BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 328

2010-09-22 5:54 AM
in reply to: #2771574

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
YOO-HOO PEEPS!!  Quick, check your calendars!  If you're racing, tell us about it!

For those of us on the sidelines, I know at least a few people are already looking at training plans for the off season or early season HIMs or IMs....what are you scratching your head over?  ASK THE EXPERTS! or at least ask your friends.

2010-09-22 6:10 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Hmmmm....I think I have a race on Sunday, Oh yeah Augusta 70.3! My first half. And Tracy and John will be there too!
2010-09-22 6:48 AM
in reply to: #3111300

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2010-09-22 6:54 AM YOO-HOO PEEPS!!  Quick, check your calendars!  If you're racing, tell us about it!

For those of us on the sidelines, I know at least a few people are already looking at training plans for the off season or early season HIMs or IMs....what are you scratching your head over?  ASK THE EXPERTS! or at least ask your friends.

good luck racers!

finally, i'm racing again.  pretty excited, looking forward meeting tracy and doug.  hopefully i'll be cheering and supporting them on while they're running, not the other way around. ha!  clearly i'm not where i want to be training wise, but life wise we're rockin' so it's all good.  i'll go out there and have a good time.  talk some sh+t to whoever will listen and hopefully come out of t2 nice and easy with something left in the tank to go for a run.  and besides, better 20% under trained then 2% over trained, right...... ;-)

oh yeah, the second question. if you're training is consistent, does 90% zone 2 10 % zone 4 get you home in a respectable manner, assume nutrition was spot on.  (i know the answer is yes, but want to hear your experience if you trained like this

and something i've always wondered.... do you wash your gels off before using them?  i started to about a few months back.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-09-22 6:55 AM
2010-09-22 8:00 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
I have a 10k on Saturday, should be interesting according to the elevation chart it's mostly downhill, shooting for 7:00 or better pace.

It's pretty scary, Sam and I were looking at the McMillian running calculator and the Boston Qualifying times.  Based on my Time Trial times I have run so far it calculates my marathon time as being 4 minutes off BQ time... 3:20 vs. 3:24

John, I never wash my gels but that's probably a good idea.
2010-09-22 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3110633

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

badgerintx - 2010-09-21 4:34 PM
DougRob - 2010-09-21 3:21 PM Dino:

How about "North Star" as in the name of a former NHL hockey team and the right colors?

AHHHHH, my old favorite team before they moved away from me as a child. 

So here are the ideas so far:
1. Five-hole
2. Cat
3. North Star

Thanks for the input so far.......

How about "Tenzing". The guide who lead Sir Edmund Hillary to the top of Mount Everest. One of the first two men to ever reach the summit.

2010-09-22 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3111441

User image

Champion
Any thoughts possibly for next year?

http://www.rev3tri.com/knoxvilleComingSoon.htm

We have been talking about White Lake HIM, what about something a bit bigger?  It's right around the same time.

Still trying to find out if BT is going to make it their destination race for next year so there could be a good crowd of BT'ers and a BT tent at the finish, they have an Oly and a HIM.  It's big time event type stuff but not the crowds of IM yet.

Just throwing it out there as an option for next year. 

2010-09-22 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3111297

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2010-09-22 4:50 AM
TrevorC - 2010-09-21 9:08 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-09-21 8:04 PM
CyborgQueen - 2010-09-21 3:48 PM How about Black Radioactive? 

Okay I'm not so good with names. :-)  I named mine Roulette.

Anyhoo - I'm *praying* that I didn't lose my bike/run fitness over a little bump in my life (my last living Grandparent passed away). I could barely get in a run here in NJ.  I started a new medication, that caused me to be nauseous for a while, so I hardly feel like I want to do anything. 

I have triathlon this Sunday. I'm hoping to get in a Bike on Thursday, a Bike/Run (non-brick) on Friday, and a run on Saturday.

Hopefully I didn't lose too much fitness.  From now until Dec half-mary, I'm self-coaching. I had to pay my airfare, so I don't have enough money left over for coaching. I know it sucks, but I think I'll be alright.   My only concern is the half-mary.  I really would like to RUN/walk the whole thing, but I think I will be just fine walking the last few miles.   I'll be the slowest runner of the MG, so I hope you all will be waiting for me at the finish line! :-)
Goal for the race is to get out of my comfort zone and push harder.  I have found that my last two races I held back some. While that's seem to be a good idea, but I feel like I had a whole lot left in my tank when I finish and I was afraid that I'll screw up on the run if I pushed too hard on the bike.   Hope this is a good goal! My OLY tri is next month, so knowing my "limit" will help me determine how fast to go on the bike/run.  Swim - I don't care too much for it actually, and I am just going with the flow. 

