BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's geek heaven - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-04-10 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2069077

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
Subject: RE: enginerd's geek heaven - FULL
So I'm wondering - and maybe the group can help. Since I've been training more I've been cold a lot more. It usually doesn't bother me one way or the other, but lately I just can't get warm. Any thoughts?

2009-04-10 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2075907

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: enginerd's geek heaven - QOTD

enginerd - 2009-04-10 7:31 AM Here's a question of the day for everyone to answer and get us talking about a common subject of interest.  I'm hoping all of you will be able to come up with questions of the day in the future to ask something training related or something just for fun or curiosity.

QOTD: What do you do for your nutrition pre-race and during your races?

I never did any major tri so I'll speak for my running races:

The week before the race:

Assuming that the race is taking place over the weekend, I'll be eating pasta and rice on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. On Friday, I will be eating a good lunch and a light dinner.

On race day:

I start off with 2 slices of 7 grains bread with a thick layer of Nutela chocolate spread and a coffee. Then, during the race: Every 1/2 hour I am taking a Gel or Sports Beans and every hour, 2 (or more, depends on the temperature) pills of Hammer Nutrition Enduralytes - to prevent crampings. I also drink a lot - as I am a big guy who sweat a lot. I usually carry with me a 16 oz. bottle of water but for the most, drink at each aid station.

I am following this nutrition plan also on longer (over 10 miles) training runs. It took me a while to find what works the best for me and I had experimented with it quite a bit until I got it right.

2009-04-10 11:06 AM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB

Good morning Donato! (and Group!)
Just wanted to follow up after my initial contact with you and hoping that I am not too late to join geek heaven. I have been with an awesome mentor group for the winter and they have given me some amazing support and information but I am anxious to connect with folks that have experience with some longer distances since I am trying to prep for IMC.

2009-04-10 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2076188

User image

Master
San Francisco
run_yc_run - 2009-04-10 9:06 AM

Good morning Donato! (and Group!)
Just wanted to follow up after my initial contact with you and hoping that I am not too late to join geek heaven. I have been with an awesome mentor group for the winter and they have given me some amazing support and information but I am anxious to connect with folks that have experience with some longer distances since I am trying to prep for IMC.

Sure thing Yvonne.  Welcome to the group!  Please tell us a bit about yourself.
2009-04-10 11:42 AM

User image

Chicago, IL
enginerd - 2009-04-10 9:31 AM

I am not much of a breakfast person. However, before a race I like to have pancakes with peanut butter and jelly. If on the road I make sandwiches instead.

During the races I have been relying on gatorade, GUs, and the occasional cliff bar or powerbar. For the longer races and century rides I also like to have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and bananas.

Not sure this is the best nutrition but it has seemed to work for me so far...
2009-04-10 11:54 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
enginerd - 2009-04-10 7:31 AM

Pre-race, if I'm at home, I always have a multi-grain toast and honey or jam (but peanut butter or nutella is sounding good really good.  fresh almond butter is good stuff too).  If I'm on the road, it's likely just an energy bar for me (sad, I know).  Have to have coffee and I always bring my own beans (roasted and ground at home) and drip filter setup.  During races, I pretty much just rely on gus (the roctane stuff is great) and whatever energy drink they provide at aid stations.  I usually have my aerodrink water bottle filled with cytomax to start.  I usually have one or two energy bars with me on the bike and one of the run if it's 26.2.  I'll eat pretty much whatever solid food is available on the course too.  A couple of the most welcome bits of food on course were grilled cheese sandwich (dick collins fire trails 50) or warm chicken broth (IM Wisconsin).   There are a few century rides I've done with notable food - Best of the Bay had warm homemade food at every stop and Tour D'Organics has local organic food products at every stop (and had a macrobiotic lunch plate).

2009-04-10 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
What do you do for your nutrition pre-race and during your races?

Well, like someone has said, I'll stack up on pasta the days prior and curb red meat.  I try to lay off the caffeine somewhat and focus on quality foods.

Race day I eat about 600 calories 45 minutes out (some podcast claimed it was the magic number and I bought it) and if its a short race I'll eat 300 and pop some caffeine, such as a monster or coke. 

During the race usually go off Clif Bars and GU's, with some electrolyte drink mix.

Nutrition is by far my achilles heel, I never time it right, and I tend to get suckered into too many bad days during training.
2009-04-10 12:12 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB

Yay!!! Thanks! Well here's the scoop on me:

Name: run_yc_run/ Yvonne

Story: 37 years old. I live in Calgary, Canada and I have pretty much always been running, though more seriously in '99 when I decided to train for my first half mary. That was the start and I have since completed 12 full marathons. I have always watched and been interested in triathlons and but swimmng was always the deterrent and I joked that I would do my first tri when they allowed water wings. Watching my DH and friends the last couple of years at IMC and knowing that other friends were signing up for 09 IMC, I got the inspiration and made the commitment. So here I am attempting to go from runner to triathlete....

