BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2013-02-01 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4602563

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED
So sad seeing my name on the disabled list Cry

2013-02-01 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4602883

User image

Melon Presser
rrrunner - 2013-02-01 1:03 AM

bcraht - 2013-01-31 9:10 AM Huh.  Lookit that.  The Canucks beat the Avs again.  And I got to see it live and in person.  My mom volunteers for the 50/50 groups and gets free tickets now and again.  She couldn't go last night, so SO and I got to Laughing

Hey hey now... easy on my Avs...

Well I did about an hour twenty on the drainer this morning to get my bike time to at least where it was for December (missed it by like 20 seconds Yell). The cool part, though, is that my time is about the same but my miles are higher! Yea!

I am definitely feeling yesterday's swim. Interestingly my right bicep is sore, my left bicep is slightly less sore but my left lat is sore Undecided

I'm about 3 months in to HIM training, with 8 weeks to go. I am noticing some muscle definition that I've not had before. Also all my clothes, even my skinny clothes, are loose. I hope my suits fit me for trial in a couple weeks Embarassed

Someone, I think ChrisM, posted the following elevation graph of the Oceanside bike course and I'm including my elevation graph, again, from my ride a couple weeks ago. I'm a bit nervous about the Oceanside hills but know that being at sea level will work in my favor (that's favour for those of you across the pond) too to some extent  as well. Thoughts?

HAHAHA! I forgot who originally posted the annotated elevation chart (SevenZulu maybe) but it's pretty bang-on. If you're in one of the later waves, those headwinds may be coming a lot sooner, as in during the THESE SUCK! hills.

If you regularly ride decent hills, which you do, Oceanside is not going to be a problem. So it's not. But yeah--take that first half easier than you think you should. Should you find yourself with oodles of energy, there's always those last nasty hills (which, I believe, include the one that the Marines called Mt. Mofo, not abbreviated) and headwind for you to pedal joyously through, not to mention the 13.1 running bit. Am I correct in assuming there's no running on the sand anymore?

2013-02-01 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4604057

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
jmkizer - 2013-02-01 9:48 AM

This week we have two -- count them TWO -- Racing Manatees!

February 2-3
Salty - Tubbs Romp to Stomp Snowshoe Race in Steven's Pass, Washington on Saturday where it should be mostly sunny with a low of 39 and high of 50
Stacey - Supa Sprint Tri on Sunday.  Stacey did not list the location of the race, however, the weather in the Perth area will be hot and sunny with a high of 99 and a low of 63.

Run Salty Run!

Fun Stacey Fun!

Disabled list
Kirsten - Achilles, on the mend but still no running
Darren - low back
Jonathan TX - IT band issues

In other Manatee news, Kate's graduation countdown is at 15 weeks and Jonathan AK has enrolled in a masters program.

Felicia is on deck for next week and we have a whole lotta Manatees racing the rest of the month.  Stay healthy everyone!

Wow, racing, weather, dl's and a prep for next week. Janyne is too cool.

Go Salty and Stacey!!!!

Heal Manatees, heal!!!!

Educated Manatees are happy Manatees, you both rock!!!

2013-02-01 10:33 AM
in reply to: #4603695

User image

Master
4agoodlife - 2013-01-31 8:59 PM

I was going to try to read and comment more, but who am I kidding? I've had two sick guys in my bed for the last week. I'm tired. And the docs still don't know what's wrong with my boy.

I got in the longest swim of my life last night (really 1850 is the longest straight swim ever) and put in an hour on the stationary bike tonight. It's a bare bones kinda week.

Fingers crossed for some improvement going into the weekend.

sorry you don't know anymore yet.  Hope it's all figured out soon.

2013-02-01 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4603678

User image

Master
kgore - 2013-01-31 8:42 PM

Wow--take a bit of time off from computer-ing and a new thread starts! 

I have been doing all my workouts like a good Kate, started my LAST semester of college, and dealing with accreditation prep work like a madwoman at the zoo...so I have been just looking and not posting on the computer. Accreditation inspection is over as of tomorrow, school is going to be busy, but not crazy, and my working out will be...well...it isn't going to get any less so, but I plan on staying on track...So off I go to update my training log for the rest of January. 

