BT Development Mentor Program Archives » NavyTRIChief's Mentor Group - NOW FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2008-12-23 2:36 PM
in reply to: #1856164

User image

Veteran
The Ocean State
Subject: RE: NavyTRIChief's Mentor Group - NOW FULL
OK, I'm in. I'll touch no chocolate for the next 7 days. This will include anything made with chocolate, cocoa, etc.. Ouch, tough time of the year for this type of challenge.

2008-12-23 4:32 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

I'll skip the chips, salsa, sodaaaa's for the next 7 days. Will hold on the beer and cut half the amount. Starting January, no longer an issue for beer since going full scale training for 2009 again.

Hans

2008-12-23 8:13 PM
in reply to: #1870121

User image

Veteran

Sorry all, I haven't been on as much as usual these past few days since I have been traveling to visit family and friends for the holidays. Here's some quick answers to the questions posed earlier.

1. Yeah, it's Tuesday and I know where my training log is. It's pretty empty since I haven't been doing much in the way of training. I'm in the middle of a 2 week "break" from the winter cyklcing program but more to the point, I've developed a bit of a sinus cold that was born a simple 24 hour bug last Wednesday. The change from 70 + degree South Carolina weather to 20 degree and lower PA weather hasn't helped my cause. The Garmin is packed and ready to be used if I can pull myself away from all of this horribly yummy food my family makes. I did not know about the nutrition log available in BT, I usually just keep a food log on a legal pad in the kitchen but I will go the electronic route.

2. 7 day give up vice? That's a hard one right now. I actually gave up soda last March and haven't touched it since. The first 3 days suck but it gets a lot easier if you manage the headaches. I guess it's gonna have to be chips and anything chip related even "healthy" baked chips. I loves my crunchy things on my sandwiches. Pringles, Cheetos, and all that stuff I guess is out the door. Not pretzels though I can't d that.

I will begin logging my hours Jan. 1 RELIGIOUSLY or face the wrath of the group.

Enjoy your holidays. Be safe. If you can't be safe, name it after me.

-Chris 

2008-12-24 12:01 PM

New user

Southeast Michigan

Tostitos Chips are my nemesis.  I will give them up during the hardest part of the year when the family has copious supplies available.  This will be tough but I accept the challenge.

I have started to use the trainer log but have not touched the nutrition log.  Plan on reading up on the Zone diet during this break and may incorporate some ideas into my daily eating habits.

In more horrific news, I think I broke my big toe last night.  I was at the Pistons game and decided to hit up the vendor in between the first and second quarter.  To not miss any of the action, I ran back up the stairs only to slip and stub my big toe.  It was so painful, but I've stubbed it many times and thought the pain should subside only to realize that pain had gotten worse during the course of the game.

Now I am taking some Motrin, icing, and resting until this stupid thing heals.  The saddest part was that I just ordered bottles of water from the vendor, no alcohol in my system!

Anyone with experience on training with a broken big toe?  My wife tells me to rest, but I may test in the water in a couple of days.  I know running is out of the question but what about riding a bike?  With foot pedals I feel like my toe would be protected.

2008-12-24 10:31 PM
in reply to: #1869385

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island
NavyTRIChief - 2008-12-23 11:53 AM
vm354 - 2008-12-23 11:17 AM

This one is going to be tough.

Carbonated beverages...beer and soda. Should be painful enough.

Woa woa woa, beer?!!  Sorry, I'm sticking with soda, especially with the football games coming up.

Crap....what was I thinking. OK just SODA since I pretty much blew the beer thing less than 24 hours into this challenge.

So much for will power.

2008-12-25 8:38 PM
in reply to: #1869053

User image

Expert
St. Louis

NavyTRIChief - 2008-12-23 8:14 AM It's Tuesday, do you know where your training log is?  Just out of curiosity, how many people use BT plans, the nutrition log etc. on here?

I use the BT Log, not the nutrition, but I think you need to be a member to use it...Check me out...And if you are giving up soda go all the way to OJ, Sunny D is not that good for you, just a little not badder for you than SODA. (Great language right there guys).

2008-12-26 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Day after christmas, how's everyone doing.  I ate too much prime rib but haven't touched soda.  Start my program on Monday, including pool time.
2008-12-26 7:20 PM

New user

Southeast Michigan

Got back into the water today and it turns out that my toe is just severely bruised not broken.  Great news.  Still can't run but will start back up in a week or so.

The used bike I was going to get from a family member fell through so I am in the market for a road bike.  Going to post in classifieds to see if I have any luck.

Haven't touched tostitos!

2008-12-27 3:40 PM

Expert

hey it looks like a nice group you have here...

maybe we can get a ride in this summer

2008-12-27 11:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island

First ride on the new trainer today (Fluid2). Pretty nice set up and not quite as painful as people would lead you to believe. This is certainly going to help going into the season.

The last three days I ate like I was going to the electric chair. Talk about an uphill battle!

