BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-04-28 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
Holly that sucks! WTF?  I would just swing your arms around, stretch your back/neck, and jog it out!  Unreal though.  I have never heard of that!

2009-04-28 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Janet: good advice from all here. Listen to your body and if you are sure whether to go a little harfder or not on your runs etc take it on the light side.

Tracy. I'm in agreement with Steve. You have worked so hard that to not even give it a chance would be a shame. DNF is not something to be concerned about. Getting out and trying if you can is much more important. You've been around us long enough for us to know that you can do this if you get into the right frame of mind and just go. YOU CAN DO IT SUGAR

Holly: THat is very strange that you cannot get in a pre swim. THis must be and indoor swim right? I would just warm up your body as best you can . Light jogging windmilling arms snd of course stretching. I know how you feel about the warm as it usually takes me about 500M to really get into any kind of rhythm if I have warmed up first.

I went for a run today in the rain and the first 12K were great. I decided to go a little further and my body just kind of blew out on me. My knees felt like they were just going to collapse and I had to walk a good portion of the last 3K I did. I also got a blister on my little toe.

2009-04-28 1:37 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Yes I'm alive....I'm stimulating this econmy on my own is seems.  I like my new shoes. Going to run with my wife tonight and give them the test. They look good anyhow and thats like 90% of it.

I do have a quick 2 tire questions though. My bike had some nice tires on it--Vittoria RubinoPro Intrepid and a Conni 4000 Grand Prix. But being  a dumba$$ like I am, how do i really tell when I need new ones?
Oh and big news, I changed a tire on Sunday night. I had NEVER EVER in my life changed a bike tire. When you are putting it back on, is there an easy way to the last bit of the tire on the rim? I had to really pry to get that last piece of the tire back on with the tire tool.
2009-04-28 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
Holy smokes you all are busy!  I leave for the weekend and am out of town Monday and Today for work and have 11 pages to check out.  I peeked in a time or two so I knew I was way behind.

While I am catching up I NEED SOME ADVICE!

My half-marathon starts at 7:30am this Saturday. This my first race of any sort.
I am not a morning person at all.

My problem is AM nutrition.  Every time I have tried a long run in the AM I have been absolutely miserable.  Dead at about 45-50 minutes.  I can keep going but pay for it for at least another day (sometimes two).  My tanks just seem to be really low in the morning.

I am focusing on diet and hydration this week.  But I need some tips on Saturday morning.  Should I try to eat something late Friday and get up super early Saturday to try to get more in me?

Any help is appreciated.  My only AM activity to this point has been golf which I can do on a Coke and a Snickers (and still shoot even par)!

Thanks, all.
I will start catching up tomorrow.
2009-04-28 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2116049

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
TrevorC - 2009-04-28 2:37 PM Yes I'm alive....I'm stimulating this econmy on my own is seems.  I like my new shoes. Going to run with my wife tonight and give them the test. They look good anyhow and thats like 90% of it.

I do have a quick 2 tire questions though. My bike had some nice tires on it--Vittoria RubinoPro Intrepid and a Conni 4000 Grand Prix. But being  a dumba$$ like I am, how do i really tell when I need new ones?
Oh and big news, I changed a tire on Sunday night. I had NEVER EVER in my life changed a bike tire. When you are putting it back on, is there an easy way to the last bit of the tire on the rim? I had to really pry to get that last piece of the tire back on with the tire tool.

Most road tires don't have any tread so can't use that to gauge, I tend to get a new set every season, unless they are cut or obviously worn in spots.  And that is usally the case, the last part is the toughest but as long as you aren't pinching the tube at all (lol that sounds nasty) you can put some force into it.
2009-04-28 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2116120

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-04-28 12:57 PM
TrevorC - 2009-04-28 2:37 PM Yes I'm alive....I'm stimulating this econmy on my own is seems.  I like my new shoes. Going to run with my wife tonight and give them the test. They look good anyhow and thats like 90% of it.

Most road tires don't have any tread so can't use that to gauge, I tend to get a new set every season, unless they are cut or obviously worn in spots.  And that is usally the case, the last part is the toughest but as long as you aren't pinching the tube at all (lol that sounds nasty) you can put some force into it.

