BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal/Smilford/Mattb1's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2009-12-13 9:42 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: TexasMPGal/Smilford/Mattb1's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED)

Co-Led Team: Brittany and Stephen
Looking for athletes with some experience in triathlon and/or running (speeds don't matter!) who want to get stronger and faster in 2010 and want the accountability and training dialogue from a mentor group.  
NAME:
TexasMPGal/Brittany
STORY: I'm an active duty Army Captain/Military Police Officer currently at Ft. Hood, TX.  I started training for my first marathon while in Iraq in 2006/2007, and did my first marathon in Feb '08 after redeploying. One of my best friends convinced me, while I was in Iraq that I should give triathlon a shot. I wasn't sure, but found BT and got HOOKED immediately--before I even owned a bike. Bought my first tri-bike less than two-weeks after I redeployed.  My first tri-season was 2008 and I had a pretty good first season using BT plans and did two HIMs and multiple sprints/olympics.  The addiction had bit me and I signed up for Ironman Florida '09.  I was looking for a coach, and ended up working with Stephen (Smilford) here on BT.  After dealing with an early season stress fracture from a bike fall (Mar '09), I salvaged a pretty good season of racing and training all in prep for Ironman.  Through a variety of events you can read about in my Ironman race report if you want the details, I ended up doing Ironman Arizona '09 instead.  IMAZ went AWESOME and I am now huge fan of the Iron distance.  I'm faster than I look, and I hope to get faster still!! Some big goals in my future, and we'll see how the years can shape it!  I will be coming out of command (my current job) in Mar/Apr '10 and then headed somewhere (Austin/San Diego/Nashville) for graduate school for two years.  Lots of time for triathlon during full-time grad school on the Army's dime!  I'm still working with Stephen and have learned much from him!  We're co-leading this group because we both have busy lives, but together would like to help facilitate a group of triathletes to get stronger and faster in 2010!
FAMILY STATUS: Single, two little pooches named Annie and Davey
CURRENT TRAINING: 2010 is going to be the year of the fast Half-Iron and Marathon. 
2009  RACES: Ironman Arizona, Redman Half-Iron, Austin Olympic, TriWaco Olympic, CapTex Olympic, Austin 1/2 Marathon, Lonestar Half-Iron Aquabike
2010 RACES:  Austin 1/2 Marathon (2/14); Lampassas 10k (3/6); Dallas RnR Half-Marathon (3/14) (maybe); Lonestar 70.3 (4/25); San Diego RnR Marathon (6/6); San Antonio RnR Marathon (11/14) and I'll plan the rest when I know where I will live!! I hope to do 3 HIMs and 2 Marathons.
WEIGHTLOSS: Yeah, a little, not so much "from" triathlon, but more to be FASTER at triathlon.  10-12 lbs would be ideal
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have learned SO much over the past two years of triathlon.  I have experienced every distance of running from 5K-Marathon, and triathlon from sprint-Ironman.  The journey has taught me about consistency, about nutrition, about mental training, and about improvement. I have gone from the girl who hated running to loving it and running a sub-4 marathon in my first Ironman. I went from never really riding a bike to racking up 6000 plus miles in 2009. It's about dedication (with FUN of course!), and I hope to share that. Teamed up with Stephen, one of the reasons I was able to have a successful 2009, I believe that we can help motivate and hold accountable those that want to grow faster and stronger in 2010.  You don't have to be super fast, but you have to want to work to get faster.  Think you're ready for the challenge? Want to be pushed? Want to hear ideas and philosophies on how to train the body and the mind to take the next step forward?  If so, that's what we hope to do! 

Edited by TexasMPGal 2009-12-17 8:49 PM

2009-12-14 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2556934

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal and Smilford's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (OPEN)
NAME: Stephen aka smilf

