BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-04-19 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3454491

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN drinking tiger blood and closed
kkcbelle - 2011-04-19 10:31 AM

Re: Early mornings... I'm with Trevor -- you need to find that inner motivation (why are you doing this??) and use it to your advantage.

That said, here are my tricks:

1) Make coffee the night before and set the timer. Wake up to the smell of fresh coffee. And if you are lazy and turn off the alarm, well, then you don't get fresh coffee. (My maker doesn't have a heated bottom, so if I sleep for 2 more hours I don't get super HOT coffee unless I nuke it. FAIL.)

2) Set your workout clothes out the night before. This just plants the seed that you ARE going to do this... Said seed can germinate all night and add to the morning's guilt if you blow it off.

3) If you find you end up getting sleep-deprived, find 15 minutes during your day (late afternoon for me) and take a power nap. Not a LONG nap, just barely staying conscious. It's amazing what that can do. Yes, hard to do with a day job, but I'm sure we all have 15 non-productive minutes every day. Make them productive by grabbing some shut-eye.

4) Find your "out" and know it will be there waiting. My "out" is Friday -- it's the day I get to sleep in, ahhhhh. Funny, I have found that I actually feel pretty sluggish on Friday when I sleep until 7am. But I look forward to it every week and when my alarm goes off Mon-Thurs I remind myself, "Friday you can sleep in."

5) I always tell myself, "No one is gonna do this for me." That gets back to Trevor's comment -- why are you doing this? Eye on the prize, eye on the prize!!

I'm curious how Linda gets up at 4am and runs 12-ish miles every day!! To me, that is just above and beyond!! It's that kind of mental stamina that clearly drives her to run 29 miles in 4 hours. Awesome.

I would only add that if you can find a work out partner, that can be motivation to get out of bed.  Most people have an easier time letting themselves down then they do someone else so if you make a plan to meet someone, you need to get out of bed and meet your committments.

2011-04-19 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

x 1,000,000 on the JUST DO IT!  Laughing

Though, I will admit I've had a harder time lately just getting out of bed.  I think most of that has to do with the closer and closer exams get, the more exhausted I am.  Ryan keeps the alarm clock on his side of the bed though so I HAVE to wake up just to turn the darn thing off!

But I DO agree with the workout partner.  One of the reasons I have to get out and run in the morning is because of Nadie!  She always knows what days are our run days, and she'll get really lippy if we don't go running ASAP. 

Just remember how good it feels to have your workout out of the way first thing in the morning!  And remember how much you dread a workout at 7pm just because you didn't get out in the morning!  THAT helps me more than anything!

2011-04-19 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
When my kids were doing the 5am swim practices, they used to go to bed in their swimsuits to allow themselves 90 more seconds of sleep.....
2011-04-19 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3454212

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-04-19 8:46 AM
dalessit - 2011-04-19 6:39 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-04-18 10:01 PM

That is an awesome picture....how the heck did you two actually see each other in those masses? 

On another note....

WE GOT THE HOUSE!  closing and other details to follow....

Congrats, now when are you hosting the MG training camp in WI?

Are you telling me your signing up for IM WI?  Lot is 11 acres so I could do a Woodstock thing if you like.

No but thats a good training area and the house looks big enough that everyone would have their own room with a few to spare ; )

2011-04-19 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3454284

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
bfwhitt - 2011-04-19 9:16 AM

I am going to throw this out to the group, so any tricks, ideas, inspiring thoughts, quotes that you have please share if you get a chance.

I need to train myself to get up early in the morning and train....I hate getting up....I need to get more training in and with my busy schedule this seems to be the only time when I can get the extra training in. Problem is this...I have three adult children 20,21,23 (yes that need to be out on there own, some in college) and stay up late. I wake at the drop of a pin, so trying to get to bed early is a waste of time, plus if any of you have children this age, you cant stop worrying about where they are at night. Ugghhh!

Anyway I have been trying to come up with ways to make myself get up early.....I know just f*(*$% do it !!! Easier said then done for me. One time I set the alarm clock one minute earlier every day hoping to gradual get into this habit....to no avail....I need at least 7 hours sleep or I am a bear to everyone around me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated......

2 alarm clocks.  That's what I do.  I set them off by a couple minutes, that way when I hit snooze the next one is going off again.

2011-04-19 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Or borrow my 17 year old's clock radio.....set it off down the hall at full volume.  He won't wake up, but everyone else in the zip code will!!

