Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2009-01-27 4:12 PM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED
Hey Barry. I am not in quite the same league as Suzy and Steve but if you want to improve your speed one of the best things you can do is incorporate sprints into your runs. My times have improved immensely from when I first started to run. I have been slower lately as I am running longer distances than before. I will build up my speed when I have my endurance in the place I want it to be. For me it is complete the distance first and then worry about the speed.

Edited by Redknight 2009-01-27 4:21 PM

2009-01-27 4:21 PM
in reply to: #1932204

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
trying1 - 2009-01-27 4:58 PM

Swimming etiquette questions-

Hey everyone, i was with my swim coach swimming laps with 2, sometimes 3 other people (people were not part of the class) in a lane (swimming in circles).  what is the proper etiquette when passing someone?  Do you just sprint by them hoping you don’t run into the other swimmers? Or do you ask to pass them?  Or when you’re quickly taking instruction from someone while in the pool do you get out of the pool to listen to them or do you go to a corner of the lane?  also do you avoid doing drills when the pool is that crowded?

My coach didn't say anything so i thought i was ok but i felt a little rude..  When swimming by someone i basically timed it so i would just sprint by them..  sometimes i got pretty close to the other swimmers.  Also when taking instruction from my coach i just went to the corner of the lane so that i was out of the way of the other swimmers pushing off the wall.  my coach said swimming cicular laps with others was good practice for the tri because i learn how to pass people.... 

If there are only a few people you can sprint past them. With the number I was with the other day there was always someone coming down the other side of the lane. Generally I would time my leaving the wall so I wouldn't run into them in the middle of the lane. It was hard as I was pulling hard enough with doing just arms to catch up. There was only 1 guy who was a pain and wouldnt wait for someone to go ahead if he was caught at the wall. I genelayy timeed it so that I could sprint the last little bit and be off the wall before him. Generally speaking the etiquette was good and people would wait at the wall for faster swimmers to go by. I think that by going to the corner of the lane while talking to your instructor you were certainly out of the way of the other swimmers and wouldn't pose any inconvenience to them.
2009-01-27 4:35 PM
in reply to: #1932245

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Redknight - 2009-01-27 4:21 PM
trying1 - 2009-01-27 4:58 PM Swimming etiquette questions-

Hey everyone, i was with my swim coach swimming laps with 2, sometimes 3 other people (people were not part of the class) in a lane (swimming in circles).  what is the proper etiquette when passing someone?  Do you just sprint by them hoping you don’t run into the other swimmers? Or do you ask to pass them?  Or when you’re quickly taking instruction from someone while in the pool do you get out of the pool to listen to them or do you go to a corner of the lane?  also do you avoid doing drills when the pool is that crowded?

My coach didn't say anything so i thought i was ok but i felt a little rude..  When swimming by someone i basically timed it so i would just sprint by them..  sometimes i got pretty close to the other swimmers.  Also when taking instruction from my coach i just went to the corner of the lane so that i was out of the way of the other swimmers pushing off the wall.  my coach said swimming cicular laps with others was good practice for the tri because i learn how to pass people.... 

If there are only a few people you can sprint past them. With the number I was with the other day there was always someone coming down the other side of the lane. Generally I would time my leaving the wall so I wouldn't run into them in the middle of the lane. It was hard as I was pulling hard enough with doing just arms to catch up. There was only 1 guy who was a pain and wouldnt wait for someone to go ahead if he was caught at the wall. I genelayy timeed it so that I could sprint the last little bit and be off the wall before him. Generally speaking the etiquette was good and people would wait at the wall for faster swimmers to go by. I think that by going to the corner of the lane while talking to your instructor you were certainly out of the way of the other swimmers and wouldn't pose any inconvenience to them.

I agree with this.  I think you would have received a dirty look if you were really bothering someone.  The bottom line is everyone should expect some inconveniences during their swim if the pool is that crowded.  I am lucky that I do have not experienced any crowded swims during practice..

2009-01-27 4:49 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Barry- Maybe Mark (Texwilk) can chime in.... He is by far the fastest runner in the group, but I agree w/ others.... You must incorporate speed work on some of your runs!  I find the best place to do this is the treadmill.  It forces you to run fast, they have INTERVAL programs which does the "timing" of fast vs. slow for you, etc.... Then when you are outside try pushing your pace some!  I always try to hook up with runners who can kick my butt.  It forces me to keep up with them!  And one last thing I feel that has helped me is running hills! 

trying01---- Let's be honest, the other people should be aware of their speed as well!  You did what you should have done all the way around.  It would have been nice of them to wait on the wall until you started your next lap and went behind you!  Maybe they can even learn to draft by sitting on your feet!  Good practice for racing!

2009-01-27 5:10 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Hey guys...so I rested yesterday and it was wonderful to wake up fresh! I still did my short, hard interval workout today...just shorter than normal.

I also like doing speedwork on the TM, I tried it on the track last year and kept getting little injuries. I will swim tomorrow and friday and do a short (3.5 mi) tempo run at planned race pace on Thursday...Saturday will be another rest and hydrate day.

