BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-10-18 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2465875

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
JHagerman - 2009-10-18 7:08 PM Back from Vegas.  RR to follow sometime soon.  Ouch/Yeah/Fun/Craziness

Best swim to date - Bike avg speed was 12.8 mph, biggest single climb EVER - run was a bit slow, just under 24m

Sounds like a pretty good hill you tackled there. 

2009-10-18 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Small Town
Garmin says climbing of 1,446' and decent of 87' for the bike.
2009-10-18 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2465844

User image

Champion
marietta
Plainsman AU - 2009-10-18 6:48 PM
Plainsman AU - 2009-10-18 2:42 PM I have got a RACE this afternoon!  5K at the university.  Buddy of mine called earlier and asked if I wanted to do this charity run this afternoon, so I guess the race is on.  Will be happy if i can pull off around 27...we'll see.

23:48  

nice! congrats.  and now i have a goal for my 5k on halloween.
2009-10-18 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2465875

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Jeremy- I made it out late to the race. I got to see a lot of the Half T2's.  They were hurting! Soccer and Ballet got in the way.  I wanted to see you finish, you were just too fast  Hope you had a good time.  It is a brutal course.  Saw you did well, congrats.   
2009-10-18 10:48 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Great job to Jeremy and Barry!!!  Way to go, guys

2009-10-19 6:46 AM
in reply to: #2465844

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Plainsman AU - 2009-10-18 7:48 PM
Plainsman AU - 2009-10-18 2:42 PM I have got a RACE this afternoon!  5K at the university.  Buddy of mine called earlier and asked if I wanted to do this charity run this afternoon, so I guess the race is on.  Will be happy if i can pull off around 27...we'll see.

23:48  

Nice run Barry!

2009-10-19 7:05 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Anyone ever use JorgeM's winter bike plan?  I've heard a bunch of positive feedback from those who have used it.  I think I might give it a try.  Three days per week at 1 hour + and seeing great results?  I'm there.  This should fit in perfectly.  No mary, but will build the swim and run slowly.

Question for everyone:  What is your opinion about training your strength vs. weakness?  Until recently, I have heard to spend more time building your weak areas and less on your stronger areas.  Andy Potts said that he does not focus on biking and running more than the swim.  He focuses on all equally.  Since he is a stronger swimmer, why back off?  That is where is able to gain an advantage on others.  Makes sense.  What does everyone think?
2009-10-19 7:12 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Very nice  both Jeremy and Barry.

I'd say you have a pretty good season Andy.

I had a good relaxing weekend. Went to see the stage production "Jersey Boys" on Sat. It was great. Sunday I was heading out to workout but by the time I got to the gym I was feeling pretty crappy (fluish) and decided to forgo the workout for a day. Went home and had a 3 hour nap. I guess I made the right choice.

Happy Monday to everyone and lets all have a great week.

2009-10-19 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2466323

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-10-19 7:05 AM Anyone ever use JorgeM's winter bike plan?  I've heard a bunch of positive feedback from those who have used it.  I think I might give it a try.  Three days per week at 1 hour + and seeing great results?  I'm there.  This should fit in perfectly.  No mary, but will build the swim and run slowly.

Question for everyone:  What is your opinion about training your strength vs. weakness?  Until recently, I have heard to spend more time building your weak areas and less on your stronger areas.  Andy Potts said that he does not focus on biking and running more than the swim.  He focuses on all equally.  Since he is a stronger swimmer, why back off?  That is where is able to gain an advantage on others.  Makes sense.  What does everyone think?

I was looking at Jorge's thread and considering it myself.  Looks like alot of people interested in it and positive feedback from last year.  Problem for me is I don't have a trainer for my bike, but I have a spin bike, so I will have to see how that works.