2008-12-28 4:55 PM

User image

Master
syracuse

doing good....no cakes/cookies/sweets for me.

only missed x-mas day training wise, was happy about that.

early AM gym day tomorrow, today I realized my first race is only 5 months away...closer than I think!!  time to get serious!!!!

2008-12-28 5:19 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Third day back in training since allowed to train from Foot Surgery. Felt good, and definitively crashed and burn on todays bike ride. By that mean bunked out on the ride. Just a lot since four weeks ago. But doing well. Gained a few (OK, a lot over the last 4 weeks, but guess what, time to get back on track, and going to loose it all.

Season starting again, and going to pace it through. Go Team. Have we come up with a team name yet?

How was your all Christmas Vacation friends!

2008-12-28 6:31 PM

Hi all,

Hope you had good holidays and didn't eat toooo much Wink Just on my last night shift till I start work again after the new year.

Spent the last couple of shifts on my turbo trainer (it's been quiet in work!) trying out my new bike: Planet X Pro carbon Stealth http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/?page_id=1050#

It's got 'normal' wheels and different bars but still looks fast Laughing....all I've got to do now is create the engine to go with it !

Oh yeah and adapt to the TT riding position, it's a little more extreme compared to my Giant with aero bars !

Just found out the date of my 1st sprint has changed.....to Apr 26th.....best I get a move on and start my running/swim training.

And as I've seen somewhere before.............Keep Tri-ing Laughing

2008-12-28 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran

Not a chip since Wednesday and going strong. Chocolate and other nasties on the other hand, not so good. The 2009 training calender starts on the 5th officially. I am putting the finishing touches on my preliminary plan as we speak. Actually came home a day early to get a jump on it. I'm not even looking at the scales and am dreading my first ride on the trainer.

On the plus side, I got some good tri-related presents. Triathlete Training Bible and a Marathon Training book as well as the Triathlete Magazine Book of Triathlon Training. Lots of good info to use this year.

-Chris

2008-12-28 6:46 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

Okay, now that all the holiday craziness is over for me, I'm here. (Scott, sent a PM regarding logs.  I am fine with any long distance arse kicking, but from here on out I should make it easy on you.)  Here is what I am up to:

• I am now using the BT logs.  Just entered for today.  Will go ahead and do nutrition too, starting tomorrow.
  • My strength is probably cycling although it is hard to tell on my log right now.  Swimming is my weakness.
  • I am most proud that 3 weeks ago I gave up diet coke cold turkey!  I am talking 6 cans/day.  The problem is that when I drink soft drinks I lose any desire for water.  I am now drinking 6-10 glasses of water/day depending on workouts, etc.  Still drink coffee and that will never go away, period!
  • Giving up the ocassional glass of red wine except for 1 glass on Sunday evenings, starting next Sunday.
  • I am using a modified version of Gale Berhardt's base building phase I plan.
  • Still not running due to achilles tendinitis.  Seeing podiatrist on Tuesday, and PT begins in the new year.
  • Hoping to give each person an inspire 3x per week.
  • I will weigh myself (scared) tomorrow and post my current weight and goal weight.  I even bought a scale, which I have never owned, never needed to!

Andi

2008-12-29 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran
The Ocean State

Confession time, I did have a slice of chocolate cake over the holiday's but I had to eat it. My wife made it and it'd be an insult not to have a piece.....right? Anyway, I did slack with my routine Wed-Friday due to holiday madness and post xmas toy assembly but I'm back at it. Got two outside runs in this weekend and am thankful for decent weather. We took the kids to the public pool and I got about 300 yards in between playing around. Plan on hitting the gym today and maybe a run.

I've been using the training log only for training and not nutrition. I do have a target weight of 175- 180 by May 15th so I'm going to need some type of program to get there. Basically need  to lose about a pound a week for 20 weeks. Any suggestions are welcome.

2008-12-29 9:02 AM
in reply to: #1875467

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
sma777 - 2008-12-29 5:36 AM

Confession time, I did have a slice of chocolate cake over the holiday's but I had to eat it. My wife made it and it'd be an insult not to have a piece.....right? Anyway, I did slack with my routine Wed-Friday due to holiday madness and post xmas toy assembly but I'm back at it. Got two outside runs in this weekend and am thankful for decent weather. We took the kids to the public pool and I got about 300 yards in between playing around. Plan on hitting the gym today and maybe a run.

I've been using the training log only for training and not nutrition. I do have a target weight of 175- 180 by May 15th so I'm going to need some type of program to get there. Basically need  to lose about a pound a week for 20 weeks. Any suggestions are welcome.

From this years weight loss, I would say keep a scale nearby and use it on a daily basis. Just remember to always use the same scale, and not different ones at different places in which you have no control over it. Some people may recalibrate it elsewhere, and you wouldn't know it.

