BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2010-12-22 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3258469

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--OPEN
Tucker_lr - 2010-12-23 10:05 AM I would love to do join your group if it is still open.

I am the anti-athlete, never good at sports. The closest thing I have ever done before last year was competing in the martial arts, which I did at the world level (once). Last year I trained and competed in two sprints and a virtual oly. This season I want to compete in 4 or 5 races in a sprint/oly series and would love to place. I also want to complete my first 70.3.

With no strong background in anything I would love to work with mentors with strong swimming backgrounds. I plan to pay for some swim coaching at my local YMCA. I also hope to get a coach but if I can't I will atleast get swim coaching.

hi tucker--welcome to the manatees!

placing in a tri is usually due to a lot of luck [where you're located / how competitive the area is and who shows up] and then also a lot of long consistent work. if you're ready for it we can definitely help and support you in shaping your plans, goals, and well, at least give you some hot swimming tips.

2010-12-22 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3258486

User image

Melon Presser
cggale - 2010-12-23 10:16 AM Wow, looks like a full group!!  If you have room for one more, I would love to be a part of this group!!  I have completed my first season of tris and loved it.  However, swimming is my nemesis.  It looks like there are some wonderful swimmers here that could be a good resource.

A little about me.  I'm 40 years old, married with two awesome kids.  I ran in high school but stopped once I started college, got married, had kids, ect ect....  Got back into running a couple of years ago.  My sister who does triathlon introduced me last year and I loved it.  Swimming has been difficult as I am slow and pitiful.  I am going to swim a lot this winter to improve my form and confidence!

My race history has been two 1/2 marys, 4 sprints tris, and 1 marathon.  My goal for next summer is a PR for 1/2 mary, Oly, and HIM.  If I can only get through the swim.....   Thanks==Claire

hi claire, thanks for joining up

glad to have one more strong runner on board as well ... although i actually love running the most of the three main tri disciplines, i am relatively the slowest in it.
2010-12-22 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3258489

User image

Melon Presser
schapopa - 2010-12-23 10:17 AM Hi I would like to join this group if there is room.
I started training year ago, did one olympic and this year plan to do few more olympic distance and one HIM.
Arek 

hi Arek, good to see you showing up here!

hey everyone, this is Arek--i'm sure he'll say more about himself but he is also in southeast asia!
2010-12-22 10:46 PM
in reply to: #3258507

User image

Melon Presser
crystalashworth - 2010-12-23 10:40 AM It's looking like this group may be almost full, but I'm going to try and squeak in if I can. Reading Everyone's bios it sounds like I have something in common with just about everyone. I'm 30 years old, and I promised myself I would complete a triathlon before I turn 31. So true to form of my procrastinating self, I signed up for Tri for the Cure that is on 03/20/2011 just 1 month and 2 days before my 31st bday. . I am married and have 5 children - 4 girls ages 13, 8.5, 6 and 2.5 and 1 boy who is 10 months. So finding the time to train is my biggest challenge. I just picked up a copy of the Time-Crunched Triathlete to see if I can pick up some information on how to maximize my training.I have about 20-25 pounds to lose that have been clinging on to my body for dear life since I had my son 10 months ago. I'm a decent swimmer, having been on both a recreational swim team and a high school swim team briefly. I have the same fears about biking in a group. And I've never really liked to run. But like someone else said, I get all choked up when I watch the Iron Man clips or read peoples IM race reports. I know it's something I will accomplish someday.The only Tri I have planned so far this year is the Tri for the Cure which is a sprint distance. But would like to add another one or two to the mix. I'm really looking forward to being manateed. So far ive found that the Tri community is amazingly supportive. Thanks!Crystal

that's the funniest thing i've read all day, thanks [that one line i mean, not your introduction!]

crystal in just under the gun, well done

5 kids, shoot, you do a pentathlon every day

there are some really great 'just get it done' or 'just finish' type of training programs here which are marvellous for the time-crunched triathlete, so to speak.
2010-12-22 10:49 PM
in reply to: #3258223

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

TriAya - 2010-12-22 5:52 PM
jogo - 2010-12-23 5:47 AM

So does this mean I made the cut?   YEAH!!!!!  

I would love to pick your brain about intervals.  I just started reading his Book of Running.  

you made the cut only because you mentioned the secret words -- manatee and galloway -- in the same post

by intervals, do you mean run::walk intervals?

his website is also a great resource ... www.jeffgalloway.com

I actually think Marathon (the newest edition) is the best of his books, but all of them are great. He's also done a lot of research/work with women runners in particular, which I dig.