STORY: Well if you really go back to find what got me started in all of this, you'd have to go back almost 6 years now. I had a really bad snow skiing accident that has given me plenty of surgeries to have done over the past few years. I had some shoulder damage that kept me from doing anything for about 8 months after the accident. I never got really over weight, but I was 'soft' and more out of shape than I've ever been in my life. I didn't like it. So I started to jog and my first time out I barely made it half a mile. Over the next 2 or 3 years I was just a jogger just trying to stay 'normal'. Then in mid 2005 I had a school project and for the project I decided to run 10 miles and document the process. Basically ever since then I've been interested in competing in endurance sports. However it wasn't till 2006 that I would do any sort of race. Though we have to thank Lance and the 2004 and 2005 tour de france for making me want to get a bike. Otherwise I would of been happy as a pure runner.
It's now been just a little over three years since my first triathlon back in September of 2006 in Freeport Texas. I had started training for triathlons in early 2006 and quickly became hooked. Three years later I went back to the same race, won overall and set the course record. Like I said I got addicted! I've never seen huge gains in any of the sports at any one time. It's just been a steady growth from consistent training. Most people think I'm a ex HS/College runner or even swimmer, but I started from ground zero just like most people did. Just some good hard training of the past few years, and it's been a lot of fun.

FAMILY STATUS: Single... aka plenty of time on my side.

CURRENT TRAINING: Enjoyed a bit of a off season now I have to start getting serious again. Current focus is getting my run in shape again. I've got one main goal for 2010 and I gotta get going if I want to get that.

2010 RACES: My main three races will be Galveston Lonestar Olympic, Buffalo Springs 70.3 and National Championship (Olympic).

2009 RACES: I race a lot! I did three olympics lots of sprints and attempted one half where I flatted out at mile 40 of the bike.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I really enjoy helping others in this sport. I love to watch people get faster. I do coach a few athletes locally and a couple a far, like Brittany. So helping Brit with her mentor program this year seemed like a very logical step for me.
2009-12-14 10:38 AM

Veteran
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal and Smilford's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (OPEN)
My name is Monica.
Last season I completed 3 sprints and 1 olympic. I am trying to move up to either more olympics a/o and an HIM this year.
Running has been the hardest part to build any kind of base because I am getting over foot surgeries on each. My surgeon said last time that I was good to go and see him on a PRN basis. So far, I am training for a half mary in March and I am currently following a running program that gradually builds over time, which I think I need.
Aside from tri training, my work schedule is very hectic and I put in long days. Somehow, I wonder how I get all of the training in. I have really gotten hooked on this sport!
I need to get pushed and will love getting the inspires!
2009-12-14 8:54 PM
in reply to: #2557496

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
monicamm68 - 2009-12-14 10:38 AM My name is Monica.
Last season I completed 3 sprints and 1 olympic. I am trying to move up to either more olympics a/o and an HIM this year.
Running has been the hardest part to build any kind of base because I am getting over foot surgeries on each. My surgeon said last time that I was good to go and see him on a PRN basis. So far, I am training for a half mary in March and I am currently following a running program that gradually builds over time, which I think I need.
Aside from tri training, my work schedule is very hectic and I put in long days. Somehow, I wonder how I get all of the training in. I have really gotten hooked on this sport!
I need to get pushed and will love getting the inspires!

Monica, welcome! I understand the busy work schedule and long days! Lots of early morning workouts in my normal training!  When you have a chance, use the bio format above so everyone that joins the group can get an easy glance and glimpse into who you are!

This is definitely the group that is meant to push, hold accountable, and put together some good discussions on smart training, cause you're that much more effective if you work SMARTER and HARDER!
2009-12-14 9:01 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Brittany & Steve,

Two for the price of one.  Can't beat that!!!  If you have room I'd like to join your group.  Kicking off my 2nd season of tri'ing.  Will be doing Sprint, Olympic and HIM distance races during the upcoming season.  Certainly accountable as far as training goes.  Currently on a 15 week base building plan.  Will post a better bio a little later.     
2009-12-14 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2558906

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
junthank - 2009-12-14 9:01 PM Brittany & Steve,

Two for the price of one.  Can't beat that!!!  If you have room I'd like to join your group.  Kicking off my 2nd season of tri'ing.  Will be doing Sprint, Olympic and HIM distance races during the upcoming season.  Certainly accountable as far as training goes.  Currently on a 15 week base building plan.  Will post a better bio a little later.     

Welcome, hopefully you get your money's worth in this two for one deal. The 2nd season is fun cause you aren't as surprised at some of the racing pieces and can really help piece together things, while still seeing improvements.  Good year to push through to another level! Looking forward to reading more about you!