I like your attitude, although if I can learn to love swimming anyone can!

And no matter who comes in last we will all be there to cheer them on....of course I might decide to take a shower before Trev comes in from that marathon!!  I think the cut off is 8 hours. 

hey now!! And it says the cut off is 5 1/2 hours for the full. Michelle is a little worried about that...

Trevor

If you look at the 2009 results, ALOT of people were way over 5 1/2 hours.  They won't sweep her or stop the clock. My guess is they want to get the strip back in business which is why they say that.  Often they will move runners to the sidewalk at some point in time.  So tell her to stop worrying and keep running!

this: from what I see its a new route for 2010

ROAD CLOSURES & TIME LIMITS

A half marathon finish plan will be implemented.  All marathon participants must finish the course within our 5 1/2 hour time limit. Specific course cut-off times will be updated on this site soon.  Please stay tuned for more information.  Runners who reach a certain cut-off point will not be permitted to complete the marathon course.

This cut off plan is necessary to ensure all roads are re-opened to traffic based on the timeline that has been approved by the City of Las Vegas and Clark County.

All participants planning to run the marathon are encouraged to train to complete the race in less than 5 hours and 30 minutes."

Edited by TrevorC 2010-09-22 8:21 AM
2010-09-22 8:17 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2010-09-22 4:54 AM YOO-HOO PEEPS!!  Quick, check your calendars!  If you're racing, tell us about it!

Michelle and I are running a 10k out in Banff this weekend. Its a big,big race. Takes over the town. It will not be a PB by any means. Big hill, lots of peeps. More just a fun race.
2010-09-22 8:30 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

SSMinnow - 2010-09-22 5:54 AM YOO-HOO PEEPS!!  Quick, check your calendars!  If you're racing, tell us about it!

No racing this weekend but lots of activity.
Sat - Tony racing, kids doing the Kids Dash then a baseball game
Sun - volunteering at a Cross bike race and the kids doing a little race there

This off season - I really want to try and qualify for Boston.  I have about 6 months from next Monday when I get back to a plan and meet w/ my coach.

So gang - here are my thoughts.  Sorry this may be long. Please weigh in.
I came up w/ these priorities.
1 - high quality / complete run focused workouts (too many times w/ the tri training and 2 a days, I have to cut something short, skip it all together or give less than 100% b/c I'm tired or distracted)  I want less workouts but put in a better effort.
2 - core / strength workouts (I feel this is really important for running.  I have felt my core weaken at the end of long distance races when I have put out a hard effort)
3 - weight loss - 10lbs.  (RW article stated that 5 lbs. equals 5:27min less on a marathon time
4 - More recovery time inc. more sleep, massage thearpy and 1 day off a week (here I feel that
the constant state of building during tri training prevents me from a) giving 100% to each workout and b) losing weight b/c my body seems to be constantly repairing itself.
5 - optional swim, bike workuots.  Swim first and do drills, drills, drills to work on technique so when I get back to distance swimming, I will be efficient.  And bike once a week to rermind the legs how to pedal.
I realize I will lose a certain amount of bike fitness/skills but I can't do it all.  And I have NOTHING to lose on the swim at the moment.

SO I hope to bring these ideas to my coach and see what he thinks.

Good luck racers this weekend!

2010-09-22 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

SSMinnow - 2010-09-22 6:54 AM YOO-HOO PEEPS!!  Quick, check your calendars!  If you're racing, tell us about it!

No racing. Moving into fall training schedule. Light and easy.

" Caution: Triathlon question "

I have found out from the doctor that I have arthritis in my left shoulder and there is some degeneration of the muscles. That is why it is painful and is a lot weaker than the right one. Doc says not much I can do with it but keep it active. It will continue to deteriorate and eventually the shoulder joint will have to be replaced. Any ideas on how to make the best of the situation now. Diet Vitamins exercises etc. I need to build the muscle back up in the arm but it is painful and the prospects of the pain disappearing is slim. I am taking Glucosamine to help the joint and advil to help control the pain. Now off to hockey and see if I can loosen it up

2010-09-22 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3111463

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2010-09-22 9:12 AM
SSMinnow - 2010-09-22 4:50 AM
TrevorC - 2010-09-21 9:08 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-09-21 8:04 PM
CyborgQueen - 2010-09-21 3:48 PM How about Black Radioactive? 

Okay I'm not so good with names. :-)  I named mine Roulette.

