Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-08-28 7:52 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Syria

Originally posted by Jackemy1 I am absolutely of the opinion that we not intervene. However, I do hope that the decision to intervene is done constitutionally through Congress and not unilaterally by the executive branch.

big time ditto.

It would be the ultimate hypocrisy if he chooses to bypass congress.

2013-08-28 9:26 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Jackemy1 I am absolutely of the opinion that we not intervene. However, I do hope that the decision to intervene is done constitutionally through Congress and not unilaterally by the executive branch.

big time ditto.

It would be the ultimate hypocrisy if he chooses to bypass congress.

Agreed.

I'll admit I voted for Obama, I had hope that he would be different.  I think I have finally lost all faith in him and our leadership in Washington (I held on longer then most, I know!).  I don't think I'll ever vote for another D or R again.

2013-08-29 7:16 AM

New user
Originally posted by Jackemy1

I am absolutely of the opinion that we not intervene.

However, I do hope that the decision to intervene is done constitutionally through Congress and not unilaterally by the executive branch.

Not likely to happen.
2013-08-29 8:47 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky
I guess I would ask two questions of those posting in here:

1. What is your definition of "intervention"?

2. How does the concept of a standoff strike in which no US forces are ever introduced into the conflict figure into your idea of what is and isn't Constitutuional vis a vis the War Powers Resolution and the President's authority as CinC.
2013-08-29 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

However, I do hope that the decision to intervene is done constitutionally through Congress and not unilaterally by the executive branch.

I agree with this.

The problem that I have is that everyone looks at the U.S. to take action. France was one of the first countries to be outraged over the possibility of the use of chemical weapons. When France said that something must be done they immediately looked at the U.S. to take action. France has a modern Air Force, why don't they do something? Why does it always have to be the U.S.
2013-08-29 8:55 AM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by rick4657
I agree with this. The problem that I have is that everyone looks at the U.S. to take action. France was one of the first countries to be outraged over the possibility of the use of chemical weapons. When France said that something must be done they immediately looked at the U.S. to take action. France has a modern Air Force, why don't they do something? Why does it always have to be the U.S.

Well said.

Because we are the ones to take the heat from it then, especially if things go bad.

2013-08-29 9:35 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by Justin86

Originally posted by rick4657
I agree with this. The problem that I have is that everyone looks at the U.S. to take action. France was one of the first countries to be outraged over the possibility of the use of chemical weapons. When France said that something must be done they immediately looked at the U.S. to take action. France has a modern Air Force, why don't they do something? Why does it always have to be the U.S.

Well said.

Because we are the ones to take the heat from it then, especially if things go bad.

No one seems to like the Police until they need help. And if something goes wrong they blame the Police.
2013-08-29 9:52 AM
in reply to: ScudRunner

User image

Elite

Originally posted by ScudRunner I guess I would ask two questions of those posting in here: 1. What is your definition of "intervention"? 2. How does the concept of a standoff strike in which no US forces are ever introduced into the conflict figure into your idea of what is and isn't Constitutuional vis a vis the War Powers Resolution and the President's authority as CinC.

I think it is pretty well understood we are talking about military actions.

If an USAF pilot drops a bombm he's been "introduced". No different than a Navy guy pushing a button for a cruise missle, or some guy flying a drone. Military actions, introduce US Forces.

If Obama wants to declare war on Syria, then let him make his case. But I'm done with the US taking military actions all over the world.

2013-08-29 10:22 AM
in reply to: ScudRunner

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ScudRunner I guess I would ask two questions of those posting in here: 1. What is your definition of "intervention"? 2. How does the concept of a standoff strike in which no US forces are ever introduced into the conflict figure into your idea of what is and isn't Constitutuional vis a vis the War Powers Resolution and the President's authority as CinC.

My definition of intervention is armed conflict.  There is no distinction between boots on the ground or lasers from space in the War Powers Resolution.  It simply states that the president cannot commit our troops to armed conflict without the consent of congress, unless there is a national emergency due to us being attacked.  Even then, he only has 60 days that he's allowed without congressional consent.

I know that Reagan, Clinton, and Bush have all violated this act, but Obama was such an outspoken critic of Bush getting us into conflicts without congressional consent, it makes for a unique political aspect to intervention as well.

From Wiki:

The War Powers Resolution of 1973 (50 U.S.C. 1541-1548)[1] is a federal law intended to check the president's power to commit the United States to an armed conflict without the consent of Congress. The resolution was adopted in the form of a United States Congress joint resolution; this provides that the President can send U.S. armed forces into action abroad only by authorization of Congress or in case of "a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces."

