General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2010-04-20 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2805163

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread
furiousferret - 2010-04-20 1:09 PM Everyone talking about compacts and 12-27's has me worried,  Its not that bad is it?  I'm still planning on going with a 50/34 and a 11-25 in back...

So for my first IM I'm trying to crunch estimates of my finish time but they're all over the board; anywhere from 12:45 to 15:30.  The only thing I do know is that my swim will be long, probably about 1:45.  I can pace 1:55/100 in a pool, but my sighting is still horrid, at my last tri I went off at a 45 degree angle and lost ALOT of time.  On the plus side a lifeguard told me I have the strongest right hand she's ever seen!  I'll probably do about 5 ows between now and the race to correct it.

My biggest concern of course is getting on the bike with only an 8 hour window to finish; that should be plenty of time for me so long as I don't bonk, crash, etc.

This is my honest to god's opinion...  You should be fine unless you are a week cyclist.  Granted, I have not done the actual course, but when I map it, it seems pretty easy.  A lot of little rollers (if that) for the first 30 miles, but it's mostly flat.  No real elevation loss or gain.  Then the loop starts.  About 25 miles of 1-2 percent.  Yeah, that kind of tilt will slow ME down to 13-14 mph in most cases, but I'm NEVER in my small gear unless I'm also fighting a huge headwind (which we get a lot around here).

I think the worry may stem from a section of road near the top of the climb that's rumored to be 3/4 miles long or so and is 12%.  I think you could just gut that out since it's not that long.

My personal take on this course is that it may be hilly with respect to Ford IM standards, but it's really not bad.  It's not silverman or HHH or the like.  Maybe it's just perspective, since I can't ride a 100 miles in any direction around here an not also get 4000-5000 of vert thrown in.  I do all of that in my compact and 11-25 or 12-27, but never touch the 25 or 27.  Probably a couple gears above that.  On a good day, probably never leave the big ring in front either.

BTW, I'm big and slow, so I'm at a disadvantage as well.

2010-04-20 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2803020

User image

furiousferret - 2010-04-19 6:38 PM

I've been looking at some of the training rides on Garmin Connect, and it does have me concerned most people are doing the 112 ride in around 6:15 to 7:15, which works out to about a 15-18 average.  For those who have done the preview, Is that about right?

My two times on the course:  yes. 
2010-04-20 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
furiousferret - 2010-04-20 1:09 PM Everyone talking about compacts and 12-27's has me worried,  Its not that bad is it?  I'm still planning on going with a 50/34 and a 11-25 in back...

So for my first IM I'm trying to crunch estimates of my finish time but they're all over the board; anywhere from 12:45 to 15:30.  The only thing I do know is that my swim will be long, probably about 1:45.  I can pace 1:55/100 in a pool, but my sighting is still horrid, at my last tri I went off at a 45 degree angle and lost ALOT of time.  On the plus side a lifeguard told me I have the strongest right hand she's ever seen!  I'll probably do about 5 ows between now and the race to correct it.

My biggest concern of course is getting on the bike with only an 8 hour window to finish; that should be plenty of time for me so long as I don't bonk, crash, etc.

On the gearing:  With the compact crank, you'll probably be just fine with the 25t in the back.  A lot of people (like me) who are putting on 27's are riding 53/39's.

I bet you'll finish in less than 1:45 if you're swimming 1:55/100 in the pool.
2010-04-20 3:56 PM
in reply to: #2805304

User image

Sensei
Sin City
SAquavia - 2010-04-20 1:50 PM
furiousferret - 2010-04-19 6:38 PM

I've been looking at some of the training rides on Garmin Connect, and it does have me concerned most people are doing the 112 ride in around 6:15 to 7:15, which works out to about a 15-18 average.  For those who have done the preview, Is that about right?

My two times on the course:  yes. 

I'm 99.9% sure I will be in that range.
2010-04-20 4:00 PM

User image

Expert
furiousferret - 2010-04-20 2:09 PM Everyone talking about compacts and 12-27's has me worried,  Its not that bad is it?  I'm still planning on going with a 50/34 and a 11-25 in back...

