Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Wheat belly
UrsusAdiposimus - 2013-04-12 10:00 PM
lisac957 - 2013-04-12 10:46 PM

UrsusAdiposimus - 2013-04-12 8:59 PM  

Lots of people feel better when they buy "energy bracelets" too

Good on them!

I say do whatever it takes to make you feel your best. Why is that frowned upon?

Because it results in the spread of misinformation, leading others to try it based on false and/or misguided assumptions. Call me a slave to logic, but I don't think that's ever a good thing.

Isn't it on the "others" to do their due diligence and decide for themselves?

I don't see how saying "I feel better not eating wheat" or "I feel better with an energy bracelet" or "I feel better wearing purple" is misguiding anyone. Sure if you try and say it's the end-all-be-all as a sweeping generalization, that's different.

2013-04-13 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4689865

User image

Master

Wow this thread really took off. I love reading all the input.

Just as an update. I have been 7 days wheat free and lost 7 lbs.

My energy level has increased and I am sleeping better at night and my allergies do seem better.

2013-04-13 9:05 PM
in reply to: #4699060

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-04-14 7:56 AM
in reply to: #4691495

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
TriToy - 2013-04-08 12:47 PM
pilotzs - 2013-04-08 12:45 PM

This is an interesting thread.  I don't have any wheat/gluten issues, or know of any within my family, but have thought about the differences of gluten-free vs. just eating a normal diet.

One of my friends growing up had a child with some behavioral problems, and they changed to a gluten free diet and say they have seen a huge difference in their son.

Which leads me to my question:

What, if any benefit, is a gluten free diet to those without any dietary issues that they are aware?

it is not just dietary issues - I have NO dietary issues

but I am hypothyroid which is autoimmune - and there are implications for gluten sensitivity - where you still have symptoms of hypothyroid though dose is ok (that is what prompted me to try)

and like I said earlier in thread my seasonal allergies improved (I went off gluten and dairy so either or both implicated there). I can now swim in chlorine without spending the night with runny nose/congestion....which is miraculous as far as I am concerned.

That's really interesting.  According to my endocrinologist, my TSH and T3/T4 levels are all correct for the dose, but I am still having issues.  I've wondered about the gluten connection.  Maybe it's time to try being gluten free.

2013-04-14 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4699228

Master
UrsusAdiposimus - 2013-04-13 10:05 PM
verga - 2013-04-13 4:31 PM

My energy level has increased and I am sleeping better at night and my allergies do seem better.

Yes but...physics...but....ah nevermind. There's no point. Good for you.

Two weeks ago I was swimming 200 meters and walking 150-200 meters in the pools. I was walking about 3/4 mile on the treadmill. I was quite fatigued at the end.

I have given up wheat for 1 week. weight went down energy went up.

I changed 1 variable.  

2013-04-14 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4699511

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
verga - 2013-04-14 9:59 AM

Two weeks ago I was swimming 200 meters and walking 150-200 meters in the pools. I was walking about 3/4 mile on the treadmill. I was quite fatigued at the end.

I changed 1 variable.  

Quit spreading misinformation! 

That's awesome!

2013-04-14 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4690447

Elite
jmcconne - 2013-04-07 6:51 PM

Just as an FYI, there are no good gluten free beers.  My wife can't eat gluten, so we've tried several.  I'm not even really sure what gluten is, but I do know it is a vital ingredient in good tasting beer.  Don't waste your money on any beer that is gluten free.

Not sure if anyone else responded to this but I will now while I'm thinking of it. I have tried almost all of the gluten free beers and had totally given up. They are horrible. But, I finally did find one that is not bad. It is called Omission. Kind of hard to find but it isn't all that bad.
2013-04-14 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4699653

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

mndiver - 2013-04-14 12:54 PM
jmcconne - 2013-04-07 6:51 PM Just as an FYI, there are no good gluten free beers.  My wife can't eat gluten, so we've tried several.  I'm not even really sure what gluten is, but I do know it is a vital ingredient in good tasting beer.  Don't waste your money on any beer that is gluten free.
Not sure if anyone else responded to this but I will now while I'm thinking of it. I have tried almost all of the gluten free beers and had totally given up. They are horrible. But, I finally did find one that is not bad. It is called Omission. Kind of hard to find but it isn't all that bad.