I am thinking that when you get to Pott's level, there probably is not a big difference in their strength in their three sports, and to be competitive at their level, they have to work hard on all three...all the time.  Say... in most of our cases, we might have a significant limiter.  For me it would be the run that I am very insufficient at compared to the bike and even the swim now.  Because I have only a limited amt of time devoted to training, I feel that it would be best spent focusing on the limiter to get it closer to the bike/swim. 
2009-10-19 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2466420

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Plainsman AU - 2009-10-19 7:11 AM
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-10-19 7:05 AM Anyone ever use JorgeM's winter bike plan?  I've heard a bunch of positive feedback from those who have used it.  I think I might give it a try.  Three days per week at 1 hour + and seeing great results?  I'm there.  This should fit in perfectly.  No mary, but will build the swim and run slowly.

I was looking at Jorge's thread and considering it myself.  Looks like alot of people interested in it and positive feedback from last year.  Problem for me is I don't have a trainer for my bike, but I have a spin bike, so I will have to see how that works.

I am thinking that when you get to Pott's level, there probably is not a big difference in their strength in their three sports, and to be competitive at their level, they have to work hard on all three...all the time.  Say... in most of our cases, we might have a significant limiter.  For me it would be the run that I am very insufficient at compared to the bike and even the swim now.  Because I have only a limited amt of time devoted to training, I feel that it would be best spent focusing on the limiter to get it closer to the bike/swim. 

Nice run Barry!!

And I agree with you on this. With the limited time I have to squeeze in workouts and being at the level I am  at, I am really going to focus on my weakness this winter - RUNNING. I won't completely get away from the other two, but I need to work on my run, as I dont want too many of those slow bikers and swimmers running by me at Lonestar!
2009-10-19 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2466420

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Plainsman AU - 2009-10-19 9:11 AM

yep, I would be doing Jorge's winter cycling if I wasn't going to be trying the coaching thing out this winter.

Also agree with exactly what Barry said on strengths vs. weaknesses.  When I started, I could allready ride and anyone can technically run.  I had to focus on swimming to get out of the BOP.  Once I got that going and could swim MOPish, I had to work on running to get to the same place.  My cycling made me competitive but I could be much more competitive if I wouldn't lose so much time to those guys running in the 6's.

2009-10-19 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2465727

User image

Champion
marietta
ashort33 - 2009-10-18 5:11 PM

Sorry a thread on Triathlon talk that made me think -"How did your season go" - If I had to sum it up in one word it would be "undertrained"  Here is my season recap (still have at least a 5k and a half mary to go this year...)

5 bike rallys - from 30, 40, 42, 63, and 100miles - thanks to John for the support during the century!

6 sprints or supersprints completed.  Improved time on Rockwall course from May to Aug by 12 minutes.  Improved time on Lynn Creek by 5 minutes in one month.  Missed last sprint of the year due to sickness. 

1 half mile OWS race - finished last

1 750m/5k aquathon - finished second in AG (out of three)

First olympic - did not meet time goal - but perserved on the course! 

Signed up for a HIM next year!

Overall a great year for me, especially starting from nowhere at the end of March.  Oh yeah, I lost 30lbs along the way...

There will not be much of an offseason for me - from half mary into HIM training.... 

Thanks to this group for all the support, advice, and encouragement along the way!  I don't know how to express the gratitude I feel to all of you!

Congrats on a great first season Andy!  Very cool I could be part of it in some small way.  Looking forward to riding the Lone Star course next month.  We can get some good recon in on where to ambush Tony when he's heading back into town.
2009-10-19 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsford, NY
Hello everyone,
It has been a long long time since I last posted, but I did my first duathlon on Sat. and when I came back I had a sweet mentor group wooden pen waiting for me in the mailbox.  (Thank you it is awesome)  It must have been a sign.  I will put up a race report for the duathlon.  In the mean time, I will try to catch up and see what everyone has been up to this month.

I have just started planning my off season.  My goals are to increase my weekly running mileage from the 20s to the 40s, by running 6x a week at a low intensity.  I am also planning on following George's bike training plan.

