Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 171

2011-01-03 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3275145

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
Plainsman AU - 2011-01-03 3:10 PM Who is getting up early to get their workouts in???

I need a little motivation to get on up and get it done.  Because I work at home I tend to want to procrastinate and let it warm up a bit etc, but things can get in the way and blow my workout.  Or, if I have 2 planned, it can screw with one of those if something comes up...like today.

I need to get in the habit of getting out of bed and getting IT done. 

If I don't get it done in the morning it won't get done.  Usually I am up by about 5:00-5:15, and now it is actually kind of annoying because even when I want to sleep in, I can't!!! 

On the occasion that I have missed a morning workout for one reason or another, if I try to do it later, it actually kind of screws up the rest of my week. 

The thing that I have found to help is to get to bed by 10pm. and drink a huge glass of water before bed, and then when the alarm goes off, you have to get out to go to the restroom.  Then I drink another glass of water because it is good for my digestion!  Is that TMI???  Seriously, within 15 minutes, I have cleaned out the pipes and am ready for the pool/gym.

Well, Suzy says I should eat breakfast first, which I am thinking, wow? does that mean I have to get up at 4:30am to eat? Maybe just a breakfast bar in the car.  What do you guys think?

2011-01-03 8:12 PM
in reply to: #3274952

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
SSMinnow - 2011-01-03 3:39 PM
gdale - 2011-01-03 1:39 PM

Looking to buy some new running sneaks.  Who buys online?  I typically have gone to Dick's Sporting Goods or someplace like that but would like to try elsewhere.  I am looking for Saucony's.

Thanks!

If I don't know for sure what I want, I use Zappos.  They have free shipping both ways and never question a return.  The shoes are never on sale unless they are close outs, but they are lightening fast getting you product.  Otherwise, I might google my shoe to see who has the best deal.

+1 on Zappos...  Warp Speed Shipping!!
Ordered some shoes last week at 8pm one night and had them the next day just after 1 pm.
2011-01-03 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3275443

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Plainsman AU - 2011-01-03 6:58 PM OK... I am motivated.  During the summers it is easy to get up and get on the bike for a group ride, but I have just gotten lazy thinking that I can get it in around 8 oclock or so if I am at home.

I would like to go ahead and get my run in so that I can hit the trainer or swim in the evenings.  Could actually get up at 5:30 and be out and back by time to take Jones to school or whatever.  Got to make this a good habit to get into.

So (Andy) out the door in the morning for a 4 mile run.  You guys can check up on me tomorrow. 

Its totally about the habit. Not that its too cold/too warm,etc,etc. Once you get the motivation, weather conditions become irrelevant.
Just need the motivation. Period.
You better run tomorrow morning!!! or else Andy is coming to get you!!
2011-01-03 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3275482

User image

Elite
san francisco
TrevorC - 2011-01-03 6:14 PM
Plainsman AU - 2011-01-03 6:58 PM OK... I am motivated.  During the summers it is easy to get up and get on the bike for a group ride, but I have just gotten lazy thinking that I can get it in around 8 oclock or so if I am at home.

I would like to go ahead and get my run in so that I can hit the trainer or swim in the evenings.  Could actually get up at 5:30 and be out and back by time to take Jones to school or whatever.  Got to make this a good habit to get into.

So (Andy) out the door in the morning for a 4 mile run.  You guys can check up on me tomorrow. 

Its totally about the habit. Not that its too cold/too warm,etc,etc. Once you get the motivation, weather conditions become irrelevant.
Just need the motivation. Period.
You better run tomorrow morning!!! or else Andy is coming to get you!!

HE'S A WAR EAGLE!!!!  He'll do it.  Or we'll all shame him.   
2011-01-03 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Champion
marietta
war eagle.
2011-01-03 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3275145

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plainsman AU - 2011-01-03 5:10 PM Who is getting up early to get their workouts in???

I need a little motivation to get on up and get it done.  Because I work at home I tend to want to procrastinate and let it warm up a bit etc, but things can get in the way and blow my workout.  Or, if I have 2 planned, it can screw with one of those if something comes up...like today.

All the advice (and motivation) you have gotten are good.  

I work at home and have similar issues.  One thing that helps me is to schedule the workouts on my work calendar, with alarms, etc. to make it important/urgent.  I make a habit of planning out my workouts for the week, scheduling my morning workouts to end in time for me to be ready for my first calls/meetings of the day.  If the weather or schedule changes requires me to move the workout, I reschedule it like it were any other important event that has to fit somewhere on my calendar.

