General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2012-09-16 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4413046

Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread

atlTri4Food - 2012-09-15 8:59 PM 103 miles today with a 3 mile brick. I practiced my Ironman pace and left some in the tank for the run for once. Today was the one of those confidence builders where i believe i will actually finish this thing. Hope everybodys training is going good.

Nice!!!!

2012-09-17 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3589984

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
So I just came back from a training camp put on by Endurance Concepts for IMFL. Basically did the whole course and then some. I'll give more details later, but the readers digest condensed version is this.

Swim: nothing new if you have done ocean swims. The sun will be right in your eyes race morning, so wear tinted or polarized glasses. Sight off the Boardwalk tower.

Bike: The flatness of the course makes for some good speeds, but can be problematic in terms of stiffness and specific muscle group soreness. Make sure to get up out of aero every now and then to stretch. Headwinds on the way out, tailwinds coming back in so expect a negative split. I averaged at 20.5 mph keeping power at 70% ftp, so you can get a nice split on the bike without too much effort. That comes at a price though: the ride is horrifically boring.

Run: zero shade, so prepare for that. The speed bumps throughout the neighborhood are the biggest hills you will see, so dont trip over them and pick up your knees. The state park at the turnaround is neat, but a deadland, at least on the beach there are nice houses and the ocean to look at.

If you have any questions pertaining to the course and what you might be able to expect, please feel free to ask!
2012-09-17 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4414218

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Headwinds on the way out, tailwinds coming back in so expect a negative split.

I will also point out that 79 specifically is a false flat...uphill on the way out and downhill on the way back.  So DO NOT freak out if your average speed early on is a bit low.

2012-09-17 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4414218

User image

Master
Charlotte

15step - 2012-09-17 9:30 AM  That comes at a price though: the ride is horrifically boring.

Curious to everyone who always says this ride is boring.  Where do you guys ride? 

Every ride I do is horrifically boring here in Charlotte.  The most excitement I get is when I am start to go crazy about 4 hours in and start talking to the cows and horses (and they talk back to me). 

2012-09-17 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4415065

I feel exactly the same.

Also, I am usually so concentrated on Heart Rate, avg Speed, Cadence, Nutrition...that I just miss everything around. One time after getting to the top somebody told me that by the dam he was very tired...I asked what dam?? On the way down then I realized we passed a HUGE dam, and I did not even notice...so a lack of beauty landscapes at IMFL won't hurt me, and I better get ready for the things that will affect.

Anyway, 15step thanks for the info. One question: how was the pave condition? What about that out and back section on 388?

Thanks a lot. 

bgraboski - 2012-09-17 2:16 PM

15step - 2012-09-17 9:30 AM  That comes at a price though: the ride is horrifically boring.

Curious to everyone who always says this ride is boring.  Where do you guys ride? 

Every ride I do is horrifically boring here in Charlotte.  The most excitement I get is when I am start to go crazy about 4 hours in and start talking to the cows and horses (and they talk back to me). 

2012-09-17 3:02 PM

Forget boring. Just focus on getting it done. Ride, focus on nutrition and effort (pace, hr, power, whatever) and get it done. Be happy that we're there and able to be doing what we're doing.

2012-09-17 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4415101

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
imiranda - 2012-09-17 3:29 PM

Anyway, 15step thanks for the info. One question: how was the pave condition? What about that out and back section on 388?

Honestly, it is not as bad as everyone says it is (IMO). Yes, it gets annoying after a while, but you can stay aero and keep your speed through that section. Hug the white line, or stay on top of it if possible, and it will minimize the bumps. Also, keep in mind that it is the halfway point, so once you leave that section, its smooth sailing, a bit of a mental pick me up.

2012-09-17 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4415184

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
branan1 - 2012-09-17 4:02 PM

Forget boring. Just focus on getting it done. Ride, focus on nutrition and effort (pace, hr, power, whatever) and get it done. Be happy that we're there and able to be doing what we're doing.

While I agree with you, its pretty difficult to stay focused on your numbers 100% of the time on the bike. You are going to want to look up and around for a bit, and when it is flat and nothing but pine forests, it can get dull.

Typically, I ride in nice hills/rollers and horse farms, so I have some variance in the roads and stuff to look at. Quite the opposite in FL. On the other hand, it will be race day, so paying attention to the riders around you should be a good mental distraction from the monotony.
2012-09-17 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
I did want to make 2 safety notes on the bike as well

- At turns, please watch the road in front of you. Because of the beach, sand will typically be on the road. Hit that at the wrong angle and you will go down. I don't know if they clean the curves before the race, but its something to keep in mind.

