Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2013-04-18 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4705749

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: 'The' Gun Thread

rkreuser - 2013-04-18 12:41 PM Behave; Go. 

Yay

+1 on the Behave. 

2013-04-18 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4705762

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

DanielG - 2013-04-18 12:44 PM http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ia_bxlaT0yivXIHcX... Gun control loses: No expanded background checks
By agreement of Senate leaders, a 60-vote majority was required for approval of any of the provisions brought to a vote. The vote on the background check was 54-46, well short of the 60 votes needed to advance. Forty-one Republicans and five Democrats voted to reject the plan. The proposed ban on assault weapons commanded 40 votes; the bid to block sales of high capacity ammunition clips drew 46. The NRA-backed proposal on concealed carry permits got 57.

I think this is an example of where Obama broke his golden rule.  Never get into an issue that you don't have a clear path to victory.

The true irony of it all, is by pushing so hard on this legislation he and the Dems likely creation a new legion of 2A supporters that never existed before, and put millions of new guns in the hands of law abiding citizens across America.  So, for that I salute him.

2013-04-18 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4705762

User image

Elite

DanielG - 2013-04-18 11:44 AM http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ia_bxlaT0yivXIHcX... Gun control loses: No expanded background checks
By agreement of Senate leaders, a 60-vote majority was required for approval of any of the provisions brought to a vote. The vote on the background check was 54-46, well short of the 60 votes needed to advance. Forty-one Republicans and five Democrats voted to reject the plan. The proposed ban on assault weapons commanded 40 votes; the bid to block sales of high capacity ammunition clips drew 46. The NRA-backed proposal on concealed carry permits got 57.

Ya, how "shameful". All the talking heads of course are saying they completely went against the vast majority of American's wishes....

That's really weird, because when gun control passed here in Colorado... they did so against the vast majority of Coloradoans that were there and against it.... but there was that one couple from out of state that got to address the Senate that was for it.... and of course those other guys from Washington that kept calling telling them how to vote.

Edited by powerman 2013-04-18 12:58 PM
2013-04-18 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
page 1 on the behave... YAY!
2013-04-18 1:03 PM
in reply to: #4705801

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
powerman - 2013-04-18 1:57 PM

DanielG - 2013-04-18 11:44 AM http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ia_bxlaT0yivXIHcX... Gun control loses: No expanded background checks

Ya, how "shameful". All the talking heads of course are saying they completely went against the vast majority of American's wishes....

That's really weird, because when gun control passed here in Colorado... they did so against the vast majority of Coloradoans that were there and against it.... but there was that one couple from out of state that got to address the Senate that was for it.... and of course those other guys from Washington that kept calling telling them how to vote.

Ok, I'm jumping in and picking on Powerman because this isn't how this thread is going to go. And if you choose to keep it going that way, it just won't be.

Using a word in quotes is disingenuous; what you really meant to say is that the decision was right and just, and that the media and lobbying interests have kept it in the public eye in a different light than the public vote reflected. So just say it. 

Using "shameful" in quotes is adding a vitriolic component to your argument, in essence, trolling. I will say, right here and now: if that's the tone that keeps up, assume this topic is gone. Forever. 

That's your warning. And it took 5 posts to get it. 

2013-04-18 1:08 PM

User image

Pro
Powerman - you have shot yourself in the foot. Laughing 

2013-04-18 1:10 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Wow.  Really?  We're going to get that picky on wording?  So to be clear, we're not allowed to use sarcasm anymore?  (I don't see the trolling, sorry).
2013-04-18 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4705789

User image

tuwood - 2013-04-18 12:54 PM

DanielG - 2013-04-18 12:44 PM http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ia_bxlaT0yivXIHcX... Gun control loses: No expanded background checks

I think this is an example of where Obama broke his golden rule.  Never get into an issue that you don't have a clear path to victory.

The true irony of it all, is by pushing so hard on this legislation he and the Dems likely creation a new legion of 2A supporters that never existed before, and put millions of new guns in the hands of law abiding citizens across America.  So, for that I salute him.

Interesting thought there. 

