Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2013-04-11 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4696423

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: 'The' Gun Thread

pitt83 - 2013-04-11 11:04 AM You're into hyperbole here. That is not the issue under discussion.

So then Pitt, serious question. Do you not understand and care about the underlying principle of RTBA?

If you wish to have an honest discussion about the problem, and various solutions to it, can you not understand the importance of honoring the RTBA?

What seems to happen is that those for gun control don't personally care about guns and see no reason why anyone else would either. So then it is easy to just slap a law across the problem to limit guns... but that does not honor the principle behind the Bill Of Rights, and what inalienable rights are.

You throw out nice disclaimers like... sure, I have no problem with you checking out your bolt action rifle from the police to go shoot a deer once a year... So I am OK with gun ownership.... but that is not what the RTBA is.

If you would sit down and say that the 2A is, and we are not going to trample anyones rights, but what can we do about violence and crime in this country... well then we can have an honest dicussion and perhaps work on some things both sides can accept... but that is not what is happening, and all that is happening is both sides get more entrenched.

The only hitch in all this is the 2A and SCOTUS. Either repeal it, or honor it. But saying you are honoring it, while finding more ways to restrict it does not solve problems.

2013-04-11 1:39 PM

User image

pitt83 - 2013-04-11 10:04 AM
Brock Samson - 2013-04-11 1:02 PM
pitt83 - 2013-04-11 12:09 PM
Brock Samson - 2013-04-11 11:55 AM

To Pitt83, who I have to admit has valiantly stuck his hand into a hornets nest and has bravely, articulately argued his pro-gun control position, I have a question...

Assume that the Feinstein Assault Weapons Ban was passed without change, and the Toomey Background check bill passed without change...how would that have prevented Newtown?

Newtown is the stated impetus for all of these (Although we know that's not true because Feinstein had her bill drafted and ready to go prior to the Newtown shooting, she just used the Newtown shooting to unveil the draft).  The stated proposal by people like Feinstein, The President and the Vice President is to prevent another Newtown.  I believe the VP stated the same two days ago...

So how would ANY of these proposals, if in place prior to Newtown, have stopped that incident?  The reality is that they wouldn't have...

If the proposed bills are, or would be, or will be, ineffective to accomplish its stated goal, then what is it's real purpose?

I submit there are two real purposes and Newtown has nothing to do with these purposes.  THe first is that there is a group of ultra liberals that are  flat out anti-gun.  As a belief they do not believe in an individuals right to have a firearm and believe that the world would be better off if individual ownership of firearms was eliminated.  I believe that to this group of radical ultra liberals  these legislations are a "good first step" or getting the camels head in the tent so to speak.  The second reason is purely political.  The majority of those that espouse support for such legislation, have artfully used Newtown as a wedge issue, they have proposed legislation that they know has absolutely no chance of passage, and that much of which is probably unconstitutional.  They have packaged the notion of this legislation, with the express help of the press, as reasonable responses to a tragic circumstance.  That these proposals will in fact curtail violence, especially against children, and make our streets safer.   Additionally, artfully and skillfully arguing that being against these reasoned responsible legislative efforts is being for violence and against safety.  The end game is the 2014 elections. 

Of these I believe the greatest reality is the second.

OK Brock: Well said. I agree with you on many levels. No, in isolation, none of what is on the floor would have prevented Newtown. The root causes of the are Adam Lanza's mental illness and a mother who made the HORRIBLE decision to buy an arsenal and encourage and enable her son to use it. I don't propose we legislate parenting even when it's as agregiously bad as this. She paid with her own life because of her poor parenting. It's been acknowledged by the parents of the murder victims that today's legislation changes nothing in the past. President Obama acknowledges the same. I do as well. It's the future I and these others wish to affect. However, I think, if we are honest with ourselves: The status quo is terribly ineffective. Lots of rhetoric about why and how to fix the status quo. All of it valid and all of it contributory. What I hope for (and I consider myself a left-leaning thinker as most know) is that we all agree the status quo doesn't work. Laws aren't followed (see the lack of checking ID on that gun show video as a clear example), criminals have too easy a time obtaining weapons, mental illness is stigmatized, held in secrecy, shameful to most and ineffectively treated. All of these need discussed, homogenized and fixed to proved a balanced solution to a terribly poor status-quo. I hope you're wrong about being purely politically motivated. I'd like to believe my representatives, once in a while when an issue is this significant, they vote with their constituents in mind. You're pobably right though.

