BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2008-05-20 3:23 PM
in reply to: #1354013

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED!
Not to rain on your parade, but are you sure you want to travel during an IM taper? Travel is an easy way to be exposed to germs (planes are germy), lose some sleep, get off your usual routine (especially with the 3-hr time change), add stress to your life, etc. All things you don't want during an IM taper.

2008-05-20 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1414381

User image

Sensei
Sin City
good points - since I get sick every time I fly it seems....
2008-05-20 3:40 PM
in reply to: #1414395

Champion
South Jersey

Aikidoman - 2008-05-20 4:27 PM good points - since I get sick every time I fly it seems....

Haha. I just came back to say that maybe I was just being a little neurotic with my post. I tend to get sick when I travel by plane as well. Usually not a full-blown illness, but some minor cold symptoms and feel run down.

2008-05-20 3:42 PM
in reply to: #1414459

User image

Sensei
Sin City
LaurenSU02 - 2008-05-20 1:40 PM

Aikidoman - 2008-05-20 4:27 PM good points - since I get sick every time I fly it seems....

Haha. I just came back to say that maybe I was just being a little neurotic with my post. I tend to get sick when I travel by plane as well. Usually not a full-blown illness, but some minor cold symptoms and feel run down.

Na, I was probably talking before I thought it through.  I just want to race on a flat course for once and "open her up".  I got excited about FL.

I heard the Cancun IM is flat as glass, and how could you beat Cancun!

2008-05-20 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
I'm looking into a flat IM for '09, but really I think I'll do an IM-distance not an official IM. Maybe Redman or the Great Illini, or the one in MD that is hard to spell. Any chance you want to do one of those?
2008-05-20 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1414520

User image

Sensei
Sin City

shiggy - 2008-05-20 2:04 PM I'm looking into a flat IM for '09, but really I think I'll do an IM-distance not an official IM. Maybe Redman or the Great Illini, or the one in MD that is hard to spell. Any chance you want to do one of those?

I'm up for any of them (as of now, before I have even done one!)  I may reconsider after Silverman.  I will look into them....

2008-05-20 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans

Whats up peeps? Sorry I haven't been to active lately. Stress levels are through the roof right now trying to get ready for my trip on Friday. Work is just a cluster, and I'm still under the weather. I don't feel too bad, but I've got this bad cough that's really frustrating me. But hopefully it'll be gone by this weekend.

My training is going to be low again this week for sure, but I got my bike shipped out today! It should get to Cali next Wed.

Hope you all are doing well and training is going good! 

2008-05-20 4:22 PM
in reply to: #1414566

User image

Sensei
Sin City
jjweav - 2008-05-20 2:21 PM

Whats up peeps? Sorry I haven't been to active lately. Stress levels are through the roof right now trying to get ready for my trip on Friday. Work is just a cluster, and I'm still under the weather. I don't feel too bad, but I've got this bad cough that's really frustrating me. But hopefully it'll be gone by this weekend.

My training is going to be low again this week for sure, but I got my bike shipped out today! It should get to Cali next Wed.

Hang in there....

2008-05-20 4:35 PM
in reply to: #1414566

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
jjweav - 2008-05-20 5:21 PM

Sorry to hear that! Do take care of yourself! It's okay to miss some training, you'll feel even better when you get back into it when you're ready. When I'm all stressed out I take 5-10min to type out all the crap in my head, (or write it by hand) it really helps! (and I really hope no one ever finds it).

2008-05-20 4:37 PM
in reply to: #1414543

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Aikidoman - 2008-05-20 5:11 PM

shiggy - 2008-05-20 2:04 PM I'm looking into a flat IM for '09, but really I think I'll do an IM-distance not an official IM. Maybe Redman or the Great Illini, or the one in MD that is hard to spell. Any chance you want to do one of those?

I'm up for any of them (as of now, before I have even done one!)  I may reconsider after Silverman.  I will look into them....

Cool! Seriously, some of these races have <20 women in them so I could have a shot at the podium just by finishing! Also, they all have HIMs too in the event that I chicken out.... it's a win win!