2011-01-03 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3275474

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
Scalded_Dawg - 2011-01-03 7:12 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-01-03 3:39 PM
gdale - 2011-01-03 1:39 PM

Looking to buy some new running sneaks.  Who buys online?  I typically have gone to Dick's Sporting Goods or someplace like that but would like to try elsewhere.  I am looking for Saucony's.

Thanks!

If I don't know for sure what I want, I use Zappos.  They have free shipping both ways and never question a return.  The shoes are never on sale unless they are close outs, but they are lightening fast getting you product.  Otherwise, I might google my shoe to see who has the best deal.

+1 on Zappos...  Warp Speed Shipping!!
Ordered some shoes last week at 8pm one night and had them the next day just after 1 pm.

I go to Runners Roost once I find a shoe that works then I will order online since it is a 2hr+dr for me.
2011-01-03 8:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Did my first swim workout of the year tonight....1800M.  The longest workout since last fall.  But, I feel really slow and heavy in the water....well slower and heavier than I usually do.   

I have not touched my bike since October since I am focused on running these days.  Maybe this weekend.....
2011-01-03 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3275507

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
gdctex - 2011-01-03 7:26 PM
Plainsman AU - 2011-01-03 5:10 PM Who is getting up early to get their workouts in???

I am not really a morning person unless I have something planned like a race and such. Usually biking and swimming is done at lunch and running right after work. The morning I am pretty stiff and need my cups of Joe. I do however get up at 4:30am in Saturdays to drive an hour to
La Junta
2011-01-03 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3275532

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
gdctex - 2011-01-03 7:36 PM Did my first swim workout of the year tonight....1800M.  The longest workout since last fall.  But, I feel really slow and heavy in the water....well slower and heavier than I usually do.   

I have not touched my bike since October since I am focused on running these days.  Maybe this weekend.....

Great job on your swim I haven't swam that far yet hope to get there in the next few weeks.
2011-01-03 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3275443

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Plainsman AU - 2011-01-03 7:58 PM OK... I am motivated.  During the summers it is easy to get up and get on the bike for a group ride, but I have just gotten lazy thinking that I can get it in around 8 oclock or so if I am at home.

Sounds good -me out the door at 5:00 for a 45min swim....  Check me tomorrow...

2011-01-03 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3275507

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
gdctex - 2011-01-03 8:26 PM

I work at home and have similar issues.  One thing that helps me is to schedule the workouts on my work calendar, with alarms, etc. to make it important/urgent.  I make a habit of planning out my workouts for the week, scheduling my morning workouts to end in time for me to be ready for my first calls/meetings of the day.  If the weather or schedule changes requires me to move the workout, I reschedule it like it were any other important event that has to fit somewhere on my calendar.

I can tell you are WAAAYYYY more organized than I.

I better get to bed so I can get up in the AM
2011-01-03 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3275637

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plainsman AU - 2011-01-03 9:23 PM

LOL.  Not really.  Just pushed to get the job done any way I can.  Get some sleep and have a great run tomorrow morning. 
2011-01-03 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3275637

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Plainsman AU - 2011-01-03 8:23 PM

Get offline NOW!!! Go to bed, you have an early day tomorrow.
2011-01-03 9:54 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I am not a morning person either but I find having someone else holding me accountable helps. Either I train with someone else early or I have them send me a text or something. I'm sure several of our very early birds would be willing to help out in this arena. 

Linda, what grade do you teach? The elementary schools are the late starters down here.  When I taught at the high school level they began at 7:45 and I thought that was early - yuck
2011-01-03 10:30 PM

User image

Veteran
New York
I remember why I don't live in Madison anymore.  19km run this morning... it was around 20F, but with the wind chill, it was probably around 10F... 

Just got back from a great swim. 3100yds.  Finally, a decent base building day! 

2011-01-03 10:32 PM
in reply to: #3274681

User image

Veteran
New York
gdale - 2011-01-04 3:39 AM

Thanks!

You can also find decent deals on Eastbay.com.  I just purchased a pair of Saucony Triumph 7s for 90 bucks (from $130).  They have a promotion right now... 20% off purchases $99 or higher.

2011-01-03 10:36 PM

User image

Burleson
Would be nice to get to bed by 10:00.  I don't get home from work till 1:00 am.  Will be up at 6:30 am to go swim.
2011-01-03 10:52 PM
in reply to: #3275754

User image

Master
Sooooo excited to check up on the early birds tomorrow!!! Go and get your worms!!!!!!!!! I get to sleep in tomorrow (my run is too long to do before the kids go to school, cuz I am not as devoted as Linda/Terps), but I'll be up with you guys on Wednesday and Thursday, OK!?

So MEN!!!!!!!!!!