Pitt83 let me ask you one more question, would your thoughts on gun legislation and how it is currently being effectuated change if instead of "guns and ammunition" we were talking about Free speech or the use of the internet?

I can make a pretty compelling argument that speech and ideas are far more dangerous and have caused far more deaths and atrocities then guns have.  So why not limit the right of free speech in the same manner as guns all in the name of safety for the greater good?

You're into hyperbole here. That is not the issue under discussion.

How is that hyperbole?

2013-04-11 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4696605

User image

Pro
tealeaf - 2013-04-11 1:31 PM
bcart1991 - 2013-04-11 2:25 PM
jeffnboise - 2013-04-11 12:32 PM PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!

Look, we disagree on this issue but your voice is crucial.  A spirited, public debate really IS the best path to 'reasonable' measures that EVERYONE can live with.  (Aplogies in advance if I don't word this correctly) If you go through with your vow you will simply become one of the Far Left/far Right stereo-types that make 'wedge' issue politics so effective.  Stay Engaged...Stay Vocal....I have learned SO MUCH from this thread by reading inputs from people with vastly differing opinions than my own.   I don't know if my 'decision' has changed, but my AWARENESS of the issues (that I previously had NO knowledge of) has increased tremendously.  Count to 10 or 10,000 if need be, but stay involved.  I HEAR YOU!  Democracy is not served by silence. 

Gun owners have already given up plenty, and the authorities refuse to enforce laws that are already in place. Why should those of us who wish to keep our rights give up even more? NOTHING that is being proposed will do anything to reduce gun violence, and that is why we are so vehemently against further regulation. Look at Chicago, Washington DC, New Orleans, etc., as proof of how well criminals follow gun regulations.

I don't truly believe that the bold is the reason that the NRA are against further regulation. The NRA is a shill for the gun industry. They disguise this fact by holding themselves up as some defender of liberty.

The NRA doesn't give a rat's behind about reducing gun violence, regardless of plans they trot out, plans which, coincidentally, increase the number of guns that would be sold. They care about selling more guns because that's where their money comes from.

I am speaking about the NRA here. Not any one individual, and not the people on this thread.

You are exactly right.  Here's a news flash......it is NOT the NRA's mission or responsibility to reduce gun violence.  That falls squarely on Law Enforcement and the Justice system.

I'm not a member of the NRA, but I sure as hell don't expect them to deal with gun violence. Here's another item to consider.....their membership is not committing gun crimes either....so why on earth WOULD they give a rat's arse?

2013-04-11 1:42 PM

User image

tealeaf - 2013-04-11 11:31 AM

Look, we disagree on this issue but your voice is crucial.  A spirited, public debate really IS the best path to 'reasonable' measures that EVERYONE can live with.  (Aplogies in advance if I don't word this correctly) If you go through with your vow you will simply become one of the Far Left/far Right stereo-types that make 'wedge' issue politics so effective.  Stay Engaged...Stay Vocal....I have learned SO MUCH from this thread by reading inputs from people with vastly differing opinions than my own.   I don't know if my 'decision' has changed, but my AWARENESS of the issues (that I previously had NO knowledge of) has increased tremendously.  Count to 10 or 10,000 if need be, but stay involved.  I HEAR YOU!  Democracy is not served by silence. 

Gun owners have already given up plenty, and the authorities refuse to enforce laws that are already in place. Why should those of us who wish to keep our rights give up even more? NOTHING that is being proposed will do anything to reduce gun violence, and that is why we are so vehemently against further regulation. Look at Chicago, Washington DC, New Orleans, etc., as proof of how well criminals follow gun regulations.

