BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-06-22 6:13 AM
in reply to: #3434952

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room..

Just for fun I tried to un-velcro my bike shoes while still attached to the clips and pedal on top- you know like "experienced" athletes do?? NO, I didn't fall, thank you, but before I could get my foot out and back on top of the shoe, the silly thing flipped around and was dragging on the pavement! Not a sound I wish to hear from my expensive shoes!

So, if I wanted to entertain myself again, how do you get your foot out of the shoe, back on the pedal and keep it from flipping over?

Changed my profile pix, it is from this lst tri.  I've never seen a pix of myself on a bike, do I look like I should me more horizontal while on the aero bars?? -Happy training! -Karen

2011-06-22 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3561419

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
trigator01 - 2011-06-22 6:13 AM

Just for fun I tried to un-velcro my bike shoes while still attached to the clips and pedal on top- you know like "experienced" athletes do?? NO, I didn't fall, thank you, but before I could get my foot out and back on top of the shoe, the silly thing flipped around and was dragging on the pavement! Not a sound I wish to hear from my expensive shoes!

So, if I wanted to entertain myself again, how do you get your foot out of the shoe, back on the pedal and keep it from flipping over?

LOL, I really think we would need to see a video of this to properly advise youWink.   Like the new avatar!

Steve, welcome to the heat!  We've had a break in the 100+ stuff here, so only supposed to hit 95 today.

Dennis, thanks for mentioning the autopause on the Garmin.  I LIKE it!

Ken, how's the cramp recovery? 

Got out for a ride this morning (yay there is some green on the graph again).  Legs feel a lot better after raising my seat.  And funny...another cyclist I met on the road today told me (unsolicited) that it looked like my seat was too low (still), and a couple other things about my setup that looked off to him.  He appeared very fit and on a very nice TT type bike (I think), said he races mountian bikes but also trains on the road.  Who knows....but kinda makes me wonder.  Also dropped my chain for the first time today, and my front derailer appears to need some adjustment since I can't seem to shift from big ring to middle ring without dropping to small ring...or alltogether off.  Yeah, bike shop here I come.

Question: Would getting a cadence sensor and bike mount for my garmin (total of $48) be a good purchase?  Thinking it might eventually be good to get a trainer, but we can ride a large part of the year here outdoors, so probably will defer that one.     

2011-06-22 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3562062

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Carol, cramps all better.  Back to training.  Glad to hear that you are able to get back out there.  IMHO you should go to a LBS and get a bike fit.  Then ride with it a couple of times to see how it feels.  There are lots of shade tree advisers out there and you have to be really careful what advice you listen to. 

I am sure he was just trying to be helpful, but just be careful. 

I think a cadence sensor is a great thing. 

2011-06-22 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3562062

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
squirt - 2011-06-22 11:41 AMQuestion: Would getting a cadence sensor and bike mount for my garmin (total of $48) be a good purchase?  Thinking it might eventually be good to get a trainer, but we can ride a large part of the year here outdoors, so probably will defer that one.     

Definitely. The number one issue I here of with knee trouble and biking is grinding it out at too low of a cadence. My setup is like this. Garmin ANT+ speed/cadence sensor, my garmin watch on wrist, and Bontrager Node 1 cycle computer. I like this setup because both the watch and Bontrager can read the garmin sensor at once. It keeps me from mounting my garmin to my bike and is just more convenient.

Glad to see your back at it. I'm on a slow week currently due to external causes plus my left knee needs a little R&R also.
2011-06-22 4:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

Carol- even your blog "sounds" better...you have a spark in you that shines through when you feel well! Glad you are on the upswing. I can't help you on the cadence question, I donn't have one and was wondering if I should invest...Gosh the toys you can invest in with this sport!

Ken-Glad you are better too!

Dennis- You don't have a quick release for your Garmin?  I was thinking about getting one so I could get my transition times down, or do you think that woudn't make that much of a difference?

So I am being very bad today-haven't done a blessed thing, and won't as 5 o'clock hour has rolled around...just not into it at all today-glutes (or as Samantha would say flutes-sorry still think that one was funny!) are sore and so are my quads. I know Steve, an unscheduled day off from training! Unthinkable for you, and that is why you are eons beyond me. I think of it as a mental day off, do you all do that sometimes?? Honestly? And no, it doesn't happen often, for some reason I just needed it today.