I chimed in a few pages ago (with Bards, New Grist, New Planet and hard ciders as my favs). I'll have to check this one out!

I will say though, that my palatte is likely skewed. I never drank "real" beer so that probably makes a difference.

In the same vein - there's a debate on whether distilled grain liquors actually eliminate gluten particles in their processing - liquors like vodka and gin. Do you gluten free folks avoid those or notice any reactions after drinking them? I do Sometimes if I stick to the potato vodka ($) or the really high end stuff ($) I'm okay. But rum seems to be okay no matter what since it's not from grain.  

2013-04-14 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4699690

Champion
New York, NY
lisac957 - 2013-04-14 2:45 PM

jmcconne - 2013-04-07 6:51 PM Just as an FYI, there are no good gluten free beers.  My wife can't eat gluten, so we've tried several.  I'm not even really sure what gluten is, but I do know it is a vital ingredient in good tasting beer.  Don't waste your money on any beer that is gluten free.

I chimed in a few pages ago (with Bards, New Grist, New Planet and hard ciders as my favs). I'll have to check this one out!

I will say though, that my palatte is likely skewed. I never drank "real" beer so that probably makes a difference.

In the same vein - there's a debate on whether distilled grain liquors actually eliminate gluten particles in their processing - liquors like vodka and gin. Do you gluten free folks avoid those or notice any reactions after drinking them? I do Sometimes if I stick to the potato vodka ($) or the really high end stuff ($) I'm okay. But rum seems to be okay no matter what since it's not from grain.  

the only time I have had a drink since going gluten free was after a HIM and I ate all sorts of things off list and paid for it.

2013-04-14 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4699420

Champion
New York, NY
Artemis - 2013-04-14 8:56 AM

This is an interesting thread.  I don't have any wheat/gluten issues, or know of any within my family, but have thought about the differences of gluten-free vs. just eating a normal diet.

One of my friends growing up had a child with some behavioral problems, and they changed to a gluten free diet and say they have seen a huge difference in their son.

What, if any benefit, is a gluten free diet to those without any dietary issues that they are aware?

but I am hypothyroid which is autoimmune - and there are implications for gluten sensitivity - where you still have symptoms of hypothyroid though dose is ok (that is what prompted me to try)

and like I said earlier in thread my seasonal allergies improved (I went off gluten and dairy so either or both implicated there). I can now swim in chlorine without spending the night with runny nose/congestion....which is miraculous as far as I am concerned.

That's really interesting.  According to my endocrinologist, my TSH and T3/T4 levels are all correct for the dose, but I am still having issues.  I've wondered about the gluten connection.  Maybe it's time to try being gluten free.

my energy improved pretty quickly. Recommending it for my Hashimoto's patients who are fatigued

2013-04-14 3:55 PM

Elite
lisac957 - 2013-04-14 1:45 PM

Make sure you go to their website first. It sounds like you could have some serious issues with wheat and gluten. I'm not sure if this makes a difference but I believe they explain how they brew it with wheat but somehow remove the gluten causing a better taste. Would be good to check out first and avoid problems.

2013-04-14 6:40 PM

Elite
lisac957 - 2013-04-14 2:45 PM

Lisa, I have read the opinions of both sides.  From what I have read, I don't believe pure, distilled spirits have gluten in them.  Now, if it's a flavored vodka, all bets are off.  I avoid those.  

We don't have an adult celiac in our home...but over a decade from now when my son is of age, I will feel comfortable toasting a mixed drink with him.  (of course, to be safe, we'll use the brands that use multiple distillations...and if there was any problem we'd know that company had cross-contamination issues because the distilled liquor itself is gluten-free)

2013-04-15 6:26 AM
in reply to: #4699511

Champion
New York, NY
UrsusAdiposimus - 2013-04-14 10:18 PM
verga - 2013-04-14 10:59 AM

I changed 1 variable.  

I see where your confusion comes from. It is not about physics. It is about biology and chemistry.

