General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Pocono Mountains : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2011-08-08 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3634115

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Pocono Mountains : Official Thread
cyclone31 - 2011-08-08 1:04 PM

Now for the bigger question, has anyone heard the rumor that this will be pushed back to May/June of 2012? My wife will kill me if I need to start training again come Jan.

Surprised What?!?!? That would be seriously messed up. Where did you hear that?

2011-08-08 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3387835

User image

Morris County, NJ
I saw it on their facebook page but just got confirmation from Pocono Ironman the the rumor is totally false, sorry about that back to your normal training programs
2011-08-08 3:39 PM

User image

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of rumors and people complaining on the facebook page, primarily about the roads.  One road is full of potholes and one road is all gravel.  A.) The Race Director said they are going to be paved, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they will be paved.  B.) I've raced somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen different triathlon courses here in the northeast.  Maybe three of them had near-perfect roads, and the rest had frost-heaves, cracks, potholes, sand, technical turns, you-name-it; I mean - where the heck are you going to find 56-miles of baby butt smooth roads anywhere in the northeast?? 

The Pocono area is dying for events like this.  They want the positive economic impact.  And thus, the local towns will patch and repair the roads, which is good for the local residents as well.   

I plan to wait until it's closer to the event to do a dry run of the bike course.  Most-likely the repairs will be done by then.  In the meanwhile, I plan to ride routes local to me that will mimic the elevation of the course. 

Personally, I think the first or even 2nd week in October is a perfect time for a triathlon.  I've swam in 54 degree water at Lake Welch for the Harriman Half in May, and it was lovely.  I prefer biking and running in cooler temps.  I love the Fall foliage.  The Steamtown Marathon is my favorite marathon for that reason.  So to sum it up, if you are afraid of hills, gravel, potholes, cold water and cooler temps GO RACE EAGLEMAN or any other flat, hot 70.3.  I just love how people VOLUNTARILY sign up for a race and then whine and cry about it.  Too funny~!!

2011-08-08 3:55 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia

Wetsuit question. I have a sleeveless wetsuit and planned to wear that in Oct.  But, now I am thinking of getting a long sleeve wetsuit for warmth.  To those who have raced in both, do the sleeves make a huge difference for warmth?  In the past I’ve always warmed up with my sleeveless on, after I get going, don't know that I have had the pleasure of water in the 50's.  Plus, I really like the ROM that my sleeveless gives me, I have never had a long sleeve on in the water but it seems like this is something to consider.  Thanks. Hope training is going well for everyone Smile

2011-08-09 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3634585

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA
I completely agree!  I love what you said, Dream Chaser!  Wink
2011-08-09 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3634622

User image

NurseHeather - 2011-08-08 4:55 PM

Wetsuit question. I have a sleeveless wetsuit and planned to wear that in Oct.  But, now I am thinking of getting a long sleeve wetsuit for warmth.  To those who have raced in both, do the sleeves make a huge difference for warmth?  In the past I’ve always warmed up with my sleeveless on, after I get going, don't know that I have had the pleasure of water in the 50's.  Plus, I really like the ROM that my sleeveless gives me, I have never had a long sleeve on in the water but it seems like this is something to consider.  Thanks. Hope training is going well for everyone Smile

The Race Director/ website is saying they predict the water will be low 60's.  If so, I'm going to say a sleeveless will be fine.  Also factoring in it looks like 75% of the swim will be with the current -- we shouldn't be in the water that long.  But this is not a guarantee.  A long sleeve is warmer than a sleeveless.  In the higher end wetsuits (yamamoto #39 rubber) the range of motion is not an issue as the material is very flexible. 

Suggestion: The body adapts and acclimates to outside stimuli.  This is why when we stress the body through training it adapts and gets stronger.  The same is true of exposure to temperature.  After every Long Run I take an Ice Bath.  It helps promote Recovery and as a side effect, I have become extremely tolerant of cold water.  Perhaps some of this is placebo; perhaps not - but it works. Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUQwFZ_xFdM 

2011-08-09 1:16 PM

Veteran

you must go through LOTS of ice!Wink

I finally got my arse up this AM at 5 to attempt to do two-a-day workouts. Previously I never could cause kids keep us up all night but they have been sleeping well over the last month and  figure I will take opportunity to ramp it up some. So stoked for this race!