Have the next race this weekend, but not to worried as it is really just a conquer the ocean swim race-won't really stress about the rest. -Karen

2011-06-22 4:18 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Ok so the whole bike mounting thing is really for folks who are a lot faster than any of us here, I include myself in that US.  If you want to play with it you use a rubber band to keep your pedals horizontal for mounting (shoes already clipped into the pedals).  When getting ready to dismount you have your right foot at the top of your pedal stroke unvelcro and then roll the shoe over so you can put your foot on top of it, take a few strokes and then do the same for the left foot.  That way the shoe can dangle without catching on the ground and making you crash.  It works similar to clipping in. The pedal is flopped and you roll your toe into the clip and then press down to lock.  If you are unvelcroed and the shoe drops as you take your foot out, you then roll the shoe back up to horizontial (but it has to be up top or it catches on the ground and makes bad things happen).

I would personally be against hooking my garmin up to my bike.  You can get a bike computer that has a cadence monitor on it for less than the conversion.  Remember your garmin battery is good for only 6 hours give or take while your bike computer is battery is good for 9000 miles or so and my well cost less than the conversion.  If you mount the tire sensor on the back tire you can use it on a trainer and get both speed and cadence information easily.  Where I ride there are lots of bumps, I would hate to have my garmin eject like a waterbottle ping $300+ gone.  If you have too much money a power tap is definately the way to go....

Some people wear compression during the run... not really any evidence I know of that it helps any there.  After the run it reduces swelling caused by long runs.  You can use compression or ice baths to achieve the desired reduction in inflamation, but ice baths kind of suck.  You all should take one at some point .... It dosen't really have to be ice, just water below 50F and you sit in it for 15 min + until everything down there goes numb.  Then take a hot shower to avoid hypothermia and wrap up with a warm blanket for a bit.  I only did ice baths on runs longer than 15 miles, but will use compression after 12 miles or more. 

I did end up skipping 3 workouts last week... which means only 1 workout a day for those 3 days... because I was carying too much fatigue.   I have taken an entire day off to help with really high fatigue and have had a rest day in my workouts before.  This year I am unable to work any intensity due to marginal muscle groups and am using lower intensity more days to try to compensate.  If my IM is sub 12:15:00 then it worked, if not... oh well there is always next year.  The really neat thing about doing triathlons is you get to celebrate getting older when it puts you in a new age bracket 8). 

90s again today, and I got to swim in a real pool to check my times... . 2:03 pace /100 for 2500 yards continuous give or take.  Slightly different feel than the current pool, but pace is almost exactly the same.  In the real pool you actually have to focus on pace though. 

Agree with getting a professional bike fit.  When you buy a new bike, the cables and such get stretched a bit and around 300 miles of use results in the chain coming off when you shift and you falling on your head... well that is what happened to me anyway, going up a hill downshift the chain right off the end and then bam.  Your LBS will just tighten up the cable or the screws so it shifts properly again.  For them this is like a 5 minute adjustment, 2 minutes if they are good. 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-06-22 4:28 PM

2011-06-22 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ
Had my usual swim class tonight - ended up with about 1200m and I was beat!  I have started to realized that it takes me a good portion of the swim class to really warm up and feel good in the water - usually the first 500m are grueling and I'm arguing with myself because I just want to call it quits, I'm cranky and whiney about the distances posted.  Then about half way through class, it starts to feel good, I'm able to swim longer without gasping and I can concentrate on different nuances in my form.  Now, I'm worried about race day - my distance is 500m - I'm thinking that I'll be cursing at myself and cranky for the whole swim and then have to move on!  Any advice on race day pre-swim warm ups that I can practice?
2011-06-22 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ
Karen- like the new pic.  Isn't this your "recovery" week?
2011-06-22 10:18 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

I have been allowed to do preswim warmups before just about every triathlon.  It is especially good if the water is icy cold. 