Gliadin causes inflammatory response by inciting cytokines in EVERYONE. It is a large protein and cannot cross without causing this. In some it is to the extreme of celiac. Most foods you eat are broken down into small peptides that are not recognized by the immune system. Furthermore most peptides will never encounter the immune system as they are transported transcellularly. Gliadin binds to a receptor on intestinal epithelial cells which causes a release of a protein zonulin which causes the cells in your intestine to "open" and allow unregulated transport into the body. This also occurs in all people. 

Here is a reference for you: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3044909/figure/fig01/ This shows that in healthy individuals PT-gliadin (pepsin trypsin gliadin mimicking the digestive tract) will cause a release of inflammatory cytokines

Then add that GMOs have been shown to turn off genes which I am sure some people are going to be more sensitive to. Now add in the number of people who have autoimmune disorders - Hashimotos, Arthritis, Psoriasis....and the inflammatory response is more extreme.

I am really happy for you that your body has no issues with inflammation and autoimmunity but that is no reason to bash someone who is finding a difference.  Yes it is anecdotal but for that person the response is 100%

2013-04-15 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4700213

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-04-15 7:41 AM
in reply to: #4700255

Champion
New York, NY

she did see a doctor -that was who recommended she go off wheat - see OP

eta - clearly for HER going off wheat ?gluten? has been helpful - why is that so hard for you?

NO ONE is saying everyone should go off wheat/gluten but likely 10% of the population genuinely needs to with 1% being celiac.

I also feel that GMOs and other things going on in industrialized farming are not good for us and have deleterious effects we do not even know about.

How is it a problem for you if she or anyone else eliminates wheat or gluten?

Edited by TriToy 2013-04-15 7:44 AM
2013-04-15 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4699776

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
TriToy - 2013-04-14 4:48 PM

my energy improved pretty quickly. Recommending it for my Hashimoto's patients who are fatigued

I'll give it a shot. My endocrinologist is kind of at a loss because all of my numbers indicate that I *should* be feeling good.  Except that I'm not.  I don't think it's a terrible experiment to try.  How long does it usually take to notice a difference?  (Ballpark.  I'm used to 6 - 8 weeks between Synthroid doses) I just want to make sure that I don't get frustrated and give up too early.

2013-04-15 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4700285

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
TriToy - 2013-04-15 7:41 AM

eta - clearly for HER going off wheat ?gluten? has been helpful - why is that so hard for you?

NO ONE is saying everyone should go off wheat/gluten but likely 10% of the population genuinely needs to with 1% being celiac.

I also feel that GMOs and other things going on in industrialized farming are not good for us and have deleterious effects we do not even know about.

X2 I don't understand the obsessive replies in this thread from someone who it doesn't affect. Eat what you want and whats best for you but let others do the same.
2013-04-15 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4700743

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
lisac957 - 2013-04-15 11:19 AM
TriToy - 2013-04-15 7:41 AM

X2 I don't understand the obsessive replies in this thread from someone who it doesn't affect. Eat what you want and whats best for you but let others do the same.

I agree.  I will, though, throw out one caveat.  And that is when individuals incorrectly state they have an allergy/sensitivity when in reality they are either just picky/finicky eaters or they want to avoid something.  For instance, last year Dr. Oz said to lie and claim you are allergic to butter so that when eating out they would use something else that doesn't have as much fat.  That drove the allergic community over the deep end.

Those with true food allergy's or severe sensitivities or autoimmune issues like celiac then have to continue to work on educating the public, and more importantly the food service industry, about their issues.  They are not taken seriously and that can potentially lead to some very serious issues.

If you have an allergy/sensitivity/disease that is affected by a food item, then by all means, do what you need to do.  But don't dilute the seriousness of those issues by lying and saying you have one when you don't.  It sends mixed messages to the industry.

Disclaimer: I work in the food service industry in training on food safety.  There is a ridiculous disconnect in food service and when they hear people claim they are allergic to grill marks (yes someone had a patron claim that), they have a hard time taking anyone that claims they have an allergy.

