BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2010-12-23 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - OPEN

Sorry, I didn't read until now that you were closing it.  I posted to another group.  It will work out well, he is doing IM Moo in 2011, too.  Merry Christmas.

2010-12-23 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3259495

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
GmrGirl - 2010-12-23 2:53 PM

Name - Gmrgirl (Angi)

Background - 40 married for 11 years with 3 boys 22, 20 and 13.  Scout leader, Computer gamer, and book worm.  Nature lover.  Also smoke approximately a pack per day.

Reasons for running - Hit a mid life crisis (yes women have them too) after going on a hike with the Boys Scouts and having a very hard time keeping up about a year ago.  Saw 40 looming and decided I didn't much like who I had become.  Started hiking on a weekly basis with McFuzz and slowly started adding running in.  I absolutely love being outdoors and the feeling of freedom that running gives you.  I'm loosely following the aggressive C25K.  (I have no patience so am constantly changing it)

Former experience: Absolutely none.  Started running in November but I'm up to one mile without walking

2011 Goals:  Finish a 5K in March
Finish a 5K with no walking.
Lose 13 pounds (ideally 18 pounds)
Cut smoking down to 1/2 (ideally completely quit)
Get started with Bike training

I have no goals at this time to complete a larger race.  Just want to consistantly train and improve my overall health, fitness and outlook on life.

I'm with you! I run/walk and there's nothing wrong with that. I try to run a little more each week. Soon you will drop the smokes. I did. 15 years ago. I dropped 17lbs when I quit!! SO that weight gain thing is bullsh... er a load of hooey.
2010-12-23 2:50 PM

User image

Elite
I'm in! I'm in!  Can't wait to start my training January 1st!  You've already been a great help and I haven't even started yet!
2010-12-23 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3259579

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
IceManScott - 2010-12-23 2:39 PM
Sorry, I didn't read until now that you were closing it.  I posted to another group.  It will work out well, he is doing IM Moo in 2011, too.  Merry Christmas.

Don't leave! 
2010-12-23 3:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
Looks like we have quite the group on our hands. Awesome! Like Mike said, everyone add each other as "friends" to make it easier to track each other. I know I'll be more honest with myself if I have 15-20 others checking up on my logs!
2010-12-23 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Wow, a lot has happened in a few hours.

A few things about me;

Name:  Art

Misc. stuff:  46, married 25 years to a woman who is truely a saint.  No kids but many nieces & nephews (I quit counting at 50).  I sell building materials and spend most of my day on the road. 

Started out as a slow runner, had both knees worked on and decided it might be a good idea to add slow swimming and slow biking to limit the damage.  This will be my 4th year doing tri's.  The first year I did a sprint, the second year I did a couple more sprints and was training for a HIM when a nice 94 y/o lady hit me on my bike and cut my season short.  Last year was another couple of sprints, an HIM and IMOO.  Family issues and hernia surgery in the last couple months have limited my training to walking back and forth to the refrigerator.....

Goals for this year are;  1) get back to consistant training 2) try to increase my biking and running pace 3) lose the 15-20 lbs. I keep telling myself I'm going to lose.

My plan is to do shorter tri's again this year and maybe a fall marathon if things go well.

2010-12-23 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3258981

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
wabash - 2010-12-23 10:23 AM
reid15 - 2010-12-23 9:56 AM Hi, my name is Art and I'd like to join if you have room for one more.  I'll fill in the details this evening if that is o.k.?

where at in eastern PA are you located??
im outside of Carlisle

I'm in New Holland, about 20 minutes east of Lancaster. 
2010-12-23 4:09 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Wow!  I leave for *ONE* morning and this is what I come back to?  (Big GRIN)

N3dinc (Rod)
Sjhodgson (Shannon)
Silverback25 (Simon)
GmrGirl (Angi)
Zee744 (Nate)
BigDfromBigD (Doug)
Triathlynne (Lynne)
Wabash (Jason)
Corncub (Nicky)
ricmachado (Ricardo)
reid15 (Art)
Amd723 (Ann-Marie)
robingray260 (Robin)
Suzimmer (Susie)
RunfasterMommy (Heather)
R3b3cca (Rebecca)
Soccermom15 (Janet)
Infu5229 (CJ)
Stephsprint (Stephanie)
Smack (Seth)
Srichards428 (Shawn)
Buffedstuff (??
IceManScott (Scott)
Ingleshteechur (Kim)
Ree (Maria)

25 people is a big group!  Luckily, most of you will step up to the challenge of helping me out. 