Steve, I'm thinking 8:15-8:20/mile depending on how everything feels. It's supposed to be a beautiful day (45-50 degrees), my favorite running temp! My goals are to stay injury free, finish with a smile and hopefully break 1:50 But if I don't it's okay because it'll be a PR no matter what. I signed up for this to stay in shape over the winter and to gain confidence for my HIM later this summer.

I never have to share lanes with more than one person, thank goodness, because I'd be the one hugging the lane dividers

2009-01-27 5:58 PM

User image

Pro

Well I can't wait to hear about it!!! Best of luck, and enjoy your rest this week!!!  Just remember at this point you are not going to improve your fitness for Sunday's Race so don't push it at all this week!  Don't eat strange foods, etc... Just enjoy your week!

Sunday is JUST ANOTHER TRAINING DAY!  Only a little longer, and a little faster!  SMILING WILL TAKE YOU FAR, and FAST!

Edited by swbkrun 2009-01-27 5:59 PM

2009-01-28 5:31 AM
in reply to: #1931977

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Plainsman AU - 2009-01-27 2:18 PM
swbkrun - 2009-01-27 10:16 AM

Barry how is the weather by you? I thought I saw on the news.. NO GOOD?

Only about 70 degrees today!  (sunshine)  So I would call it a nice day out.  Would love to go for a ride, but am on child duty while my wife is at work today.  I will be out of town the next couple, so I am "working" from home today.

Question for you RUNNERS  out there.  I see where the STEVEs and SUZY's in the bunch do the "leisurely" 8.5 minute miles.  Well, I did hit 8.5 pace running downhill yesterday, but felt like I was sprinting.  My plan up to this point has been just build up some miles and keep my HR down in zone 2, but when I run at all zone 3 is actually where I spend most time, but feel comfortable. 

I guess my question is...where did you fast people start out and how long did it take you to get there? 

It took be a good bit of time to be able to do 8:30s as my EZ pace (I started out as a run/walker 6 years ago).  For me, Tempo runs provided the greatest improvement in speed over a longer distance.  To establish pace, it should be hard, but not all out.  Ultimately, this is the pace you should be able to sustain for an hour.  You might consider starting out with a mile warm-up, 2-3m at Tempo Pace and a mile cool-down.  Teaching your body to go faster for longer periods of time is a good way to train for races and often causes less injury that intervals (e.g. 400, 800s).

This is a good introductory article on the topic.  You might also consider using McMillan's calculator to establish your pacing.  One thing to consider is what length races you want to be doing.  Tempos work for me, but I usually race half and full marathons. 

Personally, I am not a big fan of track workouts and only use the TM for Tempos/Speedwork when I have to.  I much prefer to use my GPS, map out a course a head of time and train like I race. I am forced on the TM due to weather/rehab, but it isn't my preference!

Suzy

2009-01-28 8:05 AM
in reply to: #1933040

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2009-01-28 6:31 AM

Only about 70 degrees today!  (sunshine)  So I would call it a nice day out.  Would love to go for a ride, but am on child duty while my wife is at work today.  I will be out of town the next couple, so I am "working" from home today.

Question for you RUNNERS  out there.  I see where the STEVEs and SUZY's in the bunch do the "leisurely" 8.5 minute miles.  Well, I did hit 8.5 pace running downhill yesterday, but felt like I was sprinting.  My plan up to this point has been just build up some miles and keep my HR down in zone 2, but when I run at all zone 3 is actually where I spend most time, but feel comfortable. 

I guess my question is...where did you fast people start out and how long did it take you to get there? 

It took be a good bit of time to be able to do 8:30s as my EZ pace (I started out as a run/walker 6 years ago).  For me, Tempo runs provided the greatest improvement in speed over a longer distance.  To establish pace, it should be hard, but not all out.  Ultimately, this is the pace you should be able to sustain for an hour.  You might consider starting out with a mile warm-up, 2-3m at Tempo Pace and a mile cool-down.  Teaching your body to go faster for longer periods of time is a good way to train for races and often causes less injury that intervals (e.g. 400, 800s).

This is a good introductory article on the topic.  You might also consider using McMillan's calculator to establish your pacing.  One thing to consider is what length races you want to be doing.  Tempos work for me, but I usually race half and full marathons. 

Personally, I am not a big fan of track workouts and only use the TM for Tempos/Speedwork when I have to.  I much prefer to use my GPS, map out a course a head of time and train like I race. I am forced on the TM due to weather/rehab, but it isn't my preference!

Suzy

I agree.  also check out the runnersworld.com plans. 

My week this week using their plan

Tue Easy Recovery Run 2mi @ 10:19

Thr Tempo Run

Tempo Run

1 Mi Warmup
5 Mi @ 8:55
1 Mi Cooldown

Sunday Long Run 9mi @ 10:19

I started my easy runs pace at 10:35 or something similar and it has come down every couple weeks by ~10/secs a mile  It alternates weeks with speed and tempo runs.

Using these plans I have gotten considerably faster in the last year, it lets me build up the mileage plus add some speed.