That was the part I was worried about. I though for sure i would be pinching the tube. Sounds like a new way of
saying "#2"

2009-04-28 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2116072

User image

Champion
BigReub - 2009-04-28 2:42 PM Holy smokes you all are busy!  I leave for the weekend and am out of town Monday and Today for work and have 11 pages to check out.  I peeked in a time or two so I knew I was way behind.

My half-marathon starts at 7:30am this Saturday. This my first race of any sort.

My problem is AM nutrition.  Every time I have tried a long run in the AM I have been absolutely miserable.  Dead at about 45-50 minutes.  I can keep going but pay for it for at least another day (sometimes two).  My tanks just seem to be really low in the morning.

I am focusing on diet and hydration this week.  But I need some tips on Saturday morning.  Should I try to eat something late Friday and get up super early Saturday to try to get more in me?

Any help is appreciated.  My only AM activity to this point has been golf which I can do on a Coke and a Snickers (and still shoot even par)!

Thanks, all.

Before a race I tend to eat some bread with Peanut butter before I leave and a power-bar when I get there.  For me that is enough to get me going and not too much where I need to make a pit-stop.  In the 1/2 I did I brought a gel that I took at 6.5 miles + brought my own accelerade that I drank a sip or 2 every 2 miles.

That was a totally made up by me nutrition scheme that worked, but I also trained all of my long runs with it so I knew it would work for me come race day.

If you haven't trained with it, it can be really dicey, you want enough energy, carbs, etc but you also don't want to make yourself sick.

I used to play golf until I had kids, made it to a 7 handicap, now I only get out to play maybe once or twice a year...
2009-04-28 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2116133

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-04-28 2:59 PM
dalessit - 2009-04-28 12:57 PM

That was the part I was worried about. I though for sure i would be pinching the tube. Sounds like a new way of
saying "#2"

Just make sure you put some air in the tube so it has form and ensure that it is pushed up in the tire before you start and you will be fine.
2009-04-28 2:04 PM

User image

Pro
BigReub - 2009-04-28 11:42 AM Holy smokes you all are busy!  I leave for the weekend and am out of town Monday and Today for work and have 11 pages to check out.  I peeked in a time or two so I knew I was way behind.

Thanks, all.

I will start off by saying don't start your morning w/ a coke and a snicker's before the race!  I would maybe try to get a little earlier tomorrow and eat (bagel w/ Peanut Butter, or a bannana), wait a while then go for a run.  Get your mind, and your body used to doing this.  Let also warn you by saying no matter what you are putting in your stomach on Saturday, it is going to taste dry, and crappy!  That is normal, but you must eat!!!

Remember you can be tired AFTER your race... Not before or during!  This is Reuben's time to shine. You can sleep when you get home!  2 weeks ago I would have told you to practice at your start time.  Get up 5:30 eat, and head out for a run around 7am... 4 days before??? A little tougher, but you'll get through it!
2009-04-28 2:10 PM
in reply to: #2115713

User image

Champion
marietta
soccermom15 - 2009-04-28 12:06 PM

I'm about 6 pages behind - I just cannot keep up with you guys.  I know a bunch of people had races over the weekend and from what I can tell, they seemed to go pretty well.  Congrats to everyone!  I did a 10k on Saturday and got a new PR!  Beat last year's time by almost 4 minutes. 

Now I'm concentrating (read: worrying) about my first tri this weekend.  The bike portion really scares me.  My gears are working much better since I took the bike in to be adjusted, but I'm still worried about how I'm going to do.  The course is a double loop so I'm hoping that once I finish the first loop, I'll be OK since I'll know what to expect the second time around Of course, that could also backfire on me - I may realize after the first loop that there's no way I can do it again.  My DH and I are going to drive over to Columbia on Saturday after he gets off work (he wasn't supposed to work that day which is adding to my stress) and hopefully we'll have time to drive the course so I'll have some idea of what I'll be dealing with on Sunday morning.  Looking at the elevation chart for the course is part of what's freaking me out although I know they're not always accurate - and 7.47 miles compressed down into 12 inches makes the hills look really bad!  I really think I'll feel better about it after seeing the actual course. 