Chafing is something my husband has issues with, and I know he's not alone. I think he's found the skivs that work OK for him for running most of the time (Hawaii always throws him a big-ole curve ball, though!)... but still... I'm reading my latest Runner's World and there is an article for you dudes:

Brief Encounter, The Skinny on Running Skivvies (p. 81). Can't find it online, sadly (anyone?). They do some review for the ladies as well... Personally I ain't ponying up $16-$20 for workout undies. Yes, I do run in undies (don't bike in them, obv), but my basic everyday skivs do the job for me (and no, men, I don't run in my HankyPank thongs, although I have a girlfriend who does -- LOL!).
2011-01-04 5:25 AM
in reply to: #3275532

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
gdctex - 2011-01-03 8:36 PM Did my first swim workout of the year tonight....1800M.  The longest workout since last fall.  But, I feel really slow and heavy in the water....well slower and heavier than I usually do.   

Just remember not to be totally deflated when you get back on that bike.  I took three weeks off last year to go to Mexico and then Hawaii and it was a rude awakening.  My FTP loss was not insignifcant despite running some while away.  You had a reason to do a running focused plan so just remind yourself of that when you're ready to cry uncle on the bike.

Hey Twin--if I were doing some of the super speedwork you were, I would not eat breakfast.  For everything else it's a piece of toast or some steel cut oats.  Lots of people say you will burn fat without breakfast, but since you don't have a problem let the fuel make your workouts better.  I do get up earlier to eat, but for me it's worth it.
2011-01-04 5:59 AM
in reply to: #3275769

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kkcbelle - 2011-01-03 10:52 PM Sooooo excited to check up on the early birds tomorrow!!! Go and get your worms!!!!!!!!! I get to sleep in tomorrow (my run is too long to do before the kids go to school, cuz I am not as devoted as Linda/Terps), but I'll be up with you guys on Wednesday and Thursday, OK!?

So MEN!!!!!!!!!!

Chafing is something my husband has issues with, and I know he's not alone. I think he's found the skivs that work OK for him for running most of the time (Hawaii always throws him a big-ole curve ball, though!)... but still... I'm reading my latest Runner's World and there is an article for you dudes:

Brief Encounter, The Skinny on Running Skivvies (p. 81). Can't find it online, sadly (anyone?). They do some review for the ladies as well... Personally I ain't ponying up $16-$20 for workout undies. Yes, I do run in undies (don't bike in them, obv), but my basic everyday skivs do the job for me (and no, men, I don't run in my HankyPank thongs, although I have a girlfriend who does -- LOL!).

HANKY PANKY thongs rule!  Just not for working out....

2011-01-04 6:59 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
kkcbelle - 2011-01-03 11:52 PM Sooooo excited to check up on the early birds tomorrow!!! Go and get your worms!!!!!!!!! I get to sleep in tomorrow (my run is too long to do before the kids go to school, cuz I am not as devoted as Linda/Terps), but I'll be up with you guys on Wednesday and Thursday, OK!?

So MEN!!!!!!!!!!

So what's your question?  I'm so confused...

What are HankyPank Thongs?  Pictures?

For the hubby, tell him to go old school with a Jock Strap, they work great for running and always fashionable for wearing around the house on the weekend ; )
2011-01-04 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Accountability time.....

-   Interval ride at 4:45 am this morning.....  Check   

Andy?
Barry?
Others? 

Dino 
2011-01-04 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3275951

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
dalessit - 2011-01-04 6:59 AM
kkcbelle - 2011-01-03 11:52 PM Sooooo excited to check up on the early birds tomorrow!!! Go and get your worms!!!!!!!!! I get to sleep in tomorrow (my run is too long to do before the kids go to school, cuz I am not as devoted as Linda/Terps), but I'll be up with you guys on Wednesday and Thursday, OK!?

So MEN!!!!!!!!!!

So what's your question?  I'm so confused...

What are HankyPank Thongs?  Pictures?

x2.  Very confused about the question?  Compression shorts or Tri shorts don't stop his chafing???  FWIW, I always use Chamios butter, even if just going for a run.  A little lubrication never hurt anybody....and if you get the European style that warms and tingles, Oh, How I digress!!

Dino 
2011-01-04 7:39 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

So MEN!!!!!!!!!!

not sure what you're asking either.  here's my rec and you know the problems i had w/ chaffing.  the nike guys in vegas said they can't keep theirs in stock because of demand.  both are super comfortable and no more chaffing issues, but the nike has the back zipper pocket  so it wins hands down.  the other day i dropped my car key out of the asics, luckily it hit my foot on the way down alerting me that it was loose on the trail.

Nike

Asics 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171