2011-08-09 2:03 PM
in reply to: #3635787

User image

New user
Philadelphia

Ok, DC I am totally inspired to start ice bathing - I plan on incorporating the deep breathing and chopping hand motions, as it seems like a key part of the process!  I love when Ice Man said " I do not feel the pain, b/c I am stronger than the pain..." so IronManish of him.

2011-08-09 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3634585

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy

Dream Chaser - 2011-08-08 4:39 PMYeah, there seems to be a lot of rumors and people complaining on the facebook page, primarily about the roads.  One road is full of potholes and one road is all gravel.  A.) The Race Director said they are going to be paved, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they will be paved.  B.) I've raced somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen different triathlon courses here in the northeast.  Maybe three of them had near-perfect roads, and the rest had frost-heaves, cracks, potholes, sand, technical turns, you-name-it; I mean - where the heck are you going to find 56-miles of baby butt smooth roads anywhere in the northeast?? 

The Pocono area is dying for events like this.  They want the positive economic impact.  And thus, the local towns will patch and repair the roads, which is good for the local residents as well.   

I plan to wait until it's closer to the event to do a dry run of the bike course.  Most-likely the repairs will be done by then.  In the meanwhile, I plan to ride routes local to me that will mimic the elevation of the course. 

Personally, I think the first or even 2nd week in October is a perfect time for a triathlon.  I've swam in 54 degree water at Lake Welch for the Harriman Half in May, and it was lovely.  I prefer biking and running in cooler temps.  I love the Fall foliage.  The Steamtown Marathon is my favorite marathon for that reason.  So to sum it up, if you are afraid of hills, gravel, potholes, cold water and cooler temps GO RACE EAGLEMAN or any other flat, hot 70.3.  I just love how people VOLUNTARILY sign up for a race and then whine and cry about it.  Too funny~!!

Well said!

Edited by swimmer04 2011-08-09 3:32 PM
2011-08-11 7:59 AM

Veteran

Is anyone else going at this race alone? Can any of you more experienced racers give me some tips or things to watch out for as I will not have any support as the family is unable to come. Will I be OK? anything I should do extra to prep as I will be without support?

Thanks,

2011-08-11 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3638860

User image

psycleridr - 2011-08-11 8:59 AM

Is anyone else going at this race alone? Can any of you more experienced racers give me some tips or things to watch out for as I will not have any support as the family is unable to come. Will I be OK? anything I should do extra to prep as I will be without support?

Thanks,

Define "Support" ... emotional support, spritual support, physical support -- such as fluids and nutrition?

I may be going solo, however I am part of a local Tri Team and a bunch of people from the Team are racing -- so really I will have friends and emotional support.   Ummm... my guess is there is someone you know who will be racing it.  Talk to the local triathletes or tri/bike shops and I'm sure you'll know someone who is going.  If not, the Race Event itself will have a ton of support in the form of volunteers, staff, medical, cheering spectators etc...    

2011-08-12 8:16 AM

User image

Morris County, NJ

Some good information can also be found on their facebook page from athletes that are testing out the course

http://www.facebook.com/Ironman70.3PoconoMountains

2011-08-15 2:17 PM

Veteran

I mean support in the very general way. I have not done ANY organized race since late 1990's (all MTB racing). This is my first triathalon and first organized event in a decade so lots of new stuff for me.

I know there are volunteers but not sure if I needed assistance over and above them for whatever (really don't know). I do not know of anyone doing the event as I am not a triathalete. My LBS is really roadie focused but I do not really hang there often so can't say I know many people from there either. I do all training by myself with exception of group road ride once/week. This includes my swim and runs.

Thanks for replies

2011-08-17 12:38 AM
in reply to: #3644420

Not to seem gloom here, but triathlon is a rather "solo" sport, even when you go with a group... out on the course its just you.  

Of course there will be plenty of support from the race staff as others have mentioned... biggest thing I can suggest is make sure you have spare tubes, a pump or Co2 inflator, and tire patches for the bike.  Also make sure you have some experience with repairing a flat.  Most local bike shops will help you out with this.  Fixing a flat on race day when you have no supplies may mean waiting for the SAG vehicle, AKA your race is over.  But with a little knowledge and supplies a flat should only set you back 5-10 min max.  

Other then that.... If you haven't done an open water swim I highly suggest going to a lake and getting your head in the muck.  Most first time triathletes find the swim to be that hardest, mostly because of the panic from being in open water.  Your heart rate starts going crazy and you feel like you cant breath.... JUST RELAX!!! Most likely you'll be wearing a wetsuit, all wetsuits have lots of bouncy and you'll easily be able to float on your back... catch your breath and try to get back into your rhythm.