For those of you who've been around a bit:  feel free to share your experience and your enthusiasm.  Share with each other, share with the new friends, and share with me.  (I really am honored to have you choose me as your mentor.

For those of you just starting out:  Thank you for taking that first big risk, to join a mentor group and share your goals and background.  It can certainly feel a bit intimidating to introduce yourself to a group with far more experience than yourself.  Please don't think that because you're "only training for a 5K" we don't want to hear about your training successes and concerns. 

This should make you feel a little better.  I knew I needed to lose weight and get fit to take my son to Philmont.  Know why Philmont reservations are made 18 months in advance?  It's so adults like me can get ready for the trip.  I turned in my deposit in January 2004 for a trek in June 2005.  I spent from January until October pretending to lose weight while I upped my walking from zero times per week to one time per week woo-hoo!!.  Mid-October, we were out "killing time" at a small sporting-goods store and they had an elliptical trainer on clearance because it wasn't working right.  Never one to pass up a great deal, we bought the trainer, I downloaded the manual and figured out what wasn't right about it.  It sat in our bedroom for another week while I made a commitment to work out every day.  November 1, 2005, I stepped on the elliptical...I've been around the block once or twice, so I know the key is to start out E-A-S-Y so that I can get myself out of bed the next day unassisted (and hopefully string together TWO workouts in a row)...So my goal that afternoon was very modest...start slow and go 15 minutes...  About 9 minutes into the workout, I was redfaced, sweating profusely, and my heart wanted out of my chest in the worst way.  I wasn't sure I would finish even 15 minutes even though I'd started EASY.  I slowed down from my already ridiculously slow pace and wondered how I could be so stupid to not bring water for a 15-minute workout!!  I finished (I'm stubborn) and did another 15 minutes the next day. 

Fast forward to this year, and I've run over 1100 miles this year.  I've completed an Ironman, a 50-mile ultramarathon (both last year) and thought doing a "tour-de-parks" unofficial ultramarathon 2 weeks after a marathon/30-mile-ultra weekend and 3 weeks before a trail marathon would be "fun."  (and it was).  Know what?  The first 10 minutes of every training run are still the hardest thing to do!  If you're just starting out, and you get out there for even 10 or 15 minutes, I'M IMPRESSED!! 

Edited by McFuzz 2010-12-23 4:26 PM
2010-12-23 4:19 PM

User image

Name silverback25/simon.

History
 Played soccer and rugby through school and later for fun.Then after picking up several injuries decide to pack them in.That's when i started to put on weight.So decided to start walk/running and got the bug.I then did something foolish and got a place in the london marathon without ever having done any races, I've since completed 4 marathons aswell as half mara's and 10k's.Having not learnt my lesson from before i entered my 1st ironman without completing and tri's. 

Family I live with my partner and her 2 boys and have access to my own son at weekends.

Training Been working on getting structure to my training over the last couple of month.

2010 Completed my 4th marathon in london also took part in my 1st sprint triathlon.

2011 In april i will be doing the london marathon again then in july i'll be travelling to germany to take part in ironman europe.

Weight I currently weigh around 220lb but would like to be around 190lb at the start line in germany.

I will be an active member or the group as i love learining about all things triathlon. I am also willing to help and support other members.I just hope things don't get lost in translation as i'm from england. 

2010-12-23 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3259433

User image

Master
Orlando
I'm running ING Miami and A1A Ft. Lauderdale too.  My tentative plan is to do the 1/2 at Miami and the full Ft. Lauderdale.  I ran Ft. Lauderdale last year too; it's a nice little race with a lot of food and beer post race!  Another great thing is since it ends on the beach you can cool down by taking a quick dip (at least your legs) in the ocean.  Keep with your plan and I'm sure you'll have a great run.  Good luck!