2013-04-18 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4705815

User image

rkreuser - 2013-04-18 2:03 PM

Ok, I'm jumping in and picking on Powerman because this isn't how this thread is going to go. And if you choose to keep it going that way, it just won't be.

Using a word in quotes is disingenuous; what you really meant to say is that the decision was right and just, and that the media and lobbying interests have kept it in the public eye in a different light than the public vote reflected. So just say it. 

Using "shameful" in quotes is adding a vitriolic component to your argument, in essence, trolling. I will say, right here and now: if that's the tone that keeps up, assume this topic is gone. Forever. 

If it's going to close, then it's going to close but that's not how I read his post.

He used quotes, not to add anything but to directly quote someone using the word "Shameful" in relation to how this bill was voted. It was on national telecasts and that's exactly the word used so it does deserve to be in quotes. powerman then went on to come out and that the talking heads were saying, blah, blah. But the word "shameful" come from this news item:

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-obama-background-check-v...
Obama: Senate gun vote marks 'shameful day in Washington'

Okay, now I'm confused. Aren't you supposed to put quotes around a quote?

2013-04-18 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4705842

User image

Pro
DanielG - 2013-04-18 1:11 PM

If it's going to close, then it's going to close but that's not how I read his post. He used quotes, not to add anything but to directly quote someone using the word "Shameful" in relation to how this bill was voted. It was on national telecasts and that's exactly the word used so it does deserve to be in quotes. powerman then went on to come out and that the talking heads were saying, blah, blah. But the word "shameful" come from this news item: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-obama-background-check-v...

Yeah, rkreuser, you may have missed that one.  That was a word that Obama used to describe the vote.  It's proper to quote it in that context......no?

2013-04-18 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I will just say I was happy with the outcome and glad to see our system work. Our government was set up so that the white house couldn't do anything or get everything that it wants. The system worked yesterday and for that I am glad.

I don't find it appropriate for the white house to dog on our system and the people there-in because things didn't go their way no matter who is in the white house. 

Will be interesting to see what happens next.

Oh and dang, oh so close on the concealed permit law. I have mixed feelings on it. On the one side I like the idea of states deciding their own rules. But at the same time I see a reason for the feds to step in on something like this. It is confusing, burdensome and legally dangerous the way it is now. I can carry a gun in my pocket with my CWP where I am now but if I drive 40 miles west of here I will get thrown in jail for it, makes it harder to be law abiding. If nothing else some sort of dedicated official trip planning website would be useful so you know if you are legal or not when traveling. 

2013-04-18 1:25 PM

User image

Champion
PA
As I mentioned on a gun forum, I would like to see gun owners stop being complacent and start pushing congress to address things proactively.  Start pushing at the state level to refuse parole for violent criminals.  Address at the federal level, peacable journey to include planes being rerouted to states not originally intended for stop (where you become a criminal just by taking possession).  There are a lot of things that need to be addressed.
2013-04-18 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4705815

User image

Pro
rkreuser - 2013-04-18 1:03 PM

I got to laughing when thinking about what you wrote in the bolded part......in my best Spicoli voice, "dude, you just admonished the President".  Laughing

Edited by Left Brain 2013-04-18 1:26 PM
2013-04-18 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4705866

User image

Aarondb4 - 2013-04-18 2:18 PM

Oh and dang, oh so close on the concealed permit law. I have mixed feelings on it. On the one side I like the idea of states deciding their own rules. But at the same time I see a reason for the feds to step in on something like this. It is confusing, burdensome and legally dangerous the way it is now. I can carry a gun in my pocket with my CWP where I am now but if I drive 40 miles west of here I will get thrown in jail for it, makes it harder to be law abiding. If nothing else some sort of dedicated official trip planning website would be useful so you know if you are legal or not when traveling. 

NNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!! The feds get involved and that makes it legit they're involved. Then the next year it becomes a matter of "gee, there should be universal training requirements if we're going to make it reciprocal, so they choose the most restrictive requirements and make it a restrictive "may issue"

Have you read Pelosi's bill on just that she was trying to get passed a few years ago?
MUST have psych review every year
MUST have 8 hours training
MUST have X (don't remember) hours range
MUST have signature of local sheriff
etc, etc.