I'll also try to keep up with the thread better..as for February, on the 16th I have my longest strictly running race ever--the Escape From Folsom 10 Miler..I just got a new pair of trail running shoes (Innov8 X-Talons), they are on the slightly minimal side (not completely), and I think that it is the way to go for my running, cause if I run in that type of shoes, there is no hip pain any more! AWESOME! No stoppin' me now! Laughing

Eeeeeeeeek, accreditation!  We had 2(!) last year.  Thank heavens we got full status, so we don't have to go through that for another 5 years...  I hope yours goes well.  Good job on your training and congrats on starting your final semester!

2013-02-01 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4603749

User image

Master
jbwills - 2013-01-31 10:19 PM

So, I bite the bullet and registered to start my Masters Degree. Right now it will be a Masters in Management and Leadership, it should take me about 5 semesters to finish taking 2 classes per semesters. I will start my first class on Feb 11, and second class March 18. They will both be done before I leave Alaska, so no homework on the drive.

I am still kicking in the Tour of Sufferlandria, thus January is a high bike month so far. I am finding with this much riding that some of my weaker muscles are showing and getting a workout. My legs are screaming most days when I wake up. I am still getting at least 2 workouts in a day. For February I am looking at a run focus month. I am going to start a 30 runs in 30 days on February 4. Who else is streaking?? My goal is no less than 2 miles or 20 minutes a day. most will still be on the treadmill as I will have to do more runs in the morning to fit everything in the day.

My January Totals: Bike - 15h 49m 33s all trainer time, Run - 6h 57m 35s - 36.81 miles, Strength 3h. Snowshoeing - 55m. I was not able to get any swim in due to either work or the pool being closed. I will be able to get back to my Masters Swim on Saturday.

Awsome, Jonathan!

2013-02-01 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4604240

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
TriAya - 2013-02-01 9:08 AM
rrrunner - 2013-02-01 1:03 AM

bcraht - 2013-01-31 9:10 AM Huh.  Lookit that.  The Canucks beat the Avs again.  And I got to see it live and in person.  My mom volunteers for the 50/50 groups and gets free tickets now and again.  She couldn't go last night, so SO and I got to Laughing

Hey hey now... easy on my Avs...

Well I did about an hour twenty on the drainer this morning to get my bike time to at least where it was for December (missed it by like 20 seconds Yell). The cool part, though, is that my time is about the same but my miles are higher! Yea!

I am definitely feeling yesterday's swim. Interestingly my right bicep is sore, my left bicep is slightly less sore but my left lat is sore Undecided

I'm about 3 months in to HIM training, with 8 weeks to go. I am noticing some muscle definition that I've not had before. Also all my clothes, even my skinny clothes, are loose. I hope my suits fit me for trial in a couple weeks Embarassed

Someone, I think ChrisM, posted the following elevation graph of the Oceanside bike course and I'm including my elevation graph, again, from my ride a couple weeks ago. I'm a bit nervous about the Oceanside hills but know that being at sea level will work in my favor (that's favour for those of you across the pond) too to some extent  as well. Thoughts?

HAHAHA! I forgot who originally posted the annotated elevation chart (SevenZulu maybe) but it's pretty bang-on. If you're in one of the later waves, those headwinds may be coming a lot sooner, as in during the THESE SUCK! hills.

If you regularly ride decent hills, which you do, Oceanside is not going to be a problem. So it's not. But yeah--take that first half easier than you think you should. Should you find yourself with oodles of energy, there's always those last nasty hills (which, I believe, include the one that the Marines called Mt. Mofo, not abbreviated) and headwind for you to pedal joyously through, not to mention the 13.1 running bit. Am I correct in assuming there's no running on the sand anymore?

That must be similar to the one I do that I call Big Ugly. Yeah, the run is on the pier and and neighborhood streets I think. Someone in the Oceanside thread commented yesterday about it being a beautiful ride, I just have to remember that I'll be AT THE BEACH!!!!!!