Anyhoo - I'm *praying* that I didn't lose my bike/run fitness over a little bump in my life (my last living Grandparent passed away). I could barely get in a run here in NJ.  I started a new medication, that caused me to be nauseous for a while, so I hardly feel like I want to do anything. 

I have triathlon this Sunday. I'm hoping to get in a Bike on Thursday, a Bike/Run (non-brick) on Friday, and a run on Saturday.

Hopefully I didn't lose too much fitness.  From now until Dec half-mary, I'm self-coaching. I had to pay my airfare, so I don't have enough money left over for coaching. I know it sucks, but I think I'll be alright.   My only concern is the half-mary.  I really would like to RUN/walk the whole thing, but I think I will be just fine walking the last few miles.   I'll be the slowest runner of the MG, so I hope you all will be waiting for me at the finish line! :-)
Goal for the race is to get out of my comfort zone and push harder.  I have found that my last two races I held back some. While that's seem to be a good idea, but I feel like I had a whole lot left in my tank when I finish and I was afraid that I'll screw up on the run if I pushed too hard on the bike.   Hope this is a good goal! My OLY tri is next month, so knowing my "limit" will help me determine how fast to go on the bike/run.  Swim - I don't care too much for it actually, and I am just going with the flow. 

I like your attitude, although if I can learn to love swimming anyone can!

And no matter who comes in last we will all be there to cheer them on....of course I might decide to take a shower before Trev comes in from that marathon!!  I think the cut off is 8 hours. 

hey now!! And it says the cut off is 5 1/2 hours for the full. Michelle is a little worried about that...

Trevor

If you look at the 2009 results, ALOT of people were way over 5 1/2 hours.  They won't sweep her or stop the clock. My guess is they want to get the strip back in business which is why they say that.  Often they will move runners to the sidewalk at some point in time.  So tell her to stop worrying and keep running!

this: from what I see its a new route for 2010

ROAD CLOSURES & TIME LIMITS

A half marathon finish plan will be implemented.  All marathon participants must finish the course within our 5 1/2 hour time limit. Specific course cut-off times will be updated on this site soon.  Please stay tuned for more information.  Runners who reach a certain cut-off point will not be permitted to complete the marathon course.

This cut off plan is necessary to ensure all roads are re-opened to traffic based on the timeline that has been approved by the City of Las Vegas and Clark County.

All participants planning to run the marathon are encouraged to train to complete the race in less than 5 hours and 30 minutes."

i'm kind of surprised by this.  apparently so is this running club in vegas.   it seems to that this cutoff was put in place after many people already registered.... there's gonna be some mad people in vegas. 

2010-09-22 8:40 AM

User image

No racing this weekend for me...but I'm not quite to my off season yet.  This year has been weird, a lot of starts and stops with training.  Still trying to kick it in for my last race.  Not expecting too much other than one hell of an experience.

Good luck to all the Augusta folks this weekend...both racing and suporting.  And everyone else!
After a Sat morning football game we are heading to spend the weekend with my folks...and celebrating a birthday.

2010-09-22 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3111438

User image

Expert
dalessit - 2010-09-22 8:00 AMI have a 10k on Saturday, should be interesting according to the elevation chart it's mostly downhill, shooting for 7:00 or better pace.

It's pretty scary, Sam and I were looking at the McMillian running calculator and the Boston Qualifying times.  Based on my Time Trial times I have run so far it calculates my marathon time as being 4 minutes off BQ time... 3:20 vs. 3:24

John, I never wash my gels but that's probably a good idea.
Ditto on this. I am debating signing up for a marathon on may 21 so I can mostly run focus this winter and try to BQ pretty similar except based on a half I am a bit further away without having specifically trained for the half only halfassedly... A new word? I am itching to do a him next year and trying to put some things together to see what would work out
2010-09-22 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
SSMinnow - 2010-09-22 5:54 AM YOO-HOO PEEPS!!  Quick, check your calendars!  If you're racing, tell us about it!

Racing a modified sprint on Sunday Morning.  (500 yd pool swim, 15 mile bike, 5k run).  Last race of the season and no set goals except to have fun, take a maiden racing voyage on the new ride, and run well.  My only concern is that my swim splits at this race previously have now moved me into the fastest wave with 25 other guys much younger than me.  I figure if I can hold on to this group during the bike and run I will have no choice but to place well, and puke at the end?