Family Status: Married to a triathlete (4 years in July), with Linkin our chocolate lab

Current Training: I do train with a tri club that is run through the local college 3x per week but it is mostly focused on short intensity and unfortunately the program takes a break during the summer. We are fortunate to have 3 sport-specific coaches. Including my tri club training, I aim to be swimming 3-4x per week, biking 2-3x per week, and running 3-4x per week. Swimming is by far my BIGGEST weakness and while I am pleased with my progress, I still have a long way to go....so I will be looking for lots of help here!

2008 Races: Chicago Marathon, California International Marathon

2009 Races: MRC Sprint Triathlon, 5Peaks Trail races, Foothills Charity Sprint Triathlon, IM Canada, (I do plan on adding one or two other tri's but have yet to decide)

What will make me a good group member: I consider myself to be a positive and supportive person- something about being a Junior High teacher perhaps. I love to share ideas about training and have some pretty good knowledge when it comes to running, nutrition, wellness and have a great resource with my DH being a long time tri-guy as well as ex-manager of a bike shop.

I am very excited about getting to know you all and participating in geek heaven!

2009-04-10 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2075407

User image

Subject: RE: enginerd's geek heaven - OPEN
kkcbelle - 2009-04-10 12:50 AM Big Sur is, indeed, a treat. It was one of my "Life Goals" (before Bucket Lists came to be!) and I relished every step of the way. It is so gorgeous and well-run and has great post-run eats. I remember being pretty stressed about the elements -- would it rain? would it be windy? would it be cold? I was blessed with one of the clearest, sunniest days when I ran it (2003). Sometimes I feel like maybe I need to run it again just to experience the element challenge. But I think life is too short to do the same marathon twice, as there are so many great ones out there! That said, Big Sur will always tug at my heart strings and I hope I make it back someday. Harder now that I'm not living in the Bay Area, but not out of the question! The race is coming up soon, no? Like within a week or two?

Just ran my last long run (20 mi) this morning: temps in the low 40s, raining, and wind gusts to 25 mph. I'm ready for anything! Except maybe those hills late in the race - the weather didn't make the hills around here any bigger.

As for Donato's question on nutrition, this is one I'm still working on as I haven't done much racing. Today I tried blueberry pancakes for breakfast (I'll add PB next time), ate a couple of fig newtons shortly before my run (a tip I got on a RW forum), and then had water and GU during my run (I don't tolerate Gatorade well). It worked pretty well for me, but I don't know if it's giving me enough electrolytes. I might bring some fig newtons along to munch early in the race so I don't need as much of the GU, which really grosses me out. Back when we didn't have little kids and could go backpacking, I loved Sludge - PB, honey, and powdered milk mixed together in a ziplock baggie - delicious! Not sure how that would go down during more intense activity though...
2009-04-10 2:47 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I don't really change my eating habbits much, maybe a 12 inch sub early the night before a race as all are away from home.  I don't like to eat much before a race, I will maybe have  bar or a bagel about 2 hours out (I just can't wake up at 3-4am to get food prior to the race) and then a gu 15 min before the race starts.  For the marathon I just did 1 gu at 45 minutes and then 1 every 30 minutes from there on and it went fine.  For the bike I will be using Infinit 3x mix = 750 cal per bottle and doing the drink some mix, drink some water to wash it down thing every 20 minutes.  I go easy on the fuilds the last 30 minutes of the bike as I really don't like side cramps at the start of a long run (unless it is like 105 F then I may need some).  I typically had been doing 250 cal/hour on the bike, 200 cal per hour on the run, but will be experimenting with upping the calories on the bike for the IM up to maybe 350-450 cal per hour.  

It would be great to hear how many cal per hour, in whatever form some of our experienced IM ers are using for run and bike.       
2009-04-10 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2076789

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Baowolf - 2009-04-10 12:47 PM
It would be great to hear how many cal per hour, in whatever form some of our experienced IM ers are using for run and bike.       

I am not quite one of the IM ers in the group, but this is what my body (220lbs. 6'4" consumes:

Running: 1100 cal./hour

Cycling: 850-900 cal./hour

Swimming: ~600 cal./hour

Ronen.

2009-04-10 3:23 PM

User image

Master
enginerd - 2009-04-10 9:31 AM

Here's a question of the day for everyone to answer and get us talking about a common subject of interest.  I'm hoping all of you will be able to come up with questions of the day in the future to ask something training related or something just for fun or curiosity.

Good question, great answers, and *very* glad to see we have some Nutella-lovers in the group!!