I hope all is well with everyone.
2009-10-19 10:01 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I read the same article yesterday.  I understand where is he is coming from as a competitive pro athlete or even a good AG, but I do think if you have one VERY LARGE limiter it makes sense to focus on it at the expense of something else.  For me, if I hadn't stepped back from running to improve swimming I never would have been able to do the HIM.  Having said that, I know why I did it, but I find myself a little depressed with my running and it is something I am trying to work through.  I HATE not being close to my '08 PRs in the half or 10K and knowing that this Fall any runs I do will be strictly for fun.  And yes, I know those PRs were when I was a stand alone runner.  I am hoping in '10 I will be able to take a more balanced approach to all three sports, but time will tell.

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-10-19 10:16 AM
2009-10-19 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2466519

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-10-19 9:07 AM
ashort33 - 2009-10-18 5:11 PM

Sorry a thread on Triathlon talk that made me think -"How did your season go" - If I had to sum it up in one word it would be "undertrained"  Here is my season recap (still have at least a 5k and a half mary to go this year...)

5 bike rallys - from 30, 40, 42, 63, and 100miles - thanks to John for the support during the century!

6 sprints or supersprints completed.  Improved time on Rockwall course from May to Aug by 12 minutes.  Improved time on Lynn Creek by 5 minutes in one month.  Missed last sprint of the year due to sickness. 

1 half mile OWS race - finished last

1 750m/5k aquathon - finished second in AG (out of three)

First olympic - did not meet time goal - but perserved on the course! 

Signed up for a HIM next year!

Overall a great year for me, especially starting from nowhere at the end of March.  Oh yeah, I lost 30lbs along the way...

There will not be much of an offseason for me - from half mary into HIM training.... 

Thanks to this group for all the support, advice, and encouragement along the way!  I don't know how to express the gratitude I feel to all of you!

Congrats on a great first season Andy!  Very cool I could be part of it in some small way.  Looking forward to riding the Lone Star course next month.  We can get some good recon in on where to ambush Tony when he's heading back into town.

We'll set up a special nutrition tent for Tony about 75% into the ride - beer to drink and special, organically enhanced "brownies" to eat - he won't care about finishing the race, he'll just want to hang out and snack the rest of the day....

2009-10-19 10:06 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Trevor - just 3 more days on the sig line - enjoy it while you can.... 

2009-10-19 10:07 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

lol!  maybe potts needs to work on his swim.  john flanagan flipping over to backstroke in front of him was the coolest thing at kona. 

my weakness is in all three, clearly.   at the start of the season my training was go swim bike and run a few hours a week. sure i knew about speed work and drills and whatever else but i didn't really understand how to maximize their use.  i still don't!  but i know enough now to be dangerous. ;-)   this is the weakness that i've been working on the last few months and will really focus on this winter.  qood quality workout in all three disciplines.  if its a 5 hour week or 15 hour week, why am i doing a particular workout.  why am i doing it in a certain zone. etc.  really understanding what i'm doing so i can build a solid foundation. 

also, "difference" is relative.  potts may feel his bike is n% weaker than his swim.  that n% might be very similar to me.  so we're both trying to close the same gap just at way different levels.

2009-10-19 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2466625

User image

Champion
ashort33 - 2009-10-19 11:02 AM

We'll set up a special nutrition tent for Tony about 75% into the ride - beer to drink and special, organically enhanced "brownies" to eat - he won't care about finishing the race, he'll just want to hang out and snack the rest of the day....

Wait?  What did I do?
2009-10-19 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Wow, this group use to slack off on the posting over the weekends - no more. Forgive me as I bullet my responses.

John - IMCA 2011!!!!

Andy - what a great season, and many congrats on the 30lbs!  Way to go.  And I second the stretching and core workouts for the tight back.  Also, something as simple as watching your posture during the day - makes a big difference. Do you use a foam roller?  Good stuff.

Barry - smokin' fast.  Outstanding.

Tony - I hear you about the weather. I was supposed to run 20 miles yesterday and halfway through there wasn't a single thing about the run that didn't suck so I gave up.  However it is nice to be at a level where I think 10 miles is a BAD run.