Other then that race staff should have you pretty well covered

2011-08-19 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
PSA - A Philadelphia-area tri team that I am a part of (Philly Pro Tri) is hosting a training camp in the Poconos on Sept 10-11 primarily targeting those who are racing.  If you are interested more info can be found here:

Hopefully we'll get some mild weather so we won't have 10min T1s b/t the long run up from the water and a full boy band change into warm clothes

-Tim
2011-08-22 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3646767

Veteran
BiohunterGC - 2011-08-17 1:38 AM

Not to seem gloom here, but triathlon is a rather "solo" sport, even when you go with a group... out on the course its just you.  

Of course there will be plenty of support from the race staff as others have mentioned... biggest thing I can suggest is make sure you have spare tubes, a pump or Co2 inflator, and tire patches for the bike.  Also make sure you have some experience with repairing a flat.  Most local bike shops will help you out with this.  Fixing a flat on race day when you have no supplies may mean waiting for the SAG vehicle, AKA your race is over.  But with a little knowledge and supplies a flat should only set you back 5-10 min max.  

Other then that.... If you haven't done an open water swim I highly suggest going to a lake and getting your head in the muck.  Most first time triathletes find the swim to be that hardest, mostly because of the panic from being in open water.  Your heart rate starts going crazy and you feel like you cant breath.... JUST RELAX!!! Most likely you'll be wearing a wetsuit, all wetsuits have lots of bouncy and you'll easily be able to float on your back... catch your breath and try to get back into your rhythm.

Other then that race staff should have you pretty well covered

Thanks for the info. I come from a cycling background so If it takes me more than 2min to change a flat I would be pissed at myself!

As far as the OWS I used to do them when I was younger just for recreation in a lake and did many in the ocean and am a MOP swimmer right now. However, your suggestion to get one in before the race is well taken as its been a while since I've done one in a lake/river. Thanks

I think I was more concerned with support just in case something happened. You made me feel better!

2011-08-25 2:47 PM

User image

Looks like we have an Event Schedule.  I will definitely be taking a shuttle to T1!

http://ironmanpoconomountains.com/sites/default/files/2011-Event-Schedule.pdf

T-minus 37 Days and a Wake-up!!!
2011-08-25 2:55 PM

User image

How is everyone's training going? 

I'm still shaking off some minor residual fatigue from Ironman Lake Placid.  I feel it mostly on my long swims, and that is also due to not swimming for 2 weeks.  I've begun lake swimming twice a week and my fitness is coming back.  I plan to hit the pool/lake 3X a week for September (once my kids are back in school and all the camp kids are OUT of the local pool!)  However, part of me is wondering if I should just keep the swim at twice a week and use that extra bit of time for Biking/Running as it looks like 75% of the swim will be downstream!!  Any thoughts? 

I'm happy with my Bike and Run and just want to continue adding some more speed into my Long Rides/Runs for the next three weeks.  Then two weeks out I'll cut my volume by 75%, then 50% for the week before.  

To avoid Hurricane Irene, I'm getting my Long Bike in tomorrow morning. 
2011-08-25 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3659497

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Dream Chaser - 2011-08-25 3:55 PM

How is everyone's training going? 

I'm still shaking off some minor residual fatigue from Ironman Lake Placid.  I feel it mostly on my long swims, and that is also due to not swimming for 2 weeks.  I've begun lake swimming twice a week and my fitness is coming back.  I plan to hit the pool/lake 3X a week for September (once my kids are back in school and all the camp kids are OUT of the local pool!)  However, part of me is wondering if I should just keep the swim at twice a week and use that extra bit of time for Biking/Running as it looks like 75% of the swim will be downstream!!  Any thoughts? 

I'm happy with my Bike and Run and just want to continue adding some more speed into my Long Rides/Runs for the next three weeks.  Then two weeks out I'll cut my volume by 75%, then 50% for the week before.  

To avoid Hurricane Irene, I'm getting my Long Bike in tomorrow morning. 