2009-12-14 9:42 PM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
Brittany and Steve

I would like to join your group to help me with my endurance sports in 2010. I recently completed IMAZ in 13 hours 11 minutes and 48 seconds. I was sick for the last month before the race and had expected a result of about 15 hours so I signed up to do IMAZ again in 2010 because I didn't want 2009 to be my only experience in Ironman. However, I have told myself that I am going to do an Ironman a year until I can't do them anymore. I have unlimited/unending support from my awesome wife or none of this would be possible. She has learned through the years that the better I feel about myself the better life is for all of us. However, I sacrifice training for family events. I have NEVER missed one of the kids sporting events or school events and don't plan on it anytime soon.

I really enjoyed Brittany's race report from IMAZ and think she would make a good mentor. I am a former Marine, so don't hold that against me Brittany, and now currently work as a police officer in Oregon. I have done that for 11 years now and love every minute of it and can't see myself doing anything else. I have a commercial pilot's license and thought I might fly for a living when I got out of the Marine Corps but I am too much of an A type personality and flying was too boring.

I have been married 18 years and have 5 kids. The immediate reaction I get from most people about that is when do you train. I push the younger kids in the jog stroller and the older kids ride their bikes with me when I run so they are involved in the training with me. They all love to get out and train with dad. Two of my kids have joined a swim team so they go with me and swim in the evenings also. Life is challenging as I work the graveyard shift Tues-Friday so I have to make good use of my time, but I'm up for it.

In 2010 I am scheduled to be at the Rock n Roll marathon Seattle in June and then IMAZ in Nov. I will most likely do two marathons and two HIM races working up to IMAZ. I will also fit in some shorter distance races just to keep motivated. I challenge my co-workers to do races with me so I go to some 5k's and 10k's with them. I love it!!!

I am a previous College football player and am 6'2'' tall and weigh about 220. I am not built for endurance events but I love them so I'm gonna do em'. I don't go too fast but I just keep pluggin' til I finish. I am pretty much a self starter but like anyone else I hit hard times throughout the year and love support and encouragement from others who know what I'm goin' through. So being part of a mentor group will be awesome.

Look forward to a great year and thanks for letting me be a part.
2009-12-14 10:01 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Steve and Brittany,

Can I join in?

My name is Pam and I am a 24 year old living in chilly, snowy Green Bay, WI.  I have been doing triathlons for 5 years and truly love the sport.  I am an counselor in an impatient child psychiatric hospital unit so that keeps me busy.

Family Status:  I am currently married to my job and nursing school.  Between the two it is like being married with 7 kids.  My job is very time consuming and rotates between the 7-3 and 3-11 shift with the ocassional overnight (11-7).  That is on top of studying and classes.

Current Training:  I am right now training for the Walt Disney World Marathon which is in 26 days.  I have not been running as much as I should have, but I will explain the trials of that in the 2009 races.

2009 Races:  I don't know where to start.  Last year, I completed numerous running races, two HIM, 3 half marathons, a couple of bike races, and a bunch of shorter races.  The big finish was to be Ironman Wisconsin.  Sadly  I was forced to drop out during the bike.  This was beyond devastating for me.  Here I thought this was going to be the greatest finish to my season ever and between all kinds of little problems, I crumbled under it and DNFed.  It is 3 months later and I am not back to normal.  I am running Disney in hopes of putting a solid race under my belt but am having trouble being consistent with my training.  I need help to get back on track. 

2010 Races:  I plan on going back to my roots of more triathlons.  I want to up my endurance base so I will be working with longer races and training.  I plan on doing two HIM, possibly the Chicago Triple Challenge, a couple of half marathons and a couple of full marathons with some sprints thrown in there for fun.  My goal is to build during this year and attempt IM WI in 2011 and be successful.  I learned a lot from that race and am now ready to do what I need to do to accomplish that goal.

Weightloss:  I need to lose about 50 pounds.  I was much closer to my goal just 6 months ago but the post Ironman DNF depression caused me to stop working out and start eating way too much.  I struggle with weightloss so it is not going to be easy but I know it needs to come off before I train for IM WI in 2011.

I look forward to being part of a mentor group.  I really need people to ride me for awhile and get me back on track.  Help me!