Chris - I took the "focus on my weakness" approach this season to a fault.  Biking is always my strong suit and I think I took it too much for granted.   Focusing on the run got me spoiled to running in ideal conditions - i.e. not off the bike.  Therefore when I would race, my bike took more work than it should have and thus my running suffered, even after all the training.  And now with all my running training I MISS MY BIKE   I think next year I am going with the all three equal approach and that way an "easy" workout in your strongest disciple will be a nice reward for the tough ones in your weakest.  We’ll see how it works for me.

2009-10-19 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2466660

User image

Champion
ugh, race week, starting to get a bit nervous.  LOL, I like that I have 10+ tri's scheduled so if I have a bad day there is always next months race,  this is my one and only marathon this year so if I screw it up, no chance for redemption until Jan 2011 and even then I don't plan on racing since we are doing 3 races in 3 days.

Also Kids have been sick for a week, now I feel kind of crappy.

Anyone have a good cheese to go with my whine?
2009-10-19 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2466620

User image

Champion
ABrunner - 2009-10-19 11:01 AM Hello everyone,
It has been a long long time since I last posted, but I did my first duathlon on Sat. and when I came back I had a sweet mentor group wooden pen waiting for me in the mailbox.  (Thank you it is awesome)  It must have been a sign.  I will put up a race report for the duathlon.  In the mean time, I will try to catch up and see what everyone has been up to this month.

I have just started planning my off season.  My goals are to increase my weekly running mileage from the 20s to the 40s, by running 6x a week at a low intensity.  I am also planning on following George's bike training plan.

Welcome back Adam!

2009-10-19 11:28 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Andy- Great job this year!  That is a lot of racing! You have done awesome in every function of the sport (speed, fun, weightloss, etc...).  I think that it is VERY IMPORTANT to have an "off season."  Your body and mind need it. 

Barry- In the words of Jim Carey "SMOKIN!"  Great 5k, what got into you?  Why can't you do that all the time? There is a huge difference in 27+ vs. 23+!!!!!  Awesome.

Jeremy- Gotta love the hills.  They are your friends.

Chris- I am no pro, but I would say that you need to focus on your weakness.  I put a big effort in to running last year (mainly speed, not endurance) and it goes to show when I get off the bike. I (like you I think) can swim ok, and didn't put much time in the water.  I knew that I would survive, come out feeling good, and was ready for the bike.  Each race this year the run was the most important to me because I knew how much of a focus I made it this year to get faster.  For the upcoming year I am going to try and work on the bike.  Need to build power on the bike.  I will also continue to throw in 1, or 2 runs a week with the occasional (once a month) swim.  However, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!  I love the off-season and "exploring" other activities like snowshoeing, hike, rock climbing, trail running (got my arse handed to me yesterday on this one!!!), mtn biking.....
2009-10-19 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2466678

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

dalessit - 2009-10-19 10:26 AM
ABrunner - 2009-10-19 11:01 AM Hello everyone,

Welcome back Adam!

x2!!  Hope all is well with your family!  How is that little one?

2009-10-19 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2466670

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

dalessit - 2009-10-19 11:22 AM ugh, race week, starting to get a bit nervous.  LOL, I like that I have 10+ tri's scheduled so if I have a bad day there is always next months race,  this is my one and only marathon this year so if I screw it up, no chance for redemption until Jan 2011 and even then I don't plan on racing since we are doing 3 races in 3 days.

Also Kids have been sick for a week, now I feel kind of crappy.

Anyone have a good cheese to go with my whine?

I'm thinkin you would probably want some Gouda cheese with a your Whine.

2009-10-19 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2466833

User image

Champion
Cool site

http://analyticcycling.com/

They have a model there for various changes you can make to your bike and setup and will tell you how much time it will add or subtract from your race.

Geeky yes but neat nonetheless.

Neat to see how little your speed goes up by adding weight vs. how much it goes down by just adding 10 watts to the ride (2.6 seconds slower for 3lbs over a 4k TT and 10 seconds faster for 10 more watts over a 4k TT)

Edited by dalessit 2009-10-19 11:54 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383