BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-11-12 3:52 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

I

Where does one get PB2?

2013-11-12 3:58 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by melbo55

I

Where does one get PB2?

I've seen it at sprouts, and Kroger for sure. I would guess whole foods has it as well
2013-11-12 4:15 PM

User image

Master

I

Where does one get PB2?

I was surprised. It was actually brought into our Wal-Mart. We don't have any local healthy/fresh food stores. Nearest Sprouts or T- Joe's are 40min (booo!), so I thought it might be awhile before I got any.

2013-11-12 4:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Oiginally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by rrrunner

Just bought it this weekend at a tri store in Phoenix (they are so much better there). I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but I'm excited to do so.

I'm seriously addicted to peanut butter so the recipe that was in the USATriathlon magazine this quarter is high on my list: page 19 http://content.yudu.com/A2ifov/USATriathlonFall13/resources/index.h...

Oooooooh....Just got it yesterday and hadn't opened it yet. Pg. 19 is yummy looking!  I don't have vanilla whey, though   Hmmmm....give chocolate a try?

CHECK THESE OUT...from same cookbook: http://www.thedailymeal.com/5-minutes-protein-truffles

I just might have the ingredients for the mocha java balls

Edited by 4agoodlife 2013-11-12 5:07 PM
2013-11-12 5:33 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Elite
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by 4agoodlife I found an interesting blog. Curious what others (especially those more medically inclined) think of this or if you've read about it before. Read it all if you open it...I found some of my questions answered at the end. http://athleticmedicine.wordpress.com/2013/11/07/why-ice-and-anti-i...

That's so funny, I was just reading this guy's blog a few days ago!  I forwarded it to my massage therapist/exercise physiologist person (if you read my log you know i love this woman!) and she said she had read his stuff before and "And there is much debate in the medical/athletic circles about icing, rest, and anti-inflammatories. No one seems to have the definitive answer, so I go with what I believe has been helpful to me. Who knows??? "  I have no particular opinion on the issue.

Just discussing this on FB.

Ben Greenfield response - he agrees anti inflammatories are counter productive but still stands by ice.

Others say a transdermal magnesium something works better than ice.

I stand by do what works for YOU
2013-11-12 5:35 PM

User image

Elite
Justin's Peanut Butter sachets - perfect.

2013-11-12 5:50 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jobaxas

Originally posted by 4agoodlife I found an interesting blog. Curious what others (especially those more medically inclined) think of this or if you've read about it before. Read it all if you open it...I found some of my questions answered at the end. http://athleticmedicine.wordpress.com/2013/11/07/why-ice-and-anti-i...

That's so funny, I was just reading this guy's blog a few days ago!  I forwarded it to my massage therapist/exercise physiologist person (if you read my log you know i love this woman!) and she said she had read his stuff before and "And there is much debate in the medical/athletic circles about icing, rest, and anti-inflammatories. No one seems to have the definitive answer, so I go with what I believe has been helpful to me. Who knows??? "  I have no particular opinion on the issue.

Just discussing this on FB. Ben Greenfield response - he agrees anti inflammatories are counter productive but still stands by ice. Others say a transdermal magnesium something works better than ice. I stand by do what works for YOU

Could you elaborate on or point to more on the "stands by ice"? Not sure of that's to be taken as using it all the time or in some limited fashion that differs from the blog post. Certainly do what works for you, but keep learning the "works" part. Seeing info on some things that can make us feel a bit better sooner, but don't do anything or can even slow the actual recovery, which is counterproductive towards performance gains. When that is the case, we may have been better off doing a bit less in the first place.

2013-11-12 6:17 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
oh goodness let me find his response lol...it links to his site somewhere

here's his stance on anti inflammatories

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/exercise/should-you...

and for ice

http://www./2012/09/burning-more-fat-with-cold/

sorry if links don't work paste into browser - i'm on work computer it's sh*t
2013-11-12 6:32 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I

Where does one get PB2?

We buy our protein and pb2 from dpsnutrition.com

I've also seen it in our grocery store.

And amazon has EVERYTHING.
2013-11-12 6:34 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master

Originally posted by bcraht

Originally posted by 4agoodlife I've never had long training runs. I don't care for idea of Gu after Waffle after Gu, and these seem simple to try. Time to experiment http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/best-running-fuels?cm_mmc=Twitter...