Ann-Marie
2010-12-23 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3259662

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
zee744 - 2010-12-23 3:38 PM Looks like we have quite the group on our hands. Awesome! Like Mike said, everyone add each other as "friends" to make it easier to track each other. I know I'll be more honest with myself if I have 15-20 others checking up on my logs!

Mike has put us all in one blog so if you open a 2nd window for adding friends you can just copy and paste and alt tab between the the two windows.  Made it much easier to quadruple my friend list

2010-12-23 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3259433

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
stephsprint - 2010-12-23 1:14 PM Well, so far it looks like everyone is WAY ahead of me! I'm a true beginner. I started running in June. I've done 3 5ks. One was a trail run, which was fun. I'm signed up for another 5k in January the day before my husband runs the ING Miami Marathon. A 10k (my first) a couple weeks after that. Another 5k and then my A1A Half Marathon Feb 20th. I also signed up for the Nautica South Beach Triathlon April 10th. MY FIRST I can bike and have a bike. I can swim but haven't really done laps in 10 years. There is a pool at my building...I plan on getting into it this afternoon. I KNOW NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR THIS..but it's chilly in Miami in the morning. 55-58 degrees!

I'm 46 y/o, not fit, need to lose @ 20lbs. No kids, no pets and I walk 2 blocks to work, so no commute. I just need a little inspiration. I joined a triathlon team here in Miami and met them all last night. They are all very fit and serious, but they seem to be very nice. ::gulp::

This is all new to me. Be patient, please! I need to get to the gym, I need to get in the pool. I just got running shoes that actually fit, so maybe things will stop hurting. I have been running 3x a week and this week I up it to 4. I am running 8 miles on Sunday as part of my half-marathon training plan.

I could rattle on for hours. I'll stop now.  

Meeting the new people are scary.  Great job on getting out there to do it.  I still have to be "coerced"  I did my first group run two weeks ago and it was mostly all these young kids that were very fit.   I was nauseous for 3 days before hand (and it was just a fun run not a race).  Thanks for the encouragement on the smoking.  Looks like you and I have quite a bit in common
2010-12-23 4:53 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

I'll post my bio later after I've had a few beers. thehehehehe. Hope you can all understand Scottish.

2010-12-23 6:12 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
OK...we've got a HUGE group.  I don't want to be a half-azz mentor, so I'm really (REALLY) going to need everyone's help. 

Step 1:  Use your logs!  Put your goals in the top (dashboard) using the settings.  Write.write.write.  Some people only log time/distance.  Others use the BT blog for everything going on in their life.  The more you write, the more people who stop by will have to comment about.  PLEASE.PLEASE.PLEASE! If you are going to be away for a period of time, put something in your log so we know you'll be back. 

Step 2:  Inspire each other!  I get a warm-fuzzy feeling every time I see a red number for new inspires!  You should too.  If you "reply" to someone's inspire rather than simply typing in the text box, it puts your inspire in the other person's log (they get a red number).  You can delete anything you don't want repeated.  If you type in the box, it puts the inspire in your own log, and it's easy for someone to not see it.  Alternatively, go to the other person's log and click on the "inspire me" button.  FYI, the reply puts the inspire response in the inspires for the day you're responding to even if that isn't the day you respond. 

Step 3:  Use this thread, especially for things that you'd like the whole group to see. 

Use PM's sparingly (especially with me).  It isn't really set up for conversations, and with 25 people, my message inbox/outbox would fill up quickly.  PM's are appropriate if you're exchanging personal information you don't want public.  They're also appropriate if you're upset over something that has happened.  Remember the old adage:  Praise in public, punish in private. 

Here's my commitment to all of you: 

1.  I expect the group to be self-sustaining, so we won't "disband" after 3 months.  I've got people from 2007 still tracking one another and ran the marathon with one of them this spring.  (Now with a group this big, what's likely to happen is each of you has a small core of "good friends" and a larger group of "friends" and the remaining few that you rarely interact with.  It's possible that a conflict or two develop.  Hopefully, you've got enough other friends in the group to stay and politely ignore anyone who offends you.

2.  I'll get to everyone's logs at least twice a week to leave an inspire (unless I'm traveling with limited internet access). 

