Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2008-12-18 9:30 AM
in reply to: #1859860

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Subject: RE: Gordo Byrn's Group - FULL

swbkrun - 2008-12-17 4:06 PM Gordo how do you feel about "cross training?"  Especially in the off season?!  Right now I am huge into snowshoeing, rock climbing, trail running with no "real specific training" schedule.   When I am doing this stuff should I be thinking about HR, speed, distance, time, etc.... Or chalk it up to the off season, and keeping my base pretty high?

I love crosstraining in the winter -- especially long, lower aerobic work.

The thing to watch right now is that you don't smash yourself with 1,000 meters ascents with pack/snowshoes holding 155-165 bpm-type efforts... so easy to do if you have the iPod jamming.  So keep it aerobic and go as long as you can handle without impacting the next day's training.

If possible then try to swim 2x per week -- swimming is the most skill oriented of the three tri sports.  You can limit your losses by using a maintenance program.

NOTE -- what mtn you on in your picture???  I have recently dug out all my mountaineering gear and restarted (far more moderate than the old days).  Was up at 11K yesterday scoping out a winter route across the Divide.

Edited by GordoByrn 2008-12-18 9:31 AM

2008-12-18 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1859827

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
chartierm22 - 2008-12-17 3:50 PM

Thanks Gordo!!

Looks like I need to get better at using my HR monitor.  BTW I only have the most basic one, all it tells me is my heart rate, is that ok?

Basic is what I recommend, and use myself.  It's really easy to get bogged down in the data.  The main thing is getting out there.  Once you learn how things "feel" -- the main role of the HRM is to prevent us doing something silly when the endorphins kick in and we feel bulletproof.

2008-12-18 9:35 AM
in reply to: #1860790

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO

OK team -- that's it for today.  I didn't get a chance to review your intros but think that we made a good start with a range of excellent questions.  

Keep the questions coming -- I am happy to talk about anything and everything.

g

2008-12-18 9:38 AM
in reply to: #1856890

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi

Newbie question - what is three-stroke breathing?  Or rather - what is counted as one stroke? I count a stroke as when both arms have finished a full rotation.

I think I used to breathe after each stroke, but I've changed to every other stroke and I have noticed a difference. Is three-stroke breathing just like it sounds? Breathe after every 3rd stroke? I always breathe to my right side, should I be practicing breathing on both sides?

Thanks!

Edited by Cardholic 2008-12-18 11:30 AM
2008-12-18 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran

This day just keeps getting better and better. Thanks for doing this Gordo - I know that I really appreciate it.

I've got a HRM and use it for everything except swim (Garmin 405 doesn't like water) so this is a great fit.  I stuggle throttle back - the monitor helps but I need to get better with it.

Gotta swim today!  Too many holiday parties this week...

2008-12-18 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Central, IL

12/18/08

RUN: 4.75 miles       TIME:  51 min      HR: 151 average (my calculated max = 177)

NOTES: sloppy course, poor footing, few small hills (ice, snow), ran negative splits (under 10 min. pace for last mile)

Question:  What is your philosophy/suggestions on a streaching routine?

2008-12-18 10:03 AM

User image

Regular
Berkeley Heights

Gordo,

I've been reading everyone's questions and feedback and I must say I am looking forward to this program.   I'm a fairly big guy ( 6'2", 280) power lifted in high school, football, etc.  Now 38yo., setting a LT weight goal of 225.  have always had some semblence of athleticism but like many, start...achieve...then fall back into old habits.  At a recent checkup, the Dr. said "you're as healthya nd strong as an Ox, the only problem is that you weigh as much as one too.." 

Up until this week, I've been using the Precor AMT and some running on a treadmill.  I can knock out an hour on the new Precor AMT at a level of 15 and have and avg HR in the 140's with high's of the low 160's.  This week I've stepped into a sprint program and pretty much use the AMT for a warm up before I hit the bike or treadmill.  So finally to my question...is there a specific heart rate that I should be at given my size.  I haven't yet used the HRM, just going by the machine sensors but will brush the dust off the Polar S120.

Lastly, what are your thought of weight trainging during a tri program?

Thanks,

Phil 

2008-12-18 10:19 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Maryland

Swim effort is something I'm still struggling with also. Just this last swim on Tuesday I started working on breathing to my left. I breath to my right very comfortably already and can do 2 stroke and even 4 stroke breathing pretty comfortably. Either way I feel like I'm gassed about every 50 yards. Even when I go as slow as possible I'm in oxygen debt every 50 yards. I'm hitting my distance goals per workout, but it's more like interval training than distance at the moment.

