BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-10-23 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2476193

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
ashort33 - 2009-10-23 1:45 PM

SSMinnow - 2009-10-23 1:05 PM

Heading to our house up north tomorrow.....predicting 5" of snow tonight and the a rain and snow mix for Saturday and Sunday. Ugh.

OWS then?

Hey, that's a good idea!  Let me find my ice pick!

Does anyone else have to deal with clicky, b#$chy triathletes?  I used to talk to a girl who just started out and now that she is member of one of the tri clubs she has turned into a total weenie.  Wouldn't get out of my way when I was trying to get to my locker and blah blahing about some upcoming race with all her clicky friends....I mean I could kick her A#$ on a short course, but she thinks she is now somewhere close to CW material.....really.

2009-10-23 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2476369

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2009-10-23 12:44 PM

Heading to our house up north tomorrow.....predicting 5" of snow tonight and the a rain and snow mix for Saturday and Sunday. Ugh.

OWS then?

Does anyone else have to deal with clicky, b#$chy triathletes?  I used to talk to a girl who just started out and now that she is member of one of the tri clubs she has turned into a total weenie.  Wouldn't get out of my way when I was trying to get to my locker and blah blahing about some upcoming race with all her clicky friends....I mean I could kick her A#$ on a short course, but she thinks she is now somewhere close to CW material.....really.

Sorry, can't help you there, Suzy, you guys are my only triathlon friends.  Really.  My one experience with a group was a woman's group and they were clicky as all get out.  I was new and just learning and peeps were not very friendly or welcoming.  Even the OWS groups that meet seem so clicky that I feel really intimidated showing up.  Most times, the guys are much nicer than the women.  Just my experience. 
2009-10-23 3:35 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2009-10-23 2:44 PM

people like her can be aggravating.  just try to laugh at em' suzy. and remember CW material includes being really cool.  clearly this chick ain't all that.

and/or f=ck with them.   i tend to go this route.  for example, next time she's in the pool, get in her lane, get in front of her, slow down and pee.   and to really fire her, stop in the middle of the pool and when she runs into you start laughing and tell her what you just did.  then dogpaddle away.  

2009-10-23 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2475730

User image

Expert
B'ham
BigReub - 2009-10-23 8:49 AM Be careful if you're ever riding in Louisville.  Steve Woeste is really pissed at 'us'
The following was in the Louisville paper this morning.

Tax this ‘hobby'

Roads cost money to build. Yet all the bicyclists think they are “entitled” to all roads without having to pay for any building or maintenance of those roads. The average car, all by itself, contributes thousands of dollars in taxes every year that are used to build and maintain those roads — while bicycles pay nothing. Yet bicyclists want one-third of every road set aside for their exclusive use — and they don't have to pay anything for it. What a deal for them. What a bad deal for everybody else with a different hobbyAnd don't try to tell me bicycle riding is anything but a hobby . I don't see any bicycles during the six months of the year it is cold, or the days it is raining. Definitely not a necessity, definitely not the only way to get around. Don't tell me it is a solution to congestion, because the bicyclists return to their cars all winter. I can go on and on.

The solution is easy. Collect a big bicycle tax, and set that money aside to pay to add the extra three feet to the roads that bicyclists are “entitled” to. The more bicycles, the more bicycle roads.

Now, if you really do think the government should pay for my hobbies , I'll take you up on that offer. I'm nearly out of basket weaving supplies, I need more bird seed, I need a gym closer to my house, I just can't live without …

STEVE WOESTE

Louisville 40241

This guy's argument doesn't hold water.  If the 'hobbists' are driving their cars half the year, they are already paying the same taxes as his lazy a$$. 

2009-10-23 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
What is everyone's opinion of hanging a bike by its wheels?  Or maybe one wheel against a wall?  I hang mine by the top tube - this is my wife's bike.  It's a Trek 7.3 FX with Bontrager Nebula wheels.

I really have no wall space to get another top tube hanger up.  I can, however, get hooks into the cieling so it'll be squeezed in between the garage door and some shelves.

What do you think?
2009-10-23 4:32 PM
in reply to: #2475730

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
BigReub - 2009-10-23 10:49 AM Be careful if you're ever riding in Louisville.  Steve Woeste is really pissed at 'us'
The following was in the Louisville paper this morning.

Tax this ‘hobby'

Roads cost money to build. Yet all the bicyclists think they are “entitled” to all roads without having to pay for any building or maintenance of those roads. The average car, all by itself, contributes thousands of dollars in taxes every year that are used to build and maintain those roads — while bicycles pay nothing. Yet bicyclists want one-third of every road set aside for their exclusive use — and they don't have to pay anything for it. What a deal for them. What a bad deal for everybody else with a different hobbyAnd don't try to tell me bicycle riding is anything but a hobby . I don't see any bicycles during the six months of the year it is cold, or the days it is raining. Definitely not a necessity, definitely not the only way to get around. Don't tell me it is a solution to congestion, because the bicyclists return to their cars all winter. I can go on and on.