Swim was good today! I'm still feeling the difficulty of the improved technique, but I am seeing that as a good thing. I finally have the reality of my technique breaking down when I get tired and how a break of a few seconds "re-sets" that. I also have the situation where I know I'm not getting any benefit out of continuing. These are experiences I'd not had because I could just go forever with my bad form. Today I also had the sensation of "gliding". It was in the 6th of my seven 125's and I wanted to keep going to hold on to the sensation!!!! My times aren't better yet but I know that will come as I continue to strengthen in this improved technique. So STOKED!!!!

Here is my January, the bike is a smidge low because of my experience last weekend:

January's totals:
Bike:18h 18m 12s  - 251.86 Mi
Run:14h 40m 36s  - 87.13 Mi
Swim:12h 54m 58s  - 25858.24 M

Thinking about streaking with Jonathon, but not sure if I want to get sweaty again today Surprised.

This is a really long post but I wanted to express my appreciation for this awesome pod!!!!! My new swimming improvements got me thinking about how much this pod has contributed to my run and bike improvements too. Salty and others really showed me that "run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard" really does work! I've also learned lots about the bike from PB, Janyne and others, and of course my new-found swim improvements credited to Skrat and her YANTINESS. You all ROCK!!!!!! MWAH!!

2013-02-01 11:13 AM

User image

Seattle
jmkizer - 2013-02-01 8:48 AM

February 2-3
Salty - Tubbs Romp to Stomp Snowshoe Race in Steven's Pass, Washington on Saturday where it should be mostly sunny with a low of 39 and high of 50
Stacey - Supa Sprint Tri on Sunday.  Stacey did not list the location of the race, however, the weather in the Perth area will be hot and sunny with a high of 99 and a low of 63.

Run Salty Run!

Fun Stacey Fun!

Disabled list
Darren - low back

In other Manatee news, Kate's graduation countdown is at 15 weeks and Jonathan AK has enrolled in a masters program.

Felicia is on deck for next week and we have a whole lotta Manatees racing the rest of the month.  Stay healthy everyone!

Heh 50, I wish! It's up at the mountain so the high is actually 36. Go Stacey!!!
2013-02-01 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4603692

User image

Pennsylvania

kgore - 2013-01-31 11:58 PM OH my goodness. After logging in all the rest of the month, I ran 93 miles last month!!!! HOLY CRAP! I might just be a runner yet.

AWESOME!!!!  Oh, and welcome back, thanks for dropping in for a visit!

2013-02-01 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4603749

User image

Seattle
jbwills - 2013-02-01 12:19 AM

So, I bite the bullet and registered to start my Masters Degree. Right now it will be a Masters in Management and Leadership, it should take me about 5 semesters to finish taking 2 classes per semesters. I will start my first class on Feb 11, and second class March 18. They will both be done before I leave Alaska, so no homework on the drive.

I am still kicking in the Tour of Sufferlandria, thus January is a high bike month so far. I am finding with this much riding that some of my weaker muscles are showing and getting a workout. My legs are screaming most days when I wake up. I am still getting at least 2 workouts in a day. For February I am looking at a run focus month. I am going to start a 30 runs in 30 days on February 4. Who else is streaking?? My goal is no less than 2 miles or 20 minutes a day. most will still be on the treadmill as I will have to do more runs in the morning to fit everything in the day.

My January Totals: Bike - 15h 49m 33s all trainer time, Run - 6h 57m 35s - 36.81 miles, Strength 3h. Snowshoeing - 55m. I was not able to get any swim in due to either work or the pool being closed. I will be able to get back to my Masters Swim on Saturday.

Great job!

I suppose I could do a conservative streak with you. At this point, sure, I will run lots but if I need to take a day I need to take a day. Not sure if you are willing to accept my half arse streaking.

My totals were:

Bike:5h 21m 59s  - 104 Mi
Run:42h 32m 32s  - 348.33 Mi
Strength:3h 08m
Snowboarding:6h 00m

With lots of other un-logged things in there. It's been a busy month and I am  not sure if February is going to slow down.