My name is Jo or Joanne.  I am a 46 year old from Michigan.  I have a blended family with 5 kids (ages 28-18), and  2 grandchildren (4 years and 5 months).  I am so excited to have a little one (the 4 year old) coming to Michigan from New Mexico for Christmas.  I have had a lot of fun shopping. 

I asked for Marathon for Christmas and I know I am getting it.  I am also getting a gymboss, run:walk interval timer.  (I know because my dad doesn't own a computer and I bought them through amazon and sent it to him so he could wrap it for me.  I do that so he doesn't have to go shopping and fight crowds.  He tells me what to order and I pretend I am surprised.

I trained for a while with someone who did galloway but training with her was like running speed intervals.  I trained for Chicago marathon(loosely followed a plan and made some rookie mistakes) and it was an epic fail.  I am at a point where I am starting from scratch with everything.  I have Jeff's Book of Running but I haven't read much yet.  My 18 year old started training to do her 1st 5k.  I am starting with that.  I am pacing the last chance walkers (3:45) for a 1/2 marathon in April and then doing the Bayshore 1/2 marathon in May.  Last year I did that with the person I mentioned above, doing run:walk, and I felt super strong. I am toying with trying another full at USAF in Sept or I may just do the half.  Registration opens on 1/1/11, so I have time to decide. 

As far as tri's.  I may do a du with my buddy Paul and some people from my running group want to try a tri.  I am toying with it now that my swim coach is back.  Swimming and biking are weaknesses, oh heck, they are all weak.  I am going to really train to do something, whatever, and commit to putting in the work to get me there.  That is my goal. 

Edited by jogo 2010-12-22 10:51 PM
2010-12-22 10:51 PM
in reply to: #3256055

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!
Okay, this is who I've got so far, not including lynn and I-- PLEASE let me know if i somehow left you off or didn't welcome you or otherwise already committed some egregious act from the outset.

1. carla
  2. floyd
  3. niall
  4. mary
  5. ryan
  6. mike
  7. lagnar
  8. john
  9. tanya
  10. jogo
  11. louise
  12. mrschach
  13. jenn
  14. redlands beamer
  15. tucker
  16. claire
  17. arek
  18. crystal
  19. megan
  20. kathy
sorry, a little out of order but hopefully everyone is included.

2010-12-22 10:55 PM
in reply to: #3258540

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
TriAya - 2010-12-22 10:33 PM
iluvmybeamer - 2010-12-23 9:54 AM Hiya, is there room for me, too?  I'd love to join you guys.

for a fellow redlands-er, anything

small world. u of redlands is my alma mater and i spent 7 years in the area. still have very close friends and ex-in-law [strange but true] close family there.

Thank you so much for including me in the group!

Wow, what a small world.  Yanti, I think it's great, I can share all my experiences in training here in Redlands with you!  I was putting my girls to bed when I remembered to find a mentor group.  I didn't have time to type a synopsis about myself.  As I am reading all the posts; I think the Mad Manatee's are a great group! 

ATM, we're in the process of moving to another house in Redlands.  Just relocating to a bigger house.  All of this commotion, coupled why my husband's work schedule has put a temporary hold on training.  I WILL be training again after we move.  Which should be before the end of the year.

I'm still a newbie; as I have only done a SuperSprint tri.  It was horrible.  I came in 2nd to last out of the water.  In my defense, I learned to swim freestyle this past summer.  Before then, all I knew how to do in the pool was to swim to the edge.  It was no surprise that I struggled in the water.  My next tri will be in April.  I'm anxious to get started again.  However, I know the first couple of weeks back in training will be a painful one.  Good thing, I have recovery tights! 

Then, there is my weight, I've struggled with this for as long as I can remember.  I'm still looking to shed about 20 or so lbs.  I'd love to see my weight fall, but it's been a difficult road, thus far, but I'm committed to training and losing weight.

I have two New Year's resolutions regarding my training:  1.  run a 25-27min 5k, 2.  be not afraid of the water.  I hate swimming, I'm uncomfortable, so, the only way to get over this is to be not afraid.

Personally who am I?  I am a mom of three girls (you can read my twins story in my signature).  I homeschool.  We have 3 dogs and a crazy schedule everyday!

Edited by iluvmybeamer 2010-12-22 10:56 PM
2010-12-22 10:57 PM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
Oh, my name:  Hiya, I'm Joni.
2010-12-22 11:53 PM
in reply to: #3258555

User image

Master
Vista, CA

I tell ya, you go out to the store, get on the bike for a 45 minute ride and whoosh, the manatees are full and we're off to the races, so to speak.