2011-04-19 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3454212

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
SSMinnow - 2011-04-19 5:46 AM

That is an awesome picture....how the heck did you two actually see each other in those masses? 

On another note....

Are you telling me your signing up for IM WI?  Lot is 11 acres so I could do a Woodstock thing if you like.

Wisconsin is the one Ironman that Kim wants to do.... I am going to invite myself and family over....

2011-04-19 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3454662

User image

Master
swbkrun - 2011-04-19 8:34 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-04-19 5:46 AM

On another note....

Wisconsin is the one Ironman that Kim wants to do.... I am going to invite myself and family over....

Can I get in as an alumni?!?

2011-04-19 3:51 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed

Wow, I have been such a bad MG member.  Kim and Linda, I am SO SORRY I wasn't around to pay the proper attention to such amazing accomplishments.  I have been rather distracted by my personal life but that is no excuse to not support my friends.  Beyond fantastic job both of you!!! I am super proud and again I am VERY SORRY!!!

Suzy - house?  Please refer me to the page this was discussed. I"ll need to catch up on this posting.  

I can't believe Rev3 is this close!

I know I haven't been around much so I will give a brief bio to catch up with the new members.

NAME: Tracy, 35 in Apex NC (just outside of Raleigh)

FAMILY:  2 daughters (8 and 10) and a hubby that also races.  He keeps kicking my a*s at races too so I'm going to have to start letting the air out of his tires in transitions. 

HISTORY: I've been racing triathlons for 5 years and am finally taking a bite of the big apple this fall: Ironman Canada!! I will be racing with another MG member Trevor.  I decided to hire a coach for this challenge and I'm very glad I did. I've already learned so much.

WHY I'M A GOOD MENTOR GROUP:  If you overlook my current absence, I've been around this group for 5 years and can sling the crap with the best of them.  I've been there with most of the fellow moms in the group with trying to balance work, family and training and it can certainly take it's toll on you.  Mom guilt is a powerful force.  I am still a BOPer but trying very hard to work my way up.  I've learned that what's important is to judge yourself only by what you know you can accomplish - not what others can do.  That is hard to do sometimes but this group is great in reminding me.  

2011-04-19 5:56 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Hey All...looks like you had a great day without me.  I am so bad at sitting in all day meetings.  One more day to go!

Wisconsin is under seige, freezing rain where I am with multiple car pile ups and 6-9" of snow expected at our house up north.  Will someone please send Spring our way?

Tracy--welcome back!  I am a little shell shocked that REV is so close and Tony has me a little concerned over the bike course.  I doubt I will have one ride outside before I hit TN.  Check my logs for a couple pics of the house.  The beauty is the lot and the proximity to the IM course....it looks much larger than it is because it's a ranch.  Very excited--move in will either be August or September (post IM).

To you people who are night worker outers, why do you think you need to change?  Because you miss workouts as the day ends?  Bodies are different.  If you can get those workouts done, does it really matter?  I am just learning how to run or ride in mid afternoon after an early morning something.  It's doable because I know it's on the plan, but I don't really like it, YET!

For those who want to actually do IM WI, I would host you for a training weekend....rules: no kids and no being pigs.   Oh and I never host people the night before a huge event.....too freaked out.

Later kids!

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-04-19 5:58 PM
2011-04-19 6:05 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

I found something interesting out today.  I am allergic to snow after tax season. 

But really, what is with the hail/snow/rain mix with 20* temps?  I am not okay with this.  This is the kind of weather that makes ALL of my previous injuries ache, and I feel like I'm 80!

Lastly, if anybody would like to take any of my exams for me, I pay well!  I know a certain MG member who I'm sure would LOVE to write my patent law test!  Wink 

But seriously, this next few weeks are going to be REALLY tough for me, so I would appreciate all the motivation you guys can give.  This time of the semester can do crazy things to people...

2011-04-19 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3454597

User image

Veteran

velcromom - 2011-04-19 11:09 AM Or borrow my 17 year old's clock radio.....set it off down the hall at full volume.  He won't wake up, but everyone else in the zip code will!!

Thanks everyone for the advice, ideas, myths,  funny reality(like the one above made me LOL I can relate), so now the pressure is on. I hate you all !!!

I love getting up early....I love getting up early.....I love getting up early......I love getting up early....is it working yet....I love getting up early......time to make the doughnuts(anybody old enough to remember that commercial)........I love getting up early.....I hate you all for the advice....I love getting up early.......I better go to bed......I love getting up early.....lay out my clothes.....I love getting up early......have a plan......I love getting up early...get a partner........