Blah went for my 7 mile run today in 87+ temps and felt like crap for the first 2 miles, was thinking of cutting the run short, but then fell into a rythm and finished it off.  Yay only 12 more days to be heat acclimated.  I also got my backside toasted swimming today during lunch.  I couldn't reach the middle of my back with sunscrean.  My wife said I should have someone put suntan lotion on my back... I asked her if she wanted me to ask the secretary or if she prefered I ask the blond lifeguard.... I didn't think either would be a good idea.  I may use my old tri top on Friday for some sunscreen on my backside.  I guess the good news is that my butt wasn't way under water for the swim 8). 

My recovery week is 37 miles run, 170 miles biked and 7500 yards swim.  Then on to the final 3 week build.....

Edited by Baowolf 2011-06-22 10:20 PM
2011-06-23 12:37 AM

User image

Colorado

Karen--2nd in your age group is always impressive, unless there's only 2 in your age group, LOL!  That's three people you finished faster than, which definitely counts.  Also,, which tri backpack do you have?

Ken--nice tri!  I'd take all of those times, personally. 

Carol--yay for meeting the weight goal.  On the Garmin cadence sensor:  I've just been using the foot pod on my shoe that I usually use for running.  I'm not sure if it's quite as accurate, but it gives me a good idea.  If you do more biking than running, I'd get the biking one, for sure.  I have the quick-release mount too and then I velcro my strap around it for extra security (I have my RoadID strap running through my Garmin, so when I mount it to the bike it still has the extra strap.  It makes it harder to mount, unfortunately, but that's a different issue.).  For the actual tri, I plan to keep it on my wrist so I don't have to move it for the run.  It's nice to have it on the handlebar so I can see it easily on long rides, but not all that necessary.

Steve--get spray sunscreen.  It works wonders for all the spots you can't reach. 

We're keeping busy here.  My oldest is in VBS day camp this week from 9-3 so I've been trying to take advantage of the time to get some nice runs and rides in.  Today was 20 miles pulling J in the trailer.  We stopped for a picnic lunch on the way back, which is less relaxing when it sounds when your lunch companion has a habit of pulling half-chewed food out of her mouth (ewww!) and handing it to you, and getting up, walking away, and laughing when you tell her to come sit down.  Laughing It was a nice ride though, starting in the part of town with small houses and one-car garages, and ending up on the west side where the houses are mansions and probably worth a million or more.  After that the trail heads sharply uphill to a lake and a reservoir.  It's a trail I've wanted to do for a long time, but I always feel guilty about driving some place--not to mention that it's a holy pita to pack up everything just to go somewhere.  I can ride to it, but I don't like to do it with the trailer because the route involves a narrow two-lane road and a steep hill (read:  limited sight distance) and no sidewalks, so it doesn't feel safe with the kid(s) along.

This evening I managed 1000 in the pool.  It was another day where everything clicked.  That was true after my last long ride too.  Go figure.  The best news was that I finished 525m in under 17 minutes.  I know that's super-slow for most everyone here, but it's the estimated time I gave the tri people when I registered and I've been terrified that I'd be much slower than that.  Who knows?  Maybe after another week, I'll be able to email them with a faster estimated time.  We'll see how the swims on Friday and Monday go.

2011-06-23 7:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Lisa, you take multitasking to an all new level.  I am tired just thinking about all the things you are juggling at once.  My hats off to you. 

I am taking a much needed day off today.  I was supposed to do yoga and just can not bring myself to doing it (well not right now anyway.  I will probably feel guilt later and do it). 

2011-06-23 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
I don't use my Garmin during triathlons, just my bike computer and times ironman watch. My Garmin isn't swim proof and I don't have time to dealnwith it in T1.

I had to sleep in an ICU waiting room last night so at 5 I got up, put on my running clothes I had packed and knocked out a great 10 mile run in unfamiliar territory. No pains from anywhere. Felt like I could run another 5 when I stopped. Perfect.I hope to get a bike ride in tomorrow morning.

As far as running mounts, I watched some pros do it at MiM, only 30% did it well enough to gain an advantage, 50% should've just taken it easy clipping in, and the other 20% almost crashed during the mount. There was one female pro that ran out of transition with the clanking sound of cleats on concrete, mounted her bike one foot at a time, past 2 pros ahead of her doing a running mount.