I have had some success in "cramming" for the swim. In other words, I use the 6-8 weeks leading up to an event to get in some extra running/biking at the expense of swimming. I would only swim 2-3x a week. Than, the last 2-3 weeks I'll swim 5x a week and cut back on the running to recover a bit. I'm not a great swimmer and lose my feel for the water quite quickly. But I seem to be able to get it back by swimming 5x a week for 2-3 weeks. A short swim is a great workout for tapering anyway.
2011-08-25 8:32 PM

User image

We've got 56 BT Member's signed up for this race and only Bob and I can respond?  WHAT THE FUDGE !?!   C'mon, we got one month to go PEEPS!!

HOW IS EVERYONE FEELING?  HOW IS EVERYONE'S TRAINING GOING?? 
2011-08-26 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3660014

User image

New user
Philadelphia

This will be my first HIM and I have put A LOT of training in, it is basically all I think about right now.  Well, that and food Laughing 

Training is going well, about 3 weeks ago I panicked and dropped the BT Beginner HIM 20 wk plan for a tri coach.  I think that this has helped somewhat.  I need to get more OWS in, I am limited to Blue Marsh Lakeand the shore at this point, with all the rain and now "all systems Irene" it has been a challenge to swim outside of the pool.  Previewing the bike course the other week was very helpful, Turkey Hill...um, wow. Hope to ride some of the bike course again, perhaps over the holiday wknd

Little anecdote for ya.  Last week, after getting stuck at work late I needed to get a bike and swim in and I was loosing light.  My main squeeze had the idea of going to his parents house in the burbs so I could ride on roads with little car traffic and hop in their pool to swim right after the bike.  So, I finish my w/o and it is after 9PM when we are getting in the car.  He turns to me and I feel like he is about to ask can't we just pick up a pizza on the way home, but he says "Heath, you are an amazing woman."  So, on that note I wanted to say from a first timer, having no idea what I was getting myself into over 14 weeks ago, sticking with all this crazy training is indeed an amazing accomplishment, regardless of what happens on race day.  Safe and happy training BT'ers!   

2011-08-26 10:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ

My training is going as well as can be expected.  I'm way under trained and it is going to be a long day for me but I have limitations when it comes to training.  I have three kids under three so finding the time to fit it all in is tough.  With that said I'm in the best shape of my life and I've lost 40 lbs since January 15th.  I feel like I've already 'won'.

All my recent long bike rides have included signficant t-storms and it looks like my planned 3 hr ride tomorrow morning will be no different.  I'm planning to cram some swimming in the last few weeks as others have mentioned.  I have let that pretty much go completely due to time constraints.

Summary - I feel good, I'm excited, I'm scared sh*tless.

2011-08-26 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3660666

User image

PanicTour - 2011-08-26 11:30 AM

My training is going as well as can be expected.  I'm way under trained and it is going to be a long day for me but I have limitations when it comes to training.  I have three kids under three so finding the time to fit it all in is tough.  With that said I'm in the best shape of my life and I've lost 40 lbs since January 15th.  I feel like I've already 'won'.

All my recent long bike rides have included signficant t-storms and it looks like my planned 3 hr ride tomorrow morning will be no different.  I'm planning to cram some swimming in the last few weeks as others have mentioned.  I have let that pretty much go completely due to time constraints.

Down 40lbs!!  Damn that's awesome!!!  Congrats.  That's why this is a great lifestyle sport
2011-08-29 6:25 AM
in reply to: #3660975

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ
Dream Chaser - 2011-08-26 1:13 PM
PanicTour - 2011-08-26 11:30 AM

Down 40lbs!!  Damn that's awesome!!!  Congrats.  That's why this is a great lifestyle sport

Thanks!  I feel great.  Got my 3 hour ride in last night on the trainer...boring but done.

2011-08-30 7:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA
Dream Chaser - 2011-08-25 9:32 PM We've got 56 BT Member's signed up for this race and only Bob and I can respond?  WHAT THE FUDGE !?!   C'mon, we got one month to go PEEPS!!

HOW IS EVERYONE FEELING?  HOW IS EVERYONE'S TRAINING GOING?? 

OMG!  Stop the countdown!  I am starting to panic!!  :-[
My training is coming along.  I feel like I have not been running enough, though.  I plan to focus more on running over the next couple of weeks.  I have a long bike/run brick planned for tomorrow.  I hope it will help boost my confidence about completing the run at the end.
@Heather-did you do the bike ride on the course a few weeks ago with the Mountain Valley Bike shop in E. Stroudsburg?  I was also there.  Turkey Hill was a killer.  But, that was the worst hill.  I am very happy I got the chance to ride the course and know what to expect.
Happy training BTers!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Pocono Mountains : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 11