2013-02-01 11:49 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

February 2-3

Run Salty Run!

Fun Stacey Fun!

Disabled list
Darren - low back

Janyne, you continue to outdo yourself!!

SALTY AND STACEY : KICK SOME BUTT!!!  Good luck!!

2013-02-01 12:28 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I am so fired up right now!!  I just signed up to volunteer for IMLP and my friend and I were going over some of our plans for this year's trip. This will be my 5th straight year of going up for the race and my friend's 9th year.  We both LOVE the area, it is so beautiful and has so much to offer.  My goals are improve my 1 loop time of the swim course and maybe even try to do 2; ride one lap of the bike course; trail run as much as possible!  We will also go to Whiteface this year, and barring the curse of the weather gods, finally go to the top of the Olympic ski jumps outside of town.  The past 2 years both times we went to go to the ski jumps there was rain or threats of storms and they don't allow people up at those times, and the trip to Whiteface was sidetracked by others who chose to go shopping instead.  And of course hit Ben & Jerry's as many days as possible!

Oh, and no I'm not racing IMLP next year, just doing my part to give back.  Volunteering is fun!

2013-02-01 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4604411

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Asalzwed - 2013-02-01 12:13 PM
jmkizer - 2013-02-01 8:48 AM

February 2-3

Run Salty Run!

Fun Stacey Fun!

Disabled list
Darren - low back

Heh 50, I wish! It's up at the mountain so the high is actually 36. Go Stacey!!!

I can only go by what the forecast is for Steven's Pass!

2013-02-01 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4604549

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
melbo55 - 2013-02-01 1:28 PM

I am so fired up right now!!  I just signed up to volunteer for IMLP and my friend and I were going over some of our plans for this year's trip. This will be my 5th straight year of going up for the race and my friend's 9th year.  We both LOVE the area, it is so beautiful and has so much to offer.  My goals are improve my 1 loop time of the swim course and maybe even try to do 2; ride one lap of the bike course; trail run as much as possible!  We will also go to Whiteface this year, and barring the curse of the weather gods, finally go to the top of the Olympic ski jumps outside of town.  The past 2 years both times we went to go to the ski jumps there was rain or threats of storms and they don't allow people up at those times, and the trip to Whiteface was sidetracked by others who chose to go shopping instead.  And of course hit Ben & Jerry's as many days as possible!

Oh, and no I'm not racing IMLP next year, just doing my part to give back.  Volunteering is fun!

Oh!  This sounds fun!

2013-02-01 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4604549

User image

Seattle
melbo55 - 2013-02-01 12:28 PM

Very cool! That sounds like a lot of fun!

Soooo, once you get to the top of the ski jump what do you do???

Here I am at the bottom of the ski jump at whistler heh heh 

2013-02-01 12:35 PM

User image

Seattle

Damn. I have been going a million miles an hour and keep telling myself that it's going to settle down soon but then I keep piling on stuff. I think I may have too many hobbies, ha.

Anyway I blame the return on the NHL for this one. I'm playing hockey next weekend. I have been dying to play and the opportunity came up. No idea how I am going to fit everything it but ... you only live once right? RIGHT?

2013-02-01 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4604580

User image

Pennsylvania
Asalzwed - 2013-02-01 1:35 PM

Damn. I have been going a million miles an hour and keep telling myself that it's going to settle down soon but then I keep piling on stuff. I think I may have too many hobbies, ha.

Anyway I blame the return on the NHL for this one. I'm playing hockey next weekend. I have been dying to play and the opportunity came up. No idea how I am going to fit everything it but ... you only live once right? RIGHT?

Precisely!!  Congrats on getting to lace up the skates!

Love your shot at the base of the jump in Whisler!  And the answer to "what do you do once you get to the top" (of the ski jumps) is not jump!!  I think it is so people can get a true feeling of exactly how high and long those suckers are and to induce butterflies in the stomach.  Just my hunch!  But seriously, (well, the first part of the statement was serious) I'd say the view from up there has to be spectacular as well.