The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period, without an authorization of the use of military force or a declaration of war. The resolution was passed by two-thirds of Congress, overriding a presidential veto. The War Powers Resolution has been violated in the past by President Reagan in regards to the aid to the Contras in Nicaragua and by President Clinton in 1999, during the bombing campaign in Kosovo. All incidents have had congressional disapproval, but none have had any successful legal actions taken against the president for violations.[2][3] All presidents since 1973 have declared their belief that the act is unconstitutional.

2013-08-29 10:49 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

As we all know yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the "I have a dream" speech. Our history is filled with leaders who said great things and said it with conviction. JFK, Lincoln, MLK, RWR, and so on.

Yet our modern day equivalent are speeches filled with hyperbole, rhetoric, and teleprompters. In has been. I can't help but blame the emptiness of Obama's words "Crossing the red line" as a major reason we are now backed into the corner on this Syria thing. I can't remember the last time I listened to a political speech and not though....BS.

The juxtaposition between any speech MLK and the best Obama speech is disappointing.
2013-08-29 11:10 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Jackemy1 As we all know yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the "I have a dream" speech. Our history is filled with leaders who said great things and said it with conviction. JFK, Lincoln, MLK, RWR, and so on. Yet our modern day equivalent are speeches filled with hyperbole, rhetoric, and teleprompters. In has been. I can't help but blame the emptiness of Obama's words "Crossing the red line" as a major reason we are now backed into the corner on this Syria thing. I can't remember the last time I listened to a political speech and not though....BS. The juxtaposition between any speech MLK and the best Obama speech is disappointing.

Historical filters and microscopes are not really good for comparison. Not at all saying Obama has said anything worthy.... but history plays a big part on what importance we do or don't give speeches from the past. I'm sure the past held an equal amount of BS for any given time point.

2013-08-29 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Originally posted by Jackemy1 As we all know yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the "I have a dream" speech. Our history is filled with leaders who said great things and said it with conviction. JFK, Lincoln, MLK, RWR, and so on. Yet our modern day equivalent are speeches filled with hyperbole, rhetoric, and teleprompters. In has been. I can't help but blame the emptiness of Obama's words "Crossing the red line" as a major reason we are now backed into the corner on this Syria thing. I can't remember the last time I listened to a political speech and not though....BS. The juxtaposition between any speech MLK and the best Obama speech is disappointing.
Totally agree.  There was a time when the ominous words of a world leader actually meant something-but no more.    
2013-08-29 2:19 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jeffnboise
Totally agree.  There was a time when the ominous words of a world leader actually meant something-but no more.    

They meant something in the last administration......Bush's problem was target acquisition. Laughing

2013-08-29 2:32 PM

New user
Not anymore, for me I am just tired of politicians pi$$ing on my leg and telling me its raining.
2013-08-29 2:50 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jeffnboise

They meant something in the last administration......Bush's problem was target acquisition. Laughing

Good point!  I stand (humbly) corrected.  Yell

2013-08-31 1:08 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Regardless of the reason(s) behind the decision, I have respect for President Obama seeking authorization from Congress before ordering military strikes against Syria.  

I would love it if the Obama Doctrine turns out to be seeking Congressional approval before military action.  It's hard to square with Libya, but it's never too late to start.

2013-08-31 7:01 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by NXS

Not likely to happen.

Well, now that the president has done exactly what you thought was, "not likely," I take it there will be multiple posts coming to credit President Obama.
Hmm, only Hook 'em did. Props to Hook 'em!

The intervene or not to intervene is a tough call. Both sides make great points. But, the one that comes to mind for me right now (probably because I've been watching an H2 program on early 1930's Germany today) is, when DO we intervene? Was 400+ schoolkids as part of 1000+ Syrians being killed with chemical weapons enough? If not, would 2000 kids and 5000 total folks have done the trick? I understand there's been a ton of blood already shed in Syria...but isn't the argument that use of chemical weapons has to incur some sort of punishment?