Well if anything writing this is making me sleepy......

2011-04-19 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3455494

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
SSMinnow - 2011-04-19 6:56 PM

Hey All...looks like you had a great day without me.  I am so bad at sitting in all day meetings.  One more day to go!

Wisconsin is under seige, freezing rain where I am with multiple car pile ups and 6-9" of snow expected at our house up north.  Will someone please send Spring our way?

Tracy--welcome back!  I am a little shell shocked that REV is so close and Tony has me a little concerned over the bike course.  I doubt I will have one ride outside before I hit TN.  Check my logs for a couple pics of the house.  The beauty is the lot and the proximity to the IM course....it looks much larger than it is because it's a ranch.  Very excited--move in will either be August or September (post IM).

To you people who are night worker outers, why do you think you need to change?  Because you miss workouts as the day ends?  Bodies are different.  If you can get those workouts done, does it really matter?  I am just learning how to run or ride in mid afternoon after an early morning something.  It's doable because I know it's on the plan, but I don't really like it, YET!

For those who want to actually do IM WI, I would host you for a training weekend....rules: no kids and no being pigs.   Oh and I never host people the night before a huge event.....too freaked out.

Later kids!

Well he11, I was going to sign up for IMWI and then leave my kids with you and stay in a hotel.  I guess I won't be signing up now!

2011-04-19 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3455646

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
bfwhitt - 2011-04-19 8:56 PM

velcromom - 2011-04-19 11:09 AM Or borrow my 17 year old's clock radio.....set it off down the hall at full volume.  He won't wake up, but everyone else in the zip code will!!

Thanks everyone for the advice, ideas, myths,  funny reality(like the one above made me LOL I can relate), so now the pressure is on. I hate you all !!!

I love getting up early....I love getting up early.....I love getting up early......I love getting up early....is it working yet....I love getting up early......time to make the doughnuts(anybody old enough to remember that commercial)........I love getting up early.....I hate you all for the advice....I love getting up early.......I better go to bed......I love getting up early.....lay out my clothes.....I love getting up early......have a plan......I love getting up early...get a partner........

Well if anything writing this is making me sleepy......

If you are hating us, we must be doing something right!

And time to make the donughts is not THAT old!!

Good luck in the morning.  Make us proud.

2011-04-20 1:40 AM

User image

Master

I'm glad someone's getting up early tomorrow - won't be me!! (6:30!!)  Stayed up late for:

Best playoff game yet this season!!  After falling to 4-0 in the 2d period, they roar back to tie it up in the 3rd and:    6-5 in OT

SHARKS!

And for Kim, the Giants won - again!!!

2011-04-20 5:17 AM

User image

Champion

It's Wednesday! Who's making history this weekend by toeing the line?  The scoop is required!

For the rest of us, what's the most important thing you do to stay healthy? why do you think it works? 

2011-04-20 6:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Operation Rip Van Winkle has begun:
Day 1:
Went to bed at 9:30 Alarm set for 5:00 am - get up at 4:20 WTF !Sleep was ok, wife was coughing intermitently throughout the night and my son woke me up around 12:30 laughing very loud at some show he was watching, wanted to go downstairs and throw the TV out the door. Anybody have an extra house/bedroom that is quiet that I can sleep in.

Some observations about the early morning:

1) It is dark out
2) It is very quiet
3) There are other people actually up doing things - are you kidding me
4) The dogs want to eat no matter what time it is
5) Coffee is especially gooooood
6) My body is saying ---WTF are you doing to me.
7) My brain is saying ....I love getting up early....over and over.....not sure it has convinced the body...

OK the training is done....

Can I go back to sleep now?
2011-04-20 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3455982

User image

Master

bfwhitt - 2011-04-20 4:08 AM Operation Rip Van Winkle has begun:
Day 1:
Went to bed at 9:30 Alarm set for 5:00 am - get up at 4:20 WTF !Sleep was ok, wife was coughing intermitently throughout the night and my son woke me up around 12:30 laughing very loud at some show he was watching, wanted to go downstairs and throw the TV out the door. Anybody have an extra house/bedroom that is quiet that I can sleep in.

1) It is dark out
2) It is very quiet
7) My brain is saying ....I love getting up early....over and over.....not sure it has convinced the body...