I don't truly believe that the bold is the reason that the NRA are against further regulation. The NRA is a shill for the gun industry. They disguise this fact by holding themselves up as some defender of liberty.

The NRA doesn't give a rat's behind about reducing gun violence, regardless of plans they trot out, plans which, coincidentally, increase the number of guns that would be sold. They care about selling more guns because that's where their money comes from.

I am speaking about the NRA here. Not any one individual, and not the people on this thread.

Nice Sig line. "It's harder to be a liberal than a conservative, because it's easier to give someone the finger than a helping hand."

2013-04-11 1:43 PM

User image

Elite
tealeaf - 2013-04-11 12:31 PM

They are a lobbying group like any other. I never really cared about them, and find some "gun" folks nuts. Guess what, I joined... just because the opposition is soooo ridiculous with what they are trying to do.

I don't always agree with the results of the work of the ACLU... fighting to get every kind of deviant out of trouble... but I am darn sure glad that they fight for our rights. I actually have a much higher opinion of them now knowing how fragile our rights are. And yes, the ACLU has some problems with gun control too.

So don't complian so loudly about the NRA and their agenda.... when elected officials are out right lying and misleading the public to pass legislation to trample on the 2A from their own bizzaro world agenda of a gun free world.

It never has been, and never will be about the object.... it is about power. If you doubt that, you have not been paying attention.

2013-04-11 1:52 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
pitt83 - 2013-04-11 1:04 PM
Brock Samson - 2013-04-11 1:02 PM
pitt83 - 2013-04-11 12:09 PM
Brock Samson - 2013-04-11 11:55 AM

To Pitt83, who I have to admit has valiantly stuck his hand into a hornets nest and has bravely, articulately argued his pro-gun control position, I have a question...

Assume that the Feinstein Assault Weapons Ban was passed without change, and the Toomey Background check bill passed without change...how would that have prevented Newtown?

Newtown is the stated impetus for all of these (Although we know that's not true because Feinstein had her bill drafted and ready to go prior to the Newtown shooting, she just used the Newtown shooting to unveil the draft).  The stated proposal by people like Feinstein, The President and the Vice President is to prevent another Newtown.  I believe the VP stated the same two days ago...

So how would ANY of these proposals, if in place prior to Newtown, have stopped that incident?  The reality is that they wouldn't have...

If the proposed bills are, or would be, or will be, ineffective to accomplish its stated goal, then what is it's real purpose?

I submit there are two real purposes and Newtown has nothing to do with these purposes.  THe first is that there is a group of ultra liberals that are  flat out anti-gun.  As a belief they do not believe in an individuals right to have a firearm and believe that the world would be better off if individual ownership of firearms was eliminated.  I believe that to this group of radical ultra liberals  these legislations are a "good first step" or getting the camels head in the tent so to speak.  The second reason is purely political.  The majority of those that espouse support for such legislation, have artfully used Newtown as a wedge issue, they have proposed legislation that they know has absolutely no chance of passage, and that much of which is probably unconstitutional.  They have packaged the notion of this legislation, with the express help of the press, as reasonable responses to a tragic circumstance.  That these proposals will in fact curtail violence, especially against children, and make our streets safer.   Additionally, artfully and skillfully arguing that being against these reasoned responsible legislative efforts is being for violence and against safety.  The end game is the 2014 elections. 

Of these I believe the greatest reality is the second.