3.  I won't let you go quietly!  Expect a PM if you're silent too long (not sure what "too long" is).  My goal is for all 25 people to be actively engaged at the end of 2011.  If you decide this group isn't working for you, please PM me if you don't want to post that information in the thread. 

I'm certain we're going to have an incredible group as I watch the early exchanges and sharing! 

2010-12-23 6:21 PM
in reply to: #3259527

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Buffedstuff - 2010-12-23 2:07 PM Hello, to all of you beautiful people. I hope you want get this party started without me. 
I try never to confuse what I do with who I am but for introductions sake I will combine the two.
First, I would be delighted if you call me Buff, I have been blessed to hang around this planet for almost 50 years.

I have been married to a brillant  piece of humanity for the past 31 years. He is my Knight in tranished armour, translated he is as flawed as I am so we make the perfect couple.

We produced a few offspring and  are now labeled grandparents.  In my past life I was a solider...US Army style...Hooah. 9 years ago, I quit smoking, lost my mind,  and ate my way to almost 200 pounds.  It took me a few years to climb on the health bandwagon but by 2006 I was determined to lose the weight ( it took me a almost a year)  and adopt a healthy lifestyle.

Today I am a business woman/certified personal trainer and all around great gal Smile

In  2010 I became a figure competitor  who just happen to run a breezy 5k and a mountainous half marathon.

I am ready to start 2011 at WDW running in my second half.  Then I will switch the scenery and  trek it across the desert in my first Marathon. Surprised

So what in the heck am I doing here? because somewhere deep inside is a triathlete waiting to be unleashed.

So before the end of 2012 I hope I will be able to swim run and cycle my way across the finish line.

Here is your  chance to help a poor little old granny lady defy the odds and become a better verision of herself. Here is my chance to cheer all of you on towards victory. I enjoy being in a room of champions.

Stay focused on the vision people, you can make your dreams a reality. Smile

THANKYOU!THANKYOU!THANKYOU!!

Not sure what your name is (Buff certainly fits), or where you are, but you've had an amazing transformation and you have an awesome attitude! 

(Pssstt...everyone...click on Buffedstuff's profile.  Check out the pics, and then go to the website. 
2010-12-23 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3259086

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
RunFasterMommy - 2010-12-23 11:07 AM I just wonder if it's a silly thing to attempt in only my second season of triathlon.    Then again, there is never much rhyme or reason to what I do in the endurance world, haha!

Hi Heather.  Your avatar caught my eye.  I did that same race last May in GA and have a similar photo!  They've added a new location here in NC for August next year.

Your post also caught my eye.  Absolutely NOT silly!  As fit as you are running marathons?  The funny thing is that I have done two HIMs and I am apprehensive about doing my first full marathon this spring!  I may need YOU for a mentor! (seriously). 

My name is Maria and I may pop in from time to time to help McFuzz with his group.  He's been mentoring me pretty much ever since I started Triathlon and I turned out ok, so he must be doing something right!

I'll make a brief intro:

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced w/ 21 yr old son studying Mechanical Engineering.

STORY:  Started Couch to 5K in January of 2009 (no prior athletic experience whatsoever). Did first 5K in March followed by two more. Continued the 3 mile distance and figured that was good enough.  Chiropractor mentioned triathlon in June and the next thing I knew I was signed up for one in August.  Dusted off my mountain bike, took adult swim lessons in July and was racing by August 9, 2009.  Haven't stopped since!

PAST RACES:  5 5Ks, 2 10ks, 3 HMs, 6 Sprints, 3 Olys, 1 OWS, 2 HIMs and a Warrior Dash.  Most of that was within a 15 month span of time from the first Sprint in August 2009 to a second HIM in November 2010.

2011 RACES - Full Marathon; IMFL - registered

WEIGHTLOSS - 20 lbs Fall 2008.

Now I came from totally off the couch with absolutely no athletic history before the Couch to 5K program. 

So this truly goes to show that anyone can do this with dedication and commitment...

