BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal/Smilford/Mattb1's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2009-12-16 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2556934

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal and Smilford's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED)

Trainers are great... I love mine.  Lots of time on it.  But either get good music or find good movies.  It gets boring really fast!

2009-12-17 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal and Smilford's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED)
Morning team!

I took an unscheduled rest day yesterday to do relax and do stuff at home. That's what's great about the off season. 

Thinking about mentoring i was thinking about what to ask our leaders and the rest of the team.  And i thought about weaknesses.  Most of us are stronger in at least one of the sports than the rest or have a particularly weak spot.  Mine weak spot is swimming and it's a pretty obvious one - I didn't know how to swim at all a year a half ago.  My approach to training has been to take lessons, put in time and not fuss about speed.  I am going 3 days a week - loosely following the sets.  Maybe I am deluding myself but with swimming i assume it takes some time to build the swim-specific strength and adding a lot of intensity without 1. knowledge and 2. enough base might be risking injury.  I am wondering how much longer i should go at this rate before I start applying some pressure to myself on the swim? like timing my sets (I haven't been) and worrying about pace?

So, how should we deal with our weak spots and what are yours and how do deal with them?
2009-12-17 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Start worrying about your pace now.

A well structured workout in the pool with sets of intervals on a set time and rest is the best way to go. It keeps you from slacking and you can measure your progress much easier. Be sure to pick a key set, lets say 10x100s, and repeat it every week or every two weeks. This gives you a great benchmark regularly and something to shoot for every week. The goal should be to always be faster than you were on the previous one the week before. It doesn't matter if at first just finishing the workout is the only goal the first time around.

The great thing about swimming is you can push it a lot more than running or even cycling without much risk of injury. Sure your muscles will scream at you after some hard sets, but you'll bounce back a lot quicker than compared to a hard run workout.

Edited by smilford 2009-12-17 9:19 AM
2009-12-17 9:58 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!

Sorry Britt... this is for Stephen!   Polk-a-dots suck!   just sayin'!

** returning a compliment **
He started it! Tongue out

Edited by Trin2bfast 2009-12-17 9:59 AM
2009-12-17 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2564433

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I think polka dots are HOT, just sayin'.  So back off our mentor!
2009-12-17 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2563131

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
TexasMPGal - 2009-12-16 5:02 PM
Sulcus - 2009-12-16 3:05 PM

4 Degrees and 17 inches of snow is INSANITY!! It was in the 30's this morning during unit PT (physical training) and we were all a little chilly....put it in the 20's and we are FROZEN in Texas!  I really don't know how y'all do it.  I will be in NY for my job from summer 2012-summer 2014...I'm glad I don't despise the trainer, cause I'm going to know it A LOT when I live up there.  The treadmill, well, I do despise that thing, and I'll just bundle up and run outside as much as I can stand it!

New York's a big place so it all depends on what part you are stuck in.  If it's anywhere near the city or Long Island, we generally don't keep any snowfall for very long and the last couple of winters have been kind of mild.  Upstate is another matter entirely though... 

I'll be about 70 miles NW of NYC. I'm actually going to be teaching American Politics at West Point for two years.  I spent 4 years there in college, so I know what I'm in for--if anything it's the wind off the Hudson that can be brutal, and snowfall is hit or miss.  I just know that silk long johns will be an important part of my daily uniform.

That's really neat that you will be teaching there - and getting to know your silk long johns very well!  I actually lived in Poughkeepsie for a while and it reminded me how well snow removal can be done when compared to the NYC metropolitan area (I grew up in New England).  They do snow removal so well up there and that is such a nice area the rest of the year that I hear it is a wonderful area to train in.

As an aside, I played baseball at West Point a few times while in College and gave up a homerun that almost cleared the roadway in left center field.  It even short hopped the building out there so it really was hit a ton.  While it made me really mad at the time, I think I ended up winning the game so I can look back on it now be impressed that I threw a ball that got hit so hard. 

2009-12-17 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2563741

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
crea0029 - 2009-12-16 11:23 PM

Trainers are great... I love mine.  Lots of time on it.  But either get good music or find good movies.  It gets boring really fast!