Thank goodness that got thrown away.

2013-04-18 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4705887

User image

Left Brain - 2013-04-18 2:25 PM

• ..in my best Spicoli voice,

• Mr Hand, I was thinking about that. If I'm here and you're here, doesn't that make it OUR time?

2013-04-18 1:31 PM
    in reply to: #4705890

User image

Expert
    Boise, ID

DanielG - 2013-04-18 12:26 PM
    Aarondb4 - 2013-04-18 2:18 PM Oh and dang, oh so close on the concealed permit law. I have mixed feelings on it. On the one side I like the idea of states deciding their own rules. But at the same time I see a reason for the feds to step in on something like this. It is confusing, burdensome and legally dangerous the way it is now. I can carry a gun in my pocket with my CWP where I am now but if I drive 40 miles west of here I will get thrown in jail for it, makes it harder to be law abiding. If nothing else some sort of dedicated official trip planning website would be useful so you know if you are legal or not when traveling. 
    NNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!! The feds get involved and that makes it legit they're involved. Then the next year it becomes a matter of "gee, there should be universal training requirements if we're going to make it reciprocal, so they choose the most restrictive requirements and make it a restrictive "may issue" Have you read Pelosi's bill on just that she was trying to get passed a few years ago? MUST have psych review every year MUST have 8 hours training MUST have X (don't remember) hours range MUST have signature of local sheriff etc, etc. Thank goodness that got thrown away.

Very good points indeed. 

As I said I was undecided on it. Sounds convenient and would be fine if it was run like driver's licenses with the state regulating and issuing. But as you said would most likely lead to federal regulation and ridiculous requirements.

I am happy with what Idaho did this year. We know have an enhanced permit that will give us reciprocity with 40 states, much better than the 20 something that we have now. 

2013-04-18 2:32 PM
    in reply to: #4705852

User image

Champion
    Gold member
    Left Brain - 2013-04-18 2:14 PM
    DanielG - 2013-04-18 1:11 PM

If it's going to close, then it's going to close but that's not how I read his post. He used quotes, not to add anything but to directly quote someone using the word "Shameful" in relation to how this bill was voted. It was on national telecasts and that's exactly the word used so it does deserve to be in quotes. powerman then went on to come out and that the talking heads were saying, blah, blah. But the word "shameful" come from this news item: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-obama-background-check-v...

Yeah, rkreuser, you may have missed that one.  That was a word that Obama used to describe the vote.  It's proper to quote it in that context......no?

I didn't miss that one, even a little. 

If that quote is attributable to the president, then attribute it to him. Without that context, it was read perfectly properly. I didn't have that context. 

And if it's sarcasm that was intended, use the sarc font. If not, attribute the quote to whom it is ascribed. 

Either you communicate clearly on the hot topics, or you don't. If you don't, it goes sideways. I also noticed DanielG in his news post didn't quote his source. Almost said something there, but didn't.

And I don't have a dog in the fight. So any thoughts of viewing this as 'one sided modding' should be put to bed. Any more mention of that is a non-starter. 

You know the thread is being modded closely. Toe the line. This will be my last post on this, in-line. 

2013-04-18 2:47 PM
    in reply to: #4706034

User image

rkreuser - 2013-04-18 3:32 PM

I also noticed DanielG in his news post didn't quote his source. Almost said something there, but didn't.

Okay, now I'm completely confused. Look at the top of my post, where there's a link to a hostednews/ap from google. If you click the link that's in my post you go directly to the source of my quote.

I'm not sure how I can make that one more obvious, sorry.

DanielG - 2013-04-18 1:44 PM

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ia_bxlaT0yivXIHcX...

Gun control loses: No expanded background checks
    By agreement of Senate leaders, a 60-vote majority was required for approval of any of the provisions brought to a vote.

The vote on the background check was 54-46, well short of the 60 votes needed to advance. Forty-one Republicans and five Democrats voted to reject the plan.

The proposed ban on assault weapons commanded 40 votes; the bid to block sales of high capacity ammunition clips drew 46.