Question for you all - I know most people don't usually taper for a sprint but since this is my first one, I want to make sure that I'm not too worn out on race day.  I was planning to swim Wed and Fri morning (short swims with one of them a TT so I know how to place myself on Sunday), a short run tonight and possibly Sat morning if I feel like I need to release some tensionSmile, and a bike ride Wed night (a little harder effort) and Friday night (just an easy ride).  How does that sound?  I know I run races better if I have a couple of rest days or easy days before the race so I figured this would probably be the same? 

Janet

Janet...You are going to rock that ride...and swim & run for that matter.  A car ride over the course is a great idea so you know what expect before the first loop.  If you don't know whats up before the first, its hard to conserve (expect) for the second.

My .02 that you probably already recognize but... from a quick review of the elevation profile...When you hit mile 6 on the first lap coming up 163 (S. Providence Rd.) you are going to be starting one of the "steepest" sections of the course with grades ranging from 2- 11%.  This isn't bad at all...as a gauge most highway overpasses are 6-8%, but do save some gas for that little hill when you kicks its a$$ again at the end of the second loop.  That run profile looks awesome! 

Where you are in serious trouble however is the fact that this is put on at the worst Big 12 school.  Now if this was at Texas A&M...you would be a lot better off.  Wink

Relax because you are gonna do GREAT!!!!!

2009-04-28 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2115843

User image

Expert
Missouri
tahrens - 2009-04-28 12:40 PM
soccermom15 - 2009-04-28 1:06 PM

I'm about 6 pages behind - I just cannot keep up with you guys.  I know a bunch of people had races over the weekend and from what I can tell, they seemed to go pretty well.  Congrats to everyone!  I did a 10k on Saturday and got a new PR!  Beat last year's time by almost 4 minutes. 

Now I'm concentrating (read: worrying) about my first tri this weekend.  The bike portion really scares me.  My gears are working much better since I took the bike in to be adjusted, but I'm still worried about how I'm going to do.  The course is a double loop so I'm hoping that once I finish the first loop, I'll be OK since I'll know what to expect the second time around.  Of course, that could also backfire on me - I may realize after the first loop that there's no way I can do it again.  My DH and I are going to drive over to Columbia on Saturday after he gets off work (he wasn't supposed to work that day which is adding to my stress) and hopefully we'll have time to drive the course so I'll have some idea of what I'll be dealing with on Sunday morning.  Looking at the elevation chart for the course is part of what's freaking me out although I know they're not always accurate - and 7.47 miles compressed down into 12 inches makes the hills look really bad!  I really think I'll feel better about it after seeing the actual course. 

Question for you all - I know most people don't usually taper for a sprint but since this is my first one, I want to make sure that I'm not too worn out on race day.  I was planning to swim Wed and Fri morning (short swims with one of them a TT so I know how to place myself on Sunday), a short run tonight and possibly Sat morning if I feel like I need to release some tensionSmile, and a bike ride Wed night (a little harder effort) and Friday night (just an easy ride).  How does that sound?  I know I run races better if I have a couple of rest days or easy days before the race so I figured this would probably be the same? 

Janet

I think that sounds fine if you are up to it.  I checked out the race web site and are they really letting you enter your swim times in this late?  Wow.  In that case, your TT swim probably a good idea.  With the bike being a double loop you will always see people on the course and I think that will help you mentally.  You won't feel isolated and it is easier to get caught up in the race hype this way.  And driving the course is a GREAT idea. I do that every chance I get and it really helps settle my nerves. 

They never asked for a swim time when I registered which I thought was a little odd.   Apparently they just ask everyone before the race starts about our expected time and line us up then.   I know I'm going to be towards the end which I kind of like - I can watch everyone else first and see how things work.  The 2 tri's I volunteered for I was out on the run course so I really have no idea what to expect for this swim except that it's in a pool and they start us off every 10-12 seconds. 

2009-04-28 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2116170

User image

Expert
Missouri
fattyfatfat - 2009-04-28 2:10 PM
My .02 that you probably already recognize but... from a quick review of the elevation profile...When you hit mile 6 on the first lap coming up 163 (S. Providence Rd.) you are going to be starting one of the "steepest" sections of the course with grades ranging from 2- 11%.  This isn't bad at all...as a gauge most highway overpasses are 6-8%, but do save some gas for that little hill when you kicks its a$$ again at the end of the second loop.  That run profile looks awesome! 