OK Brock: Well said. I agree with you on many levels. No, in isolation, none of what is on the floor would have prevented Newtown. The root causes of the are Adam Lanza's mental illness and a mother who made the HORRIBLE decision to buy an arsenal and encourage and enable her son to use it. I don't propose we legislate parenting even when it's as agregiously bad as this. She paid with her own life because of her poor parenting. It's been acknowledged by the parents of the murder victims that today's legislation changes nothing in the past. President Obama acknowledges the same. I do as well. It's the future I and these others wish to affect. However, I think, if we are honest with ourselves: The status quo is terribly ineffective. Lots of rhetoric about why and how to fix the status quo. All of it valid and all of it contributory. What I hope for (and I consider myself a left-leaning thinker as most know) is that we all agree the status quo doesn't work. Laws aren't followed (see the lack of checking ID on that gun show video as a clear example), criminals have too easy a time obtaining weapons, mental illness is stigmatized, held in secrecy, shameful to most and ineffectively treated. All of these need discussed, homogenized and fixed to proved a balanced solution to a terribly poor status-quo. I hope you're wrong about being purely politically motivated. I'd like to believe my representatives, once in a while when an issue is this significant, they vote with their constituents in mind. You're pobably right though.

Pitt83 let me ask you one more question, would your thoughts on gun legislation and how it is currently being effectuated change if instead of "guns and ammunition" we were talking about Free speech or the use of the internet?

I can make a pretty compelling argument that speech and ideas are far more dangerous and have caused far more deaths and atrocities then guns have.  So why not limit the right of free speech in the same manner as guns all in the name of safety for the greater good?

You're into hyperbole here. That is not the issue under discussion.

To the contrary, it is inextricably intertwined with the issue we are discussing.  We are discussing a Constitutional Right, this fact seems to get lost in the rhetoric of those that espouse gun control legislation.  Neither in the debates I have seen in congress, nor on TV is this fact given the prominence it deserves.  Not just deserves, but this fact should be at the forefront of the discussion.  What is discussed instead is notions of "need", or now that a "majority of people polled agree with 'x'" with a very conspicuous absence of the notion that we are talking about a Constitutional Right here, and it is therefore upon the government to justify their curtailment of that right.  There is absolutely no requirement that firearm owner's justify their possession of firearms.  There is no needs test, there is no reasonableness test for the individual.  Any test is for the government to pass.

The notion that you believe that comparing one enumerated/God-given/natural right to another is hyperbole I believe demonstrates one of the glaring issues that has been either negligently or purposefully removed from the debate. These rights are intertwined if for no other reason then their passage at the same time in the bill of rights, and their seeming import to the framers with a specific instruction on both that the government was not to violate these rights.  I.E., the language of both the 1st and 2nd amendments seems to indicate that the rights contained in both amendments were sacrosanct.   The first amendment reads in part "Congress shall make no law...." and the second amendment reads in part: "...shall not be infringed." 

Then I propose an alternative question, that perhaps  you will not view as hyperbole: Should the rights enumerated in the second amendment be given the same protections as the other rights contained in the bill of rights? 

2013-04-11 1:56 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
tealeaf - 2013-04-11 2:31 PM

OK, true the NRA is a lobbying group for gun industry...but does that make the bolded part any less true?

2013-04-11 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4696648

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Brock Samson - 2013-04-11 2:56 PM

OK, true the NRA is a lobbying group for gun industry...but does that make the bolded part any less true?

Well... even on this thread I've heard the slippery slope argument used over and over. That new laws will lead to this, which will lead to this, etc. So actually, now that I think more about it, no, the bolded part isn't necessarily true for everyone. I think that many are against further regulation because they fear what it will lead to.

2013-04-11 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4696669

User image

Pro
tealeaf - 2013-04-11 2:09 PM

Well... even on this thread I've heard the slippery slope argument used over and over. That new laws will lead to this, which will lead to this, etc. So actually, now that I think more about it, no, the bolded part isn't necessarily true for everyone. I think that many are against further regulation because they fear what it will lead to.

Actually, YOU should be afraid of that too. 

This isn't being done to curb gun violence........because not a single proposal will play any role in that.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-04-11 2:14 PM
2013-04-11 2:23 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
tealeaf - 2013-04-11 3:09 PM

Again...this is cart before the horse.  It's not up to the citizens to defend why they are against this regulation, because this regulation impacts an enumerated Constitutional Right.  Thus, it is up to the government to demonstrate a legitimate compelling interest for why such legislatively created infringement is warranted.  The compelling state interest that has continually been espoused is one of safety and a reduction in gun violence.  The relationship between the proposed legislation and its actual effect on leading to the espoused goal of a reduction in gun violence is dubious at best.

