General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-10-18 8:53 AM
in reply to: shellabree

User image

Grand Rapids
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
Originally posted by shellabree

OK IMFL friends, I need some encouragement.

I have come down with the plague (nasty cold); a gift from all of my co-workers who were ridiculously ill last week and decided to come to work anyway.

I was able to train Monday through Wednesday this week, but yesterday's interval ride turned into an easy 30 miles and this morning's 14 miler didn't happen at all. My HR was already 111 bpm when I walked out the door, which is about 40 bpm more than where it's at when I normally begin a run. So I smartly (I think) turned around.

My training has been solid up to this illness and if you had asked me how I felt about IMFL 5 days ago, I would have told you that confidence was high. Of course, now that I've had to scrap two of my last key workouts, confidence is slowly beginning to tank. The practical side of me knows that I won't undo many months of training just because I missed two workouts this week, but it's definitely doing some psychological damage.

I will be taking today and tomorrow as unscheduled rest days. Sunday is a 3 hour ride and I hope I'm OK for that. Argh.

I'm sure that others have experienced this and so words of encouragement, are well... encouraged!

Thanks all!

I'm in the same boat as far as co-workers coming to work and hacking/sneezing all over. I'm not "full-fledged" sick, but I feel like I'm starting to come down with something fun. I agree with what the others have said. Take the time off and reduce your duration when you do feel good enough to start back up. I have a 3 hr ride scheduled for Sunday and unless I've kicked this bug, I'm going to cut the duration by 1/3 to 1/2. We've been hard on our bodies all year..a couple missed workouts to recoup isn't going to derail all of the hard work that we've put in.

2013-10-18 10:09 AM
in reply to: hornjs

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
Originally posted by hornjs

Art of animation at Disney. Wish it were the swan/dolphin as they have a nice lap pool over there.

I know the bowling pin pool just next door at Pop Century is more than long enough if you just wanted to do a straight swim, although you'd have to turn around at the steps on each end. The pool opens at 7 am and I am usually able to get in a good :30 of easy swimming before heading out to the parks.

By the looks of it, the pools at Art of Animation are close to as big as the Bowling Pin pool at Pop0. Although you won't have any black lines to follow or lane ropes, you could make it work if you wanted to.

The run around hourglass lake isn't bad for about an hour or so, after that, I start to loose my mind.

(untitled.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
untitled.JPG (100KB - 10 downloads)
2013-10-18 10:57 AM
in reply to: thefitmitten

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Originally posted by thefitmitten
Originally posted by shellabreeOK IMFL friends, I need some encouragement.I have come down with the plague (nasty cold); a gift from all of my co-workers who were ridiculously ill last week and decided to come to work anyway.I was able to train Monday through Wednesday this week, but yesterday's interval ride turned into an easy 30 miles and this morning's 14 miler didn't happen at all. My HR was already 111 bpm when I walked out the door, which is about 40 bpm more than where it's at when I normally begin a run. So I smartly (I think) turned around.My training has been solid up to this illness and if you had asked me how I felt about IMFL 5 days ago, I would have told you that confidence was high. Of course, now that I've had to scrap two of my last key workouts, confidence is slowly beginning to tank. The practical side of me knows that I won't undo many months of training just because I missed two workouts this week, but it's definitely doing some psychological damage.I will be taking today and tomorrow as unscheduled rest days. Sunday is a 3 hour ride and I hope I'm OK for that. Argh.I'm sure that others have experienced this and so words of encouragement, are well... encouraged! Thanks all!
I'm in the same boat as far as co-workers coming to work and hacking/sneezing all over. I'm not "full-fledged" sick, but I feel like I'm starting to come down with something fun. I agree with what the others have said. Take the time off and reduce your duration when you do feel good enough to start back up. I have a 3 hr ride scheduled for Sunday and unless I've kicked this bug, I'm going to cut the duration by 1/3 to 1/2. We've been hard on our bodies all year..a couple missed workouts to recoup isn't going to derail all of the hard work that we've put in.
The hay is in the barn so to speak at this point. Rest and recover and hit the starting line HEALTHY. I think I have raced the last 3 years sick and its not fun. Just consider that you are starting your taper a bit early. Vitamin C zinc and lots of fluid and rest!!! Hope everyone feels better soon. Praying no one hacks up a lung near me but being a doc I get exposed to stuff more than most. RE: playing shell island is amazing. I think I have some pics in my album from IMFL2011 I am thinking a sunday picnis sounds lovely
2013-10-18 11:56 AM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Originally posted by rjrankin83I get in Wednesday afternoon so I'm up for group swims. Also I have every intention of coming back to watch the midnight finishers. The videos give me goosebumps hopefully I'll be well enough after racing to show up and not passed out in bed Is it true that the merch tent gets hit hard at 7am day after race? No sleeping in?
yes 7am and there will be aline at 7......its a zoo. You won't sleep anyway plus the clocks fall back an hour that night.
2013-10-18 1:40 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

79 degrees in PCB this afternoon.  Partly cloudy, with just a hint of a breeze.  Beach cam

Just in case you're at work and reading this thread instead of working.