2009-12-14 10:02 PM

User image

New user

Torrance
Hi there! I'm Gina, 35 years old.  Really enjoy biking (bike about 22 miles at a time) and somewhat enjoy running (run around 5 miles at a time).  While my bike was being repaired I had to run and realized my endurance had greatly improved from the biking.  So, now I bike and run.  Needing a goal I decided to check into the sprint tris.  My short term goal is to finish and from there on work on my times.  I don't think I'll move up to Olympics since I don't really enjoy long distance runs.  My background should help me.  I have a Masters degree in Health and Sports Science, was a student athletic trainer in college and high school athlete (soccer and track).  Plus, I have been active  doing weight training.  Tris are totally new to me and I am excited to have a female mentor.   
2009-12-14 10:25 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Hey guys and welcome aboard. Don't worry I'll have no problem getting on your butt when you slack off.
2009-12-15 3:20 AM

Ma'am and Stephen, l would very much love to be part of your mentor group. My name is Alon, and l am currently serving in the Australian military (which is why l suppose l must call you Ma'am :D), so the sense of work ethic and maintaining fitness is drilled into me l suppose. lt does get lonely here though on base, having no one else interested in multisport, so a mentor group should be just the thing l need. For next year my aims mainly center around Adventure Racing rather than triathlon, but l am using the Adventure racing as a fun cross trainer for the longer distance triathlons l will be attempting the following year when l have the basic gear. l am a complete beginner when it comes to triathlon, having participated in only two shorter course races, but l have a solid grounding in swimming, hiking, climbing, and surf lifesaving lronman. So it will be fairly easy for me to start logging the serious miles.

Edited by a.brasington 2009-12-15 1:46 PM

2009-12-15 5:14 AM
in reply to: #2559121

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Brit and Stephen,

I would like to be a part of your group.  I have lots of self-motivation, but could use a kick in the pants to make me even better!  I have been an admirer of Brittany's work ethic for a year now.

My bio:  I am 2 weeks from a young age 52!  Just finished my first season of tris and did 4 sprints and one OLY.    Placed well in all of them, won AG in two.  I come from a swim background and am very comfortable in the water.  I do okay at the bike, but looking to pick up some speed and endurance.  I've never been a runner, but I am working on it!  Suffered a couple of injuries last year and had to lay off and am now about a month coming back to it.  I am currently working towards a half-mary the end of Feb.   My main goal is to get to the point that I don't die in the run leg of a tri.  I am currently about 10:30ish/mile and looking to get into the low 9's someday.  I am not afraid of hard work and train 100% solo.

I am married (26 years tomorrow!), 2 adult children that live nearby, 4 dogs (2 older wire-haired dachshunds and 2 bassett puppies).  Due to few family commitments I can easily train in the early mornings and after school.  I am an elementary music teacher.

Weight loss?  H3LL yeah, I want that.  I've lost about 40 pounds in the past 16 months or so, and would like to get down another 10 to race weight.

Current training:  run focus right now, trying to maintain the swim, and do a little biking and will hit that harder once I can really get outside on the bike in the afternoons (ie warmer and lighter!).  Am looking to do several sprints and a couple of OLYs this year.  I may eventually want to work up to a HIM, but I can't see ever doing an Ironman, don't think I have it in me, but who knows?

2009-12-15 6:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Brittany / Stephen -

I would like to join your team!  I am a soon to be 50 year old with triathlon goal - distance to be determined - for 2010.  I have completed 6 marathons and am aching to break the 4 hour mark (I had a 4:01 in 2008, 4:10 in 2009).  Last year I bought a road bike and worked hard during last summer to become familiar with all things bike.  I was on the swim team in school, but that was a long time ago so my swim endurance needs a lot of work.  So basically I need help puting it all together.

I live in Michigan so we are entering into the cold / snowy time and I think a group will help me to stay motivated.  I also liked what you said in your bio about accountability.

Married / no children / 2 great hound dogs!