Now regarding the "slippery slope" argument or the "black helicopter"  crew as another poster referred to it.  In this matter I will side with Madison and the founders who had such fear of the corruption of man and the impact of corruption on an otherwise legitimate form of government that they required the passage of the Bill of Rights.

As to a more definite and specific demonstration of the reality of the "slippery slope" argument, one need only read the Heller decision to see the gun legislation at issue there to see that in fact legislation has been passed that in effect has taken guns away from individuals.  This is the SUpreme Courts view of the legislation at issue in Heller, not mine.

You call it "slippery slope" I call it reality.  I base my view of reality on the facts of the Heller case, and indeed the passage of the Bill of RIghts itself.

2013-04-11 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4696702

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Brock Samson - 2013-04-11 2:23 PM

>Now regarding the "slippery slope" argument or the "black helicopter"  crew as another poster referred to it.  In this matter I will side with Madison and the founders who had such fear of the corruption of man and the impact of corruption on an otherwise legitimate form of government that they required the passage of the Bill of Rights>

Federalist Paper #46 was pretty clear on this.....Madison knew what he was saying/doing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_No._46

2013-04-11 2:41 PM

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs

As well, I do not speak to any efforts put forth by the NRA. I am simply a citizen of this once-great republic who is trying to maintain his rights against a sea of statists and progressives who would like to take them away from me.
2013-04-11 2:45 PM

User image

Elite
tealeaf - 2013-04-11 1:09 PM

And how many times have you heard the "slippery slope" argument for abortion rights?

How many times have you heard the "slippery slope" argument made for property rights, or search and siezure, or speech we find abhorant?

Answer: every one of them, and they were usually upheld with those..... you tell me one good reason who needs or why partial birth abortions are still legal?

And I am not against abortion at all... but I do see the need to not use them at 30 months as delayed birth control. Yet it is protected  for "privacy" tied to Constitutional rights.... and that whole slippery slope thing... because, then you know, women/doctors will just do it illegaly, because you know... you can't actually make people not do bad things.

2013-04-11 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4696744

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
powerman - 2013-04-11 3:45 PM

And how many times have you heard the "slippery slope" argument for abortion rights?

How many times have you heard the "slippery slope" argument made for property rights, or search and siezure, or speech we find abhorant?

Answer: every one of them, and they were usually upheld with those..... you tell me one good reason who needs or why partial birth abortions are still legal?

And I am not against abortion at all... but I do see the need to not use them at 30 months as delayed birth control. Yet it is protected  for "privacy" tied to Constitutional rights.... and that whole slippery slope thing... because, then you know, women/doctors will just do it illegaly, because you know... you can't actually make people not do bad things.

The slippery slope argument is logically fallacious, regardless of the context under which it is used.

2013-04-11 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4696768

User image

Elite
tealeaf - 2013-04-11 1:53 PM

The slippery slope argument is logically fallacious, regardless of the context under which it is used.

That's cool... it's a nice expession... but it's not needed. I already have, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

It's you job to prove why you feel restriction is needed. It is not mine to prove why it is not.

Edited by powerman 2013-04-11 3:00 PM
2013-04-11 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4696626

User image

Champion
PA
powerman - 2013-04-11 2:43 PM

They are a lobbying group like any other. I never really cared about them, and find some "gun" folks nuts. Guess what, I joined... just because the opposition is soooo ridiculous with what they are trying to do.

I don't always agree with the results of the work of the ACLU... fighting to get every kind of deviant out of trouble... but I am darn sure glad that they fight for our rights. I actually have a much higher opinion of them now knowing how fragile our rights are. And yes, the ACLU has some problems with gun control too.