Edited by dhwebb 2011-06-23 8:20 AM
2011-06-23 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey there tri peeps!

Ken - enjoy your rest day.  Glad you have recovered from the cramp!

Dennis - way to get in a workout under challenging circumstances.  Hope all is well with you and your loved one.  How is the knee pain? 

Karen - I think that is called a mental health day, good for you!  Yes, toys are good .  I have a feeling your relaxed attitude about the race this weekend will yield a good swim.

Steve - so are you going to be old people next year like me (45-49)?  Nice that you could get a pool swim in.  Your lack of support/facilities makes me appreciate the opportunities we have here in the big city.

Ceril - I can't remember, is your race in a pool or lake?  Either way, there has been a chance to warmup in each tri I've done so far.  If a pool, the warmup may be long before you get to start your race.

Lisa - nice workouts for you, and the clicking is good!

Thanks for the well wishes on feeling better, and input on the cadence sensor and bike setup.  I had a fit done right after I got my bike, but was so new to things that when asked how something felt, I had absolutely no clue.  The folks at the shop I go to are great, so I have no doubt they will help me dial it in.  In fact, going to take it in today....maybe leave it there 'till Saturday morning to see if it will keep me from chickening out on a group ride that leaves from there.  Reason I'm thinking about the garmin thing is that my 305 battery died a couple of weeks ago.  I can either have that replaced (with a refurbed unit 90 day warranty) for $80 + shipping, or I can get a new 305 for $130 and free shipping (1 yr warranty).  Probably going for the latter, and can throw in a cadence sensor for $34 and bike mount for $13.  I've been using my hubby's garmin since mine died, and would be happy to "steal" it and not spend the $$'s, but he thinks he still might use it and wants me to get my own.

OK, so who is racing this weekend?  Karen I know....but remind us who else so we can root for you.

2011-06-23 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3563642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
squirt - 2011-06-23 10:38 AMHow is the knee pain?

What's that? Haven't felt it in a couple days.
2011-06-23 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

Steve and the rest, thanks for the info on the shoe mount etc. I don't want to try the shoe clipped in before the mount, not with my tendencies to fall! But I really thought I should give it a try on the dismount...perhaps I'll wait.

Steve- When again is your race?

Ceril-No I am not taking a recovery week, I feel with the sprints, I don't really need to recover- just keep going but at a tad slower pace.  Plus I have another race this weekend. Good job on reaching your goal in your swim and for going longer! For my first I was only training the distance of the tri-880 yd, not an inch more.  I really think that hurt me in the race as I really struggled.   So ever since that I've done as Steve suggested and swim much further. I am actually following an OLY plan even though I am still doing sprints.  I just want the extra endurance to be there especially for the OWS. For pre-swim in my first tri they did not allow you to even touch the water before.  My second, you could get in and swim for a short distance.  I didn't bother because the water temps was warm, so I did sattic stretching on land.  Good enough for me.

Ken-Gee I am glad to know I am not the only one who has taken a guilt laden day off. Seems like you needed it just like I felt I did.

Everyone- If you aren't doing Yoga, you should start! I never did before, and now this summer have been going twice a week to a class.  The instructor is a triathlete-go figure- and does stretches that really get the mucsles we are all useing.  Love it!

Dennis-With the Iron Man watch, does it tell you your pace while running? That is really the only reason I use my Garmin in the races, but if I could get the same info in the Iron Man watch AND swim in it-all the better. I've been putting the Garmin on in T1 to bike mode, and have the display on the onderside of my wrist, then twist it up in T2 and switch it to running mode. A lot of extra steps I'd like to dismiss.

Lisa- You're doing great on your swim as well. Congrats! I can only imagine how you will fly once you lose the stroller!! The transition back pack I got was a Garneau.  I really like it.  Big inside compartment with two side inner compartments.  Two zipper outside compartments like for water bottles.  A seperate under air mash compartment for wet suit, Top outside compartment for keys. Only paid $65 at LBS, but I've seen them online for about the same. Oh, an it matches my bike which we all know is necessary! lol

Yoga, P90X abs, 2200 y swim then 20 mile bike. At least that is the plan for today. -Karen

2011-06-23 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3562952

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington

CKslowpoke - 2011-06-22 8:17 PM  I have started to realized that it takes me a good portion of the swim class to really warm up and feel good in the water - usually the first 500m are grueling and I'm arguing with myself because I just want to call it quits, I'm cranky and whiney about the distances posted.  Then about half way through class, it starts to feel good, I'm able to swim longer without gasping and I can concentrate on different nuances in my form.