Erin, I used raisins for my first long training runs when I trained for a marathon.  Worked great.  Marshmallows sound fun, but I think would be hard to choke down.  Maybe the mini kind....

hehehe....I did think about how those big marshmallows would get stuck at first.

Even though I know they are really good for me, raisins are very low on my list of "yummy" dried fruit (oh! unless chocolate covered), but I saw mangoes and apples...those are tasty  

2013-11-12 6:44 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by jobaxas oh goodness let me find his response lol...it links to his site somewhere here's his stance on anti inflammatories http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/exercise/should-you... and for ice http://www./2012/09/burning-more-fat-with-cold/sorry if links don't work paste into browser - i'm on work computer it's sh*t

First link worked; second didn't.

Although I am curious about how what looks like the title -burning more fat with cold, is related to treating inflammation with ice.

2013-11-12 6:47 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Master

Originally posted by KansasMom

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by TriAya

Originally posted by jmkizer

Hold the phone!

What did I just read on Facebook?!

We're getting married

(talk about getting back into the pool)

DANG IT!

Hahaha!

Aware! Manatee MUAH HA HA HA HA ... what does that sound like ... blurplre bwah bwampflr ...

I'm glad that you and Erin are enjoying Mocking Me! 

Laughing WITH you, not at you. Totally believed it since she would totally do it...and now she probably will
I fell for it too. I guess I wanted it to be true.

Did you guys see her FB post this morning?

2013-11-12 6:48 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Did you guys see her FB post this morning?

Yeah, she swears it's true...... **think**
2013-11-12 8:11 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by jobaxas oh goodness let me find his response lol...it links to his site somewhere here's his stance on anti inflammatories http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/exercise/should-you... and for ice http://www./2012/09/burning-more-fat-with-cold/sorry if links don't work paste into browser - i'm on work computer it's sh*t

Although I am curious about how what looks like the title -burning more fat with cold, is related to treating inflammation with ice.

copying and pasting...

So Should You Ice After A Workout?
In the meantime, however, despite all the benefits of cold exposure, when it comes to using cold or icing post-workout, there seems to be a sudden doubting of icing’s efficacy across the internet and in several magazines.

The argument goes something like this: when an injury occurs, your body creates inflammation as a healing response. So if inflammation is the body’s natural way to heal an injury, why would you want to block this inflammatory process with ice?

Although I have a more comprehensive response to this argument against ice, forthcoming in Lava Magazine, I’ll give you 4 good reasons why, in addition to the cold thermogenesis benefits listed above, you actually should ice after a long or especially hard workout (and why I wear my tight, stretchy geeky pants post hard run or bike ride, filled with ice):

1. Ice does not completely reduce inflammation based swelling. But ice can prevent excessive swelling from occurring for a long period of time after the initial injury occurs. While some swelling certainly does important healing components such as white blood cells and other chemicals involved in the healing process to migrate into damaged tissues through increased vascular permeability, and also physically protects an injured area through decreasing it’s potential range of motion, there is no physiological reason to allow swelling to freely progress for hours or days after an injury occurs, especially if you’re smart enough to have ice around.

2. The cold temperature of ice can slow down nerve conduction velocity and shut down the activation of your muscle spindles, making it a highly effective pain reliever and muscle relaxant. If a muscle is in less pain and is more relaxed, then mobilization and movement become a reality, and a return to functional training status can occur much more quickly, which can limit muscle atrophy or loss of fitness.

3. Ice also reduces metabolic activity in the tissues that you ice, making them better able to resist the damaging effects of the impending loss of oxygen from inflammatory swelling pressure. In other words, lower tissue temperatures from icing means less oxygen is required by your muscles to sustain their integrity

4. Finally, as you learned in point 1, ice causes vasoconstriction, or shrinking of blood vessels. But unless you’re in extreme conditions where you must shuttle blood to your brain and vital organs to survive, your body will avoid tissue death by not allowing the body part you’re icing to cool excessively. Through a process called “reactive vasodilation” (also known as the Hunting reflex or Lewis reflex), your vessels, while being exposed to cold, create a negative pressure in the capillary system, which causes a pumping of inflammatory and metabolic byproducts out of an injured area, while allowing additional healing components such as macrophages and white blood cells to mobilize into the area. When combined with pressure and elevation, this “pumping” action of ice can be an extremely effective rehabilitation tool (and you can observe this in nature by simply jumping into a cold lake for about 20 minutes and watching your skin slowly turn red as reactive vasodilation occurs).

