General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-05-19 2:56 PM
in reply to: #2869065

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance : Official Thread
Porfirio - 2010-05-19 3:48 PM Website reads that the water temps, in the past, has been 60/70's. Can that be so in November?

Gulf Stream.  I think that the water temperature was 67 last year.

Myrtle is listed as 61 in November (the data for Wilmington isn't there)

What do the general temps look like? Googled for some pics & the spectators seemed to be dressed to impress the gods of coolness.

In mid-November, the average low is 45 and the average high is 69.

Edited by jmkizer 2010-05-19 3:06 PM

2010-05-19 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2869089

User image

DC
jmkizer - 2010-05-19 2:56 PM
Porfirio - 2010-05-19 3:48 PM Website reads that the water temps, in the past, has been 60/70's. Can that be so in November?

Gulf Stream.  I think that the water temperature was 67 last year.

Myrtle is listed as 61 in November (the data for Wilmington isn't there)

What do the general temps look like? Googled for some pics & the spectators seemed to be dressed to impress the gods of coolness.

This will prove to be very interesting then--training in the heat & racing in the cool.
2010-05-19 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2869089

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
jmkizer - 2010-05-19 3:56 PM 

I am LOVING this!  Can't wait!

The next six months are going to FLY by!!! Laughing 
2010-05-19 11:24 PM
in reply to: #2687568

User image

Expert
NoVA
The water is definitely upper 60's last year---VERY comfortable for a full sleeve wetsuit!!!  That said the air temp at the start of the full was 37* so even when I was getting on the bike it was only about 40* at most and it warmed to about 60* on the bike....this IS something to think about and train for (WHAT to wear!!).  This is a difficult race for the temp range in the sense that you get on the bike wet (unless you do a full change which plenty of people do) in the high 30's/low 40's but you ride into the 60's and then the sun goes down on the run (remember there's a time change just prior to the race so sunset is just after 5pm) and once the sun does down the temps drop pretty quickly.  Carol (keyone) made a point last year of logged what she was wearing durning training last year and the temp---a pretty good idea actually!! 

I will share what worked for ME last year---full sleeve wetsuit over a one piece trisuit, T1--wetsuit off and I put a long sleeve full front zip bike jersey on (easy even when wet since full zip and had three pockets in the back for bars/gels/tub/co2 since I rode with only aerodrink and one frame cage---lived off the course and no place to put a flat kit) bike shoes on--NO socks but did have toe covers on my shoes and a CHEAP pair of those wal-mart one size fits all stretchy gloves to keep the hands from freezing---during the ride I unzipped jersey a little and took the gloves off---easily could have thrown away at an aid station since cheap, T2 off with the bike jersey and bike shoes and on with the socks running shoes and off to run---again I wore a one piece trisuit from start to finish----I had a long sleeve tech shirt in my run special needs bag (which is at the half way point of the run) in case my day didn't go as planned and as I was going to be out there after sunset but I didn't need that so didn't bother even getting special needs bag....

PLEASE feel free to ask any/all questions about this (or anything else) and I'll try to answer with what worked for ME...
2010-05-20 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2869995

User image

DC

PLEASE feel free to ask any/all questions about this (or anything else) and I'll try to answer with what worked for ME...

Very informative. Thanks. Crud! All of the sudden, sounds REALLY cold. Anyone else feel this way?
2010-05-20 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2870455

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Porfirio - 2010-05-20 8:47 AM

Very informative. Thanks. Crud! All of the sudden, sounds REALLY cold. Anyone else feel this way?

It's NC, so could just as easily be 80 degrees on that day. I've played golf on New Years day before.

Aqua Girl, didn't you have a torn meniscus last year? How's it feeling?

2010-05-20 9:26 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
First, just signed up my relay team!! Now it seems real for me.  I am doing the swim/bike portion which should be fun!  Water temp sounds perfect. 

Couple of questions:
Swim booties or swim cap?  I believe I heard they were allowed.  I get leg cramps with the cold and may consider the booties.

You mentioned just a tri suit for the ride? I usually race in tri shorts/tops.  May look at long sleeve jersey, tri shorts and may be tights to keep the legs warm.  Comments?
2010-05-20 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
A lotof good discussion going for B2B.  Keep it up.  I agree with Titeloops about temps.  I lived in Charlotte for 12 years and sometimes you can have cool weather or a warm day would show up.  I would love to compete in the 60's.  It would be nice.  I will have the reverse of what we have now here in Florida.  Trying to adjust from warmer to cooler temps.  I love the post about what was worn last year.  It was good information. 