Where you are in serious trouble however is the fact that this is put on at the worst Big 12 school.  Now if this was at Texas A&M...you would be a lot better off.  Wink

Relax because you are gonna do GREAT!!!!!

That's the part of the ride that I was most concerned about - apparently it's nicknamed "the wall".  Not exactly a confidence builder for someone that doesn't bike well, lol!  I guess I can always push my bike if I have to (though I would obviously prefer not toSmile) - whatever it takes to cross that finish line!
2009-04-28 4:07 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

A little late, but Tracy, I am right there with everyone else ~ and say wait and see.  You may feel great the day of the race.  If you cancel and you do feel better, you will kick yourself.

Janet~  The race I just completed had the same profile.  I was like "Man, I don't think I have enough gears!"  Then I rode it - piece of cake.  Don't let it psych you out.

I get to start my 70.3 training early!!!  I start PT tomorrow!  Can't wait!  Yeah right.  I took it slow on the run part of my race this weekend due to Achilles Tendinitis.  Now is time to get it taken care of.  I went to the doc today and he set me up with some PT sessions.  The good thing is that the therapist is a triathlete and did her first HIM last year and is a big time runner.  As in qualified for Boston.  I now have a new best friend.  She just doesn't know it yet! 

2009-04-28 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2116023

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Redknight........I went for a run today in the rain and the first 12K were great. I decided to go a little further and my body just kind of blew out on me. My knees felt like they were just going to collapse and I had to walk a good portion of the last 3K I did. I also got a blister on my little toe.

Steve, want to jump in here? This sounds an awful lot like a pimple in the nose!!!!!!

Edited by tahrens 2009-04-28 4:19 PM
2009-04-28 5:37 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Thank you all for the inspires and encouraging words after my du!  I'm still on a high from it.  In fact, I've come to a conclusion - I need to run a 5k to see where I really fall at for time.  So after looking, I found a 5k this Friday that is only about 20 miles from my home.  It's an evening race and the course is relatively flat. 

Would it be dumb to do this now?  My next race isn't until May 16 and 17th.  You know, just to see where I'm at...  If I could break the 20 minute 5k.  I'm just sayin'
2009-04-28 5:41 PM
in reply to: #2116595

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2009-04-28 3:18 PM

Redknight........I went for a run today in the rain and the first 12K were great. I decided to go a little further and my body just kind of blew out on me. My knees felt like they were just going to collapse and I had to walk a good portion of the last 3K I did. I also got a blister on my little toe.

Steve, want to jump in here? This sounds an awful lot like a pimple in the nose!!!!!!

Agreed!!! Like an old hockey coach of mine said....."Its a long way from your heart" Suck it up!! Are you a princess or a Redknight? Oh Rob without you where would Tracy and I be?

2009-04-28 5:51 PM
in reply to: #2115847

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
HollyW - 2009-04-28 12:42 PM

Hey Gang, I got a question for ya.  If you are unable to go for a swim before your start on race morning what do you do to warm up for your swim?  It takes me a good 200 yards before I am feeling the least bit warmed up and am able to get my breathing under control. 

~Holly

You mean they won't let you get in the H20 to practice? Can you go outside of their buoy lines or another part of the lake?  That would freak me out too.  If it were me, I would probably go do it the day before so you at least have a feel for the water.
2009-04-28 5:58 PM

User image

Champion
BigReub - 2009-04-28 1:42 PM Holy smokes you all are busy!  I leave for the weekend and am out of town Monday and Today for work and have 11 pages to check out.  I peeked in a time or two so I knew I was way behind.

Thanks, all.

If I had a race at 7:30am, I would be up by 4:30am (always three hours before the gun for me).  I would drink coffee, 30 minutes later eat a 1/2 PBJ (light on the P,no fiber bread) and then another 1/2 30 minutes later.  I then do a whole lot of other stuff, but you could really go back to bed if you want to.  For a half, I usually take in about 70 calories (8oz Infinit) the first three miles and I am good to go on just H20 after that,  but dangerously close to depleting my glycogen stores.  I weigh 102lbs so if you weigh more than that, I would up the quantity. 

