General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-10-12 7:57 PM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
Three Weeks From TODAY!

2013-10-13 8:53 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member

...IT:S   TAPER TIME  !!!!!!

2013-10-13 9:11 PM
in reply to: isis

User image

New user

Sugar Land, TX
Yea, 3 weeks will fly by no doubt. For me, it's not tamper time quick yet. It's been raining nearly every day in Sugar Land, TX, and I don't have a bike trainer, so it's all outdoor cycling for me. Plus, with a new bike tune-up and new HED wheels, I'm keeping it clean for now. haha! I believe Wed calls for a sunny day, so a 4-5 hour ride will ensue. Still have 2 long swim and run sessions to knock out too.

Well, for those who are in taper, taper on...for those still in training, train on!
2013-10-14 2:07 AM
in reply to: salasman

User image

Regular
The Sipp
I have been out of country all last week and this next week, so been stuck to the dreadmill and stationary bike. SO, I will do another longish ride next week (60-70), and maybe one long run before I taper.
I did a 114 mile ride 8 mile brick before I left (and IM Augusta the weekend before) to make sure my nutrition was dialed in good, and that went great, so feel ok about everything. I do have a torn hamstring, but it is not bothering me bad now.
Im ready to go have some fun!!!!
2013-10-14 6:09 AM
in reply to: pprice72

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

LAST LONG WEEK, Thank God.  I always do a 2 week taper and it works very well for me.  I used to not understand why people get crazy during taper but if I tapered for 3 weeks it would probably make me nuts, although eliminating the stress of having to squeeze in so much training for another week would be nice.  AND NOT ON CALL THIS WEEK, another THANK GOD 

2013-10-14 6:52 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Veteran
this is my last and hardest week than taper...outside of battleing PF in my right foot now i wake up and yep....im sick...ugh.....guess my body wanted to make this week even harder than it was already going to be....haha

2013-10-14 7:35 AM
in reply to: Jorgito22

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Originally posted by Jorgito22this is my last and hardest week than taper...outside of battleing PF in my right foot now i wake up and yep....im sick...ugh.....guess my body wanted to make this week even harder than it was already going to be....haha
Glad I am not the only one NOT tapering yet Misery loves company and all that
2013-10-14 8:08 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

No taper for me yet, I usually stick to a 2 week taper as well unless I am fighting an injury, which I am not! 

Actually from a time standpoint, this will be about my heaviest volume week, besides the week I did my other iron distance race this year, back in August.  And since I am travelling for work next Saturday, I have to find time to get the bulk of it in before or after work. 

2013-10-14 8:27 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Just posted this in the training talk section too but: what do you eat in the days leading up to the race? I'd assume you'd have to fuel up for atleast 2 days rather than just the routinely night before carbo load. High fats? Carbs? Just curious to see
2013-10-14 9:36 AM
in reply to: isis

Connecticut
I finished my longest training week last week (20 hrs) so I am counting this week as part of my taper even though there are a few pretty solid workouts. I really need to concentrate on getting to the starting line healthy now. I see some of you have nagging injuries as well, mine is my Achilles. Gotta keep reminding myself - "hay is in the barn", "money is in the bank", etc.

Sounds like this might be the last week before taper for many of you, so good luck and stay healthy.
2013-10-14 11:11 AM
in reply to: 0

whoops, double post.

Edited by LarchmontTri 2013-10-14 11:12 AM

2013-10-14 11:11 AM
in reply to: rjrankin83

Originally posted by rjrankin83

Just posted this in the training talk section too but: what do you eat in the days leading up to the race? I'd assume you'd have to fuel up for atleast 2 days rather than just the routinely night before carbo load. High fats? Carbs? Just curious to see

Don't eat anything that you wouldn't normally eat because you don't want a GI issue before the race even starts. Eat what has proven to work for you in the past. For me, turkey/chicken and pasta/toast/bagels/other similar type carbs work for me, so that forms the bulk of my intake before races. Toasted PB&J sandwiches and fruit are also good for me. Generally big meal two days out. Night before, nothing too crazy or heavy. Drink lots of water to make sure your system is well hydrated. And I also start drinking chicken broth soup (ie. a mugful for dinner) three days out to increase the salt in my system. If chicken broth isn't your thing, then choose an electrolyte drink.