- I do not think that all of the roads will be closed to traffic. While there is a large shoulder, the main highways are 65mph for cars, so just be careful for traffic. I actually got hit by a car this past weekend about a mile from the finish on Front Beach rd (cut me off and I hit his passenger door, went over the hood). I am fine, but lucky, so keep an eye for cars.
2012-09-17 3:47 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I am not inthis for the scenery quite frankly and its no less boring than anywhere else I ride in FL

can I just shar that I am going to frigging kill my parents?  I booked a condo at Boardwalk beach LAST YEAR forthe race.  THEY also had a condo but said oh no we want to do the RV thing next year...mmmmK.  YESTERDAY they decided they do no want to RV and want to stay at boardwalk...which is completely booked......AND they are bringing their friends and even tho I have a room with 2 double beds in it in my condo they want their own rooms and dont' want to share.  I have spenthours nad hours looking for something for them and hundreds of emails and I am going mad.  Apperently Sunbird is nearly all one bedrooms.  My parents AND their friends are in their 70s so they don't walk well any more and need something close.  I am thinking I will take a remote unit and stick them in boardwalk but I am supremely annoyed!

2012-09-17 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4415221

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

- I do not think that all of the roads will be closed to traffic. While there is a large shoulder, the main highways are 65mph for cars, so just be careful for traffic. I actually got hit by a car this past weekend about a mile from the finish on Front Beach rd (cut me off and I hit his passenger door, went over the hood). I am fine, but lucky, so keep an eye for cars.

They are not all closed.  79 and 20 are not closed for SURE.  Drove me BATTY in 2010 that there was a HUGE shoulder to ride in and people were ignoring it and instead choosing to ride in the car lane...(aka BLOCKING!).

If you pre-ride the course I highly recommend using the bike path on 79.  It's fairly straight with only a few minor curves.  It goes all the way to the overpass and starts somewhere just north of 98.

I believe 77 is pretty much closed.  I know they block the northbound traffic due to all the bikes making the left turn onto 388.  388 seemed to be local traffic only...probably not officially "closed" but I don't remember seeing cars on it.

Front Beach will be dead on your way out...but depending on how slow you are there will be cars when you come back.  I think parts of it are blocked off...I remember there being police directing traffic.  Front beach on any other summer weekend without police support is very dangerous...be careful!

2012-09-17 4:59 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

For me on race day there are lots of pretty bicycles passing me for scenery.

And I don't have to worry about no shade on the run.  It's usually pretty dark for at least 1/2 the run.  :-)

2012-09-17 8:35 PM
in reply to: #4415311

User image

Champion
marietta
Socks - 2012-09-17 4:47 PM

I am not inthis for the scenery quite frankly and its no less boring than anywhere else I ride in FL

can I just shar that I am going to frigging kill my parents?  I booked a condo at Boardwalk beach LAST YEAR forthe race.  THEY also had a condo but said oh no we want to do the RV thing next year...mmmmK.  YESTERDAY they decided they do no want to RV and want to stay at boardwalk...which is completely booked......AND they are bringing their friends and even tho I have a room with 2 double beds in it in my condo they want their own rooms and dont' want to share.  I have spenthours nad hours looking for something for them and hundreds of emails and I am going mad.  Apperently Sunbird is nearly all one bedrooms.  My parents AND their friends are in their 70s so they don't walk well any more and need something close.  I am thinking I will take a remote unit and stick them in boardwalk but I am supremely annoyed!

aR you wAtchingMNF and CRUSHINGBEER, like IAM!!!?  becAuse iam having DIFFicult time readingyour post. 

but as others have said and as i did last year, just check shores on vrbo.  we got a nice 3 bed condo at the last minute. 

and please don't kill your parents.  they love you.

2012-09-17 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4415221

Extreme Veteran

15step - 2012-09-17 3:13 PM I did want to make 2 safety notes on the bike as well - At turns, please watch the road in front of you. Because of the beach, sand will typically be on the road. Hit that at the wrong angle and you will go down. I don't know if they clean the curves before the race, but its something to keep in mind. - I do not think that all of the roads will be closed to traffic. While there is a large shoulder, the main highways are 65mph for cars, so just be careful for traffic. I actually got hit by a car this past weekend about a mile from the finish on Front Beach rd (cut me off and I hit his passenger door, went over the hood). I am fine, but lucky, so keep an eye for cars.

Great advice, thanks for the warning and glad to hear you're ok!

2012-09-18 4:46 AM
in reply to: #4415736

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
fattyfatfat - 2012-09-17 8:35 PM

aR you wAtchingMNF and CRUSHINGBEER, like IAM!!!?  becAuse iam having DIFFicult time readingyour post. 

but as others have said and as i did last year, just check shores on vrbo.  we got a nice 3 bed condo at the last minute. 