2008-05-21 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1414613

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

Hey everyone! Baby, Momma, and I all arrived home yesterday.  No sleep last night, got-up and swam hard this morning.  Still trying to get the water out of my ear.

Florida 70.3 is definitely on my short-list of HIMs for next year.  The alternative is the Miami Man HIM or a different half in upstate South Carolina in September.

It isn't anywhere near as hilly as some that you guys have seen, but a guy who's office is next door to mine said when he ran it 2 years ago, he was taken by surprise by the hills that they found and put into the course.  He said one of the aid stations was half-way up a hill.  I hope they've fixed that one. 

Boston, the hardest thing for you to get ready for with the Florida 70.3 is the humidity down here.  It's consistently 90+ degrees and 75-90% humidity.  Really uncomfortable.  Just warning you.

2008-05-21 10:28 AM
in reply to: #1415753

User image

Elite
far northern CA
GomesBolt - 2008-05-21 6:39 AM

Hey everyone! Baby, Momma, and I all arrived home yesterday.  No sleep last night, got-up and swam hard this morning.  Still trying to get the water out of my ear.

Florida 70.3 is definitely on my short-list of HIMs for next year.  The alternative is the Miami Man HIM or a different half in upstate South Carolina in September.

It isn't anywhere near as hilly as some that you guys have seen, but a guy who's office is next door to mine said when he ran it 2 years ago, he was taken by surprise by the hills that they found and put into the course.  He said one of the aid stations was half-way up a hill.  I hope they've fixed that one. 

Boston, the hardest thing for you to get ready for with the Florida 70.3 is the humidity down here.  It's consistently 90+ degrees and 75-90% humidity.  Really uncomfortable.  Just warning you.

Yay!  You are all home!!!  Glad to hear everyone is doing good!  Cheers!

2008-05-21 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1416063

User image

Sensei
Sin City
owl_girl - 2008-05-21 8:28 AM
GomesBolt - 2008-05-21 6:39 AM

Yay!  You are all home!!!  Glad to hear everyone is doing good!  Cheers!

Yes!  Very good....

I heard that a VERY important thing a husband can do is really be around that first couple weeks.  IE, bring the baby to mom for feeding so she doesn't have to get up, handling all the house hold stuff, etc.

Well, that's what I plan to do if/whenever.....

Have fun with the new one!

2008-05-21 12:33 PM
in reply to: #1415753

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
GomesBolt - 2008-05-21 9:39 AM

Welcome home!! Good luck with the whole no-sleep thing.... naps can really help with that! Glad to hear all are doing well!

2008-05-21 12:34 PM
in reply to: #1416125

User image

That is the best thing to do if possible.  Lucky for me, I have my mother at home taking care of my son so Jen has a little help.  Mother-in-law replaces her this weekend and she's super-helpful.  I didn't want to take too much leave right now because I want to be able to take some after my Mother-in-law takes-off in June.  Continuous coverage ya know?

Back to the FL 70.3, The registration starts July 1.  That's a Tuesday.  In case people are interested.  Is Disney really a 2-year-old place to go? Maybe we can get someone to stay with Emma while my wife and I take Jacob to Disney and then I run the HIM.  Seems the hotels probably pull the "you must sign-up for 2-nights or more" at that time of year at Disney.

Thanks for the advice on the Tri-Bike.  I think you just reaffirmed what I was thinking.  My only gauge of how much I need a bike was that I lifted my riding buddy's bike the other day and I thought "wow! that's light." Then I lifted mine to make sure I didn't have superhuman strength all of a sudden and had to go "ugh."

One guy in a magazine said to go to the bike shop and tell them you want to test-ride the $7K bike and then go to a different shop and ride the bike you can afford and try to tell them what you want out of it.  His implication was that if they think you're willing to spend $7K, they'll set it up really nice.  If you're spending $2K they probably want you in and out but if you can tell them what's not right, you'll get a better setup for you. 

2008-05-21 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1416427

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Did they have a tri bike or road bike?

Just to ease your mind a little, tri bikes are less concerned about weight and more concerned about aerodynamics than a road bike.  In general, all but the most expensive tri bikes are going to be heavier than most road bikes.....

My tri bike comes in at about 22-24 lbs with all the acutriments.