I am the exact same way during my swims, it normally takes me about 250-500 to get going and then the rest of the laps no matter how long really start to feel like nothing.  I find what really gets me relaxed is using the pull buoy for about 10 laps then I can go forever without it.  I have only done one tri and I warmed up for about 5 minutes before hand,  I think it would have been better if I had at least 10.

Baowolf - 2011-06-22 10:18 PM

My recovery week is 37 miles run, 170 miles biked and 7500 yards swim.  Then on to the final 3 week build.....

The fact that that is your recovery week is hilarious to me Steve... Keep up the good work!  I hope to be there someday.

Well I have been slacking a bit recently, school is really getting at my time and its been raining on and off for the past 2 weeks straight.  Finals are next wednesday though so... awesome!  I decided to forgo my sprint this weekend in favor of actually passing my classes and I will put my full effort toward my olympic on August 27th!  Good to see everyone is doing well in their training, weight-loss and races.

Good luck this weekend Karen!

Marcus

2011-06-23 9:13 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

My race is the end of July.  So this is a rest week and then 3 weeks of solid building and then 3 weeks of taper then race.  In IM training this last build is really the hardest.  Getting up for a 7 to 8 hour bike ride with a 17 to 20 mile run the next day carying fatigue just requires a certain amount of mental toughness.  The opposite side of it is that your muscles are so worked that if you do too much intensity you have a decent risk of blowing a muscle even if you have a really solid base.  A number of folks I know have hit that  last long run hard or done some TT on the bike or some 400 repeats and blown a calf or hami 4 weeks before race day.  So lots of ways to do things wrong in that last 4-6 weeks to fry 6 to 12 months of training. 

I continue to be impressed with everyone's progress.  Once you can swim 1000 yards, even badly, you are well on your way to being a functional swimmer in races.  The swim portion rarely costs you more than 5 to 15 minutes.  The bike costs you 15 min to 2 hours and the run can cost you 3 hours in an IM.... if you end up walking.  Usually you can make up the most time for your effort on the bike unless you are walking on the run in which case you need to work the run. 

I always like to go into an event with a little more endurance than is the "bare minimum" because it sucks to be out of gas far from the finish line. 

2011-06-23 11:08 PM

User image

Colorado

So let's talk rest days again.  One of the signs that someone needs a rest day is being cranky, right?  The problem I'm having is that I'm not sure what's causing the cranky.  It could be:

a.  It's nearing dinner time, J hasn't napped for the billionth day in a row, I'm fighting my oldest about practicing violin, and I have low blood sugar because I'm hungry and haven't had time to grab a snack (see:  children)

b.  I'm not sleeping enough (no question there) because my youngest has been a nightmare to put to bed for the last month.  (The end is in sight, I think, as her last molar is *almost* through and then we might return to a better sleeping pattern. She used to go to sleep without a problem, but these molars have been awful.)

c.  My 4/3/3 exercise pattern combined with going to the mountains every weekend (and thus squeezing the swim and bike workouts M-F, plus laundry, errands, etc) is sucking the life out of me and I need a rest day.  I really don't want to cut my running mileage untll after the 1/2 though, and my swimming definitely needs it, especially because I'll probably only get one swim in during the July Fourth week.  If necessary, I could cut a biking day but that's all I have to give.

My guess is that the issue is mostly A because the crankiness is mostly around dinner time and also from 9-10 pm when I want my youngest to just go to sleep already, and also a little bit of B. 