I eat the same on race-day as on training days: in the morning, a bowl of granola w/soy milk (dairy gives me side aches), plus I gotta have my coffee. The longer the race or workout, the bigger the bowl of granola. Since I eat usually a few hours before a race starts (vs. minutes before a workout), I take along a Cliff bar or two (again, depending on length of the race) and eat as much as my tummy allows (nerves). I also sip on water but try to cut that off in time to take at least two pee breaks before the race starts (I get to races EARLY).

During my marathons/halves I've always brought my own Gu and then drunk water on the course. But I am really trying to get away from Gus as I get huge spikes and valleys with them and prefer a more sustained source of nutrition. I've had good luck with CarboPro (w/Nuun added on warmer days) on long runs. On the bike I seem to be able to stomach most anything. For training I always pack 1-2 sandwiches, either pb/nutella or almond butter/honey, cut into quarters and eaten throughout my ride. If it's a long ride (3+ hours) I also have two bottles of carbopro/water, usually 200-300 calories/bottle. I would like to give Infinit a try but am intimidated by all of the formulas. I need to get them on the phone to figure out what I need. For my current training, my nutrition on a long ride feels good, but I am not left feeling like I have enough nutrition-wise to run a half marathon after 3-4 hrs. on the bike. So I need to figure out how to get more calories on the bike and/or figure out what I'll do on the run for my HIM. I'm not a fan of carrying bottles when I run, either in my hands or around my waist, so I'd like to come up with something that doesn't have me relying on that. Maybe I'll hafta go to a few Gus for the run part? Dunno. If anyone has thoughts/suggestions I'd be all ears!!

The summer before last I rode Seattle To Portland (STP), which is 204 miles over 2 days. Lots of great food stops, and I had my trusty pb/nutella sandos to fill the gaps. Whole Foods sponsored a few of the stops and I remember on a super hot day that crispy cold grapes hit the spot like nothing else.
2009-04-10 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2076849

User image

Master
Ronen - 2009-04-10 3:13 PM

I am not quite one of the IM ers in the group, but this is what my body (220lbs. 6'4") consumes:

Ronen.

How do you know that, Ronen? Do you use a simple formula based on height/weight to figure that out? I'm so clueless as to what I NEED calorie-wise... and feel it would behoove me to figure that out at some point! (I'm 5'6" and about 130-ish lbs.)
2009-04-10 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2076870

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
kkcbelle - 2009-04-10 1:24 PM
Ronen - 2009-04-10 3:13 PM

I am not quite one of the IM ers in the group, but this is what my body (220lbs. 6'4" consumes:

Ronen.

How do you know that, Ronen? Do you use a simple formula based on height/weight to figure that out? I'm so clueless as to what I NEED calorie-wise... and feel it would behoove me to figure that out at some point! (I'm 5'6" and about 130-ish lbs.)

I use a POLAR HRM which takes Age, Height and Weight into account. It measures the number of calories burned given those inputs and based on the HR it measures.

www.FitDay.com has a calculator which can predict one's calories consumption. I'm almost certain that I plugged in my numbers once and got pretty close values.

Now, please be advised that the human body should take in, only so much calories per hour (280 at most I think) so, this would be guideline for how much nutrition you'll need to plan for, during a race or training.

I am really not an expert on that. Maybe someone else in the group can add/correct me if I am wrong.

Ronen.

2009-04-10 4:34 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

I saw a formula once that calculated calories used to calories consumed and certainly you aren't going to take in 1100 calories per hour on a run or bike.  Most folks I have talked to go like 300/350 on the bike and 200 on the run based on just what one can digest/tolerate and such.  I was just curious about what our current group takes in as the topic of food/calories is our topic dejoir.   

2009-04-10 4:35 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
I'm glad nutrition was brought up.  Mine works well pre-racing.  I do higher carb levels a few days before the race but never go nuts.  Race morning I will get up early to make sure I get food in my system early and then take something in about 45 minutes to an hour before race, but it is something race friendly like a gel or gatorade (only if it is a longer race).  What goes wrong for me is during the race.  I am not sure I am treating my racing nutrition right and I am find during shorter distances but I am starting to have issues with losing energy and dragging during my longer training sessions.  Anybody have advice!?!

2009-04-10 4:42 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
This is kind of the same topic, how many calories are you taking in per hour on the bike/run.  You can go 90 minutes on nothing if that is all you are going to do, but after that you need something or you will lose strength.  If I am doing a longer run/bike I will start with some calories at 45 minutes so I can have some digestiong going on by 1 hour when I start to use up my blood glycogen (yes I have spelling issues) and then go in steady 20/30 min increments from there on.  For an Oly you can get away with few calories, but for a HIM you can''t, at least if you are as slow as I am you can't.   
2009-04-10 5:31 PM
in reply to: #2077063

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

crea0029 - 2009-04-10 2:35 PM  What goes wrong for me is during the race.  I am not sure I am treating my racing nutrition right and I am find during shorter distances but I am starting to have issues with losing energy and dragging during my longer training sessions.  Anybody have advice!?!