I'm riding a 53/39 with a 12-25 in back.  I rode this during my route preview and found this very manageable.  The hills are long but not that steep.
2010-04-20 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2804366

User image

Expert
Sully_Joe - 2010-04-20 10:33 AM

So am I being stupid for thinking that you can gain some time and increase your average on the down hill portion of the loop? 

I found the downhills scary fast and was not able to ever really get comfortable in the aerobars.  The road is just too rough.  With a crowd, it will be slower and I'll need to be on my toes watching for tired riders.  All this has made me plan on RECOVERY only on the downhill portion.  Too much to risk to go down at 35-40 mph.  I just won't do it.

2010-04-20 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2805321

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Let me be the voice of reason????

Everyone, take a deep breath and relax.  I know we have all put in a LOT of time and effort for this but don't let the typical "pre-IM" jitters get too you too bad.  If you are ready, you are ready, the weather, temp, hills, etc will impact you, but shouldn't be enough to cause a DNF unless you were on the border anyway.  The weather forcasts are still 10 days out.  Rainy days will shift a day or two before then, I'm guessing.

Relax, enjoy your taper, go over your mental checklist, visualize a good swim/bike/run/race...  It's going to be a BLAST.  Such a big race, so many people, the atmosphere, hearing you name "YOU, are and Ironman"... Can't wait.

2010-04-20 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2805288

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Kido - 2010-04-20 1:46 PM

This is my honest to god's opinion...  You should be fine unless you are a week cyclist.  Granted, I have not done the actual course, but when I map it, it seems pretty easy.  A lot of little rollers (if that) for the first 30 miles, but it's mostly flat.  No real elevation loss or gain.  Then the loop starts.  About 25 miles of 1-2 percent.  Yeah, that kind of tilt will slow ME down to 13-14 mph in most cases, but I'm NEVER in my small gear unless I'm also fighting a huge headwind (which we get a lot around here).

I think the worry may stem from a section of road near the top of the climb that's rumored to be 3/4 miles long or so and is 12%.  I think you could just gut that out since it's not that long.

There's a roughly .2 mile by .2 mile breakdown of the grade over in the IMSG thread at iamtri.com and according to that analysis there are 5 sections of the course, including 4 in the loop, that are 10%+ grade, two of those are 14%+ (including the top of that 3/4 mile climb you mention).  Definitely the bulk of the course is false flats or downhills, but I counted around 40 0.2 mile sections in that analysis that were above 5% grade (meaning about 8 total miles of grade that will get your attention to deal with over the whole ride).
2010-04-20 4:34 PM
in reply to: #2223820

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
Ok.... breathe....

At this point it is too late to do any extra training for the hills. They are there. We will go up them. About the only thing we can control is how we prepare for the water temps and weather conditions. I am planning on bringing the neoprene for the water and layers for the bike and run. I rode that course between Christmas and New Years during a blizzard. A little rain doesn't scare me much after that.

So. . . how is everyone dealing with this mentally?

What are we all doing right now to stay sane and not drive our loved ones absolutely crazy?

What plans are we all putting in place to help us stay strong on the course when the going gets tough?
2010-04-20 5:02 PM

User image

It all depends on how strong a cyclist you are.  I think the 50/34 will help.  I rode the course 2x on a 52/39 and 12-25, and it was largely "OK" except for the two killer hills.  They will simply suck on the gearing I had - but they are doable. 

This is a course where I think 80% of the time, standard gearing is fine.  But, there will be about 3-5 miles per loop where something like I was running will hurt the average rider, and require him/her to be even more diligent about pacing and recovery elsewhere on the course. 

I've since shifted to a 11-28 in back, and I'm much more confident I can spin up those grades and will need to be less careful than if I were on the 12-25.

2010-04-20 5:10 PM
in reply to: #2805434

User image

gcirongirl - 2010-04-20 2:34 PM Ok.... breathe.... At this point it is too late to do any extra training for the hills. They are there. We will go up them. About the only thing we can control is how we prepare for the water temps and weather conditions. I am planning on bringing the neoprene for the water and layers for the bike and run. I rode that course between Christmas and New Years during a blizzard. A little rain doesn't scare me much after that. So. . . how is everyone dealing with this mentally? What are we all doing right now to stay sane and not drive our loved ones absolutely crazy? What plans are we all putting in place to help us stay strong on the course when the going gets tough?