The prez is screwed either way. Syria is a no-win situation. Had tomahawks been fired already, it would have been decried as an overreach of his authority, a snub to Congress. Not having fired on Syria already, he's labeled weak and vacillating. Boots on the ground is a no-win period...unless some special ops force can secure loose WMDs (chem weapons).
2013-08-31 8:20 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Elite

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
Originally posted by NXS
Not likely to happen.
Well, now that the president has done exactly what you thought was, "not likely," I take it there will be multiple posts coming to credit President Obama. Hmm, only Hook 'em did. Props to Hook 'em! The intervene or not to intervene is a tough call. Both sides make great points. But, the one that comes to mind for me right now (probably because I've been watching an H2 program on early 1930's Germany today) is, when DO we intervene? Was 400+ schoolkids as part of 1000+ Syrians being killed with chemical weapons enough? If not, would 2000 kids and 5000 total folks have done the trick? I understand there's been a ton of blood already shed in Syria...but isn't the argument that use of chemical weapons has to incur some sort of punishment? The prez is screwed either way. Syria is a no-win situation. Had tomahawks been fired already, it would have been decried as an overreach of his authority, a snub to Congress. Not having fired on Syria already, he's labeled weak and vacillating. Boots on the ground is a no-win period...unless some special ops force can secure loose WMDs (chem weapons).

Dude, seriously... who cares about the Pres... he wanted the job, criticized the Pres of all the wrong decisions he made for 2 straight years, now it's his turn. Seriously... you make a case for 400 gassed kids... and then you want to defend the Presidents be cause he will be "criticized". Undecided

Again... if the GLOBAL community has rules about chemical weapons use, and the GLOBAL community does not like that they did use them, and there has to be some sort of punishment... then what difference does it make what one man is going to do? I think the entire problem with this nation is that everybody is ACTUALLY concerned what ONE man is going to do... when there is 6 billion people on this planet. How about the WORLD stand up and do SOMETHING?

2013-08-31 9:24 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by powerman

Originally posted by NXS
Not likely to happen.
Well, now that the president has done exactly what you thought was, "not likely," I take it there will be multiple posts coming to credit President Obama. Hmm, only Hook 'em did. Props to Hook 'em! The intervene or not to intervene is a tough call. Both sides make great points. But, the one that comes to mind for me right now (probably because I've been watching an H2 program on early 1930's Germany today) is, when DO we intervene? Was 400+ schoolkids as part of 1000+ Syrians being killed with chemical weapons enough? If not, would 2000 kids and 5000 total folks have done the trick? I understand there's been a ton of blood already shed in Syria...but isn't the argument that use of chemical weapons has to incur some sort of punishment? The prez is screwed either way. Syria is a no-win situation. Had tomahawks been fired already, it would have been decried as an overreach of his authority, a snub to Congress. Not having fired on Syria already, he's labeled weak and vacillating. Boots on the ground is a no-win period...unless some special ops force can secure loose WMDs (chem weapons).

Dude, seriously... who cares about the Pres... he wanted the job, criticized the Pres of all the wrong decisions he made for 2 straight years, now it's his turn. Seriously... you make a case for 400 gassed kids... and then you want to defend the Presidents be cause he will be "criticized". Undecided

Again... if the GLOBAL community has rules about chemical weapons use, and the GLOBAL community does not like that they did use them, and there has to be some sort of punishment... then what difference does it make what one man is going to do? I think the entire problem with this nation is that everybody is ACTUALLY concerned what ONE man is going to do... when there is 6 billion people on this planet. How about the WORLD stand up and do SOMETHING?

Wow. nice response. It truly amazes me to see how you interpreted my post.

Are you implying that unless the rest of the world is prepared to respond to Assad's use of WMDs (which, I'm pretty sure chemical weapons are considered) we should not feel obligated to do anything?
I'm pretty sure that's why I asked if it was the # of child victims that wasn't enough. What if it was 10,000 total with 2,000 kids? Would non-intervention still be the right thing to do?
I don't know the right answer, and you don't know the right answer.
(btw, what was I thinking tip-toeing into this area...I think I'll go back to my non-interventionist ways. )
Have fun, it's been suuuuch a pleasure!

2013-08-31 9:52 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by powerman I don't care. Sorry. When the people get tired of getting gassed, then the people can rise up. Perhaps at some point they will get tired of following violent dictators. Perhaps the global community can embargo the oil, and stop financing their violent dictatorships. Perhaps those that live in the region, will get tired of violent actions and not getting paid, and the people in the region can exert pressure to get their neighbors to act right. I just don't care anymore. And people getting gassed is in no way any different to people getting shot, maimed, and killed and exiled into poverty by their leaders. People suffer and die every single day all over the world. Same goes for Egypt.

I read Jeff's post and I thought, damn right!  Then I read this ^ and I thought, you know what, I don't care either.  I think in the end I don't care if everyone over there gases each other to extinction......I'm sick of it. 