Good luck.
2013-10-14 11:26 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Grand Rapids
It is taper time for me, but I still have 2 hr workouts most of the week. The weekend has less volume. A couple more 50+ mile rides.
2013-10-14 12:30 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Originally posted by rjrankin83Just posted this in the training talk section too but: what do you eat in the days leading up to the race? I'd assume you'd have to fuel up for atleast 2 days rather than just the routinely night before carbo load. High fats? Carbs? Just curious to see
Simple carbs, lots of fluids. I would discourage something like sushi or lots of seafood no matter how tempting due to a chance of food poisoning. I would also discourage (as most do) high fiber things to prevent lots of bathroom stops on race day. DO what works for you. Simple carbs, food you know you tolerate, hydrate well, simple protien
2013-10-14 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by rjrankin83

I start three days out from race....each night eating some sort of pasta and some chicken.....and continue to hydrate until race day...it has worked for me and by race day im good to go
2013-10-14 8:22 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Last long swim DONE!!!  I don't really mind the distance as much as the time suck..........................and the boredom

2013-10-14 8:22 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Last long swim DONE!!!  I don't really mind the distance as much as the time suck..........................and the boredom

2013-10-15 7:29 AM
in reply to: #4489246

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Think I found zen on my last long swim.
2013-10-15 1:24 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Originally posted by jashacThink I found zen on my last long swim.
I think I just found asthma and stuffy nose
2013-10-15 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Alright, less than three weeks out, time to get some training done.....I only wish I was kidding. Longest bike/run brick for me coming this weekend should give me a good idea of what I'm looking at, I know I'll be out there longer than I had planned but my few long ride/runs have gone well so I'm not too concerned. They always said it's better to be undertrained than overtrained right? Well, I've got that covered

My biggest issue is not missing Halloween. My kids are really jazzed up about me being here. Sooooo, I'll be driving down to check in on the 30th, turning around and driving back home (9 ish hours), doing Halloween then driving back down on the 1st. I am always restless the day before a race but always relaxed on long rides, maybe this will chill me out.

If anyone wants to go for a little ride, just let me know

TRAIN SAFE MY FRIENDS
2013-10-15 2:14 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Originally posted by papson14Alright, less than three weeks out, time to get some training done.....I only wish I was kidding. Longest bike/run brick for me coming this weekend should give me a good idea of what I'm looking at, I know I'll be out there longer than I had planned but my few long ride/runs have gone well so I'm not too concerned. They always said it's better to be undertrained than overtrained right? Well, I've got that covered My biggest issue is not missing Halloween. My kids are really jazzed up about me being here. Sooooo, I'll be driving down to check in on the 30th, turning around and driving back home (9 ish hours), doing Halloween then driving back down on the 1st. I am always restless the day before a race but always relaxed on long rides, maybe this will chill me out.If anyone wants to go for a little ride, just let me know TRAIN SAFE MY FRIENDS
We have more fun at the BOP anyway Sorry about all the driving that sucks. Get some good audiobooks. I will not be joining you.

2013-10-15 2:26 PM

User image

Grand Rapids
Florida friends:

So there's been some talk about flesh eating bacteria in Florida/Louisiana lately, is this something to be concerned about? I'd like to think it's B.S. in P.C., but have read conflicting reports.
2013-10-15 3:19 PM
in reply to: thefitmitten

User image

Regular
Flesh eating bacteria? Yes I would be very concerned if you get it. I think it was vibrio vulnificus. The name is scary enough. I think a few people died this summer from swimming in warm open water with open wounds? A couple others have contracted it recently. All in all 9 deaths and 27 documented infections. Here is the link.

http://www.ksla.com/story/23641952/flesh-eating-bacteria-death-on-g...

Wetsuit should cover up all my open sores.
2013-10-15 3:32 PM
in reply to: hornjs

User image

Grand Rapids
Originally posted by hornjs

Flesh eating bacteria? Yes I would be very concerned if you get it. I think it was vibrio vulnificus. The name is scary enough. I think a few people died this summer from swimming in warm open water with open wounds? A couple others have contracted it recently. All in all 9 deaths and 27 documented infections. Here is the link.

http://www.ksla.com/story/23641952/flesh-eating-bacteria-death-on-g...

Wetsuit should cover up all my open sores.

Thanks for the article. It sounds like this is almost an annual occurrence.
2013-10-15 5:08 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Originally posted by papson14

Alright, less than three weeks out, time to get some training done.....I only wish I was kidding. Longest bike/run brick for me coming this weekend should give me a good idea of what I'm looking at, I know I'll be out there longer than I had planned but my few long ride/runs have gone well so I'm not too concerned. They always said it's better to be undertrained than overtrained right? Well, I've got that covered

My biggest issue is not missing Halloween. My kids are really jazzed up about me being here. Sooooo, I'll be driving down to check in on the 30th, turning around and driving back home (9 ish hours), doing Halloween then driving back down on the 1st. I am always restless the day before a race but always relaxed on long rides, maybe this will chill me out.

If anyone wants to go for a little ride, just let me know

TRAIN SAFE MY FRIENDS

Don't forget you have to check your bike in on Nov. 1 between 10:00 - 3:00.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 41