I'm much more creative with the seafood.

Thank you for the info!
2008-08-18 2:38 AM
in reply to: #1605420

Veteran
Minnesota
Gaarryy - 2008-08-15 6:13 AM

same here  i love those steamable frozen bags of veggies though.. some tuna and a bag of veggies is quick to make, eat, and clean up.

I'll grill about 3 days worth of chicken and just piece on it.. my issue is it's over 100 degrees in texas so I don't like to use the stove,   I'll use the slow cooker [mine has a timer] so it either cooks while i'm sleeping or working 

Tuna and veggies sounds doable, I really should get a timer for my slow cooker, leaving the thing on and leaving the house kinda freaks me out. What if it runs out of water and starts a fire? etc. I never thought of a timer.
2008-08-18 2:40 AM
in reply to: #1605595

Veteran
Minnesota
KSH - 2008-08-15 7:39 AM

The other issue I have with cooking is that I make too much and then I have to eat on it for 3 meals. It's hard to cook for just one person and not have left overs. Some left overs are OK, but there comes a point where you don't want to eat the same meal over and over again.

Yeah, or it ends up taking up space in the freezer until it is a dried out hockey puck I hear ya!
2008-08-18 3:14 AM
in reply to: #1606149

Veteran
Minnesota
JeepFleeb - 2008-08-15 10:28 AM

You should never be going to bed hungry, let alone dizzy from hunger.

The effect that sort of prolonged extreme has on your RMR makes it extremely difficult to loose weight and very easy to gain weight in the future.  It's one way that eating disorders develop.

Peter Reid talks about this in the movie "What it takes". To lean down for Hawaii he said he went to bed with hunger headaches on a regular basis. He also, like you, mentioned the possibility, if not probablility, that he had an eating disordered kind of mentality on the whole thing, that a lot of pro cyclists and triathletes do, and that it could lead to trouble. He was in an entirely different league than the rest uf us, I wouldn't think there is a need for any of us to lean down to win Kona

(GARFIELD.gif)

Attachments
----------------
GARFIELD.gif (26KB - 26 downloads)

2008-08-18 9:52 AM

Champion
South Jersey

Just wait until AFTER the IM. My appetite was out of control the week after the race; I ate a lot more than I did in training (which was a lot). Food rocks, so enjoy it !

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training = How much MORE FOOD can I eat? Rss Feed  

of 3