Honestly, it would have been best if you tested this strategy before the race, but given the short time I guess you will have to wing it!  Good luck.

Suzy

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-04-28 5:58 PM
2009-04-28 7:04 PM

User image

Pro
Rob I called my doctor to see what they suggested for your problem... Here is what I have... JUMP ON IT NOW!!

"Take the day off work and rest. You've done some serious damage to your feet. "

"Call your primary, explain, and they *might* relieve some of the fluid. If you do it on your own, you really risk getting an infection. The white blood cells are trying to create a happy place for your feet, dammit."

"Have more Sex"

"pop it with a needle then let it dry out if it keeps getting fluid in it then pop it again just let it dry out"

and

"Go to the pharmacy and get some "moleskin." Cut a piece twice the diameter of the blister and then cut a hole in the middle just a bit bigger than the blister. It should look like a donut.

Now put the moleskin on your foot with the blister in the "hole of the donut."

This will protect the blister from popping. Right now, the puss in the blister is preventing infection so you want to keep it there until it goes away by itself."

Good luck!  I am pulling for you!

Edited by swbkrun 2009-04-28 7:07 PM
2009-04-28 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2116919

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

swbkrun - 2009-04-28 8:04 PM Rob I called my doctor to see what they suggested for your problem... Here is what I have... JUMP ON IT NOW!!

"Take the day off work and rest. You've done some serious damage to your feet. "

"Call your primary, explain, and they *might* relieve some of the fluid. If you do it on your own, you really risk getting an infection. The white blood cells are trying to create a happy place for your feet, dammit."

"Have more Sex"

"pop it with a needle then let it dry out if it keeps getting fluid in it then pop it again just let it dry out"

and

"Go to the pharmacy and get some "moleskin." Cut a piece twice the diameter of the blister and then cut a hole in the middle just a bit bigger than the blister. It should look like a donut.

Now put the moleskin on your foot with the blister in the "hole of the donut."

This will protect the blister from popping. Right now, the puss in the blister is preventing infection so you want to keep it there until it goes away by itself."

Good luck!  I am pulling for you!

I'm going with the highlighted one. That should rest my foot.

2009-04-29 6:59 AM
in reply to: #2115843

User image

Champion

Tracy, in response to your post in my race report, yes I do own a cape, it came with my box set of the Greatest American Hero on DVD...

2009-04-29 7:01 AM
in reply to: #2116754

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
JHagerman - 2009-04-28 6:37 PM Thank you all for the inspires and encouraging words after my du!  I'm still on a high from it.  In fact, I've come to a conclusion - I need to run a 5k to see where I really fall at for time.  So after looking, I found a 5k this Friday that is only about 20 miles from my home.  It's an evening race and the course is relatively flat. 

Would it be dumb to do this now?  My next race isn't until May 16 and 17th.  You know, just to see where I'm at...  If I could break the 20 minute 5k.  I'm just sayin'

Why not?  I'd do it.  Give yourself a chance to break 20 min?  Heck yeah.  Can't wait to hear about it.
2009-04-29 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2117601

User image

Champion
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-04-29 7:01 AM
JHagerman - 2009-04-28 6:37 PM Thank you all for the inspires and encouraging words after my du!  I'm still on a high from it.  In fact, I've come to a conclusion - I need to run a 5k to see where I really fall at for time.  So after looking, I found a 5k this Friday that is only about 20 miles from my home.  It's an evening race and the course is relatively flat. 

Why not?  I'd do it.  Give yourself a chance to break 20 min?  Heck yeah.  Can't wait to hear about it.

I agree, DO IT!
2009-04-29 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2117853

User image

Expert
B'ham

SSMinnow - 2009-04-29 6:49 AM

I agree, DO IT!

I think this applies to both Jeremy and Rob's posts.

2009-04-29 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2118011

User image

Champion
cadmus - 2009-04-29 9:33 AM

SSMinnow - 2009-04-29 6:49 AM

I agree, DO IT!

I think this applies to both Jeremy and Rob's posts.

You are naughty!

Belly Laugh

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383