I just got mine a short time ago and I'm beginning to see why everyone says this. 
2009-12-17 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

For me, running has always been the problem.  To be brutally honest, I dealt with it by mostly avoiding it.  Now that I am restarting, I am trying to figure out how to increase my volume and distance safely.  I've begun incorporating the Couch to 5k program in on my run days and will hopefully have a better sense of where I can go at the end of it.  I just now know that "getting by" in my run training did not leave me very fulfilled on race day.  Watching the people you worked so hard to pass on the swim and bike stream past you is not the way to finish a race. 

I think this is the right way to approach it when starting from zero but if anyone has any other suggestions, I will gladly take them. 

2009-12-17 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2564433

User image

Master
Houston
Can't the weenie watchers and dot haters just get along!

Trin2bfast - 2009-12-17 9:58 AM

Sorry Britt... this is for Stephen!   Polk-a-dots suck!   just sayin'!

** returning a compliment **
He started it! Tongue out

2009-12-17 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
My weakness is probably swimming.  I used to think that I was doing OK, but whenever I go to the pool it seems the people on other side of me just keep swimming laps, while I keep taking breaks.  Obviously I won't be able to easily take breaks when I'm in an open swimSurprised.  So do I just working at it and at some point in time (magicaly) I will be strong enough to not need so many breaks?  Would the drills with the various devices make me stronger?  Another thing is I vary strokes maybe I should just stick to freestyle.  I just don't know Yell.  I am trying to swim 2X a week but I read somewhere that you need to up it to 3 times in order to make progress.

2009-12-17 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2564631

Veteran
I would start incorporating balance drills such as left and right-sided kicking and three stroke/six kicking in the water because that is a huge part of being a good swimmer. Many other drills are on BT and they are broken up into 9 different lessons. I would check them out and I would stick with learning freestyle.

2009-12-17 12:22 PM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
My training plan:

Is to start back up in earnest after Jan. 1, mostly with running and swimming and mixing in some indoor riding and outdoor when possible. First race event will probably be a Shamrock Run in March unless something grabs my fancy sooner than that. I have a pretty good feel for where I need to be to peak at the right time for IMAZ this year. Last year was kind of trial and error and I found I peaked physically at the end of September and kind of went downhill from there. I'm wanting to hold off a bit on the big mileage until probably July-August and then start so I can peak October-Nov. Again, it is all trial and error which I find really cool and fascinating to see what my body, mind and spirit will do. I do find that in order for me to be in tip top shape all three of those things have to be hitting on all cylinders or I don't get the most from myself.

After last years Ironman I found that I want to enjoy the journey much more this year than I did this year. It was all about the race, which was fun and all, but looking back I remember the training days, b, c, and d races and breakthrough days etc. etc. with fond memories just like the race itself. So this year I want to enjoy the process more AND take about 45minutes to an hour off my Ironman time. That is my main goal for the year.

Anyway, had a couple of death investigations this week so it kind of drains me to deal with the loved ones etc. because I hate seeing people in so much pain around the holidays, or anytime for that matter but especially around the holidays. Tell the one's you love you love them!!!
2009-12-17 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2564631

User image

Master
Chicago
jcarmody - 2009-12-17 10:58 AM My weakness is probably swimming.  I used to think that I was doing OK, but whenever I go to the pool it seems the people on other side of me just keep swimming laps, while I keep taking breaks.  Obviously I won't be able to easily take breaks when I'm in an open swimSurprised.  So do I just working at it and at some point in time (magicaly) I will be strong enough to not need so many breaks?  Would the drills with the various devices make me stronger?  Another thing is I vary strokes maybe I should just stick to freestyle.  I just don't know Yell.  I am trying to swim 2X a week but I read somewhere that you need to up it to 3 times in order to make progress.

Does the pool you swim at offer lessons or do you have access to somebody who could help you with swimming?  A lot of swimming is technique.  I'd recommend seeing if you can get somebody to help you out.  If you can't then there are a lot of drills out there to help.  I'm pretty sure there are links on BT and Youtube clips to show you how to properly do them.  Are you following any training plan regarding swimming or just hitting the pool and doing laps? 