Welcome everyone! And, I love that line, Chlorine is my perfume, because, well, it's mine, too!

Night, night MAD Manatees -- You've been manateed. Love it!

2010-12-23 12:45 AM
in reply to: #3258582

User image

Melon Presser
lmscozz - 2010-12-23 12:53 PM

I tell ya, you go out to the store, get on the bike for a 45 minute ride and whoosh, the manatees are full and we're off to the races, so to speak.

Welcome everyone! And, I love that line, Chlorine is my perfume, because, well, it's mine, too!

Night, night MAD Manatees -- You've been manateed. Love it!

then why do i always reek of wet dog and two stinky cats

oh, because the dog and i OWS in the ocean, there being no competition training pools in bali, and then the dog sits on the cats, who then sit on me.

i'm not actually kidding about any of this--or any of the other weird stuff i tend to write--always a circus here

this is a wet lisa sitting on a wet cat [biscuits] who clearly does not look pleased and is trying to get out from under.

(puppy kitties 3 005 (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
puppy kitties 3 005 (Small).jpg (30KB - 7 downloads)
2010-12-23 5:40 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

I am sorry I did not have a chance to write an intro last night.  We had some family stuff going on and I was sitting by the phone all night!

My name is Meggan.  I believe there is another Megan in the group so feel free to call me Megg, Chach, or whatever.  This will be my third season of tris but I have only done a few.  My race experience consists of 2 10 mile runs, a handful of 5ks, 3 sprint tris, and a marathon.  I ran Philly marathon as my first last month and cannot wait to do another one!!  I am trying to figure out what races I want to do in 2011.  I will be doing the 10 mile run again the end of March with a firm time goal.  I have something to prove to myself!!  I will be running another marathon in the fall.  I put my name in for the NYC lottery.  If I get in, I will run that the beginning of November.  If I don't get in, I will run Philly again later in November.  I am also registerest for a half marathon the end of August.  I am still on the fence about the triathlons.  There is a new all women's tri group by me that started last year.  I signed up but was never able to train with them.  There main tri they will do as a group is SheRox in Philadelphia.  I have done it 2 times and don't plan on doing that one again this year.  There is another one that day I want to do with friends.  I am looking at 2-3 sprints and possibly an Olympic. 

I live in NJ, right outside of Philadelphia.  My husband and I just celebrated our five year anniversary and we have two boys.  Joe just turned 4 the day after our 5th anniversary and Logan is just about 2 1/2. 

My background is swimming.  I swam for various teams from age 8 through high school.  I did not like the swim coach at the college I went to.  I swore as a teenager I would never swim for him!  I started spinning in college and then got out on the road.  I hated running.  I wanted nothing to do with it.  I was working with a personal trainer after having my second son and he got me running.  I quickly realized that running was the only thing that was going to get me through the PPD (Post partum depression) that hit me HARD after having Logan.  My friends comment on how dedicated I am to running and fitness.  I just reminded them yesterday that I don't always run because I want to.  Sometimes I run because I know I need to.  I am definitely a happier mama when I am training!  I was a few weeks out from the marathon and my husband asked me when my next one would be.  That spoke volumes to me!

Can't wait to get to know you guys!

2010-12-23 5:55 AM
in reply to: #3258077

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Lagnar - 2010-12-22 3:25 PM

I would like to join this group.  The last two years have been a mess and this is the year to get back into it.  Was a member to different groups a couple years ago and there is value to this.  My thing this year is to get a marathon under my belt.  I have three Oly & some sprints and a century ride completed.  Excellent swimmer, good on the bike but running is a work in progress.  I know that I have to change some settings.

Nice on the marathon!!  That was my number 1 goal this year.  Everything I did fitness related was to get me to that finish line!
2010-12-23 8:35 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
So, I'm in?  Can you asplain the mentor/manatee relationship, and persuant and/or resultant responsibilities of each?