2013-04-15 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4697881

Melon Presser

lisac957 - 2013-04-12 10:59 PM Jarvey yes the panda puffs are gluten free, I like them but I'm one of those people who will eat the whole box in one sitting so I can't buy them. For wraps try Rudis brand. I have to microwave first and eat immediately otherwise they'll break. But they're big and taste good. There are also recipes out there to make your own.. I'm going to try a flax seed wrap recipe this weekend.

Damn you two and your mentions of Panda Puffs ... I would have never even looked at them ... for some completely unimaginable reason (err, demand?) our corner grocery store here in Indonesia stocks Envirokidz.

One box down.

2013-04-15 1:19 PM

Master
Livonia, MI

I've been almost 100% GF for awhile and just decided to try for the full 100% to see how it affects my body's inflammation response.  Plus, I really enjoy most of the GF products I buy more than the stuff I used to buy with gluten/wheat.

One thing I need to replace is my Kashi cereal.  I'm addicted to the GoLean Krisp Toasted Berry Crumble.  I like the way it sort of resembles granola and is moderate in calories, sugar and fat.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

ALSO....what's the scoop on whole oats, like the good old Quaker version?  GF or not?  I've heard that they can't be considered GF just because they're made with machines that may have touched gluten.  I don't know if I need to be that strict with my experimentation.....

2013-04-15 1:51 PM

Master
For the record Verga is 100% USDA MALE, at least I still was the last time I checked.

2013-04-15 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4697881

Master

lisac957 - 2013-04-12 11:59 AM Jarvey yes the panda puffs are gluten free, I like them but I'm one of those people who will eat the whole box in one sitting so I can't buy them. For wraps try Rudis brand. I have to microwave first and eat immediately otherwise they'll break. But they're big and taste good. There are also recipes out there to make your own.. I'm going to try a flax seed wrap recipe this weekend.

I have been using this recipe

1 Tablespoon melted coconut oil

3 Tablespoons ground golden flaxseed

1 /8 teaspoon Onion powder

1 /8 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon paprika

1 Egg.

Mix together in bowl and pour into a greased microwave safe pie plate. Spread evenly.

Microwave on high 2 minutes, urn 90 degrees then for another minute.

To kick it up a notch you can add Parmasean cheese and/or 1/8 teaspoon garlic power and italian seasonings.

I let it set for about 5 minutes and lift with a spatula and fill with whatever you like.

One is enough to fill me up.

2013-04-15 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4701021

New user
noelle1230 - 2013-04-15 1:19 PM

I've been almost 100% GF for awhile and just decided to try for the full 100% to see how it affects my body's inflammation response.  Plus, I really enjoy most of the GF products I buy more than the stuff I used to buy with gluten/wheat.

One thing I need to replace is my Kashi cereal.  I'm addicted to the GoLean Krisp Toasted Berry Crumble.  I like the way it sort of resembles granola and is moderate in calories, sugar and fat.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

ALSO....what's the scoop on whole oats, like the good old Quaker version?  GF or not?  I've heard that they can't be considered GF just because they're made with machines that may have touched gluten.  I don't know if I need to be that strict with my experimentation.....

My wife is extremely sensitive to gluten, so much so she can't have a regular communion wafer.  With that in mind, she has no problems with plain rolled oats like Quaker.

2013-04-15 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4701137

Master
Livonia, MI
NXS - 2013-04-15 3:09 PM
noelle1230 - 2013-04-15 1:19 PM

My wife is extremely sensitive to gluten, so much so she can't have a regular communion wafer.  With that in mind, she has no problems with plain rolled oats like Quaker.

That is excellent news, both for your wife and for me because rolled oats are the bomb Smile

2013-04-15 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4700736

Champion
New York, NY
Artemis - 2013-04-15 12:17 PM
TriToy - 2013-04-14 4:48 PM

I'll give it a shot. My endocrinologist is kind of at a loss because all of my numbers indicate that I *should* be feeling good.  Except that I'm not.  I don't think it's a terrible experiment to try.  How long does it usually take to notice a difference?  (Ballpark.  I'm used to 6 - 8 weeks between Synthroid doses) I just want to make sure that I don't get frustrated and give up too early.

I tell people 2-6 weeks - though for me it was much faster

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Wheat belly Rss Feed  

of 4