2009-01-28 8:13 AM
in reply to: #1932274

User image

Extreme Veteran

texwilk - 2009-01-27 5:35 PM
Redknight - 2009-01-27 4:21 PM
trying1 - 2009-01-27 4:58 PM Swimming etiquette questions-

I agree with this.  I think you would have received a dirty look if you were really bothering someone.  The bottom line is everyone should expect some inconveniences during their swim if the pool is that crowded.  I am lucky that I do have not experienced any crowded swims during practice..

Thanks!  I hate swimming in circles but at least now I know what the proper thing to do when I have to.

2009-01-28 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1932226

User image

Champion

If you didn't catch this post and want some swim tips this is a good one.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=145610&posts=9&start=1

I like the link that Jorge posts with the virtual swimmer, I am going to try this today in the pool.

Also if anyone is in the market for bike parts check out www.probikekit.com  They are a place out of england but shipping is free to the US and a lot of their stuff is cheaper than what you can get it on e-bay for.  I was looking for a Dura Ace Front Derailluer and on E-bay was going to be paying 51 or 52 bucks with shipping for a used one.  They have them for 50 bucks brand new.

Pro race 3 tires cheaper than anywhere else I have seen.

2009-01-28 10:59 AM

User image

Pro
Tony I bought a bunch of stuff here for my bike when I was building it! They do a great job, and get stuff shipped pretty quickly!

2009-01-28 1:16 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Damn you people!! As if I needed another website to buy from.Cool

2009-01-28 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Thanks for reminding me of that site Tony!  The Pro3's are about half the price there than Performance before you pay for shipping from Performance, but not from England! Cool
2009-01-28 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1933849

User image

Pro
TrevorC - 2009-01-28 11:16 AM

Come on Trevor... Matching tires, matching bar tape, carbon fiber water bottle holder's to save yourself a couple grams, and a new bike computer.  It makes TOTAL SENSE !!!!

2009-01-28 1:51 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Thats the problem Steve. I can convince myself that I NEED it. It's trying to explian to my wife when the UPS guy comes that i NEEDED it.
2009-01-28 3:06 PM
in reply to: #1933849

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-01-28 2:16 PM

Hehe I am an enabler

2009-01-28 3:08 PM
in reply to: #1934094

User image

Champion

Went to the pool today after reading that post I linked and really tried to focus on the catch phase of my stroke.

Swam an 11:40 - 600, first swim of any significant distance under 2:00/100, very happy with that.  

2009-01-28 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1934099

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2009-01-28 4:08 PM

Went to the pool today after reading that post I linked and really tried to focus on the catch phase of my stroke.

Swam an 11:40 - 600, first swim of any significant distance under 2:00/100, very happy with that.  

Congrats!  Nice job. 

Just to add to Tevor's domestic troubles, here is a website where you can rent wheels for race day.  The wife might go for that better.  http://www.racedaywheels.com/home.html

2009-01-28 4:23 PM
in reply to: #1933040

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
SSMinnow - 2009-01-28 5:31 AM

Suzy

I am kind of late chiming in but I agree with Suzy and focus on tempo runs.  I have always been a pretty fast runner over short distances but the tough part for me has been stretching out my runs and trying to maintain a pretty quick pace.  As a reference, I ran the Jinglebell 5K last month and was curious to see how fast I could go since I only had 5k reference times from my sprint tri's.  Anyway, I ended the race with a 6:10 mile average and was quite pleased.  I usually average about 7:20 - 7:30 in my training runs. 

I do occasional speed work on the treadmill but that is about it.  I also find it helpful to find some hills to train on too.

2009-01-28 4:35 PM
in reply to: #1934258

User image

Pro
tahrens - 2009-01-28 2:11 PM
dalessit - 2009-01-28 4:08 PM

Congrats!  Nice job. 

Just to add to Tevor's domestic troubles, here is a website where you can rent wheels for race day.  The wife might go for that better.  http://www.racedaywheels.com/home.html

Trevor I used Race Day a few times before I finally bucked up on wheels.......  THEY ARE AWESOME!!! Marc Lee take care of his customer's!!!

2009-01-28 5:41 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Hey now thats Tracy causing problems! I'm not getting myself new wheels...I haven't even raced once race yet!!

2009-01-28 6:03 PM
in reply to: #1934463

User image

Champion

TrevorC - 2009-01-28 6:41 PM Hey now thats Tracy causing problems! I'm not getting myself new wheels...I haven't even raced once race yet!!

yeah but don't you want to be faster?

MUAHAHAHAHA!

2009-01-28 6:26 PM

User image

Pro
Trevor you can RENT THEM... You don't have to buy them!!!
2009-01-28 6:36 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
oh shucks...It looks like they ship only in the continental US. Maybe when I do my Oly in Vegas to end the year!
2009-01-28 9:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
So I missed my workout this morning before work & had to double up this evening after work.  I swam 1800 yards then ran immediately after for about 40 min on the treadmill.  Since it has been a few months since I have done any kind of brick workout I thought I would be totally worn out.  But I felt fantastic by the time I left.  Now I'm all hyped up and will probably never get to sleep. Smile
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73