Remember that the scale will fluctuate as you pee more or less, and use the head (excuse me, the restroom) early in the morning. First thing in the morning is the best time, and weight yourself naked. This keeps it more honest.

Just stay focus on the nutrition and hydration, this will help you. Just remember that you are allowed at least one day a week where you can eat some of your good stuff, but the key is Moderation, unless you can skip that. Good luck.

2008-12-29 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

To answer the question about age group for HIM's or full. Just to make it clear, there are no USAT rules on how old you need to be to compete in what distances, but their are some belief within the sports. I wrote emails to two friends of mine with USAT BOD, and here what they were:

This first email was from Charlie Crawford who is our USAT Rules Director.

Hello Hans,

Minimum age for any event, when we are speaking of participants younger than 20, is up to the event organizer.  For the distance you mention, usually there is a 15-19 age group, but again, it is up to the RD.

Sincerely,

Charlie Crawford
USA Triathlon Commissioner of Officials  
"

This second email is from Steve Kelley who overseas USAT Athletes Development Programs.

Hi Hans,

I’ve asked Charlie Crawford for an “official” comment on this.  My personal recommendation as a coach is that 18 is the minimum age for 70.3 or IM distance (i.e. long course racing).  Unfortunately, we’ve seen some very young kids allowed to race long course over the past 2 years (some as young as 12).  This is not a trend that USAT supports.

As a coach of junior athletes for almost 10 years, I see very little to be gained athletically or developmentally and the assumption of quite a bit of unnecessary risk to the athlete and potentially the race/race director where something to go bad.  Our standard guidelines for developing athletes is that those under 16 stick to sprint distance, 16-18 (if properly prepared) can attempt a few Olympic distance events in a season, and save the long course for 19+.  We are at a point in the sport where there are a lot of great opportunities for junior athletes to focus on that are age appropriate.  I’d be happy to discuss these with you at your convenience.

Happy Holidays,

Steve Kelley

USA Triathlon
Athlete Development Coordinator  
"

"

Hope this answers a question that was raised earlier in post. Good luck, and continue chasing your dreams. We are all behind each others here at BT.

Hans D.

2008-12-29 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Sorry for being so busy, but quick question:

Has anyone started a table with everyone that is part of this Mentorship program so we can add each others to the friends list and support each others.

You all have an awesome week. Cheers!!

2008-12-29 5:33 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

My funny swim day, or as my husband would say, "This kind of murphy's law stuff always happens to you!"

Showed up at the pool today right after work to swim for the first time in several months.  I was dressed and ready to go at 5:07, pool opens at for lap swimming at 5:15.  I waited.  And waited. And waited, along with everyone else.  Lifeguards a no show.  Of course, this never happens.  Late?  Yes.  No show?  No.  Gawd, swimming is such a hassle.  So, I called two other facilities on the way home and they were closing as I was calling.

You can't say I didn't try.  Guess I will do the indoor trainer for 30 minutes and then go lift.  I refuse to have a null set in my logs for today!

Andi

2008-12-29 7:19 PM

New user

Southeast Michigan

I can definitely tell that my endurance is increasing in the pool.  The problem is that my form is absolutely horrible.  My local YMCA has a special triathlon swim session once a week for 7 weeks for only 60 bucks.  Anyone out there with previous experience with these kind of sessions?

Turns out my toe is not getting much better, probably not going to run for at least two weeks.  Just means more time in the pool and on the bike.

Speaking of the bike, I just picked up a felt s32 at the LBS for only 960.  Also got a trainer so I've already spent all of my fun money for 2009 two days before the year starts!  I'll let you guys know how my first bike ride on the trainer goes tomorrow.

Cheers,

Aaron

2008-12-30 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island

Ah yes, it looks like we are paying our pennance for holiday indescretions...another hour on the drainer for me this morning. I watched the IMH 2008 broadcast so things went by nicely. I think I am going to wear out the copy of that!

2008-12-30 11:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
I must confess that I broke into the tortilla chips last night! Boo. I did so well throughout the day and then just broke down.

I am going to Tahoe on New Year's Day so will be hitting the slopes in lieu of "real" workouts.
2008-12-30 10:04 PM

New user

Southeast Michigan

Picked up my bike and trainer today and had my first true workout on the bike.  Let me tell you, my legs are absolutely done but I'll be back on for some mo' tomorrow. Reminder to self to start practicing bricks once I can start running again.

2008-12-31 10:52 AM

Regular
Quincy
I am going to be religious about my training logs so that everyone can help stat on me. I am also going to try the nutrition log. My biggest weaknes is breakfeast. I tend not to eat it and when I do it is not always healthy. I know from the past that knowing that others are watching will help motivate me to be better this year.

I have already personally committed to this being my year. I am upgrading the engine on my bike. I also know what I need to do it is just a matter of me doing it.

Thanks in advance for the support encouragement and the kick in the butt.

Todd
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » NavyTRIChief's Mentor Group - NOW FULL Rss Feed  

of 8