Seperate question:

How much detail would you like in my Training Log?

I've kept it pretty basic so far but can definately add a ton more if needed.

2008-12-18 10:20 AM

Illinois
I use a Garmin FR305.  For the last couple of weeks I have been somewhat ignoring the heart rates as they haven't correlated well with my RPE.  I guess it is time to listen to Gordo, supress the agressive type A athlete in me, and come to the realization that I may not be that fit right now.   Gordo, I look forward to more advice and a great tri season in 2009.  I hope to get to get to know the rest of you as well.
2008-12-18 11:30 AM

Master

Afternoon all!

I'm on the couch to 5k plan from this site and am up to walking 2min and running 28 which I've broken into 9-1-10-1-9, monday was 4 walk/ 26 run and I did some work with bands at night, tuesday did my first 2/28 then did some weights at night, wed just bands at night today my left thigh is a singing not really bad but is certainly a little sore.  My question is this, I have a run today another 2/28 planned I know I can do the run, but when/how do we know when are muscles would really be better off not running?  I know everyone says listen to your body and you'll know when to rest, but I don't feel as though I understand exactly what me body is telling me yet.  Also all my running for awhile anyway has been on the treadmil.

2008-12-18 12:21 PM

User image

Champion

did my first run monitoring my heart rate....

g. when you say the run will feel slow, you aint kidding.

26 min run today.  (indoors, on a treadmill)

i started my run HR 101, this was after stretching and 3 mins of brisk walking on the treadmill

i steadily worked up to 148 (im 41) and toggled between 140-148, but felt like i had to keep 'holding back' just to stay in that MH range.  dear me.  some adjusting to do.

i chked my HR at the beginning of the run, at 8 mins, 16 mins and at the end.

not sure what the intervals should be between chks, though i guess i wont matter much w the HRM watch i can just keep checking in.

like ive said, no experience w HR trng, though im excited to learn something new.

if theres a better way to go about this, be sure to let me know.  im all ears. 

just a note:  im just using the HR monitor on the treadmill for now, so its possible the data is 'soft' in spin class they have HRM that you can borrow, which ill do in the meantime.

im in the market for a HR watch, waitin on Santa to come to my house....

onwardandupward

Edited by skrtrnr 2008-12-18 12:51 PM

2008-12-18 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi

Question about HR Zones - Are they different for the different sports? In BT, they allow different zones for the 3 sports... Since I come from a running background, I kinda have my zones figured out for running - but when cycling, my HR doesn't seem to go as high for the same effort.

2008-12-18 1:43 PM

Master

Ok, just read the nutrition stuff you have on your site and am starting to realize that I am probably not eating enough nor eating right.  I still have some fat reserves (had 2 kids ) that I would like to get rid of and trade it in for more muscle.  I'm thinking I really need to up my protein intake too.  I know you don't really like calories but...... what kind of range should a stay at home mom who is working toward her first tri in june ish (running & weights/bands only right now, will be adding in the bike in jan) be shooting for?  I'm 30 and weigh about 140lb.  I'm not hung up on what the scale tells me, I'd just like to get rid of the jiggle.    Is there a ratio between carbs/fats/protein that I should shoot for also?

2008-12-18 2:23 PM

User image

New York

Hi Gordo. First I want to thank you for taking the time to help us out.  Its truly a great opportunity for all of us to have you as a mentor.  I have a question on timing /creating a training plan.  There are about 15 weeks until my first event (3/29/09), which is a sprint  duathalon (2mile run – 12 mile Bike – 2 mile run).  My second race is a Sprint Tri in late June (.5mile swim - 12mile Bike and - 3.1 mile run).  I was thinking that I would concentrate on biking and running first by following the 12-week Beginner duathalon plan here on BT (no swimming).  Between my race in March and the race in June (another 12 weeks) I would switch from the “12 week Duathalon Plan” to the “12 Week Couch to Sprint Tri Plan” which would incorporate swimming.  I’m planning on simply making adjustments to maintain the biking and running fitness gains made from the duathalon program and really focusing on swimming as I get closer to the Tri.

Question:  Is this a good training strategy or should I be training in all 3 sports from now until June?

Also can you comment on nutrition and training at the beginner level, especially those of us who are trying to lose a few pounds. 