Brian Cooper
2010-05-20 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2870831

User image

DC
[email protected] - 2010-05-20 10:03 AM A lotof good discussion going for B2B.  Keep it up.  I agree with Titeloops about temps.  I lived in Charlotte for 12 years and sometimes you can have cool weather or a warm day would show up.  I would love to compete in the 60's.  It would be nice.  I will have the reverse of what we have now here in Florida.  Trying to adjust from warmer to cooler temps.  I love the post about what was worn last year.  It was good information. 

Brian Cooper

If I recall properly, higher temps tend to be correlated to higher heart rates, i.e. greater effort. Was that right? I suppose if that's right, racing in cool temps after training in the summer heat should yield favorable results? I have to really think about this as next month, the B2B price goes up.

Within this context, I'd love to hear more from others who have completed B2B (1/2 or full). I'm betting I'm not the only one. Cool
2010-05-20 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2870649

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
titeloops - 2010-05-20 10:26 AM

It's NC, so could just as easily be 80 degrees on that day. I've played golf on New Years day before.

I did indeed!
Thanks for asking! You are most kind....

The benefit of living in a country where the speed at which you actually RECEIVE assessment and treatment is abysmal at best, is that once you actually approach your long awaited surgical date, if you are lucky the problem has fixed itself!
I took it easy all autumn  and then slowly started running again. To my delight my knee no longer hurt so I never did have it scoped.
 I am riding WAY more than anything these days in prep fora  back to back 115 mile ride event  I have coming up in June.
After that I will start ramping up the run volume........and hopefully the knee continues to behave!
2010-05-20 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2870831

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
[email protected] - 2010-05-20 11:03 AM A lotof good discussion going for B2B.  Keep it up.  I agree with Titeloops about temps.  I lived in Charlotte for 12 years and sometimes you can have cool weather or a warm day would show up.  I would love to compete in the 60's.  It would be nice.  I will have the reverse of what we have now here in Florida.  Trying to adjust from warmer to cooler temps.  I love the post about what was worn last year.  It was good information. 

Brian Cooper

x2
Last year my HIM was STINKING hot and humid.
For a girl from the Land of Ice and Snow it was sheer misery.........  

2010-05-20 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2871550

User image

Expert
Raleigh
aquagirl - 2010-05-20 1:09 PM
titeloops - 2010-05-20 10:26 AM

I did indeed!
Thanks for asking! You are most kind....

The benefit of living in a country where the speed at which you actually RECEIVE assessment and treatment is abysmal at best, is that once you actually approach your long awaited surgical date, if you are lucky the problem has fixed itself!
I took it easy all autumn  and then slowly started running again. To my delight my knee no longer hurt so I never did have it scoped.
 I am riding WAY more than anything these days in prep fora  back to back 115 mile ride event  I have coming up in June.
After that I will start ramping up the run volume........and hopefully the knee continues to behave!

Good deal. I had the same injury at about the same time. Rehabbed a bit and basically it just sort of improved enough to avoid the knife.
2010-05-20 11:23 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
OK to address a few things:

1)  Yes cooler temp= lower HR....that said 60's is GREAT to race a full (or a HIM for you folks here too!!).

2)  Booties for the swim---YES!!!!  I totally forgot about those---yes I wore the booties/water socks!!!  I actually bought them because of the long run through a parking lot, across four lane road, down a sidewalk to T1 since I figured that would be COLD on the feet!!!  I don't see any need for the neoprene swim cap but did see a couple (NOT many!).

3)  I am comfortable racing all day in a one piece suit (some won't do a sprint in one...)---so obviously that's just me!!  This is a good race for tri shorts/tri top and then maybe a long sleeve bike jersey over the top---assuming the same temps that they've had the first two years for this race. 

As for the temp/clothing talk---let me just say that was the BIG concern/conversation as we met for a BT group swim on Fri am (the day before the race)---I think everyone had brought two or three different "outfits" to wear and nobody could decided what to wear!!! 