The NRA-backed proposal on concealed carry permits got 57.
    2013-04-18 2:51 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I find Trevor Burris' article, Gun Debate Won't End Until There is Respect on Both Sides, instructive as to why the gun debate is so heated.  Taking a few steps back could lead to a better debate - overall and on BT.

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/gun-debate-wont-end-until-there-respect-both-sides

User image

Pro
    This thread is doomed. Laughing
    in reply to: #4705866

User image

Expert
    Boise, Idaho
    Aarondb4 - 2013-04-18 12:18 PM

I will just say I was happy with the outcome and glad to see our system work. Our government was set up so that the white house couldn't do anything or get everything that it wants. The system worked yesterday and for that I am glad.

Since we're all pretty sure what side everyone is on here, I'll say this....this is exactly how the system is BROKEN.  This wasn't a vote for/against background checks; it was partisian politics and re-election money coming from the lobbyists.  Pro-gun AND Anti-gun money.  Democrats and Republicans alike are guilty. 

Those who choose to wrap themselves in the constitution while proclaiming the founding fathers insisted their 2A rights are god-given should bow their heads in shame at the MANNER in which this decision was reached.  This was a glaring example of just how broken our Democracy really is.  This is NOT what the founding fathers intended.

So, yeah, I'm disappointed in the outcome.  If the decision went YOUR way; then congratulations to you.  But if you think for a minute this vote was not based soley upon the money and politics of re-election, then I have some land I'd like to sell you.

Edited by jeffnboise 2013-04-18 2:52 PM

2013-04-18 2:55 PM
    in reply to: #4706080

User image

jeffnboise - 2013-04-18 2:51 PM

Since we're all pretty sure what side everyone is on here, I'll say this....this is exactly how the system is BROKEN.  This wasn't a vote for/against background checks; it was partisian politics and re-election money coming from the lobbyists.  Pro-gun AND Anti-gun money.  Democrats and Republicans alike are guilty. 

Those who choose to wrap themselves in the constitution while proclaiming the founding fathers insisted their 2A rights are god-given should bow their heads in shame at the MANNER in which this decision was reached.  This was a glaring example of just how broken our Democracy really is.  This is NOT what the founding fathers intended.

So, yeah, I'm disappointed in the outcome.  If the decision went YOUR way; then congratulations to you.  But if you think for a minute this vote was not based soley upon the money and politics of re-election, then I have some land I'd like to sell you.

Funny thing is that I think people were making the same points when the stimulus passed.  "It's not going to do anything, it's just a Democrat pork bill."  

Our system has gotten pretty messed-up by party-line voting and pork add-ons to bills.  At least when a bill dies, the taxpayers don't have to pay for the enactment of it...

2013-04-18 2:56 PM
    in reply to: #4706069

User image

Champion
    Gold member

DanielG - 2013-04-18 3:47 PM
    rkreuser - 2013-04-18 3:32 PM I also noticed DanielG in his news post didn't quote his source. Almost said something there, but didn't.
    Okay, now I'm completely confused. Look at the top of my post, where there's a link to a hostednews/ap from google. If you click the link that's in my post you go directly to the source of my quote. I'm not sure how I can make that one more obvious, sorry.
    DanielG - 2013-04-18 1:44 PM http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ia_bxlaT0yivXIHcX... Gun control loses: No expanded background checks

That's my bad. I read past it. Carry on.

2013-04-18 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
    Boise, ID
    jeffnboise - 2013-04-18 1:51 PM

Thanks for your effort to get the thread pulled. Consider the bait not taken. 

ETA: bolded sections that are in clear violation of "the rules". 

Edited by Aarondb4 2013-04-18 2:59 PM
    2013-04-18 2:57 PM

User image

jeffnboise - 2013-04-18 3:51 PM

This is an argument I don't get. "Politics of reelection" If the person does what the voters want, the person gets reelected. If the person does not do what the voters want, the person doesn't get reelected. Isn't doing what the voters of that person's district want exactly what the person is elected to do?

I've heard that argument and it still makes me do:

I vote for someone based on how I believe that person will vote on issues important to me.
    I will vote for that person again if they prove me right and I will vote for the other person if they do not.
    Saying someone voted based on getting reelected and meaning it as a negative, I just don't understand.

New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  

of 48