Edited by pga_mike 2010-12-23 8:36 AM
2010-12-23 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3258872

User image

Melon Presser
pga_mike - 2010-12-23 9:35 PM So, I'm in?  Can you asplain the mentor/manatee relationship, and persuant and/or resultant responsibilities of each?

why do you have to shoot out the gate with one of the hard questions?! i dunno, you tell me!

actually, that really is it. what do you want it to be?

awesome question mike and very important.

as i said in the intro, all of us really are both mentor and mentoree, but that's a mouthful, so we just say 'manatee.'

we swim together and graze together, and you and i in particular have extremely flipper-like feet.

lynn and i are here -and you too mr. ridiculous overaccomplisher particularly in running- to share our experience, be a resource, point you'uns to resources, provide support and encouragement, and in the case of you and i, also comic relief.

we will try to drop in on your logs as often as possible to stalk, uh, check up on, uh, i mean inspire you. lynn is much better at this than i am. in that vein, it's a good idea to post your goals or general direction or preliminary thoughts/wishes in your log, and also to keep it up with whatever activities/training you're actually doing.

please ask/ruminate/ramble about anything you want to know more about. even questions about triathlon are welcome. anyone is welcome to chime in. from time to time i post blocks of information about a specific topic, particularly if it's come up a lot. i really should just submit them as bt articles, but ... uh ... okay, one of your all's responsibilities is to guilt me into doing that, too, 'kay?
2010-12-23 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I have to share with the group the excitement of the morning.  I went on my running club forum and we are the official Michelob Ultra Pace Team for the Lets Move Festival of Races (1/2 marathon pacing).  I was asked to be the last chance pacer a month back.  At first, my ego was insulted, and thought, "dang is that all they think I can do".  I am not fast but I could've easily paced the 2:45 or 3:00 group.  Then the more I thought about it and read the request, it was because this group is special.  They need the most encouragement and fun.  I am the queen of sparkle lately.  After Chicago, I discovered sparkleskirts.com and proceeded to wear a sparkle skirt at all of my races and have been know to don a tiara or a santa hat.  There are races that are goal races for me but life is way  to short not to enjoy those that don't matter.  This race is free to pacers.  I get a finisher's medal and a shirt.  And to top it off I get a "sweet Michelob Ultra" pacer shirt.  I love doing runs that I can just enjoy with no pressure.   If you hear of a pacer dancing in the streets, it will be me.  I'm so excited for this group.  They usually have journeys to share and are such an inspiration.  They also bring me back to reality to celebrate and not be so critical of myself. 

2010-12-23 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3258979

User image

Master
jogo - 2010-12-23 9:22 AM

I have to share with the group the excitement of the morning.  I went on my running club forum and we are the official Michelob Ultra Pace Team for the Lets Move Festival of Races (1/2 marathon pacing).  I was asked to be the last chance pacer a month back.  At first, my ego was insulted, and thought, "dang is that all they think I can do".  I am not fast but I could've easily paced the 2:45 or 3:00 group.  Then the more I thought about it and read the request, it was because this group is special.  They need the most encouragement and fun.  I am the queen of sparkle lately.  After Chicago, I discovered sparkleskirts.com and proceeded to wear a sparkle skirt at all of my races and have been know to don a tiara or a santa hat.  There are races that are goal races for me but life is way  to short not to enjoy those that don't matter.  This race is free to pacers.  I get a finisher's medal and a shirt.  And to top it off I get a "sweet Michelob Ultra" pacer shirt.  I love doing runs that I can just enjoy with no pressure.   If you hear of a pacer dancing in the streets, it will be me.  I'm so excited for this group.  They usually have journeys to share and are such an inspiration.  They also bring me back to reality to celebrate and not be so critical of myself. 

That sounds awesome.  Sounds like the runners have the most inspirational sparkly pacer there is!

BTW, I love finisher's medals, free t-shirts and Michelob Ultra!

2010-12-23 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

Hey all - I just got some new training aids I won't go to the pool without - waterproof MP3 player (Diver 2 GB) and a sportcount chro 100.  Both through Amazon for about $40 a piece.  LOVED THEM!. 

The chrono is worn on your pointer finger and you just press the button with your thumb, 1 hand (1 finger) operation with no disruption in stroke.  Counts lap, gives you max and min lap time and what lap it was, and provides lap time for X# of laps (at least 50 because that was what I did today).  The MP3 is not the best player but heck, it plays music.  Ear buds also serve as ear plugs and did not cause any problems (slipped off my ear 1 time).

Anyone who has trouble using these little things ("it is too distracting or causes interference with my technique / slows me down") would be someone who I put in the class of those who used to drill their bike parts to save ounces and were usually 10 lbs overweight.

Anyway - not wanting to be a sales guy, but great training aids for the money.

2010-12-23 4:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Yeah! I am so excited to be a part of this group!! Yanti... I have read many of your posts and you always make me laugh! Thank you!! 