Doug G

Edited by DGubner 2008-12-18 4:48 PM
2008-12-18 2:29 PM
in reply to: #1858580

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Gordo Byrn's Group - OPEN
jldicarlo - 2008-12-17 10:13 AM

alltom1 - 2008-12-17 9:09 AM CoSign an above post..I don't qualify but would have loved to have been part of this. Good of you to be involved with some newer folks..

X3!  I won't take away from the newbies either...but it sure would be cool!

Newbies, PAY ATTENTION!  Join THIS group...Gordo is a legend.

Awesome! A great opportunity for total newbies. Kiss

Happy Holidays! This is quite a gift!

I'm no newbie... but you can bet I'll be lurking here.

2008-12-18 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1861722

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Gordo,

While responding to Doug G's question about nutrition and the beginner I would also like to get your feelings about suppliments?  It looks like I might be the oldest member of the mentoring group - OK you or anybody else in the group can call me Pop's!!!!.   Over time I have noticed that bones and muscles are a little stiffer than they were when I was younger.  I'm certain that a lot of this has to do with my current fitness level but I was wondering if there were certain vitamins, or any type of suppliment that I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Jeff 

2008-12-18 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1860780

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
GordoByrn - 2008-12-18 7:30 AM

swbkrun - 2008-12-17 4:06 PM Gordo how do you feel about "cross training?"  Especially in the off season?!  Right now I am huge into snowshoeing, rock climbing, trail running with no "real specific training" schedule.   When I am doing this stuff should I be thinking about HR, speed, distance, time, etc.... Or chalk it up to the off season, and keeping my base pretty high?

I love crosstraining in the winter -- especially long, lower aerobic work.

The thing to watch right now is that you don't smash yourself with 1,000 meters ascents with pack/snowshoes holding 155-165 bpm-type efforts... so easy to do if you have the iPod jamming.  So keep it aerobic and go as long as you can handle without impacting the next day's training.

If possible then try to swim 2x per week -- swimming is the most skill oriented of the three tri sports.  You can limit your losses by using a maintenance program.

NOTE -- what mtn you on in your picture???  I have recently dug out all my mountaineering gear and restarted (far more moderate than the old days).  Was up at 11K yesterday scoping out a winter route across the Divide.

That was up on Mt. Adams in Washington the week after Ironman Canada this year. Holy Geez was the muscle fatigue brutual!  But it was a nice reward!  It something that I always look forward to after tri season (cross training that is!).  We have a ton of great trail running, moutaineering, and hiking around here..... BUT VERY HARD TO COMPETE w/ the Boulder area.  A lot to do there in such a short drive ! Very jealous of your home city!  I love it there

2008-12-18 9:39 PM
in reply to: #1858633

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Writebrained - 2008-12-17 9:26 AM

Maybe you can coach me/advise me on the best way to formulate a Jan - Oct???  training plan(s) with focus (proper tapers, base, speed work, etc...plugged in at the correct times). 

John

John --

With the plan, what I would recommend is not thinking through the entire year (in terms of workouts).  What you can do is lay out your year in terms of races, travel, holidays... etc... a spreadsheet that I like is here (first article)... http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/publish/

For the winter, what I find works best is writing out a moderate week that you can hit no-sweat every single week.  Aim for a balanced week that is under what you think is achievable.  Set yourself up for out performance -- make consistency a habit.

Then, when you have extra energy -- insert some fun days/sessions.  Rest before you "need" to.  For most of us that means cutting the week in half at least every 4th week.  Stay active in your recovery weeks but dial down the training stress.

I wouldn't worry about the intensity, taper, peaking, finetuning just yet.  First find a plan that is fun to do daily for 12 weeks.  From that, you can finetune based on what you think you need.  

One of my favorite sayings -- until you can do consistently, it doesn't matter what you do.  Likewise, if you find something that you like to do consistently then you'll be winning before you even race.

g

2008-12-18 9:39 PM
in reply to: #1858633

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO

Maybe you can coach me/advise me on the best way to formulate a Jan - Oct???  training plan(s) with focus (proper tapers, base, speed work, etc...plugged in at the correct times). 

John

John --

With the plan, what I would recommend is not thinking through the entire year (in terms of workouts).  What you can do is lay out your year in terms of races, travel, holidays... etc... a spreadsheet that I like is here (first article)... http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/publish/

For the winter, what I find works best is writing out a moderate week that you can hit no-sweat every single week.  Aim for a balanced week that is under what you think is achievable.  Set yourself up for out performance -- make consistency a habit.