Don't worry about what other people are doing around you or how many laps they have gone, just do your thing.  As your form and technique improves you'll be able to swim longer, stronger and faster. You will get there.  When I first started swimming I would swim freestyle for 25 yards and come back doing breaststroke and then take a break.  If you want to improve in swimming and get more comfortable with it, try and get in the water more than 2x per week.   

2009-12-17 2:23 PM

Sorry l have only been a shadow the last few days. Busy packing everything up at base for the holiday season. l should have plenty of time starting tomorrow  to write up all my data in my log and introduce myself properly!

Cheers! 
2009-12-17 8:47 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

If we're talking weaknesses, swimming would be mine.  I've somewhat hit a little of a plateau and I'm sure it's form related.  My endurance increased significantly this past year, but I getting faster is necessary to hit my goals.  I started with a running base, but have built a pretty good bike base now too, and I can attest that the better your bike fitness is to complement a good run, the better run you'll have in the race.

As much as timed sets/intervals in the pool kick my butt and make me cringe when I see them on the schedule, I know they have helped a bunch.  I have become better at pacing. I used to be quite different between each set, but I'm much more consistent now.  Stephen pushed me hard to work on that consistency, and I know I need help with it more. As for getting in the pool, it's the toughest of the three for me to do due to limited hours, and I can do it out the front of my door like I can run or ride! I've also been recovering from IMAZ and it's time to start getting back in the pool more.  Tomorrow I get to swim with Hilde!! Yay!  That means I'll actually get out of bed...I hope.

2009-12-18 3:49 AM

Subject: RE: TexasMPGal/Smilford/Mattb1's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED)
Well here is my intro:

NAME: Alon (Or just Braz)

STORY: 21 years old, which I have learnt is a fairly young age to be getting into Triathlon (go figure?). I am currently serving in the Australian Navy and love my job very much. I first got interested in triathlons when I bought some books on the sport to improve my running for the military. I was already a good swimmer, and did a bit of mountain biking, so I thought I would make the leap into triathlon.

Being away most of last few years for work meant I could not get a lot of races in, so most of my experience in triathlons to date has been mainly on the training side of things, and I have a good understanding of training and exercise theory. 

My other passion is Adventure Racing, which I think puts a lot more emphasis on technical skills, quick thinking, navigation, and logistics - rather than just fitness alone. It is a pleasant outing every time, and I will definitely be using both triathlon and adventure racing to supplement each other throughout the years to come.

Long term I hope to gain sponsorship of some sort at least in Adventure Racing, and possibly even long course triathlon somewhere down the track.

FAMILY STATUS: According to the military I am single, although I have a very lovely girlfriend who I have been with for two years now, and do not see us being apart for a long time to come

CURRENT TRAINING: Being in the military, I am lucky enough to be able to do something physically active every day. I normally get between 8-14 hours of training a week, and that is being conservative. Once I get a little bit more into the training and once my body can handle it, there is plenty of room for the weeks to turn into 20 hour training weeks. 

I am very guilty of just using time to go out and ride all the trails nearby on my mountain bike, or just go trail running, instead of road riding or swimming like I know I should.... But my 2010 race goals should explain things.

2009  RACES: A few duathlons, an OD triathlon, and 2 Adventure races. Like I said, not much because of work!

2010 RACES: 2010 will be a focus on Adventure Racing unfortunately. I have a pretty junky road bike, so I am less inclined to focus on triathlons until I at least get a set of aerobars. However, 2010 will be the year I start to put together my first TT bike so maybe a few long distance races at the end of the year might be the trick.

WEIGHTLOSS: Sitting at around 80kg at the moment, which is a few Kgs above my norm. I have promised myself I will be around 75kg by June 2010.

My BT Logs will be a little bit patchy, as some times I will be in areas with no internet, so please don't yell at me! They will be up every few days.

Looking forward to training with everyone!

2009-12-18 6:40 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal/Smilford/Mattb1's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED)
What's on tap for everyone today?

I set a poor example yesterday of getting out of bed and getting the workouts done(not that I had to really work yesterday either). I fixed that today though.
2009-12-18 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2566144

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Just got done swimming 2600 yds (2400 meters) w/ Brit and have a 3.5 mile run on tap this afternoon.  Tomorrow is a rest day and we're travellling out of town for the day.   Sunday is a long run of 5 miles (just starting back which is why it's only 5 miles) and maybe an outdoor bike.