I'm looking at this as a celebration of every 5:00 am swim session, long ride, endless run, and synthetically engineered food/drink mix.  It's time to PARTY on the roads of St. George!!!

I'm seriously considering filling one of my Fuel Belt bottles with vodka and orange juice.  I figure it's the perfect cocktail!  Juice for energy and vitamin C, and vodka for pain management.  (Yes, this is my first IM....and no, I'm not really serious...well, not 100%....kind of....Grey Goose I think...

2010-04-20 7:24 PM
in reply to: #2805477

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
SAquavia - 2010-04-20 3:02 PM

It all depends on how strong a cyclist you are.  I think the 50/34 will help.  I rode the course 2x on a 52/39 and 12-25, and it was largely "OK" except for the two killer hills.  They will simply suck on the gearing I had - but they are doable. 

This is a course where I think 80% of the time, standard gearing is fine.  But, there will be about 3-5 miles per loop where something like I was running will hurt the average rider, and require him/her to be even more diligent about pacing and recovery elsewhere on the course. 

I've since shifted to a 11-28 in back, and I'm much more confident I can spin up those grades and will need to be less careful than if I were on the 12-25.

After reading this, I'm not too concerned.  I'm a decent cyclist, I should be able to pull out roughly a 7:00;  I could probably cut off more but I really want to treat the bike like a recovery ride so I have something left for the run.
2010-04-20 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2805434

User image

Master
Redlands, CA

gcirongirl - 2010-04-20 2:34 PM Ok.... breathe.... At this point it is too late to do any extra training for the hills. They are there. We will go up them. About the only thing we can control is how we prepare for the water temps and weather conditions. I am planning on bringing the neoprene for the water and layers for the bike and run. I rode that course between Christmas and New Years during a blizzard. A little rain doesn't scare me much after that. So. . . how is everyone dealing with this mentally? What are we all doing right now to stay sane and not drive our loved ones absolutely crazy? What plans are we all putting in place to help us stay strong on the course when the going gets tough?

I just want to get it over with...its all I think about.

It reminds me when I was in Kuwait and a week from going home you'd count it down to the minutes you were leaving. 

I also found out that there's a good chance my wife can't make it; she has to fly out to Denver that week and is trying to find a way to get there; that really only bothers me because my Ironman isn't supposed to play out with me finishing the race with no support group.  I know it sounds childish but imagined seeing my wife there at the finish.

As for the race, I'm not to worried; I run, bike, and swim almost everyday.  To be quite honest I'm more nervous about interacting with the other athletes more than anything.  I have to somehow stow my inhaler during the swim and I really am not looking forward to some of the looks and comments I may get for having an inhaler on my wetsuit zipper or in my sleeve.

2010-04-20 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2805490

User image

Cedar Park
SAquavia - 2010-04-20 5:10 PM

I'm looking at this as a celebration of every 5:00 am swim session, long ride, endless run, and synthetically engineered food/drink mix.  It's time to PARTY on the roads of St. George!!!

I'm seriously considering filling one of my Fuel Belt bottles with vodka and orange juice.  I figure it's the perfect cocktail!  Juice for energy and vitamin C, and vodka for pain management.  (Yes, this is my first IM....and no, I'm not really serious...well, not 100%....kind of....Grey Goose I think...

Amen!!!!

This is how I am looking at it.  We have deposited money in the bank for months now.  Come the 1st it is time to withdraw and have some fun!!!!

2010-04-20 10:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix
Why am I reading this stuff? F*&k it. It's too late to do anything about the course. It is what it is.
2010-04-20 10:43 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
I am open to any woman on this board smacking my as they pass me on the run. That would motivate me just fine.

Mike

2010-04-21 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern California
Water temp is up to 61* as of yesterday. A few more sunny days and it will be a really nice swim.
2010-04-21 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2805351

User image

Expert
Kido - 2010-04-20 3:04 PM

Let me be the voice of reason????