YOU'RE WELCOME

2013-11-12 9:06 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by 4agoodlifeI've never had long training runs. I don't care for idea of Gu after Waffle after Gu, and these seem simple to try. Time to experiment http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/best-running-fuels?cm_mmc=Twitter... on my long runs, I've been taking Bounty Bars by Mars. I don't know if you have them in the US, or whether they are called something different. They are little bars of shredded coconut encased in chocolate. I find them easy to eat whilst jogging because the coconut makes them moist. Packed full of calories with a good mix of carbs, proteins and fats. I don't know how they be in the heat you get, but they work for me and don't melt even when close to my body. For savoury, I carry a couple of sticks if peperami.
I absolutely LOVE coconut and chocolate! Mounds (dark chocolate/coconut) and Almond Joy are in my top 5 bars. I'll look up Bounty and compare them. Wikipedia says I can get them at World Market... I actually have one in town. I think I'll look up making my own, too. Can't be that hard to do :D
2013-11-12 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by ponderingfox

So, it turns out my coach is Starkowicz's coach.  That probably explains the extra bike work I'm doing.

Wait WHAT!!!!?

Yeah, and he came by the tri shop tonight.  I got to meet him and get a couple photos snapped.  It's not everyday one gets to meet someone of that caliber.  Unless your name is Jo, of course.

2013-11-12 9:36 PM

User image

Master

copying and pasting... So Should You Ice After A Workout? In the meantime, however, despite all the benefits of cold exposure, when it comes to using cold or icing post-workout, there seems to be a sudden doubting of icing’s efficacy across the internet and in several magazines. The argument goes something like this: when an injury occurs, your body creates inflammation as a healing response. So if inflammation is the body’s natural way to heal an injury, why would you want to block this inflammatory process with ice? Although I have a more comprehensive response to this argument against ice, forthcoming in Lava Magazine, I’ll give you 4 good reasons why, in addition to the cold thermogenesis benefits listed above, you actually should ice after a long or especially hard workout (and why I wear my tight, stretchy geeky pants post hard run or bike ride, filled with ice): 1. Ice does not completely reduce inflammation based swelling. But ice can prevent excessive swelling from occurring for a long period of time after the initial injury occurs. While some swelling certainly does important healing components such as white blood cells and other chemicals involved in the healing process to migrate into damaged tissues through increased vascular permeability, and also physically protects an injured area through decreasing it’s potential range of motion, there is no physiological reason to allow swelling to freely progress for hours or days after an injury occurs, especially if you’re smart enough to have ice around. 2. The cold temperature of ice can slow down nerve conduction velocity and shut down the activation of your muscle spindles, making it a highly effective pain reliever and muscle relaxant. If a muscle is in less pain and is more relaxed, then mobilization and movement become a reality, and a return to functional training status can occur much more quickly, which can limit muscle atrophy or loss of fitness. 3. Ice also reduces metabolic activity in the tissues that you ice, making them better able to resist the damaging effects of the impending loss of oxygen from inflammatory swelling pressure. In other words, lower tissue temperatures from icing means less oxygen is required by your muscles to sustain their integrity 4. Finally, as you learned in point 1, ice causes vasoconstriction, or shrinking of blood vessels. But unless you’re in extreme conditions where you must shuttle blood to your brain and vital organs to survive, your body will avoid tissue death by not allowing the body part you’re icing to cool excessively. Through a process called “reactive vasodilation” (also known as the Hunting reflex or Lewis reflex), your vessels, while being exposed to cold, create a negative pressure in the capillary system, which causes a pumping of inflammatory and metabolic byproducts out of an injured area, while allowing additional healing components such as macrophages and white blood cells to mobilize into the area. When combined with pressure and elevation, this “pumping” action of ice can be an extremely effective rehabilitation tool (and you can observe this in nature by simply jumping into a cold lake for about 20 minutes and watching your skin slowly turn red as reactive vasodilation occurs). YOU'RE WELCOME

ah-ha! Now I don't have to stay awake wondering all night.