The solution is easy. Collect a big bicycle tax, and set that money aside to pay to add the extra three feet to the roads that bicyclists are “entitled” to. The more bicycles, the more bicycle roads.

Now, if you really do think the government should pay for my hobbies , I'll take you up on that offer. I'm nearly out of basket weaving supplies, I need more bird seed, I need a gym closer to my house, I just can't live without …

STEVE WOESTE

Louisville 40241

Not to mention the tennis shoe tax the needs to be levied on all those crazy walkers and runners out there...taking up those roads and sidewalks.

2009-10-23 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2476622

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
BigReub - 2009-10-23 4:16 PM What is everyone's opinion of hanging a bike by its wheels?  Or maybe one wheel against a wall?  I hang mine by the top tube - this is my wife's bike.  It's a Trek 7.3 FX with Bontrager Nebula wheels.

I really have no wall space to get another top tube hanger up.  I can, however, get hooks into the cieling so it'll be squeezed in between the garage door and some shelves.

What do you think?

You just answered your own question...it IS your wife's bike right?   Really, I hang mine from the wheel...no problem.  And, I remember reading a thread a while ago agreeing that it should be OK as long as it is not a 1000 dollar zip or something.
2009-10-23 5:25 PM
in reply to: #2476622

User image

Expert
B'ham
BigReub - 2009-10-23 2:16 PM What is everyone's opinion of hanging a bike by its wheels?  Or maybe one wheel against a wall?  I hang mine by the top tube - this is my wife's bike.  It's a Trek 7.3 FX with Bontrager Nebula wheels.

What do you think?

We have 5 bikes hanging from the ceiling in the garage, no issues so far. 
2009-10-23 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
B'ham

I've done Yoga stretches before, but never been to a class.  I hit up one at my gym today during lunch and man, I feel like I've got whiplash - and unfortunately, not from checking out hotties stretching.  Other than that, it was a nice little workout.

2009-10-23 5:52 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
SSMinnow - 2009-10-23 12:44 PM

OWS then?

Gotta love the type A triathletes... If you want more of that just go to Slowtwitch, or in the front of the pack at any Ironman!  It is really annoying!  That is why this site is so great!!!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!  Linda- So happy to hear that things are going the right direction.  I don't know if you have already said this, but what the heck happen?  We know your son hit is head?  But did he fall skateboarding, biking, sports?  Boys being boys????
2009-10-23 6:16 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2009-10-23 2:44 PM

OWS then?

I guess clocking her is out of the question.  I dealt w/ a snobby masters group that is such a bunch of losers they can't find a real coach for the team.

2009-10-23 7:38 PM

User image

Sorry guys...guess I never really said what happend.  Here it is - it's gonna be long.......................
Monday we all went to the NC State Fair.  Kids were tracked out of school and hubby took the day off.  It was a nice day.
Did the usual fair stuff.  Then "on the way out" we stopped by the National Guard exhibit.  The boys are into army stuff and we have family in Afghanistan.  The National Guard had a tanker there that looks alot like the tanker their cousin is on.  Anyway, it was open to the public (one of the officers even told the kids to check it out) and everyone was allowed inside.  So all three kids asked to go in.  Of course I didn't think twice about it.  I was not interested in going in, so I sat right outside.  They had been in the tanker a few minutes and all of the sudden there was the loudest shot I have ever heard and looked up to see white smoke coming out of the back.  Then I see Connor come running out (everyone was running out - that bang was really LOUD) and he has what looks like a hole in his head about 1 inch wide and 2 inches long....of course blood is everywhere.  I instantly yelled "He's been shot".  I think the rest is pretty much in my log.

I have not seen the investigation report but I have a neighbor that is in the service, Homeland Security, and he has seen the report.  I understand the loud bang we heard was the Halon Fire Suppression System in the tank going off.  For some reason it was not disabled...and someone hit the button/switch so it went off.  It was so powerful that it threw Connor 
(we know the gas/burst made contact with Connor since his back is burned).  And with all the power it either threw him into something or something came flying at him and hit him in the head.

I have not seen the official report.  We have had no contact with the National Guard or State Fair personnel since we left in the ambulance Monday.  I am not sure the report will answer all the questions.  Connor remembers some of the events, but not all of them and I am not pushing him to remember.   I just really want him to move on and focus on recovery.

Pretty scary time!

Edited by Havin'Fun 2009-10-23 7:40 PM
2009-10-23 7:39 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Runners are the nicest people, followed by triathletes then cyclists I have found in my dealings.  I say unless they are cashing a paycheck at the end of these races, they need to lighten the F up!

I want to thank everyone for keeping me going over the last six months.  I am more of lurker than a poster but I am 2 weeks away from my goal and you guys have all helped a ton!  Great group. 
2009-10-23 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2476167

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
fattyfatfat - 2009-10-23 2:33 PM

I am Canadian.  We have some nice beaver.

You're killing me, John.  I'm a big Molson fan.  My wife's out with friends - I'm stuck at home with the kids with Bud Select - would it be horrible to load the kids up for a trip to the liquor store?

Linda, that is absolutely amazing.  We can be as careful as possible, but things still happen.  You are all still in my prayers.