I'm preparing to move today.  Good thing it's a rest day.

2013-10-18 2:34 PM
in reply to: shellabree

User image

I wouldn't worry about missing a small number of workouts at this point. If your training has been solid up to this point then 95% of your fitness level is already in the bank. Based on a few articles I've read, it takes around 8 days of inactivity to start losing fitness. I would focus on getting healthy and easing back into your remaining training rather than trying to follow your training program before you are fully recovered. I paused my training for 5 days a few months ago because of illness and to my surprise my body felt stronger when I started up again because it had time to fully recover from all of the training I had done.

Good luck

Steve

2013-10-18 3:05 PM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Expert
I could swim on Monday
2013-10-18 4:07 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

For those with kids and concerns about trick or treating on thursday at 3:30 they are having trick or treating at the expo.  I got an email thru a tri club thing.  Not sure if everyone got it so thought I would share.  They will have prizes for the best costume for kids and adults.

2013-10-18 6:35 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
I am rolling in on Monday after a 14 hour drive from Va Beach, I'm up for anything Tue-Fri. Staying at the Shores of Panama
2013-10-18 10:37 PM
in reply to: LSUfan4444

User image

Regular
Originally posted by LSUfan4444

Originally posted by hornjs

Art of animation at Disney. Wish it were the swan/dolphin as they have a nice lap pool over there.

I know the bowling pin pool just next door at Pop Century is more than long enough if you just wanted to do a straight swim, although you'd have to turn around at the steps on each end. The pool opens at 7 am and I am usually able to get in a good :30 of easy swimming before heading out to the parks.

By the looks of it, the pools at Art of Animation are close to as big as the Bowling Pin pool at Pop0. Although you won't have any black lines to follow or lane ropes, you could make it work if you wanted to.

The run around hourglass lake isn't bad for about an hour or so, after that, I start to loose my mind.

Thanks, that really helps. Looks like the run around the lake will do just fine for multiple repeats.
Im sure I can make the pool work to keep the muscles in tune and don't lose a whole lot of swim fitness.
2013-10-19 3:54 PM
in reply to: thefitmitten

Veteran
Originally posted by thefitmitten

Originally posted by shellabree

OK IMFL friends, I need some encouragement.

I have come down with the plague (nasty cold); a gift from all of my co-workers who were ridiculously ill last week and decided to come to work anyway.

I was able to train Monday through Wednesday this week, but yesterday's interval ride turned into an easy 30 miles and this morning's 14 miler didn't happen at all. My HR was already 111 bpm when I walked out the door, which is about 40 bpm more than where it's at when I normally begin a run. So I smartly (I think) turned around.

My training has been solid up to this illness and if you had asked me how I felt about IMFL 5 days ago, I would have told you that confidence was high. Of course, now that I've had to scrap two of my last key workouts, confidence is slowly beginning to tank. The practical side of me knows that I won't undo many months of training just because I missed two workouts this week, but it's definitely doing some psychological damage.

I will be taking today and tomorrow as unscheduled rest days. Sunday is a 3 hour ride and I hope I'm OK for that. Argh.

I'm sure that others have experienced this and so words of encouragement, are well... encouraged!

Thanks all!

I am with you. The furlough destroyed my training. Starting Oct. 1, the few of us that worked worked crazy hours each day, plus an extra day each week so it was way more than 8 days of no real training. it was three weeks of no real training and now it is too late. I don't know how it is possible for me to do this. All I can do is start and hope I at least get out of the water on time. So sad, so frustrating. But I will bring my cow bells to cheer.

2013-10-20 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
Originally posted by jashac

Originally posted by aintaround Kona in the books - now time for a few days recovery, a couple days of build, then the long awaited taper.... Whew.

I was rooting for you.  How did it go?

Crossed at 14:28 and change . Wow what an experience - the swim was great, the bike epic (epic only used because of lack of education on my part) the run was awesome.

I've had better race times, harder race courses but never this experience -

Oh yeah I did the underpants run as part of the pre race festivities - lots of fun and it seemed like the town enjoyed this as much as other finish lines I've been involved with.

I can't wait to get back out there.
2013-10-20 5:19 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
6 hours on the trainer followed by and 8 mile run. Everything nice and easy. Feel great. Stay safe everyone.
2013-10-20 5:52 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Master
Bronze member

6 hrs on the trainer???? you get the gold star for mental fortitude for sure..will do you good on IM day..

I feel cranky enough riding  4 outside!!!