I'll read and ponder. Thanks

2013-11-12 9:39 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master

So, it turns out my coach is Starkowicz's coach.  That probably explains the extra bike work I'm doing.

Wait WHAT!!!!?

Yeah, and he came by the tri shop tonight.  I got to meet him and get a couple photos snapped.  It's not everyday one gets to meet someone of that caliber.  Unless your name is Jo, of course.

Pics or it didn't....

Now post 'em up, lucky guy!

2013-11-12 9:48 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by jobaxas just getting changed for my rainy lunchtime run - shoes are at home. BUT they are new ones....here's a pic anyway.
I can't believe I'm saying this cause I'm not really a pink person but I love your new shoes Jo they are very cool! I finally managed to track down our race splits for our team HIM on Sunday and I am stoked! My swim time was 37 minutes flat. This is 8 minutes faster than my goal time and 3 minutes faster than my super secret "ain't gonna talk about in case I embarrass myself" goal. It's AMAZING what a favourable current and a wetsuit will do for you !

I missed this earlier. WOOT!  That's really awesome.  Way to get it done for the team (and your super secret goal).  

2013-11-12 9:58 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by cdban66

For the record, Judi is awesome!

I agree!

AWWWW, thanks 

I cannot take credit for the marathon prayer idea, but I think it is a great way to turn the hard thing into glory.

It is apparent that the training cycle has been tough on you, but you have been tougher! And your decision is really cool, so thus:

You are AWESOME!

^^^^ YES.

Missed this  earlier too

However, not seeing it in no way means I don't agree.

2013-11-12 10:04 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by 4agoodlife I've never had long training runs. I don't care for idea of Gu after Waffle after Gu, and these seem simple to try. Time to experiment http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/best-running-fuels?cm_mmc=Twitter...

I have been doing 1 power bar chew every other mile starting at mile 2.  When I need a break from these I take a bite from a bonk bar.  Seems to work far=irly well.

It can be a chore to find out what your tummy will be happy with for long runs.  I've found what works for ME is to have a couple of PowerBar chews every 45 minutes or so, a PayDay mini bar (thank you Halloween sized stuff!) at 2hrs as a treat to myself, a salt tab every hour (or 1 every 30 mins if it's ridiculously hot/humid out), and drinking water to thirst.  

However, take the above with a grain of salt as the only 2 marathons I've done have been at the end of IMs and I also LOVED having pretzels, coke and chicken broth on the course as the day wore on.   

I've got some chews I think. I'll give those a try soon. I really like Stinger Waffles, but don't see myself relying on them for the next 4 months.

Halloween sized Snickers saved my family from psycho mom a couple of times recently. Amazing what 80cal can do! lol 

2013-11-12 10:07 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I have been doing 1 power bar chew every other mile starting at mile 2.  When I need a break from these I take a bite from a bonk bar.  Seems to work far=irly well.

It can be a chore to find out what your tummy will be happy with for long runs.  I've found what works for ME is to have a couple of PowerBar chews every 45 minutes or so, a PayDay mini bar (thank you Halloween sized stuff!) at 2hrs as a treat to myself, a salt tab every hour (or 1 every 30 mins if it's ridiculously hot/humid out), and drinking water to thirst.  

However, take the above with a grain of salt as the only 2 marathons I've done have been at the end of IMs and I also LOVED having pretzels, coke and chicken broth on the course as the day wore on.   

Ok now I just want a payday bar. I've got this book on my holiday list - anyone use it? http://www.amazon.com/Feed-Zone-Portables-On-Go/dp/1937715000

Just bought it this weekend at a tri store in Phoenix (they are so much better there). I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but I'm excited to do so.

Why, thank you!

2013-11-12 10:23 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Recently, on my long runs, I've been taking Bounty Bars by Mars. I don't know if you have them in the US, or whether they are called something different. They are little bars of shredded coconut encased in chocolate. I find them easy to eat whilst jogging because the coconut makes them moist. Packed full of calories with a good mix of carbs, proteins and fats. I don't know how they be in the heat you get, but they work for me and don't melt even when close to my body. For savoury, I carry a couple of sticks if peperami.