No beer.  I am a lousy typist on a good day and I rountinely use as many as 5 diffferent sized keyboards on any one day.  Makes it even worse Its part of my charm you need to learn to live with it.  I spent about 20 hours on VRBO and any other site I could find trying to find soemthing on S. Thomas drive.  After a few false leads I got anemail bakc late yseterday for a unit in Boardwalk which I booked.  I'm very fortunate to have found it. 

2012-09-18 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Wilmington
Surely the Warf Tower was not Full. That Hotel is Massive and only 5 min walk from T1 and  finish

2012-09-18 7:49 AM
in reply to: #4415957

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Socks - 2012-09-18 4:46 AM

No beer.  I am a lousy typist on a good day and I rountinely use as many as 5 diffferent sized keyboards on any one day.  Makes it even worse Its part of my charm you need to learn to live with it.  I spent about 20 hours on VRBO and any other site I could find trying to find soemthing on S. Thomas drive.  After a few false leads I got anemail bakc late yseterday for a unit in Boardwalk which I booked.  I'm very fortunate to have found it. 

If you think her typing is bad you should see her handwriting. :D

Glad you found a place, Sue!

2012-09-18 8:01 AM
in reply to: #4416103

User image

Champion
marietta
jldicarlo - 2012-09-18 8:49 AM

i tee'd up a doc joke.  but i missed.    glad you found a place too, sue. 

2012-09-18 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Found plenty at the Shores of Panama.  It's beach front, right next to Pineapple Willy's. Less than half mile walk from start\finish line.

For those that are still looking, click here.  Check in Nov1. Check out Nov4.

2012-09-18 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4415184

User image

Expert

branan1 - 2012-09-17 3:02 PM Forget boring. Just focus on getting it done. Ride, focus on nutrition and effort (pace, hr, power, whatever) and get it done. Be happy that we're there and able to be doing what we're doing.

I'm in this for fun.  This doesn't sound like fun   Nothing wrong with it as I train with some people that race this way but it's not me.  Seriously, I do not spend that much time focusing on these things.  I do take nutrition every 30 minutes and watch my effort, but pretty casual.  No power, hr, etc.  I like to look around, talk to to other riders/runners.  I'm not a heads down, let's get it done type guy, at least not in a full.  Sprint, Oly, different story. 

I spent way too much time training to not "smell the roses" as they say.  But, this is also only my 2nd full and I will never be below 12 hours.  If I had done 4, 5, or was an 11 hr pace I might have a different story.  If this is anyone's first, have fun, take it all in.  As was said above, "be happy that we're there and able to be doing what we're doing".  You don't know when or even if you'll get back.

enjoy,

Duane

2012-09-18 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4416092

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Livestrong191 - 2012-09-18 7:42 AM Surely the Warf Tower was not Full. That Hotel is Massive and only 5 min walk from T1 and  finish
There are very few places left.  I have about 20 hours invested in this but got lucky and found a place.  There is almost nothing left there

2012-09-18 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4416103

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
jldicarlo - 2012-09-18 7:49 AM

that is why I TYPED letters to you when you were deployed

2012-09-19 7:42 AM

User image

Expert

Ran the Captiva Sprint Tri this past weekend.  What a blast!  This is the second year for the event and they increased form 450 to 750 participants.  That is pushing it as the roads and run trail are not that big.

I was lucky because I was in the first wave so there were very few people in front of me.  Later waves had a hard time passing. 

But, you couldn't have a much prettier setting.  It is located at South Seas Resort at the North end of Captiva Island.  Swim in the gulf, ride along the gulf and the run is part gulf and part golf.

Finished 4th but was a full minute back.  It was faster than last year when I finished 2nd and I just moved up an age group - go figure.

Augusta next weekend then IMFL in a few short weeks!

enjoy,

Duane 

2012-09-19 8:40 AM

User image

Regular
Florence, Al

My wife and I are heading down to PCB this weekend (9/22) to checkout the course.  Any chance the BT collective knows of a group/club that is down there?  

Any of you planning to be down there for a pedal Saturday?

2012-09-19 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4418131

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Borden - 2012-09-19 9:40 AM

My wife and I are heading down to PCB this weekend (9/22) to checkout the course.  Any chance the BT collective knows of a group/club that is down there?  

Any of you planning to be down there for a pedal Saturday?

Not that I now of, but when I was down there last weekend I saw a ton of random folks out checking the course. Try positing in the Florida sub-forum and you should be able to find some takers.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 64