2013-10-21 10:51 AM
in reply to: isis

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Happy Monday kids!! Hope everyone is enjoying taper as much as I am. I LOVE taper. I acutally had time to vacuum my house and my legs did not feel like complete pooh while I did it!! Its amazing how much you can get down on a sunday when you are home and showered by noon. Love it12 days getting super excited!!!! Mostly I just want to be done and away from work and get to see my friends Unfortunately I have call all week BBBBOOOOOOOO
2013-10-21 11:21 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Champion
MA

Wed:

8 am Swim meet at patio/deck behind Boardwalk Beach Hotel near center of hotel on beach side

Thursday:

8am Swim meet on patio/deck behind Boardwalk Beach Hotel near center on beach side
12:00 Lizas Kitchen, 7008 Thomas Drive, PCB-very casual come when you can, lots of seating and often folks come and go

Friday:

8 am:  Group Swim meet on patio/deck behind Boardwalk Beach Hotel beach side (host hotel) near center

Sunday:
If interest pontoon to Shell Island and see the dolphins in pm will be about 4 hours but we drive the pontoon

6pm: Mellow Mushroom Pizza 8746 Thomas Drive, PCB-hopefully we can get a big table upstairs

2013-10-21 5:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Rowlett, TX (Dallas area)
Originally posted by KathyG

Wed:

8 am Swim meet at patio/deck behind Boardwalk Beach Hotel near center of hotel on beach side

Thursday:

8am Swim meet on patio/deck behind Boardwalk Beach Hotel near center on beach side
12:00 Lizas Kitchen, 7008 Thomas Drive, PCB-very casual come when you can, lots of seating and often folks come and go

Friday:

8 am:  Group Swim meet on patio/deck behind Boardwalk Beach Hotel beach side (host hotel) near center

Sunday:
If interest pontoon to Shell Island and see the dolphins in pm will be about 4 hours but we drive the pontoon

6pm: Mellow Mushroom Pizza 8746 Thomas Drive, PCB-hopefully we can get a big table upstairs

I get in Wed afternoon so I am definitely interested in meeting to swim Thu & Fri because I need as much practice in that ocean as I can get! And maybe lunch too, I'll have to verify my plans.

Do you have any guess on the cost of the pontoon to Shell Island? That sounds fun, but I will have some family still in town so that might affect our decision.

Edited by jec03 2013-10-21 5:39 PM
2013-10-21 7:46 PM
in reply to: jec03

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Hi guys, two ideas at this point.  I've made some good friends over the years going to races with BT folks.

In order to be able to recognize each other and to make names easier to remember (I'm terrible at this) I have two suggestions.

Perhaps you might want to change your avatar to a recognizable facial picture. 

To help with names, here is a chart with the last two pages of folks who have posted on the last two pages of the forum.  If you want to add your name, or correct it I think you can copy this and add to it.  Or you could just post what you want, and for a couple days I'll add names and screen names to the list.  I'll see about doing a Google Docs thing, but I'm no computer whiz, and have limited time.  If someone wants to do that feel free.

BT Screen nameFirstLastGoal
aintaroundJoelRoyston 
CarlGCarl  
clfarmerCraigFarmer 
crmonty16ClaytonM 
DaffodilLaura  
godekjamesJamesGodek 
hornjsJeff  
isisJo  
jashacJashaCultreriFinish and don't damage myself
jec03Jayne  
Jorgito22Jorgito  
KathyGKathyGraves 
kenjKen  
LarchmontTri   
LSUfan4444Adam  
papson14ChrisPapson 
PebbleJohnHughes 
rjrankin83RobertRankin 
salasmanLorenSalas 
Shaidar   
sheesleeva   
shellabree   
SocksSuanOtt 
thefitmittenChris  
tmheartdr   

2013-10-21 7:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
MA

Pontoon is $150 or less for half day and we can likely put 12-15 people on pontoon. Depending on how full we are, cost is likely $10/person or less if we have a full capacity boat or $20-25 if we have a partially full boat. The price was better the year we paid cash and used the launch from the State Park....$100 for half day which was less than advertised price with coupon.

Depending on your family size you could get your own and go along with us or at a different time.

This has been my favorite activitiy each time I've done it. We see dolphins each year, the solitude and beauty of the island is amazing. Great to bring some food, beer, whatever and have a picnic on Shell island.

Edited by KathyG 2013-10-21 7:50 PM
2013-10-21 7:53 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Here's the link to a spreadsheet on Google docs.

Lets see if it works.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqFMmpX-8XL2dFZsYU14aWt6eFQ0bHM1cXE2TnJ2WVE&usp=sharing

Try it if you want to play.  It says that changes are saved as they are made.

Jasha

2013-10-21 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran

Lets see if it works.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqFMmpX-8XL2dFZsYU14aWt6eFQ0bHM1cXE2TnJ2WVE&usp=sharing

Jasha

I tried to add some info but it wouldn't let me type anything....suggestions?

2013-10-21 9:47 PM
in reply to: Jorgito22

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by Jorgito22

Lets see if it works.

Jasha

It let me add my bib and goal to the doc
2013-10-21 9:47 PM
in reply to: Jorgito22

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by Jorgito22

Lets see if it works.

Jasha

Thanks Jorgito,

Error on my part.  There's a little place where you  specify whether anyone can view, or anyone can edit.  I changed it from view to edit.

Please try again.  It "should" work.  I'm new at this but it looks easy enough.  Please let me know.

2013-10-21 9:51 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.

In practice there is.

2013-10-21 10:04 PM

User image

Regular
Looks like it worked for me on the spreadsheet thingy. Nice.
At Disney, managed to sneek a few runs in around the lake thats about it. Trying not to pig out on the rediculous amount of food that they serve here.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 41