Janet

2009-12-15 7:40 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Wow! We exploded over night! I don't want to go more than 10, so we'll close out real soon here.  If you haven't posted the bio yet, take some time to do that.  We at least need to know your first names.
A couple of requirements for this group so we can meet the intent of accountability
- Use your BT logs! This is hugely important as consistency is hugely important to improvement! You don't have to blog about your day, what your dog did, or what you bought Aunt Sue for Christmas, BUT, do log your workouts, and if you have a training plan, BT or otherwise, try putting it in your log as well.
- Participation.  This whole thing is a two-way street.  Once we close up, we'll list links for everyone's logs so it's easy for you to pop in, encourage, and push each other. Also, be prepared to ask questions here, that drive's discussions and that gives us more knowledge.  GI Joe taught me that "knowing is half the battle!"
- Lastly, don't be offended if Smilford calls you a weenie.  It's not a matter of if, but when, and it's done in tough love, trust me. I've gotten used to it and apparently it motivates.

2009-12-15 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Hi! I'd love to join your group!

I am a bit more than a beginner but not by much. I'll post my profile stuff in a few!
2009-12-15 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
NAME: juniperjen/Jen

STORY:  I am an uber-dedicated runner who is converting to a triathlete - so i still consider myself a wannabe.  I started running with a local running store just to get out more and to see if i could do it. I'd always admired runners though i was never particularly athletic myself (I was more of an aerobics queen) so i signed up for the 10k group. I was hooked! That was 2005 and i have gone on to do 5 marathons and a host of other races.  I met my now fiance at said running store - we were both training four our first marathon.  He was doing it so he knew he could get through the run leg of the Ironman which was big goal for him.  Well, three years later and we're engaged!

Having exposure to triathlon which I knew little about opened my eyes to a new challenge. I watched him in a duathlon and thought 'that looks fun.'  And then later we went to Ironman Canada and I knew I had a problem because I thought it was awesome not crazy.  Two small issues: I didn't own a bike nor did i know how to swim.  So, I set about to fix that.  I took a whole host of swim lessons last year.  And i got a road bike.

Running is definitely my strong suit and i've come a long way. My first half marathon i did in 2:20 and this year without much specific training did 1:50:00. 

I did three tris and a du this year.  The swim was bad. I have fear of the deep water. I can swim but all my years of being a total non-swimmer are tough to get over.  I had a really bad time at a sprint I decided to do. I got really scared and had the boat take me in.  I was strong and did the rest of the race but i was really disappointed in myself.  I then signed up for a mini sprint. I had to have a good race and i did manage to have a great swim. In that mini sprint I came out of the water sooooo happy!  Turns out i came in 24th overall - it was a women's race. But that lifted my spirits and gave me hope for next season!

I am proud of myself for meeting that fear head on though and hope to be able to make it further. 

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged recently - living with my fiance who is also a triathlete and our chocolate lab, Sam, and our kitty, Boots

CURRENT TRAINING:  Following a BT winter maintenance plan. I love training! Will be adding more run in the next few weeks to gear up for the 30k race in March. The goal is to PB - beating last year's time of 2:47.

2009  RACES: This was a very busy year for me: 2-30k run races, 1 marathon, a 10k, a 5k, a half marathon, 2 mini sprints, a duathlon, and a sprint tri (well, i didn't get through the swim but did the rest)  

2010 RACES:  30k run, 10k run, Victoria's Du, Guelph Lake Sprint, Toront Island Sprint, and either an olympic or HIM in September.

WEIGHTLOSS:
This is not a big focus for me. I need to watch my nutrition but otherwise i am a healthy weight for my age and height

2009-12-15 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

Much like my races, I'd like to bring up the rear and be part of the group, if you'll have me.  I promise that I'll work on my bio after my meeting at 9:30. 

2009-12-15 8:31 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal and Smilford's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED!)
Alright, closing us out!! Will compile everyone later!!
2009-12-15 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2559362

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal and Smilford's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED!)
Yea!!!  I made it to the best mentor group on BT... I feel like I just got a part in the school play!!!
2009-12-15 9:39 AM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal and Smilford's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED)
I'm not sure I posted it or not but my name is Greg, I think it says that at the bottom of the page somewhere but I look forward to encouraging everying to meet their goals and also being called a weenie. I might get that sooner than later. Hopefully we can all make it through the Christmas season without blowing up. I have taken a couple of weeks off after IMAZ and am now ready to start doing something. Look forward to getting to know everyone a bit better.

2009-12-15 9:41 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal and Smilford's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED)
Brittany & Stephen, Here's to a great 2010 for y'all!  For your MG peeps ~ you are in some great tri hands!