That brings up another suggestion---we did a BT group swim---there's a small beach across from the Blockade Runner (or something like that) hotel---we met there and swam early---as in met around 7am or so and got in the water so that it would be the same current as race morning---since that's about half way down the swim course we figured if we were in the water just after 7 it would be similar....we then walked the route to T1.  A few of us did a quick ride after that but the swim was GREAT/important to feeling comfortable with the course/conditions!

Man this thread is killin me----I want to do this race again this year..............................................
2010-05-20 11:54 PM
in reply to: #2872772

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Skippy74 - 2010-05-21 12:23 AM OK to address a few things:

1)  Yes cooler temp= lower HR....that said 60's is GREAT to race a full (or a HIM for you folks here too!!).

2)  Booties for the swim---YES!!!!  I totally forgot about those---yes I wore the booties/water socks!!!  I actually bought them because of the long run through a parking lot, across four lane road, down a sidewalk to T1 since I figured that would be COLD on the feet!!!  I don't see any need for the neoprene swim cap but did see a couple (NOT many!).

3)  I am comfortable racing all day in a one piece suit (some won't do a sprint in one...)---so obviously that's just me!!  This is a good race for tri shorts/tri top and then maybe a long sleeve bike jersey over the top---assuming the same temps that they've had the first two years for this race. 

As for the temp/clothing talk---let me just say that was the BIG concern/conversation as we met for a BT group swim on Fri am (the day before the race)---I think everyone had brought two or three different "outfits" to wear and nobody could decided what to wear!!! 

That brings up another suggestion---we did a BT group swim---there's a small beach across from the Blockade Runner (or something like that) hotel---we met there and swam early---as in met around 7am or so and got in the water so that it would be the same current as race morning---since that's about half way down the swim course we figured if we were in the water just after 7 it would be similar....we then walked the route to T1.  A few of us did a quick ride after that but the swim was GREAT/important to feeling comfortable with the course/conditions!

Man this thread is killin me----I want to do this race again this year..............................................

A onsie?
Really??

2010-05-22 4:17 PM

Veteran

As a point of reference for those concerned about temps, figure when you get on your bike the temp will likely be high 40's to low 50's and the highs that afternoon will be around upper 60's to max mid 70's. With it being in Nov. you will not experience the high humidity normally associated with beach areas. In my opinion, it has to be the most ideal temps to do a HIM or Ironman. One thing to be aware of for those training in hot weather areas through the summer and even into Oct, since it will be so cool race day you will need to dial back your hydration and caloric needs compared to what you did during training. It might be more important for those with GI issues typically. Just my .02.

2010-05-22 5:35 PM
in reply to: #2875732

User image

DC
kdlsch111 - 2010-05-22 4:17 PM

As a point of reference for those concerned about temps, figure when you get on your bike the temp will likely be high 40's to low 50's and the highs that afternoon will be around upper 60's to max mid 70's. With it being in Nov. you will not experience the high humidity normally associated with beach areas. In my opinion, it has to be the most ideal temps to do a HIM or Ironman. One thing to be aware of for those training in hot weather areas through the summer and even into Oct, since it will be so cool race day you will need to dial back your hydration and caloric needs compared to what you did during training. It might be more important for those with GI issues typically. Just my .02.

Nothing substantive to contribute to your comment except, hmm. Interesting. That's an excellent point. 

2010-05-24 1:00 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
When approximately does the full distance sellout (or does it)? I'm not quite ready to commit but will register if I am in danger of missing out all together.
2010-05-24 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2878490

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

popsracer - 2010-05-24 2:00 PM When approximately does the full distance sellout (or does it)? I'm not quite ready to commit but will register if I am in danger of missing out all together.

I believe there's 750 spots for the full, it sold out it's 500 spots the first year and was increased to 750 last year which didn't sell out.  The Half has sold out both years.

If you check the B2B web site, there's a link for participants for both the full and half, you can keep an eye on the numbers there on how many folks signed up so far.