Really, what the hell CAN we do?  Fire off a few dozen rockets and kill some women and children of our own?  I'm trying to figure out how the entire planet wouldn't be better off with the whole region blown the hell up.

I don't want to feel that way, I want to feel like Jeff does......but there is a limit to what I'm willing to put up with and care about as an individual.....I'm about there.  Fork it.

I think we should support they guys who are willing to eat the heart and liver of their dead enemies,,,, at least I think the dude was dead.

Personally I think the majority of the people in other countries we give money to laugh at us for doing it.

2013-08-31 10:28 PM

User image

Elite

So, we have a topic on Syria, and you use it to take some shots on those you think are taking shots. I have someone I think you would like to meet....

But let's take your example of 2000 kids gassed. Russia does not threaten to withhold all military aid if chemical weapons are used again. France does not send their warships to the area. Britain does not plan airal strikes. Nobody in the region condemns their actions. Nobody tries to play third party and broker a peace. Nobody has any other thoughts outside the box.... and yet the U.S. is the only one that is supposed to take military action? The U.S. is the only country that has to take the heat from extremist Muslims that vow revenge? The U.S. is the only country on the planet that will lift a finger over kids getting gassed.... ya, what's wrong with that picture?

2013-09-01 3:08 PM

New user

Originally posted by NXS

Not likely to happen.

Well, now that the president has done exactly what you thought was, "not likely," I take it there will be multiple posts coming to credit President Obama.
Hmm, only Hook 'em did. Props to Hook 'em!

The intervene or not to intervene is a tough call. Both sides make great points. But, the one that comes to mind for me right now (probably because I've been watching an H2 program on early 1930's Germany today) is, when DO we intervene? Was 400+ schoolkids as part of 1000+ Syrians being killed with chemical weapons enough? If not, would 2000 kids and 5000 total folks have done the trick? I understand there's been a ton of blood already shed in Syria...but isn't the argument that use of chemical weapons has to incur some sort of punishment?

The prez is screwed either way. Syria is a no-win situation. Had tomahawks been fired already, it would have been decried as an overreach of his authority, a snub to Congress. Not having fired on Syria already, he's labeled weak and vacillating. Boots on the ground is a no-win period...unless some special ops force can secure loose WMDs (chem weapons).

Yes I am surprised by what Mr. Obama did. Not sure what I think are his reasons for doing so. My gut is he and with the help of Hillary backed himself into a corner and sees a way out. I still don't believe we should take action, but that said, if Mr. Obama was/is going to strike, he waited too long. His inexperience is showing up big time with this one.
2013-09-02 6:52 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Its all about 2014 elections and the politics thereof. If anyone in Washington gave 2 craps about Syria, Congress would be coming back from vacation to take a vote, which they're not, and the president wouldn't have gone golfing after his Rose Garden announcement.
2013-09-02 1:44 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by Mike_D Its all about 2014 elections and the politics thereof. If anyone in Washington gave 2 craps about Syria, Congress would be coming back from vacation to take a vote, which they're not, and the president wouldn't have gone golfing after his Rose Garden announcement.

I agree.  BO wants to hold Congress' feet to the fire; he WANTS a vote that can be used for/against that member in the next election cycle.  And, while I LOVE the idea of making our elected leaders accountable, I HATE the idea that this country's World Standing (yes, we most certainly DO have a certain ...standing....as a world leader) is being squandered for the sake of political posturing.

"If you think too much about being re-elected, it is very difficult to be WORTH re-electing."  Woodrow Wilson.

2013-09-03 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by powerman

So, we have a topic on Syria, and you use it to take some shots on those you think are taking shots. I have someone I think you would like to meet....

But let's take your example of 2000 kids gassed. Russia does not threaten to withhold all military aid if chemical weapons are used again. France does not send their warships to the area. Britain does not plan airal strikes. Nobody in the region condemns their actions. Nobody tries to play third party and broker a peace. Nobody has any other thoughts outside the box.... and yet the U.S. is the only one that is supposed to take military action? The U.S. is the only country that has to take the heat from extremist Muslims that vow revenge? The U.S. is the only country on the planet that will lift a finger over kids getting gassed.... ya, what's wrong with that picture?

Someone crashes their bike on the side of the road, and everyone else drives by. Do you drive by too just because no one else stopped?

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Syria Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Syria - WWCOJD?

Started by ScudRunner
Views: 1878 Posts: 15

2013-05-07 6:32 PM ChineseDemocracy