2011-06-24 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3565087

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
realrellim - 2011-06-24 12:08 PM

So let's talk rest days again.  One of the signs that someone needs a rest day is being cranky, right?  The problem I'm having is that I'm not sure what's causing the cranky.  It could be:

a.  It's nearing dinner time, J hasn't napped for the billionth day in a row, I'm fighting my oldest about practicing violin, and I have low blood sugar because I'm hungry and haven't had time to grab a snack (see:  children)

b.  I'm not sleeping enough (no question there) because my youngest has been a nightmare to put to bed for the last month.  (The end is in sight, I think, as her last molar is *almost* through and then we might return to a better sleeping pattern. She used to go to sleep without a problem, but these molars have been awful.)

c.  My 4/3/3 exercise pattern combined with going to the mountains every weekend (and thus squeezing the swim and bike workouts M-F, plus laundry, errands, etc) is sucking the life out of me and I need a rest day.  I really don't want to cut my running mileage untll after the 1/2 though, and my swimming definitely needs it, especially because I'll probably only get one swim in during the July Fourth week.  If necessary, I could cut a biking day but that's all I have to give.

My guess is that the issue is mostly A because the crankiness is mostly around dinner time and also from 9-10 pm when I want my youngest to just go to sleep already, and also a little bit of B. 

D. ALL OF THE ABOVE!! You have a crazy life, and are greatly respected by us! Do what you can, rest when you need.  When is your race? What race is it? -Karen

2011-06-24 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

Rest day for me today-race tomorrow. I sure hope the ocean is more friendly to me. Yesterday I did the yoga class, P90X abs, swam 2200 in 50 min, biked 20 miles horrible head wind coming back as a storm was approaching- can you say bike faster?? Didn't do the "run a few miles off the bike thing" as I was toast. So I feel "better" about skipping working out on Wednesday.

Steve-I didn't know the extent of what could happen, I think I would just cry if I 'blew" a calf muscle just weeks before an IM. Sending healthy thoughts your way! -Karen

2011-06-24 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3565360

User image

Colorado

trigator01 - 2011-06-24 7:41 AM When is your race? What race is it?

The first one is the Middle Park Half Marathon on July 9 in Granby, CO.  My tri is July 23rd, and it's the Lookout Mountain Sprint Tri in Golden, CO. 

Edited by realrellim 2011-06-24 11:11 AM

2011-06-24 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Happy Friday, and good luck to Karen this weekend!

Dennis, glad to hear the knee pain is in the past.

Marcus, the ups and downs of the school schedule are a challenge, but sounds like you're rolling with it.

Lisa, all I can offer you is sympathy on juggling being a mom with training.  I think it's awesome is how you integrate kids, errands, and training.

Steve, you need to tell us a bit more about your race.  Where? Have you done this one before?

OK, I'm going on a group ride tomorrow morning.  There, I said it!  My bike is at the shop anyway, and the ride leaves from there.  Looks like my friend will be joining me, so at least I'll know someone.  

2011-06-24 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Carol,  I am going on a group ride tomorrow as well.  It will be my first ride with this group.  Should be fun.  They are getting started at 5:45AM.  on Saturday Morning.  Crazy. 

Good Luck Karen on your race this weekend.  I am sure that you will have a great time. 

2011-06-24 2:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ
Lisa - all of the above!! I think I may make a sign for my wall "If Lisa can do it - so can you!" Seriously, are you wonderwoman? I would be suffering major burn out from the mental stress of juggling all - But for me it all comes back to sleep. If I keep adding sleep deprivation day after day without break - everything else just implodes. And if I'm really run down then I get sick on top of it all - so definitely take that rest!!!

Karen - great job on the last race and good luck on this weekend. I nearly signed up last minute for one this weekend (a small, women only short sprint) but decided I should try to make it to my son's last soccer game of the season

Had my nurse re-eval at the gym and it was interesting to see the numbers - 6 months ago I started at the gym and was borderline hypertensive with 15 yrs of couch potato inactivity. My baseline body fat was 43% (yikes!!) I started to get serious about exercise around valentines day - so a little over 4 months now. Yesterday my body fat measurement was 31% and my blood pressure was normal. I've only lost 10 lbs but gained about 20 in lean muscle. My goal is to get down under 25% body fat - I need to look again at nutrition aka DIET! I'm excited to keep working at it!