2010-05-24 6:24 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Thanks rottieguy. This really sounds like the kind of experience I want for my first full IM.
2010-05-29 7:21 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Couple things:

1. Do the practice swim from Blockade Runner.  It helped me with the water temp, sighting, and the run to T1
  2. Wear booties for the run to T1.  I bought mine at a scuba shop for about $10.
  3. I wore a sleeveless wetsuit and I was fine.  The water isn't really cold.
  4. The air temp coming out of the water is cold.  37 degrees is cold when you are soaking wet. 
  5. I wore bike shorts, bike shirt, and a thin windbreaker on the bike.  I stuffed the jacket in my SN bag.
  6. The weather reports leading up to the race were all over the place.  You need to have a plan for both cold and hot.
  7. During the last 3-4 weeks there were enough cool days here in ATL to test my clothing and nutrition.

I can't stress the practice swim enough.  I almost didn't do it, and it had a big impact on my race day.  I sighted great, knew the water temp was fine, and knew how cold it was going to be when I went out on the bike.

Edited by brown_dog_us 2010-05-29 7:22 AM
2010-05-29 8:18 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Info on the practic swim (Link?) or is it on the B2B site and I missed it.  BTW, thanks for the info.

2010-05-29 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2889946

User image

Expert
NoVA
GaryRM - 2010-05-29 9:18 AM Info on the practic swim (Link?) or is it on the B2B site and I missed it.  BTW, thanks for the info.

The practice swim is NOT a B2B race organized swim---last year a bunch of us BTers organized a swim through this thread (last years version...).  We met at the Blockade Runner (plenty of street parking at the little beach right there) and did the swim.  Doug is right---it was great to get comfortable in the water/course (you are getting in at just under the HIM swim course).  We did the swim all the way to the dock that you actually get out at---for the race they put ladders in but we were still able to get out without them---we then walked/jogged to the T1 area so that we would know how to go-----this obviously required a RIDE back to the start of our swim---luckily we had some great folks willing to drive over to the T1 area and pick us up and bring us back!!  We actually did this around 7 or 7:30 (I can't remember) so that it would be a similar current/sun to actual race morning---I think this is key too.
2010-05-29 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
The tips in this thread are terrific!  Thank you!

All of my training will be done in South FL and we can still get into the 90s during the month of October, so trying to figure out hydration/nutrition/what to wear for what I would consider to be a 'cold weather' race is going to be extra tough; hence, I really appreciate all of the suggestions.

I'm actually most concerned about what to wear on the bike.  I don't think I've ever biked in conditions colder than 65F (and 65F is a rarity), so I'm clueless here.  I noticed that someone mentioned using a windbreaker.  Maybe arm warmers as well? Toe covers?

Gosh, I'm really nervous about how to dress for the bike.  Would love to hear some more suggestions on what folks typically wear while cycling during this time of the year/these type of temperatures.
2010-05-29 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

For those of us that came from the northern states/provinces the temps were pretty nice.  I got away with my tri shorts (put on dry in t1), black short sleeved top and black arm warmers.  The sun was enough to keep me warm and even in the wamer part of the day I was still comfortable.  I thought the water was fine and wouldn't have even considered booties, or a neoprene swim cap.  I noticed the cold feet on our Friday practice swim after walking to T1 area, but on race day I didn't notice the cool pavement at all or have any numb feet issues while riding.  We had a cool summer and nasty fall so I had much worse weather training for B2B.

I'm glad I didn't wear any other layers, as I cruised on by SN's with no intentions of stopping unless I needed tubes or CO2 cartridges.  I was actually shocked at how much clothing some folks wore for both the ride and the run and had some fun conversations with others while on the run course as I was fine in my shorts and sleevless top, though I had a long sleeve top in SN's if needed, and did stop for a half of PB&J and a dove chocolate bar   SN's for the run is right along the course on the ground after you come back to the battleship for your second loop.

Just remember to schedule your practice swim aprox 20-30 minutes after low tide for the full iron, so you'll see what kinda of push you have on race morning when I think the tide is abit after 6:30 am.  Check tides for Masonboro Inlet.  Looking at my logs we did it at 7:15 last year on Friday morning.  I thought it was real beneficial since I wasn't familiar with the area or water ways at all.  Made race morning that much easier.

Don't forget the bike for a quick spin on Friday, the roads were nice enough to ride around in Wrightsville Beach area and make sure everything is working okay.

2010-05-29 6:08 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

B2B sites says they serve HEED and energy bars.  Since I will be living off the course can anyone tell me what flavor(s) HEED and which brand of energy bars were served?

Edited by GaryRM 2010-05-29 6:08 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 32