Edited by melbo55 2013-02-01 12:59 PM
2013-02-01 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4604621

User image

Seattle
melbo55 - 2013-02-01 12:58 PM

And the answer to "what do you do once you get to the top" (of the ski jumps) is not jump!!  I think it is so people can get a true feeling of exactly how high and long those suckers are and to induce butterflies in the stomach.  Just my hunch!  But seriously, (well, the first part of the statement was serious) I'd say the view from up there has to be spectacular as well.

You are right. I 100% agree with that. I'm actually a touch scared of heights yet did a lot of cliff jumping. There is a very distinct feeling when you are at the top looking over the edge.  

2013-02-01 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4604496

User image

Melon Presser

February 2-3

Run Salty Run!

Fun Stacey Fun!

Disabled list
Darren - low back

Thank you Janyne, you really are outdoing yourself!

GO SALTY!!!

GO STACEY!!

And warm healing loving {MELON PRESSES} to Kirsten, Darren, and Jonathan.

2013-02-01 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4604496

User image

Master
Orlando
melbo55 - 2013-02-01 11:49 AM

February 2-3

Run Salty Run!

Fun Stacey Fun!

Disabled list
Darren - low back

Janyne, you continue to outdo yourself!!

SALTY AND STACEY : KICK SOME BUTT!!!  Good luck!!

X whatever we're up to!
2013-02-01 1:05 PM

User image

Seattle

Alright so I am scouting out the team we are playing and this has gotta be one of the more awkward goalie pictures I have seen:

2013-02-01 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4604626

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-02-02 3:01 AM

And the answer to "what do you do once you get to the top" (of the ski jumps) is not jump!!  I think it is so people can get a true feeling of exactly how high and long those suckers are and to induce butterflies in the stomach.  Just my hunch!  But seriously, (well, the first part of the statement was serious) I'd say the view from up there has to be spectacular as well.

You are right. I 100% agree with that. I'm actually a touch scared of heights yet did a lot of cliff jumping. There is a very distinct feeling when you are at the top looking over the edge.  

Cliff jumping ... like into water? or ahem BASE jumping?

I have a recurring dream where I go off a ski jump ... and it's a good dream.

Odd because I'm phobic of gggg----those things, and considerably frightened of heights attached to the ground (although those are an adrenaline rush, too).

However, my worst nightmare imaginable would be to be on a narrow, nearly imperceptibly sloping downward ledge on a very high cliff that is populated with g-g-g-those things.

I think I'd have to jump just to get rid of the feeling. I pretty much want to jump just thinking about it!

2013-02-01 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4604638

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2013-02-01 1:06 PM

Odd because I'm phobic of gggg----those things, and considerably frightened of heights attached to the ground (although those are an adrenaline rush, too).

However, my worst nightmare imaginable would be to be on a narrow, nearly imperceptibly sloping downward ledge on a very high cliff that is populated with g-g-g-those things.

I think I'd have to jump just to get rid of the feeling. I pretty much want to jump just thinking about it!

Into the water, haha good question.

that's my brother, far right

2013-02-01 1:12 PM

User image

Seattle
Also, I think it could be worse. You could be on the cliff with all of those g...things AND have to jump into a pool of them. It can always be worse.
2013-02-01 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4604644

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-02-02 3:09 AM
TriAya - 2013-02-01 1:06 PM

Into the water, haha good question.

that's my brother, far right

Yummy! is he the laid-back hippie-ish one?

Love me some cliff jumping. Into water not anything else ... great, a new nightmare for me ...

Speaking of nightmares and if anyone's still reading, I did indeed give Jim the boot today. I was talking to my closest guy friend on the island (who knows Jim) and he was making fun of me ... I replied, "Well, look, I did do it nicely!"

To which he said, "Indeed, if I were to be murdered in a friendly way, I am sure it would be by you." (brings back the typology characterization of ENTJs as saying, "I'm sorry you have to die.")

Hm. Now I gotta think about that. Like, Boondock Saints friendly? Leave a tip for the boatman? Must mull.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106