Off-season, I have drank the Endurance Nation Koolade Surprised and plan on using thier "Out-season" plan for 20 weeks starting in October after some active recovery time.  This will take me right into HIM training in spring with a week or two of additional active recovery.  I have decided no need for coaching at this point, so I am just buying the plan and implementing it.  Any input from previous users of this plan (Ryan? This means very little swimming based on what I have read, so that will be a big change for me versus last off season.  Sounds like I am gonna spend some quality time in the "Hurt Locker" on the new ride on the trainer in the basement!  Bike fitness to improve my run splits is the idea, lets hope it works!

Wish I could make it to Augusta to cheer everybody on and watch John's blazingly fast transistions .... remember.... 
REPRESENT!!!

Edited by badgerintx 2010-09-22 9:56 AM
2010-09-22 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3111502

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Redknight - 2010-09-22 9:30 AM

No racing. Moving into fall training schedule. Light and easy.

" Caution: Triathlon question "

I have found out from the doctor that I have arthritis in my left shoulder and there is some degeneration of the muscles. That is why it is painful and is a lot weaker than the right one. Doc says not much I can do with it but keep it active. It will continue to deteriorate and eventually the shoulder joint will have to be replaced. Any ideas on how to make the best of the situation now. Diet Vitamins exercises etc. I need to build the muscle back up in the arm but it is painful and the prospects of the pain disappearing is slim. I am taking Glucosamine to help the joint and advil to help control the pain. Now off to hockey and see if I can loosen it up

Rob, my advise would be to see a physical therapist.  They can give you some great exercises to target the exact muscles in your shoulder.  A few visits should teach you a lot of things you can do on your own.  My PT has done wonders for me and most of it has been through education on stretches and exercises.  Sorry for you. Cry
2010-09-22 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Okay Augusta race goals:  other than my secret time goal, I really want need to have a strong race.  I am stronger physically than I was for my half last year and I am more prepared mentally.  Last time I didn't know what I was getting into.  Now I know what it is going to take to concentrate for 6+ hours and how important following the nutrition plan will be.  If I pull all that off successfully I will consider Augusta a complete victory - regardless of the clock.  And I must admit, knowing you guys can track us during the race is a HUGE motivator!  It is one thing to bonk and have to come back and tell you guys about it; it is very different to know you are witnessing it in real time!!!!

2010-09-22 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
Hmm. Very interesting about the cutoff times for the LV Marathon. 

It has been stated that it sometimes will take half hour for someone to get to the start line, which means the person will need to do a 11:27 pace marathon, which seems to be a tall order. 

It kind of sucks because the half cut off time is 4 hours, and you can run/walk the whole thing with 16:00 pace and still be fine.

There will be a section that if you are running the full, and not going to make it to the finish within the cut off time, they will push you to do the half.

I've never experience a marathon, so I have no idea what to expect. However, I do understand that the hefty price and cut off times includes police escorts and shutting down the strip. It doesn't just shut down the strip, but shuts down Fremont street which is at the very far end.

If you've never been to Vegas - the street, Las Vegas Blvd is basically a very major street that people need to cross to get to the West side of Las Vegas/ or East Side of Las Vegas. There's no way around it, except to go 30-40 minutes out of the way to get to a freeway. So, not only the strip has to be closed down, but all the roads around it needs to be diverted, and that'll off a lot of commuters trying to get to Summerlin/Henderson. So, I guess RnR is trying to please the city of Las Vegas. 

I just don't understand why they can't do Red Rock Loop (not the scenic loop)? That's so easy to kind of close off. There's a tiny village (Blue Diamond) that is only accessible by Red Rock Loop. However, it will be one hell of a hilly marathon. 

Does anyone else think they won't make the 5 hr cut off time (assuming it takes you about 20-30 minutes to get to the start line)? 
2010-09-22 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
SSMinnow - 2010-09-22 3:54 AM YOO-HOO PEEPS!!  Quick, check your calendars!  If you're racing, tell us about it!

Racing the Las Vegas Triathlon on Sunday.  Goal is to get out of my comfort zone and push it harder in some areas. Swim, I don't care. Bike/Run is where I need to push it.  I want to be able to finish this race and feel like I gave it all instead of feeling like I had a lot left in my tank or I could have gone faster.  This race is a lot hillier than my previous races, but it's the same course as Pumpkinman, so I think I'll be fine.

It's just getting a little beyond my comfort zone is the goal for this Sunday. However, due to the lack of training, I won't expect TOO much, but we'll see. 