2010-12-23 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3259393

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
soccermom15 - 2010-12-23 1:53 PM
wabash - 2010-12-23 12:17 PM
soccermom15 - 2010-12-23 1:07 PM

What I’m hoping to get from this group:  I have a hard time motivating myself, especially when it comes to bike and swim training. I’m still not really comfortable riding my bike on the roads so I tend to put if off/skip it more often than I should. My swimming is OK, but lap time is limited at my gym (they have adult lap swimming times during the middle of the day when most everyone is at work) so that gets skipped more often than it should. I’m hoping you all will give me a kick in the butt when I slack off and I’d be happy to do the same for you!

do you happen to own a bike trainer by chance???  although not as much fun as the road, it's a great way to train when you can't get outside.

No trainer unfortunately and no funds to get one right now.  It's the stationary bike at the gym for me for now and I'll try to get outside as much as I can once spring gets here (I just might need a little shove every now and thenSmile).  I know I'm going to have to get used to riding on the roads sooner or later. 

Oh... how I an relate about the fear of road biking!  I bought a brand new hybrid for my first triathlon.  I had NO intention of taking up road biking, so I figured one race was all I would do just for the sake of doing one.  That bike got used twice and is now sitting in the garage covered in dust.  I DID take up road biking, then later bought a Tri bike too.

A stationary bike is great!  ... even better if you do a structured Spin Class.  The intervals done in Spin classes are amazing to help build biking strength and endurance.  You'd be surprised.

As for road biking, are there any cycling groups in your area?  Biking with a group of experienced cyclist is a great way to build confidence.  Also, I learned that I'm not going to be able to just get on my bike and leave from my house.  The safest thing for me to do is load my bike up and drive to a designated route.  It takes a bit more discipline, but it soon becomes part of your routine, just like having to drive to the pool to swim.

Road biking does get easier (both physically AND mentally) the more you do it.

2010-12-23 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3259846

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
maria40nc - 2010-12-23 6:45 PM
PAST RACES:  5 5Ks, 2 10ks, 3 HMs, 6 Sprints, 3 Olys, 1 OWS, 2 HIMs and a Warrior Dash.  Most of that was within a 15 month span of time from the first Sprint in August 2009 to a second HIM in November 2010.

umm ... for us poor new people can you explain what a sprint, oly, and OWS is?

2010-12-23 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3259910

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
GmrGirl - 2010-12-23 8:34 PM

Don't feel bad, I have to look stuff up sometimes too.

This should help http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1014 it includes a lot of common terms used here.

Sprint is a short distance tri. Oly is olympic distance tri and ows is "open water swim"
2010-12-23 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3259910

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
GmrGirl - 2010-12-23 7:34 PM

Sprint = any triathlon with relatively short swim/bike/run legs.  Often 500-800 yards swimming, 12-15 miles biking, and a 5K run, but there are some unusual distances so look carefully before you sign up.   Top finishers are often at or under an hour. 

Oly = Olympic distance = International distance.  Specified distances of 1500m swim, 40km bike, and 10km run.  Top finishers are a little under 2 hours. 

OWS = Open Water Swim.  Can be lake, river, or ocean and any distance.  The one I did in Hawaii was 1.2 miles.  Big Shoulders in Chicago is 5 miles (I think).  It's a chance for triathletes to get completely schooled by real swimmers, no matter the distance. 
2010-12-23 9:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Anyone in for Ironman Wisconsin?

Anyone else in the Midwest? 

Anyone else on Face Book?  My name is Scott Richardson.  Feel free to find me there.

I bike so if I have a strong sport, it's that.  Let me know if I can help anyone in anyway and the more experienced riders?  I will be sucking up everything I can from you.  Also devoted to learning more about running and swimming (I train with the local Masters.)

Looking forward to learning from all of you as I go...

Edited by IceManScott 2010-12-23 9:34 PM

2010-12-24 2:21 AM
in reply to: #3260062

User image

Regular
Salem
I'am from Southern Illinois!  I live in Salem....South of Effingham and North of Mt.Vernon.  The land of the cornfields!  Makes bike rides rather interesting observing all the different cows.  lol
2010-12-24 6:25 AM

User image

New user

Eastern Iowa
I live in Eastern Iowa and can relate to the cornfields.
2010-12-24 6:31 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Smack & Srichards428, I can't get to either of your logs until you add me as a friend. 
2010-12-24 8:04 AM

User image

New user

Eastern Iowa
Snow shoveled now off to the gym for a nice little crossfit workout.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106