Then, when you have extra energy -- insert some fun days/sessions.  Rest before you "need" to.  For most of us that means cutting the week in half at least every 4th week.  Stay active in your recovery weeks but dial down the training stress.

I wouldn't worry about the intensity, taper, peaking, finetuning just yet.  First find a plan that is fun to do daily for 12 weeks.  From that, you can finetune based on what you think you need.  

One of my favorite sayings -- until you can do consistently, it doesn't matter what you do.  Likewise, if you find something that you like to do consistently then you'll be winning before you even race.

g

2008-12-18 9:46 PM
in reply to: #1858740

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Cardholic - 2008-12-17 9:59 AM

I've had trouble losing weight while training... maybe you have some tips?

I also want to run a Half Marathon in June... I joined BT as a gold member... then joined TnT, and now I'm joining a Mentor group...As you can tell, I'm enthusiastic, but I need FOCUS - you could probably help me with that too!

Weight loss -- for me the #1 thing is to find choice strategies, rather than denial strategies.  Focusing on "not doing" doesn't work for me.  What does work is focusing on "doing".  In other words, I know that if I train daily and eat real food then I will be healthy.  The real goal here is health, not weight loss -- our brains, and society, will try to trick us -- watch out for that.

Real food -- you'll see me write about this a lot -- real food is food that comes without an ingredient list -- in other words, I eat foods that aren't processed.

Focus -- focus on simplifying your schedule and get your training done in the morning.  Those are the two things that most helped me when I was getting started.

Welcome Aboard.

2008-12-18 9:51 PM
in reply to: #1858758

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
chartierm22 - 2008-12-17 10:04 AM

Around Jan08' started a lower calorie diet and running mainly on treadmill (did too much too fast and hurt my knees).  

Mel

Mel,

Like you, I started running too quickly and had to stop (for years).  What eventually got me back was strength training as well as lots of hill walking.  It took me a while to build up the strength to handle the running.

Another interesting fact -- at my first sprint tri I was second to last (overall) out of the water.  I managed to get my pool times down to 20 minutes for a 1500 (in a 50m pool) so my story is a lesson for hope for all of us that learn to swim as adults.

g

2008-12-18 9:51 PM
in reply to: #1862545

User image

Master
Central, IL
GordoByrn - 2008-12-18 9:39 PM

John

John --

g

Got it!  Never considered actually PLANNING for the reality of the holidays, work, etc.  It makes soooo much sense.  Will do! 

I have some down-time this week...I'll start drafting my plan soon. 

You're the best - signed,

.....a proud Gordo Groupie

2008-12-18 9:55 PM
in reply to: #1858792

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Beafly - 2008-12-17 10:12 AM

My final thought is that I have always been a team motivator. I struggle to self motivate but thrive in a cooperative environment. I know that is difficult in distance sports, but I feel a mentor program like this might just be what I need.

SIGN ME UP!

-Doug

Doug,

Welcome aboard.  To help with motivation, use a training log.  It really helped me -- there is nothing like a streak.  Also remember that even ten minutes of exercise is better than taking a zero on the day.  I've had periods (nutritionally, athletically) where I would totally fold if I couldn't be "perfect" -- now that I'm getting older and my body won't let me be perfect (even when my mind wants...) I've learned that something is a heck of a lot better than nothing.

g

2008-12-18 9:58 PM
in reply to: #1858932

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
movingsouth - 2008-12-17 10:54 AM

After my Sept tri I thought I'd train to do a 10K on Tgiving - but ended up eagerly pushing too hard (or something) and injured myself.  Followed that with a nasty cold and I only did the 5K on Tgiving with my worst time ever!   I'm now back to very slow, very short runs but feeling well so ready to keep it going again!

Cynthia,  

Welcome onboard -- you need to update your sig file with something that suits your 2009 goals.  

The folks on this thread are lucky -- being new, you will have many personal bests to come.  Along the way, remember the reason why you started.  

There comes a time for all of us when the times slow but the reasons for going out there remain!

g

2008-12-18 10:00 PM
in reply to: #1858940

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
gtkelly - 2008-12-17 10:57 AM

Running every day is a bit much for me right now. Just broke 1000 meters swimming and typically have a long bike on Saturdays of about 15-20 miles. But no idea of how to pull all three together and train. I just go with the flow (yeah I know, not the best plan).

Random training can work well when you are new.  Don't feel that you must have a structure.  By the sound of your endurance progression you are doing well and have learned to be most cautious on the running.  

Welcome!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gordo Byrn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 51