2010-09-22 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3111679

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
tahrens - 2010-09-22 9:38 AM
Redknight - 2010-09-22 9:30 AM" Caution: Triathlon question "

Rob, my advise advice would be to see a physical therapist.  They can give you some great exercises to target the exact muscles in your shoulder.  A few visits should teach you a lot of things you can do on your own.  My PT has done wonders for me and most of it has been through education on stretches and exercises.  Sorry for you. Cry

X 2-  Get another opinion if you have not already!
2010-09-22 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Final Tri of the season this Sunday (the inaugural Houston Tri).  It will be my first olympic distance race.

As for off-season training, I will have a plan from our running club coach to prep for a half-marathon in mid-January (USA Fit in Sugar Land) but also looking at doing a warm-up half marathon on 12/5 (By the Bay in Laporte which is a 'bridge' race....most of the race is on the Fred Hartman bridge over the Houston Ship Channel). 

I am supposed to get my training plan tomorrow. Once I get it, I will be figuring out how to incorporate some bike and swim workouts as I still want to maintain in those areas, if not improve.   I might need advice on how to do that. 

Then, after the mid-January race, I will transition to prepping for the first tri I plan to do in 2011 (Gateway to the Bay in Kemah on 4/1).  I plan to do the olympic distance this time.  Some of you might remember this was the race with a boat start for the swim....1 mile out from the shore in Galveston Bay.....interesting start.
2010-09-22 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3111114

User image

SSMinnow - 2010-09-21 10:01 PM

Hey!!!! 

So here is my update on the Spring HIM event.  We're basically free mid-April to mid-May!! YEAH, right?  We realized the week Washington normally takes place is Easter weekend so I am guessing it will take place a different weekend. Maybe the following???  I am also guessing Mother's Day is out for most mom's so that would leave the second White Lake event which is a little later than I as hoping for.  So I would lean towards Washington, but can be persuaded.

My most important thing is I am absolutely NOT staying in a dump.  I would rather drive 30 minutes to the race than camp (I cannot camp) or sleep in a rat trap.  Am I clear???? Laughing

oh and if anyone has any interest in moving to an entirely different state, REV3 is in Knoxville....just to mix things up!

I might be able to join you guys if you do REV3 in Knoxville. That would be driving distance for me. They also try to make it family friendly, including an adventure race for kids on Saturday.

2010-09-22 10:11 AM

User image

I'm kinda-sorta racing! I'm doing a 20 mile road race as a training run for my November marathon. Goals are to practice pacing and nutrition in a race setting. I'm planning to run it as a progression run, finishing at my goal marathon pace. Then I'll boogie home to check on the progress of the Augusta racers!

Good luck to everyone racing, and happy training to everyone else! 
2010-09-22 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3111730

User image

Champion
gotta run - 2010-09-22 11:07 AM

Hey!!!! 

So here is my update on the Spring HIM event.  We're basically free mid-April to mid-May!! YEAH, right?  We realized the week Washington normally takes place is Easter weekend so I am guessing it will take place a different weekend. Maybe the following???  I am also guessing Mother's Day is out for most mom's so that would leave the second White Lake event which is a little later than I as hoping for.  So I would lean towards Washington, but can be persuaded.

My most important thing is I am absolutely NOT staying in a dump.  I would rather drive 30 minutes to the race than camp (I cannot camp) or sleep in a rat trap.  Am I clear???? Laughing

oh and if anyone has any interest in moving to an entirely different state, REV3 is in Knoxville....just to mix things up!

I might be able to join you guys if you do REV3 in Knoxville. That would be driving distance for me. They also try to make it family friendly, including an adventure race for kids on Saturday.

Rev3 was great for kids last year.  Sam and our son did the adventure race and came in 2nd (1st was the guy that set the course...)

They have a playground and water fountain/park right near the start/finish line that kept the kids busy.  Part of the adventure race is a moon/bounce type obstacle course that they also left open. 

The Oly is definitely the "A" race there that weekend, bigger than the HIM and all the pro's did the Oly. 
2010-09-22 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3111809

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2010-09-22 9:46 AM

Hey!!!! 

Rev3 was great for kids last year.  Sam and our son did the adventure race and came in 2nd (1st was the guy that set the course...)

They have a playground and water fountain/park right near the start/finish line that kept the kids busy.  Part of the adventure race is a moon/bounce type obstacle course that they also left open. 

The Oly is definitely the "A" race there that weekend, bigger than the HIM and all the pro's did the Oly. 

Stop making excuses for her. She dropped the ball and unfortunately your son had to pay for it!
2010-09-22 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3111809

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
dalessit - 2010-09-22 10:46 AM

Hey!!!! 

Ok, who's willing to make the switch to Knoxville?  Doug and Linda please say you can swing it!! I like the idea of a little bit bigger venue with better places to stay and eat.....
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 328