Thanks for all the OWS advice. Carol my race is a lake swim. We're vacationing in Vermont 4th of July on lake Champlain - really hoping to get some real workouts in. Cannot wait for vacation!
2011-06-24 7:45 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Awsome reduction in bodyfat and muscle build as well as lowering the bp.  Isn't doing triathlons more fun than paying $100 a week for pills that have side effects?  I see a lot of folks have their bp drop into normal range, cholesterol even out and borderline diabetes normalize with triathlon training.  There is probably a lot of heart disease that gets helped by training as well that goes below the radar and just gets better along the way. 

I haven't done any workouts yet.  But I changed the oil in the pool engine and lubricated the drive shaft... harder than it might sound as it is all in a itty bitty pit (smaller than recommended because of the existing structure.  The construction guys I think forgot that I had to lube both sides of the drive shaft... so I got my yoga out of the way and had flashbacks to the beginning of the moving Ladyhawk.  My race is near Santa Rosa.  I have done 2 IM's one was this race in 2009, the other CDA in 2010.  Remember I didn't start training until I got off the couch 9/07.  So the race starts with a swim in a river with neglitable current that may or may not be wetsuit legal and has wave starts (unusualy for an IM distance race).  The bike is on a not so good quality road through wine country with endless rolling hills and one big hill at miles 50 ish and 100 ish for a total of 4000 feet elevation gain.  The wind will kick up for the 2nd lap and the temp should hit around 90 to 95F by the time I am off the bike.  The run is 3 laps with 1 smaller hill and 1 bigger hill, temps should be 95 to 100 F if history holds.  The first 6 miles of the run are fine, by the time you get to mile 10 it feels like mile 20 of a regular marathon, from mile 14 to 20 the temptation to walk is overwhelming and you are down to convincing yourself to just make it to one more water station.  When I get to mile 20 I know I can make it the rest of the way pending muscle injury and start gradually increasing my pace every mile from there on with a z4 effort that really isn't faster than the first 6 miles but feels really fast due to the effort it takes to pick up the pace for the last 6 miles.  Usually side cramps are kicking in around mile 20 because I drank a little too much water trying to keep cool and I need to up my calorie intake as I have used up literally everything in my reserves.  The last 4 miles is a crap shoot, is the side pain enough to skip water and calories, just water or both and suck it up and get it done.  Once I cross the finish line I am spent.  Walking is slow and painful, I usually have to sit for 5 to 10 minutes and down 40 to 60 oz of fluids before I can start walking around a little easier.  I will grab something to eat, but won't really be hungry after having consumed 3000 + calories on the course.  I will need to be in dry clothes within 15 to 30 minutes depending on the temperature as my body temperature will drop and I will start shivering if still in sweat soaked clothes.  Once I get in dry clothes and in the car my body temp will stabalize over the next 15 minutes.  Then it is time to just sip fluids snack here and there and get to bed early.  I hope that my wife will give me a massage, but she won't.  She will give me a smile and a hug when I cross the finish line and it will mean a lot. 

The last half mile of the swim. the last 12 miles of the bike and miles 14 to 20 on the run are really hard places in the race.  But as they say if it were easy it wouldn't be called an ironman.  

The easiest way for me to tell that I need to cut back on workouts is when my run dropps off significantly.  If my typical steady run pace is 8:30 and my range is 7:45 to 8:15 when well rested and I run say a 7 mile run at 9:30 to 10:30.... it is time for a rest day.  For me the heat is currently impacting my workouts making it harder to tell what my fatigue level is, but after the first 20 mintues I am able to settle in and get my rythm.  Not wanting to start your workout, putting it off, geting cranky, wanting to take a nap, all signs of fatigue indicating a rest day may be in order.  But nto if this is every day 8). 

So I just cleaned my bike chain and washed the spring cow dung off my bike (lovely) so it is time for a ride.  My tires are marginal but I don't want to start using my new tires for 2 weeks.  I may throw them on for tomorrow, tired of having my hands be gooky from greece, oil, and stuff.  I'll check back in in a bit.  Don't feel bad if you need to take a day, it won't crash your training.  If you can, keep your longest swim, run and bike for the week and drop one of the shorter workouts.  Time to bike into a 20 mph wind. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  

of 61