When I trained for my first marathon, I has the exact same question. I learned from others, that there is not simple answer to that. What I ended up doing (following wise people's advice) was to experiment during training. The idea is to experiment different nutrition plans and take subjective notes on how it felt. Then, whatever worked should be further tweaked to get it even better. By the time I ran 16 and 18 miles, I kind of knew I had it nailed down, and from that point on, I followed that nutrition plan as it was.

Weather has also something to do with nutrition plan. Sometimes, I trained in colder weather and felt great and at times, when running when it was warmer, I felt really bad. I had to learn to adjust on-the-fly my hydration and Enduralyte intake to avoid cramps due to higher sweat rate on warmer days.

I think that another key item here is not to change anything you practiced during training on race day. It is common to read that people report that they had trained well, had their nutrition plan all sorted out, but then on race day, they felt great (initially) and skipped the first gel and then the second plus skipped a drink in an aid station to save some time - but then, later in the race - they started feeling bad and did much worst than they had planned on.

Ronen.

2009-04-10 6:31 PM
in reply to: #2077063

User image

Master
crea0029 - 2009-04-10 4:35 PM

I'm glad nutrition was brought up.  Mine works well pre-racing.  I do higher carb levels a few days before the race but never go nuts.  Race morning I will get up early to make sure I get food in my system early and then take something in about 45 minutes to an hour before race, but it is something race friendly like a gel or gatorade (only if it is a longer race).  What goes wrong for me is during the race.  I am not sure I am treating my racing nutrition right and I am find during shorter distances but I am starting to have issues with losing energy and dragging during my longer training sessions.  Anybody have advice!?!

I find that one of the keys is to stay AHEAD of nutrition. Don't wait until you are hungry/tired/negative, etc. I do have "minimum" runs and rides where I don't take anything (or just h20 on the bike), and they are around the 90-minute range. Anything after that I am prepared to put stuff into my body, and start injesting stuff before I need it cuz catching up on that really sucks, IMO.

I can tolerate different things on a bike ride vs. a long run (stomach much more sensitive for running), and so far it's a bunch of trial and error! Fortunately I wouldn't say there have been too many "errors," but definitely I know when something feels better during and AFTER the long workout. If I come back from a long ride and am ravenous for the rest of the day, that tells me I probably should have eaten more during the ride as well!
2009-04-10 7:14 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
So how much time do you wait to start taking nutrition in on those longer training sessions... 15, 20 minutes?  Longer?
2009-04-10 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2077289

User image

Master
crea0029 - 2009-04-10 7:14 PM

So how much time do you wait to start taking nutrition in on those longer training sessions... 15, 20 minutes?  Longer?

I'm really bad on my bike about taking in nutrition/water, so I am trying to take a few sips every 20 minutes or so. On a long run, I'd probably take nutrition starting around 45 min. and then take it regularly every 20-30 min. or as I feel the need.

2009-04-10 10:18 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
I eat normally during the week, and have a cup of oatmeal a couple of hours before the race.

I am a dork, and run with a trail bottle in my hand. ( Elastic strap so I dont have to grip it, it just stays there. I never have to slow down to drink, I can drink whenever I want too, and I feel green, meaning I dont thrown any trash on the ground that needs to be picked up.

Running I take a gu or shot blocks every 45 minutes if I am going to be out more than 90 minutes total.

On the bike I will normally have one bottle of sports drink and one of water if going more than 90 minutes, and take a gel every hour or so with a sip of water.

Under 90 minutes, one water bottle.
2009-04-11 11:39 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yay no snow today, looks like I will be able to get that hilly bike ride in. 
2009-04-11 5:09 PM
in reply to: #2078031

User image

Master
New York, NY
Baowolf - 2009-04-11 12:39 PM Yay no snow today, looks like I will be able to get that hilly bike ride in. 

That's great!!  I'm counting down the days until I can get my bike off the trainer and outside.
2009-04-11 5:18 PM

User image

Master
New York, NY
I'm also glad the subject of nutrition was brought up.  I'm just starting to think about my nutrition plan for during the HIM.    A day to two days prior to race day I'll load up on extra carbs.  Race morning a couple hours before the start I usually have about 20 oz of accelerade or gatorade, and either whole grain toast/baegel with peanut butter or pb&j sandwich.  But now that you guys mention nutella (mmmmm !!!) I may give that a try next time.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's geek heaven - FULL Rss Feed  

of 27