Edited by BigReub 2009-10-23 8:09 PM
2009-10-23 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2476917

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Havin'Fun - 2009-10-23 5:38 PM Sorry guys...guess I never really said what happend.  Here it is - it's gonna be long.......................
Monday we all went to the NC State Fair.  Kids were tracked out of school and hubby took the day off.  It was a nice day.
Did the usual fair stuff.  Then "on the way out" we stopped by the National Guard exhibit.  The boys are into army stuff and we have family in Afghanistan.  The National Guard had a tanker there that looks alot like the tanker their cousin is on.  Anyway, it was open to the public (one of the officers even told the kids to check it out) and everyone was allowed inside.  So all three kids asked to go in.  Of course I didn't think twice about it.  I was not interested in going in, so I sat right outside.  They had been in the tanker a few minutes and all of the sudden there was the loudest shot I have ever heard and looked up to see white smoke coming out of the back.  Then I see Connor come running out (everyone was running out - that bang was really LOUD) and he has what looks like a hole in his head about 1 inch wide and 2 inches long....of course blood is everywhere.  I instantly yelled "He's been shot".  I think the rest is pretty much in my log.

I have not seen the investigation report but I have a neighbor that is in the service, Homeland Security, and he has seen the report.  I understand the loud bang we heard was the Halon Fire Suppression System in the tank going off.  For some reason it was not disabled...and someone hit the button/switch so it went off.  It was so powerful that it threw Connor 
(we know the gas/burst made contact with Connor since his back is burned).  And with all the power it either threw him into something or something came flying at him and hit him in the head.

I have not seen the official report.  We have had no contact with the National Guard or State Fair personnel since we left in the ambulance Monday.  I am not sure the report will answer all the questions.  Connor remembers some of the events, but not all of them and I am not pushing him to remember.   I just really want him to move on and focus on recovery.

Pretty scary time!

Wow!  Speechless. I can only imagine. Again so sorry! !
2009-10-23 8:45 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Havin'Fun - 2009-10-23 7:38 PM

Pretty scary time!

scary is right!  but that really makes me mad. 

2009-10-23 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Linda that is unbelievable.  Life can change in a split second.  Your son will be doing tri's with you before you know it!  My family is praying for your family's fast recovery.
2009-10-23 8:50 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Oh, Linda, prayers for Connor and all of you.  It is crazy that someone has not contacted you to at least find out how he is!  Omg, I don't know what to say, except that you are in my thoughts. 

2009-10-23 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2476953

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
BigReub - 2009-10-23 7:07 PM
fattyfatfat - 2009-10-23 2:33 PM

I am Canadian.  We have some nice beaver.

You're killing me, John.  I'm a big Molson fan.  My wife's out with friends - I'm stuck at home with the kids with Bud Select - would it be horrible to load the kids up for a trip to the liquor store?

Linda, that is absolutely amazing.  We can be as careful as possible, but things still happen.  You are all still in my prayers.

Come on up. I got enough here for all of us....Bring the kids!! I can keep them cool for a bit.
2009-10-23 9:09 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Havin'Fun - 2009-10-23 6:38 PM Sorry guys...guess I never really said what happend.  Here it is - it's gonna be long.......................

Pretty scary time!

That is unbelievable Linda. Wow. That kind of stuff only haapens to people we don't know. Or in the movies. NOt someone we know.
Like Chet said- He'll be doing tri's in no time.
2009-10-23 10:12 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Havin'Fun - 2009-10-23 7:38 PM Sorry guys...guess I never really said what happend.  Here it is - it's gonna be long.......................

Pretty scary time!

Linda, thanks for sharing.  That whole thing leaves me speechless. 

2009-10-23 10:18 PM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
I am praying for Connor.  That sounds awful.  Scary.  And well.......I'm so sorry that happened.

Danett
2009-10-24 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Linda That must have been one of the worst feelings ever. Thinking that your son had been shot and seeing him come running out like that. I can't even come close to imagining what it would be like. we are all there with you in sprit and are hoping and praying for all of you.

2009-10-24 6:06 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Just got back from the Columbia River Power Marathon. I'm not sure what my official time was, but it was just under 5 hours. I had a great time, enjoyed the course, and kept it at a pretty comfortable training pace. It was a fairly challenging course with a little over 5 miles on rough dirt road and about 5 miles of gradual, but constant incline along the highway with semi's flying by. Other than that, there were a few rollers and lots of beautiful scenery as we crossed Mcnary Dam and ran along the Columbia River.

Tomorrow's marathon... not gonna happen. It seems I'm not as crazy as I would like to think Someday I'll do a double, but I think I'll have to register for both in advance because it's pretty hard to go sign up for another 26 miles after just finishing 26

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Good luck tomorrow, Tony! You're going to do great!!!

Edited by roni_runnw 2009-10-24 6:56 PM
2009-10-24 6:10 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Linda- Thank you for sharing the story. I can only imagine how horrible this was. I am so sorry and will continue to pray for Connor's full and quick recovery. I am glad to hear things are moving in the right direction!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383