Everyone, take a deep breath and relax.  I know we have all put in a LOT of time and effort for this but don't let the typical "pre-IM" jitters get too you too bad.  If you are ready, you are ready, the weather, temp, hills, etc will impact you, but shouldn't be enough to cause a DNF unless you were on the border anyway.  The weather forcasts are still 10 days out.  Rainy days will shift a day or two before then, I'm guessing.

Relax, enjoy your taper, go over your mental checklist, visualize a good swim/bike/run/race...  It's going to be a BLAST.  Such a big race, so many people, the atmosphere, hearing you name "YOU, are and Ironman"... Can't wait.

Thanks Kido.  I really needed your advice.  I cannot wait to have my medal around my neck and see the proud look on my 3 boys faces.  This is the first IM that they will be attending.  What an experience for them and me.  Too bad IM banned family participation in finish line crossings!
2010-04-21 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2806098

User image

Expert
Rollin' Thunder - 2010-04-20 9:43 PM I am open to any woman on this board smacking my as they pass me on the run. That would motivate me just fine. Mike

I would like to second this but make it a request.  When you "chick" me, let me know I have really been "chicked" with an slap or even grab!  Number 1319 will be marked on my right calf with a 35 on my right.  Grab/slap away!
2010-04-21 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2805708

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
furiousferret - 2010-04-20 8:33 PM

I just want to get it over with...its all I think about.

It reminds me when I was in Kuwait and a week from going home you'd count it down to the minutes you were leaving. 

I also found out that there's a good chance my wife can't make it; she has to fly out to Denver that week and is trying to find a way to get there; that really only bothers me because my Ironman isn't supposed to play out with me finishing the race with no support group.  I know it sounds childish but imagined seeing my wife there at the finish.

As for the race, I'm not to worried; I run, bike, and swim almost everyday.  To be quite honest I'm more nervous about interacting with the other athletes more than anything.  I have to somehow stow my inhaler during the swim and I really am not looking forward to some of the looks and comments I may get for having an inhaler on my wetsuit zipper or in my sleeve.

Chris,
I hope your wife can make it out. My only gripe with this being my first IM is that my wife is only a few weeks from delivering our fourth child and she can't travel out to St George from Atlanta. It's going to be a magical moment that I'll probably end up hugging a volunteer!
I'll be jealous of all those support groups out there, and I'm going to take all of the cheers along the way that I can get!

2010-04-21 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2807010

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Speaking of arse smacking...  What happen at an IM, STAYS at an IM...  Or at least that's how I think it goes... 

2010-04-21 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2805708

User image

Sensei
Sin City
furiousferret - 2010-04-20 5:33 PM

Dude, I hear ya.  I'm going solo and finishing that race is going to be amazing, but it would be nice to get a hug from someone you care about...

I don't think it's childish ONE BIT.  This is a huge deal and not most people can't even comprehend doing them, much less actually finishing.  Crap, WAY more people graduate from HS than finish an IM and you would not DREAM of missing that.

Maybe because this is something we choose to do?  Finishing an IM, no matter how fast/slow is a huge accomplishment to be shared IMO (or it would be nice to share).  It's not like a sprint or oly or maybe even an HIM where you can sort of "fake it" with minimal or zero training.

I have been trying to recruit friends to go up and offered to but all their meals and share my room for free, just to have someone there.  No luck.

2010-04-21 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2807115

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I didn't want this to get lost in the above post...  BUT had a thought.  I will try to look back at this thread and compile a list of BT racers and their numbers.

Perhaps, if the timing is right, we can cheer/find each other at the finish or on the course to say hi/encourage.
2010-04-21 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2806768

User image

Cedar Park
bwiens - 2010-04-21 9:37 AM Water temp is up to 61* as of yesterday. A few more sunny days and it will be a really nice swim.

Hell YA!!!!!!  It is going to be a great day.  Just shipped my bike off.  Back on the trainer for a couple of days. 
2010-04-21 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
Bike dropped off today.... I'll see you next wednesday.   I'm so glad my cold has resolved and my ankle is back to normal!

The wife and kids are staying home this time around.  Just a guys trip for me!  IM race then some recovery days in Las Vegas.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 43