Awesome, Bruce!!! Perhaps you will come to embrace the mornings in due time. Way to go!! I'm most impressed by your bedtime! That's the hard part for me, is that I'm rarely in bed before 10:30. And yes, coffee is the bomb. What I want to hear is how you feel throughout the day! I'm sure you'll be tired, but having the workout done is a great feeling too. And with that, I'm off to ride my bike to nowheresville!!

2011-04-20 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3455956

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2011-04-20 5:17 AM

It's Wednesday! Who's making history this weekend by toeing the line?  The scoop is required!

For the rest of us, what's the most important thing you do to stay healthy? why do you think it works? 

No racing for me....my #1 tip for staying healthy is sleep, 7-8 hours every night (unless I'm traveling for work).  I got to bed roughly the same time weeknights or weekdays and wake up the same time too....for me, it makes a big difference.

2011-04-20 7:45 AM

User image

Master
SSMinnow - 2011-04-20 3:17 AM

No racing. I look at health in two ways -- injuries, and colds and such. Usually I don't have the former, but I do now, ha!! I think to prevent the former I listen to my body as much as I can and try not to do stupid things. Of course accidents happen, and I do think injury rate likely increases with age (I know 4 other 40-somethings with hamstring injuries in the past year.... of course none were in as good of shape as I am, ha ha!). Colds and such-wise, I eat well. I wash my hands. And I listen to my body -- get more rest if I'm feeling run down, hit my "go-to" cold plan if I feel something coming on (vitamins C & D and extra Green Vibrance, Umcka, Zinc).

2011-04-20 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Hey Bruce, congrats on dragging yourself out of bed and getting it done. 

I typically get my son off to school and then workout from around 730 or 8 till it gets done.  This morning I rode with my group at 530 and I must say that it is nice getting it done and out of the way.  Our early ride has been sidelined for the last couple of weeks after my wreck ... Smalley, who took the fall was the "leader" and organizer of our rides in the morning.  His fractured pelvis is healing though...good news.

This morning I rode my road bike.  Dang that thing is smooth.  My question is, do you guys feel like the tri bike is alot harsher ride than the roadie?

Seriously my roadie feels like a limo compared to the tri.  My tri bike has 21mm tires as opposed to 23.  Feels like any bump is likely to cause a loss of control, whereas the road bike handles so much better.  Is that typical?

2011-04-20 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3456089

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2011-04-20 7:45 AM

I typically get my son off to school and then workout from around 730 or 8 till it gets done.  This morning I rode with my group at 530 and I must say that it is nice getting it done and out of the way.  Our early ride has been sidelined for the last couple of weeks after my wreck ... Smalley, who took the fall was the "leader" and organizer of our rides in the morning.  His fractured pelvis is healing though...good news.

This morning I rode my road bike.  Dang that thing is smooth.  My question is, do you guys feel like the tri bike is alot harsher ride than the roadie?

Seriously my roadie feels like a limo compared to the tri.  My tri bike has 21mm tires as opposed to 23.  Feels like any bump is likely to cause a loss of control, whereas the road bike handles so much better.  Is that typical?

It is for me, but you know the RU has been a disaster....going to give it another whirl this year and hopefully stay upright.

2011-04-20 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3456078

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kkcbelle - 2011-04-20 6:41 AM

bfwhitt - 2011-04-20 4:08 AM Operation Rip Van Winkle has begun:
Day 1:

1) It is dark out
2) It is very quiet

Awesome, Bruce!!! Perhaps you will come to embrace the mornings in due time. Way to go!! I'm most impressed by your bedtime! That's the hard part for me, is that I'm rarely in bed before 10:30. And yes, coffee is the bomb. What I want to hear is how you feel throughout the day! I'm sure you'll be tired, but having the workout done is a great feeling too. And with that, I'm off to ride my bike to nowheresville!!

Congrats Bruce! Maybe we should have a Bruce blog today? Bruce can shoot a note every hour today telling us how he is feeling and what his thoughts are? Ha.

Good job sir!

2011-04-20 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3456089

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Plainsman AU - 2011-04-20 6:45 AM

I ride 23mm tires on my tri bike. But yes the road bike is a bit smoother.

2011-04-20 8:14 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2011-04-20 4:17 AM

No racing for me.

Knock on wood. Ok, I do not do anything special to stay healthy. But that being said, Michelle has had a light cold/fever chills,etc it seems like every 2 weeks this winter. I haven't gotten hit by anything all winter. I'd like to think that it has to do with my consistentcy working out and listening to my body. Taking a day off when I feel I need it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298