My weakness is most definitely the run.  In all my races so far, I've had a huge lead in my AG off the bike, only to watch them pass me one by one on the run.  My winter goal is to maintain the swim, probably 3-4x a week, 4 runs a week and I will fit in what bike I can until the weather warms up and I can get outside on a regular basis.  When I can't get outside on the bike, I've been going to the gym and doing the Expresso bike... it's an upright, and obviously not the best choice as opposed to a trainer, but since I don't have one of those, I enjoy the fake riding complete with the video screen on the Expresso.  I am extremely competitive and I sure do like bringing home the bling!
2009-12-18 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2562445

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
crea0029 - 2009-12-16 1:22 PM

junthank - 2009-12-16 10:31 AM
crea0029 - 2009-12-15 5:04 PM

I look forward to heading your way in Jan for the Disney marathon.  I can imagine training during the summer would be a challenge but at least you don't have 17 inches of snow and let's see... our high temperature today I believe is going to be 4... like 4 degrees F.  Totally crazy!!

Sounds like a fun race to do.  Your right it is a challenge but.....  you can keep you snow and low temps!!!
2009-12-18 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2564161

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
juniperjen - 2009-12-17 9:49 AM Morning team!

So, how should we deal with our weak spots and what are yours and how do deal with them?

Like you swimming was my limiter when I started a year ago.  I could swim... but only 40 yards consecutively and then I had to find a wall.  Very frustrating and I hated going to the pool.  In fact I contemplated just doing run, bike.  The key for me was finally getting a feel for relaxation in the water.  Took me almost 6 months to get there but once I started to relax I was able to go longer distances.  Learning how to swim bilaterally was key.  I'm not FAST in the water (or anywhere else for that matter!!) but now I feel comfortable in the water and actually enjoy my swim workouts (unless there are FAST intervals in the plan
2009-12-18 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2566350

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Junthank - What do you mean by "swimming bilaterally"? 

2009-12-18 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Good morning! Another chilly day in Toronto - but we're really lacking on the snow. Although it's great for running the cold temps are much more bearable with a bright layer of snow!

Anyway, slept in a bit this morning so no morning work out.  I do plan on either biking or swimming tonight.  It will probably be a bike since I haven't yet gotten on the bike this week.  But i really hate my gym's pool on the weekend - lack of adult swim times ...

Hope everyone is having a great day! I should be productive today!
2009-12-18 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2566380

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
jcarmody - 2009-12-18 9:35 AM Junthank - What do you mean by "swimming bilaterally"? 

I think he's talking about bilateral breathing while swimming. Where you breathe on both left and right side - usually every three strokes.

2009-12-18 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2564575

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Sulcus - 2009-12-17 11:37 AM

For me, running has always been the problem.  To be brutally honest, I dealt with it by mostly avoiding it.  Now that I am restarting, I am trying to figure out how to increase my volume and distance safely.  I've begun incorporating the Couch to 5k program in on my run days and will hopefully have a better sense of where I can go at the end of it.  I just now know that "getting by" in my run training did not leave me very fulfilled on race day.  Watching the people you worked so hard to pass on the swim and bike stream past you is not the way to finish a race. 

I think this is the right way to approach it when starting from zero but if anyone has any other suggestions, I will gladly take them. 

I don't know how our mentors feel about this (?) but one thing that helped me a great deal when I was starting with my running was implementing the Run/Walk protocol.

http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/running/run_walk_mcgee

This helped me a deal with my run endurance and overall pace believe it or not.  I'll defer to our mentors on the subject.
2009-12-18 8:45 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Thanks to Hilde for getting me out of bed this morning to swim! We met at Abrams and knocked out our sets, then it was a slow (for me) 4 mile run with my troops.  I may run again this evening, but that depends upon how much I get done in the house, lots to do.

About the run/walk method--I don't personally have experience with it, but it smart to grow run endurance progressively vs. adding lots of mileage.  Just adding mileage to fast leads to injury.  So yes, if you're a new runner building endurance and need to do some walking, then doing the run walk combo will help you get there, just continue to cut down the walk time as your endurance grows and you'll be running more and more. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal/Smilford/Mattb1's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 23