2009-12-15 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2559484

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
hildekq - 2009-12-15 10:14 AM Yea!!!  I made it to the best mentor group on BT... I feel like I just got a part in the school play!!!

YAY!! Hi to the team!
2009-12-15 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Filled up quickly!

Looks like a good group. Just remember communication is the key factor in all of this. That goes for me and Brittany as well as everyone else in this group. The more we all put in the more everyone will get out. So no being shy, ask lots of questions if you have them and get around to others blogs to inspire them.
2009-12-15 1:50 PM

l normally hand-write my logs into a Journal, but l shall start transferring them over to the BT logs!Looking forward to taking and giving some much needed encouragement! Go team!
2009-12-15 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Here's my long intro - my apologies ahead of time if you fall asleep!

NAME:
Sulcus/Shawn

STORY: I am 33 year old ex-athlete who blew out his shoulder while playing baseball in College and then moved to New York City.  I dabbled in tennis (my serves were hee-larious as I tried to not aggravate my shoulder) and then did a fair amount of hiking when I finally moved back out of the city.  Since then, I’ve gotten the shoulder fixed, mucked it back up again by trying to do too much too soon and moved back to NYC.  This time I learned my lesson though and moved out near Long Island though. 

I took up triathlons last year as a challenge to myself.  I have always played team or competitive sports against someone, a scoreboard, etc.  Triathlons are only against yourself, which is a huge change for me.  I also always saw running as a means to an end (you run to get more fit so you can do your sport better) or as a form of punishment (drop the ball, that’s two laps!).  I am coming around but it’s been a long slow process.

My first season was very mixed, to say that least.  I signed up for 7 races and actually only did 3.  The first one, I spent 12 hours in a car visiting with donors (I fundraise for a living) two days before and somehow managed to get a cramp so bad that I pulled something in my back.  My second race had the swim rained out and I was not confident enough to do a duathlon.  This is probably my biggest regret from last year.

The 3rd and 4th races went just fine and I enjoyed them immensely.  My 5th sprint turned into a duathlon due to rain but, with a little encouragement (not to mention big boot in the arse) from my now wife, I did it.  It ended up being great because I ran the longest distance in one day that I ever have in my life. 

I got really sick before my next race and then mentally spiraled downward until I just missed my next race because I had not trained enough (part of this was also my getting involved in online computer games again).  This was my second biggest disappointment of the season.

Since then, I’ve gotten married in Mexico (the planning of which took up much more time than I thought it should), honeymooned and gained back 10 lbs that I had lost.  Now, like the Six Million Dollar Man, I am rebuilding myself, making myself stronger, faster and better as I get back into training and look forward to 2010.

FAMILY STATUS: Just married on November 12, though we’ve lived together for over 7 year now.  We also have two foster care cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently doing an introductory sprint plan and then I will be moving on an Olympic bridge and the full Olympic plan to prepare for the Nautica New York City Triathlon in July.

2009  RACES: 3 sprint tri’s – out of 7 I signed up for (see above).  That’s just so embarrassing to write to but I have to own it if I want to move forward and not let it happen again.

2010 RACES:  I just began looking at my race schedule a little more fully.  Currently, I have sprints in May and June and an Olympic in July.  I am contemplating another Olympic in September and possibly even a half-iron in November, if my early season goes well.  I am also thinking of sprinkling in some duathlons as well since I won’t get any better at running if I don’t do it.

WEIGHTLOSS: I’m down 15 lbs from when I started but back up 10 lbs from the 25 lbs I had lost when I gave up/got too busy in the fall.  I really would love to lose about 50 lbs and need to commit to keeping a food diary to do so because triathlon training alone doesn’t seem to do the trick for me.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I had a great experience in my mentor group in the summer and learned a tremendous amount from them.  I think I am starting to get the basics of training and racing down but I want to learn more as well as have some folks that I can hold myself accountable to.  I also want some guidance as I make the transition from sprints to longer distances and I know that I can’t come up with all the questions.

Okay – I know that was a load to read but I thought I’d introduce myself fully.  I am really excited for this group and hope that I can gain a little bit of the enthusiasm that I have already seen in here!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal/Smilford/Mattb1's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 23