I think it's really smart to start thinking about long run nutrition early on so that you can try different things. So, nice work!

It's totally alright to skip the gels and waffles and junk and eat real food, despite what the marketing might try and tell you. What they are generally offering is convenience, and while valuable in some cases, it's not everyone's priority.

Just try some stuff as you start to ramp up mileage and see what works for you. Don't forget to be smart about what you eat the days leading up and pre-run as well. Maybe even keep a food log so you can note the things that work and the things that don't. 

Not gonna lie, it's not real food but I've totally eaten a bag of mcnuggets, a foot long sub and a taco on a long run. 

Thanks! I'm trying to this "right" for me. I'm pretty sure over the course of all the training and during the race that my body is not going to be satisfied with only the convenient fuel. Doubt I'll try a foot long and taco and nuggets though  

I'll probably make notes in my log (like I did for a Gu I tried) since I keep pretty good track of my workouts.

Oh yeah...I've tried to reply to an inspire you sent, but it won't let me in (maybe for good reason ).

2013-11-13 7:23 AM

Master
Northern IL

copying and pasting... 

Thanks Jo!

2013-11-13 8:45 AM

Master
Northern IL

copying and pasting... So Should You Ice After A Workout? In the meantime, however, despite all the benefits of cold exposure, when it comes to using cold or icing post-workout, there seems to be a sudden doubting of icing’s efficacy across the internet and in several magazines. The argument goes something like this: when an injury occurs, your body creates inflammation as a healing response. So if inflammation is the body’s natural way to heal an injury, why would you want to block this inflammatory process with ice? Although I have a more comprehensive response to this argument against ice, forthcoming in Lava Magazine, I’ll give you 4 good reasons why, in addition to the cold thermogenesis benefits listed above, you actually should ice after a long or especially hard workout (and why I wear my tight, stretchy geeky pants post hard run or bike ride, filled with ice): 1. Ice does not completely reduce inflammation based swelling. But ice can prevent excessive swelling from occurring for a long period of time after the initial injury occurs. While some swelling certainly does important healing components such as white blood cells and other chemicals involved in the healing process to migrate into damaged tissues through increased vascular permeability, and also physically protects an injured area through decreasing it’s potential range of motion, there is no physiological reason to allow swelling to freely progress for hours or days after an injury occurs, especially if you’re smart enough to have ice around. 2. The cold temperature of ice can slow down nerve conduction velocity and shut down the activation of your muscle spindles, making it a highly effective pain reliever and muscle relaxant. If a muscle is in less pain and is more relaxed, then mobilization and movement become a reality, and a return to functional training status can occur much more quickly, which can limit muscle atrophy or loss of fitness. 3. Ice also reduces metabolic activity in the tissues that you ice, making them better able to resist the damaging effects of the impending loss of oxygen from inflammatory swelling pressure. In other words, lower tissue temperatures from icing means less oxygen is required by your muscles to sustain their integrity 4. Finally, as you learned in point 1, ice causes vasoconstriction, or shrinking of blood vessels. But unless you’re in extreme conditions where you must shuttle blood to your brain and vital organs to survive, your body will avoid tissue death by not allowing the body part you’re icing to cool excessively. Through a process called “reactive vasodilation” (also known as the Hunting reflex or Lewis reflex), your vessels, while being exposed to cold, create a negative pressure in the capillary system, which causes a pumping of inflammatory and metabolic byproducts out of an injured area, while allowing additional healing components such as macrophages and white blood cells to mobilize into the area. When combined with pressure and elevation, this “pumping” action of ice can be an extremely effective rehabilitation tool (and you can observe this in nature by simply jumping into a cold lake for about 20 minutes and watching your skin slowly turn red as reactive vasodilation occurs). YOU'RE WELCOME

ah-ha! Now I don't have to stay awake wondering all night.

I'll read and ponder. Thanks

To get the whole thing for the second article, put "burning-more-fat-with-cold" into google and it should come right up. Or add  bengreeenfieldfitness (.com) into the original after the www. Think Jo did it right originally, but the BT filter removes that part when putting it out directly (as she did) or even with a hyperlink.

That just made me think of  "I'm Oscar ... dotcom"

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.