Although I've been a little side-lined for the past month with tendonites in my achilles - I'm hoping to be back at it all in the new year.  I am supper stoked to see the runners in the group - I know I have to start from scratch again and any/all advise is always welcome!  jogo... I would love to be running with you and your sparkles - that would be a blast!!  My goal is to run my first 1/2 mary in April. (fingers crossed!!)

I used to play waterpolo as a kid in highschool ... and my coach tells me I swim like a crab.... so altho I can swim fairly decently, I  need to continue to work on changing my stroke... which doesn't come easily for an ol' fart!  I have NOT been motivated to swim at all this fall/winter (maybe it's because it's -50C out there.. and I hate the thought of getting cold and wet and having to face those temps) but I could really use some motivation from you mad manatees who love the water!

Jenn.... I am so envious... enjoy your bike rides outside - mine will be on a trainer ... ALL WINTER LONG!!!

2010-12-23 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3257879

User image

Veteran
Austin
A Little Madness - 2010-12-22 2:00 PM 

I have some anxiety issues around the bike (speed, riding in traffic, going downhill) that I tell myself are really minor and I'm working on!  

@ Mary - I think you are my biking soul-mate.  I'm also terrified of going fast on a bike!  I'm limited not by leg strength, but by fear in determining my biking speed.    

Any one have any advice on biking fear - just get over it and ride more?  

2010-12-23 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3258305

User image

Regular
Dubln, Ohio

Is there going to be a final list with BT name so the can be added to our friends list?  Swim for me on Friday work on finishing swim goal for year. Happy Holidays.

2010-12-23 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3259735

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
lounav - 2010-12-23 4:42 PM

I have some anxiety issues around the bike (speed, riding in traffic, going downhill) that I tell myself are really minor and I'm working on!  

@ Mary - I think you are my biking soul-mate.  I'm also terrified of going fast on a bike!  I'm limited not by leg strength, but by fear in determining my biking speed.    

This reminds me of my terrifying bike experience two years ago.   My husband and I went on one of those organized bike trips to California.  Some of the rides had us going up some pretty long, winding, steep hills (mountains!).  Going up wasn't the problem, if was rather fun actually.  It was going DOWN the mountain that was absolutely terrifying!!  The descents were soooo steep and the blind curves were treacherous.   I was so scared I was going to ride off the mountain.  I had my hands gripped so tight on the brakes, they were numb and shaking by the time I reached the bottom.  I was always the last person to finish the downhill.  I guess it was the feeling of losing control that had me so scared.  

I feel like I can go fairly fast on flat roads and gradual descents...as long as I can see the bottom.

Unfortunately, that doesn't answer your questions about how to get over the fear.  Sorry.  My guess would be to ride more.  

2010-12-23 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3259735

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
lounav - 2010-12-23 3:42 PM

Mary / Louise - how long have you been riding?  Do you think the fear is from trying something new / out of comfort zone or more related to bad experience?

Do you have access to rollers, a mountain bike, country roads, and friends who also ride?
2010-12-23 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3258979

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
jogo - 2010-12-23 8:22 AM

There is always more fun and personnality at the back of the pack - I want to do that!  I'll also have to check into the sparkle skirts to get my girls out running again.  My 9 year old at the time ran a 5k with me last year at 35min.  Have not been able to get her to run since and that might just be the kicker for her.
2010-12-23 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania

I just wanted to stop by and let all you all know how lucky you are to have Yanti and Lynn as mentors!  They've both been a huge help to me as I tried to learn more about the sport and their wisdom and encouragement are unparalleled.

Good luck to you all and enjoy the ride!

Art (former manatee)

2010-12-23 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3258414

User image

Veteran
Rainy WA
lounav

Yes! How wonderful, to find someone else dealing with this. All my friends think the bike is the easiest of the three. They just don't get it. Actually I don't either!

I've tried meditation and breathing exercises and affirmations. Even a couple supplements. It could be the solution is the same as a sig line I read here on BT: Suck it up, buttercup. But I'm hoping someone has a better idea!

lounav - 2010-12-22 6:22 PM I'm a non-athlete and always have been.  I'm trying to see if shear determination can make up for lack of any natural ability.

Yes, me too! I believe I could be establishing a new benchmark for unlikeliness. Although I probably did that last summer with the softball. Certainly my teammates seemed...ahhh...surprised.

(and never on a bike without a kick-stand),

When I got my bike, I had the shop add a kickstand. I feel I'm setting a new retro-type standard of cool.Cool Not sure about the fenders I had put on though--they kind of shout "dork."

Really I'm so happy to be in the same group with you!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38