So don't complian so loudly about the NRA and their agenda.... when elected officials are out right lying and misleading the public to pass legislation to trample on the 2A from their own bizzaro world agenda of a gun free world.

It never has been, and never will be about the object.... it is about power. If you doubt that, you have not been paying attention.

Exactly!  The left is failing miserably with the attack on the "NRA" because there are millions of people saying, "hey, they are talking about me."  Even my kids are members.  We area also members of GOA, 2nd Amendment Foundation and even NAGR.

2013-04-11 3:04 PM

User image

Champion
PA
tealeaf - 2013-04-11 3:53 PM

I just want to admit that my childish mind immediately thought about Lucky Charms being "magically delicious" as soon as I read "logically fallacious." 

2013-04-11 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4696783

User image

Champion
Chicago
Pector55 - 2013-04-11 3:02 PM

powerman - 2013-04-11 2:43 PM

Exactly!  The left is failing miserably with the attack on the "NRA" because there are millions of people saying, "hey, they are talking about me."  Even my kids are members.  We area also members of GOA, 2nd Amendment Foundation and even NAGR.

You're a member of NAGR yet you're against outright lying and misleading the public? Isn't that a bit hypocritical?
2013-04-11 3:12 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

You're flat out wrong.  IN legal terms it's not "slippery slope"; it's called legal precedence.   One legal precedence is used in future cases, cases that may be both factually and legally dissimilar to the original case, however the legal precedence is used to argue in favor of a change in the law.  One need only look at the notion of privacy rights to see precedence in action. 

What is one persons legal precedence is another person's slippery slope. 

2013-04-11 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4696788

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Pector55 - 2013-04-11 4:04 PM

I just want to admit that my childish mind immediately thought about Lucky Charms being "magically delicious" as soon as I read "logically fallacious." 

No childish would have been to giggle at the word fallacious.

2013-04-11 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
fallacious..heehhheeee

2013-04-11 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4694778

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Update: in the last 24 hours, it's become clear that not everyone has read and / or embraced the advice we've offered, which I've re-quoted below.

So....we've decided to freeze the thread for a week, with the hope that all concerned will take the opportunity to read the advice and hopefully join back in the debate in a way that respects the other site members. BT values spirited debate, but with the measure of respect that each member deserves.   

Please offer the courtesy of not starting other 2A/Gun control threads in the meantime. Thankyou. 

rkreuser - 2013-04-10 12:03 PM

***READ THIS*** 

Very flammable topic, lots of strong opinions. But under no circumstances will this thread, or any others stay, or users stay, if there are attacks on people. Or lightly disguised trolling. Especially on this topic. 

Here's some tips: if a post contains the word 'you', the post is headed that direction. If there's ridicule in a post, it's headed that direction. If there are inferences that someone is stupid or doesn't get it, it's headed that direction. If the post represents as fact something that's not, it's headed that direction. And hypothetically, if there's a post that everyone knows is over the line, and the justification is 'he/she started it, I was just replying in kind', it is that direction. And if a post uses someone else's words "in quotes", essentially mocking them, it's that direction. 

Discuss the topic, not the people. It's your choice until it becomes our choice. 

2013-04-18 12:41 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Behave; Go. 
2013-04-18 12:44 PM

User image

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ia_bxlaT0yivXIHcX...

Gun control loses: No expanded background checks
By agreement of Senate leaders, a 60-vote majority was required for approval of any of the provisions brought to a vote.

The vote on the background check was 54-46, well short of the 60 votes needed to advance. Forty-one Republicans and five Democrats voted to reject the plan.

The proposed ban on assault weapons commanded 40 votes; the bid to block sales of high capacity ammunition clips drew 46.

The NRA-backed proposal on concealed carry permits got 57.
2013-04-18 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4705749

User image

Sensei
Sin City

FINALLY!  Got my guns back!

Cuz I'm the roughest, toughest, rootinest, shootinest claim-jumper that ever jumped a claim, and I'm-a takin' over *your* claim! So get-a goin' a-fore I puncture your hide!

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  

of 48