I think Lauren's bike is a light weight, but that costs $$$$$.

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-05-21 12:44 PM

2008-05-21 12:55 PM
in reply to: #1416458

Champion
South Jersey
Aikidoman - 2008-05-21 1:43 PM

Just to ease your mind a little, tri bikes are less concerned about weight and more concerned about aerodynamics than a road bike.  In general, all but the most expensive tri bikes are going to be heavier than most road bikes.....

My tri bike isn't much/any lighter than my road bike. But yes, aero trumps weight.

2008-05-21 12:57 PM
in reply to: #1416458

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Aikidoman - 2008-05-21 1:43 PM

True in my case. My road bike is way lighter than my tri bike. I am not much faster on the tri bike than the road bike (yes biking is my weakest sport) but I do notice a big difference when I go to run afterwards. Feels much better running off the tri bike.

2008-05-21 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1416427

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
GomesBolt - 2008-05-21 1:34 PM

Back to the FL 70.3, The registration starts July 1.  That's a Tuesday.  In case people are interested.  Is Disney really a 2-year-old place to go? Maybe we can get someone to stay with Emma while my wife and I take Jacob to Disney and then I run the HIM.  Seems the hotels probably pull the "you must sign-up for 2-nights or more" at that time of year at Disney. 

Glad to hear things are going well.  Where did you see the registration date?  I couldn't find it.  As far as a 2 year old goes, we brought we the kids down there in Sept when Noah was almost 2.5 and Lily was 6mos.  It was ok.  There is enough going on to keep him occupied.  He was a bit irritable because of the heat and we had already been in FL for 5 days.  We tried to fit a ton of stuff into each day, but I think it's doable.  Just plan on taking naps during the day.  You should look at staying outside the park as well, may be cheaper. 

2008-05-21 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1416512

User image

Boston Beginner - 2008-05-21 1:58 PM
GomesBolt - 2008-05-21 1:34 PM

Glad to hear things are going well.  Where did you see the registration date?  I couldn't find it.  As far as a 2 year old goes, we brought we the kids down there in Sept when Noah was almost 2.5 and Lily was 6mos.  It was ok.  There is enough going on to keep him occupied.  He was a bit irritable because of the heat and we had already been in FL for 5 days.  We tried to fit a ton of stuff into each day, but I think it's doable.  Just plan on taking naps during the day.  You should look at staying outside the park as well, may be cheaper. 

It's at this site:

http://www.floridahalfironman.com/

The article posted today.

If we're going to take naps, we would probably want to be in-the-park.  I'll see if I can talk the wife into it before July 1.  If not, I'll sleep in the car... Just kidding.

2008-05-21 6:26 PM
in reply to: #1416671

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Wanted to send my efriends some inspires, but I thought it would be easier this way.  Taking the "shotgun" approach.

I'm heading to the east coast for a while, so I'll most likely not be around.  Everyone have a good week!  Train hard and train safe!

See Ya!

2008-05-21 9:12 PM
in reply to: #1417671

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Aikidoman - 2008-05-21 7:26 PM

Wanted to send my efriends some inspires, but I thought it would be easier this way.  Taking the "shotgun" approach.

I'm heading to the east coast for a while, so I'll most likely not be around.  Everyone have a good week!  Train hard and train safe!

See Ya!

Have a safe trip.  Where are you heading?  It is supposed to be getting real warm around here.  I bet you could have used the 60's we have had the past couple of weeks.

2008-05-22 8:19 AM

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been on the forums much or sending out inspires.  My computer at home is on the fritz.  I think I have narrowed it down to a bad RAM chip but I'm going to have to run a few tests to be sure.  I've also been pretty lazy this week about working out and I don't think tonight will be much different. 

My gf got tickets to a comedy show so we are going to go for dinner and then to the show.  I don't exactly know how I am going to keep to my diet at Max & Erma's, but I am going to give it a try.

I promise that my workouts will become more stable once this week is over and I am feeling a bit better. 

2008-05-22 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1417671

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Aikidoman - 2008-05-21 7:26 PM

See Ya!

Enjoy your trip!!  

2008-05-22 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Happy training to all of you! I too am heading out for a full week.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 66